Old 02-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #1  

Default Question about fat

Hi! I am on day 3 of SB. I logged the food I ate today onto FitDay and I noticed that I consumed a lot of fat calories! How much is recommended? Is there a protein:carb:fat ratio I should be shooting for? I haven't been eating reduced fat cheese mostly because I don't like it, but I also haven't been shopping. I'll buy some next time I'm at the store.
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I noticed the same thing when I started logging my calories. I was able to cut back on the fat percentage by reducing my olive oil usage and cutting my cheese consumption. I don't know about a recommended percentage, really. I try to keep my fat grams in the under-35 range. Most of my carbs come from fresh fruits and veggies, so I don't really watch that number, but I do try to keep my protein at or above 65g a day.

Hope that helps!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:48 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't think there is a particular guideline for SB. I think as long as your saturated fats aren't out of control, you're okay. I don't think I can really compare my numbers to Kara's since I likely take in a lot more calories than her, but I know for me, I strive for at least 100g of protein every day. Protein usually ends up being maybe 55% of my calories, 35% from fats, and maybe 10% from carbs, but I'm still in Phase 1, so I haven't added in fruit or grains yet, and I haven't really been eating any beans or drinking milk. The bulk of my daily carbs comes from my morning glass of V8!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #4  

Thanks for your replies!
I'm on day 8 now and I'm still seeing a lot of calories from fat. Today most of it came from a serving of nuts. I've been eating nuts everyday, but I think I need to cut them out, or at least go to every other day. And less cheese. I'll keep working on it!
Kara, I noticed you are training for a marathon. I have finished 5, back before I had kids. I would love to be able to train for one again, but it's hard to find the time. I'm hoping when my youngest starts kinder....Have fun, it's an awesome experience!
Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb There are some guidelines in the book on fat

Also if you go on the official website it does list the amount of fat you should be getting in terms of cooking oils. You are allowed 1 TB. per main meal. That also includes mayonaise. I really tried to research it and see about the SBD-approved margarines because I like that on my toast (when you are in Phase 2) I really couldn't find a definitive answer to satisfy me so I really make sure that when I "butter" my toast that I really use the absolute minimum that I can.

He really does STRESS low fat, reduced fat and no fat and in the book he does have guidelines for that. For example, 6 grams of fat per serving for cheese. I have found the Sargento's brand for reduced fat cheeses to be the best tasting.

The right kinds of fats are what give you a feeling of fullness besides the lean protein. Again, in the book, he does have guidelines for all of this.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-21-2008 at 01:10 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #6  

Thanks pamatga. I have to admit, I'm doing this with out the book. I'm just going with the info I get from this site. I actually have a couple of cook books on hold for me at the library. I should be able to pick them up tomorrow. I imagine there will be some basics as an intro to the cook book.