South Beach Diet - Tuesday Chick Chat

View Full Version : Tuesday Chick Chat

02-19-2008, 06:33 AM
Sorry Cottage, I got to get moving !!!

Hi all… I’m going to attempt to answer people from yesterday.

Rubberduck, what part of florida do you live in? I grew up in Tampa/St. Pete/Gulfport area.

Cottage, Like I said, it’s a mixed blessing. While it hurts to see him move, I’ve already planned to declutter and move things into Joe’s room. As I’ve been going around the house past few days I’m thinking… LESS THEN HALF the dishes I do now (he eats three times as much as I do). Less bathroom mess, and oh yeah, no mess with video games 1!!!! Hehehehehee

Spirit: I pray things will work out for you. Working with the government is always a challenge! To me it’s worse than training for a marathon!

DAWN: How did DF like the house you found? Seems like everyone is moving!

TKGlen: I hope your feeling better and I hope your dad doesn’t truly have Alzheimers! That disease is terrible!

Femme: I hope the toe feels better! OUCH

CyndiM: Yes, thank you, I have tried more nutritious foods… actually that’s all he gets, but I have tried changing which brand I buy. Didn’t seem to help. Congratulations on the NSV!

Ruth: Sometimes saying no to something we really want is hard! A better puppy is on its way!!!!!

Schmoodle: Yes, my son has no choice but to pay his own rent! Mom can not nor will not afford it, nor do it if she could! He wants to cut the string, he has to pick up the purse!!! I hope your back is better!!!!!

Pacer: Nothing like the feeling of accomplishing a project! Enjoy the chair!

Gonna: Hope the eye is nothing serious!

Beach: Where are you? I live in Bloomfield/Canandaigua area!!! (Near Rochester).

Pam: The program works, if you work it… The good thing about this is any natural food you can grow, kill are SB friendly and most people should have these things in their fridge! My son’s friend stopped in before I started Sbing and asked Joe where the snacks were, he replied “I have ice cream” (his of course)…. She laughed, most people have “chips, cakes, sodas” she said, l…. he replied “I don’t eat that crap.”

Me: (Tuesday)…. I have the repair man coming to fix the dryer today right after work, so no curves (2 days in a row, plus weekend L)… I’m determined to walk the dog tonight. Dear son had a friend over for dinner last night.. I baked Chicken marinated in Old Bay (btw, highly recommended and SB friendly)… the kid ate 3 huge pieces (I’m talking HUGE!)… plus potatos. (Yes, I stayed away from them and opted for veggies).

02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
:) Thanks for starting us up, Loriann! Everyone should feel free to start up the daily thread, the early bird gets the worm!

I'm skipping Curves this morning, too, as I have an early hairdresser appointment. Then it's back home to do a few chores until I have to pick up Maggie. The rest of the day should be pretty uneventful, as I think the girls are pretty exhausted. They had a busy weekend, and yesterday was wild. :dizzy: They were both starting to droop after their tubbies last night, so I fed them an early supper and we just read books until their daddy got home to tuck them into bed at 7.

02-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Morning chicks, just a quick cluck-in as I'm trying to get the kids out the door, and have an early meeting as soon as they are gone. Today will just be about checking things off the list as I am going to New Mexico early Thursday morning and won't be back until Saturday night. It takes a week of planning just to be gone for a couple of days! They'll stay with my parents, but I have to coordinate transportation to Girl Scout meetings, birthday parties, etc., as I don't want my parents to have to be running everywhere. My back is fine today, thanks, just a normal first day of period backache.

LoriAnn, you must have some Marylander in you to be marinating things in Old Bay!
Have a great day cottage!
And everyone to follow! I'll pop back in later on today.

02-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Kudos to you, Loriann, for doing personals to everyone from yesterday. I never seem to have the time.

Cottage, take me along to your hairdresser, please. I had my last cut on January 10th and am starting to look due. Short haircuts are great but the shaggies show up fast.

Today's focus is going to be on healthy eating. I am a bit concerned over losing weight so fast since the operation - 15 pounds in less than four weeks.
Part of it is from hospital food but the rest is from nausea from pain. Today will be better and will start off with grapefruit and oatmeal. Wish me luck - and skill - and determination!

Hershey is extra cuddly the past few days. I wonder if she is relieved that we are not getting a puppy! :lol: She has turned into even more of a Velcro dog than she was. I can't even go for a pee without having a dog leaning against me. Too funny!

OK, Ruthie, go and DO that breakfast thing!

02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Ruth, I normally don't have time either! hahaha...

I'm sorry to hear your in pain... what kind of surgery did you have? I wish I had gotten sick this year to lose weight, but nope, lol... (I know, I'm weird... but when I get sick, I lose a LOT of weight!)

02-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Good morning. I'm feeling better this morning. Yeah, my great grandma had alzheimers. It was terrible. She lived to be 101 though. She could've kept going but the alzheimers is what did it to her. Me and my brother are just alittle concerned for him. He forgets sooo easily. And it's more of the short term stuff and some long term memory also but moreso the short term memory is going. I'm afraid to talk to him about it, he's very stubborn when it comes to his health. I did really bad this weekend. I think i've gained about 5 pounds. Its funny how it is sooooo hard to lose weight but you can put it back on in a blink of an eye. My daughter has to get tubes put in both her ears. Her surgery is scheduled for next Monday. I'm really hesitating only because I don't wanna see her in pain but I think about how much pain she's in now and how long she's been in pain (over a year). The ENT said her speech is delayed because of it. My poor princess. I have sooo much to do. I am exhausted. Had to take my dad to the airport at 4 this morning. Still have lots to do but don't wanna do them. DH has PTSD moments almost everyday and I can't stand it. It stresses me out. I am calling his counselor today and talking to him. He is getting worse and isn't getting any better with me. Someone here told me the motherhood is a very thankless and lonely job----it totally is.

Well, everyone have a good day (better than mine....please!).

02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
tkglenn, don't worry about the tubes. My DD had them and it was nothing to get them put in, and it was the best thing that we could have done. She had recurring strep throats, and other stuff before, but after the tubes, she was healthy as a horse.

02-19-2008, 09:44 AM
how long was she in pain after the surgery? How long did the surgery last?

02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Sorry about yesturday as it was a weird day all together

Good morning Loriann & Cottage

Schmoodle is your trip for business or R&R? Good luck with the planning stage

:dust: for you Ruth

Tk :hug:

Nothing to much going on here just hotta get my eating under control - I am eating on plan just eating alot of it :mad:.

Be back later...

02-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Good Morning to all my lovely chick friends! It is so stinking cold here today, I am so over winter and ready for spring!

Loriann It is hard letting kids go, I cried for days when my DS went to college and he still isn't "moved" out yet. You will adjust though and enjoy the peacefullness of it all, trust me!

Cottage Enjoy the hairdresser, sometimes a fresh cut makes you feel better than a workout!

Schmoodle Good luck getting everything lined out today!

Ruth I think you are doing amazing, you are a strong woman and I know you will get both your eating and your knee lined out in no time!

TK :hug: for you, you seem to be going through alot. I know it is hard to see our babies suffer even if you know it is better for them in the long run. You to are strong and I know you will do well with everything put in front of you. We are always here for you to unload on!

Me Just another busy day, I actually think I may mind my desk by the end of the day :crossed: Later ladies!

02-19-2008, 09:55 AM
tK.... My son had tubes put in, not only did it clear up the infections, but it also helped his hearing! AND balance! Dont' worry, pain will be minimal or nill!

02-19-2008, 10:02 AM
how long did surgery last to get the tubes put in?

02-19-2008, 10:07 AM
they said that she'll have a sore throat for about 7-10 days after the surgery. they are taking the adenoid out too.

02-19-2008, 10:08 AM
She'll be alright, a sore throat compared to the infections she's been having? Be strong mom!!!!!!!!!

02-19-2008, 10:12 AM
My DD had adenoids out at the same time as the tubes. I think she stayed in the hospital one night and she was basically fine the next day. I don't remember exactly, but the surgery was very short, I'd say a half hour or less. I was amazed at how fast she bounced back. She had terrible sleep apnea too, and no appetite, and that went away and once she started sleeping well she was a completely different kid. That was 17 years ago, and now I think they do the tubes outpatient, but I don't know about the adenoids. I guess she may have to stay overnight. I really think you'll be glad you did it.

Kelly J
02-19-2008, 10:14 AM
TK - my son (who is 2) just had tubes put in on Feb 7th. He went into surgery at 8am and was up and running around the hospital room by 10:30am. The surgery lasted about an hour then when he got brought back to the room I cuddled him for a bit, then he was up and ready to get moving! We had to stick around until just about noon so they could monitor him but he was ready to go way before that.
My daughter had her's done when she was about 3 1/2 and we had pretty much the same experience with her. She had part of her adenoids out too.
I don't think either one of them had much pain afterwards although they did give them tylenol right after the surgery and then I gave them another dose once we were home (just in case). By the next day they were definitely pain-free.
DD had mild hearing loss before surgery and it was amazing how quickly her hearing came back and her speech improved. Her sleep & moodiness improved drastically, too. It's still too early to tell with DS, but I expect his speech to catch up very quickly now.

**edited to add:
It took me so long to write that, that you had more posts! DD did have a sore throat for about a day b/c of the adenoid removal and had to eat soft foods for a day or two. The kept her a little longer b/c of the chance of bleeding but we were home before bedtime the same day.

Hope everything goes as smoothly for you & dd!

02-19-2008, 10:15 AM
yeah, i know i'll be glad to have it done. I'm tired of going to the doctor every two weeks just to find out her ear infections are still there and worse. I know it'll be better in the long run. I just don't know how long the surgery will last and if she'll have to stay overnight. i'm worried and feel her pain afterwards. Kids are so strong. They are soo much stronger then me.

02-19-2008, 10:18 AM
kelly-yeah, the doctor said that she's already had hearing loss because of how long it's been and how delayed she is in her speech. But he did say that she will catch up extremely quick and will be back to a normal child with her speech.

02-19-2008, 10:25 AM
HELP! Cyle brought in brownies! Now, I can steer clear of the weekly donuts... but brownies are a weekness and these look ggggooooddd! I told him to bring them downstairs with him, but he didn't, they are in the next room and I'm the only one up here most of the day! YIKES!

02-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Yummy brownies!!! Eeeeeeeewwwww bad brownies. Keep distracted. Don't think of them.

02-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Morning. I was way off plan this weekend but I amback on today. Actually I wasn't way off Iate on plan but v-day candy did me in and the party All they had was carbs and barbque. Gosh it wasn't even good so it wasn't worth it. I did eat mostly salad and a little of the potatoe I left the corn on the plate and stayed away fromt he cookies and brownies. I did drink two glasses of sweet tea because the water tasted gross and I don't do boxed wine(LOL) and beer is GROSS!!! and then the next day it was just a spiral downhill from there.

BUT the scale reads 2 pounds less today? I think it is lying again. LOL

Back on track today!!!


02-19-2008, 11:24 AM
GGRRR. Mark just came into my office with a bag full of candybars! I told him to leave! That he and Cyle have a death wish!

02-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Good morning, everyone! Things are going well here. Just got out of class and I have a ton of homework to get done before I leave on Thursday. Not fun. Anywho. Since I'm back at work, I really need to be out in the field. See you all later!!

02-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Good morning everyone.
Ruth-losing weight from being nauseated and in pain isn't fun, but it happens. Remember that your body needs protein and proper vitamins & trace elements to heal. We use more protein for wound healing. Your metabolic rate may be increased, even though your activity might be decreased. This can be from your body's healing processes and actually from the pain. Those might explain some of the weight loss. Are you able to get up and fix yourself meals or are you hurting so much that you are eating less than you should because it causes more pain to stand and fix meals??? Make sure you let others help you. Best wishes for quicker healing, no pain and feeling better.

02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi everyone! Been too long since I've checked in on the daily chat. Things are dragging along here. Got my house up on the market, me & the hubby are separating... kiddos are off from school this week and of course they're always bored to death being home!

Hope everybody's having a decent Tuesday!!

02-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Liamy good luck to you and your family :hug:

I tried this high intensity treadmil workout on my lunch break and boy was it high intense.

Just wanted to check in and say good afternoon to everyone

02-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Lorianne - I grew up in Tampa myself. Graduated from University of Tampa in 1985. I've got Old Bay. I'll have to try that next week.

tk - My son had tubes put in and his adenoids out when he was around 3. It didn't take very long and he was released before noon. I remember he had a little bit of nausea for a day but I don't know if it was from swollowing blood or from the medicine. His throat was sore but not for very long and he did fine with soft foods. It was exactly what he needed. He has rarely had an ear infection since and his hearing is now normal. We used ear bands and custom ear plugs to allow him to take swimming lessons in the summer until the ear tubes fell out.

Ruth - I'm glad you are starting to feel better. :hug:

Me - Nothing major going on today with work.

02-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi all! Quickie for me today. I can't seem to get everything together to check in in the morning. It's either do the exercise or go on-line, and I'm sure you can all guess which I've been choosing...

Ruth, Tom's uncle just had surgery for prostate cancer and they told him he'd need to eat 6,000 calories a day to maintain his weight because of all of the energy his body would be using to heal from the surgery! He was overweight to begin with and of course he couldn't eat 6,000 calories, so he did lose a lot of weight in the couple weeks right after the surgery. Your body is working hard! I'd say it's more important to feed what you feel you need than to try to get a certain amount in every day. Focus on your proteins and nutrient-rich fruits and veggies!

Hugs to everyone else!

I've been straying a bit and am trying to pull things back together today but am struggling. Always a battle!


02-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Just a quick checkin before I hit the treadmil & watch th biggest loser. I'm feeling a bit tired but I am hoping a lil walk on the treadmil will change that.

Will try & check in before bed

02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Today I learned a lesson I won't forget soon. Apparently for some people even one very careful serving of sugar free chocolate is too much. Now I'll go curl up in a ball again :(