Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Almond Milk

View Full Version : Almond Milk

jillybean720
02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I have to thank Nelie for mentioning it so often...I finally tried some unsweetened almond milk. I also bought some unsweetened soy milk to try. I LOVE the almond milk! The soy milk, umm, not so much :p Which is all the better since the almond milk has fewer calories--only 40 per cup as compared to 90 for regular skim milk. I wish the almond milk were cheaper, but it's a great substitute for the calcium-leeching, hormone-infested cow's milk I've been drinking :D

walking2lose
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
I love it too! It's great in smoothies. I read about first on 3FC and now drink it regularly. This site has done a lot to boost stock of things like almond milk, laughing cow, hummus, fiber one, etc. etc!

nelie
02-27-2008, 06:56 PM
I'd recommend getting it from Trader Joe's. That is the cheapest place I've found it.

I do intermix using soy milk with Almond milk but almond is my favorite :) The chocolate unsweetened almond milk isn't too bad either. That you have to get from Whole Foods most likely though.

azmom
02-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Nelie,
Is the brand of almond milk from Trader Joe's their own brand?
I too have been wanting to try it but a little leary!
I am just a boring fat-free milk kind of gal but I am willling to try almond milk if it has 1/2 the calories!!!!!!

nelie
02-27-2008, 07:11 PM
azmom, no it is almond breeze and can be found in many stores. TJs just has it the cheapest of anywhere.

mandalinn82
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I agree - TJs is cheap compared with other sources.

I use it in my protein shakes...yum!

tamaralynn
02-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Oooh I gotta try! I love almonds so I'm sure I'll like the milk (even if it doesn't taste much like almonds).

I bet it is great in cereal!

jillybean720
02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I had it mixed with no sugar added chocolate Carnation instant breakfast this morning--made a great breakfast in the car on my way to work! I actually used 1.5 times the amount of milk, too--12 oz. VERY yummy.

It has less protein than regular milk, but it does have unsaturated fat, and I usually add some sort of protein, anyway (instant breakfast, smoothie, etc.).

I'll have to try to stop by Trader Joe's on my way home from work one day. It's out of my way, so I'll have to stock up so I don't have to go too often :p

I found a website that sells it for $1.99 per 32 oz carton, but I'm sure the added shipping (they ship by weight via UPS or USPS) would negate the savings.

azmom
02-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Can someone give me all the nutritional info on it?

nelie
02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
http://www.bluediamond.com/retail/breeze/Almond%20Breeze%20Nutrition%20info_Layout%201.pdf

That is a PDF from the website. You can also google it if for some reason you can't open the PDF.

cbmare
02-27-2008, 09:38 PM
It's $1.99 at my TJs. I love it. I use the unsweetened vanilla flavor on my cereal.

I'm considering trying to make ice cream with it.

I emailed the Blue Diamond people and they sent me a ton of coupons!

I compared the nutritional info with rice and soy milk. It is by far lower in cals.

jtammy
02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
What part of the store is it found in? Is it refrigerated or shelf stable?

nelie
02-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Shelf stable. It'd be near the soy milk in the box type containers.

jtammy
02-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks Nelie! I'd like to try it, if I can find it around here.

jillybean720
02-28-2008, 05:29 AM
I still have almost a whole gallon of regular skim milk in the fridge, but once that's gone, I'll likely just stick to the almond milk. I've seen 2 brands of it: the Almond Breeze, and Pacific Naturals, but I couldn't find the Pacific Naturals in an unsweetened variety at my store.

suesully
02-28-2008, 08:13 AM
As far as I know, Almond Breeze is the only brand of unsweetened almond milk. I buy mine at my local natural market for $1.79/qt. (I think that is a good price).

chick_in_the_hat
02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 c crushed ice
1/2 c frozen mango chunks
a couple scoops of splenda

Blend until smooth

I just had a really good smoothie for about 100 calories. :cb:

azmom
03-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I finally bought some today....I can't wait to try it!

The mango smoothie recipe sounds amazing!! Thanks!!

azmom
03-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Ok, I just LOVE this stuff! It's awesome in my cereal and I just made my own version of hot cocoa with it & I am sippin it while I write this! It is so yummy!!

I used the almond breeze unsweetened vanilla falor, toll house unsweeted cocoa powder and some stevia. This tastes so decadent. I am so in love!

Zepher
03-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I made some almond jello today with this, unflavored gelatin, splenda and stevia. And it was good =)

mariquita
03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Be careful eating almonds in anything. Make sure they are roasted though.

A police officer friend of mine said that he could tell right away if someone had been poisoned by the smell of almonds -- which is arsenic :(

Is the almond milk processed like regular milk? Just wondering.

jillybean720
03-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Be careful eating almonds in anything. Make sure they are roasted though.

A police officer friend of mine said that he could tell right away if someone had been poisoned by the smell of almonds -- which is arsenic :(
I'm confused--I've eaten raw almonds plenty of times and have been fine. Am I missing something? Since when are almonds arsenic?

Nevermind--30 seconds of Googling told me that yes, some almond skins contain traces of arsenic, but you'd have to consume quite a bit to actually have any ill effects. Arsenic smells like almonds, but someone poisoned by arsenic likely didn't become poisoned via actual almonds. Apple seeds, mangoes, and, I think, peach pits (or was it apricot pits?) also contain arsenic--but none of them contain enough to harm someone unless consumed in unusually large quantities all at once.

bargoo
03-06-2008, 01:27 PM
I just bought some Almond Breeze today , I don't like soy milk at all, so am anxious to try it. I especially want try it on cereal.

peachcake
03-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't eat milk in many things. I do like chocolate milk and hot cocoa though. So the almond milk works for this? Does it work for baking? I put a little skim milk into my baked oatmeal recipe, would it work with this? I don't know anything about it...

mandalinn82
03-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Arsenic smells like almonds, but it isn't actually related to almonds.

Someone poisoned by arsenic will have an almond-y smell on their breath, but not from almonds...from the arsenic!

The two compounds are completely unrelated, but do smell the same. Almonds are safe!

bargoo
03-07-2008, 10:29 AM
I put one cup of Almond Breeze and a small banana in the blender. Delicious!

cbmare
03-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm so glad we are all enjoying it. I am getting over a cold and normally would have to forego milk products because of how it clogs me up and makes my cough worse. That did not happen with almond milk.

When I emailed the Blue Diamond people and they sent all the coupons, they also sent along a little cookbook. I think I'll be trying some of those recipes very soon.

suitejudyblueeyes
03-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Jill, I saw you mention almond milk in some other thread unrelated to this one a couple days ago and was curious enough to buy some last night. Now I find there's a whole discussion going on :p

WOW. Is almond milk ever good, or what?? I really don't like the chalky flavor of soy milk, but this tastes nothing like soy milk at all! Hurray, an enjoyable cow's milk replacement! If I could ever find almonds for a decent price I'd be willing to try making my own... but this is one case where it almost seems more cost-effective to buy the processed "convenience" version over the make-your-own.

cbmare
03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Trust me. Those almonds get pretty ornery when you try to milk them. I learned my lesson when trying to milk chocolate soy beans. I'm assuming almonds have the same temperament.

I did notice that there are two brands at TJ's now. The other one, Pacific Natural, is sweetened. It's the same price, $1.99.

Cheree
03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=cbmare;2095359]Trust me. Those almonds get pretty ornery when you try to milk them. I learned my lesson when trying to milk chocolate soy beans. I'm assuming almonds have the same temperament.
[QUOTE]
:rofl:

2beautiful2Bfat
03-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm also a fan I buy vanilla and chocolate I use it in everything even baking. I'm planning to make rice pudding with it and brwon rice tonight. We'll see how that goes.

BillBlueEyes
03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Just reporting in. I bought Almond Breeze Vanilla unsweetened at Trader Jo's ($1.99/quart) after reading such enthusiasm.

Sipped it. Used it in my coffee (instead of 2% milk). Was OK.

Then I had it on my granola for breakfast. VOILA, a real treat; smooth, thick and creamy. Now I see why you guys have been so excited.

Thanks for the introduction.

jillybean720
03-13-2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks to those who suggested Trader Joe's--I did find it there for 1.99 (though the only had unsweetened vanilla and chocolate--no unsweetened plain). I got the unsweetened vanilla, and I don't taste much difference from the plain. I stopped at Whole Foods yesterday at lunch time (much closer to my office), and they had Almond Breeze on sale for 2/$4 (probably to compete with TJ's), so I bought 8 more quarts of it :D 4 plain and 4 vanilla, all unsweetened. MUCH better than the $3/qt I was paying at Bloom, and then only when I could find it, as not all Bloom stores seemed to carry it.

Jeff told me he likes it MORE than regular milk. Who knew I could get a 25-year-old male who is NEVER the least bit interested in nutrition to try something so different? He bring it to work now to use on his breakfast cereal :)

Lovely
03-13-2008, 07:17 AM
I just tried this stuff last night. It's different, but tasty, and it's something I could see using in place of cow's milk. (Something which I never thought had any alternatives. What things I find on 3FC!)

Suzanne 3FC
03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
I love almond milk. I don't like soy and prefer to limit dairy. I'm curious if almond milk carries the same heart healthy benefits as whole almonds. I'm sure it wouldn't be much in comparison, but maybe it offers a little something more than other milk alternatives?

kenfronco
03-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I `ve never heard about almond milk.

Zepher
04-12-2008, 02:51 AM
I've been drinking a lot of this everyday for a week now, it's nice but the sodium adds up when I drink so much of it. So I'm thinking of making it myself, maybe with a soymilk maker. Has anyone tried making raw almond milk? Does it taste like almond breeze?

suitejudyblueeyes
04-12-2008, 11:52 AM
I thought about making it too, but take a look at what's in the almond breeze -- there's more than just water and almonds. They definitely add a thickening agent to give it that creamy consistency, plus there's preservatives and flavorings and whatnot... But maybe if you're used to the unsweetened plain stuff you'd find the taste similar?