Weight Loss Support - i love big portions

View Full Version : i love big portions

beautybooty
02-13-2008, 07:24 PM
can i still eat big portions without feeling like i cheated? i have stayed on plan but i do like to have a nice big meal. is that really so wrong?

walking2lose
02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
I love a big dinner - I can do ok with a moderate breakfast and lunch.

It is ok, but you just need to make sure you are filling up on healthy, low fat, and not high calorie foods. I just finished eating - I had a 4 egg white omelet with sauteed onions and a slice of reduced fat cheddar cheese melted inside. I had left over roasted potatoes and onions -- I chopped them up and sauteed them as hashbrowns -- on the side. I only ate about a cup of potatoes. I also had a salad with Newman's Own Light Balsamic vinegriette. I am FULL. I will probably have a snack before bed, but I am full.

JayEll
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Vegetables are great for filling you up! Green beans are one of my favorites. I also like salads with lots of different kinds of lettuce (and easy on the dressing!). Broccoli is good--celery--beets--any vegetable that you enjoy. Watch out for the corn, though...

If by "big portions" you mean lots of pasta and potatoes--well, that can be problematic because there are so many calories in carbs like that.

Jay

Suzanne 3FC
02-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Try Volumetrics. The book is for sale just about everywhere. It's food with high volume, but low calories :)

DaisyNicole
02-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I am definitely know for downing a ridiculous amount of broccoli in one sitting because i love to feel completely satiated... but at least i am trying to do it with better foods!

beautybooty
02-13-2008, 08:21 PM
well, for example, my favorite chinese dinner is around 900 calories... YIKES i know... but if i eat light before and after it, it fits in my plan and i like it. it's a meal with rice, green beans, and shrimp.

JayEll
02-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Ah yes. Well, with Chinese food it's often the sauces that contain many calories, rather than the main ingredients.

Nice for you that you can eat a 900 calorie meal and still have room for other food! I'd have about 400 calories left after that, to just toss around on anything I wanted! :lol:

Jay

beautybooty
02-13-2008, 08:39 PM
well right now i eat 1500-1800 per day, though i can eat up to 2100 and still lose weight. for example though today i haven't even hit 1000 yet and i will be full for a while

i guess i also confuse being full with cheating, cause surely i can't be on plan if i am not constantly hungry! ;)

gailr42
02-13-2008, 08:44 PM
I like the Volumetrics book, too. I first got it out of the library, and then purchased it.

I make a sort of Chinese stir fry at home. It has lots and lots of veggies and tastes yummy.

Glory87
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
One great way to have a great big plate of food - make "pasta" with spaghetti squash. 1/2 squash is a GINORMOUS portion that tastes great with a spicy pasta sauce (load the pasta sauce up with lots of vegetables too -shredded zucchini, carrots, mushrooms) with a little sprinkle of parmesan on top - DELISH and HUGE and HEALTHY and GOOD!

sharonrr1
02-13-2008, 09:00 PM
I wish you lots of luck. If you are eating 900 calories in one sitting and starving part of the day I'm afraid you may be setting yourself up for failure. Your calories should be divided somewhat evenly throughout the day. A full plate is great if it is say for example 30% protein, 50% good for you carbs like greens and fruit and 30% fat. Why not eat every 3 hours small portions and don't let yourself get so hungry that you want to eat such huge portions.
Just my opinion.

journey2happiness
02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
:D The title of your thread reminds me of that MC hammer song...you know the one that goes "I like big buts and I can not lie," but instead "I like big portions and I can not lie. You other brother's can not lie.":dancer: This song applie to me but with the food instead lol. Sorry lol I get off topic and can be so random...*cough*:D:D

To the point: Oh yes it's very possible to have big portions without feeling like you cheated. :D:carrot:Like when it comes to fruits and vegetables I know you can eat big amounts of those without feeling too bad because it fills you up to satisfaction. I used to wonder the same thing to then someone told me "it's about quality and quantity," when it comes to food. I hope this helps. :hug:

beautybooty
02-13-2008, 09:12 PM
the thing is i don't feel like i am starving through the rest of the day when i want to wait and eat a huge meal.

when i eat several small meals i never feel satisfied and always want more. if i eat a little here and there and then a big meal, i tend to not over-eat.

for example here's a one of those days for me:

2 hard boiled eggs in the morning (10ish) - 140 cals
string cheese and 100cal pack of some sort by noon-2ish - 150 cals
rice cakes or something of that sort around 3-5ish - 120 cals
big chinese dinner around 6-7ish - 900 cals
snack around 9-10ish - 200 cals

and this = 1610... so still lots of room according to my set plan, though as i lose weight that number will be gradually going lower

is that not a sensible plan?

BattleAx
02-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Sometimes I eat 900-1000 calories at dinner. At times, I like a big meal, or I'm going out, and I plan my day around it.

Other days, I eat smaller meals more often.

I also like volume sometimes, so will eat an enormous amount of vegetables.

My feeling is that as long as I'm coming in within my calorie range, it's all ok. I also have to be careful not to get too hungry, so the days of big meals and eating light the rest of the day have to be managed well. It's not always easy.

horsey
02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
In many European countries they still eat quite large lunches, the idea being they'll burn calories throughout the rest of the day. As I'm losing weight I'm afraid of large dinners, I've been eating a little heavier at lunch, cutting the bread and starches if possible at dinner.

TakingBkTheTrumpCard
02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
For me the desire to eat big meals signals that I am seeking security from something that is bothering me. When I deal with the symptom of the problem the desire for large portions disapears. In my case it is often procrastination with a deadline or some other stress in my personal life. This has been hard for me to accept but an inlighting process nevertheless. I am NOT insinuating in anyway that this is true with anyone else...just my personal experience.

beautybooty
02-14-2008, 12:54 AM
yeah kind of always thought that about myself too. but i am pretty happy otherwise so i can't see what i would be trying to heal with food. i definitely think i used to do that at one time, but then i knew i had problems to be worked through. but now it's just satisfying. i dunno. i want to do this right, but i also know that i can't just be perfect right away. it shouldn't matter though as long as i am staying within my calorie goals, though, right?

PhotoChick
02-14-2008, 01:36 AM
Here's the problem I have with saying that I can eat huge portions of low calorie/low fat foods. Note that my use of "you" here is general and not directed at any one person.

When you consume huge portions, you stretch your stomach. When you stretch your stomach, you are creating a situation where it takes more and more and more to satisfy yourself.

A large part of our weight issues in the US have to do with portion control and learning what is "enough" of a food. When you eat overseas, in general and in my experience, portion sizes are MUCH smaller. We, in the US, have a very skewed idea of what is a necessary amount of food to sustain ourselves.

And that's all well and fine if you're going to gorge on broccoli or whatver. But when you're faced with a situation where you need to make healthy choices but don't have a bunch of raw veggies to eat, you're going to have no clue what is a reasonable amount of anything to eat. And even if you eat small, reasonable portions, you're going to be hungry still because you've stretched your stomach and conditioned it to believe that MORE is better.

Which brings me around to another belief I have, which is that most Americans DO believe that "more is better" ... and to me that just reinforces this belief system.

I guess what it boils down to is that I think it's an unhealthy mindset: I will gorge myself on low calorie foods rather than learning what my body really needs/wants.

I found that one of the things that I have enjoyed most about where I am in my journey is being able to ENJOY food again. I don't deprive myself of anything I want, but I also understand that 2 bites of chocolate cake satisfies my craving and I don't have to sit and eat half a cake. I can have a square of really good Swiss or Dutch chocolate instead of eating 4 Three Muskateers. I can actually eat 4 or 5 frenchfries from my husband's lunch, instead of needing to go thru the drivethru and order a SuperSized fries for myself. I now enjoy eating these things because I want the flavor of them, not because I'm eating them in quantity to fill my stomach.

Obviously this is just my take on it and I'm not saying anyone else is wrong ... I just personally believe that learning correct portions is a healthier method.

beautybooty
02-14-2008, 03:56 AM
You made some good points and when I started a month ago I had that mindset... that I wouldn't even gorge on broccoli so as to train my stomach it doesn't need that much. I have just notices that while I may not physically hunger for a lot of food at once, I am still able to eat it (so my stomach hasn't really shrunk much) and I still have a desire to.

And yeah it is mental I am sure, I just feel like if I am keeping my counts down, then it shouldn't be a problem. But then again that could just lead to a binge fest. Maybe I should just try to cut them down gradually. No tiny meals and no huge ones.

Sigh, it's been for weeks, I've lost 10 pounds, and I am just afraid if the weight doesn't continue to shed I will give up.

KforKitty
02-14-2008, 07:39 AM
I eat the bulk of my calories in the evening as I like to have at least one large meal a day and as I work full-time the evening is the only time I get to prepare food. A typical day for me will be:

200 calorie breakfast at 7am
100 calorie snack at 10am
200 lunch at 1pm
100 calorie snack at 3-4pm
600 calorie dinner plus 100/150 calorie 'dessert' at 7pm
50 calories for milk in tea (3-4 cups a day)

Works well for me.

Kitty

JayEll
02-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Hello again!

It is true that as one gets used to eating less, one does feel full with less. This has been my personal experience. I have read that it has to do with the "fullness receptors" in the stomach. They become insensitive if someone is in the habit of eating large amounts of food at meals. They regain sensitivity once someone stays with reasonable portion sizes for a length of time. But it does take time. Once they are back to normal, one doesn't want to eat as much--you get "full" more quickly.

These days, I can't finish most restaurant meals and have to take leftovers home. That's just as well, since a restaurant meal usually has way more calories than I should have at one meal.

Jay

Heather
02-14-2008, 08:38 AM
beautybooty -- It's my opinion that this process is an evolution. Mentally and physically. If you are satisfied and you are losing and generally eating healthy, then having a high calorie meal is probably fine. You are starting at a higher weight and can more easily fit it in your day than someone who weighs less.

You may find as time goes on and you get smaller then that strategy will change, but if you're okay with it now, and if it's helping with the mental game, then I think you're fine. :hug:

rockinrobin
02-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Without a doubt the stomach shrinks. I used to be able to eat... and eat... and eat... , a bottomless pit really. Now, I am amazed by what I get full and satisfied with. And I'm even more amazed how quickly I can get to the "uncomfortable" level.

I do still like my large portions though. I just have switched them to huge portions of veggies and salads. With some protien thrown in there.

I agree with Heather that this process is an evolution and that your eating will therefore evolve. I do wish though that perhaps you can switch up that large portion of dinner to a bit fewer calories and some more healthful foods. A HUGE chicken stir fry. A HUGE grilled chicken salad. A HUGE amount of butternut squash with a piece of salmon. All started off with a BIG bowl of soup. I think you will be pleasantly surprised just how satisfied you can get from these foods.

We need you to "stick" to this new lifestyle so that you can remain losing the weight and get healthy. So of course, only you can know what will do it for you and therefore what will "work" for you.

No talk about giving up, ya hear? You're doing GREAT!!! Just keep at it. Keep tweaking and finding the right formula for you. :)

souvenirdarling
02-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I like big portions but for me, it really was all about the carbs. I do miss the heaping bowl of alfredo pasta, but then again, I don't miss the gross bloated feeling and the gas I had afterward. (That's one problem i don't have while dieting!)

The spaghetti squash suggestion was a good one, whoever made it. Usually, extra veggies aren't very satisfying to me. I really like the texture of squash, it's my main lunch filler right now and is really helpful in satisfying my hunger :)

cbuggin22
02-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I love big portions! Especially carbs, but when you are trying to lose weight you have to come to the understanding that it's really not possible. You have to trick yourself. Use smaller plates so you can fill them up and fill them up with things you should be eating. Like vegetables, fruit, and lean meats. I eat these things first and then by the time I get to the carbs I don't have room to eat a whole lot of them.

PhotoChick
02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
I do agree that it's a process and I think it's important to start off with whatever method lets you see some results and get motivated. But I do think that eventually you'll have to move out of the mindset of being able to eat "big meals" and start learning what a reasonable portion of food is.

That may not happen for another few months, but at some point, in order for the eating habits to be sustainable, I think it'll ultimately be necessary.

A few things that I do that have helped me:

I don't eat off of dinner plates. I eat my entire dinner off of a salad plate instead. It does help what I'm eating look like more, but more importantly, it limits what I can pile onto my plate at one time.

For the first couple of months I religiously weighed and measured EVERYTYHING I put in my mouth. I may have eaten 4 cups of broccoli at a sitting, but I knew exactly what 4 cups of broccoli looked like. And eventually I learned what my plates and bowls and containers looked like with appropriate levels of food in them. Now I know that my small soysauce bowl, for example, holds exactly 1/8 cup of shelled sunflower seeds. So I'll set that out to snack on.

I have learned to savor my food - in two ways: Rather than shovelling in a huge bite and chewing and swallowing nearly whole (which used to result in horrible heartburn), I eat things slowly. I used to laugh at my mom who would take 3 bites to eat a single almond. But you know what - when I do that as opposed to shoving a handful at a time in my mouth the way I used to do, I actually TASTE the almond and enjoy it more. And eating slowly like that means I know when I'm full as opposed to eating past the point of fullness because I'm eating fast.

The other way is that I don't do anything else when I'm eating. I dont' watch TV, I don't surf the net, I don't read a book, I don't do anything that will make eating a mindless something to do *while* doing something else. If I'm going to eat something, I'm going to enjoy it and savor it and pay attention to the food I've chosen.

(Not to say I'm perfect, there are plenty of nights that I eat airpopped popcorn in quantity while watching TV or a movie :) but in general I try to stick to the above as much as possible becuase it helps to keep me accountable to myself.)

HiHoHiHo
02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Are you using fitday or the daily plate to record what you're eating? The typical menu plan you posted looks really low in vitamins (your only fruit+veg is just some green beans?) and high in processed carbs and low in fiber (the snack packs and white rice), and high in salt (rice cakes, cheese, snack packs and chinese food) and very high in fat (chinese food, cheese, eggs and snack packs)

Oh, I'm assuming you are buying the chinese food vs. making your own with no/low fat

I'm glad you're happy with the weight loss progression you're experiencing, but you might want to try a day that has higher fiber + vitamins and lower fat (say, no more than 30% of daily cals) on some days to see if your body reacts to that.

peachcake
02-14-2008, 12:27 PM
I have been "dieting" for 2 weeks and have lost 5 pounds but I am slowly figuring out what works for me. I have found that I have to eat protein throughout the day to keep my energy up. I have also found that I need to get use to eating something before going to the gym or I don't get as good of a workout. It's SO different for everyone. Also, I limit myself to one splurge meal a week. This week it will be pizza at my favorite place with my Dad. I actually have not splurged for almost 2 weeks, but if I only do it once a week then I enjoy it much more than when I was going out to eat 3-4 times a week.

pamatga
02-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Since you are just starting your weight lose journey more than likely you are still eating much like you did before. I know when I first started out the first couple of days were hard because I needed more food than I was getting on my food plan to fill me up. I drank in excess of 100 oz. at that time and I still felt empty.

That time does pass though. It does take awhile and if you resort to a binge before your stomach actually does have time to shrink, you will be back right where you started.

For example, there is a favorite buffet place my DH and I like to go to eat once a week. Two years ago I could fill three dinnner plates with food like looked like a small mountain. NOW, there are times when I am lucky that I have five food items on one dinner plate! It just seemed to happen "naturally" over a period of time. I really didn't force myself to eat less, it evolved.

Again, I think some of the suggestions here are excellent. I am a recovering compulsive overeater ( almost 13 years) and doing the emotional homework really helps in curbing the need to binge or overeat for emotional reasons. I rarely binge these days for emotional reasons. In fact, I think the last time that I binged for an emotional reason was about two years ago. It doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future but I have learned to recognize when I am heading in that direction and I take measures, like posting here on this website, talking to a friend or journaling, so that I only need to eat when my body needs it.

Another important thing that I do is make sure that my trigger foods aren't in the house either so if I have a day where I am more hungry than others, I will eat more of one of the foods on my food plan. If I allow my trigger foods in the house, well........that is just more stress than I need right now in my life. Trigger foods for me are high gylcemic carbs including most processed foods and foods with sugar in them.

I read all of the other posts here. There are a lot of good ideas here. I copied and pasted them for future reference. I understand your desire to see "quick results" but after the initial flush of losing some weight you need to shift gears to looking at this as a long term effort.

Try focussing on your daily meals. Ask yourself if you are eating a well balanced food plan? Are you getting enough of the right nutrients overall? Are you dealing with some of the tough stuff in life in non-food ways? Are you moving more in some kind of activity that will eventually become a part of your new life you are creating? Are you finding sources of inspiration that help you keep motivated?

If you look at this venture as one that is truly life changing then you will see that it will be something that you will want to take your time to learn how to live a new life without excess food and excess weight. I am sure that you will be able to do it.

Don't get discouraged. We are here for you if and when you need us.:hug:

WebRover
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
10 pounds in four weeks is great.:carrot: There's no reason you sholdn't continue to be successful at losing weight,so please don't anticipate getting discouraged and giving up. Finding a way to eat healthily that works for you is part of the journey. Some of the ways you try may not be as successful as you expect. Learn from the experiences and try something else until you find what works for you. Then when you reach your goal weight you'll have set yourself up for success for maintenance. I look forward to reading about your journey.

beautybooty
02-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I do realize that it is indeed a process. At the end of the day though doesn't it just come down to the number of calories? For example, I know it's not healthy to never eat vegetables (which I do, I'm just saying hypothetically) but if a person is still eating the right number of calories shouldn't the weight loss still occur?

PhotoChick - for me it helps me to eat while doing other things. otherwise all i can think about is my food and i eat it too quickly, and then i want more. if i eat while doing other things i am distracted and it takes me longer to eat. for example, i am a gamer and i like to eat while gaming. usually i'll eat so slowly that i don't finish cause i am concentrating on the other stuff i am doing.

for example this was yesterday's food:
290c bagel
250c pita sandwich
154c hard boiled egg (2)
1174c steak and shake (chicken salad, small fry, junior frozen yogurt shake)

granted this was a special event and that's not how i eat every day, but it ended up being 1868c - 200+ calories less than what daily plate has been telling me to eat.

but even when i eat less, like 1500c per day, is a big meal really going to be a big deal? i guess what i really want to know is if eating a few small meals and then one big one is really such a problem if i don't feel hungry. i don't feel starved, and i am still losing weight.

megdula
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
hey i just joined today and i have a question iam eating about 1057 cal a day and iv been fine up until today am i like starvingmyself

JayEll
02-15-2008, 03:10 PM
megdula, you are not eating enough. Best not to go below 1200, as a general rule. Hoover on over to the Calorie Counters forum and read the Frequently Asked Questions sticky post at the top of the forum page. It should give you an idea of what you ought to be eating.

beautybooty, if it's working and you're losing, then don't change it. When and if you stop losing, you'll know some adjustment is needed.

Jay

PhotoChick
02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
At the end of the day though doesn't it just come down to the number of calories?
You'd think! :)

There are so many other things. Yes, number of calories is important, but it's possible to eat a low calorie diet and consume GOBS of fat and carbs. If you do that, you're not going to lose weight. A meal may contain tons of salt (the one you posted above, for example) which will cause you to retain water and bloat.

Is one big meal really going to make a huge difference? The answer there is that it might or it might not. The biggest problem with one huge meal is that the rest of the day you're practically going w/out nutrition. It will affect your insulin levels and your blood sugar badly. Some people do ok with that and some people don't. I do think it's healthier to space your eating out over the day rather than eat the majority of your calories in one meal. Doing it once in a while is fine, but doing it all the time will screw with your metabolism in the long run.

>

JayEll
02-15-2008, 04:42 PM
I look at the question a little differently. Yes, I believe it really does come down to calories in versus calories burned. If a person eats 1200 cals a day in fat, and 1200 cals a day in vegetables, it's still 1200 cals. But! 1200 cals of fat is a lot less food, in sheer bulk, than 1200 cals of vegetables. Think about it--one Tablespoon of butter is 100 cals, roughly. So, 12 Tablespoons of butter and you'd be done for the day.

:yikes:

Clearly, that won't work well. ;) But, if you could stick to it, you wouldn't gain.

The other issue here is NUTRITION, which is separate from weight loss OR weight gain. People can be gaining weight and be malnourished. The idea for healthy weight loss is to make sure the body is getting enough nutrients while restricting calories, so that the body has to burn reserves (mostly, but not all, fat).

If you eat 1200 cals of junk (or butter, for that matter) you are not going to be getting good nutrition--which is a mix of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and minerals and vitamins.

I take extra vitamins and minerals because when restricting calories, it can be hard to get enough nutrients also. Eating enough vegetables helps with this, but I just feel that I need more.

Jay

ennay
02-15-2008, 05:04 PM
I am a big meal eater also, but I come down on the nutrition side. What do I want for my calories. (I am going to use the term "high calorie" rather than big portion, because I can do huge portion and still be <400 cal)

I think every once in awhile having a high calorie meal for dinner and eating lightly the rest of the day is fine. Some times it is a good strategy. I do think that in the long term you are not giving yourself great nutrition eating the examples you have provided if that is how you eat the majority of days. Most of your light meals early in the day are pretty nutritionally light and the dinners are heavy...and nutritionally light.

Pick and choose what and where to have the big meal and make sure it is really worth it. And work to see if you can find ways to improve over time.

Examples:
- instead of eating the whole 900 calorie chinese meal split it in half and add egg drop soup or hotnsour soup or extra veggies or have a salad before you go etc. Then you still have the flavor you love with more nutrition
- if you are getting the chinese to go, at home you can lighten it a bit by either draining the sauce (if it is fairly liquid) or if the meal has a thick clingy sauce, put half the meal in a strainer and rinse the sauce off, then stir it back in to the full meal. (start with 1/4 rinsed and eventually you may be happy with very little of the sauce)
- ask for a large side order of steamed veggies most chinese restaurants can do this. Mix it in to the meal to make 2 meals. I do this with my favorite shrimp dish because the sauce is heavenly over steamed broccoli.

PhotoChick
02-15-2008, 05:24 PM
So, 12 Tablespoons of butter and you'd be done for the day.
And that would be fine if all you were worried about was consuming 1200 calories.

But 12 T of butter has 140 g of fat. And I don't care how few calories you eat, if you consume 140 g of fat per day, you're not going to lose weight.

baffled111
02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
But 12 T of butter has 140 g of fat. And I don't care how few calories you eat, if you consume 140 g of fat per day, you're not going to lose weight. .

Ugh. I don't know whether or not that's true--it might be the most effective, miracle weight loss plan ever--but I'm not going to try it.

Look. Your body needs to be looked after. It needs fuel and it needs love. If you expect it to endure the traumatic process of shedding excess fat then you need to be kind to it. It wants vegetables and protein and good fats and vitamins and iron and all kinds of stuff. When you feed your body properly you FEEL better.

There are a million ways to have food treats periodically or to eat nice big meals without torturing your body or depriving it of the essentials it needs to work properly.

If you treat your body nicely, it just might treat you nicely in return. :)

Megdula: you can eat more calories than that and still lose weight and be healthy. Come over to calorie counters and absorb some of the collective wisdom. :)

JayEll
02-15-2008, 07:59 PM
PhotoChick, I say yes, you say no. I wonder how we could prove it... ;)

No, I'm not going to be the one to eat butter all day and see whether I lose! :lol: It sounds tempting in a way, but I'd want the butter ON something, and therein lies total disaster. :joker:

Jay

PhotoChick
02-15-2008, 08:05 PM
PhotoChick, I say yes, you say no. I wonder how we could prove it... ;)

:lol: Well, I dont' think I want to eat butter all day either.

But there are studies that I remember (dont' remember where, but I"m willing to go looking) that say you can reduce calories all you want but if you don't reduce them in a healthy way, you won't lose weight. It goes the same for fat and carbs. Any diet that concentrates on lowering ONE element and doesn't balance out the rest might have a temporary effect, but won't last long.

I remember one study about Atkins that showed people were eliminating carbs and losing 10 or 15 lbs right off the bat, but then gaining them all back and more as their bodies adapted to being w/out carbs - because they were scarfing down as much as 250 grams of fat per day, eating cheese and bacon and red meat, etc.

Whatever it is you decide to count, you still have to make healthy choices within that range.

(BTW, just so it's clear - I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative - I'm enjoying the discussion and the different points of view here.)

beautybooty
02-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Well it's the kind of thing for me too, where, I know that I need more veggies and fruits but I feel like it's a process for me... I can't go from my old lifestyle of eating macaroni and cheese/pizza only, to less food AND veggies AND fruits AND exercising. I feel like I have gotten the fewer calories part down and it's going to take me some time to get through all of them. People always say it's a little at a time, but even at the end of the day when I do eat the smaller meals (regardless of what they are made of) I always end up eating more, because I am never full.

JayEll
02-15-2008, 09:28 PM
beautybooty, you are up against the challenge of weight loss. These sorts of things are what make it hard. Yes, you can expect to feel hungry sometimes. That's what it's like. Good for you for taking small steps in the right direction! :cheer2: :cheer2: Now you hang in there!

Jay

baffled111
02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
It's alright BB. You're at the beginning of a long and exciting journey: you're going to learn and experiment and improve as you go. You don't need to be perfect right off the bat (thank goodness!). On the other hand, it's important, I think, to spend time pondering a healthy diet that you can live with forever and forever and to make the small changes where you can. But it is a process and you don't have to have it all figured out in advance.

rockinrobin
02-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Beautybooty, I used have what I called a "bottomless pit" of an appetite and believe it or not that has changed for me. BIGTIME!!! I couldn't consume anywhere near the amount of calories I used to consume at one meal, even if I wanted to. The stomach really is like a balloon and it DOES shrink. It won't happen right away, but it will happen. Hang tough.

You say you never get full, I was the same way, that's why I needed to choose foods with HIGH volume and LOW calories. That's where the veggies come into play. Along with a protein. You really will be surprised at just how much more filling these foods are. These type foods are much more satisfying and have lasting power. You don't eat them and then an hour later feel hungry again. And then there's the fact that I eat very OFTEN. Every 2 hours or so. I spread my calories throughout the day, so I can eat frequently, totally AVOIDING that hungry feeling, which I despise. And in doing so, I am able to STICK with my plan.

But yes, this is indeed a process and you need to go about it in a way that will set yourself up for success. STICKING to it is the most important thing. Because if you don't find something that you can stick with, well then, you certainly can't expect to have any longterm success. You'll get there, you'll get there. :)

beautybooty
02-16-2008, 02:29 AM
One thing I have always noticed is that when I eat fruit for breakfast or something it does NOTHING to keep me full. I always kind of thought veggies were that way too. Like, they are good for you, but you'll just end up hungry again.

I do believe I'll get there. I really do. I just don't want to think I am doing a great job if I am not.

rockinrobin
02-16-2008, 07:52 AM
One thing I have always noticed is that when I eat fruit for breakfast or something it does NOTHING to keep me full. I always kind of thought veggies were that way too. Like, they are good for you, but you'll just end up hungry again.

I do believe I'll get there. I really do. I just don't want to think I am doing a great job if I am not.

Beautybooty, it's a combination of veggies and protein that is so filling. Fruit alone is NOT filling, IMO for breakfast. And then if you don't have a HUGE breakfast, and are hungry again, well then EAT again. Have some snacks. We want to avoid feeling hungry. Plan on eating every 2 - 2 1/2 hours or so, more often if need be.

A good hearty stick to the ribs breakfast would be a bowl of oatmeal AND an eggwhite omlette. Or Fat free/sugar free yogurt with berries and some Fiber One Cereal tossed in - I have 2 of them for breakfast, spaced about an hour apart very often. Some cottage cheese and berries and some Fiber One cereal tossed in.

A good hearty lunch - a huge salad with romaine hearts, bell peppers, red onions, cucmbers, grape tomatoes, hearts of palm. Maybe some canned black beans. Throw in some salsa. Add in some grilled chicken or a can of tuna.

A good hearty dinner - A HUGE stir fry with broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower, peppers, onions and carrots. Have it with either chicken, turkey breast or some baked salmon.

Some great snacks to keep you going through the day. You can have 3 or even 4 of them

-Fat free/sugar free yogurt with Fiber One
-Low fat string cheese with 10 pistachios
-Veggie platter with baby carrots, grape tomatoes, string beans, sliced cucumber dipped in a measured amount of hummus or salsa or both.
-a 3 oz. can of tuna and 2 Wasa Crisps
-Cucumber salad -Cabbage salad (shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, lemon juice and a little Splenda)- I make A LOT of both of these salads at a time and have it for a few days and nibble on it throughout the day.
-cleminitines - at about 30-35 calories a piece, you can have a few during the day at any time. Same goes with lady apples.

Anyway, don't you dare think of yourself as not doing a great job, because you are. Like has been said over and over again, this IS a process and you are just starting out. Everything doesn't have to be "perfect" from the start (or ever). Just work on getting those portions and CALORIES in check. You've got plenty of time to change things up as you go along.

Casandra
02-16-2008, 07:59 AM
For those of us who enjoy a good bowl of pasta, I'd like to recommend Tofu Shirataki.

You get a whole 4 oz pack for 3g of carbs and 20~ calories. Of course, you will have to drench these in either a lowfat cheese sauce or veggie rich tomato based gravy, but its well worth the effort. If you want to learn more, just google "tofu shirataki" I got this tip from Hungry Girl.

For instance:

Ingredients:

1 Package Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Tofu Noodles
1/2 Wedge The Laughing Cow Light Cheese
1 teaspoon Fat Free Sour Cream
2 teaspoons Kraft Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper (if desired)

Rinse fettuccine noodles VERY well. Microwave them for one minute, then drain them and pat dry. Add cheeses and sour cream. Mix thoroughly. Microwave to help melt cheese further, and mix some more. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy. Serves 1.

This Fettucine alfredo has just 80 calories per serving, and is only 1 point on Weight Watchers (if you're counting).

(80 Calories, 3g Fat, 242mg Sodium, 9g Carbs, 4g Fiber, <1g Sugars, 4g Protein = 1 Point!!!)

ennay
02-16-2008, 02:24 PM

I never ever eat JUST fruit or JUST veggies. That makes me hungrier than if I had not eaten at all...Like Robin says..with protein. I will stuff a huge amount of sauteed onions, mushrooms, peppers, spinach etc in an eggbeater omelet. My omelets are the 10" frying pan folded in half and sometimes I stuff so many veggies in there that they are 3" tall. CUPS of food. And with eggbeaters and lowfat cheese it works out to ~200 calories - usually less.

Absolutely you will get there. It is all about baby steps. The best way is to look at what you are doing now and say...ok what is ONE thing I can change that might work better. No need to overhaul the whole thing just continual tweaking.

I dont know if that ever stops. I lost about 45 lbs with my morning snack being string cheese and an apple. I weigh less and had to drop my cals a bit so I went to cottage cheese and apple...and then to cottage cheese and 1/2 apple and I usually have that now (although the string cheese is good when I am out and about). Tweak tweak tweak.

I have a dish I love the way you love that chinese dish. So I figured out how to make it at home and I keep refining the recipe and I can make it at home ALMOST as good for way fewer calories (although I do get the real thing occasionally). I had the real thing last night and I think I can tweak my own recipe just a little bit more and it will be perfect. Fortunately my dh likes it and my son loves it. (dd doesnt like anything so she never enters in to the equation of what to make)

beautybooty
02-17-2008, 05:18 PM
rockinrobin - i don't think i mentioned what a picky eater i am. i hate onions, peppers, cottage cheese, and much more, trust me. though I am sure those things you listed could be slightly altered to work for me.

Casandra - i am a texture eater. i have been thinking about these noodles but not sure, they kind of scare me. just how different are they than regular noodles? cause i would be all over them if they were at least remotely like regular noodles.

ennay - that's a good idea to try to make it myself, my own way. or at least something similar. i was just thinking as i was writing this i could make a broccoli, mushroom, rice dish that would probably make me just as happy.

beautybooty
02-17-2008, 05:21 PM
oh i do have one more question though. yesterday i ate about my usual amount of calories and then went out dancing for 2 hours. the amount of dancing i did, when i plugged it into daily plate, dropped my amount of calories i had eaten (once the exercise was subtracted) to below 1000.... does that mean i should have eaten some more? i don't want to work off more calories than what is healthy. does that make sense? i'm just confused, haha any insight would be super

rockinrobin
02-17-2008, 06:00 PM
No, no, no!!! Don't add more calories to your day if you've added in some extra activity. That's EXACTLY what we want - to creat MORE of a deficit through exercise and activity. Some days they'll be more of a deficit, because we did more activity. And by the way there is no way on earth that any website can give you an EXACT amount of calories burned through exercise and activity. They are really just guesstimates.

The amount of calories you've eaten does not change just because you've done some additional exercise. That remains the same. Yes, your calories burned does, but that's okay - that's what we're after. IMO, and it's only just that - my opinion, too many people think because they're exercising that they should therefore increase their calorie intake. I think this should only hold true for people who are doing heavy, heavy exercise - like runners. I keep my calories eaten totally separate from my calories burned. I eat what I eat, and I burn what I burn.

And yes, make your own Chinese Food! I do. I love stir fries. I use a little soy sauce, garlic, ginger, a tad of sugar free apricot preserves to make a yummy oriental type sauce. And I cook up a bunch of veggies and chicken breast. YUMMM. I get an enormous plateful of food at a fraction of the calories I would get had I gone to a Chinese restaurant.

Although cottage cheese is very healthy, you will not see it on my menu either. I just don't like it and won't eat it. So, as far as being picky, you need to experiment with new recipes and tweak current ones to make them less caloric. You need to find different methods of cooking foods that will make them more palatable to you. You need to look around and find foods that you LOVE. The more you enjoy what you're eating, the more apt you are to stay on plan- and that's what we're aiming for - you to STICK with this.

Remember, this is a process and it will take time to get this all down pat. It will take time to find healthy foods that you enjoy. Oh and another great thing - believe it or not, once you start eating this healthy stuff and elminating - the not so healthy stuff - your tastes really will change.

You're doing great Beauty. Just keep at it. Keep it up. Keep your eyes on the prize and remember why you're doing this - to get to a healthy weight and be fit and trim. To improve your quality of life and TO BE ALL THAT YOU CAN BE. And by all means, keep on asking questions. We're all in this together and we're all here to help one another. :hug:

catmalvo
02-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Low calorie high volume. That is the only thing that works for me.

catmalvo
02-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I eat a lot of soup, the progresso light is good. I sip broth throughout the day and add extra veggies to everything. I am a carb addict so I need to trick myself by adding extras to my carbs, and thereby reducing the amount of carbs.

beautybooty
02-18-2008, 04:04 PM
haha ok i didn't think i was supposed to eat more, but i was confused by the whole having a minimum number of calories thing.

and i love the progresso soups too! i think they are great. i too am a carb addict, but slowly, surely i am working my way away from it.

an old favorite of mine: big plate of angel hair pasta with shredded mozz/cheddar on top. mmmm. only had it once since i started dieting, and then i made a reasonable portion.

btw, dropped a few more pounds! 269 today! 13lbs. total! yay!

catmalvo
02-18-2008, 04:25 PM
beautybooty, Is the Avatar you? You are beautiful!
Congrats on your progress!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wR6nkNl/weight.png

Aldebaran
02-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Sorry, didn't read everyone's replies, but have a great tip for you if you like volume. It's a potato dish, and ends up to 130 calories per 100 grams (sorry, I don't know how you giys count calories), which is around a fruit yogurt value.

I had a pound of it, I just couldn't stop (I was also very hungry because I didn't eat for a few hours), and it added up to 650 calories, which is less than 900 :)

It consists of two pounds of pre-cooked and chopped potatoes, half a pound of canned kidney beans, the same of canned corn, two packs of tofu, chopped and stir fried on 5 tbsp of olive oil. You mix it all together in a teflon pan. You can stir fry some peppers or zuchinni or both with the tofu if you wish, it will not drastically change the calorie value. It is yummy, sattisfying, and low calorie! You can also use meat instead of tofu, I'm guessing with turkey breasts it will be absolutely delicious! Have fun!

beautybooty
02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
catmalvo: it is.. thank you! :)

aldebran: that DOES sound good... though I think I would go for the chicken. i will have to write that one down!

PaulaM
02-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Years ago my Dad used to eat the way it sounds like you do. Starve most of the day and then eat a very large meal. Eventually he developed blood sugar problems because your pancreas can't work properly like that, it's very hard on your body. So there's more to it than total number of calories for the day. I would try and space your food out more.

I had trouble the first week or so, was starving all the time and complaining in here about it. It really is true, once you start eating smaller meals you can't eat a big one, cause it just doesn't feel good.

PhotoChick
02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
These are just two studies I found on eating one large meal or "gorging vs. nibbling". If you do a Google search, there are hundreds of studies from hundreds of reputable medical authorities and they all pretty much come to the same conclusion: you can seriously screw up your insulin levels and your cholesterol.

Obviously not EVERYONE is going to have negative results - just like some people can smoke 2 packs a day for 20 years and not get lung cancer. But that doesn't mean it's not an unhealthy habit to get into! :)

http://www.doctoryourself.com/nibbling.html
They discovered glucose tolerance appears to decrease on one meal per day in comparison with the three or six meals daily, whether measured by oral or intravenous tolerance testing. This, it should be recalled, had earlier been observed in obese subjects. Next, serum cholesterol was measurably higher on the one meal per day regimen. Finally, subjective responses on a confidential written questionnaire indicated that approximately 60% of the participants reported an overwhelmingly greater need to sleep after the one large meal experience. A like number commented on the distraction of extreme hunger during the day.
Seven men were assigned in random order to two metabolically identical diets. One regimen consisted of nibbling 17 snacks per day (which incidentally covers the waking hours). The other consumed three meals daily (gorging). Each plan was followed for two weeks. As compared with the three meal scheme, the nibbling plan reduced fasting serum concentrations of total cholesterol about 9%, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (14%) and apolipoprotein B approximately 15%. Of particular note is the fact that the average insulin level decreased about 28%. In addition, the mean 24-hour urinary cortisol excretion was lowered approximately 17%.
he subjects were divided into five groups. One consumed three meals or less per day. The second
ate three to four meals. The third subset ingested three to four meals with in-between snacks. In the fourth category, the consumption was three to four meals with an additional snack prior to bedtime. Finally, the last group consisted of those consuming five or more meals on a daily basis. Table 1 summarizes the results. It can be noted that over-weight, hypercholesterolemia, and diminished glucose-tolerance tend to increase as the frequency of meals decreases. The difference between the extreme groups (I and V) in all parameters is clearly statistically significant.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2008/080215.htm
The first study analysis showed that consuming a one-meal-per-day diet, rather than a traditional three-meal-per-day diet, is feasible for a short duration. It showed that when the volunteers were "one-mealers," they had significant increases in total cholesterol, LDL "bad" cholesterol and in blood pressure, compared to when they were "three-mealers."
Further analysis of the study group showed that when the volunteers were one-mealers, they had higher morning fasting blood sugar levels, higher and more sustained elevations in blood sugar concentrations, and a delayed response to the body's insulin, compared to when they were "three-mealers." Insulin is required to lower blood sugar levels. Those findings were published in the December 2007 issue of Metabolism.

Su-Bee
03-12-2008, 12:47 PM
One great way to have a great big plate of food - make "pasta" with spaghetti squash. 1/2 squash is a GINORMOUS portion that tastes great with a spicy pasta sauce (load the pasta sauce up with lots of vegetables too -shredded zucchini, carrots, mushrooms) with a little sprinkle of parmesan on top - DELISH and HUGE and HEALTHY and GOOD!

I think this is a great example of how different people have very different perceptions of "huge" and "filling."

I have to eat the WHOLE spaghetti squash to get my fix.

PhotoChick
03-12-2008, 01:58 PM
I have to eat the WHOLE spaghetti squash to get my fix.
Doesn't it depend on the size of the squash? I mean I've seen spaghetti squash that are on the small side and I'd definitely eat a whole one by myself. OTOH, in season, I've seen some enormous ones and there's no way I could eat a whole one.

I think it just depends on the part of the country you're in and the season as to the variety and size of the squash you get.

Beach Patrol
03-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Beautybooty.... :hug:

Bless your heart!!! It can all be SO confusing! There is SO MUCH information out there.... and a doggone good bit here at 3FC, too!!

The one thing I keep reminding myself is that I KNOW MY BODY better than anyone. I know what I like, what I don't like, what works for me, & what doesn't. Always remember that what works for Sally might not work for you. And what works for you might not be the thing that works for me. But that's why we're all here! - to learn from each other! - to try different things! - to find that ONE (or 2 or 3 or 4...) trick(s) that make losing weight easier & healthier.

For instance, I do best when I watch my portion size & enjoy ANY FOOD I WANT. To me, that's much easier than having more food of something I don't really enjoy.

I had a chocolate craving around 11:30 this morning. Instead of getting crazy & having TOO MUCH, or driving myself crazy & having NONE.... I chose a tiny little one-bite serving size of a 3-Muskateers bar. SATISFIED ME! ;) Now, some other people can't do that... if they have ONE little bite, they'll have another & another & another, & just binge.

I noticed that in your postings (in this thread) you haven't said what you DRINK. Don't forget, that unless you're drinking water or no-calorie soda, you are also ingesting calories that way.

By the way, 13 pounds are GONE! YAY! - and why are they gone?
Because YOU ARE DOING IT!!!! :cp: :carrot:

BrandNewJen
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I definitely am a VOLUME eater... and I definitely am someone who LOVES dinner foods... I can do without breakfast and lunch foods without an issue... it's DINNER--- real wholesome food--- that I can't live without.

So I eat small low calorie ALL day... And plan a BIG dinner. I'm eating appx 1700 calories a day... I eat when I'm HUNGRY not at prescribed times (that got me in trouble- eating when I HAD to versus eating when I NEEDED to) I'm lu cky that I have a job where I can eat when the need arises, not when the boss tells me to.

So usually I will eat my first bit of food around 10:30am (I wake up at 8 and am at work by 9). Between the hours of 9-5 I eat: an apple, a banana, a sugar free chocolate pudding cup, a light mozzerella string cheese.

That brings my calories to about: 310 by the time I go home from work.

When I get home I make myself something to eat, but not "dinner" yet--- Usually a giant bowl of broccoli with spray butter (like 50 calories) or a small bowl of oatmeal (200 calories) or something like that. Just something to tide me over.

Then I eat a BIG dinner with my hubby when he gets home from work at 9:30pm. Obviously, as you can tell, 300 calories during the day with maybe 200 calories more when I get home = 1200 calories for dinner. That's a hefty dinner.

But it works for me. I can make it through the day by eating when I feel hungry. Small things 4 times during the workday. One slightly bigger thing when I get home. And my big dinner at night.

(it also keeps the late-night munchies away!!)

Plus, I work that schedule because sometimes I'm not super hungry by the time late night rolls around so I'll have a low calorie salad with grilled chicken... and have some cookies. Or some other treat that is bad calorie wise, but since I waited all day, I have enough calories to spare.

Again-- it works for ME... other people NEED big breakfasts or lunches to get them through the day. I'm lucky.

I've lost about 2 pounds a week on average since I started at the beginning of January. I haven't worked exercising into my routine yet. So, my eating might change once I need to be fueled up to power an hour of exercise after work...

But for now, it works. Some people might think I'm crazy... but I'm getting my nutrition... it's just that the majority of it is in one big meal.

I take care of my VOLUME need by having a giant meal and making sure I ALWAYS have a lot of veggies with it. I like being full.