100 lb. Club - Breakfast on the Go? Suggestions

View Full Version : Breakfast on the Go? Suggestions

whitlockdj
02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I dont usually have time to fix a good healthy breakfast for myself when I am leaving out in the morning.. I usually grab a breakfast bar or a pack of oatmeal to eat at work..but I'm usually still hungry. Whats a good filling breakfast to eat when you dont have the time to cook in the mornings?..maybe I should grab more than on thing..suggestions suggestions!?

SunshineRunner
02-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I have a banana and a slim fast :)

PhotoChick
02-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I've mentioned this in another tread, but I often eat non-breakfast foods at breakfast.

A few slices of deli turkey or chicken folded in a single slice of multi grain bread has protein and carbs and keeps me going for a while. Add a banana or other piece of fruit and it's a great quick breakfast.

bigtxmomma
02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Sounds like you might want something higher in protein? Maybe prepare something over the weekend? I had a friend who used to eat sliced chicken for breakfast (she was rebelling against the idea of a sugary, high carb bfast), and she would cook it on Sundays to have for the whole week.

I remember one idea from the South Beach book -- make muffin-sized mini quiches (with just eggs, veggies, cheese etc) for the week and freeze them. That's what I'd probably do if I was pressed for time in the morning. But I just scramble eggs.

Heather
02-18-2008, 11:29 PM
hardboiled egg for protein!
Or yogurt -- maybe with some cereal tossed in?

Azure
02-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Lately I've been having 2 scoops of Zero Carb Isopure whey protein in "cookies and cream" flavor with 1 cup unflavored soy milk and 4 oz of water. Shake it up and it's yummy AND filling: 310 calories, 57g protein, 7g fat, 6g carbs. It's easy to throw together and drink on your way to wherever. I use it on Mon, Wed and Fri mornings when I have an early class or after a workout for some quick protein.

PhotoChick
02-19-2008, 01:21 AM
310 calories, 57g protein, 7g fat, 6g carbs.
Good GRIEF. 57g protein! I gotta get me some of that for after the gym.

Azure
02-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Good GRIEF. 57g protein! I gotta get me some of that for after the gym.

Hehe...the diet advice I'm currently following suggests getting about 1g of protein per pound of body weight to maintain muscle and support repair of muscle while losing weight in a calorie deficit :) So, with about 160g of protein to get a day, sometimes one of these little shakes is just what I need! It's 25g protein per scoop--and 2 scoops makes a tasty, protein-rich shake!

Purplefirefly
02-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Azure--so that would mean I need 226 g of protein every day? I don't know how on earth that would be possible!

2beautiful2Bfat
02-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm going to look into these shakes!! Do they taste good for real?
what about a cheese string? I also like the quiche idea

evilwomaniamshe
02-19-2008, 09:38 AM
My portable is a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat and a banana

bluex
02-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I would def up the protein in the morning. If you have a bar, make sure the bar is low in carb and high in protein. You can find them. I have some almond milk, a string cheese and an atkins bar that is full of protein and I am good to go for about 4 hours.

barbygirl43
02-19-2008, 11:40 AM
When I have days where I'm running late I usually will split my breakfast into two segments. I will drink a slimfast shake at home or eat a harboiled egg, a slice of toast with some PB on it or a bowl of oatmeal—sometimes with 1 TBS of PB in it. Then when I get to work I eat a grapefruit, boiled egg, piece of toast with PB on it (just not the same as what I had a home.)
Then I'll still have my midmorning snack between 10-10:30 of fruit, yogurt, 100 cal. snack pack, etc.

Botzz
02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
If I am looking for something fast and decently filling, I will grab a banana and put 1 tbs of peanut butter on it and have some green tea with it and its usually enough.

Jasmine31
02-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Yogurt and a fruit.

LittleMoonRabbit
02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
hardboiled egg and slimfast is my fave for "on the go" breakfast

Heather
02-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Hehe...the diet advice I'm currently following suggests getting about 1g of protein per pound of body weight to maintain muscle and support repair of muscle while losing weight in a calorie deficit :)

I'm not an expert, but I think I've heard that formula for grams of protein per KG of body weight, not pound of body weight.... but I admit I'm not certain. It just sounds like that's a lot of protein

traci in training
02-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Yep, I've heard it per Kg, too. Along with 30 mls of water per kg. Get out yer measurin' cups, goils!

Actually, I have a friend who is a nutritionist and she says each serving of whatever should have net 5 grams health. She adds fiber to protein and subtracts fat. So a Fiber one bar is 9 g fiber + 2 g protein - 4 g fat = 7 grams of health. Doesn't really answer the "how much protein" question, but I think it's a good way to determine if something is worth spending my calories on.

I never have time in the morning - out the door by 6:10am for classes - so I eat all morning. Fiber one bar on the way to class, yogurt at break, piece of fruit at the next break, handful of almonds on the way home to get me to lunch at 1:15. Coffee poured generously over the whole thing. :-)

aerotigergirl
02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
I often boil eggs in advance for breakfast... Last night I boiled 6, and that will give me breakfast for the next 3 days. And it's nice to have them handy, in case I want egg in a salad or something.

lucky
02-19-2008, 09:47 PM
I make things like whole wheat banana muffins, whole wheat blueberry pancakes, and individual portion sized quiche on the weekends and then stick them in the freezer. I can pop them in the microwave at home or at work - and they make great on the go snacks too.

I find that I usually have time to make breakfast but I'm usually running too far behind to actually sit down at home and eat it. When that is the case and I'm not going straight to the office I'll scramble a few egg whites with some veggies and roll it all up with a little cheese in a tortilla. Then, I'll roll that up in some waxed paper and it is perfect for a mess free breakfast in the car.

I do try to plan in advance what I'll be having for breakfast which saves a temendous amount of time during hectic mornings. But, for those days that I don't plan I always have SOMETHING on hand that's easy to grab and go...yogurt sprinkled with wheat germ and a handful of almonds or 1/2 a bagel with a piece of fruit.

And in a real pinch, think outside the box...there is no reason a PB&J or a turkey sandwich can't be eaten for breakfast!

Chysmom
02-21-2008, 03:07 AM
I am just starting the South Beach Diet and I have to agree that the Quiche cups are awesome. I make enough on the weekend while I am off work to get me and the hubby through the week. We do alternate with eggs and bacon a couple days, but these are delicious! Protein will definitely fill you up longer, have you tried Special K's Protein water? You can buy the powder and add it to a bottle of water (like Crystal Lite). This is also a quick fix for me on the go to help me feel full. Lastly, if you are eating a lot of carbs for breakfast consider adding some fiber. Hope this helps!

Lyn2007
02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Something I always liked when I had to get up and get going in the morning is a cup of cream of wheat. I would make it with water, then add a splash of skim milk to thin it to drinking consistency, and a bit of brown sugar. I just set it in the cupholder and drank it on the way to work.

starofsorrow
02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Most of the time, I usually grab a fruit and perhaps a bagel to go...but that was before I went on the LAWL program, so I have to figure out what changes to make. I'll probably keep the fruit, but grab a different kind of starch that's higher in fiber....hrm.

justdoit37
02-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I love Special K Vanilla Almond cereal. It is my staple breakfast. I have an apple as a mid morning snack.

whitlockdj
02-21-2008, 02:35 PM
wow. thanx you guys for the good advice and i'll surely try your suggestions. wow at the 57g protein shake! that actually filling..shakes don't usually do the job because i'll be hungry an hour or two later, but its worth a shot..seems like (from suggestions) i should eat more protein for breakfast, now i eat light if anything at all...thanks u guys, and feel free to keep them coming..im getting some good ideas!

PJS145
02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I have started to make my own "McMuffins" the night before. Toast a Mike's light whole grain english muffin (I spritz it first with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray). Scramble one egg-throw in a bit of lf cheese if you like. The trick is to try to keep the scrambled egg all in one piece. Place the egg on the muffin with 2 slices canadian bacon. Wrap it up and pop it in the microwave at work the next morning-yum! Much better than a trip through Micky D's!

starofsorrow
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
That sounds delicious, PJ! I'll have to keep that in mind...though I hate bacon. DO you think a little extra cheese would be good? Like cheese in the egg, and a slice on the muffin itself?

PJS145
02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
I think that would work-or you could probably use any deli meat, too, that sounds good to you.

Beverlyjoy
02-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Once in a while - I'll stuff a half of a ww pita with lite cheese & ham and tomato and it works on the run. You could put a couple of cooked eggs whites in there too.

Thanks...these are great ideas!

starofsorrow
02-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Sounds great! I'll definitely have to try them out, too. =)

pamatga
02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
In fact, it is almost my favorite meal of the day! I agree, that anything is fair game--including PB&J sandwiches, why not? If you were stranded on a deserted island and you still had that in your backpack, would you care?

Another idea which I picked up from one of my former weight lose clubs I belonged to ages ago was eating FISH! Actually, there are a lot of European countries that routinely eat fish for breakfast! I remember at the time, this is just too weird but actually once I got over that obstacle (always the mental ones are the hardest to let go) I liked it.

I love the McMuffin "wannabe". Now, think that with fish for Lenten Friday.

Woo hoo!!:carrot:

Rhighlan86
02-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Personally, I drink MuscleMilk for breakfast. You can mix it with either water or milk, I drink it with water and it is absolutely yummy. My personal favorites are Cookies N Cream or Mocha Joe. I split it in half and only use one scoop for less calories and it still tastes great, or you can get muscle milk lite for the same effect. I think it's great though because it's 34grams of protein for 2 scoops and 300 calories. Or the light is 195 calories and 25 grams of protein. If you want to try them first before buying a huge thing of powder they sell the single containers already mixed at gnc. That way you can see what flavor you like and if you like the product. Also if you try it and don't like it GNC has a great return policy, you can take it back even if you have opened it! :D

Here's the info
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134214&cp=2475610.2475611&pg=3&parentPage=family

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2557385&cp=2475610.2475612&parentPage=family