Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default This and That

This: Does anyone know if you can download a program to a PDA that will help you track your food and give you nutitional information? I'm computer stupid and am seriously thinking about getting a PDA if it will help me to keep track of nutrition and my crazy schedule.

That: I picked up a magazine called Clean Eating and it has a really good lentil salad in it. Really has a lot of good recipes. Of course you have to pick and choose because some pretty carby, but other wise lots of healthy stuff. Also read the Woman's Day article on "Glory87", lots of food for thought.

Went to my first WLS support group last night. I was the only one that showed besides the leader. She was really nice and had her surgery three years ago. This group is sponsored my the Clinic where I had my surgery and isn't open to anyone else who had surgery somewhere else. That stinks!! I'm sure she is going to invite people from other groups next month. She told me that she met goal of 127 lbs "one" day and she is now around 180 lbs. There have been a lot of changes since she had her surgery. They didn't have her take a Vit. D supplement and she is now dealing with early osteoporosis. She has had trouble with kidney stones, mostly because she doesn't drink her water, but gets her protein in everyday. I keep hearing this repeated by people who are a few years out. She uses a protein supplement every morning to get her self started right. She uses Pure Protein from GNC. She is getting ready to go get some training from the Clinic as a group leader and she too thinks that they give great care, but really fall short on the nutrition aspect. So, she is going to mention it at the training. She also had heard of 3 Fat Chicks but have never been on here. Told her I've gotten more NUT info from here and OH than from the Clinic. By the way, did you all know that the 3 Fat Chicks have a book out? Saw it at abesbooks.com for $2.95.

Well enough of this and that! Hope you are all doing well.

Last edited by nanj; 02-20-2008 at 03:39 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Default Wow

They should open up the group to more. Maybe next time I can make the trip with you. Seems like opening it up would help, but surprised that more where not there.
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I used a program called Calorie King on my PDA. It had a very good format and was very useful for tracking my food/calories/exercise but I haven't used it in awhile as I'm not much of a journaler.
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #4  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

I have used Weight by Date by Quite Healthy for several years & it syncs with a PDA. It also is relatively inexpensive. (about $50 for both). The web site is www.weightbydate.com & you can try it before you buy it. I have tried others but this fits my needs best.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #5  

Default Thanks!

Whitelion: I put an ad on tradeo to see if there is a WLS support group in the Mrn. area. Got one response. She wants to join a local group. She is six years out.

RE PDA programs: thank you for both of the suggestions. I'm going to look into them.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

fitday.com has an online service for free and a PC for sale. I use the online version but at first it is a bit annoying. After you get all the food you normaly eat on there it's easier. I am sure the PC version is faster and more conveniant.

I am lucky to have a huge support group here in Boise, I just wish I didn't have to weed through the jerks to get to the support. I suppose the more people you have in one room, the higher % rate if schmucks, or the ratio of idiot to nice person changes too!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 02-21-2008 at 06:10 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #7  

Oh Ange: I like your attitude! Maybe Whitelion and I can get one started and hopefully someone who has a lot of experience will come and lead the darn thing!