Exercise! - After Couch to 5k

View Full Version : After Couch to 5k

canarysong
02-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm one workout away from completing the Couch to 5k running plan. Can anyone recommend another running plan I can do? I want to increase my speed and later add another mile to my workout.

HeatherAngel
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Technically, you don't really need another program, but there are others on the Cool Running website that might be particularly helpful if you are aiming to build to something specific.

A quick bit of advice from one relatively new runner to another ;) - build your distance before you work on speed; the speed will come, and you'll reduce the risk of stress and over-training injuries (and by over-training, I mean speed, not distance) Even distance, it is a good rule of thumb to only add 10% per week or couple of weeks.

Good luck - and way to go on (almost!) completing the C25K!! :yay:

canarysong
03-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm just going to focusing on building distance for now. I just want to make sure I'm pushing myself but not overdoing it and injuring myself (which I have done in the past.)

MissGiggles
03-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I am almost done with the one hour runner program:

http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/swit0214.htm#run

After that I am going to do basebuilidng (intervals, tempo runs and long slow distance runs) until I decide if I am going to run a race. Many go onto 10k programs after the couch to 5k.