Old 02-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/135.2/115

Height: 5'0

Default Not so nice

Do you think people realize that even though the seem to be doing something nice, in reality they completely suck?

For example, one of the ladies in the office just came by and asked me if I would like anything from burger king since she is going there for herself. Now I mean ofcourse I would love something from burger king, but I resisted. Now I can't stop giving her the evil eye. All the ladies in my office know that I am trying to lose weight, but they are allways offering things like this. For example, just yesterday a different lady tried to give me a donut. It's driving me crazy.
comawhite2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

That is frustrating to be tempted so... but I highly doubt they're trying to sabotage you or anything.

Were I heading out to BK (blech, but it's just an example) I'd go around my department and ask if anyone wanted anything. If I brought in bagels for the group, I'd make sure to let everyone know they're available for anyone to take.

They may not necessarily be pushing it on you. They might be just offering. It may feel like huge temptation is suddenly everywhere, and everyone is out to get us, but that might be simply because we're focused on it now.

Now, if you've said "Thanks but I'll pass this time" and they continue asking, or get nosy and pushy about it, then they ARE out to get you! Best to set that straight with them right away.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #3  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Aww that happens to me a lot too!!! But I think people who arn't struggling with their weight just don't understand how hard it is for the rest of us. Resist the temptations and be proud of yourself for your strength!
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #4  

Sometimes people forget about what you are doing or trying to do. Sometimes they are really just being polite. I try not to always believe there is a conspiracy at hand. So I hope you stopped giving her the evil eye, cause that's not cool
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I think there is nothing wrong in the initial offer as long as they back off and accept the no answer.

I know if my office they don't want to exclude me in anything so they often ask but they always accept my no offer.

I have been in the situation when people started excluding me from things that I would have liked because they assumed they knew the answer. That is a much lonelier position to be in.

So thanks but no thanks and appreciate that they still care enough to at least ask.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/135.2/115

Height: 5'0

Yea, I know. It's mostly my fault. By why do those fries have to smell so good?
comawhite2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, think of it this way. What if this woman, going out to get food, proceeded to offer to get something for everyone else in the office EXCEPT you. That'd not only make you feel just a little ostracized because of your diet, but would feel exclusionary too.

If the woman had brought you back your old favorite order from the fast food place without asking, while full-well knowing you were watching your eating, and then pressured you to eat it, that'd be rude. But offering to get you something when offering it to the rest of the group is just politeness and trying not to exclude you.

There are also healthy options at Burger King, and if you hadn't brought a lunch or had other healthier lunch plans, you could have opted to order one of those.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #8  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Well, think of it this way. What if this woman, going out to get food, proceeded to offer to get something for everyone else in the office EXCEPT you. That'd not only make you feel just a little ostracized because of your diet, but would feel exclusionary too.

If the woman had brought you back your old favorite order from the fast food place without asking, while full-well knowing you were watching your eating, and then pressured you to eat it, that'd be rude. But offering to get you something when offering it to the rest of the group is just politeness and trying not to exclude you.

There are also healthy options at Burger King, and if you hadn't brought a lunch or had other healthier lunch plans, you could have opted to order one of those.
HA! Amanda took the words right out of my mouth. I was also going to say if you didn't bring anything and had the $$, order a grilled chicken salad w/FF dressing and a LARGE Water.

Last edited by Diva; 02-26-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by comawhite2818 View Post
Yea, I know. It's mostly my fault. By why do those fries have to smell so good?
I know what you mean! Everyday, somebody's eating onion rings or french fries or buffalo chicken at their desk and the delicious smells drive me crazy! I wish people wouldn't eat at their desks.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #10  
Meg

The world is full of toxic food and we aren't ever going to be able to make it go away. It's absolutely everywhere -- we can't even buy gas without running the gauntlet of junk food. So if someone offers you a chance to eat food that's not on your plan, think of it as an opportunity to exercise your NO muscle. It gets stronger the more you use it!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree that she was trying to be nice. When I used to work in a group setting, I would always ask if anyone wanted anything before I left.

It doesn't always have to be a downfall for your diet-you could have asked for a grilled chicken sandwich, BK Veggie burger, or a salad if you didn't have any food with you-or just a Diet Coke if you already brought your lunch.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/130

Height: 5"2

I agree with everyone else on here, She wad probably offering to be nice. Also she may not know the type of diet your on and what in includes or what us not allowed. Lots of people still eat occasional treats or fast foods on their diet so she may not realise she was tempting you to do something not in your diet.
irishfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 205/168/150

Height: 5'4"

I completely can relate. I'm sure she didn't mean it MEAN but its still hard. I work with all men and they eat ALOT. They are always cooking something or farmers are bringing in homemade goodies that their wives made. Everyday they are running off somewhere to get fast food. They have ice cream cones every day at 9:30am NO KIDDING everyday! Then they turn around and try to convince me to eat with them. Its horrible I finally designated an "eater by proxy" and I have him eat everything that i want to eat and refuse to. But they are always on me - I have less than 20 pounds before I am to goal and they are all trying to convince me that 5 pounds is enough left to lose blah blah blah........ Stay strong!
Goldm00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #14  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Ha, I love the "eater by proxy" idea Great job staying on your plan!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 205/168/150

Height: 5'4"

I call him either my eater by proxy or my Designated eater LOL

they really are a great group of guys but they dont realize it makes it harder! LOL
Goldm00n is offline   Reply With Quote