Old 02-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #1  
The Last 10lbs!

Default Going to the Pub Tomorrow...

...and was out for lunch today as well! As much as I love getting together with my friends after class, this is getting expensive and isn't very good for my WW! I calculated out roughly the amount of points I had today for lunch (had a grilled steak wrap with asian salad greens and an orange-y dressing - very good! but then I had chips too... sigh) but am worried about what to get tomorrow. Does anyone have the dining out guide with a pub in it they might be able to recommend something from that might give me an idea? It doesn't have a big menu, but I know there is a caesar salad there. On the generic food list of points I've found, it says it's 7 points for 3 cups of salad, which I'm guessing is probably the size of it, and that might be on the generous side. This isn't so bad if I axe the croutons and push aside the parmesan cheese shreddings. If I had this with grilled chicken on top (say 3 more points there) it would be okay for dinner if it is indeed just 7 points for the salad even though it's a creamy dressing.

It is traditional English food though - so will stay away from the chicken pie, bangers & mash, etc. Anyway, just wondering if someone might be able to offer some advice!

Have planned out tomorrow's lunch and will be taking it with me so that I don't go overboard by eating an unhealthy campus sandwich at lunch! That, at least, might be a bit of a saving grace.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Last edited by freedomreins; 02-13-2008 at 04:19 PM.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Why not have a green salad, with a low-fat vinaigrette or dressing on the side? If they can make a Caesar, they can do you a green salad! Don't be afraid to ask for things differently - if you must have the Caesar, ask for it WITHOUT croutons and parmesan - there you go, no temptation, no bother! Better yet, based on what you've suggested, I'd ask for grilled chicken with a green side salad

Good luck, and don't set yourself up to fail - be prepared to ask for what you want!
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 312.0/ticker/212.0

Height: 6'0"

Here is the guidelines I use for a ceasar (this is from Crispers)

Caesar, Small * (10 oz) (400 cal/33 g fat/5 g fiber/18 g carbs) 10 points
steph0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #4  
The Last 10lbs!

Thanks Steph and Heather See, I would quite happily ask for a green salad... but I don't really like salads except Caesar ones. I would rather use a few flex points in order to enjoy what I'm paying for (being a poor student and all! ). I will see what other salads they have, though, because if I have it with the chicken, I probably won't be so unhappy eating it, hehe. I will definitely order it without croutons and without the parmesan. That is a good idea, asking for it without so it's not there to tempt me!

Last edited by freedomreins; 02-13-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 312.0/ticker/212.0

Height: 6'0"

You can also ask for the dressing on the side and dip your fork into the dressing then into the salad, it really helps with creamy dressing to not eat as much. I am a thousand island girl so I had to try it when someone suggested it to me and sure enough--it works!!
steph0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #6  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Dressing on the side. They can do that with caesar as well. I wrote the points on all of our dressings in the fridge, and surprisingly thous. islands was the lowest of the regulars! Love it!

I just googled "traditional english pub food" and was looking at a menu, I can see the challenge!! This pub did have some seafood dinners that weren't breaded and fried, they also had a vegetarian pizza, I would consider and a bowl of a nice non-creamy soup is a good starter, fills you up so you won't eat too much of the other stuff.

Whatever happens, you get back on your program at the next meal and learn from your experience.

We're going out for wings at an Irish pub tomorrow night, I'll have a bowl of soup before and get back on track Friday.

Have fun!

Last edited by kelijpa; 02-13-2008 at 05:28 PM.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #7  
The Last 10lbs!

More good ideas. I like the one about dipping the fork into the dressing beforehand. When I said this pub had a small menu, I mean, a really small menu, so sadly it's not the best as far as choice goes. This one certainly doesn't have vegetarian pizza, otherwise that probably would have been my first choice. Thanks again guys With lunch and breakfast, I have 11 points to spend on dinner and don't mind using some flex points for a night out with the girls (our Valentine's day celebration for singletons!).