Weight Loss Support - Are you more concerned about being healthy or losing weight?

missingmyerica
02-24-2008, 07:08 PM
After reading some posts lately, I started thinking about this. I think when I was in my 20's and 30's I just wanted to be thin. I didn't really think about nutrition, just the numbers on the scale. Now that I'm....gasp....42, it's become so much more to me. I really want to be healthy. I know the weight will come off, slowly but surely...but this time it's about feeling good.l It's so amazing how eating clean can make you feel so amazing. I have a strong family history of diabetes and heart disease, but for some reason I never thought about it until I hit my 40's. I truly didn't care about nutrition as long as my jeans fit. What are your thoughts?

WebRover
02-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Healthy #1. Losing weight's a very close second, very nice side-benefit.

nelie
02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
When I first started losing weight, I ate healthy as a means to lose weight and it worked for a while. I also found it easier to maintain my weight by eating healthier foods. Then I realized that eating healthy was important to me, more important than losing weight. I did realize that I needed to lose weight but my first priority became eating healthy and second priority was exercising and cutting back portions so I lost the weight.

I am also probably different than others though in that I never had health problems or felt I was in danger with my health or felt that my weight put me in danger for health issues. I also think you can link things like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc more to what people eat than to their weight although weight can cause issues.

dgramie
02-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I guess for me as bad as I want to loose weight being healthy is more important. I want to live a long life. My dad is in a nursing home after suffering a bad stroke. I dont ever want to live like he has to live. My grandmother was blind from diabetics. I truly love losing weight but I am feeling so much better and I love that I am not winded now. For me being healthy is most important.

2beautiful2Bfat
02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm probably the odd man out but I just want to be thin and being healthy is a side benefit. Now I do consider myself to be qquite healthy and have never had any real issues because of my weight but since losing 20 lbs I do feel much better and love the way I eat now. so health has become more important to me but if I really had to choose I just want to be thin!!!

JayEll
02-24-2008, 07:57 PM
I finally realized that I couldn't BE healthy UNLESS I lost weight. For years I tried to pretend that I could be healthy and fat, but it was an illusion. As I got older, everything started to hurt from just the difficulty of moving so much of me around. Everything was just harder to do. And I knew that my mother had developed diabetes, and that the risk of diabetes goes up tremendously with being overweight or obese.

So for me they went hand in hand. It's health I'm after, and that includes getting to a normal weight and staying fit.

Jay

doIlookfat?
02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Just like 2beautiful, I am the odd man out. Losing weight is my #1 goal right now. I am not "unhealthy" at 165, so eating to "be healthy" is not what I think about right now. I'm in my 30's so my priorities will probably change as I get older, but for now, I just want to lose this chunkiness and wear clothes in my closet without looking like the Goodyear Blimp!

I was afraid to admit this to anyone, but since you brought it up, I might as well fess up. I'm sure I'll get a lot of backlash because of it!

Heidi

2thinme
02-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I have to to be true too...I think my first goal is to be thin with health as a close close second....the reason I say this is that although I would not do anything to purposely damage my health in order to get thin....I do use products that some would think not very healthy to help me to become thin...i.e.--sugar sub. sf cool whip and the such....

jellydisney
02-24-2008, 08:27 PM
For me it is primarily about being thin. I'm in my 20's, so vanity is my biggest motivator. But I do realize that the choices I make now are going to affect how I feel and what I look like 10, 20, 30 years from now.

fiberlover
02-24-2008, 08:42 PM
For me it's health - however, when I first started trying to lose weight (in my 20s!!!) I just wanted to be thin, I assumed that I would be healthy if I just got the weight off.

Now I know differently. Plus, I have realized that my body is going to show signs of having been overweight once I lose it all. I revel now in my new muscles, strength and endurance.

PhotoChick
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Both equally.

I'm not going to deny that being thin is something that I crave and want and am looking forward to more and more.

But there are also health issues in my family as I've mentioned before and I do work at being thin in a healthy way because I know my family and personal risks. And I do love the way I feel when I eat healthily.

So .. I"ll say both equally.

ennay
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
healthy with out a doubt. It even bugs me that I sometimes dont get as much healthy fat as I would like in the name of weight.

horsey
02-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Me too, getting older YIKES, the big 40 this year! Makes you think doesn't it? I read in a diet book that 40 is a big turning point, you can either go down the road of health/nutrition/exercise OR... we know the other alternative. I want to be HEALTHY and have energy, I'm an older mom and it takes a lot. I'm also moody, have stressful work and I have to eat right to balance myself. Yes health problems in the family add to it, my father died of cancer a few years ago and I want to live long a long healthy life for my boy. PLUS I want to look good. I feel better when I fit in my clothes, take care of myself, wear flattering makeup, hair, nails, the basic stuff... When I'm fat I can't wear anything right and every morning that's depressing. I found it easy to be thin in my 20s, but now it's harder but I think you get more respect when you are fit and thin in your 40s.

nelie
02-24-2008, 09:21 PM
I think there is something else that I may have in my brain that others don't. I fear being thin. Being my current weight is scary at times. I still fear going into the misses section at stores and being called out as a poser. It is one reason I've been buying a lot of my clothes online or that I work with the speed and stealth of a ninja in a misses department (ok not quite).

It was a difficult change for me to go below 300 lbs because that is where I have been since I was in high school. So I had to struggle for every weight loss 'event' since that time. It is facing the unknown that scares me.

So I don't crave being thin because I'm perfectly happy with my weight as it is and I have been for a long time but I know I can go lower. I think going lower will benefit me in the long run. Unfortunately, being happy with my weight makes it a struggle to really lose weight but I try and do :) Going under 200 is very scary to me and it is why I've had to fight the urges to just stay where I'm at and go for it.

baffled111
02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
That's interesting Nelie. What is it that you think you're afraid of? You are doing a fantastic job for a person ambivalent about weight loss. :) (Although perhaps your kettle bell obsession helps!)

Put me in the vain camp. I like to look good and wear clothes well and not feel uncomfortable with my body. But I also am very much enjoying the health and fitness aspects of it all. I love feeling strong and fit and energetic and healthy. I also find that the health aspect of watching my diet enables me to interact positively with food and to stay out of the shame cycle.

Glory87
02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
This was the first time I was ever concerned about my overall health. In my previous attempts, I just wanted to be thin, no matter how I did it. I would be lying if I said I was ONLY concerned about health and nutrition, I love the most obvious "side effect" of my healthy eating - my size 6 jeans.

Lovely
02-24-2008, 10:01 PM
It flip-flops for me.

Right this moment? Honestly, being thinner is #1!

But there are other moments when I'm walking, or eating a phenomenal piece of fruit, that I reflect on the fact that being healthier is enjoyable.

PorkChopNoMore
02-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Being "skinny" is my priority here, a added benefit by following the 8 healthy guidleines on WW is the bonus part :)

rockinrobin
02-24-2008, 10:15 PM
My biggest motivation for losing the weight was to GET healthy. For me being healthy and being thin go hand in hand. For the most part. Certainly being thin is no guarantee of anything. You can certainly be thin without being healthy. But I don't think in all honesty it is possible to be at your tip top healthiest while being overweight.

shelby897
02-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Healthy, no thin, no healthy, no thin.....

Okay, so I can't decide -- Having been thin, I want that feeling back (but being older, I promise to appreciate it more :D). But, I'm getting way too many aches and pains and chest pains, etc. to ignore the benefit to my health. However, even if I lose enough weight to be healthier -- I don't think I will be my happiest unless I get to my goal weight.

Heather
02-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Starting my weight loss at 39 years and just about 300 pounds, healthy was my goal. I had not yet had a lot of weight-related health problems, but my mobility was becoming a real concern. And there's type-2 diabetes in my family.

I am not thin now, but believe me, compared to where I was I am tiny. In fact, while I wouldn't say I'm scared to be thin, I am unmotivated to lose more weight. I am generally pretty happy where I am right now.

In reading the responses above, it seems that while many people of all starting weights want to be healthy, if your starting weight never got above 200 pounds, you may be more likely to focus on "thin". Perhaps getting well into obesity makes health more of a priority...

CountingDown
02-24-2008, 11:03 PM
I finally realized that I couldn't BE healthy UNLESS I lost weight. For years I tried to pretend that I could be healthy and fat, but it was an illusion. As I got older, everything started to hurt from just the difficulty of moving so much of me around. Everything was just harder to do.

So for me they went hand in hand. It's health I'm after, and that includes getting to a normal weight and staying fit.

Jay

Jay - you summed it up perfectly. I deluded myself for many years. Once my quality of life started suffering because of my weight, it was finally time to make some changes. Unfortunately, it took until I was almost 50 to learn this lesson.

Better late ...

ennay
02-25-2008, 12:21 AM
In reading the responses above, it seems that while many people of all starting weights want to be healthy, if your starting weight never got above 200 pounds, you may be more likely to focus on "thin". Perhaps getting well into obesity makes health more of a priority...

Interesting observation...I never quiiiiite hit 200, but at 5'3" I was close enough.

ennay
02-25-2008, 12:23 AM
I think there is something else that I may have in my brain that others don't. I fear being thin.

I understand this. For me it was/is....I have been overweight my whole life. For a lot of things it defined "who" I was. I dont know who I am thin. It turns out I am not all that different, but at some level I feared losing who I was.

I think that is why it is all about the health and running for me. I still dont look at myself that much, dont buy new clothes that often, etc.

vixjean
02-25-2008, 12:27 AM
missingmyerica- you look much yonger than 42,
well, I have to say this extra weight has caused my depression and sadness to grow, and I realized that I want to feel more comfortable in my close and be able to do healthy things, like, tie my shoes, and even being intimate was difficult for me for a while due to some craps i was having in my legs.
so, #1 yes lose weight for appearnce, comfort, and mobility
#2 reduce the risk of disease in my future, and my overall health,
#3 help others by being stronger!

zenor77
02-25-2008, 01:19 AM
I lost weight to get healthy.

I don't want to be a downer here, but I want to be honest. I watched both of my parents pass from preventable "diseases of affluence." Once I got through the initial pain of losing them, I got mad and then I looked at my own lifestyle choices and decided to learn from their mistakes.

Turning 30 was a catalyst for me too.

Being thinner is a nice side effect though.

junebug41
02-25-2008, 02:56 AM
While I did feel a bit of fear about being thin (I had no idea what that felt like), my desire to escape the body I was in overpowered that notion.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I desired health ultimately, but I wanted to be "fit" and strong and athletic.

However, I was lucky to have a good base- healthy eating- not weightloss -had been ingrained in my head by my parents so I knew how I was going to go about it and in my opinion my diet produces excellent health :).

rockinrobin
02-25-2008, 07:59 AM
My experience is that of Junebugs.

I also had that fear of "being thin". As unhappy as I was, it's what I've known for almost all of my adult life. Being thin was unchartered territory.

But for me, it finally got to the point that the fear of the unknown had to be better then the quality of life I was experiencing being morbidly obese/overweight. And I was ready to take a chance on becoming "thin" or a healthy weight or whatever you choose to call it. Finally, my desire to be healthy outweighed the "risks" of getting thin.

missingmyerica
02-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Now that I'm in my ....sigh.....40's...;)....I think I'm just way too aware of all the health problems that I could develop if I don't get healthy. In Oct. of this year my blood pressure was borderline hypertensive, and now with only losing SOME of the weight I need to lose, it is totally normal. Even though I'm a nurse, I'm a total puss when it comes to my own health. I'm scared to death of being sick...maybe BECAUSE I'm a nurse....who knows? I can honestly say, fear of illness is my biggest motivator right now. In my younger years all I cared about was looking as hot as possible. I did all kinds of unhealthy stuff to stay thin, but I looked good and that's all that mattered to me. I guess it's all about where you are in life. I can totally understand BOTH places.

Katheryne
02-25-2008, 08:48 AM
When I first started losing weight my #1 priority was losing weight and my health didn't even enter onto the picture. I had health problems due to obesity at that point (insulin resistance, PCOS), and my family history was filled with diabetes, heart disease, and stroke, but for some reason it never put health on the forefront. I was willing to do some fairly damaging things in the name of losing weight with little regard for my health (i.e. 500 calorie per day diet).

After I lost about 20 lbs I realized how much better I felt, and my IR and PCOS symptoms essentially vanished. At that point I realized there were far more benefits to losing weight than looking cute, and I started to make health a much higher priority. At this point, my decisions are motivated by their impacts on my health, and I'm not willing to sacrifice it for a quicker weight loss like I would have so readily done before.

Kery
02-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Health. Being thin comes close second--claiming otherwise would be a lie--but with each passing month and year, now that I can actually see the big 30 coming closer and closer, concerns about health are looking more... important? Right now, I'm focusing way more on simply eating healthy foods and on moving regularly than on religiously counting calories and wanting to lose X pounds a week.

nelie
02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Baffled - I find it hard to wake up every morning and not recognize myself. Also, from my perspective, I am thin. I weigh what I did in elementary school. I no longer wear plus sizes, which I always did from a young age.

I also recognize that people here and that see me in my real life may look at me, my slow weight loss, etc and think I'm not healthy. I personally can only do what I know and do what I can.

missingmyerica
02-25-2008, 10:38 AM
As my kids get older, I realize how fast time goes by. I am thinking more about my age now, and wanting to make the most out of my life. I want to be active and healthy and just really live life to the fullest with my family and friends. It's funny how priorities change at different points in your life. Don't get me wrong, I want to wear cute little clothes too! I just want the whole package....health, happiness and a hot body! ;)

Circebee
02-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Sigh.. Add me to the once "skinny", now older and trying for "healthy" camp. I have realized that just eating "whatever", as long as it is under 1400 calories a day may keep my weight lower, but I don't feel well if I do this. My IBS flares us horribly when I eat food that is high in fat, or if I overindulge in artificial sweeteners. Then I really pay for it, and that "goodie" does not seem so good to me. Also, it had taken me quite a while to really accept that foods that are good for me can be DELICIOUS! This is a bit of left-over rebellion from a restrictive eating lifestyle. It is liberating to choose foods that will help keep me skinny, be healthy, and taste great!

Scarlett
02-25-2008, 12:11 PM
like someone mentioned earlier, for me it flip flops.

right now I'm in the health department, even though I'm young and not over 200lbs, I am over 50# overweight and I have been having problems with PCOS and in doing some research I found out that this can be a precursor for diabetes which is a nasty disease that I don't want to live with.

Both of my parents are morbidly obese and to be honest I feel mad at them for living this way, like they are being selfish and don't want to be around to be grandparents when I have kids later on. My siblings and I are going to be the ones that have to suffer though stress, hospital visits and assisted living when complications associated with their lifestyles manifest (my dad is a heart attack waiting to happen, it's a matter of when, not if)It's also difficult to do things with them now because they have mobility problems.

I'm trying to loose the weight and learn how to live healthy so that I can fix this problem now, and don't have to deal with the health consequences of keeping your body overweight for many years.

I'm learning that the time and effort it takes to go out of your way to be healthy, and the time spent at the gym really is worth it.

wisher
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Honestly it depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm more concerned with being healthy and fit....other times I'm more concerned with losing weight and looking better. I admit that at the moment I just want to be smaller and look better! But next week it may be the other way around :p

beautybooty
02-25-2008, 01:56 PM
It's a mix for me. On one hand, honestly, I am not THAT unhappy being overweight. I don't feel like a thin girl trapped in a fat girl's body. The only cosmetic things that bother me is that I can't just shop anywhere and I have to have my jewelry specially adjusted.

I am mostly losing weight for my health, though. But at the same time, I am by no means trying to be a health freak. I don't need to be that girl who eats nothing but veggies and runs 234 miles a day. I just don't want to be in such a high position for ending up with diabetes or heart disease.

tleef
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
My priority is to get healthy! I want to be able to keep up with my active fiance and my 15 year old daughter. I already have so much more energy! I also love to eat good food and know that it is much better for me than fast food or other high fat fare. I think it's fantastic that I'm reducing the chances of so many health risks by living a healthier lifestyle. Now the flip side of that is that I love that my body is changing...I love that I'm already looking and feeling better in my clothes...and without ;) I know that the changes I make know are sustainable and hopefully will also be accepted by my daughter who then will never have to be unhealthy to learn to live a good long life. I have a goal now that is a number...but for me I will have reached my goal when I feel terrific, I can shop in normal clothing stores, my doctor has nothing negative to say at annual check-ups and I have the energy to live an active lifestyle. That is my goal...but for now I'll use a number as something to work towards.

Cheers,
Tamara

BattleAx
02-25-2008, 02:34 PM
I wanted my life back, and that included a body pulsing with good health and vitality.

I wasn't able to lose weight long-term on vanity alone. It wasn't until I suffered greatly from a reduced quality of life, issues with mobility. and a feeling that my opportunities were shrinking that I was able to flip the switch.

missingmyerica
02-25-2008, 02:36 PM
My priority is to get healthy! I want to be able to keep up with my active fiance and my 15 year old daughter. I already have so much more energy! I also love to eat good food and know that it is much better for me than fast food or other high fat fare. I think it's fantastic that I'm reducing the chances of so many health risks by living a healthier lifestyle. Now the flip side of that is that I love that my body is changing...I love that I'm already looking and feeling better in my clothes...and without ;) I know that the changes I make know are sustainable and hopefully will also be accepted by my daughter who then will never have to be unhealthy to learn to live a good long life. I have a goal now that is a number...but for me I will have reached my goal when I feel terrific, I can shop in normal clothing stores, my doctor has nothing negative to say at annual check-ups and I have the energy to live an active lifestyle. That is my goal...but for now I'll use a number as something to work towards.

Cheers,
Tamara

You have captured my feelings and put them into words! Thank you.

pamatga
02-25-2008, 02:40 PM
i agree with both what JayEll said and doIlookfat. I too am concerned about using so many sf products right now, which I never did before, BUT I had this conversation not that long ago with my DH.

IF I went to the doctor today and he/she said you have this or that, in terms of health issues, and I HAD to use these products I wouldn't even debate it, I would do it.

So, why am I feeling sheepish about using these products because I am at 39.5 %BMI for my height??? Hello, being obese is NOT healthy although in the past I thought that as long as I could keep up with my skinny friends then I was ......but it came at an expense, friends. I have such damaged joints from trying to boogie and hike while I was packing all of this extra weight on my body.

And, young ones, we older chicks still like to look nice too. That never grows old. Never!! I just don't entertain string bikinis or thongs. I will leave those to young chicks. Give me 100% cotton low waist briefs any day. In white, of course. Easier to bleach. LOL

chickyboo
02-25-2008, 05:32 PM
I want to say healthy but I am just very frustrated and depressed by this process. I have been "dieting" since I was maybe around 9-10 years old and have always been loosing the battle - not the bulge. So honestly I just want to loose weight - I will worry about the healthy when I get that far. Plus by loosing I will be healthier right? I am healthier by being overweight now vs. obese which I was in high school...so to me they go hand and hand but honestly I must say deep in my heart - because of what I have been feeling so long - I want to loose weight a tiny bity more.

Jadeybaby
02-25-2008, 11:35 PM
It is interesting to see how people's age seems to show whether they are concerned about health or getting slim! Perhaps that's because people my age are not very wise!
I am 19 and to be honest, my main motivation for losing weight at first was my apperance. However, now I am more focused on my health. My dad is 40 and diabetic (he was diagnosed in his 30s) and recently had surgery on his heart because of a blocked artery. He is in the RAF and was never very overweight and is very fit. My uncle has similar problems-he is not overweight at all, never smoked etc. but had a heart attack aged 44.
So, I have realised that I have pretty crap genes from my dad's side of the family and I do not want to get any of their problems!
I went to the doctor last week and was very excited that my blood pressure is a lot lower than it was in October, so I'm going to keep it up for my health!
Like most of you have said, if that means I end up slim then that's a cool bonus!

blondebritbrat17
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm 24 and for me right now losing weight is equivalent to being healthier since I've been told once I lose about 30 more pounds most of my risks will just about disappear along with my back pain most likely. Now I don't care if I'm ever 120 pounds again like I was before I started gaining weight. That weight was hard for me to maintain even back then when I was 19 and I excercised a lot about 20 hours a week at dance practice. If my body gets to 150 and I just cannot seem to lose anymore I will not kill myself over it at the gym to the point where I'm constantly exhausted or feeling unbelieveably sore. I eat much better now and am more aware of my health risks and what I need nutritionally to help prevent osteroposis for example in my future. I am enjoying feeling that my body is strong and that I was able to keep up in a karate class that lasted 3 hours for example. For me it's all about look what I did physically. I do have to admit when I first started losing weight and trying to educate myself about food that it was very much about looking better and it still is but it's not so much a focus now since I'm already a happier person.

bluex
02-26-2008, 11:42 PM
I am also probably different than others though in that I never had health problems or felt I was in danger with my health or felt that my weight put me in danger for health issues. I also think you can link things like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc more to what people eat than to their weight although weight can cause issues.

I don't think that's exactly true. I can speak about diabetes because I am diabetic and because I've read tons on it. The number one cause of diabetes is genes. But if you have the genes, every pound you can lose will help you with lowering your blood sugar. The fact is that fat cells are more insulin resistant than say muscle cells. Which goes to say that there are thin diabetics and fat diabetics but the heavier you are the harder it is to control it with just diet.

Blood pressure is another health issue directly related to weight. My high blood pressure was directly related to my weight. I am no longer on medicine for it and further more, I don't even have that diagnosis. I don't follow a low sodium diet, yet my blood pressure is low normal now and the only difference is that I lost 102 pounds.

I've also read on here about people whose knees are shot due to all the extra weight they carried for years. If I was overactive, my knees would pay for it. I feel very lucky, I didn't kill my knees.

Back to the question... for me it was health. I always felt healthy and I didn't realize that inside diabetes and high blood pressure was eating away at me, killing me. When I found out, I changed my diet for my health. The weight came off. I am one of the believers that if you eat healthy, you'll lose weight anyway. I didn't have a weight loss goal in mine, I just knew that my new "diet" was forever, a new way of life. The weight kept coming off and as I got under 200, I did start setting healthy weight goals.

I am now at a high normal bmi, and weight loss is no longer my goal. I don't need to be thinner, I do want to be healthier. I want to exercise regularly, I want to eat tons of veggies, I want to start running, I want to just keep this life style and help my body live better and longer. There are no guarantees but we can sure help, you know?

I think it's a kind of denial to think that the weight won't take a physical toll on you. Eventually, you will feel it and it will cause problems.

Anyway, I also don't judge anyone who wants to lose weight for looks because it doesn't hurt you know? It is what it is. I learned to love my body fat and now I am having the same sort of love issues because of loose skin, etc. That's why I focus on health and loving my body no matter what.

JayEll
02-27-2008, 06:41 AM
And don't forget that the passage of time seems to play a part in this, too! That's why the younger you can lose excess weight and keep it off, the better.

Jay

junebug41
02-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Does anyone maintain for health or did health become #1 AFTER you lost?

Maintaining has brought about a lot of awareness of my body and general health. I remember what it was like before to have excess facial hair, a period every 5 months, acne, and terrible mood swings and every other symptom of PCOS. Once I realized how important my weight is in managing it (the symptoms are GONE), health became the #1. Also, my doctor telling me that maintaining my weightloss is preserving my ability to have children was a pretty big statement to me.

Beach Patrol
02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Like many people, "being skinny" was real important when I was younger. I judged my health BY my weight. If I was thin, then I must be healthy, right?

Now I'm older, and hopefully, a bit wiser... I judge my weight by my HEALTH. If I am overweight, I am certainly NOT healthy. My goal is to BE healthy. Part of that goal is losing weight.

Health 1st! .... being thin is just "icing on the cake" (OMG, what a BAD pun!!!)

BrandNewJen
02-28-2008, 04:32 PM
For me, losing weight is the priority. But I'm doing so in a healthy way and choosing healthy foods b/c I realize the impact that has on my health as well.

Sure, I could lose the weight just eating tons of packaged, lowcal foods... but I'm making a distinct effort to add tons more veggies, fruits, whole wheat, etc etc into my diet.

But that wouldn't have happened if I wasn't trying to lose weight first. And that doesn't mean I don't enjoy pudding, fudgesicles, etc that I can still eat thanks to Splenda.

the slim me
02-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I think it's 50-50. And i think they go together. You can be thin and very unhealthy. I don't think you can be a lot over weight and still be healthy. It will catch up with you eventually. I "diet" to keep the weight off and maintain my health. That doesn't mean you can never have a treat, it means getting the nutrition your body needs to function at it's best. I want to look good, but honestly, if you're not healthy it doesn't matter as much how you look. You just want to feel good again.