Weight Loss Support - My favorite diet friendly snack is....

bruniQ
02-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Wether's sugar free hard candy (caramel flavor)

Pop Secret butter light

What's yours?

best,
b

SoulBliss
02-18-2008, 11:18 PM
50-100 calories of organic dark chocolate and 50-100 calories of organic almonds.

mxgirl737
02-18-2008, 11:19 PM
i really love the new pringles wheat sticks...in pizza flavor. 90 calories for a good size serving...and the ingredients aren't all too bad either. and they taste really, really good!!!

bruniQ
02-18-2008, 11:23 PM
mmmm, they sound yummy -- I'm going to look for those :-)

best,
b

bruniQ
02-18-2008, 11:24 PM
oh -- wish I loved dark chocolate -- just the word chocolate makes my mouth water heeheeee :-)

any recommendations for milk chocolate flavor?

thanks,
best,
b

vixjean
02-18-2008, 11:25 PM
90 calories, special k bars!

bruniQ
02-18-2008, 11:28 PM
hi vixjean -- what flavors?

thanks,
b

Glory87
02-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Everday, I eat the same snacks:

Morning -
berries

Afternoon -
Tangelo
cut up veggies (grape tomatoes, baby carrots, pepper strips, sugar snap peas)

I also like:
Starbucks tall skinny mocha
Nectar bars (especially dark chocolate walnut)
Soy chips
Rice cakes

vixjean
02-19-2008, 12:15 AM
i think they are all 90 calories, but the blueberry is the BEST one, and peach is okay too

PhotoChick
02-19-2008, 12:25 AM
sunflower seeds
apple (lately I've been hooked on the Jazz apples - really yummy)
hummus (been craving it lately, w/ celery sticks)
peanut butter

trekkiegirl
02-19-2008, 12:52 AM
100-cal pack Hostess (mostly blueberry)
Laughing Cow cheese wedges (sometimes with 5-6 Town House crackers for that salt fix)
Seedless oranges or clementines
Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich

PhotoChick
02-19-2008, 12:56 AM
clementines
Oh yummy. I went through 4 boxes of clementines this holiday season. Now they're up to $10 a box again, so I haven't bought any recently. But wow ... I ate a lot of them in Dec and January! :)

Catmint
02-19-2008, 08:30 AM
I agree with the hummus and the Starbucks. Sadly, hummus is not part of my current diet, but I cheat a little and get a tall skinny latte once in awhile from Starbucks. I have my own espresso machine and milk steamer, but sometimes I would rather have someone else go through the trouble of making it!

jellybelly06
02-19-2008, 08:35 AM
My favorite snacks that I eat every day are: 1 apple (johnny golds are my current favorits) and 2 black cherry fat free yogurts. YUM! Every day for over a year! I just love the yogurt, it's good for me and I feel like I get a treat 2ce a day! Jelly

Zen Pharmacy
02-19-2008, 08:37 AM
I don't want to sound too much like the commercial, but I'm a big fan of the Yoplait thick and creamy light yogurts. Especially the key lime pie flavor.

missingmyerica
02-19-2008, 08:42 AM
ff plain yogurt with frozen berries, a sprinkle of fiber one cereal and a drizzle of honey.

And.....of course, the love of my life.....a sweet potato!;)

3Beans
02-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Wasa sourdough crispbread with laughing cow

Apple slices and a dip of 1/2 tbsp. PB and 1/4 cup pumpkin puree w/cinnamon and stevia

Veggies with hummus or yogurt dip (just buy your favorite dip mix and substitute low fat or fat free plain yogurt for the sour cream)

Yogurt or cottage cheese with a sprinkle of Kashi GoLean

'Banana split' - banana sliced lengthwise with PB and greek yogurt, maybe a sprinkle of sugar free cocoa

Wasabi rice crackers with cottage cheese

Brown rice cake with fruit spread/jam

Flavored tea and two small ginger snaps

bargoo
02-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I always have Laughing Cow Light in my refrigerator.35 calories.

2beautiful2Bfat
02-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Glenny's marshmallow treats

ThePrettyOne
02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Cracker Barrel 2% Cheddar Cheese snack sticks (at just 90 cals, sometimes I can even have 2!). Any 100 cal pack I can get my hands on.

I got braces (STb Linguals, tiny ones on the inside of my teeth) last month, so many snacks I used to love like apples and popcorn, or ANTYHING remotely crunchy or chewy, are no longer allowed :(

didjaever
02-19-2008, 10:23 AM
JELLO...now that I just realized last night that a serving with two table spoons of lite cool whip is only 30 calories... All this time, something made me think it was more calories.... AND anything that comes in 100 calorie packs... these things are GREAT... I just found Doritos yesterday and really like ht Oreo cookies.

Catmint
02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Yup, Jello for me too. The sugar-free little 1/2 cup servings that are already made for you. They're in the refrigerated section.

Ironic, really, because I've been on a Jello strike for years ever since I found out what it's made of. I finally gritted my teeth a couple months ago and tried one, and it's good when you're hungry. (I guess if you're hungry enough to eat a horse, the logical thing to do is grab some Jello! LOL)

PhotoChick
02-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Jello is not made from horses hooves. That's an urban legend. Gelatin is made from the collagen in bones and skin - but it's the bones and skin of animals that have already been slaughtered for meat, primarily cows and pigs.

It's the same thing that happens when you boil a chicken for soup or stew and you get the layer of gelatinous stuff on the top when it cools. That's just the collagen that has boiled out of the bones.

tleef
02-19-2008, 10:35 AM
I love a Source Apple Cinnamon yogurt (35 calories) and a Tbsp of dry roasted peanuts. I'm a big fan of the sweet and salty together so this is a great treat for me. I also love strawberries and a part-skim mozza string cheese.

Cheers,
Tamara

angeline
02-19-2008, 10:35 AM
tootsie pops = 60 calories...and they take a loooooong time to eat, if you don't bite 'em.

i take one to the movie theatre instead of movie theatre popcorn

i buy a big box at costco.

souvenirdarling
02-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Part Skim Mozarella Cheese Strings (60 cals)
Apple microwaved with cinnamon
Yougurt cups (70 cals)
Chocolate Pudding Cups (90 cals)
Carrots and Hummus

peachcake
02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
String cheese and jello cake.
It has diet sprite cake, diet jello and fat free cool whip. Yum.

Aldebaran
02-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Wow, you have some delicious treats over there... My best friend, who was in a dorm with some American students, told me that American food is really unbelievably tasty! So is German food, I wonder whether that has anything to do with the obesity problems in both countries :)

Anyway, my favourite snack would be a mixed nuts bar with "honey". It's actually some simple sugars (monosaccharides, probably regular sugar as well) that hold the nuts together and add the sweet taste. It's like a chocolate bar, almost as caloric too, but with much healthier fats and without the unnececery additives.

I also like the Corny muesli bars, especially the chocolate coated ones, although they're full of Es.

I adore a certain yogurt from Mueller, it's called Yogurt with a Corner, vanilla flavoured, with white and brown mini chocolate balls (it's some blown up cereal covered with chocolate). They come separately in the corner, and it's very much fun pouring them in and focusing on every delicious bite!

One of my favourite salty snacks is tomatoes, cut in thick slices, with a thin slice of mozzarella on top and sprinkled with capers. YUM! Very low cal. You can have a ton of it!

And I just thought of another one I could use! Soup from a cube with an egg beaten in! How come didn't I think of that before! It's very low cal, and a cooked egg has a negative caloric value, so this is the perfect diet snack!

suitejudyblueeyes
02-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Ryvita rye crispbread with natural peanut butter...
3 dried apricots w/ 1/2oz almonds...
Plain lf yogurt with a toss of berries and museli...
a piece of fruit and an ounce of cheese...
a hardboiled egg and a piece of fruit or a few crackers...

all sorts of good stuff, I just try to get a protein in at each snack.

LittleMoonRabbit
02-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Fat free, reduced sugar yogurt sprinkled with berries and Kashi GoLean crunch... it's a really healthy version of a parfait. I always need to finish dinner with a little desert, and that's the perfect ending to mine.

horsey
02-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Starbucks Green Tea Latte, lowfat popcorn, apple, skinny cow cheese & wasa bread, dark chocolate, almonds

2old2quit
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Jello is not made from horses hooves. That's an urban legend. Gelatin is made from the collagen in bones and skin - but it's the bones and skin of animals that have already been slaughtered for meat, primarily cows and pigs.

It's the same thing that happens when you boil a chicken for soup or stew and you get the layer of gelatinous stuff on the top when it cools. That's just the collagen that has boiled out of the bones.

I read this and almost, ALMOST, peed my pants!:carrot:

I've never read all the facts as you have stated them & it just struck me as funny, is all.
I'll never look at Jello the same again.

You made my day!! Thank you.................

mandalinn82
02-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Clementines, berries, or other fruits
Airpopped popcorn
Single-serving packages of beef jerky or south beach snack bars, if I'm on the run
Sliced veggies with dip

nelie
02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Fruit (all types, pineapple, apples, oranges, bananas, plums, peaches, etc)
Veggies (carrots, celery, snap peas, other)
Baked potato or sweet potato
Dark dark chocolate (70% or more)
Soy yogurt with frozen berries and maybe some cereal mixed in
One serving (weigh on scale) of bunny grahams
Celery and carrots
A piece of whole grain bread with 1tbsp of peanut butter (peanut butter weighed)

My latest snack is baby food. I actually haven't tried it yet but I did buy some and have them at work just in case. I bought natural baby food with no added ingredients. I have sweet potatoes, butternut squash, applesauce, pears, and other fruits. I also have some cinnamon that I can add to the various flavors as well.

3Beans
02-19-2008, 01:13 PM
And I just thought of another one I could use! Soup from a cube with an egg beaten in! How come didn't I think of that before! It's very low cal, and a cooked egg has a negative caloric value, so this is the perfect diet snack!

Wait, what? How so?

PhotoChick
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
a cooked egg has a negative caloric value
Nooo ... it doesn't. :)

There are no foods that have negative calories. The whole mind game that's played with "more calories to digest it than to eat it" is just that - a mind game.

If you are going to look at food that way, then you need to evaluate all of your calorie intake in terms of the *net* calories after digestion. I mean you could say that a 600 calorie cheeseburger take 250 calories to digest, so you're only really eating 350 calories, right? :) Or that the Snicker's bar you just ate will require 100 calories to digest so it's really only a 140 calorie treat?

Playing with the numbers like this is just fooling yourself in the long run. Count the calories that you put in your mouth and you'll do fine! :)

suesully
02-19-2008, 01:22 PM

Hmmm...kinda ruined that little colorful jiggly cup of Jello for me! :p

Favorite snack is either one of those little LF cottage cheese cups or some Fage Greek yogurt & a few berries or raw veggies. :)

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
hi glory97 -- CONGRATULATIONS on being on maintenance over 2 years already. I read your story and can relate on so many levels! CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN ON YOUR GLORIOUS ACHIEVEMENT!

best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:23 PM
hi trekkiegirl,
mmmm,mmmm, would love to find those skinny cow ice cream sandwiches!

best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
hi photochick,

yep, its a plus that it takes a while to eat sunflower seeds heeheeee!

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
hi jelly bean,

yep, one of my favorite yogurts is banana creme -- delish!

best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
hi missingmyerica,

ummmm, something crunchy on yogurt -- sounds good!

best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:28 PM
hi zen,

can't wait to find some of those at my supermarket!

thanks,
best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:29 PM
hi 3beans,

I've never had apple with peanut butter -- definitely going to try that one!

Thanks!

best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:31 PM
hi 2beautiful2bfat -- glenny's marshmallow treats??? WOW - sounds awesome.

Are they sugar free?

Thanks,
best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:32 PM
hi prettyone,

Cheddar light sounds like a nice alternative to mozz!

Thanks!

best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:33 PM
hi didjaever,

Sometimes I use fat free cool whip as an ice cream alternative!

Way to go US!

best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:34 PM
hi angeline, that's a great idea for the movies -- also, pistachios or peanuts!

best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:36 PM
hi tleef - I haven't seen that yogurt at my grocer's - but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for it!

Thanks,
best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:37 PM
hi souvenirdarling -- apple and cinnamon in the microwave -- sounds like a great faux apple pie!

Thanks,
best,
b

3Beans
02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Bruni, slow down! :dizzy: You can respond to multiple members in one post.

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:44 PM
hi littlemoonrabbit,
I love the idea of kashi crunch over yogurt!

thanks,
best,
b

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
lol 3beans,

I did that and then somehow lost the page! That's why I decided to respond to everyone individually. But, sheesh, it is time consuming.

thanks,
best,
b

SoulBliss
02-19-2008, 01:52 PM
BruniQ, I love your enthusiasm! ;)

I would love to see you join the next "Biggest Loser Challenge" on this site (in several weeks, after the current one is over), as it is nice to have people like you who take time to respond to people individually. :hug:

ThePrettyOne
02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
:lol: I am literally laughing out loud. And I agree, It's nice to see someone who takes the time to actually read all the replys in a thread and acknowledge everyone! :) I'm guilty of "skimming" sometimes :o

The cheddar is great.....I have a "salt tooth" and it always hits the spot :)

bruniQ
02-19-2008, 04:29 PM
:Dsoulbliss and thepretty one:

:thanks:

soulbliss: tell me more about the next biggest loser challenge:)

:grouphug:

best,
b

DaisyNicole
02-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Anyone have any good ideas about what to top rice cakes with? (oh yeah... that ISN'T peanutbutter?)

:p

Catmint
02-19-2008, 08:44 PM

I know it's not made out of horse hooves any more but it used to be. Now it's the pig & cow hooves, hides, bones, and connective tissues. I'd rather have horse hooves, thank you very much. :D

Catmint
02-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Anyone have any good ideas about what to top rice cakes with? (oh yeah... that ISN'T peanutbutter?)

:p

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray is a good one.

Aldebaran
02-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Photochick, although I understand what you mean, I still think that it can be useful to know these things. There are a few severe diets that use the advantage of such foods, like the famous cabbage soup diet, or the eggs and oranges diet... But in our cases I guess it really doesn't matter.

I remembered another fantastic dish: cellery with a mix of mascarpone and gorgonzola, yum yum. Easy on the cheeses, of course.

PhotoChick
02-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeahbbut...

HOOVES. Jello (and gelatin) is not made with hooves. :) Bones and connective tissue, yes. Hooves, no. :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
RICE CAKES (60 C's) ~ with chocolate or hazelnut spread; honey; light cheese spread; marshmallow spread (just watch the amount, hun); but my favorite are still Caramel with Peanut Butter!

CELERY BOATS ~ low-fat/light cheese spreads

VEGGIE STICKS ~ with low-fat dip

CUP-A-SOUPS ~ all kinds only 60 - 90 C's each (just add boiling water)

LEMON PUDDING CUPS ~ only 60 C's; Chocolate Fudge ~ 90 C's

JELLO ~ still love it no matter what it's made of ~ lol!

FRUIT PARFAITS ~ small size (pudding cup size)

CHEDDAR ~ always takes hunger pangs away

'SOURCE YOGURTS' ~ only 35 C's each; no fat; no sugar; and so nice to dip apple slices in

ANY AND ALL FRUIT ...

:hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

gailr42
02-19-2008, 09:45 PM
I like celery and carrot sticks with toasted pita wedges dipped in hummus or roasted red pepper dip, both of which I make myself with my stick blender. Probably takes about five minutes, including the time it takes to put the stick in the dishwasher:lol:.

Apples. Dry mini shredded wheat - sounds awful, but for sme reason I like it. Sometimes raw sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, but they are very high calorie, so measuring is required.