100 lb. Club - heart rate monitors

View Full Version : heart rate monitors

better health3
02-17-2008, 05:19 PM
I was curious how many people use them when performing cardio? I am going in my recommended healthy heart zone(50-60% of maximum heart rate). It is too slow and it is trying my nerves... I am used to training at performing at aerobic zone 70-80% of maximum heart rate. I want results, yet the turtle crawl is hard to take. I am building a base then will get back to doing doing it with more intensity.

Does anyone have results based on the healthy heart zone?

Azure
02-17-2008, 06:29 PM
I use my HRM to tell me during a workout (cardio and weights) how many calories I've burned in that session--I like having that number! I also use it to tell me what my HR is during intervals, so I can move from VERY high to medium-low on and off. It's motivational. However, everything I've read and heard (from lifting pros to Jillian Michaels) is high intensity is best. Throw the "fat burning zone" out the window. Jillian feels that working at 70-80% of your max is the way to go, and many others feel intervals (at 75-85% max for 1 minute, then at a walking pace for 1 minute) are excellent for fat loss. :) That's what I'm sticking to, anyway. If you love high intensity, go for it, girl!

Nori71
02-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't have a HRM yet, so I'm interested in getting more posts here. I'm into intervals as well and it's really hard to tell by the perceived exertion scale alone where I'm at. Some days it is hard to do the program I did 2-3 days before more easily - so my perceived exertion is at "I am probably going to die" on the high intervals on both days. (Maybe the difference is my nutrition on that day, or sleep the night before?) My trainer really wants me to get one, but I haven't looked into it too much yet. I'm interested to find out if the bands will fit around me. I wear a 42 bra.

jordan
02-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Nori - Don't even worry about the band fitting, I guarantee it will. I have a polar monitor and the band that came with it is a medium. My medium is set fairly small but I just went and, without moving the buckle, stretched it around my entire back end, no problem. Even the medium will fit you easily, its very stretchy.

Nori71
02-18-2008, 12:13 AM
OK, I didn't realize they were stretchy! Thanks Jordan.

susiemartin
02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't use them.
I have had a very slow resting heart rate my entire life 42-50 BPM and it's not because I'm fit!

It's just the way God made me.

I use the "talk test" to tell where my heart needs to be. It's easy & free.