Exercise! - Gyms or Home?

View Full Version : Gyms or Home?

TimesOnMySide
02-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Do you prefer to work out at home or the gym?

peachcake
02-29-2008, 02:47 PM
The gym. If I try to work out at home I'll have four cats and a beast of a dog crawling all over me.

Lovely
02-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I prefer the gym. I kind of feel like I have to force myself to work out at home. But, I do it when I have to :)

oakgiraffes
02-29-2008, 02:50 PM
I perfer working out outside.

Annie

hardatwork
02-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I would rather work out at a gym but it's so hard to make time to go. I get off work at 5 and have 2 young kids. So, I ususally stick to my elliptical at home.

SCraver
02-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Depends... I am weird... I go through phases. Right now, I am working out at home - I have a treadmill. But sometimes I go through phases where I can't motivate myself to workout if I am at home (I get distracted with the dishes, laundry, TV, etc.), so I sign up for the gym and go there. I have been a member at Planet Fitness, Work Out World, and Bally's in the last 7 years! Lol! I love the group classes...

MelissaNJ
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
@ home, with my turbo jam tapes...i want to join a gym where have TJ classes. free weights, cardio, resistance bands, the works.

LittleMoonRabbit
02-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Gym. If I work out at home I get distracted and end up doing something else... like coming on the internet or playing with my dog. If I go to the gym, I will easily work out for an hour at a time because I went through the work of getting my butt over there

Robin41
02-29-2008, 04:14 PM
The gym. I get bored if I do the same cardio all the time. I like the option of the treadmill one day, elliptical or rowing machine the next.

I also have three large labradors that follow me from room to room. I hate to see what they'd do if I started trying to workout to a DVD.

meldogml84
02-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I like to work out at home myself. I have the balance ball, the bands and my tapes. I prefer Tae Bo becuase you get a really good sweat out of it everytime you do it! I never really liked packing all my things up and heading to the gym, just not enough time for that in my life I guess. I work out every morning for an hour before I head off to work, I love it!

LovemyPuppies
02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Definately the gym. I feel much more motivated because I see everyone else working out so hard. Plus, like many others, I have my dogs at home that don't like me doing anything they aren't involved in :)

Serena C
03-01-2008, 01:13 PM
At home for me. Going to the gym takes too much time (especially if I have to brush off the car :)). It's so easy for me to just put on my workout clothes, hop on the elliptical, do my time, and hop in the shower.

MissGiggles
03-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Depends on my mood. I don't have a treadmill so I use the gym. The weights areas crowded right now so I sometimes do those at home, sometimes at the gym.

FrouFrou
03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Definitely prefer home...always feel like people are looking at me at the gym. I have weights, bike, treadmill and hoping to add an elliptical in May to my little home gym...plus several dvds. about 10 I think.

summerlove
03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
The gym, group aerobics classes.
If I was doing an aerobics tape at home I'll usually give up half way through.
At the gym I do it for the whole hour.

MissGiggles
03-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh and yoga I prefer to do it at the gym. Definitely helps to have an instructor lead the class.

Apple Cheeks
03-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Home.

I hate the hassle of going to a gym, waiting for equipment, etc. I'm self-conscious about the way I look, and especially about how uncoordinated I am. At home I can flail around all I want knowing no one can see how goofy I look! :dizzy:

For now, I'm doing aerobics tapes and going for the occasional walk in the hilly neighborhoods nearby. In the future, though, I will start jogging again and leave the tapes for rainy days.

LeedaRenee
03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I like both, though I don't have a gym membership right now. I'd like one for the childcare so I could run without a stroller, but then again, I hate running on a treadmill. I do like the convenience of just popping in a DVD and getting in a workout at home.

TimesOnMySide
03-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I like both, though I don't have a gym membership right now. I'd like one for the childcare so I could run without a stroller, but then again, I hate running on a treadmill. I do like the convenience of just popping in a DVD and getting in a workout at home.

I also prefer the gym since theres so much I can mix in my routine. Like 24 Hour Fitness offers more than just treadmills. They have a bunch of group classes like Yoga or Dance classes I cam mix in. Not to mention they have saunas and spas too. :)

LeedaRenee and Hardatwork- If you are trying to find a gym with childcare, 24 Hour Fitness has a program called Kids Club. You work out and they play in a supervised area. Is that something that would help?

BlueToBlue
03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Definitely the gym! My house is way too small for me to work out in. There is absolutely no room for any type of cardio equipment and if I did any sort of aerobics or anything, I'd most surely knock something over and break it. :sorry: There's barely enough room to stretch.

Also, I like having the choice of equipment, classes, and sauna afterwards. Sometimes I get ideas for exercises to try by watching other people at the gym. Finally, there are cute trainers to watch at the gym ;) --definitely a bonus.

PhotoChick
03-13-2008, 03:20 AM
For me it has to be a gym.

1 - I don't have room in my 2 bedroom townhouse for a lot of equipment. I do have an exercise ball and a mat and I often do situps and basic yoga at home, but for real cardio and for weight lifting, I have to have a gym with a variety of equipment.

2 - I don't have the willpower/motivation to make myself workout at home. If I'm home , I want to be in my jammies and hanging out. Or (since I'm self employed) I tend to get distracted by work and wind up sitting at the computer in my workout clothes and not actually exericising.

3 - I need the motivation of having paid $$. If I pay for the membership, then I'm damn well going to use it! At home, I don't have that motivation.

pipernoswiper
03-13-2008, 04:01 AM
depends i like 2 walk at home but go 2 the gym 2 swim

KatieK
03-13-2008, 09:55 AM
For me it's definitely at home.
Since I start my workout between 5 and 6 am it's just so much easier to go downstairs.
We have a treadmill and my husband bought quite a few WL machines about 10 years ago that are still fine.
The only one I use now since I am doing pretty much all free weights is the lat pulldown station.
I also got bowflex weights ( where you can dial the weight you want and it goes up by 2 and 1/2 lbs which is great) a swiss ball for crunches, and we have a bench.
I do my yoga downstairs too at the end of each workout.
Since we have cable and a tv downstairs I can listen to the great music stations when I work out.
Someday fairly soon I would like to buy a squat rack but I'm not there yet.

diamondgeog
03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Home for sure.

Gym is just too much hassle unless I got one very close to home. But normal 3-7 miles when I factor in time in the car (gas prices also) parking getting in, changing, getting settled, finding equipment, basically everything but actually being on equipment then going home it works out to more time than getting a good workout at home in total.

Just bought a schwinn 418 elliptical. Incredibly sturdy, very challenging, good clean smooth stride, good choice of computer programs. For me and my wife going monthly to a gym it will pay for itself in less than 10 months.

And for my lifestyle will use it way more than going to a gym. Just too much time overall going to a gym. Plus watch recorded tv from the previous days when working out so get that done at the same time.

KimL1214
03-13-2008, 02:25 PM
I can't afford the gym, so I do most of my workouts at home. I do work at a school that has a pool though, which because I am an employee I can use anytime after hours for free. I've started swimming 3-4 times a week on the off days that I don't work out at home.

skinny4me
03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
I exercise at home because there are no gyms near by worth going to. I pop in a video and workout. I also have a 16 month old son so my schedule is unperdictable at times and my only time to workout is his naps.

Hat Trick
03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Homebody here. I simply can't justify spending money on a gym membership and then driving there when I have space at home. We even have a new Y near us and I did check it out - simply beautiful - but at $1,000/yr for a family membership, ah no thanks. I was tempted because the pool would be good for the kids in the summer, but I found a pool near us for $200 for the summer season instead.

I'm up early (5a.m.) and get two of them out the door by 7a.m. and have a good hour b/4 the last one leaves. If I waited till she was gone, I'd never get my butt outta the door to the gym anyway! I have a TM, free wts, stability ball, total gym (ok, so we don't really use this much), many different dvds for cardio, yoga, pilates, etc. And the funnest workout of all -- walking the dog. Love to see her bounce of the wall when the magic 'walkie' word is uttered. 'Car ride' sets her off too. :lol: :lol:

hellcatjill
03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I prefer the gym, but since we moved a lot farther from the gym (well, any gym) and gas prices have gone up even more, I don't have the extra money for a gym membership currently. Plus, I have an 8 month old baby and work from home full-time, so if I packed up and drove to the gym, worked out, showered and drove back home, it would take a good 2 1/2 hours, and I barely have time to get my work finished by my deadline each day as it is! I love the WATP DVDs and we bought a treadmill a couple of months ago, and I LOVE IT! Someday I'd love to get a gym membership again, but we'll see. I'm also looking forward to warm weather so I can get some use out of my jogging stroller!

tormentated
03-17-2008, 07:48 AM
I always find it interesting how everyone is SO different.

I enjoy working out OUTDOORS the most. I love the sunshine, and take advantage of it with long walks, playing catch or frisbee, hiking, etc...

THAT BEING SAID....

I don't like doing any of that alone. :( And my fiance doesn't get home until 7:30 at night... so we only have 2 days a week that we can do anything.

So, by myself... it's the gym. Hands down. At home I still do stuff, for example I have a little bike pedal thingy (no room for and couldn't afford a bike), I just put it in front of my couch and pedal away while I'm watching TV or playing video games! Easy stuff. :)

BUT I LOVE being able to get away from all distractions and focus on ME. Just zone out, forget about the dishes and the laundry and the shopping and this and that.... If the mess won't go away, I'll run away from the mess! So I'm re-joining the the gym this week!

This thread has inspired me. :)

Heidelitos
03-18-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm MUCH more motivated at the gym. I seem to be able to stick with it a lot more when there is a group of people all doing it at once. I never want to be the only person in the class who gives up. I also am not the kind of person who parts with a dollar lightly (I'm cheap) so that $72 a month we pay to the Y needs to be worth it.

Kierra
03-20-2008, 02:13 AM
I don't have the motivation to work out at home. Have been trying it for a few months and have gotten nowhere. I signed up for a Curves membership tonight after my coworker did because she said she now works out and is finally losing weight because she doesn't want the membership money to go to waste and there are no distractions like tv at home. I find when I go home I want to curl up in jammies or chat on yahoo to my boyfriend or watch tv.

svbolz
03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
I guess I am the odd man out here. I prefer to work out at home but I have the room to do so. The reason I ultimately went this direction is that for the price of a gym membership, I could outfit my basement with the equipment I liked and wanted to use. Also, I never have to worry about waiting for others to get off of the equipment I want to use. I can go down stairs hit hard for 30 minutes and be done. No drive there and back.

bopeep
03-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Home. Motivation to do something at home is no problem for me - motivating myself to go *out* and do something is a problem (I do love walking when there's not fifty feet of snow on the ground though). We really don't have the room at home (small apartment), but we squished in an elliptical, and I have my weights and mat stashed under the sofa. Every time I have signed up for a gym or pool membership, I'd get to a day where the weather was crappy, or I needed a nap, or something else, and I'd just put off my workout until 'tomorrow'. Well, 'tomorrow' often turned into 'next week', and I would lose the momentum and stop going. Now, I can do something every day, and if I need a nap, I take it and do my exercises later. If the weather is crappy, I don't care. I can listen to the music I want to, not whatever the gym pipes in, and If I want to sing along, no one gets irritated by my horrible off key accompaniment :lol:

BP

TimesOnMySide
03-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Definitely the gym! My house is way too small for me to work out in. There is absolutely no room for any type of cardio equipment and if I did any sort of aerobics or anything, I'd most surely knock something over and break it. :sorry: There's barely enough room to stretch.

Also, I like having the choice of equipment, classes, and sauna afterwards. Sometimes I get ideas for exercises to try by watching other people at the gym. Finally, there are cute trainers to watch at the gym ;) --definitely a bonus.

I agree. 24 Hr has a bunch of equipment I wouldn't be able to fit in my 1BD ...haha. The spa or sauna is a nice touch for relaxation as well.

Home for sure.
Gym is just too much hassle unless I got one very close to home. But normal 3-7 miles when I factor in time in the car (gas prices also) parking getting in, changing, getting settled, finding equipment, basically everything but actually being on equipment then going home it works out to more time than getting a good workout at home in total.

O man. haha. You are too much. When you break it down like that, you make it seem like an eternity to go to a gym! I have my gym within 10-15 minutes from me. I don't see it as a hassle. But I am in California...and we have over 200 24 Hour Fitness gyms.

TimesOnMySide
03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I can't afford the gym, so I do most of my workouts at home. I do work at a school that has a pool though, which because I am an employee I can use anytime after hours for free. I've started swimming 3-4 times a week on the off days that I don't work out at home.
Swimming is fun. They have a big pool at 24 Hr Fitness that is real nice. Your budget can't fit in a gym membership? They have a lot of different plans at 24 that fit different budgets. They have been the most affordable in my eyes so far. $29 a month is what my budget could allow. You should check their site for offers.

Madriver
03-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Definitely home. I've amassed a collection of about 50 DVDs so I have tons of variety to choose from. I've got strength training with weights, Hi/Lo, step aerobics, circuit training, Runervals, Spinervals, kickboxing, yoga, dance, etc. etc. You name it, I've got it! I also have a treadmill, exercise bike, and assorted dumbbells, bands, balls and mats.

For me, getting to and from the gym is a barrier to exercise. I wind up blowing it off. The gym's schedule for classes is also a barrier. It just never seems to jive with my own schedule. Exercising at home means there's always a class available that I want to take at a time I want to take it.

FlabbyHarry
03-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I prefer a bit of both, i prefer the gym because i have to work out there wheras at home if the fone rings mid routine i will talk for an hour or so n then forget about it, but also i dont like to work too hard because i hate getting all red and puffy and sweaty in public wheras at home i can luk like the sweatiest beast alive! haha oh well im still not sure =] xxx

Cassie501107
03-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Both! I exercise at home 6 mornings a week, and I go to a cardio class at the gym on Mondays and Wednesdays. I enjoy both, though it's harder to force myself when I'm at home. I paid for the gym, so I want to get my money's worth.:p

momof4girls
03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Definitely the gym. I go there specifically to do my workouts, and there is nothing that distracts me like at home. Plus they have some kick butt equipment that I dont have.

TimesOnMySide
04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
ITA...there is a lot of sweet equipment at the gym that I can't afford to buy (at the moment..:p) or even store! Classes are sure fun to take, especially since 24 Hour Fitness offers about 30 different classes I can choose. They run the whole week too...Mon-Sun.

What kinds of group classes have you tried?

motownsunshine
04-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I can't do the gym. I've even won gym memberships and not shown up. There are too many days when I just don't feel like leaving the house to go to the gym. I also noticed that going to the gym is intimidating because most of the people I see already have sick bodies while I'm struggling to breathe on the treadmill LOL! It's much easier for me to just pop in one of my many DVDs and get moving that way.

TimesOnMySide
04-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I can't do the gym. I've even won gym memberships and not shown up. There are too many days when I just don't feel like leaving the house to go to the gym. I also noticed that going to the gym is intimidating because most of the people I see already have sick bodies while I'm struggling to breathe on the treadmill LOL! It's much easier for me to just pop in one of my many DVDs and get moving that way.

Wow! That is cool, did you enter a contest for that? What gym did they offer free membership for...was it for like a year or just a couple months? Don't be discouraged...everyone starts somewhere at the gym. The more you go, the more confident you start feeling. :carrot:

TimesOnMySide
04-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Do you think it's better to work out in the early AM or late PM? What time of day do you have more energy?

MaryL
04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I prefer the gym. I have a home gym with all the trimmings but for some reson never use it. I go to the local public swimming pool gym . Because of the people. They are older. not so fit. and really there to improve their health and quailty of life.
I don't feel out of place. There's no really "skinny young chick" next to me going hard out and making feel like I really should be sitting on the side of my large grave just waiting to slide in.
This I call 'ME TIME'
Once I get home it's full on family again

Shy Moment
04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I workout at home. Have probably 2 dozen Leslie Sansone videos. When I workout I workout. This is my time and nothing interrupt that. My family knows this is important for my heath and my general well being. They are very supportive and don't bother me during my workout times. I suppose if I could A. afford to go to the gym and B had someone to go with I might go. There are days I don't feel like leaveing the house and I would make myself go if it had cost me money. Not sure I would get much of a workout if I didn't really want to be there. So far am doing ok at home, just me and my videos lol.

TimesOnMySide
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I prefer the gym. I have a home gym with all the trimmings but for some reson never use it. I go to the local public swimming pool gym . Because of the people. They are older. not so fit. and really there to improve their health and quailty of life.
I don't feel out of place. There's no really "skinny young chick" next to me going hard out and making feel like I really should be sitting on the side of my large grave just waiting to slide in.
This I call 'ME TIME'
Once I get home it's full on family again
That is great you can get so much satisfaction in so many ways going to your gym. Yes, improving the overall health and quality of life is most important. :)

I workout at home. Have probably 2 dozen Leslie Sansone videos. When I workout I workout. This is my time and nothing interrupt that. My family knows this is important for my heath and my general well being. They are very supportive and don't bother me during my workout times. I suppose if I could A. afford to go to the gym and B had someone to go with I might go. There are days I don't feel like leaveing the house and I would make myself go if it had cost me money. Not sure I would get much of a workout if I didn't really want to be there. So far am doing ok at home, just me and my videos lol.

How much are you looking to spend on a gym? I know a lot of gyms out there work with your budget, so you don't spend ridiculous amounts on membership. Like 24 Hour Fitness has all kinds of membership offers for different budget$....not sure if they have their gyms in Ohio tho. I would still inquire about it with other gyms tho. It doesn't hurt to ask! :)

Shy Moment
04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Time
We have two options around where I live. The Y which is 450 dollars a year membership and curves which is only open a few hours a day and is 35 dollars a month. Way to much for me to spend.

TimesOnMySide
04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Have you even tried to see if they will work with your budget? Or maybe getting a part time membership for cheaper? 24 Hour Fitness a membership type called the 'Keep Fit One Club'. This allows access to one location and features low monthly dues. Maybe the gyms around you offer something similar that makes membership cheaper because it is limited?

Shy Moment
04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Times
I live in a little tiny town. Heck I have to drive at least 1/2 an hour to get to most everything. There really isn't much around here. On the one hand that is terrible on the other hand we wouldn't want it any other way. I did ask about the types of member ships they have and none of them are cheap and they sure don't work with peoples budgets.

TimesOnMySide
04-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Times
I live in a little tiny town. Heck I have to drive at least 1/2 an hour to get to most everything. There really isn't much around here. On the one hand that is terrible on the other hand we wouldn't want it any other way. I did ask about the types of member ships they have and none of them are cheap and they sure don't work with peoples budgets.

Wow...that doesn't make for good customer service! They shouldn't be scaring away the interested members by outrageous prices! I hope that you find a fun routine that is affordable to you without having to leave state! :-p I feel really fortunate that my gym worked with my budget...even as a single working student, I have my share of expenses!

Shy Moment
04-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Times
I do the walking/aerobic videos so I am happy with that. Would have been nice for at least one day a week to go join other ladies to do classes or use machines. Just something different.

Vates
04-15-2008, 08:27 PM
gyms i am lazy at home

zenor77
04-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I prefer to exercise outside or at home. It's free and easy. Besides, if I had to get in my car to go somewhere to exercise it would never happen.

lauralee21
04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Gym. I dont want to buy all the equipment that I want to work out on.

Baskgal
04-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Another vote for home. After a long day at work the last thing I want to do is be in a gym surrounded by people. Alone time goes a long way in my world. :D

TimesOnMySide
04-21-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree...I don't want to put up the cash for all that fancy equipment they have at 24 Hour Fitness. For me, I like all the people at the gym. The community is pleasant and it's nice to socialize with people who have the similar goals in mind. :)

Tomato
04-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I am at a real Splittsville right now. I thought I would not go back to a gym and buy one of those home gym machines that can do 50 diff. exercises or so (of course, they are expensive) but I am not sure if I have room for that. I am also not sure if I should be doing all the exercises on my own without any guidance.

Recently, I stopped at Curves (just to check out what they offer). Geez, it was one stinky room (ok, it did not really stink, but it was cramped) with all those machines in a circle (it seemed to me that some of the equipment was there more than once - that little walking platform? not sure what the proper name is). Anyway, they wanted $45 for monthly memberhip. I thought I would laugh the lady in the face - $45 for THIS???

Two weeks later, I went to a gym not too far from my house (about 7 minute drive), they are open 24 hours (Mon-Fri) and morning to evening on weekends, they offer a number of classes (no sign up, you should show up), no "tiered" membership (the monthly fee gives you access to everything, INCLUDING THE CLASSES) and it is - gasp - only $45 a month if you go for annual membership. (No obligation membership is $55 per month). I say it is ONLY $45 a month because compared to the Curves, that give you so little in comparison) it does seem appropriate to say "only".

My only problem is that I am not sure how to squeeze everything into my week - full time job, a 45 minute walk with the dogs each day, treadmill at home and now the garden wants it due. :?: :?: :?:

nylisa
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
First preference would be outdoors, but weather, pollen & safety issues at the times I can work out (early am or late evening) make that tricky most of the workweek.

Second preference would be home, but not a lot of room or equipment variety. And as noisy as downstairs neighbor is, don't want to wake her up in the am.

So, I go with my 3rd choice, the gym. Once I get there, I don't mind it & going that early actually shortens the commute (less traffic). It's just the trying to get showered/dressed part in a small space with a lot of people part I don't like. Though I have become friendly with some of the regulars & if I don't go, they'll notice. Which is good for accountability.

smurf2110
04-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I would prefer a gym, but the closest one is 1 hours drive (I live out in the boonies) so home is for me. I actually do like it though cause I can get my kids involved in it with me.

I do have to say once it warms up 90% of my workouts will be outside!