Old 02-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/187/160

Height: 5'7

Question The Fat Sibling?

I wonder if anyone is in the same situation I am in. My older sister can eat whatever she wants and never gains a pound. Also she has three kids. I'm the youngest and I have to watch what I eat everyday. In the past some people wondered why I was so fat when compared to her.

I've lost alot a weight since then but I still weigh more than her. She doesn't understand what its like to have been obese and shop in specialty stores or wear clothes made for men. Anyone in the same situation where they have siblings who can eat like pigs but you have to count every calorie.
Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #2  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

Yes. My brother is skinny as a rail and eats the most calorie-laden junk you can imagine. Not the same as having a skinny sister to live up to, but frustrating to hear him complain that he can't put ON the weight he wants. I wish sometimes he and I could swap metabolisms, then we'd both be happy.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/135.2/115

Height: 5'0

I feel ya honey. All my life I've been the chubby one and my brother has been the skinny one. He has always been a fast food junkie, he loves ice cream shakes, he makes one everyday with a butterfinger bar in the blender. When we were younger he would make fun of me, but I think he finally realized that he was just lucky. Month after month of salads and calorie counting I would still be fat, and he would still be skinny. The world is just not a fair place.
comawhite2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #4  
:)

why on earth are peoples metabolisms so different? sometimes i think that there really is no way to define 'normal' because everyone is so different! I kind of see it as, when you are confident in yourself, you've got nothing to change.

not really relevant, but just thinking about your topic evoked a little spurt of wisdom.
lol
samick0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Not exactly the same situation, but my brother decided to lose weight months after I started, and he's lost just a bit more than I have now, and everyone notices his weight loss and not mine... Grrrawwrrr...

I think that has more to do with stupid men and their stupid awesome way they lose fat so quickly ; ;
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I am the fat sister... My lil sis is the skinny one, but she has to work for it, too. She decided back in Jr. High School that she didn't want to be chubby and lost weight then - she's been fine ever since... I envy that I didn't have the sense to watch my weight when I was younger.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #7  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi - popped in 'cause I thought the post was about me So, yeah. I share your pain. I have 2 older sisters, both skinny to my, um... not skinny. Seriously, we all grew up eating the same diet, and doing the same sports, etc, but had completely different weight outcomes. I have a picture of us when I was 5 (and they were 7 and 9) - I have bigger hips and legs than they did at that age! Yikes.

Now, one of my sisters complains that she can't find clothes - because the stores are making the size 2s too big. uh huh. And, up until recently, she ate candy as her main food group. Of course, now she eats really healthy so I can't spite her for that. The other sis is completely disinterested in food. Seriously, she has to make a point to eat, because otherwise she would forget. Sigh. How am I related?
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

Height: 5'5"

I *used* to be the non-fat sibling. But several years ago my brother decided that he was going to spend 2 hours at the gym every day and bulking up muscle/losing fat like crazy. Now whenever I see him he likes to make fun of people who struggle with their weight, especially girls, and rants on and on about girls who are "too fat" (when really most of them are perfectly heavy weights). In fact, usually he'll complain about girls being too fat who are thinner than I am, and then he'll be like "Well I wasn't complaining about you so why would you be offended?" He also walks around shirtless whenever possible to show off his chest, bragging all the while.

At the same time, being a jerk is just as unattractive as ever. =P

Last edited by TigerSoup; 02-26-2008 at 03:57 PM.
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

My brother is the same as yours carolineintx. He eats anything he wants and is skinny as a rail. He's always been super skinny. When in first grade his teacher reported my mom to child services, b/c she believed my mom was abusing him by starving him! He certainly was not being denied food he just can't put on weight. In jr high he was drinking 3 or 4 Boost shakes a day along with 3 meals and snacks and in 2 months he put on 3lbs. I don't have to be super strick or really watch what I eat when maintain, but I certainly can't eat the way he does....
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

My sister has always been thin. And always good at sports and always had good grades. I lvoe her to death but she's never struggled with weight. She's now about my goal weight and says she needs to lose. She is trying to eat better because she says that soon I will be skinnier than her (in a joking way).
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Just a little bit of hope -- my brother is 10 yrs older than I am, so we were never really "compared" in that way, but his metabolism was always remarkable, as were his eating habits. So skinny! But now he's nearing 40...and, well, it shows. So I'm just sayin, butterfinger milkshakes will catch up one day!
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #12  
I Can Do This!

S/C/G: 239/ticker/165

Height: 5'4"

My sister also is the thin one. I do have to give her credit though-she makes an effort at it. She joined WW a few years ago lost 20lbs and looks GREAT! I'm still struggling to maintain motivation to lose the weight I need to!
IndianaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 PM   #13  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Yup, I'm the fat one here. My brother is 16 months older than me, and weights about 60 lbs less. He's always had a very high metabolism and never gains any weight.

However, I know that, for a guy, that was kind of hard for him growing up. Other guys could bulk up easily, and he just never could. While I may have been envious of him at some point, I think he may have had just as many problems with self esteem as I did. He got made fun of a lot in middle school and high school because he was just too skinny. Now he's filled out a bit but still relatively thin.

And like someone else said.... those milkshakes will catch up eventually. My brother takes after my mom who had the same metabolism until she was about 30.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I'm the oldest and the heaviest sibling. A LOT of my family is heavy or obese though. A LOT of family uses food as comfort and just a reason to get together. and lots of it. It is very hard watching my siblings eat things and realize they won't have to do anything where if I eat it I will have to be in a gym for a week to burn it off.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #15  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 169/158/130

Height: 5'6

Yep...same story here my lil sis, is "practically perfect in every way" In college she gained the freshman 15, and it only made her look better!

But she is really short (5'1 to my 5'6)...I can loose the weight, she wont be growing anytime soon.

Last edited by niclyn; 02-26-2008 at 09:49 PM.
niclyn is offline   Reply With Quote