Weight Loss Support - Do you stick with your diet, even though its not healthy?

CountryGirl18
02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I was eating lean cusines and 100c. packs and different kinds of desserts. I was keeping my calories in check and losing each week. Then I tryed to do a more healthier approach with eating veggies and chicken. And every since I couldnt stick with it, switching from atkins and different kinds of diets to try to eat healthy food. I just cant do it right now. I hate to cook, and I love pre-packaged frozen dinners. There so many different varietys. I just pop them in the microwave and its done.

Ive been maintaining my weight for a while even though Ill try a new diet, it will fail, then I stay on a binge for a week, then try something new. I cant keep going on like that. Should I just stay to what was working for me even though it might not be the healthiest way?

peachcake
02-15-2008, 02:52 PM
As long as the lean cuisines have protein and veggies and you are not just eating the mac and cheese or pasta lean cuisines it's not such a bad thing. I eat them on occassion. I don't mind cooking though, so I do a lot of that.

nelie
02-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Personally, no.

For me, it is more important what I eat than the weight I lose. I also couldn't stay on a diet plan that I thought was unhealthy for me. If you eat healthier foods, it can be easier to lose weight but you may need to learn a few tricks.

Preportion out snacks and meals. Weigh and measure stuff. I know it is a little extra work but it is worth it. I have a food scale which I use to help me keep myself on track.

Have you tried cooking stuff ahead of time? I often cook enough food for multiple days. You could also look for some of the healthier frozen meals if you do really like them.

PhotoChick
02-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Personally, no.

For me, it is more important what I eat than the weight I lose. I also couldn't stay on a diet plan that I thought was unhealthy for me. If you eat healthier foods, it can be easier to lose weight but you may need to learn a few tricks.
Same here.

Part of that is that my motivation for losing weight is to be healthier. Diabetes runs in my family. Cancer runs in my family. Heart disease and stroke run in my family. (I'm a walking time bomb here.)

Eating a bunch of processed crap isn't going to help that, no matter how skinny I wind up being.

SoulBliss
02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Ditto on the last two posts. (Did I just say 'Ditto'? :o Oh, my.).

Health is more than weight loss or maintaining and it is more important to me.

SCraver
02-15-2008, 03:13 PM
My personal thought is that if you are getting veggies in the lean cuisines... than It is probably OK to stick with that... for now. (You have to start with what works) Until you get used to eating less, etc. Then maybe you could try swapping out one of your dessert snacks for a piece of fruit? You know... slowly ease yourself into SMALL changes.

Shy Moment
02-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Country
When I started this journey I was eating lean cuisines and adding fruits, veggies and dairy. I did that for a couple of months. Really helped me see what a portion size should be. Then I went to adding more and more regular foods. Now I have a lean cuisine now and then when the family is having something i don't like or really want. I have to say fit day is the reason it worked for me. I use fit day to make sure I am getting all the required amounts of the four basic food groups in and staying within the calories, fats, and carbs I allow myself. Sometimes it isn't easy. I have to see what I can fit in to stay within those amounts. Usually, since I have been doing this about 10 months. I find it very easy to do.

There is nothing unhealthy ( ok they are not whole foods and those are best for you ) about lean cuisines. Even the beef and mac one gives you a meat group and a bread and cereal group. All four food groups are needed for a healthy diet unless of course you are a veggie and then you find ways to get the diary and meat somewhere else. You must make sure you add your fruits and veggies and diary. You can eat them three times a day and still be under the sodium amounts allowed for a healthy person. Heart association says 2400 lung association says 3300. My doc said, since I have no health problems to make me need a lower sodium diet I can have up to 3300 and it isn't going to hurt me a bit.

CountryGirl18
02-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses!!
A typical day for me would be
1 or 2 smart ones or lean cuisines
1 or 2 Turkey wraps, whole wheat tortillas on pre-packaged ultra thin turkey breast
1 or 2 Side Salads w/ olive oil, and a teaspoon of fat free dressing
Protein Shake that containes 1/4 c of milk, and half a banana.
I eat breakfast at night and that usually contains 2 kashi waffles, or 2 eggs on a mini- whole wheat bagel
1 100c. of some sort of pre-packaged junk food

I dont know how bad that really is.

SoulBliss
02-15-2008, 03:34 PM
I searched online for ingredients and this was the first one that came up. There are just so many unnecessary ingredients in these things. Hydrogenated oil? Come on. Others had 3 or more sweeteners and most have 3 or more thickeners too. :(

http://www.leancuisine.com/Products/NutritionInformation.aspx?ProductID=10562

Ingredients:

Blanched whole wheat spaghetti (water, whole wheat durum flour), skim milk, cooked chicken tenderloins (chicken tenderloins, water, isolated soy protein, modified rice starch, canola oil, seasoning (flavors, yeast extract, salt, dehydrated garlic, citric acid), salt, sugar, sodium phosphates), snap peas, peanut butter (peanuts, sugar, salt, hydrogenated vegetable oil (rapeseed, cottonseed and soybean oils), molasses, mono- and diglycerides), carrots, water chestnuts, water, soybean oil, soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt), modified cornstarch, sugar, salt, apple cider vinegar, chicken flavor (maltodextrin, salt, natural flavor, chicken fat, chicken broth, yeast extract, sesame oil, canola lecithin), lime juice concentrate, garlic concentrate (garlic, salt, natural flavors, sesame oil, canola oil, citric acid), caramel color, spices, lactic acid, calcium lactate.

SoulBliss
02-15-2008, 03:36 PM
I was making my last post when you were making this one, apparently, so I just wanted you to know it wasn't a response to this.

Thanks for all the responses!!
A typical day for me would be
1 or 2 smart ones or lean cuisines
1 or 2 Turkey wraps, whole wheat tortillas on pre-packaged ultra thin turkey breast
1 or 2 Side Salads w/ olive oil, and a teaspoon of fat free dressing salad
Protein Shake that containes 1/4 c of milk, and half a banana.
I eat breakfast at night and that usually contains 2 kashi waffles, or 2 eggs on a mini- whole wheat bagel
1 100c. of some sort of pre-packaged junk food

I dont know how bad that really is.

It looks like you are eating some fresh foods, vegetables and a tiny bit of fruit. I know how hard it is when we are busy and it's obvious you are putting thought and care into your plan!

I agree with Nelie that planning ahead and cooking a lot at once helps.

souvenirdarling
02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
CC18, I think you should challenge yourself and try to find a way of maintaining your weight without relying on frozen/fast food. Part of the struggle is learning how to prepare food for yourself, how to feed yourself and others properly. It really is more than just losing the weight, it's maintaining a healthy lifestyle. We all got overweight in the first place by not knowing how to take care of ourselves :)

JayEll
02-15-2008, 03:56 PM
I am a big believer in doing what works for YOU, as long as it is a well-considered plan and not some fad.

I do not do well with cooking, and I do not do well with portions. So, I had to find a way to curb my portion sizes and not have to be cooking all the time. Yes, I suppose it is nobler as well as healthier to eat only organic, free-range, home cooked meals, but I found I was not going to be able to lose weight if I had to do that--I would just never get there. I owe my weight loss to Lean Cuisines.

Now, that said, I also supplement them with fresh salads and extra vegetables, and I also take a multivitamin and mineral supplement, with extra calcium. I don't eat them for breakfast--my breakfasts are shakes made with brown eggs from free-range, organically fed hens, 1% milk with no hormones or additives, and fresh fruits; or, granola or shredded wheat with 1% milk and fresh fruit. I also like whole grain bread with organic Smucker's all natural peanut butter with no hydrogenated oils.

I know exactly what is in Lean Cuisines, and they have no preservatives and no trans fats. That's good enough for me. I'm not interested in micromanaging ingredients--most of those ingredients are present in only trace amounts by the time you package one dinner.

CountryGirl18, the test is whether you are losing and whether you feel OK (not too tired, not hungry all the time). If you stop losing, then you'll need to reevaluate, perhaps.

Good luck! :cheer2:

Jay

SoulBliss
02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I know exactly what is in Lean Cuisines, and they have no preservatives and no trans fats.

That is often simply not true. :(

Not all varieties are preservative-free (the company says you need to look for the "no preservatives" flag on specially marked entrées for which ones are).

Anything that has partially hydrogenated oil by definition does contain trans fat.

Due to ridiculous laws, a company can have up to 0.5 grams of trans fats and call it "trans fat free". So, if one is eating multiple products of this sort, it can add up.

This link explains it a bit more.

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/faqs/f/hydrogenated.htm

Some people genuinely don't care about eating/avoiding partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, multiple sweeteners and thickening agents, so these are good choices for them.

Whatever works, right? ;)

LisaMarie71
02-15-2008, 04:27 PM
It's wonderful that some people can lose weight eating all healthy, unprocessed, good-for-you stuff. I was not one of those people. I lost 110 pounds eating Lean Cuisines, 100 calorie packs, fat-free fudgsicles, and all the other stuff many people on 3FC would turn up their noses at. I don't fault them for turning up their noses, certainly, but I had to do what I knew I would stick to. I'm simply NOT going to cook a lot, and I'm simply NOT going to eat only whole foods. I know this about myself, and I've fought it many times. When I decided to stop fighting it and do what would work for me without feeling guilty about it, I lost 110 pounds. Am I healthier now than I never was? You bet I am. For me it was all about ridding myself of the problem of obesity FIRST, and I did that. Along the way, I did begin to incorporate healthier foods into my diet, and I'm sure you will too. The key for me (and it sounds like it will be the key for you too) is allowing yourself to do it the way that works for YOU without feeling guilty because someone else is doing it "cleaner." Concentrate on portion control first (and that's what Lean Cuisines and 100 calorie packs are about, after all) -- the rest can fall into place later.

I know my view is unpopular, but it's one that I always feel it's necessary to share, because if I hadn't let go of the notion that I had to do it perfectly, I'd still weigh 275 pounds and I wouldn't have been able to get pregnant!

Meg
02-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Lisa, I'm standing up and cheering for your post. :cp: You created a food (and exercise) plan that YOU can comfortably live with for the rest of your life. And that's what it's all about for each of us -- finding our own, unique Plan For Life. You have, I have, all of our other fabulous maintainers have, and all the plans look different. But ... one of the great things about 3FC is that, even though we're all losing weight differently, we can all come together and share ideas and support.

Lisa, you're fit, you're healthy, you're gorgeous ... and now you're going to have a baby! We're all so proud of you! :grouphug:

rockinrobin
02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I think getting the weight off is first and foremost.

I think you need to find what works for YOU. If this is what you need to do in order to lose the weight, and you are satisfied, then so be it. Eating more whole foods IS healthier, but being a healthy weight is VITAL. Absolutely VITAL. If eating this way for now will get you to that healthy weight, then I see nothing terrible about it. Since this is a process, you might want to tweak it as you go along. The eating healthier will most likely evolve and once you start losing the weight, you may decide you want to switch up your menu.

Good luck to you. Stick to your guns. They're YOUR guns afterall. :)

Robin41
02-15-2008, 04:46 PM
I was busy writing a response to this when LisaMarie posted. She has said exactly what I was trying to express. I also would still weigh 292 if I hadn't figured out what worked for me and stopped worrying about not doing it the "right way" or the perfect way.

The trace amounts of transfats in an item that is already halfway down a list of ingredients has nowhere near the impact on my health that the extra 120+ pounds had. That is a simple fact.

It would be nice to grow my own organics and have free range chickens running around my backyard, but in my real world, I'm more into dealing with 80 hour work weeks, getting to the gym, ailing elderly parents, a pack of dogs that need walking, and trying to sneak in some sleep and a little sex now and then. Something has to give and for me it's cooking and worrying about making perfect choices. And I'm healthier for it.

peachcake
02-15-2008, 04:50 PM
I agree! :bravo: Lisa! I think when you are obese you have to think about the long term effects. I think being obese is one of the poorest things for your health, so sometimes it's best to tackle on thing at a time. Work on losing some extra fat then think more healthy.

rockinrobin
02-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I just want to add, there is no one across the way to lose weight "properly", that there is more then one way to do this "right". Gosh, if there wasn't, there wouldn't be so many darn "diet" books on the market with every Tom, Dick and Harry trying to come up with the "right" plan.

My "healthy" eating came about from the fact that I needed to find something that would give me lots and lots of volume, which is why I relied so heavily on vegetables. I got lucky in that respect. I also always liked to cook. Lucky again.

horsey
02-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I stuck with my unhealthy diet of fast food, microwave meals and junk for years and finally it caught up with me with weight gain. I always hated cooking, thought I didn't have the time but on a cleaner, healthier diet and losing some weight, I have a new desire to research nutrition, eat better and know more. I'm not as quick to grab the microwavable meals as I've built up some knowledge of quick easy meals - books from library, recipes here and other places - and found out it's not that bad or time consuming. I've changed my grocery shopping habits, making sure I have fresh vegetables and fruit to munch on so I don't hopefully grab the junk. I make sure even treats like popcorn are low fat. There's so many "tricks" for us lazy dieters/cookers that there is little reason to mostly eat processed food... it's not just about weight loss it's about feeling good, having energy and living a long happy life too.

sharonrr1
02-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Lisa, I'm standing up and cheering for your post. :cp: You created a food (and exercise) plan that YOU can comfortably live with for the rest of your life. And that's what it's all about for each of us -- finding our own, unique Plan For Life. You have, I have, all of our other fabulous maintainers have, and all the plans look different. But ... one of the great things about 3FC is that, even though we're all losing weight differently, we can all come together and share ideas and support.

Lisa, you're fit, you're healthy, you're gorgeous ... and now you're going to have a baby! We're all so proud of you! :grouphug:

I second Meg. We all do it differently. I would not do it that way knowing what I know now. But I have eaten only Lean Cuisines and lost weight. But when I reverted to my old way of eating I gained it back. Is this something you can do for the rest of your life? Do you have a plan after you reach goal?
Good luck to you. Take care of yourself.

bethbeth
02-15-2008, 07:12 PM
I agree that you have to find what is right for you, and Lean Cuisine may be the way to do it (or at least the way to start).
I have been eating some Lean Cuisine and Eat Right Meals. I try not to eat them everyday, but it sure is nice to throw one in the microwave when I don't have the time or energy to cook. It is a good alternative to reaching for a frozen pizza or burritos which I used to grab when I didn't want to cook.
I do understand the concerns that some are posting with these meals.
But for me, moving from Pizza or burrito to Lean Cuisine or Eat Right was a very positive step!

CountryGirl18
02-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I just want to thank everyone with there responses.
I know some prefer real meals other than pre-packaged frozen foods. And I understand that. But when I tryed it, it really didnt work for me. Im trying to be a nurse, im still a student. I find it diffucult for me to cook, or to pre-packaged my meals. The only thing I can stick to is pre-packaged food.
Ive already done Jenny Craig, but I figured what I was paying for that I could do myself. With the accountabilty with WW. I just use WW for Weigh Ins.
I understand that being healthy requires my dedication towards different foods, however I just cant totally make the change yet. Maybe once Ive lost weight and have learned more about my food choices.

Thank you for all your responses.

I edited this to add that I dont ever think I could cut everything that some people consider bad out of my life forever. I understand preservatives. I understand every ingredient Im ingestion into my system. I also believe in calories in vs. calories out. And that maybe a lean cuisne is better than a meal out at some restaurant where I dont know what Im consuming and it may up being 1200 calories, which is very near to what i am suppose to consume in a whole day.

I also want to add that when I stuck to frozen dinners. Is the only time I havent wanted to binge. Everyother time Ive ended up binging because I fell deprived. I need my desserts. I need the food that most people feel they could ever eat. Im itailian, I want those pastas. Thats how I was raised. And with frozen dinners Im still getting that, without having to weight the pasta myself, and be disapointed about the amout I was getting.

nelie
02-15-2008, 09:32 PM
It's wonderful that some people can lose weight eating all healthy, unprocessed, good-for-you stuff. I was not one of those people. I lost 110 pounds eating Lean Cuisines, 100 calorie packs, fat-free fudgsicles, and all the other stuff many people on 3FC would turn up their noses at. I don't fault them for turning up their noses, certainly, but I had to do what I knew I would stick to. I'm simply NOT going to cook a lot, and I'm simply NOT going to eat only whole foods. I know this about myself, and I've fought it many times. When I decided to stop fighting it and do what would work for me without feeling guilty about it, I lost 110 pounds. Am I healthier now than I never was? You bet I am. For me it was all about ridding myself of the problem of obesity FIRST, and I did that. Along the way, I did begin to incorporate healthier foods into my diet, and I'm sure you will too. The key for me (and it sounds like it will be the key for you too) is allowing yourself to do it the way that works for YOU without feeling guilty because someone else is doing it "cleaner." Concentrate on portion control first (and that's what Lean Cuisines and 100 calorie packs are about, after all) -- the rest can fall into place later.

I know my view is unpopular, but it's one that I always feel it's necessary to share, because if I hadn't let go of the notion that I had to do it perfectly, I'd still weigh 275 pounds and I wouldn't have been able to get pregnant!

I don't think your view is unpopular. I think everyone here does what they think is best for them and they speak on their own views and opinions which I think is useful for those that are trying to figure out what they need/want to do.

Although I'd still say if someone said they were worried that their diet was unhealthy and they were concerned that they were eating healthier foods, I think they could make eating 'better' foods and losing weight a possibility.

I myself have been in the same position as CountryGirl where I was losing weight but the diet plan I was following left me feeling that I should be doing something differently. I ended up changing my eating to match my beliefs. Sure I'm not at goal but that wouldn't happen no matter what diet I was following because I have my own issues that I know will take years to overcome. So for me, at least I'm happy about what I'm eating which I think everyone should be.

horsey
02-15-2008, 09:49 PM
In the Best Life now book phase one isn't changing one's diet, it's adding about 1/2 hour of exercise in the first month. You don't really track calories, but you already know about WW points. Maybe that's for you, just keep doing what you are doing, increase your exercise and cut serious junk from your diet. Start being curious about what healthier choices are but take it slow. Maybe choosing one habit here and there, and researching it. Like what would be some good quick breakfast choices different then what you are doing now, etc.

horsey
02-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Another idea, save those little containers from your frozen Lean Cuisines. I started doing this and have a bunch of them. Since I've been more into cooking, I use them for my own frozen meals... something I read somewhere. My problem too is portion sizes. So if I fit in say chicken or shrimp on one side and green beans, rice/peas, etc on the other side, put a plastic wrap on top I have my own magical frozen meals. They heat up just like the store bought meals but I think they must be healthier. Now when I cook the chicken or shrimp or steak, I cook extra, for maybe 3-4 of those meals. I believe it's saving money too, as frozen meals can be expensive. If you are a student you are busy, but if you are a nursing student, learning about nutrition ought to be a part of the program!

SoulBliss
02-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Another idea, save those little containers from your frozen Lean Cuisines. I started doing this and have a bunch of them. Since I've been more into cooking, I use them for my own frozen meals... something I read somewhere. My problem too is portion sizes. So if I fit in say chicken or shrimp on one side and green beans, rice/peas, etc on the other side, put a plastic wrap on top I have my own magical frozen meals. They heat up just like the store bought meals but I think they must be healthier. Now when I cook the chicken or shrimp or steak, I cook extra, for maybe 3-4 of those meals. I believe it's saving money too, as frozen meals can be expensive. If you are a student you are busy, but if you are a nursing student, learning about nutrition ought to be a part of the program!

That is a really smart and ecologically sound. :carrot:

horsey
02-15-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm smart enough to learn tips from others, I can't even remember where I read this one, who'd think to save the cartons on their own? Not me...

nelie
02-15-2008, 10:23 PM
If you wanted something reusable forever, you could also buy some corningware dishes of the right size. I have some which I use to give DH his lunches. Although it doesn't have little dividers on it.

horsey
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
oh no I need my little dividers, at least for now this is my natural progression away from eating a lot of Lean Cuisine, using the tubs! I have other sorts of tubs and things but these are handy to remind me not to pig out, you should have seen the "former me" portion sizes!

SoulBliss
02-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I have several reusable lunch items too, and I use them for me DD and DH, but if someone is using disposables already, I think it's good to reuse.

There are some really cool things here:

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/lunch-bags-lunch-boxes-c-4_20.html

And the Fit n' Fresh ones are good too:

http://marketplace.hgtv.com/Product.aspx?Lid=2811-6007-00083-0000&From=iFP

Personally, I don't own a microwave. ;)

chick_in_the_hat
02-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Ahh the Lean Cuisine debate....my 2¢. I ate them (or Smart Ones or Healthy Choice) for lunch every day for years. While they aren't the healthiest thing in the world...they are better than veding machine or fast food. I stopped buying them a while back partly because I was kind of "over" them...partly in an effort to eat more whole foods. I say if they work for you - go for it. Learning portion control is important...I add a big ol salad on the side to fill me up.

Jasmine31
02-16-2008, 03:24 AM
I agree with the others. First and foremost get the weight off. Whatever it takes to do that do it. You can tweak your food later.