Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 PM   #1  
weightwatchergirl

S/C/G: 224.4/211.8/160

Height: 5'6

Default Does anyone else get headaches from workouts?

Hi all -- I am new on here and I have an issue when I exercise --- If I am just doing something light like walking or what not I am fine - but when I work really hard - like running (trying to) or playing tennis with a ball machine (like today) my throat feels all raw when I breath and I am out of breath - it almost hurts to breath...the second issue is I get a bad headache that lasts all day...I drank water and had my Luna bar...I don't know why this always happens to me...why would working out cause this headache and then I feel really bad all day -- it is very discouraging...I played tennis 4 hours ago and I am tired and still have a headache from 5 hours ago....

Anyone else go through this too? Anything help?

thanks,
eliina
weightwatchergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/165/160

Height: 4'11& 3/4 inches

Do you smoke cigarettes? Or take meds or herbs? Do you drink enough water? It could be alot of things...Or it could just be you're out of shape;and the more you exercise the longer it will take for your lungs to burn
RedPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I am not a doctor but know blood pressure can be an issue that can cause headaches like you describe. Please talk to a doctor about this just in case.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #4  
weightwatchergirl

S/C/G: 224.4/211.8/160

Height: 5'6

Thank you!!

My BP is fine (yay!) -- it runs around 114/75
I don't smoke
I do take 2 meds though...

This is why this is so strange to me...I will talk to my doctor about it - but hopefully the more I work out the better it will get - My blood sugar and everything is normal and I don't have any health issues other than extra weight...

Water might really be the issue -- thanks for bringing it up...

:-)

eliina
weightwatchergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Your throat feeling raw could be a lot of things, most of which are completely treatable, so I agree with everyone else that you should talk to your doctor. Some of the things could be contributing to your headache.

Are you doing these activities outside in the sun? If so, try wearing a hat and sunglasses or changing the time that you exercise so that the sun isn't as much of an issue. If I go running at midday in the hot sun without a hat, I guarantee I'll get a headache no matter how much water I drink. If I wear a hat, no headache. I hate to wear a hat, so when I exercise outdoors I try to do it in the early morning when the sun is just coming up or in the evening, when the sun is lower in the sky. This makes a big difference in terms of my headaches.

It could also be that you aren't drinking enough water, as others have suggested. Finally, it could be that you are pushing yourself a little too hard--the rawness in your throat could also indicate this. Maybe trying running at a slower pace or taking it a little easier with the tennis (is there a lower setting for the ball machine?).

Have you tried taking Ibuprofen for the headaches? When I get headaches from exercising, Ibuprofen usually clears them up.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I agree with everything that was said... I just want to add that maybe you just aren't breathing right... make sure you breath when you workout, many seem to hold their breath when they workout because of using muscles and being tense, so think of your breathing
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote