100 lb. Club - new to this

View Full Version : new to this

AmyJoy20
02-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Hello. I'm finally fed up enough to do something about my weight problem. I weigh 302 pounds and am 5'7". I'm happily married, have 2 beautiful small children and a very easy life. My weight holds me back from just about everything I want to do. I know what I have to do to lose weight, I just don't do it. I eat 3 normal meals but I constantly snack. After breakfast, especially after lunch and at night time, too. I feel so left out of my own life. I'm embarassed of myself and feel like people are only nice to me because they feel bad for me. This is so out of control. I hope I can stick with the changes I need to make to lose weight, get healthy and gain control of my life. Reading posts on 3FC makes lets me know that I'm not alone. Maybe this is the support that I need. Here goes. February 25th, 2008. HELP!!!

jellybelly06
02-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi there! Welcome! This is a great place to get support. I felt just like you. You can do this. Start slow and do it one meal at a time! Jelly

Merksie
02-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Welcome - I'm new too!

Lovely
02-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi there!!! You CAN change if you commit to it :)

Have you thought about how you're going to change? Food or exercise-wise? Let us know! Maybe we can give suggestions.

You're definitely not alone. We're all here struggling to get healthier & lose weight. Keep posting.

Best of success!!!

bethbeth
02-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Welcome AmyJoy!
Make a list of healthy snacks that you can eat, and stick to your list. For snacks like pretzels or almonds, when I bring them home from the grocery store I put them in little baggies of 1 serving each. That way I know how many calories I'm getting...and I don't eat the whole bag. My other favorite snacks are: banana, apple, orange, baby carrots, and low-sugar oatmeal.
I hope you'll stick around, and keep posting to let us know how you're doing!
Beth

famograham
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
:welcome3: Amyjoy! :hug:

You CAN do this. Sometimes it takes getting really low to give us the kickstart that we need. I know the feeling. BUT I also know what it feels like to pull out of it and SUCCEED!

What things would you like to do to get started? Just post any and all thoughts and questions and we will help you through this, OK?

You can make it! We all can, if we want it badly enough.
:hug:
Linda

midwife
02-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Welcome, Amy! You have found a great place full of collective wisdom, support, and butt-kicking as necessary. You have the tools and the power to change your weight. I know you can do it!!!

bigtxmomma
02-25-2008, 02:26 PM
WELCOME!

I feel just like you do. Congrats for making a change.

=D =D =D

rockinrobin
02-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Welcome Amyjoy.

I'm so glad you've found 3FC and I'm so glad that you have gotten fed up enough with your weight to go ahead and make the change to a healthier lifestyle. I felt EXACTLY the same way as you. Fed up, embarassed, held back, as if life was just passing me by.

I eat very frequently now. I just switched the foods that I eat. I went from ice cream to fat free/sugar free yogurt. From tons of rice to loads of veggies. I started cooking differently - no more frying. Lots of grilling, sauteeing, broiling and roasting. I went from pizza and pasta, to fish or chicken and salads.

And of course, you are not alone. We're all in this together. Good luck to you. :)

valpal23
02-25-2008, 03:00 PM
hi amyjoy... come back and tell us what your plan for weight loss is going to be :) Seriously I think we're all examples of how possible this actually is. you can do it too!

aerotigergirl
02-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi, Amyjoy! So many of us here can relate to how you're feeling. Luckily, you've come to the right place! You'll find loads of people here who've done what once seemed impossible to them: They've lost weight and kept it off! They've successfully changed their lives, and you can too! Come back often and let us all know how you're doing!

Beverlyjoy
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Welcome, Amyjoy...there is lots of support here. Folks do many different plans: from calorie counting to South Beach to Weight Watchers and everything in between.

We will be here to help you along the way.

Glad you found us....Beverlyjoy (is your middle name Joy? Mine is!)

Lyn2007
02-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Welcome! You can do it. We are all in this together. I am a mom, too, so I know it's a struggle sometimes, but it will be so nice when we can play with our kids, won't it?

kimmieone
02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Welcome, and we are here and we believe in you! :)

Cate426
02-25-2008, 08:10 PM
WELCOME! I completely understand what it is like to feel like you have a LONG WAY TO GO! But I can't stress this enough: set SMALL goals for yourself. If you have the mindset that you have 100+ pounds to lose, you will feel overwhelmed. Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. After a while, it won't seem like such an insurmountable goal.

Good luck!

AmyJoy20
02-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow! You guys really do care. My plan so far consists of eating 3 healthy, low-fat meals with one or two snacks throughout the day. Today was hard but here it is bedtime and I made it through the day. One day at a time. I have a membership at a gym so I also want to walk on the treadmill 4 or 5 times a week. I always attempt an all or nothing mentality when I try to lose weight. This time I really want to make life changes. Thanks for all of the support already. And yes, BeverlyJoy, my middle name is Joy, too. Cate, what is the little blue pill? Just wondering. Wish me luck for tommorow!

GirlyGirlSebas
02-26-2008, 08:38 AM
:welcome2: AmyJoy! Yes, you can do this!

Sandi
02-26-2008, 09:01 AM
:wel3fc: So glad to have you! This is a very active and supportive group!! Feel free to jump right in!

barbygirl43
02-26-2008, 01:26 PM
:welcome2: You have found a wonderful place for tons of support.

That all-or-nothing mentality is such a hard thing. I've always had it in the past. So far it hasn't come back around for me. I'm focusing more on exercise and less on counting calories. I do plan my meals out a week at a time and work more on sticking to a plan. If something comes up and I need to revise it, it's not a big deal and I don't throw in the towel because of a change that would need to be made. I really wish I knew why I'm not having problems with the all-or-nothing because I know it could really help so many.

Trazey34
02-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Good for you! We're all in (or were in) the same boat, so welcome aboard!! the evil snacking is what did me in too, and I'm happy to report with some conviction that I've really gotten a handle on it and feel like i've conquered a demon to be sure.

Exercise is the next demon I'm ready to beat into submission!!! WE can do this together yay!!!

Hopefulpinkangel
02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Welcome AmyJoy!! I'm new too and I totally understand where you are coming from. One of my main things is being a more active mom for my child. YOU CAN DO IT!! Good luck!

Healthy Mama
02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Welcome Amy Joy!
You can do this! As you can see there is lots of support out there! You mentioned a new gym membership - have you started going? I recently joined too, early January, and LOVE it. I go every second day and find that I am loving the "me" time.

AmyJoy20
02-27-2008, 08:22 AM
I made it through another day!! Yay! I did have a few potato wedges at dinner last night that weren't planned, but I still ate way better than I usually do. It's the start of day 3 and I feel really good so far. I decided not to weigh myself for a little while so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when I do. Even if the scale doesn't cooperate immediately, I know what I'm doing is making me FEEL better. Maybe I'll get to the gym today. My in-laws are coming for a visit so I really wouldn't mind getting out of the house! You guys are a God-send. No one understands what I'm going through, but now I know I have 3FC to turn to.

rockinrobin
02-27-2008, 08:49 AM
I made it through another day!! Yay! I did have a few potato wedges at dinner last night that weren't planned, but I still ate way better than I usually do. It's the start of day 3 and I feel really good so far. I decided not to weigh myself for a little while so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when I do. Even if the scale doesn't cooperate immediately, I know what I'm doing is making me FEEL better. Maybe I'll get to the gym today. My in-laws are coming for a visit so I really wouldn't mind getting out of the house! You guys are a God-send. No one understands what I'm going through, but now I know I have 3FC to turn to.

YES!!!!! Another day closer to realizing your goals, hope and dreams! Another day closer to a happier and HEALTHIER you. :smug:

:bravo::bravo::cp::cp::bravo::bravo:

mezmerize
02-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Welcome I look forward to helping you with your weight loss journey.

AmyJoy20
04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
OK, here i am 1 1/2 months later and I haven't lost any weight. That's because I fell off the wagon before I even started. I'm going to try this again. All of the support on this site is so motivating. Anyone have any thoughts on Nutrisystem? I think I may do this. There's also a weight loss doctor that I may go see. Not sure exactly what to do yet but I think I'll try to go one meal at a time.

findingfawn
04-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Congrats for coming back!

It is so easy to fall off the wagon! I have started and stopped a million times. I have tried this and that... low carb, no fat, eat what ever you want in small portions etc. Last summer I started with a bang, I started counting calories and the weight fell off super fast. After a month I was down 20 pounds, but I had my calories too low and in the end I crashed and burned. I gained that 20 back plus another 10!

I just started again the middle of March. I told myself I had no options anymore and if I failed this time I was going for the lapband.. something I'm totally terrified of. I use fitday and keep track of every single thing that goes in my mouth. Before it even enters my mouth I make myself enter it in. It is amazing how many extra calories are in some things that you would think were perfectly fine for you to eat. I eat pretty much what ever I want, I try to avoid whites.. white potatoes, rice, flour. I try to stay away from fatty meats, esp those with skin on them.

I dont' really have experience with nutrisystem, it is simply not an option for me.. way out of our buget if I want to stay home being a mom. I have heard great things about it, but I have also heard of those who don't lose at all on it. I know there are some here on the board who use it. It may be a good way to learn portion control (something else that surprised me.. I now measure and weigh everything!).

Here is what is working for me, if you want to try the calorie counting route....I eat 1600 a day (you could start higher, maybe like 2000 and if you lose too much up your cals by 100 for a week and see, if you don't lose at all or enough drop down 100 cal for a week or 2 and see.. then adjust accordingly). Many here are big on planning what they will eat for the next day or the next week before hand... that doesn't work for me, so I divide my calories throughout the day... for breakfast I eat 300, snack 150, lunch 300, snack 150, dinner 600 (includes a low cal desert usually), and a snack of 100. I get up in the morning and exercise every day. I don't allow myself the option not to do it, I don't allow myself the option of eating over my calories for a meal or snack, unless I plan ahead for it (say I want 400 cals at lunch, then I can' have 100 at my 2 snacks instead of the 150).

I don't know if this helped you at all, what works for each of us is different. It is a matter of trial and error. :hug: good luck.

Lyn2007
04-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Welcome back! I am glad you are back and trying again.

I think Nutrisystem food is nasty! I got some free meals from them awhile back and eww is all I can say. Also very high in salt and processed chemically stuff. I think if you *need* to have pre-defined, prepared meals you are way better off going with Lean Cuisine meals. Cheaper, taste a LOT better, and even tho they are high in salt they are better than the Nutrisystem ones I have had.

Of course I personally am a fan of eating healthy, natural foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, chicken, lean meats, nuts, legumes... If you can do that, it's much healthier than any prepared meals. I count calories on sparkpeople. It's free and tells me how I am doing nutritionally.

Good luck!

Tai
04-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Welcome back Amyjoy! I am pretty new to 3fc's too and it has been really helpful so far. I get a lot of good ideas for meals, snacks and just losing weight in general from reading all the posts.

I don't have any experience with Nutrisystem as it's too expensive for me, but I wanted to wish you good luck! I know you can do it!