100 lb. Club - 5 bites to eat one Oreo cookie? I don't think I'll ever be like that...

BrandNewJen
02-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I was just having a funny memory as I was reading a different thread.

Two years ago while I was still in graduate school, I remember watching another classmate of mine eat during class (typical fat girl, huh? Food bag opens and I can't turn away! :lol: )

Anyhow--- she was this cute, petite, skinny thing... and she had a little baggie with four oreos in it. It HONESTLY took her 5 bites to eat each oreo. FIVE BITES? She literally made that bag of 4 oreos last half the class...

Ummmm... I'm lucky if I get two out of an Oreo.

And it gets me wondering... that's a thin person habit. She's thin because of that.

I don't have it in me to eat an oreo in five bites. Will I ever??? I just don't think something like that can happen for someone with years of "food training"... I can cut portions... but that kind of stuff...

That's skinny people behavior!

chunkychelsea
02-22-2008, 01:26 PM
5 bites?!?!?!
Oh dear.. I'm afraid the only way I could get 5 bites out of an oreo is if I found it mashed into five pieces in the bottom of the package!!!

BrokenButterfly
02-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Did she atleast separate the oreo first? :lol: Thats the only way to eat an oreo cookie. :lol: haha..if she didnt, I wonder how long it would take her to eat one

I notice stuff like that all the time :lol:

Sandi
02-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I think it is a thin person mentality. They don't see food the same way as we do.

I have a memory of a student (skinny, of course) buying a bag of M&M's...ate some, folded the bag in half and it sat there until the NEXT day and then she finished them. I kept thinking...EAT THE M&M's ALREADY!!! :lol:

KateB
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I do think this a thin persons veiw of food. I can only hope one day I will be that strong.

I read one article years back and it said something to the effect of "...to be a thin person, you must not only eat but think like a thin person..." the article went on to say you should buy a bag of M&M's, potato chips, snickers bar, ice cream...what ever your weakness was and put it in the cupboard/fridge/freezer...and learn to live with food. The purpose was to learn that you didn't have to eat everything in the house, or all in one sitting. YEAH RIGHT!!! Spoken like a true skinny person!!! I like the idea of getting all the junk out of the house so you have a "safe haven" from the things that haunt you!! I mean c'mon do you think they would tell an alcoholic to keep a bottle of vodka on hand so they could learn not to drink it!!! SHEESH!!!

kuhljeanie
02-22-2008, 02:48 PM
If anyone's interested, there's a book called the Beck Diet Solution that trains you to "think like a thin person." It's cognitive behavioral therapy and I'm a willing poster girl! It works with whatever diet program you're on. I'm still working my way through the program, but it's amazingly helpful to work on your thinking patterns as opposed to trying to tough it out by willpower alone. Willpower just doesn't cut it for the long haul, you know what I mean?

Jean

PhotoChick
02-22-2008, 02:52 PM
I've mentioned this in another thread.

My mom used to take 2 or 3 bites to eat a single almond. She'd eat 6 or 7 almonds and be satisfied.

I realize that now I do the same thing - not always, but most of the time. If I slow down and enjoy what I'm eating, savor the taste of them, rather than cramming handfuls in my mouth and gulping them down, I enjoy them more and eat fewer of them.

I have a dove chocolate bar that's been on my bedside table for almost a month now. I break off a square every couple of days, eat that, wrap up the rest and put it back. I've never been able to do that with candy before. It's kinda amazing.

JayEll
02-22-2008, 02:57 PM
I've mentioned this before, too. My naturally "normal weight" friend eats popcorn one kernel at a time, and takes two bites to finish a kernel. Now you think this is nuts--but I've tried it, and it really is an OK way to eat it. Not like my old way, which was to stuff as many as I could into my mouth and try to chew... :lol:

It lasts longer and you feel more satisfied.

Jay

samick0926
02-22-2008, 03:14 PM
I read once that if you're eating with a friend, you should set your fork down and talk between bites. You don't realize that you're allowing the food to make you feel more full by slowing down because you're talking, but you end up satisfied without eating near as much.

Glory87
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't know, my mom is a natural thin person and she always eats with relish, gusto and with obvious pleasure. She's just an energetic person (fidgety) and "forgets" to eat when she's busy.

kaplods
02-22-2008, 03:28 PM
There defiitely is something to be said for slow, mindful eating. I'm definitely trying hard to learn the skill. I do great as long as I literally keep my mind on what I'm doing (eating). If I try to multi-task even just talking to dinner companions, the food is gone before I've barely tasted it.

The weird thing is, I found that it really does feel like I'm eating four times as much food, if I eat four times slower than my usual pace.

This is one of the reasons I've given up eating "diet" products that aren't great tasting. I've never found a fat free salad dressing that I can eat except by choking the salad down really fast. For years though, I did just that. It's no wonder that "dieting" felt like deprivation - eating foods I didn't like, as fast as I could choke them down SO I wouldn't taste them.

Eating quickly is a hard habit to break, though. I don't know if it will ever come naturally. I may always have to plan ahead and consciously work at taking my time.

nelie
02-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Sandi,

My husband is like that. He'll eat part of something and put it away. It is hard for me to do that but I'm learning! I've started to weigh my portions so that there is no 'cheating' for things that are higher in calories.

suzie76
02-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Kate,

I think that book was called "When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies." I had the same reaction-yeah, I should keep my house full of brownies and chocolate chip cookies to help me lose weight-that would never work!

Sherry

kimmieone
02-22-2008, 04:03 PM
If it is perfectly normal I'll never be normal, there will never be an Oreo that takes me 5 bites to eat it. lol

xGurlyGrlx
02-22-2008, 04:11 PM
The Oreo thing is really funny. I would try to eat my cookies in small, little bites to make them last longer but it would end up making me feel like I didn't really get to eat it. It was weird.

My best friend is a petite little thing and I observe her all the time. We worked together for a few years and if she was interrupted with a call during lunch or someone coming to talk to her about work...she would get so distracted and couldn't eat her food anymore. Its like she would get stressed about work and then throw away the food!!! That is when I would finish EVERYTHING! So weird. She is also the girl that forgets to eat!! I must add that, recently, I have discovered that she is WAY more aware of food than I originally thought she was. I almost think skinny people make an effort to eat things a certain way too?

Lovely
02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
When I'm thinking about what I'm eating & truly enjoying the taste, I find that it tends to take me twice as long to eat (and I'm a slow eater). But, I also find that I'm twice as full!

When I slip into my "cram everything i can into my mouth" mode, nothing seems to satisfy. This is why I don't like to eat in front of the TV or computer too often... I don't really enjoy my food.

FresnoBeeDude
02-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I would be highly entertained, and almost willing to pay to watch a skinny person suck on a Tootsie Pop. Remember the old commercials how many licks until you get to the center? "1.....2....3....CRUNCH"I can do a Oreo Cookie in 3 bites. Seperate the cookies, suck up the cream, eat each cookie

fiberlover
02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
I can do a Oreo Cookie in 3 bites. Seperate the cookies, suck up the cream, eat each cookie
Technically, that would be 2 bites. Sucking isn't biting :D

Lyn2007
02-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Cookies and I do not get along. Eat a cookie in 5 bites? Um, how about eating a whole COOKIE SHEET of hot chocolate chips cookies in five bites, right out of the oven, burning my mouth in the process? This of course after I ate the rest of the batter raw.

Yeah, cookies are not my friend.

FresnoBeeDude
02-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Technically, that would be 2 bites. Sucking isn't biting :D

I know I said sucking, but it's not like I'm inhaling it with a straw (double-stuff maybe?!?). Since I am scraping it off with my teeth, I'll consider that a bite!

PhotoChick
02-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I would be highly entertained, and almost willing to pay to watch a skinny person suck on a Tootsie Pop.
Most of us would be up in arms if someone somewhere else said they'd be willing to pay to watch a fat person inhale a box of Tootsie Pops. ;)

FresnoBeeDude
02-22-2008, 08:08 PM
If it's the chocolate ones, I may be up for that challenge!

Lovely
02-22-2008, 08:10 PM
I preferred BlowPops, with the gum inside.

Noelani
02-22-2008, 08:25 PM
5 bites? That's crazy. Haha. For me, an oreo would be a one bite thing. With my old eating habits, I'd sit down with a huge glass of milk, dunk each oreo in the milk and gulp the whole cookie. Before I knew it I'd eaten darn near the whole bag.

That's the reason I'll never have any foods like that in my house again. It's just too hard for me to resist.

hafowler
02-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Hahahaha. I was about to mention Beck, kuhljeanie! The Beck Diet Solution has helped me learn to eat mindfully, and I feel a LOT more satisfied with my more reasonable sized meal portions!

I'm trying to adopt these skinny chick behaviors. Maybe it's a part of this whole new mindset, but eating more slowly really allows me to taste the food. In the past, with my binge habits, I could inhale entire pizzas and never taste a bite. So... I guess I can't fault the five bite Oreo chick. :D

Darkblue
02-22-2008, 09:22 PM
*sighs* I can eat an Oreo (or chocolate chip cookie) in one bite. I've tried nibbling them, but as GurlyGrl said, it doesn't really feel as if you got to eat anything.

It's just better not to have cookies in the house.

Except...it's Girl Scout Cookie Time. :stress:

kaplods
02-23-2008, 12:13 AM
When I was sick last month, my husband went out and brought home Fazoli's. I asked for spaghetti with marinara because I knew the calorie count. He brought home a slice of cheesecake for me. I was almost strong enough to pass it up, but I was feeling sorry for myself for being sick, so I ate it, but.....

I ate it slower than I have ever eaten anything in my life. I made that skinny piece of cheesecake last 45 minutes. I'd scrape the plastic fork against the cheesecake for such tiny bits on the fork you could actually see the black fork through the cheesecake on it. I also drank a sip of diet lemonade between each bite (harshly tart against the sweet cheesecake, but it made each bite of cheesecake that much sweeter and creamier). It was the smallest, yet most satisfying piece of cheesecake I had ever had.

Now, if I ate EVERYTHING like that, not only would I lose weight, each meal would feel like a spa indulgence.

jtammy
02-23-2008, 12:52 AM
My normal inclination is to eat an Oreo in 1 bite. But I have gotten to the point where, if I have something like an Oreo, I would take 4 - 5 bites to finish it. Sometimes, I still "forget" and fall back into my old habits. If I'm eating socially, I'm more apt to think about it and make it last. It's those times when I'm alone in the kitchen that I'll forget and stuff it in my mouth whole...

loveXhateXregret
02-23-2008, 01:01 AM
I do think this a thin persons veiw of food. I can only hope one day I will be that strong.

I read one article years back and it said something to the effect of "...to be a thin person, you must not only eat but think like a thin person..." the article went on to say you should buy a bag of M&M's, potato chips, snickers bar, ice cream...what ever your weakness was and put it in the cupboard/fridge/freezer...and learn to live with food. The purpose was to learn that you didn't have to eat everything in the house, or all in one sitting. YEAH RIGHT!!! Spoken like a true skinny person!!! I like the idea of getting all the junk out of the house so you have a "safe haven" from the things that haunt you!! I mean c'mon do you think they would tell an alcoholic to keep a bottle of vodka on hand so they could learn not to drink it!!! SHEESH!!!

i think the point of the whole keep it in the house idea is because you are going to be around food your whole life...you need it to survive...whereas an alcoholic is supposed to never touch it again...

so by keeping it in the house it strengthens your will power and helps maintain control over your eating. as in a box of cookies isn't bad as long as it's eaten in moderation...a box in one sitting obviously bad. but 2 a day for dessert is ok.

i don't know the way i diet is i don't have foods i can't eat, i just cut down the amount. this way i don't have crazy binges nor am i always desiring that off limit food because i can have it...in moderation of course.

rockinrobin
02-23-2008, 08:20 AM
I used to take 2 oreo's, open them both up and put the 2 halfs left with the cream together. I was making up my own Double Stuff. I would first devour the 2 pieces left with no cream in a couple of bites. And then I would eat my *double stuff* cookie, in maybe 3 bites.

I was a shoveler. No doubt about it. I don't know why I felt the need to eat my food so quickly. Did I think someone was going to take it away or something? It's not like anybody was even around me most of the time. ;)

I still need to work on slowing my food intake down. I try the putting your fork down in between bites method, but it hasn't worked just yet.

Lyn2007
02-23-2008, 11:30 AM
I appreciate this thread. It made me think. DH and I are going out to a very nice, classy, authentic Italian restaurant tonight. I've never gone before (we hardly ever go out) and I don't have any idea of the menu.

In the past it would be:
inhale half the breadbasket with butter, drink 3 cokes, have a small salad with full fat dressing and cheese on it, eat the whole entree (which was usually fettuccine alfredo with sausage and garlic bread), and of course a full dessert (the richest one out there). I was so intent on eating as much as possible that I hardly tasted anything. Why???

I am going to take this as an opportunity to really ENJOY a meal. The atmosphere, the company, the chance to have someone ELSE cook for me. I am really hoping they have a veggie/fish entree. If not I will go with chicken. (I really hope everything is not pasta and fat!!!!). I am sure I won't eat the whole entree... maybe one piece of bread... water or iced tea to drink. I may like to try a dessert, but I will split it with my DH and daughter and I will only have a few bites. I am going to make a POINT to eat slowly, enjoy the food and the experience as much as possible.

midwife
02-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a wonderful plan, Lyn! Have a great date!

loveXhateXregret
02-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I appreciate this thread. It made me think. DH and I are going out to a very nice, classy, authentic Italian restaurant tonight. I've never gone before (we hardly ever go out) and I don't have any idea of the menu.

In the past it would be:
inhale half the breadbasket with butter, drink 3 cokes, have a small salad with full fat dressing and cheese on it, eat the whole entree (which was usually fettuccine alfredo with sausage and garlic bread), and of course a full dessert (the richest one out there). I was so intent on eating as much as possible that I hardly tasted anything. Why???

I am going to take this as an opportunity to really ENJOY a meal. The atmosphere, the company, the chance to have someone ELSE cook for me. I am really hoping they have a veggie/fish entree. If not I will go with chicken. (I really hope everything is not pasta and fat!!!!). I am sure I won't eat the whole entree... maybe one piece of bread... water or iced tea to drink. I may like to try a dessert, but I will split it with my DH and daughter and I will only have a few bites. I am going to make a POINT to eat slowly, enjoy the food and the experience as much as possible.

mmmm italian food! do you know which italian restaurant? the only decent one around here is Olive Garden (which is were i work)
omgosh during training when we were talking about foods they told us that our fettuccine alfredo was the equivalent to eating 30 pieces of bacon!!! and its our most popular dish...i guess they are right when they say the worse it is for you the better it tastes:dizzy:

Lyn2007
02-23-2008, 06:00 PM
It's a local place called Bella Italia. It's not a chain. I think it's the only one. The owners are from Rome. Should be yummy :)

kikimonster
02-23-2008, 06:23 PM
One of my college friends used to eat so slowly and dissect all her food before eating it. For example, pizza? She used to first eat the cheese. Then she'd eat the gooey middle part one bit at a time. It used to drive me nuts (and make me a little nauseous to tell you the truth), but I think she thought that if she ate really slowly like that she wouldn't eat a lot. In the meantime, I would be sitting there with my food all finished. Oy!

Darkblue
02-23-2008, 06:25 PM
mmmm italian food! do you know which italian restaurant? the only decent one around here is Olive Garden (which is were i work)
omgosh during training when we were talking about foods they told us that our fettuccine alfredo was the equivalent to eating 30 pieces of bacon!!! and its our most popular dish...i guess they are right when they say the worse it is for you the better it tastes:dizzy:

Oh my...my DH always orders extra alfredo sauce, too. :eek:

Lyn2007
02-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Back to report... I tried it, and it worked!

I did great at the restaurant. I ate slowly and enjoyed every bite. I ate less than usual and endd my day at 1649 calories. Not bad!!!

rockinrobin
02-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Back to report... I tried it, and it worked!

I did great at the restaurant. I ate slowly and enjoyed every bite. I ate less than usual and endd my day at 1649 calories. Not bad!!!

VICTORY!!!!!! What a HUGE step. GREAT JOB!!! Thanks for the motivation,

Eat slowly. Savor every bite. Eat slowly. Savor every bite. Eat slowly. Savor every bite..... she repeats over and over again to try and remind herself to do so...

I must really remember to eat s - l - o - w - e - r

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Merksie
02-24-2008, 02:20 PM

If I've chosen to eliminate a food completely from my everyday diet, I don't like having that food in my kitchen. For me, this means most "junk" is out - no processed snack foods or candy.

On the other hand, I do see that it is important to learn to handle calorically dense but healthy food that you wish to eat, but in limited quantities. So, I always have things like nuts and cheese around, and often have ice cream or healthy baked goods around for when I can fit them into my daily calorie allowance.

Lyn2007
02-24-2008, 02:21 PM
p.s... I weighed in this morning after the italian dinner. I did not gain any weight :)

I think there must be something to this way of eating. I guess if I ever eat another Oreo, I will take 5 bites.

PhotoChick
02-24-2008, 02:24 PM
p.s... I weighed in this morning after the italian dinner. I did not gain any weight

:) While it's good that you didn't gain any weight for your weigh-in, weight doesn't process to fat that quickly. You cannot step on the scale and say that the results are due to what you did YESTERDAY. What you see registering on the scale is due to your actions from days ago - and often the accumulated actions of several days.

This is one thing that causes people to be easily discouraged: they eat well for one day and are upset that they don't see results the next morning on the scale.

It takes 3500 calories to make a pound (or lose a pound). No matter how well or badly you ate last night, 12 hours isn't enough to gain or lose those 3500 calories.

kaplods
02-24-2008, 02:45 PM
While it's true that it takes time for a meal to be processed, the weight of the food itself virtually only makes a false gain possible. In other words, if you haven't gained by morning, the gain isn't going to show up "later." (I'm talking real fat gain, not a water gain that could be caused by sodium retention, etc.)

The reason for this is simple, the most you can gain from a pound of any food, is a pound. In fact to gain a pound, from a pound of food, the food would have to be 100% fat (nothing else, no protein, carb or water). If you eat a pound of fat over and above your calorie requirements you still can only gain no more one pound from eating it (because one pound of fat is at most 3500 calories). Even much of what we consider "pure" fat still has water in it, so even if you ate a pound of butter, you wouldn't gain a full pound, because butter still contains milk proteins and water.

Basically, it is pure and simple physics - conservation of mass. You cannot create something from nothing.

Lyn2007
02-24-2008, 03:34 PM
oh, I know it often takes time for "real weight" to show up due to our actions, but I can tell you that many, many times in the past I have eaten out and weighed 3-4 pounds heavier the following morning. It usually takes me 4 or 5 days of eating right before that gain goes away. Some of that is water retention, some is the food weight, but for me, not seeing a gain the morning after an indulgence is a great thing. It means I did much better than usual in my food choices.

Of course, if I eat healthy for the next 3 days and then have a sudden "spike" of 3 pounds, I would reconsider my thinking!

FresnoBeeDude
02-24-2008, 03:46 PM
obut for me, not seeing a gain the morning after an indulgence is a great thing. It means I did much better than usual in my food choices.

Of course, if I eat healthy for the next 3 days and then have a sudden "spike" of 3 pounds, I would reconsider my thinking!

Just be very careful in this style of thinking. People (myself included) will reward ourselves in a case like this. "Wow, I didn't gain anything, I will treat myself to an ice cream sundae, with oreo cookies - that is worth a 1/2lbgain!". Then when we do good and see a gain anyways, "damn, this suck, all that hard work for nothing. Screw it, I'm getting a ice cream sundae with oreo cookies - so what if I gain 1/2lb, I already failed myself."

Lyn2007
02-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I used to do that, FresnoDude. As a matter of fact, when I didn't gain, I thought to myself, "Maybe I should put a green X on the calendar for yesterday since I didn't gain. It wasn't so bad." But I stuck with my commitment to myself to use a green X ONLY for days I am under 1500 calories. So my calendar now has one red X to remind me that I went off plan a bit and to be extra careful to string together a bunch of really good days... as many as possible. No more excuses!

FresnoBeeDude
02-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I just noticed your ticker. Good Luck (this is more of a jab at myself) getting out of the 240's. I had been stuck there for awhile!

Lyn2007
02-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I have been stuck in the 240's since November! But I was more around 245-248. I think I am close to breaking through. Congrats on the 230's! You're doing an amazing job.

KidsLibrarylady
02-25-2008, 08:20 AM
5 bites?!?!?!
Oh dear.. I'm afraid the only way I could get 5 bites out of an oreo is if I found it mashed into five pieces in the bottom of the package!!!

That is the funniest thing I have ever read!!

I would always watch the skinny girls eat in class. They did eat so very slowly and then... not all of the food... gasp. I, of course, tried not to eat in class lest people think that I ate too much. As if me squeezing into the chairs wasn't a good indicator. ;)

starofsorrow
02-25-2008, 08:55 AM
I usually finish my Oreos in like, three or four bites. =) I think to me, it's viewed as more of a treat, and not "ZOMGZ FOOOOD!". I like to dip them in the milk and just enjoy little bites, soggy ones. =)

Then again, I don't eat Oreos very often, so that might be it as well. I'm not a cookie fan, but I do really like Oreos.

BillBlueEyes
02-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I watched a six year old eat an Oreo yesterday. He did it right. One bite removes the top. One lick removes the middle. One bite finishes the job.

I've known how to do that since I was two.

Admittedly, my maintenance plan usually doesn't include Oreos, but, when their time comes, they will be consumed by the sacred tradition known to all little kids, LOL.

Spiritmagejkt
02-25-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't think I'll be eating much in the way of cookies again. Doesn't really agree with me. Slowing down for me is tough though. We're trained when we're in school to scarf down lunch because sometimes we'd only have 10 minutes to do so. ( No one has addressed the obesity problem by lengthening school lunchtimes) Then at work I'm lucky if I get time to eat anything much less sit down and relax to do so. Now I have to somehow slow down so I don't eat so much.

starofsorrow
02-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Man, I remember that, Spirit! When I was in high school, the lunch lines would be something like 15-20 minutes, which would have left us with about 10 or 5 minutes to eat our lunches if we were unfortunate enough to buy lunch!

They finally split the lunch periods up into "A" lunch, and "B" lunch after I graduated, but I don't really like that either, but hey, I'm outta there now!

carol2208
02-25-2008, 10:49 AM
hehehe, I used to an oreo in one bite, in less than ten minutes I would have finished the entire pack of oreos... uff... now I try not to eat them, and when I do, I can do it in 2-3 bites and I eat three cookies and that´s it...

I still struggle with trying not hoover down the food and acknowledging when I´m satisfied... somehow I still can´t find it in me to leave food on my plate...

Lyn2007
02-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Oreos just aren't the same anymore since they took the trans fats out. Seriously. I used to love them. Then suddenly I got some one day and it was like, WTH??? What is wrong with these? Sure enough, they had taken out the trans fats. Same thing with Little Debbie. I used to eat whole boxes of Swiss Cake rolls and oatmeal creme pies, but after they took out the trans fats, they aren't that great anymore. It really made me mad... LOL.

BrandNewJen
02-26-2008, 10:44 AM
That's interesting, b/c I'm one of those people who NEVER noticed the difference between no-trans fats and the ones that still had them! Hmmm...

Dorys Girl
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Oreos are a huge trigger food for me. I think I'd be able to eat an entire package in one sitting...wonder how many bites that would be...

Rayelle
02-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I thought I was the only one who ever noticed this habit before! Haha! I don't think I'll ever be able to do that either but I am trying to make a habit of taking a drink of water in between bites to help slow down the food consumption...when I am actually sussceful at this I am quite amazed!

pamatga
02-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey, it's Fish Friday, so it's appropriate.

First, eating slower does NOT necessarily mean you are "safe" from overeating, everyone!

I am one of the SLOOOOOOWEST eaters, besides my Dad, that I know of and just look at my ticker and you can see I am no twig.

I can't finish my lunch in 30 minutes. My DH and I sit down to supper (or dinner if you live in the East) and he is finished and putting away his dishes and I am still "working on" my food. Last night, I got tired of sitting alone (again) so I just told him to wrap it up and I would have it the next day.

I think Spirit... has the right idea. What about these lunch hours (I had a job that was like that too) where you have so little time to eat your food? In Europe they take two hour lunch hours. Now, that is what I need! I used to bring my food with me and eat it when I could sneak it. Now, that is not a good way to eat either. On the run! (another thread there too) Doing two things at once usually means one of those things you are "zoned out" on.

However, I have made a pact with myself and starting soon I am going to break for a half hour lunch (I work from home and usually eat at my desk---that is a whole other thread) and I am going to force myself to meet the rest of the world half-way. I am finding that some of my old "de-stressing" ways of "grazing" are returning. I had a lunch the other day that lasted 3 hours and I was eating cold chili!! I need to have clearer boundaries.

As for Oreos, gosh, I haven't had those in decades. I heard they caused cancer and then I gave most cookies up since they were my "trigger" foods. If they aren't in my house, they aren't in my mouth!

Of course, if they have improved them and there is a tall cold glass of milk around, you might catch me "doin' the dunk!" ;)

TheWalrus
02-29-2008, 02:49 PM
We hadn't had Oreos in years until I broke my leg. My husband then brought me a bag of double-stuff Oreos. Mmmmmmmm...man they are good. My philosophy of eating is to eat healthily but also to not deny myself, because that's where I get in trouble. If I have a craving for chocolate and I resist it and resist it, then I end up eating tons of other foods while trying to fight the craving, and then often end up eating the craved food, too. I'm good with eating slowly -- I'm not good with stopping eating. If I have a bag of something sitting there, and I'm not tired of it, I often just methodically go through it. I'm getting better, but it's easy for me to just keep chewing! I'm (8 years in) not used to my being fat yet, but when I first got fat (gained over 100 pounds in 18 months), I did lose weight by 1) being depressed and 2) asking myself when I was eating "Are you really hungry?" for each item. If it was after 9 pm, I would promise myself that if I still wanted whatever it was the next day, I could eat it then. Usually, by the next day, I didn't want it any more -- or at least not enough to pass the "Are you really hungry" test. I think I've got to start doing that more now!