Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Default Binge Free Challenge ~ Feb 18 - Feb 24

Hi chickies!! Welcome to the binge free challenge!! You can come in here and post your weekly successes and struggles and keep track of your binge free days. You can also vent about anything and everything you feel like getting out. This is a positive thread, so I have to enforce the "be careful about being too negative" rule. We are here to share our feelings and to encourage and inspire each other. We are strong chicks and I KNOW we all can do this!! And we don't have to do it alone, we have each other to get us through the rough times.

ALL chicks are welcome -- no one is excluded! If you are trying to lose weight, not trying, maintaining, recovering from an eating disorder, in the midst of one, or have ANY kind of problem with food, we would love to have you join us!!

If anyone has any questions or concerns, or you just need to talk privately, don't hestitate to PM me.

Let's have an awesome week!!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

What a shocking day - or rather, evening. Over 5000 calories today - 3600 eaten fast, sneakily and shamefully.

Can this be the last binge, seriously - please?!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #3  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Heather--I know how you feel. I've been bingeing for about 2 weeks straight. Maybe longer I don't know. It's been a blur. Still working on getting a binge free day.

I need to dedicate myself to be more of a presence on this forum because I always find it helpful. I got my Intuitive Eating book and haven't had a chance to really read any of it. Working on it. Geneen is on the way because I see they have charged my card.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #4  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Good morning, Everyone - it's good to see you here, ready to start another binge-free week.

Heather - yes, this can be the last binge! I see by your ticker that you have already come so incredibly far - CONGRATULATIONS! Just keep on going. Even if you do fall off the wagon, as you recently did, it's important to just climb back on. But then, you know that, don't you?

Shay - glad to see you this morning. Just keep trying, my friend. The time will come when it will feel "right" to start getting serious about eating right. You will know when that time is here for you. Keep checking in with us - we will do what we can to inspire you.

Well, I had a bit of a blip last Saturday. I went to the supermarket, intending to buy groceries, and while there could find nothing that interested me - except the bulk candy aisle. So I dipped into each bin and bought a relatively small collection of assorted candies and... had that for dinner! Truly, I don't know what the heck came over me.

But it also wasn't as bad as it could have been. Firstly, the bag of candies was much, much smaller than it would have been in the past. Secondly, I did not start in on them in the car on my drive home from the market. Thirdly, I did not sit in front of the TV and scarf them down. Fourthly, I did not eat a bag of candy and then follow it up with a full-course dinner. So all of that is a step in the right direction.

I am not justifying my behavior, though. I know it was the wrong set of decisions to have made around food. Still, I can't say that I felt/feel altogether bad about it.

On my way home from the market that day (I live in a rural community and have about a 30 min drive home), I had plenty of time to reflect on having bought "garbage" for dinner. I remembered that when I was a kid, Dad was home for dinner pretty much every night and Mom cooked dinners essentially to please him. Once in a blue moon, Dad had meetings or whatever, and wasn't going to be home for supper. That's when Mom went nuts with the dinner thing: One time she took us all to the supermarket and told us to pick out the biggest most delicious looking candy bar that looked good to us, and just have it for dinner. Another time she created a bizarre concoction where she lined the bottom of a casserole dish with uncooked bacon strips, followed by a layer of canned pear slices, followed by some sort of yellow cake batter - and baked the whole thing in the oven till it the bacon was crisp and the cake was done. She served this thing with a vanilla sauce and called it dinner. It was absolutely delicious, and of course, never to be repeated. Another time she made "cherry soup" (don't ask me how) with Farina pudding...

So those were special, oddball treats for when my Dad wasn't coming home for dinner. It was also her way of giving herself permission to either not cook at all, or get creative in the kitchen in a very different sort of way. Kind of like throwing paint at a canvass and calling it art, dontcha think?

Fast forward to 2/16/2008 - my BF had been here for the past nearly 2 weeks and I'd been cooking dinner for us each of those nights. Last Saturday he had someplace else to go and wasn't going to be home for supper. So I guess my Mom's "go nuts" button got pushed and I suddenly convinced myself that eating nothing but candy was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. There's something just a little disturbing about seeing Tom in the "Daddy not coming home" role, and yet - there it is... Truth is, while I was eating the candy, I enjoyed every single piece of it. When it stopped tasting good, I threw the rest in the trash (there wasn't much left). Afterwards, of course, I was tripping on sugar and chocolate and felt totally crappy - but also a little proud of myself for noticing that and being aware that it really wasn't something I wanted to repeat in a hurry.

So yesterday, Sunday, was the "day after" and also my birthday. I woke up sick to my stomach and hung over from all the sugar. Poor Tom - he just couldn't do anything right for me yesterday morning, even though he tried. It wasn't till a few hours later, after I've had a chance to put some decent wholesome food in my stomach, that I began to feel myself again - and from then on really enjoyed my birthday. Some friends of ours had invited us to go to a Gospel concert (one of their daughters was in it) yesterday afternoon, and they'd made a wonderful birthday dinner for me involving everything from soup to nuts. It was a really nice day.

Today is President's Day and I have the day off. The weather is way crazy out there, which means to I probably won't get out to do any sort of exercise. But I think that's OK - it's nearly 10am and Tom and I are still in our PJs and neither of us is anxious to do anything about that. We may just hang out here and be lazy all day. Plenty of good solid food in the house and nothing to binge on - life is good.

Thanks for "listening," y'all...

Have a great week--
Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #5  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

I'm ready to start this week of right!! After having an awful week last week and an awful weekend of being sick I see that my body needs healthy foods to keep me strong. I've been in bed the last 3 days with some sort of bug and it's given me lots of time to think. Last week was full of binges for me, and I just felt defeated. Today I feel better, and I feel ready to fuel my body with foods that will make me feel good not bad. I've looked into going to an OA meeting. I still haven't made the call, and I'm not sure when I will. I'm really scared to go. I'm feeling like for once though I'm headed in the right direction. So this is where I will come to be accountable for my eating...bad or good!

Heather- I feel ya hun, why does it always have to feel so shameful. I hate the sneaking around and hiding of wrappers. I hate how I feel afterwards and how I look at myself in the mirror and swear I've grown 5 sizes. I don't know what that is, but alls we can do is dust ourselves off and try for the best. Hang in there hun

Shay-I'm with ya on dedicating myself to this forum...it seems like this is where I belong!

Birgit-First off Happy Birthday I think that is really important that you were able to link your "go nuts" button back to when you were little. I think half the battle is knowing why we do what we do, and you have figured that half out. Enjoy your day today~
Old 02-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Starting the week right here, cleaned out my kitchen over the weekend, got rid of most junk, now if I can only drive past those fast food restaurants. I lost another pound according to the scale. My days of porking out on extra large extra cheese double burgers with potatoes and extra sour cream are over! I'm going to make it through this week without binging on fast food. No fast food at all.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #7  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

YAY!!! I just committed to going to my first OA meeting I go this Wednesday....

Horsey- Here is to a binge free week We can do it~
Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/250/180

Height: 5'10"

Good afternoon, all

Heather - I hear ya... I'm always praying for the last binge, as well. I hope you can find some inspiration to get back on the wagon & continue all your good work.

Shay - I think you are right about dedicating yourself to this forum... I find on the days I post, even if it's just once, I'm much less likely to binge. The accountability, no matter how small, helps keep me in check.

Birgit - Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy your day off today

Tina - good for you for making that call to OA. Please let me know how you like the meeting on Wednesday!

Horsey - Good for you on cleaning out the kitchen! I know you can make it through the week free of fast foods!

Doing good today so far. And did well yesterday as well. I don't even want to think or talk about Friday & Saturday. I've got a million & one excuses as to why I binged, but the bottom line is I did it, I felt horrible (physically & emotionally), & today will be different. A whole week binge-free is almost too much for me right now, so I am just committing to being binge-free today. One day at a time.

I have been exercising more recently, which I'm finding helpful. With two little ones & a full-time job, it is hard to find the time, but I've been squeezing in 20-25 minutes on the elliptical machine & also a little bit of hand weights.

Random thought - sometimes I feel like I am eating like I am binging, even if I am just eating a normal meal. I eat very, very quickly when I am binging & am finding myself doing the same thing at normal meals/snacks. I need to start being more conscious of my food.

Hope everyone has a wonderful afternoon!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #9  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

Hey all! I too have been binging for the month. Every single day too! Yesterday was real bad. I didn't add up the calories like you angel, but I think it was around your total. I didn't run yesterday either so that made it even worse. I am praying I'll get this under control SOON!!! What the heck is wrong with me anyway, that I just can't seem to get control???
Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #10  
Heather 2.0

I just want to say Thank You for welcoming me here; it is good to know I am not alone.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/250/180

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker Chick View Post
What the heck is wrong with me anyway, that I just can't seem to get control???
Rocker, that is the million dollar question for me! What is wired differently about me than the rest of the world who seems to be able to eat one cookie & I feel compelled to eat the whole package?? And then feel so ashamed that I try to hide it?

Here's to hoping you have a better day today
Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #12  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Default I'm struggling...

Hi Everyone,
I'm sitting here at home, struggling with the contents of my refrigerator. Visions of sugarplums are dancing thru my head... And just about every other remotely edible substance that's not nailed down. So far I've been holding steady. Haven't succumbed yet. But it's soooo hard...

I'm feeling out of sorts. Sat eve was that candy dinner binge, yesterday was my birthday and life was not "normal," and today was a holiday and a day off - and life still wasn't normal. I'm out of my routine. For a variety of reasons I haven't been getting the exercise I normally get. And my BF is out of town tonight and I'm alone at home - always a dangerous situation.

But again, I'm hanging in there. Just got a nice big glass of H2O, and that helps a bit. Got online to "talk" with you all instead of heading to the kitchen - that's a smart move.

But... it's only 8pm and there's NOTHING on TV - aaarrggghhhh! And I don't have a good book to read... and there's only so much time I can reasonably spend on the computer... and it's too dark and icy out to safely go for a walk... and too early for bed... I've tried calling friends and relatives and it's one of those eves when EVERYONE is busy or away...

But you know what? I do feel better having told you all about the struggle. Will let you know in the moment how it turns out. Wish me luck, Everyone...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #13  
Heather 2.0

Oh Birgit - I SO hope your evening was better than mine. I spent the whole day doing 'damage control' for last night - then dug food out of the garbage - that's right, omg! - and ate until I am actually ill. I'm going to bed.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Birgit.

First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you had a happy one, despite the blip. It's frustrating, isn't it? Sometimes we can even go for weeks and be just fine, and all of a sudden there's a string of challenges thrown at us. And the things that stay with us from childhood are something else! I'm impressed at how introspective you are, and how much thought you've given your actions and your overall situation. Is it strange having Tom there for two weeks? If I interpreted correctly, the non-routineness, if you will, of his being around for awhile might have had a significant factor. How did it go tonight??

Heather... I hope you join us often! I'm looking forward to getting to know you

Clydie, I know what you mean! The whole eating habit thing is off kilter, and I feel like I'm bingeing if I eat a lot in a short time, even if it's healthy, because of the way I'm eating it... like it's going to disappear (and it does.. fast! But not in the way you'd think it would by teh way I"m eating it! haha). Congrats on squeezing in that exercise!

Rocker, hang in there! We're cheering for you!

to everyone else.. I'm thinking of you all and would love to respond individually, it's just that I'm so flipping exhausted I can barely think straight (been going at statistics problem sets for hours, and it's not my strong point )

Last edited by djs06; 02-18-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 336/287/186

I haven't really binged in the last few days but I have eaten a lot of not good for me stuff. I've also skipped the gym more in the last seven days than I have in the last seven weeks. I'm starting over today. I was happy to discover that pants I've had in my closet for nearly two that still have the tags on now fit. So I'll keep that in mind whenever I want to put food in my mouth today. Good luck to everyone else this week.
Closed Thread