Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #1  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'4

Wink Induction Question

SOoo I got fed up with atkins after 1 week because I just got tired of the food...since you are limited in the Induction phase. I love milk and fruit. I really dont have time to make my meals, I'm much better with convienence so Im going to try the Induction once again..its only 2 weeks..thats what I keep telling myself. So my question is can I eat chicken wings from wing stop? I checked the carb count in the mild sauce and it has none.
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Personally, I'm not familiar with "Wing Stop" but....I'm usually leery of anything I haven't cooked myself due to added sugar and excessive sodium the food industry seems to add to everything! And even though the sauce claims to have 0 carbs...I'd be leery of that too!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

If you like milk and fruit so much, have you ever considered the South Beach Diet? It focuses on good fats and good carbs. The induction phase is 2 weeks, and you can't have fruit during that, but you can have up to 2 cups of milk (including plain yogurt) per day during induction. Just a suggestion
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

Have you read the Atkins book? Do you know the list of foods that you are allowed during induction?

Why don't you get the wings with the sauce on the side? That way you can add your own hot sauce.

What exactly are you eating that you are tired of? Do you know all the foods that you are allowed or are you more focused on the foods that are not allowed?
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:12 AM   #5  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

One possibility - you say that you're tired of the food you're allowed - are you sure you don't mean that you're craving other things?

Just a different way of looking at it - but if you find that you're longing for things that are off-plan, consider the possibility that this is because your body has been conditioned to crave those carbs, in the same way that a smoker craves nicotine. You may find that after going cold turkey for those full 2 weeks, that the cravings actually go away - because they were the result of the chemical imbalance you'd created through over indulgence in carbs that your body didn't really need?

If I'm out of line, please accept my apologies - largely I'm drawing on my own experience here, and although this tallies with Gary Taubes' book and with Dr Atkins' plan, it may not neccesarily reflect where you're at. But - on the other hand, it might. Perhaps worth toughing it out, just to see whether you find your body begins to react differently after it's acclimatized to fat-burning rather than carb-burning?
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Sarae, I see you are not really overweight but just looking to drop a few pounds. Are you sure Atkins is the right approach for you? You might want to investigate some other options. There are many other eating plans that will not require you to give up milk or fruit. Your consumption of these will be severely restricted on Atkins or just about any low carb plan.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #7  
Cookie??!?!!

Thanks Guys.
Sylvia - It just preparing the meat. I mean I can do that for dinner but breakfast and lunch are kinda hard since I'm on the go. For breakfast I eat those already prepared omelets, you just stick in the microwave for 2 mins. I know I should probably make mine own but those are so convenient. And I have the Atkins book, in fact my grandma found one that was written in 1972. It says to stay on Induction for 1 week instead of 2.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarae878 View Post
And I have the Atkins book, in fact my grandma found one that was written in 1972. It says to stay on Induction for 1 week instead of 2.
Atkins 72 is the original version. There are many people that follow this plan. Personally, I follow Atkins 2002.

Induction on the Atkins 2002 plan is for 2 weeks...however, you can stay on it longer as long as you aren't bored with the foods. Moving on to OWL (On Going Weight Loss) allows you more foods and it allows you to establish your threshold level of carbs that will allow you to continue to lose weight.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #9  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Sorry - I've mulled and mulled over how to phrase this, and every time I find I'm coming across as brusque. I don't mean to be.

But - honey, I'm sure you're busy, and maybe you ARE busier than me, and have to get up earlier. But I think most of us posting here are pretty busy people, you know?

It's up to you whether this is important enough to you that you want to MAKE time to take control of your food options. If you really don't think you can spare fifteen minutes before bedtime to knock together something for lunch, or get up ten minutes earlier than usual to knock together a nutritious breakfast - that's your decision. But don't be under the impression that you have no choice in the matter. You do.

(And, fwiw, you can fry up some slices of bacon and mushrooms and mix in a couple of eggs in under 2 minutes. Or scramble a couple of eggs in 30 seconds or so and mix in some slices of cheese, or add some slices of smoked salmon. Or, ****, just grab a couple of cold chicken legs, or some tuna salad you spent five minutes making the night before - that just involves opening and closing the fridge door. You're deluding yourself if you think you don't have time to make an Atkins-friendly breakfast without resorting to packaged foods.)

If it's important to you, you'll find the time.

And in the spirit of full disclosure, and since I realise I'm coming across as a self-righteous cow, if we just insert the word 'exercise' in the above paragraph rather than food references, then all of that applies to me. Haven't been to the gym for a week and a half - I need to stop pretending to myself that I'm too busy or too tired, and rearrange my schedule so that I DO get my arse down there. It's up to me. It IS within my power to make it happen.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #10  
Cookie??!?!!

Thanks Broad. I do find the time to work out 6 days a week. Maybe I just like to sleep until the last minute and dont want to get out of bed and make my omelet. Ill work on that
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Dontcha just luv Broad!!! I love her articulate, yet compasionate demeanor! I'd like to chime in for just a bit. Sara...I feel your pain as I own and operate 3 businesses and can totally sympathize with you "not having alot of time". I totally congratulate you on working out 6 days a week. It shows that you are "comitted" to yourself. One last thing to get in check and a few last pounds to drop...and boop!...your on your way!

Since you are working out regularly, you can have more carbs (fruits, veggies...stay away from the unrefined kind)...
Here's a sample menu for me: breakfast - protein (whey no carb) with 1 banana and 5-10 strawberries and 3/4 cup soy unsweetend milk (after 30 min cardio) and maybe a piece of leftover chicken; mid-morn snack: cheese or maybe a small serving of iceberg lettuce (in a bag-precut) and some smoked deli turkey with blue cheeze dressing (full fat...yum!), or some tuna; lunch - seafood bisque soup (pre-made earlier in the week from Linda's Low Carb Recipes) or chunky chicken soup or dinner leftovers; mid-afternoon snack - maybe, if I have time...a little leftovers, some tuna or something like that - dinner: something prepared from Linda's Low Carb Recipes

Since time is hard for me as I have a 9yr old and I'm divorced in addition to everything else, I use the weekends to prepare my food for the week. I like making Linda's Low Carb Recipes cuz its quick, easy and taste great...this way...I can pack some food and bring with me or just reach in the frig for a quick bite!

But honestly...since your goal is to lose the last 15-20 lbs...induction may not suit your active lifestyle. There is "no rule" that says you can't go straight into the OWL phase. Induction is good and necessary simply to help you break addictions (i.e., sugar, refined carbs, etc.). However, if you don't have those addictions...you can still use Atkins to maximize your workouts and push you through those final tough and hard to lose pounds! As long as you continue to do at least 30 min cardio 4-5 days per week...in my opinion...you've earned that piece of fruit for heaven sake! As far as milk...try soy..it's great and low carb! Enjoy..this will be fun this time around...Joyce

BTW, I started Atkins 1/5/08 and never gave up my fruit...I've lost 2 dress sizes so far. I only started working out on my 2nd week of the diet. I've increased my water consumption to up to 1 gal/day...that's extremely important for weight loss. Hope this helps. Joyce

Quote:
Thanks Broad. I do find the time to work out 6 days a week. Maybe I just like to sleep until the last minute and dont want to get out of bed and make my omelet. Ill work on that
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #12  
Cookie??!?!!

Thank bambi it does help. I didnt know I could go straight into the OWL Phase. But these 20 lbs have been hard to lose. Im going to continue to do the induction for a week so to make sure all the cravings are gone. The cravings for milk are killing me. I read on here that soy milk is a good choice. I will try it. Is there a big difference between regular soy and vanilla? Is vanilla really sweet?

I hate water but I force it down. I have drank so much water since staring this diet. Its also good to know that you havent cut out fruit I'll try to slowly add that next week.

Thnaks for the info!!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

The cravings for milk..is probably something you should fill...only with "unsweetend soy milk"...I use the Silk brand myself..plain. I've never tried the vanilla or chocolate. If you want a really good healthy creamy drink...why not make a good whey protein shake...it's great after a workout!! Much better than a smoothie!

I had the same problem with water.. I lived on Diet Pepsi..and literally drank only maybe 1 glass a day! Now..I'm drinking almost a gallon. It's just a conscious mental decision...after a week or so....you get into the taste of water...and nothing will quench your thirst like it...I mean..you could still drink other drinks...but you gotta get at least 8 cups a day..at least for optimal results. Look forward to seeing you around Sara! Joyce

Quote:
Thank bambi it does help. I didnt know I could go straight into the OWL Phase. But these 20 lbs have been hard to lose. Im going to continue to do the induction for a week so to make sure all the cravings are gone. The cravings for milk are killing me. I read on here that soy milk is a good choice. I will try it. Is there a big difference between regular soy and vanilla? Is vanilla really sweet?

I hate water but I force it down. I have drank so much water since staring this diet. Its also good to know that you havent cut out fruit I'll try to slowly add that next week.

Thnaks for the info!!
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

For breakfasts, you can make little egg quiche thingies in muffin tins. It's basically a little muffin-size omelette. I made mine with turkey sausage, chopped bacon, cheese, chopped spinach, onion, and egg. When they were done cooking, I divided them up into 2 per plastic baggy and tossed them in the freezer. Each morning, I take out a baggy, microwave the egg cups for 2 minutes, and voila! quick and easy homemade breakfast. I don't have time for cooking much during the week, so I plan ahead by cooking them on the weekends

Also, if you need milk, I highly suggest seeing if you can find unsweetend almond milk. I bought both unsweetened almond and unsweeteneted soy milks, and the soy is quite gross, IMO, but the almond is great! Plus, the unsweetened soy has 4g total carbs and 1g fiber (so 3 net carbs), and the almond has 2g total carbs and 1g fiber (so 1 net carb). The almond also has half the calories of the soy. This is all per 8 oz serving. Just another suggestion for your milk craving
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #15  
Larry's Angel

With the contraversy over processed soy vs. fermented soy....I've personally stayed clear of it.

8 oz of soymilk contains approximately 20 mg of isoflavones. Studies have been done showing a dose of 45 mg isoflavones per day, demonstrated hormonal disturbances after 1 month in American women.

Alternatives are Rice, Almond, Oat and Multi-Grain. However, these have their concerns as well. Rice milk has a higher sugar content than soy milk. There are brands of almond milk that contain corn syrup or brown rice syrup. The key is reading labels and as Jill suggested, purchasing UNSWEETENED almond milk.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 02-28-2008 at 10:03 AM.