Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Current food obsession?

View Full Version : Current food obsession?

Glory87
02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
I have a new breakfast that I am addicted to! It's 1/2 cup of Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin Flax cereal, 2 spoonfuls of wheat germ and a container of Vosko's fat free Greek yogurt with honey - AWESOME! Filling, delicious and around 300 calories.

PhotoChick
02-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Baked oatmeal.

I found the recipe online somewhere and modified it to fit my diet.

It's basically whole oats, egg whites, applesauce, nuts, dried fruit, and honey ... baked for an hour. One batch makes 8 servings, so I cut it up into portions and bring it to work with me every morning. Some mornings I'll microwave it and throw a little low fat yogurt on it, and some mornings I'll just eat it like a soft breakfast-bar type of thing.

But I'm addicted to them. I can't imagine what I did before this recipe! :)

Other than that, sunflower seeds. I've found a local brand here that's roasted w/out salt and tastes yummy. I have a small serving in the afternoons at work every day before I go to the gym - it's a little protein to keep me going.

veracitarella
02-14-2008, 12:00 PM
pickles - 0 points (i hope)!

SCraver
02-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Seafood... I have been eating fish and shrimps... mmm shrimps... and the other night, I went out and paid $8 for ONE LEG of a King Crab.... MMmmmm... And it is all Low calorie/low points as long as it isn't slathered in butter.

Mmmm... shrimps... I have some for lunch...

junebug41
02-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Annie's Naturals Tuscan Italian Dressing. It's the super market and lower cal (80/serving) version of the expensive stuff I can *maybe* find at Whole Foods. I have been searching high and low for something that matches the taste and I have found it!

jillybean720
02-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Grilled chicken breast covered with homemade bbq sauce and topped with sliced avocado and thin-sliced Swiss cheese :)

oooh, and salads! I used to steer clear of salads because I only like them with a lot of high-cal dressing, but now I make my own dressings, so they're lower in calories, fat, and sugar, and I am falling in love with salads all over again! My favorites are:

romaine lettuce, baby spinach, grilled chicken, sliced almonds, and Asian sesame dressing
romaine lettuce, baby spinach, chopped avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped cucumber (w/skin still on), broccoli florets, grilled chicken, and thousand island dressing (also good with cubed ham instead of chicken and hard boiled egg)

rockinrobin
02-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Jilly, I'm SO happy for you. You're eating vegetables. Yay!!!! This is just GREAT news!!! Okay, so what kind of salad dressing are you making? Do tell. Do tell.

Glory, that cereal sounds YUMMY.

I am back into stir fries. I used to eat them a lot and had stopped and now I'm eating them almost every day again. I use tons of zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower and onions. Brown it in a little cooking spray and then add a pinch of chicken consomme, a drop of soy sauce, a 1/2 tsp of sugar free apricot preserves, garlic and ginger. Delicious!

I've also been eating cucumber salad 2X a day now for at least 2 or 3 months. Is that obsession? Come to think of it, I've been eating the same Danon Light and Fit Yogurt for well over a year now. Is THAT an obsession? Hmmmm? I wonder.

jillybean720
02-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Jilly, I'm SO happy for you. You're eating vegetables. Yay!!!! This is just GREAT news!!!
haha, I know. It's a BIG step for me. I have South Beach to thank. It's still not much variety--still just the very few veggies I always could handle (broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers, baby spinach, cauliflower, and small amounts of onion here and there), but it's definitely more in quantity. Although, I am eating more Splenda than I would like, I suppose it's worth the tradeoff if I'm eating more veggies and losing weight.

I posted my salad dressing recipes in the South Beach recipes section:
Thousand Island (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133985)
Asian Sesame Dressing (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133986)

nelie
02-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm proud of you too Jilly, You? eating veggies? :) It does take time to make veggies a permanent part of your life.

My recent obsessions include my morning spinach shake (spinach and other veggies along with fruit), soy yogurt and berries as a desert and mock tuna salad (made with chickpeas). I also eat 2 salads per day and really enjoy them.

Glory87
02-14-2008, 01:40 PM
I've also been eating cucumber salad 2X a day now for at least 2 or 3 months. Is that obsession? Come to think of it, I've been eating the same Danon Light and Fit Yogurt for well over a year now. Is THAT an obsession? Hmmmm? I wonder.

Heh, I eat the same things over and over too. Berries EVERY morning. Cut up veggies (grape tomatoes, red pepper strips, baby carrots, sugar snap peas) EVERY day.

Heck - until my recent granola/yogurt kick, I ate kashi waffles every day for over 2 years!

PhotoChick
02-14-2008, 02:08 PM
ooooh ... cucumbers. This summer they were my obsession. Soooo yummy.

junebug41
02-14-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm proud of you too Jilly, You? eating veggies? :) It does take time to make veggies a permanent part of your life.

My recent obsessions include my morning spinach shake (spinach and other veggies along with fruit), soy yogurt and berries as a desert and mock tuna salad (made with chickpeas). I also eat 2 salads per day and really enjoy them.

Me too!!! I now have to have one after my workout/before bed.

So satisfying.

BlueToBlue
02-15-2008, 03:35 AM
I have a couple of new obsessions:
Grapefruit: I've been getting locally grown yellow grapefruit at the farmers' market and pink grapefruit from Trader Joe's. Both are so sweet I cannot believe they are only 9 calories an oz. I eat it on my yogurt and cereal in the morning; in a salad with cabbage, roasted onions, fennel, and light chevre for lunch; and with sweetened yogurt in a parfait for my evening snack. Yes, I am eating grapefruit three times a day!
Kohlrabi: I've discovered I love this veggie. I've been slicing it up and eating it raw and putting it in my dinner salad.

Also, here are my long-term obsessions:
Greek Yogurt and Cereal: My favorite breakfast for the past year has been 1 cup non-fat greek yogurt with 1/2 cup high fiber cereal and 2 oz of fruit. I've eaten this just about every weekday for at least the past year. But if I can find that pumpkin flax cereal I just might try it in place of the high fiber cereal.
Hot Cereal: I eat a bowl of oatmeal (well, Trader Joe's multi-grain cereal which is like oatmeal but with other grains), cream of wheat, or coco wheats as a snack every day. I think I've been doing this for at least six months.
Fiber One Muffins: I make muffins out of Fiber One cereal and I eat one as a snack every day with non-fat cream cheese. I think I've been doing this for a year or so.
Homongous Green Salad: I have one almost every day with dinner. Around 8 oz--I eat it out of mixing bowl because my salad bowls aren't big enough. I think I've been doing this for at least two years now.

jillybean720
02-15-2008, 05:28 AM
...I eat it out of mixing bowl because my salad bowls aren't big enough.
hehe, I eat my salads out of a big Tupperware container for this same reason! I take a big plastic container, fill it up with all my salad, add dressing, put the lid on, and shake it to distribute the dressing (for ome reason, when I just mix it with my fork, I end up making a mess and still not getting enough dressing throughout). I will say my salad bowls are kept in very nice shape since they are almost never used :p

rockinrobin
02-15-2008, 06:14 AM
I eat my salad out of a serving bowl. A BIG serving bowl. I LOVE that you can eat an enormous amount of it.

Jilly, I'm really thrilled for you. I checked out that Asian dressing. It sounds FABULOUS. I wouldn't be surprised though, if you can elminate most of that oil and replace it with water, yup, water. If and when you decide you want to bring down your calories a tad, you might want to give it a try. Oh, and I too am using a bit too much Splenda. I am working on it though.

Glory, I feel so fortunate that I am able to still enjoy so many of the foods that I started out eating when I began this journey. It seems so weird to other folks that I eat so many of the same foods day after day. But not the people here. Now I wonder why that is? I really don't. I think it's been one of the keys to success for me as well as many of the other success stories around here. Glory, I'd think we'd hit it off so well if we were ever to meet in person.

Barbara, those muffins are a good idea. Maybe one of these days, I'll give it a try.

All right, time for me to go slice up some cucumbers and make me some salad before I head to work. :smug:

missingmyerica
02-15-2008, 06:22 AM
I eat my salad out of a serving bowl. A BIG serving bowl. I LOVE that you can eat an enormous amount of it.\

LOL.....I eat my salad in a mixing bowl! I thought I was the only one! Lunch is my biggest meal, I have a huge salad with cut up chicken, turkey or tuna. I throw in all kinds of veg and for dressing I use olive oil and balsamic. I have a nice mug of green tea along with it and it's my favorite meal of the day.

jillybean720
02-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Jilly, I'm really thrilled for you. I checked out that Asian dressing. It sounds FABULOUS. I wouldn't be surprised though, if you can elminate most of that oil and replace it with water, yup, water. If and when you decide you want to bring down your calories a tad, you might want to give it a try.
I will definitely keep that in mind! For my next batch, I'm thinking also of replacing some (if not all) of the canola oil with macadmia nut oil to get more monounsaturated fats. I'm thinking it might even be a bit more flavorful, too. I LOVE that dressing!

LLV
02-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Grilled chicken breast covered with homemade bbq sauce and topped with sliced avocado and thin-sliced Swiss cheese :)

Okay, I just did a delightful squirm in my seat reading that, haha! I have to make it soon.

Food obsessions, hmmmmmm, well, I eat pita sandwiches just about every night of the week. I stuff them with whatever I'm in the mood for. I use both store-bought pitas and I also make my own. I'll fill them with veggies, lean meats, salads, whatever I feel like having.

I'm a pita fanatic.

Glory87
02-15-2008, 09:32 AM
I have a couple of new obsessions:
Grapefruit: I've been getting locally grown yellow grapefruit at the farmers' market and pink grapefruit from Trader Joe's. Both are so sweet I cannot believe they are only 9 calories an oz. I eat it on my yogurt and cereal in the morning; in a salad with cabbage, roasted onions, fennel, and light chevre for lunch; and with sweetened yogurt in a parfait for my evening snack. Yes, I am eating grapefruit three times a day!
Kohlrabi: I've discovered I love this veggie. I've been slicing it up and eating it raw and putting it in my dinner salad.

Also, here are my long-term obsessions:
Greek Yogurt and Cereal: My favorite breakfast for the past year has been 1 cup non-fat greek yogurt with 1/2 cup high fiber cereal and 2 oz of fruit. I've eaten this just about every weekday for at least the past year. But if I can find that pumpkin flax cereal I just might try it in place of the high fiber cereal.

Well, now I'm craving grapefruit and want to try a kohlrabi! If you're really interested in the cereal, you can always buy it online!

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Path-Organic-Granola-11-5-Ounce/dp/B000FBZQ1M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1203085805&sr=8-1

6 boxes for 18 bucks is really a good deal, of course, with 6 boxes, I hope you like it! heh

Glory87
02-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Glory, I feel so fortunate that I am able to still enjoy so many of the foods that I started out eating when I began this journey. It seems so weird to other folks that I eat so many of the same foods day after day. But not the people here. Now I wonder why that is? I really don't. I think it's been one of the keys to success for me as well as many of the other success stories around here. Glory, I'd think we'd hit it off so well if we were ever to meet in person.

I always think the same thing! :)

BlueToBlue
02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Well, now I'm craving grapefruit and want to try a kohlrabi! If you're really interested in the cereal, you can always buy it online!

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Path-Organic-Granola-11-5-Ounce/dp/B000FBZQ1M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1203085805&sr=8-1

6 boxes for 18 bucks is really a good deal, of course, with 6 boxes, I hope you like it! heh

Bummer--at 140 calories per 1/2 cup, that probably makes it off limits for me. My current cereal is only 60 calories per 1/2 cup, so switching to the granola would put a big dent in my calories for the day. There are three grocery stores that I frequent that carry Flax Plus products so one of them might have even it. Oh well.

The grapefruit was a surprise. I've never been a big grapefruit eater and haven't eaten it years. It's way sweeter than I remember and all of a sudden I can't get enough of it.

It seems so weird to other folks that I eat so many of the same foods day after day. But not the people here. Now I wonder why that is? I really don't. I think it's been one of the keys to success for me as well as many of the other success stories around here.

I'm reading You on a Diet and they recommend this strategy. They suggest eating the same foods every day for most of your meals and just experimenting with one meal. That's pretty much my approach. I experiment with dinner--I usually try one to three new recipes every week, but I eat the same things every day for breakfast and snacks. I do some experimenting with lunch because there are a lot of foods I like that I can't make for dinner because my SO won't eat them (like grapefruit), but I also have a lot of repetition in my lunches.

BlueToBlue
02-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who eats a salad out of a mixing/serving bowl. :lol: My SO is used to it, but I've often thought that I would be embarrassed for anyone else to see how big my salads are. It feels so decadent to eat that much food. I often have to remind myself that it's all measured and accounted for--except that I probably put more lettuce in than I'm actually counting. But I figure if I'm not losing/maintaining my weight, it's not the lettuce that is the problem.

nelie
02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I eat the same thing every day as well. It is just a lot easier to do. Actually, breakfast, lunch and dinner are typically the same thing with minor variations. I also eat my lunch salad out of a fairly big tupperware (cram the salad in) and then dinner salad is in a fairly large bowl too.

rockinrobin
02-15-2008, 05:01 PM
I think eating the same foods again is helpful in a few different ways.

If it's working for you and you enjoy it, well then why not stick with it? Kind of like "you don't fix what ain't broken". It also takes the decision process out of the picture, for the most part. You just don't leave yourself wide open to other BAD choices. And oddly enough, I find comfort from it.

As far as the large salad bowls go, I always hear people saying they should eat using a smaller dinner plate to help cut down on portions, well not me, the bigger the better. Ya really gotta love veggies for this to work though. Luckily - I DO!!! Seems like lots of you do too. Yay!!

rockinrobin
02-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I always think the same thing! :)

Cool!!!!

summerlove
02-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Bummer--at 140 calories per 1/2 cup, that probably makes it off limits for me. My current cereal is only 60 calories per 1/2 cup, so switching to the granola would put a big dent in my calories for the day. There are three grocery stores that I frequent that carry Flax Plus products so one of them might have even it. Oh well.

The grapefruit was a surprise. I've never been a big grapefruit eater and haven't eaten it years. It's way sweeter than I remember and all of a sudden I can't get enough of it.

I'm reading You on a Diet and they recommend this strategy. They suggest eating the same foods every day for most of your meals and just experimenting with one meal. That's pretty much my approach. I experiment with dinner--I usually try one to three new recipes every week, but I eat the same things every day for breakfast and snacks. I do some experimenting with lunch because there are a lot of foods I like that I can't make for dinner because my SO won't eat them (like grapefruit), but I also have a lot of repetition in my lunches.

Which cereal is this? :dizzy:

I'm loving oatmeal at the moment...and humuus. I get some from the whole foods store and it's 50 calories for 2 tablespoons..yum yum.

xtrisaratops
02-19-2008, 06:16 AM
Current food obsessions?

Fresh green beans

I've been making this REALLY yummy, simple salad with fresh green beans and citrus and having it for lunch with some chicken. Sooo tasty!

Corn

One of mom's co-workers gave us a massive amount of frozen corn on the cob that he grew in his little garden, and I've had so much fun incorporating it into things! It's so yummy and sweet and it plays well with others. I really love it, and it tastes so much different than canned corn.

rockinrobin
02-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Summerlove, I'm not positive, but I think the cereal BluetoBlue is speaking aboutis Fiber One Cereal. It's something I too eat every single day.

xtrisaratops, green beans is one of my favorites too. I eat them almost every single day. They are great raw for munching. SUPERB roasted up with fresh garlic and onions. DELISH.

Spiritmagejkt
02-19-2008, 06:58 AM
:dizzy: All bran. yogert and frozen berries, especially cranberries. I like sour things. If I sweeten it, which I usually don't, I use a few grains of stevia, just to give it a hint of sweetness.

nelie
02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Trader Joe's high fiber cereal is only 80 calories for 2/3 cup. I'm on the path to transition off of it because it contains whey (blah blah blah) but it is good, filling and cheap.

BlueToBlue
02-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Actually, I was talking about Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal, which I love. I don't eat a full serving (which is 2/3 cup at 80 calories), I just eat 1/2 cup which works out to about 60 calories. I'm eating it stirred into a cup of Trader Joe's non-fat Greek yogurt, so I don't need a full serving.

I like Fiber One too, which is also 60 calories per 1/2 cup, but I like Trader Joe's version better. A couple points in favor of Fiber One is that it has no added sugar (Trader Joe's version does have sugar added; Fiber One uses artificial sweetener) and has more fiber in it than Trader Joe's version. But I like the texture and taste of Trader Joe's version better. And, the number one ingredient in Fiber One is corn bran--when/if I give up products with added sugar I'm also giving up corn, so both these cereals will be off the table.

I also really like Nature's Path Flax Plus Multibran Flakes (http://www.naturespath.com/products/cold_cereals), which has about 75 calories per 1/2 cup. But it also has added sugar in it.

rockinrobin
02-19-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry Barbara. It was the calorie count and the amount that had me guessing my beloved Fiber One. I have still to yet to get to a Trader Joe's. If, no, WHEN , I do, I will give their brand a try.

suitejudyblueeyes
02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm utterly in love with greens right now. Can't get enough. DH becoming jealous...

I eat a big spinach salad pretty much every day at lunch (usually with blueberries and a toss of walnuts on top, no dressing). I think last week I went through two of those big 16 oz bags of baby spinach! I put it on my morning egg and english muffin, too.

It's not just spinach, though -- it's collards and turnip greens too. In fact, I just had a big bowl of turnip greens with black beans for lunch. I just can't get enough! For a while I started thinking I was deficient in some nutrient and my body was craving greens as a result (for iron? calcium?)... but now I think it's just because I like 'em. :)

I'm also on a citrus kick.... which is wonderful timing since the oranges and such seem to be at a perfect stage right now. Not too sweet, not dry. I don't do juices so it's just the whole fruit I can't do without.

ThePrettyOne
02-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Banquet Turkey Links. Only 110 calories for 3 of them and a perfect side for my Kashi waffles in the morning!!

azmom
02-19-2008, 08:13 PM
I know it's processed but it really fills me up and keeps me full for a long

time! I am talking about the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal My favortite is

the maple & brown sugar flavor. Has anyone else tried it???

azmom
02-19-2008, 08:14 PM
By the way, "The Pretty One"...you look like Jillian , the trainer, on The

Biggest Loser!

ThePrettyOne
02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Ooooh thank you! :lol: That's one I havent heard. I get Lo from The Hills on the daily basis though :lol:

Zepher
02-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Peanut butter sandwiches. with light orowheat bread. PB tended to be a binge food for me but since I've had so much of it all week, I no longer feel the binge crave and can eat semi-moderate amounts.

Azmom, I like quaker wght. control oatmeal too! You should try the banana bread favor. Yummy.

BlueToBlue
02-22-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm sorry Barbara. It was the calorie count and the amount that had me guessing my beloved Fiber One. I have still to yet to get to a Trader Joe's. If, no, WHEN , I do, I will give their brand a try.

It was a good guess. I eat plenty of Fiber One, too, just, ummm, not for breakfast. Mostly in my beloved Fiber One Muffins.

Peanut butter sandwiches. with light orowheat bread.

I love PB&J sandwiches. For months, I ate one every day for lunch. I had just started with my current trainer when I was eating them and it really bugged him. :crazy: He just couldn't get over the fat in the PB. But it was all measured and accounted for in my calories (and besides, most of it is good fat which I don't get enough of as it is).

gailr42
02-23-2008, 08:05 PM
I'll bet ya never thought you'd be addicted to any of this stuff! Amazing how tastes change.

I guess I am addicted to my moning oatmeal. Nothing seems to satify me like a bowl of hot cereal. My biggest problem with the hot cereal is figuring out how long to cook the different varieties in the microwave without having it boil over and make a mess.:lol:

LindseyLouWho
02-25-2008, 04:46 PM
My current food obsession is 1% cottage cheese or fat free Greek yogurt mixed with a serving of SF jell-o. It gives both of these a lot of bulk, so I can feel like I'm pigging out. Also, it gives both of them some sweetness and flavor without adding many calories. I sometimes will do fruit, but when I want a low-cal snack, this is usually what I opt for.

I guess I'm also obsessed with pb&j for breakfast... only not smushed together in a sandwich. :) I take either Ezekiel bread or Arnold's Natural Flax and Fiber Bread, pop it in the toaster until it's nice and golden. Then on one piece I have some sort of nut butter (either almond or one of my wonderful Peanut Butter & Co. flavors) and on the other some sort of preserves or low calorie apple butter. I *love* fig or black currant preserves.

There are a lot of others, but I'm also a creature of habit and tend to eat the same things for weeks and weeks, get tired of it, rotate a new menu in, and then go back to my old. It's pretty cyclical usually.

Edited to add:

Gail, I know what you mean about the hot cereals. I still haven't been able to cook steel cut oats in the microwave. I tried it once and ended up with a mess. Oh well. Darn me and my laziness and love of shortcuts!

CountryGirl18
02-25-2008, 04:50 PM
La Tortilla Factory extra virgin olive oil soft wrap!!! SOOO Good!! With some jenni-o sun dried tomato turkey w/ avocado!!!!
Its 150 c. with out the avocado, and about 50-60 c for the avocado!!

SandiCO
02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
I love this thread!

My favorite right now is crunchies fruit and justtomatoes dried veggies. This new freeze drying process is awesome! A snack pack of crunchies is only 25-35 calories and tastes amazing!

Glory87
02-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Oh yeah, love the justveggies stuff (and the fruit) - just wish they weren't so spendy!!!

nelie
02-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Costco carries the snack packs of freeze dried fruit. They are spendy but oh so good.

Happy Penguin
02-26-2008, 11:09 AM
so i thought that since i like apples and that i ADORE peanut butter that i would love it together. so today i decided that i was going too be very strict on my diet starting 2day so as for my snack i decided to have it and i dont like it first bite so i had to stop and get a granola bar

Cassie501107
04-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I can't seem to get enough chicken & veggies! I throw a chicken breast in the oven with cut up celery and some baby carrots with some seasoning on it, and it's just a FANTASTIC meal. I put it in before I go to my cardio class at the gym, and when I get home the house smells phenomenal and I feel so satisfied after I eat. YUM!

tiggy123
04-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Clementines! Small, portable and sooo tasty!