Weight Loss Support - For Cryin' Out Loud!

View Full Version : For Cryin' Out Loud!

Beach Patrol
02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I just spent the last 20 minutes in the restroom crying.

I was eating lunch at my desk, which is very common for me.

Left overs from last night's shrimp & brown rice w/veggies.

A co-worker came by & said "Oooo - that must be good! - Look at her, shoveling it in!"

Now - this co-worker is a perfectly nice person, & I know she didn't mean to hurt my feelings. BUT I JUST FELL APART.

I went to the restroom & just cried my eyes out. I am not mad at my co-worker. I know she didn't mean it the way it came out. But I have gained even MORE weight in the past couple of months while trying to maintain -cause while I am on this medicine, I obviously cannot lose a single ounce.

I am at my highest weight ever. 190. I have never felt like such a pig in my life. :(

Lovely
02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Ooooh :( .... :hug: :hug: :hug:

peachcake
02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Aww, I'm sorry. That's rough. At least you were eating something HEALTHY for you! Who cares if you're shoveling, as long as it's good for you and in the right portion size. Sorry that this happened. :hug:

junebug41
02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
You should have kicked her in the shin.

Nice lady or not, that was an insensitive and rude thing to say. I don't know her, but a comment like that would make me think she was a bit of a you-know-what :mad:

I'm sorry she said that to you :hug:

hotnewspirits
02-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I was soooo bummed at myself for maintaining 150 for the past 6 months or so up to Christmas where I gained 18 pounds in like 3 months!!! I felt like such a failure and how dumb could I be not to keep up with my routine and now I have to lose the 18 all over again instead of 15 at 150 which would have brought me to goal but there is no way around it now. Your past mistakes caught up with you. Learn from them now. Dust yourself off and keep working. I went back on plan this past week and a half and I've already lost 5 pounds and feel great. You can do it!!

suitejudyblueeyes
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
:hug:

I can totally understand how her comment, harmless or not, cut to your core. When people touch on sensitive issues for us, it can really sting, even when they don't intend to be mean! Remember, though, that you determine your own self-worth, your own strength. People with these little comments have nothing to do with what kind of person you are. What others say about you or your actions do not necessarily reflect reality.

And like peachcake said, look at what you were eating! Shrimp and rice and veggies. What could be a healthier lunch? Who is she to judge anything regarding what you were eating, or how you were eating it? Her judgment of you says nothing about you, and everything about her. Try not to take it to heart, the initial shock of it's over and you can move on with your day.

Losing weight while on medication is near impossible. Believe you are doing the best you can for yourself, and forget the random comment from your coworker. Hang in there! :hug:

nelie
02-28-2008, 01:50 PM
I am so sorry to hear that you had to endure such a hurtful comment :hug:

Some people just don't think about what they say. She would've definitely got a dirty look from me.

I also am sorry to hear you have been having so much trouble lately :hug:

Tavinni
02-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Is it possible for you to get out of the office and take like a 15 minute walk and get some fresh air. That always works for me when I find that I have to collect myself and my thoughts.

What the woman said was wrong, and she just shouldn't have said it. Be proud of yourself for still eating healthy!

I don't know what medication you are on but if you find that you are gaining weight but still eating healthy and exercising maybe its something that you want to talk to your doctor about.

rockinrobin
02-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Grrrrrr. Why in the world are some people so insensitive and out of line? Why? What WAS she thinking? Oh, she wasn't.

I'm so sorry this woman's negative comments came your way. And just as sorry to hear you are having a rough go of it. But please, give youself a break. You've got an unusual situation on your hands and it most certainly can not be easy. :hug:

Beach Patrol
02-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, I had only taken about 4 bites.... but after the comment, I just kind of lost my appetite. I dumped the rest of the food. :(

I am usually not so sensitive... people have said much worse to me in the past, & I usually just shrug it off. But I am feeling extra-touchy lately because I am busting out of my size 14 jeans as I type this. And I thought I was going to get off this medication soon, but the doc told me if my blood levels were not "level" on the next check, I could expect to be on it another SIX MONTHS. I just got the call today.... way below & don't know why. :(

The medicine doesn't make me gain weight (said the doctor) and it doesn't cause fatigue (said the doctor) but all I know is that since I've been on the meds, (since August) I am sooooo tired all the time! - and I have gained 20+ pounds.

I am just having a really bad "fat day" today.

peachcake
02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
We all have "fat" days. Unfortunately, mine are not nearly as frustrating. Again, sorry that you're having a crappy time.

Beach Patrol
02-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks to you all for the hugs! I needed them!! :^:

nelie
02-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Regarding your medicine, have you talked to your doctor about possibly switching medications? Have you looked at another doctor for a second opinion? If you are going in the wrong direction and your medicine seems to be dragging you down, maybe its not the right answer for you.

Hat Trick
02-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Pay no attention to that thoughtless clod posing as a person. How dare she? I've said this b/4, there just ought to be a patch for stupidity. She'd have to get the extra big size.

I don't know what your medical situation is or why you are on meds, but just b/cause the doc is saying that the med doesn't cause wt gain or fatigue doesn't make him right. Look into it; read the side effects (the doc probably didn't). See if there are alternatives to what you are taking or perhaps more homeopathic remedies.

My brother had been having strange, odd symptoms off and on. His body temp would drop a degree or so but he would feel as if it was 102; fatigue; trouble sleeping; feeling awful. Doc after doc he went to test after test. Most just kept repeating the same tests that were already done by other docs. All completely ignored his body temp concern, ('why you do know that body temp fluctuates, right?') and they all said he was depressed and wanted to just give drugs for that and the trouble sleeping. Test after test came back ok, but he wasn't. Not one of those 'experts' actually listened to him. He finally ended up going to a doc that practices homeopathic medicine. He listened, did more tests (more specific tests based on my bro's symptoms) and it turned out that he has way high levels of mercury in his system. He's a self-described 'body ****' and was living off of fish - fresh, canned tuna, sushi - for years. Chelation has been a b!tch and he also tested positive (after a year of symptoms) for an intestinal yeast infection. Had he stayed w/the 'traditional' docs, he'd be in the nut house or dead. YOU know how you feel, not the doc. MAKE him take your complaints seriously or find another doc. I've found that most docs (not all, but nearly so) really don't give a crap about how you are 'actually' doing. They just want you in and out w/an easy dx. Just been my personal experience, that's all.

So sorry that woman was an a$$ to you with her stupid comment. I hope you're feeling better after your cry. Crying is very theraputic. Hang in there. And tell your doc to listen to you!

Beach Patrol
02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Regarding your medicine, have you talked to your doctor about possibly switching medications? Have you looked at another doctor for a second opinion? If you are going in the wrong direction and your medicine seems to be dragging you down, maybe its not the right answer for you.

Hi Nelie -
unfortunately, I don't have any choice with this med - it's a blood thinner, because I had pulmonary embolii - blood clots in my lungs - very life-threatening. Everytime I bring up my weight w/my doc, he reminds me that the medicine is "saving my life"... that being a little overweight & ALIVE is much better than "skinny & dead"..... & truly, who can argue with that?

It's just so damn frustrating. I've TRIED to lose weight by diet alone, and I just can't seem to do it. I average 1300-1500 calories per day (I use fitday) and I've done the math.... I have to eat at least 1800 per day to just maintain, so I should be LOSING on 1300-1500 per day. And believe me... I count EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING - even the cream in my coffee! :o

The best way for losing (for me) is exercise. And I'm just too darn tired. I walk up & down the stairs at my house & I am completely ready for a nap! I have been walking at work during lunch... but 15 minutes seems to be all I can handle. And apparently that is NOT enough.

So.... I'm sorry y'all... for such a big whiney fest. But I'm really down about this right now. Thanks for everyone's support - you are all very understanding!

JayEll
02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Gosh... I can't find anything on the internet that says weight gain is a possible side effect of blood thinners. Are you taking some other med as well?

I agree that asking your doctor is a good idea... If you are really tired, it could be that you are also anemic... ask your doctor whether taking something like Geritol would be counterindicated. A blood thinner shouldn't be making you this tired, I would think... it might be some other condition that isn't being addressed because of the focus on your blood clotting problem.

I'm sorry you were so upset by what that person said. It must have really pushed your buttons. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Jay

Beach Patrol
02-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Gosh... I can't find anything on the internet that says weight gain is a possible side effect of blood thinners. Are you taking some other med as well? I searched all over too - and no, it's not a KNOWN side effect. And yes, I do take other meds. One of those is prozac, & I'm sure you're familiar with the effects of that one.

I agree that asking your doctor is a good idea... If you are really tired, it could be that you are also anemic... ask your doctor whether taking something like Geritol would be counterindicated. Not anemic. Had the test - not anemic.

A blood thinner shouldn't be making you this tired, I would think... it might be some other condition that isn't being addressed because of the focus on your blood clotting problem. Considered that. And the doc did say that even tho the coumadin doesn't "cause" fatigue, that doesn't mean that my body is not being sensitive to it. I've talked to four family/friends who have been on this medication as well. They all say they were "dog-tired" the whole time being on it, and when they got off, within two weeks, they felt "rejuvenated."

I'm sorry you were so upset by what that person said. It must have really pushed your buttons. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Jay

Yes, it did push my buttons. Pretty tough to do, actually, cause I'm not usually so sensitive regarding anything! But like I said, I know she didn't mean it "that way". In fact, she has lost about 50 pounds herself - and has kept it off - by diet alone. She loathes exercise. I know others who have lost weight by simply watching caloric intake. But I can't seem to do it. :?:

Thanks for the hugs!! It really does help to come here, pour your heart out, & get a bunch of :hug: :)

lumifan4ever
02-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Beach Patrol....you have every right to be a little "whiney" right now. I am terribly sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time right now. In a way, i have to agree with the doctor about better to be a little overweight than dead...but then again, i totally understand how you feel too.

I'm so sorry to hear that the womans comment hurt your feelings. And being that those sort of comments don't usually bother you, i'd say you have alot more going on inside you than just that one comment. And i'm sure you do feel better after a good cry. I know i always do. But again, I am so sorry that you were so upset today. And it really sucks that you felt so bad you didn't even get to finish what was apparently a very healthy lunch. I hope you will be able to hold out and have a healthy dinner when you get off work. And i hate to sound flippant...but what's 6 more months compared to the rest of your life. You're not that old. You should definately get better before you worry about losing weight. I know how hard that is to hear...really, i do. But it's really the only advice i can think of. Keep eating healthy and keep practicing portion control and when you do get well and get off this medicine and your energy level comes back up, the weight will just come falling off.

Truely...I send you the biggest hugs i can possibly send your way!!!!

Beach Patrol
02-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Thank you lumifan!! It really does help to know that some people just understand. And you're right... it wasn't the comment itself that set me off. I was feeling like a "pig" - have been for the past couple of months, since I had LOST about 5 pounds, & finally felt like MAYBE I COULD lose weight by dieting alone... & then of course... I was 10 pounds UP. Dagnabit!

But I did have a good cry... and coming here & getting it all out DOES help.

Thanks again!

sweetkam
02-28-2008, 05:17 PM
sorry that she said that to you sometimes people talk without thinking. she should say sorry. that was hurtful and very wrong. i hope that things get better for you soon!

polkadotfever
02-28-2008, 05:21 PM
prozac can cause weight gain. it did when i took it...

TakingBkTheTrumpCard
02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Sorry for the insensitive remarks. I am always amazed at what people think it is ok to say! You hang in there and everything will turn out ok!!

just get it done
02-28-2008, 06:15 PM
:hug:Huggs .

the slim me
02-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Sorry you're feeling so bad. hearing unkind comments, even if they aren't ment to upset us, do. And that comment was just rude!

You're on a blood thinner (commadin, plavix?) for DVT? I've never hear of those causing the kind of symptoms you're complaining of, but anyone can have an adverse reaction. And yes, DVT is life threatening, so you don't have a lot of choice, if it is the meds. But it could be something else. Continue to tell your Dr. how you're feeling. Most doctors really do care. I work with them every day and I see their frustration when they aren't able to figure out the cause of a symptom.

Good luck

Beach Patrol
02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
prozac can cause weight gain. it did when i took it...

Yes, I have faced this problem before. I have been on/off the "crazy pill" since I was 27 years old. I've had three major clinically depressed episodes for which I sought counseling & got medicated. I have taken several different meds (you know it takes a while to find out "which is the right one" etc). This is my 3rd bout with depression, and the prozac is doing the trick... but it could very possibly be contributing to my weight gain. Except... see... I've been on the prozac for a while now. And my weight gain didn't really get crazy until I got on the coumadin. That's what makes me think it's NOT the prozac. But I'm not ruling it out, either. :^:

abbyin
02-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your insencitive co-worker. I too, don't think she intentionaly meant to hurt you :hug:.

Maybe your medication could be causing you to be a little sensitive also. I too, have been on some medication the last month (prednisone) that has caused me to gain weight and also be a little more emotional. Don't worry about it. As long as your trying to eat healthy and sencibly, that's all you can do right now. Your heath (fisically and mentally) is more important than hurtful words.

Good luck, and I hope everything will be going your way soon ;).

ashisback
02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Wow do I know how that feels. At least you know she didn't mean it in a way refering to you as overweight, and didn't do it purposely to hurt you. Hope you feel better soon.

srmb60
02-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Beah Patrol ... there are some different blood thinners you can use????

chick_in_the_hat
02-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh Beachy....nothing to add but a big :hug:

Oh and they do make a patch for stupidity - it's made of duct tape, just cover their mouth with it and walk away. :s:

PhotoChick
02-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey Sweetie - I'm really sorry your co-worker was so insensitive.

Is it possible for you to take her aside and talk to her? I tend to be pretty direct (some would call me blunt) and I wouldn't have any problem going to her and saying "hey ... you know I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but what you said today really hurt my feelings and was kinda insensitive." I might even explain to her that you're taking meds that cause you to gain weight and that it really hurts to be talked about like that when you're in this position.

I dunno. It might not be something you'd be comfortable doing, but I think that people who make stupid, insensitve comments shoudl be called on them. If nothing else, you might be making sure someone else isn't hurt by her thoughtlessness.

JayEll
02-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Although I'm all for being direct ;) you'll want to be careful since it's a work situation. As you said, you're sure she didn't mean it like it sounded.

Jay

Shy Moment
02-28-2008, 09:43 PM
First, since you know she wasn't saying it to hurt you and probably wasn't even saying it in any reference to your weight you were quite right not to be mad at her. When I was as thin as a stick my mother would refer to my eating as " shoveling it in " when i really liked something or was eating fast. I do understand the mead thing. They packed about 80lbs on me. Talk with your doctor about this. There may be other meads you can use that won't cause weight gain or at least will allow you to watch your diet and take the weight off. I found my pharmacist much more helpful than my doctor. Maybe you could talk to your pharmacist. They know much more about medications than docs do most of the time. I am so sorry you were having a day that it hit you so hard and made you cry. All of us have sensitive times. I am glad you didn't react badly to what was said.

stayincalm
02-28-2008, 09:43 PM
It's not whiney. It's human. We are all behind you. Actually, I will stand in front of you. Since I'm a size 18 you will feel skinny bustin' out of your 14s. I'd kill to be in my 14s right now.
xo sc

Beach Patrol
02-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Oh Beachy....nothing to add but a big :hug:

Oh and they do make a patch for stupidity - it's made of duct tape, just cover their mouth with it and walk away. :s:

LMAO!!! Thanks for the giggle, chick!

And thanks to ALL OF YOU for your support & understanding. I feel much better today. Altho it still "stings" a little, I am positive that the comment was more of "what I was hearing" than "what she was saying." I remember a time when I was in 7th grade - and STICK THIN! - This one day I was absent for the first half of the day, but got to school during lunch period. I didn't have breakfast that morning (had to fast for a doctor appt) and was really hungry. So I got my lunch & sat down to eat, just as most everybody was finished & starting to leave. Some STUPID BOY (stupid 7th grade boys are THE WORST!!!!) saw me "shoveling it in" & made piggy-oinking noises & called me a pig!

My co-worker's comment yesterday took me right back to that day in 7th grade. It's amazing the things we remember, huh?

But now that I realize why it hurt me so much, it doesn't hurt as much - if that makes any sense.

Again, thank you all. I love you guys!!!! :hug:

daizylin
02-29-2008, 09:38 AM
We sound very similar. In medication and weight/height/size. I recently started prozac again, and I have gained over 30lbs in 4 months. I know it isn't all the medicine, but I know it played a part. I just felt attached to you when I realized how similar we are in this battle. I'm sorry you had such a bad day yesterday. It is hard to just write off what people say. It sticks, weither it was in malice or not. Just wanted you to know you are safe and supported here :)

Cherrygrl
02-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Beach Patrol,

You said you have been taking the (P) for some time but didn't notice the weight gain till you started taking the coumadin.... Maybe its not one or the other but taking both at the same time????

My step mom is taking coumadin for the same thing....she has a ton of other medical problems too.. but she too is always exhausted... its normal to see her nodding off at the dinner table.

Beach Patrol
02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Beach Patrol,

You said you have been taking the (P) for some time but didn't notice the weight gain till you started taking the coumadin.... Maybe its not one or the other but taking both at the same time???? Very possible! I don't "discount" much these days.

My step mom is taking coumadin for the same thing....she has a ton of other medical problems too.. but she too is always exhausted... its normal to see her nodding off at the dinner table.

THANK YOU! - it makes me feel a great deal better when someone tells me that! - because my doc keeps telling me that "fatigue is not a known side effect" so I start to think "maybe it's NOT the medicine...." but then there are "...so many people on the medicine that say how exhausted they are all the time!" and he counters with "But I've had no patients tell me that." THEN of course I said "Of course you have ONE PATIENT that is telling you that!" :dizzy:

But I swear... soooo tired on the coumadin! - it's all I can do to get up & go to work each day... I keep thinking maybe "today" I'll exercise when I get home! - but I'm just wiped out. Ack. :^:

Beach Patrol
02-29-2008, 02:39 PM
We sound very similar. In medication and weight/height/size. I recently started prozac again, and I have gained over 30lbs in 4 months. I know it isn't all the medicine, but I know it played a part. I just felt attached to you when I realized how similar we are in this battle.

Awwww... thanks daizylin! You're right - we are VERY similar in our battle. How old are you (if you don't mind me asking?) I will be 45 this summer. :fr: Wow. Can't believe I just typed that outloud!!!

VERY cool avatar, by the way!!! Thanks for your kind thoughts!