Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #1  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

Default Lumps??

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this. It's an embarrassing question to be sure. Did any of you begin to discover, as you lost weight, that you were more aware of the lumps in the fatty tissues? I know that fat deposits settle irregularly, but I'm not sure HOW lumpy is normal? Does this question even make sense? I don't know - I'm thinking maybe that after losing 30 lbs, I'm just noticing them more but I've always had these lumps?
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hmm, I don't know. Personally, I felt like I had less, but I've been exercising from the start, and so I had always thought that my body looked less lumpy thanks to that? But I could be mistaken, and it could just be one of those things that are very different depending on the people...
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTeacher View Post
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this. It's an embarrassing question to be sure. Did any of you begin to discover, as you lost weight, that you were more aware of the lumps in the fatty tissues? I know that fat deposits settle irregularly, but I'm not sure HOW lumpy is normal? Does this question even make sense? I don't know - I'm thinking maybe that after losing 30 lbs, I'm just noticing them more but I've always had these lumps?
Everyone's body is different so i can't say there is a normal of any kind, but yes, I AM more aware of being a little "lumpy" and i definitely think that my "lump" is more prominent than it was (i'm very apple shaped, and i have an overhang on my midsection - it's really my only lump but i am very self conscious of it) i'm pretty much slim everywhere - my legs are fit and toned, my arms are getting there, my torso from my shoulders to where my ribs end is also slim and toned, my lower belly is pretty flat (but soft) but where most of my fat is - from just below my ribs to my belly button, i have this overhang and as i get smaller i definitely feel it is more noticeable. it makes it look like i'm wearing clothes that are too small when i am not, and i firmly believe that i would be very happy with my current weight if it wasn't for that lump on my belly - but when i gained weight (and why didn't i notice this then?!) it was the first thing to show up, so i guess it will be the last to go. it was definitely much less noticeable 70+ lbs ago, and even 20 lbs ago. then it was just another roll!
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This is so funny, because yesterday I noticed some lumps on my leg, and they really concerned me, until I realized what they were. One was scar tissue from a deep cut I had gotten when I was 11 (I guess the fat and edema had plumped up the surrounding leg so I hadn't felt it in years). And the other is a benign cyst I asked a doctor about years ago (again, I just haven't seen it in years).

I also have a gland in my neck that has always been larger than the one on the other side. It shows up when I lose weight in my neck. It used to freak me out, but when I asked my doctor he not only told me that it was a gland, he helped me feel the other one. He gave me a good tip that helps prevent me from freaking out about lumps and bumps. He said if the lump is soft and easy to move, it's probably not something to worry too much about, and if I can find a corresponding lump on the other side of the body, it's also probably supposed to be there (like the first time I saw my anklebone).

Still, if you have a lump that hurts or just seems "not right," get a checkup and ask your doctor.

Fat itself can be very lumpy and even develop fatty tumors (where the fat gets encapsulated or separated from the rest by connective tissue, forming "pockets" of fat). I have a large fatty tumor from a car accident. The seatbelt dug into my arm and the scar tissue created walled off the fat from the rest in my arm creating a weird bulge. I have a naturally developed one on the other arm that is much smaller, but does create an unattractive ripple. Both will shrink as I lose weight, but the one caused by the scar tissue probably will not disappear on it's own, and I might want to have it surgically removed at some point.

As to normal lumpiness, it's so hard to say how much is normal and whether the lumps are something to worry about, especially in a forum where you have to describe it in writing. I think it's something to run by a doctor during a physical.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #5  
Trying it again....

S/C/G: 237/237/145

This is so ironic. I've always been able to feel the lumps under my skin and didn't know what they were. I got really concerned and noticed that the last time I lost weight, they were still there but slowly going away. Well, they came back. And this morning I was feeling my thighs and hips and felt all the lumps under my skin and was wondering that maybe it's from fat. Hmmmmm. I think I just got my answer. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Thanks.
tkglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #6  
Mel

Yes...as I lost weight, I kept feeling a lump of what I thought was fat on my left hip bone- turns out is was fat, but a big encapsulated cyst of it! It had to be removed surgically, diet was not going to affect it! By the time I'd hit my final goal weight, it was very noticeable.

The other "lumps" I can now feel are my lymph nodes. I was really alarmed at first, but my doctor assured me that at my body fat level, that's normal.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #7  
15th year in maintenance

S/C/G: 285/172/170

Height: 5'11"

Good to know I'm not the only one. After I lost weight I found that the texture under some of my skin seemed sort of pebbly. Doesn't look bumpy, just feels that way underneath. I once asked a doctor about it in passing and they just shrugged. "Some people are just kind of lumpy"
JohnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #8  

Hey, I had a lump! I had it surgically removed last year. I thought it was just part of my fatness but as I lost weight, it wasn't going away. It was on the side of my chest wall and it was a lipoma. Insurance covered the removal and it was nearly a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so much better now. Yeah!!!!!!
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKY View Post
Good to know I'm not the only one. After I lost weight I found that the texture under some of my skin seemed sort of pebbly. Doesn't look bumpy, just feels that way underneath. I once asked a doctor about it in passing and they just shrugged. "Some people are just kind of lumpy"
Thanks for sharing this. I've had the same experience after losing 50 lbs. I feel like a bean bag in spots. Nice to know other people have it and it is normal.
slowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I found two little lumps along the outside of my breast...scared me. Turns out they were just normal lymph nodes. They had been hidden by fat/nursing for a lot of years.

I also found a lump under my belly button. I asked my doctor about it, and it is a small hernia. Because of where it is, he is not concerned, but you can feel a little hole in the muscle wall under it. He says it is probably from one of my three C-Sections or pregnancy. I never noticed it before because it had a nice cushion over it.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Schumeany, I alo have the little hole just beneath my belly button.

I also have the pebbly texture under my skin. I especially notice it on the outside of my thighs where I have lots of muscle built.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #12  

I found this thread by searching online for what this is. I've lost about 60 lbs in the last 6 months and I discovered what feel like tiny fatty BBs (painless) under my skin. I also wondered whether they had been there all along. It does feel, as some of you described it, rather pebbly. I first noticed them when pressing on my inner forearm with two fingers. Like someone said, it doesn't look pebbly, just has that texture. Has anyone had it formally confirmed by a doctor that these lumps are a result of losing weight and that they are harmless?
MerryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #13  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, but it's all in my scalp. Seriously, I'm really prone to cysts there. I got one on my forehead once and had to have it removed. I knew about four of them before my weight loss, but losing even the little bit of fat that settles on parts of the skull has revealed a couple of much smaller ones. Since they're all under my hair, though, I try to ignore them.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #14  

yup i too had been getting scared because i can now feel little lumps and bumps on my arms and on my ab section - turns out they are just fatty lumps from losing weight. phew!
Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmuz View Post
Everyone's body is different so i can't say there is a normal of any kind, but yes, I AM more aware of being a little "lumpy" and i definitely think that my "lump" is more prominent than it was (i'm very apple shaped, and i have an overhang on my midsection - it's really my only lump but i am very self conscious of it) i'm pretty much slim everywhere - my legs are fit and toned, my arms are getting there, my torso from my shoulders to where my ribs end is also slim and toned, my lower belly is pretty flat (but soft) but where most of my fat is - from just below my ribs to my belly button, i have this overhang and as i get smaller i definitely feel it is more noticeable. it makes it look like i'm wearing clothes that are too small when i am not, and i firmly believe that i would be very happy with my current weight if it wasn't for that lump on my belly - but when i gained weight (and why didn't i notice this then?!) it was the first thing to show up, so i guess it will be the last to go. it was definitely much less noticeable 70+ lbs ago, and even 20 lbs ago. then it was just another roll!
I have that EXACT same thing. Strength training has helped immensely. Actually, I've gained about 10 lb of muscle and I can really see a difference. Here's a picture:

k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote