Weight Loss Support - To those Who Don't Mind Sharing Their Stories...

ashisback
02-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Out of Curiousity.... Anyone have a real, true, lose weight quick story? If you do I'd like to hear it, and how you did it, if you are willing to share :)

PhotoChick
02-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Define "lose weight quick"?

I have a bunch of them ... where I dropped weight quickly, and then gained it all back.

The God's honest truth is that there is no such thing as a successful "lose weight quick" plan, just as there's no successful "get rich quick" plan.

Losing weight and keeping it off takes time, work, and a dedication to changing your lifestyle.

Horo
02-22-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm sure you'll come across many 'lose weight quick stories' followed up by stories where the person describes gaining it all back and then some. ^^

rockinrobin
02-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Lose weight quick stories? Uh-uh. No can do. But I've got PLENTY, PLENTY of GAIN quick stories. ;)

Losing weight IS doable. But it does takes commitment and hard work.

NoVaVTFan
02-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Ashisback - I just commented on your Lipovox thread. You need to get the idea of losing weight quickly out of your head. And the idea of using a drug to do it.

Many, many posts here say the same thing, as well as many doctors, trainers, fitness personalities - those who do drastic things to lose weight quickly are just going to gain it back and then some. One of the only ways to lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off is to do it healthy and slow - a calorie deficit (but not enough to starve yourself) and exercise. 1-2 pounds a week is what you should be shooting for. This means getting to your 145 goal won't be quick, but it will be the healthy way to do it. Please get this quick idea out of your head.

JayEll
02-22-2008, 08:13 AM
I once lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks, eating turkey breast and egg whites etc. It was someone's internet diet plan. The nutrition wasn't that bad, but I'm sure it was very low calorie. But I couldn't sustain it--and I had more than 15 pounds to lose. Plus I have never liked egg whites, and thanks to that diet, I don't like turkey anymore! :p

I broke down and stopped following that plan, and I gained back not only the 15 pounds, but another 8 to keep them company.

So that was yet another learning experience about weight loss. If you look at my top ticker, you'll see 43 pounds down from my highest weight. 33 of those pounds took me 8 months to lose--average a little over 4 pounds per month. But my weight loss plan was sustainable, and it could also be adapted to maintaining my weight.

So, please find a program that will help you lose weight safely and will also give you ways to keep it off once you lose it! :cb:

Jay

Glory87
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
In college, I decided I ate nothing everyday but a bowl of rice crispies, an orange and dexatrim. I lost 20 lbs in about 4 weeks. I binged horribly at a fourth of July party (1 O'Boise potato chip set me off and it included almost an entire box of donuts) and ended up kneeling over a toilet bowl feeling horribly sick and nauseated and wanting to make myself throw up (couldn't manage it, thank God).

I gained all the weight back so quickly I have 3 permanent stretch marks on my belly to remind me not to be an idiot.

LittleMoonRabbit
02-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I have done it too. I did it while living in my college dorm. I was taking "herbal" diet pills, and while I was eating healthier, I think back to it now and I am almost positive I wasn't getting enough calories... the diet just was not sustainable. I felt sick, hungry and weak all the time- almost thought I was gonna pass out once. I lost 12 lbs in a relatively short period of time... I was down to 145... it came back so fast, I didn't know what hit me, and I found that it seemed much easier to gain weight. I had started at 157... and wound up here after hitting 166. Trust me... I have tried it, and then I learned. You just can't think of losing weight as a short sprint. It doesn't work that way... it's a cross-country marathon- hard work, lots of time and dedication. But it will be worth it. Too often people think... Oh man, a whole year to lose 40 lbs- takes too long! But how small is a year in the grand scheme of things? If you get healthier, you'll live longer... let's say you live until you're 80. That is 1/80th of your life!!! To feel better and be healthier, is that really such a long time?? Also, don't forget maintenence... you'll have to eat for your thinner, beautiful body for the rest of your life. Don't ever expect to drop the weight, and then eat like you used to. I made that mistake too, lol.

SCraver
02-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I hit my highest weight, ever, not long after I moved in with my husband (fiance at the time). We ate complete crap all the time. We considered chips and dip to be a well balance dinner. And buying fruit and veggies was unheard of. I think I hit about 245 - 250 lbs. I was in bad shape and very unhealthy. I would get out of breath so easily. When my mom came to visit with a flier for Dr. perscribed diet pills, I knew it was time to do something about my weight. I joined a gym and did about 10 mins on the elliptical a few times a week, switched from white bread to wheat bread, and cut back on the chips and dip. 20 lbs. litterally FLEW off. I have never gained back those 20 - 25 lbs, but I also never went back to my old ways. (and I still have a lot more weight to lose). The changes I made where permanent changes, and they led to more changes down the road.

ennay
02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Summer after my freshman year in college i was working 2 jobs and sustaining that on no breakfast, a half sandwich of fat free cream cheese and jelly (~120 cals), dinner at my wendy's job - baked potato and small chili (500 calories) and a pop-tart before bed (200 calories).

I lost about 20 lbs that summer, and gained about 40 that fall, it took about 20 years for my metabolism to recover.

Rapid doesnt last, eats your muscles, and leaves you sick, unhealthy and fatter than you started.

GONNABE165
02-22-2008, 12:16 PM
I did a quick weight loss plan once. It was my own plan and I ended up in the hospital. I was my highest weight ever 248 and just left my 1st husband and was all depressed so I stoped eating COMPLETLY only drank soda and lost 40lbs in around a month/month in a 1/2. I ended up in the hospital cause I had gotten to where I was spitting up blood. Needless to say I had to build back up. I now know QUICK is almost like the magic pill - unhealthy

SCraver
02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I ended up in the hospital cause I had gotten to where I was spitting up blood.

~Gasp!~ I am so glad to hear that you are going the healthy route this time!
:hug:

mandalinn82
02-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Previously, I always got so STRICT with myself when "dieting"...I'd eat 800 calories a day and drop weight, then put it back on, then drop it again, then put it back on. Ugh. Sure, I dropped it fast. But it always came back even faster.

Hat Trick
02-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I once gained 10 lbs in a two month period by scarfing down bag after bag of Sunchips. Tasty, salty, stress-crunchy chips, those little devils. Worked great -- I didn't even need to exercise or anything. Just bam!, instant weight gain. But I don't suppose this is the kind of story you're looking for, huh? :dizzy:

Eves
02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Two or three years ago I got dysentery and lost a little over 15 pounds in about a week and a half. Neither the bucket, the toilet, or I recommend it though.

kaplods
02-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Pretty much like everyone else here has posted mine (about 36 years worth since I was put on my first diet at age 5) all end with gaining it all plus some extra faster than it came off.

baffled111
02-23-2008, 12:39 PM
I am loving these stories. Am I the only person in the world who has never been on one of these crazy crash diets???

Lovely
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Baffled - This is actually my very first diet, ever. Never tried anything else. Oh, I had intentions of dieting before, but those intentions never made it past the first meal.

jellydisney
02-23-2008, 04:38 PM
I broke down and stopped following that plan, and I gained back not only the 15 pounds, but another 8 to keep them company.

LOL.

Ditto to all the stories here. I had a beach party a couple of years ago that I crash dieted for. I lost about 5 lbs in 2-3 weeks. I looked great at the party. Then I ate everything in sight for about 3 months afterwards, and gained 10 lbs.

Sooooo not worth it.

hafowler
02-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh, boy, do I have those stories. Like the time in Jr. High when I lost 75 pounds in five months by eating nothing but Figurines and Weight Watchers frozen pizzas and exercising at least 1 1/2 hours a day. I kept a lot of that weight off for years by taking fist fulls of "diet fiber" pills and drinking Diet Coke. Then I went through a period where all I did was chew gum and smoke cigarettes. Then I got sick of beating myself up over my weight, and in about five or six years, gained 120 pounds.

Dude, quick weight loss happens, but there is a big price to pay. I have to work twice as hard as most dieter's, because over all those years of starvation and deprivation, my body has developed a lower starvation point. That is, it takes a far smaller calorie deficit for my body to panic and shut down. So think twice before you try that fad crap!

jellydisney
02-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Two or three years ago I got dysentery and lost a little over 15 pounds in about a week and a half. Neither the bucket, the toilet, or I recommend it though.

:lol:

When I got my wisdom teeth taken out, I couldn't eat anything solid for a week. I dropped weight so fast! LOL.

Heather
02-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Quick weight loss approach: chain saw. ;)

Works like a charm -- how much you want to lose determines where you make the cut! :lol:

Though, I suspect such an approach comes with certain, nasty side effects! :lol3:

gailr42
02-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I have never been on a "crazy" diet, but I used to go on a 1000 calorie balanced diet and loose about two pounds a week. I was the perfect dieter - NEVER strayed from the plan.

I can only speak for myself, but I believe that the reason I gained the weight back so fast is that I went right back to my old eating habits. It is not that I lost too fast; I just didn't learn new habits while dieting. In retrospect, I think that if I had had the slightest clue about maintenance, I might not have gained so quickly. There seems to be much more emphasis on maintenance here and in some of my reading materials than I was ever aware of before.

The reason I am taking the "slow" route this time is that I just don't have the mental energy any more to be that strict with my eating. I felt just awful about being so heavy, I couldn't motivate myself because I would get so depressed when I thought about all that work, so I decided to follow some of the suggestions in Ellie Krieger's book, Small Changes, Big Results. You are supposed to change your life in a few weeks. It is taking me much longer than that :lol:, but that is how I got started.

baffled111
02-23-2008, 10:00 PM
It is not that I lost too fast; I just didn't learn new habits while dieting.

I actually see these two things as connected: one of the reasons I think we don't learn new habits is because we focus on losing weight quickly. Taking a slower, more moderate approach teaches better habits which stick because they have been employed longer by the dieter, and more importantly, the more moderate approach is MUCH closer to what food-life is like as a maintainer. Eg, for me, losing on 1200 calories a day taught me basically nothing about eating like a non-fat person. I learned the calorie values of foods, which is helpful knowledge to have, but I never learned what a moderate and balanced diet actually looks like. Losing on 1600-1800 calories a day takes a little bit longer, but it's also only a glass of wine and a handful of nuts away from the bottom end of my maintenance range. This is why so many maintainers are able to say that maintaining is just like losing, only you get a little bit more food.

My two cents. :)

junebug41
02-23-2008, 10:14 PM
I lost quickly.

It's the broken-ankle-post surgery-cigarettes-diet-pepsi-and peanut butter m&m diet.

Yup, lost about 40 pounds. Imagine Bridget Jones at the beginning of the movie. On her couch, depressed, smoking like a chimney and living off of peanut butter m&ms and diet pepsi because she was alone and couldn't even walk to the kitchen.

Worked like a charm.

If I had lost the rest of the weight and had gone back to my previous habits, I'm sure I would have regained it, but I got sick and tired of my previous ways.

Now I have new ways and have kept the new habits (and kept the weight off) for 4 years. And I... committed to it.

I wish I could tell you it's as easy as diet pepsi and cigarettes, but that would cheapen the whole experience as well as my success.

jtammy
02-23-2008, 10:32 PM
When I was a teenager I tried very low calorie diets that mainly consisted of boiled egg (which I didn't care for), grapefruit juice (which I hated), bouillon cube (again, I didn't like it but it only had 10 calories per cup :p), and dry toast (I had always heard that if you toasted it, it no longer had calories). I never lost any weight on it. How could I....by the second day I was miserable and starving and binging on foods I did like. It took me another 20+ years to realize that dieting didn't have to be a form of punishment.

almostheaven
02-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I've taken Dexatrim, Slimfast, been on total salad and veggie diets. And I lost a lot of weight pretty quickly every time. And I gained it all back pretty quickly every time. The worst part, it always came back with a few friends. :(

lilybelle
02-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Similar to Archy's post, I lost 9 lbs. in a 24 hr. period once when I got food poisoning from a Whataburger restaurant. Of course once my Dr. stuck me in the hospital and poured the IV fluids to me, the 9 lbs. found me again.

Mel
02-24-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm laughing so hard the tears are pouring down my face. Of course it's not really funny, but our experiences sure point to the same conclusion!

I did a 600-700 calorie "Doctor's Weight Loss Clinic" Diet in my early twenties and ran 4-7 miles daily. I lost about 30 pounds in two months, and then ended up with a stomach that was eating itself from the inside out. I got pregnant when I hit my lowest weight (110 pounds) and put on 50 pounds during the first trimester. Talk about stretch marks!! I added another 15 during the next six months and didn't lost my "baby fat" for 19 years. I' sure that experience and similar diets contributed to my very sluggish (or efficient- depends on the way you look at it ;) ) metabolism.

At least I know on a desert island, I'll be the last to die.

Mel

srmb60
02-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Hard boiled eggs and green beans ....

Tomato and cabbage soup ...

Banana, milk and grapefruit ...

Or the soccer/piano lessons mom pop corn diet. I ate in the car only.

I think the average was about 6 lbs lost and 8 lbs regained.

hafowler
02-24-2008, 05:19 PM
At least I know on a desert island, I'll be the last to die.

Mel

Hahahahaha! Or... the first to be eaten by the others! :eating2:

GatorgalstuckinGA
02-24-2008, 07:26 PM
ashiack - so you can see from everyone's post...that fast weight loss usually is just temporary. Most of us here at 3fcs know from experience that the only way to loose and keep it off..is through slow weight loss in which you change your life/viewpoint on how and what you eat. I still have dessert every now and than..however, instead of the fried chicken, i've learned to eat mostly fish and baked items. A fast weight loss plan is just a that...a fast wt loss plan. It won't teach you the healthy habits for long term weight loss. And at some point..you will get fed up/frustrated by what you have to do to loose the weight, you might "go off the deep end". And when you do..you'll usually gain all if it and then some back. Most of us here are concerned about people trying to loose wt quickly. Its not healthy and it can harm your body sometimes. In addtion, you will just be more frustrated when you gain it back. If you have a "deadline" you are working for..it won't help. My suggestion is start a healthy lifestyle and start to learn a way you can live the rest of your life. It may not get you to the goal weight by X day..but you know what...you will hopefully keep it off the rest of your life. Good luck and check out all the forums to find something that works for you for long term healthy weight loss.

kari a go go
02-24-2008, 09:02 PM
The Alkiline Diet...it's basically a fast, you drink nothing but fresh squeezed vegetable juice for nine days...and it did make me feel like I had the flu, which the book says is normal(getting rid of all that toxic build up you know) any way, I lost 19 lbs in 9 days.

Heather
02-24-2008, 10:37 PM
The Alkiline Diet...it's basically a fast, you drink nothing but fresh squeezed vegetable juice for nine days...and it did make me feel like I had the flu, which the book says is normal(getting rid of all that toxic build up you know) any way, I lost 19 lbs in 9 days.

Did you keep it off over time?

ashisback
02-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Is that like a clenseing diet? I was reading up online, and I've talked to a few people who do clenseing, which isn't really so much a diet it is just to clense out the toxins in certain parts of the body by drinking fresh squeezed vegetable and fruit juice blended with ice for like a week and take psillium (I know I spelt that wrong) fiber twice a day. Just wondering if that is like the same thing?

vixjean
02-25-2008, 12:33 AM
In College I went from Sedentary to 3 one our step classes a week,
I had a great teacher,
8 week class, lost about 18 lbs. That is my most dramatic weight loss ever, and I kept it off for 4 years after that, until stopped working out.

Healthy Mama
02-25-2008, 01:17 AM
I can't believe that no one has mentioned the "break up diet" yet! You don't eat any food except diet coke and low cal microwave popcorn and smoke cigarettes while crying on the phone to your friends for 8 hours a day. You can drop about 10lbs in 2 weeks! ;)

If there was a quick fix, a quick permanent fix, I would have found it by now, bottled it, sold it, and been a billionaire!

Glory87
02-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Is that like a clenseing diet? I was reading up online, and I've talked to a few people who do clenseing, which isn't really so much a diet it is just to clense out the toxins in certain parts of the body by drinking fresh squeezed vegetable and fruit juice blended with ice for like a week and take psillium (I know I spelt that wrong) fiber twice a day. Just wondering if that is like the same thing?

It is just my opinion that cleanses are a lot of hooey. Your body cleanses itself of "toxins" everyday - when you go to the bathroom. It's incredible, free and healthy.

rockinrobin
02-25-2008, 07:40 AM
I can't believe that no one has mentioned the "break up diet" yet! You don't eat any food except diet coke and low cal microwave popcorn and smoke cigarettes while crying on the phone to your friends for 8 hours a day. You can drop about 10lbs in 2 weeks! ;)

If there was a quick fix, a quick permanent fix, I would have found it by now, bottled it, sold it, and been a billionaire!

Oh my goodness, that's where I went wrong. I thought for sure the "break-up diet" was diving head first into a half gallon of ice cream. And then shoveling a bag full of Doritos down one's throat as fast as humanly possible, in between sobs. ;)

rockinrobin
02-25-2008, 07:41 AM
It is just my opinion that cleanses are a lot of hooey. Your body cleanses itself of "toxins" everyday - when you go to the bathroom. It's incredible, free and healthy.

Glory, have I ever mentioned how much I really, REALLY like you? :smug:

GatorgalstuckinGA
02-25-2008, 09:29 AM
agrees with glory...if your kidneys and liver are functioning properly....your body is cleansing itself by the minute. Its all a crock the "clensing diets" And i think your body feeling like the flu is your body's way of telling you something ain't kosher. Be careful of stuff like that..many peopl have lost gall bladders due to rapid poor unhealthy wt loss.

Heather
02-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I think it's more than just Glory's opinion. Most of the medical community would agree that the cleansing fad is best for one thing: separating you from your money! ;)

PhotoChick
02-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Add me to the "cleansing diet is hooey" group.

kcmolisa
02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Of course I have similar experiences. I'm now adopting the philosophy that I'm eating healthy for being healthy and not to lose weight. The weight loss is just a side effect. I can't even recount the number or times I've decided, Okay, I'm just going to eat oatmeal all week and see how much weight I can lose, or I'm just not going to eat until 6 o'clock at night and then I can have one big meal, or I'm going to eat only fruit and then run 5 miles a day. It works, but it's not possible to do for any length of time.

Just think about it. If you've got 60 pounds to lose, at an average loss of 2 pounds a week, that's 30 weeks or about 7 to 8 months. I can almost guarantee that if you do some crazy diet and lose all of your weight within the next 3 months or so, you will probably have gained it all back right around the time that you should be hitting your goal weight. Do it the right way and then you only have to lose the weight once.

seranab
02-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Ah yeah!
I've lost weight quick plenty of times. Once when i was around 15, I went onto the 'noodles' diet - where I at nothing but noodles for dinner every night, I would have a small roll with tuna for lunch and that was it. By the end of the two weeks if I ever saw another noodle I would have killed somebody loooooooool! I lost 11lb in two weeks.
It wasnt sustainable at all - and so what happened? It all came back after (a). drinking water (b). eating how I had been before