General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #1  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Default Alcohol intolerance?

I can't drink alcohol- well, any more than 2 drinks. If I do, I get violently ill. I get nauseous, I develop diarhea and I experience serious pain in my stomach for many hours afterwards. I don't even need to get close to being drunk, and I have this reaction. Needless to say, my college social life generally lacked a certain "drunken glory" but I am not a huge fan of drinking, it's okay. I was just wondering- am I the only one?? Does anyone else have the reaction? Is there a such thing as alcohol intolerance?
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I have a very good friend who has breathing problems if she drinks more then half a beer. I think her reaction is considered an allergy by her doctor though, since she essentially goes into anaphylatic (sp?) shock. All kinds of alcohol do this to her.

You might want to mention it to your doctor, just to make sure it's not a symptom of something serious.

Not being able to drink isn't the end of the world. Now not being able to eat chocolate... that WOULD be the end of the world! At least for me...Lol.

Last edited by zenor77; 02-23-2008 at 06:40 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #3  

i agree. check with your doctor. could simply be an allergy to the ingredients in the kind of alcohol you drink. or like zenor said, a symptom of something else. either way, it would be safer to know for sure. even if it's just an allergy.
countrygirl7902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #4  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

I have trouble drinking as well. Usually one and I'm done. If I drink wine, my food may not digest for at least 24hrs. I remember once when I was younger, I had 2 glasses of wine with a meal and it took over 48 hrs before my food would go down. It just felt like it hit the top of my stomach and stayed there like a rock. Very painful.

I've never thrown up, probably b/c I haven't let myself drink very much at all. I've had the other problem though, or just had my system come to a stand still.

I'm not that into it anyway, but it is just annoying if I happen to want to have a drink I live in fear of my body's reaction. Glad I'm not alone.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

I'd advise you to get this checked with your doc. I have the totally opposite problem, I have inborn tolerance which is quite freaky
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I have a friend who has an allergic reaction to any grain-based alcohol--she also has celiac, so I suppose that could have something to do with it.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

I can only drink two myself and I cannot drink really really sweet drinks otherwise it makes my blood sugar shoot up like apple sours and etc. I can drink two strawberry daiquiris which is sweet but nothing like the drink creations that my friends make lol but I usually stick with just one because if I drink two or more I get horrible stomach cramps myself and horribly nauseated from the pain but never throw up.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #8  
~FaBulOuS~

S/C/G: 195/159/155

Height: 5'8

I have a high tolerance for alcohol. But I too have some sort of allergy to it. When I drink alcohol sometimes I will get blotchy red patches all over my body. Usually it starts in my face and slowly works down to my stomach. I only feel hot when this occurs and have never gotten sick becuase of it. My father used to have this reaction as well but only when he was younger yet his reaction worsened as the night progressed, he would usually start to feel violantly ill as well and have to lay down immediately. I however have never had this happen to me becuase when I start to blotch I ususally know its time for me to go home, especially becuase it is definately embarrassing.
meldogml84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #9  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

For me, alcohol has a terrible, bitter aftertaste. Similar to what some people experience with certain artificial sweeters, I expect. I'm like the Princess and the Pea with booze- I can detect even the smallest amount, and it makes me retch from the taste. Soooo, my collage years were fun, but dry as well!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote