Weight Loss Support - My Top Ten Reasons to Lose it and Keep it Off!

bruniQ
02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
:wave:Hey everyone,

I shared this Top Ten List with a diet buddy and I want to share it with all of you -- hoping to share continuing motivation and inspiration.

Since my teen days, I remember thinking of dieting as a temporary fix, and keeping that uninformed mindset into my thirties and forties. Well, they say that the universe shows you the same lesson until you get it! I can wholeheartedly say that I got it now. Being on the South Beach has taught me discipline with all of those things that I used to scarf down my throat! Bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes were my biggest downfalls. Those first two weeks you have to give those up and it was hardcore discipline for someone like me!

What do you mean a half cup of rice is 1 serving?! I'm Spanish, and every Spanish person I know fills their dinner plate half full of rice! That's got to be about a cup and a half or two!!

Is it any wonder that all of that rice caught up with me?

Well, without further delay, here are my TOP 10 reasons to go the distance and beyond this time:

1. It hurts my knees!

2. Embarrassed to get out of breath on one flight of stairs (and fake breathing normally when I'm ready to gasp for breath!)

3. Clothes Shopping - tired of scouring stores for clothes that resemble something other than a box figure!

4. Because of #3, feeling frumpy and unsexy

5. Under all of my layers - I'm a social butterfly at heart, trapped inside the window -- and I want to be free, I want to want to socialize again!

6. It hurts my knees

7. I'm tired of being the biggest person in the room with my family or group of friends.

8. Want to stop feeling horrible about my weight - and have a weight I feel good about.

9. Want to feel comfortable, energetic, sexy again with my husband (intimately).

10. IT HURTS MY KNEES! Sheesh!

A toast, TO US - to every pound we've shed and will shed.

Cheers (clink)

Best,
B

Lovely
02-13-2008, 01:44 PM
:cp: :cp: :cp:

bruniQ
02-13-2008, 01:47 PM
heeeheeee! :taking a bow:

Thanks Faerie :-)

Lovely
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Ahh! I forgot the toast!!!

:hat: :hat: :hat:

tleef
02-13-2008, 02:32 PM
First of all congratulations on "seeing the lighter side". I hope you not only succeed in your own life but continue to be an inspiration by spreading around what you know about how "DIET is a four-letter word" and this takes LIFESTYLE CHANGE! Anyone who understands that (IMO) is half way there!

My top tens looks like this, I want to go the distance and beyond because:

#10 - Being obese hurts my back!

#9 - I want to look nice in a bathing suit (not looking for Batwatch here...but just nice)!

#8 - I want to teach my already teenaged daughter that you can change your life at any point and live healthy!

#7 - I want to feel sexier!

#6 - I am going to love shopping for cute outfits in a size 8!

#5 - I don't want to be obese anymore!

#4 - I'm tired of being the largest of all of my friends!

#3 - I won't feel like I have to "suck in" when I'm supposed to be relaxing during a massage (be it from a professional or my SO)

#2 - I want to not only be around long enough to see my grandchildren, but also to play an "active" roll in their lives...I want to be able to chase them around the backyard

#1 - I want to LOOK like the princess I FEEL like in my wedding dress!

I'd love to hear other people's top tens as well!

Cheers, Tamara

LookingForHope
02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
BruniQ said:

7. I'm tired of being the biggest person in the room with my family or group of friends.

I read this and thought--Wow! someone else does this too.

Anytime I went somewhere before I started losing weight, I would scan the room to see if I was the biggest person there. Usually, yes. If I wasn't, it was like a sigh of relief. If I was the biggest, I couldn't enjoy whatever I was doing because I felt like a spotlight was shining down on my head.

While I still have a lot of weight loss to go, I don't find myself doing this anymore.

Love your top ten list. Really hit home for me. :hug:
Lisa

bruniQ
02-13-2008, 06:41 PM
clink! :-)

bruniQ
02-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi tleef,

I don't mind at all, in fact, I welcome everyone -- I love your #1 -- so sweet, and ditto to #9 - though I really can't imagine it right now :-)

hang in there, you can do it!

TO US!

Best,
b

bruniQ
02-13-2008, 06:49 PM
hi lisa,

that's what I love about 3FC -- the realization that we are not alone... and that in itself goes such a long way to helping us succeed in this quest.

I love your mini goal ticker -- great idea. I'm gonna borrow it if you don't mind! :-)

We are doing this - and we're going the distance!

To US!

best,
b

TakingBkTheTrumpCard
02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
You have inspired me to make my own list...Thanks and cheers!!

polkadotfever
02-14-2008, 09:36 AM
i like this thread. here's my list.

10) being overweight hurts my knees and ankles

9) i'm sick and tired of being sick and tired

8) i want shopping to be a fun experience again

7) i'm tired of listening to myself complain about my weight

6) i want to look the same as the way i see myself in my mind

5) i want my life to be an adventure. not a game of avoidance.

4) i love myself enough to do it and i deserve to be happy

3) i want to shock and impress my doctor at my checkup in 6 months

2) i want to look good in clothes again, not hide in them

1) did i mention i deserve to be happy? cause i do! :D

cbuggin22
02-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I love this! Here's my Top 10:

1) Being comfortable with myself

2) Being Healthy

3) Getting rid of my back pain

4) Not shopping in the Plus Size section

5) I want to be more active with my kids

6) I want to WOW my husband (kind of shallow, I know)

7) I want to go on vacation without worrying about wearing a bathing suit

8) Break the cycle of overweightness in my family

9) Teach my kids healthy habits

10) Get any haircut I want without worrying how it will make my body look

These aren't in any specific order. I want to achieve all of them.

Chrissy

bruniQ
02-14-2008, 11:29 AM
hey taking back the trump card,

I'm so glad! Please share with us when you complete it!

best,
b

bruniQ
02-14-2008, 11:33 AM
hey polkadotfever, thanks for posting! your #5 is so awesome! "a life of adventure and not of avoidance"! I love it!

We can do this!

TO US!

best, b

bruniQ
02-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Hiya Chrissy,

Thanks for posting! Plus size shopping -- arrggghhhh --- with you all the way.

#8 - awesome!

#10 - LOL! I used to love short haircuts but have let my hair grow because my face is TOO round! I look forward to a haircut too!

#6 - is not shallow -- it's romantic! :-)

We are doing this!

best,
b

peachcake
02-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Oh boy, there are so many reasons for me!

#10- Not have to worry if the XL fits me and if I need to go into the plus size section (I am currently in between)
#9- Not have to look around and see if I am the fattest person around (the other day I actually said, wow, I'm not the fattest person here today, which is awful to think)
#8- I want to feel confident about myself with men. I am single and I feel like I don't want to date because I am a fat girl and can't get a decent guy.
#7- I want my family to be proud of me
#6- I'm tired of being the fattest person (almost) at my family BBQ's
#5- I don't want to feel embarassed about eating, now if I eat something bad for me I think people are watching me saying "she obviously eats here too often!"
#4- I also want to look decent in a bathing suit. I'll never be in a bikini but I want to be able to feel confident and maybe even turn some heads.
#3- When I get married and have kids someday I want to be healthy so it will be easier, and my babies will be healthy.
#2- I want to be the one IN the picture, not the one who insists on being behind the camera.
#1- I want to do it for my long term health. I want to feel good and not die at a young age.

Ija
02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Wow, I can certainly identify about it hurting your knees. I was only 20 when I started to notice that my knees weren't happy with my weight. Here's my list, in no particular order:

1. I want to ride the Magnum XL 200 at Cedar Point, which I found out (embarrassingly) last summer I can not fit on

2. I don't want to be on 6,523,910 medications when I'm 50

3. Lights on, you know...

4. I want to stop running from cameras

5. The feeling of normalcy

6. I want to be a role model for my family and friends who are struggling with weight problems and feel like there is no hope for them

7. So that my sister and I actually look related (At my highest weight I was exactly twice her size)

8. I want to actually button my lab coat

9. Just to feel good for a change

10. Single digit sizes!

lumifan4ever
02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Wow...those are great reasons. I'd love to add my own. Of course, i'm almost at my goal weight but i'd love to add why i chose to lose the weight.

1) so my children wouldn't be embarressed to have "the fat mom".
2) to look better in my clothes
3) to attract the type of man i wanted (who wants an attractive,slim woman)
4) to wear a two peice bathing suit (or at least not a dress suit)
5) to fit in the rides at six flags without being embarressed
6) to avoid the same health problems my mom is having with her legs
7) to feel young longer...not feel like i'm in my 50's instead of my 30's.
8) to wear cuter clothes
9) to "feel" sexy
10) to not look older than my age due to weight gain.

Most seem to be pretty vain but considering i wasn't really having much health issues due to my weight...i guess most of it was for vanity reasons. But hey...there's nothing wrong with that either, is there??? lol. But for practical purposes, i know that health problems would be somewhere down the road if i didn't go ahead and put a stop to it now anyways.

bruniQ
02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
:val1:Happy Valentine's Day Peachcake,

You are so awesome -- I think it's great that you are doing this now in your early twenties instead of letting it go unchecked for another moment! That's the way to to :bravo:

your list is great. I can relate to all of them, especially #9 & 10.

but #8 - wow - that really struck a chord with me... although it's not with men, I'm happily married and will be celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary in August.

but it rings so true with me because I have been looking for a permanent position since last year... I send my resume, get the interview, present all of my qualifications, and a week or two later.... get the dreaded regrets!

meantime, I see some of the other applicants -- almost all smaller than me,
and my confidence has sunk to an all time low because I believe my weight is the issue!

so many reasons to GO THE DISTANCE THIS TIME!

WE ARE DOING THIS,

best,
b

veracitarella
02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
lol! i totally agree about the rice.
i've been craving puerto rican cuisine lately - especially the yellow rice and beans.
looooove rice. prefer it over chocolate. :dizzy:

WebRover
02-14-2008, 12:11 PM
1. I want normal cholesterol and other blood readings
2. I want to enjoy clothes shopping
3. I want to climb stairs and do other casual exercise without thinking twice about it
4. I want to look at a photo of me and be concerned about whether I smiled instead of whether I sucked in my middle (ha ha like I could suck it in enough to be happy with the results - but I'm getting there.)
5. I want to walk past a reflective window or mirror and be pleasantly surprised
6. I want someone to notice that I've lost weight who didn't know I was working on it and just tell me I look GREAT.
7. I want to be healthy.
8. I want to be maintaining at a maintenence weight so all the clothes in my closet fit.
9. I want to look good.
10. I want to feel good.

Great thread

bruniQ
02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
:val1: Happy Valentine's Day --
hi vera,

a half a cup of rice vera! can you imagine:?: a half a cup of rice is about 125 calories -- now -- let's look at that half a plate of rice with new eyes!
375 calories for about a cup and a half! without the beans or meat!!!!:fr:

On top of it, I had developed a big chocolate habit! Every night after dinner!

Hershey's Kissables
M&M Peanut
Rolos
100 Grand
:chockiss: Hershey's Kisses

please don't read this and think YUM -- that's what got me to 226!

:nono: but not for the past month, or next month, or many many months to come!

WE ARE DOING THIS!:goodvibes

best,
b

suitejudyblueeyes
02-14-2008, 12:27 PM
This is a very good thread! It's always good to take a minute to refocus your attention on WHY you're doing what you're doing, and where you want to go in life...

Here's mine, in no real order.
1. To be healthy enough to have a healthy pregnancy when that time comes.
2. To not develop diabetes and gallbladder issues as is the norm in my family.
3. To actually have real choice when I go shopping for clothes.
4. To lead a healthy, active lifestyle...
5. ...that sets a good example for my future kids.
6. To be an inspiration to others, knowingly or unknowingly, who are facing similar challenges.
7. To feel like I'm treating my body how it deserves to be treated.
8. To have more energy for routine things, and then some left over for new adventures!
9. To not feel self-conscious about weight in social situations.
10. To eventually become a lifetime WW member so I don't have to keep paying monthly fees :lol:

Janis427
02-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Drina, That happened to me at Universal Studios on the Flying Dragons ride. That was the most embarrishimg time of my life!!

1. I want to fit in to my favorite clothes
2. I want to beable to go swimming in my pool someday.
3. I want to beable to climb the stairs without feeling like I am climbing a mountain
4. I want to beable to run along side my dog on the agility course.
5. I want to not worry if I am going to break those plastic patio chairs.
6. I want to shop in more store other than C.J Banks.
7. I want to see a reflection in the mirroe that I like
8. I want my back to stop hurting
9. I want my feet to stop hurting
10.I want my cat to stop thinking my stomach is a pillow to knead on.

SCraver
02-14-2008, 12:54 PM
My top Ten:

1. I want to look great in summer clothes (Sundresses, bikini's, etc.)
2. I want to get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy (maybe this should be #1?)
3. I want to wear boots that come up to my knees (calfs are too fat right now)
4. I want to look good in white pants
5. I want everyone to go "wow! You look great!"
6. I want to be healthy and do what I can to avoid the high cholosterol and Type 2 diabetes that runs in BOTH sides of my family
7. I want clothes shopping to be easier
8. I want to have good habits to teach to my kids one day
9. I don't want to ever be heald back (career wise) because of someone judging me for being over weight
10. I am just all done being fat now.

SCraver
02-14-2008, 12:59 PM
5. I want to not worry if I am going to break those plastic patio chairs.

I am sorry... but I do not think they make those chairs (or the canvas ones that fold up) for anyone that weighs more than 120!! :dunno:
I am always afraid I am going to rip right through the canvas ones... ~sigh~

bruniQ
02-14-2008, 01:01 PM
:val1:Happy Valentine's Day - to all of us who want to make our inner beauty visible!

lumifan4ever: congratulations! :cp: you've done so awesome! and you're right -- weight tends to make us look older! post your before and after pictures for us would you? would love to see the difference! I've taken my before pics to have them ready for when that special day arrives!

Drina: Thanks for posting -- I love your number #6. I hope to inspire my niece, who is too beautiful and too young to be as heavy as she is -- like so many moms, she thinks of herself last.

Webrover: :yikes: <----that's me when I see my reflection all of a sudden! I see it and think "who is that!" but -- it won't be that way for another year --:nono: -- not for you and not for me :)

suitejudyblueeyes: :thanks: I encourage everyone to print their lists and put then somewhere where they will see it every day -- I keep a copy right on my sofa table (the area where I've done so much damage with :m:chocolate while watching favorite shows and movies!:eek:). I love your entire list! :)

A toast :cheers: TO US! WE ARE DOING THIS!

best,
b

Tavinni
02-14-2008, 01:06 PM
I want to join this thread too! ;)

Here are my 10 things

1. I want to look my age, I am 24 and the extra weight makes me look closer to 30.

2. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family, so does high blood pressure

3. I want to have kids one day (I have PCOS, and I don't know if I can)

4. I want to attract men closer to my age.

5. I love to dance! and I want to continue to be able to.

6. I want to go on a rollercoaster and not be afraid that I am not going to fit in the seat.

7. I want to be an examples for others around me who are struggling with their weight.

8. I don't want to feel like the "ugly" friend.

9. I don't want to be the fat sister/cousin/daughter/grandaughter anymore.

10. I want people to see me more for who I am and not be distracted by what I look like.

Those are my ten :cool:

Even tough I am celebrating a Valentines Day single I love the holiday! I hope everyone is having a great Valentines Day! :val1:

bruniQ
02-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Happy Valentine's Day to Everyone :val1:

Hi SCarver, thanks for posting.... white pants! wow - just had a memory of myself in white pants -- I felt really good back then! -- and I'm rooting for you, I'm rooting for us!:cheer:

I'm feeling your #9 :(- can't prove it - but feel it! But not for long,:no: -- uh - uh, we are doing something about it! high 5:high:

Tavinni: :^:Your post just pulls at my heart strings -- it is so awesome that you are taking the bull by the horns now -- and confronting this situation with action! Tavinni - I dedicate this song to YOU!

I hope you dance:

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some **** bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance

I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)

Dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

:yes:

TO US!:cheers: WE ARE DOING THIS! :celebrate:

BEST,
B

tleef
02-14-2008, 05:32 PM
bruinQ: I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread and being so supportive.

You Rock!

Tamara

bruniQ
02-14-2008, 05:51 PM
thanks tamara -- it's been great and I'm thinking of posting it again as Top 10 Reason to go the Distance - Part II :)

:hug: best, b

cakses
02-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't have an official thought out list, so I'll just pick 10 that come to mind:

1. To be as attractive as my husband. When we first started dating we were the same weight (140lbs) and he's a bit taller. Ever since I was 21, I've been so much bigger that we look weird together as a couple. That's shallow and not at ALL how he feels, but I always feel people look at us and say "Why?"

2. For my own health. I want to be able to run, swim, bike, take my kids hiking, etc. without having to stop to catch my breath or feel like I can't do it. I want my family to remain active and healthy, so I have to set the example for my kids.

3. Airplane seats....do I really have to go on? Are they getting SMALLER or what? LOL....I doubt they are. Next time I fly I want there to be PLENTY of room for me to put the seatbelt on and not feel like I am spiling over into the next person's seat especially when it is a stranger!

4. My class reunion (10 year) is sometime this year, most likely November. Another shallow one, but I don't want people to ever feel sorry for me. I love my life, even though it's incredibly stressful and I want people to see me for who I am not what I weigh.

5. Summer is when my husband comes home for R&R from Iraq. He will have been gone for 11 months at that point, and I want him to pass out from shock when he sees me at the airport. I mean really (almost) die of shock!

6. I want to wear a size in clothing that is normally stocked at any store. I don't want to go into the Gap and wonder if they sell size 16s ever again, or be embarrased to ask the salesperson if they have any of my size in the back. I want it to just be a question without shame. "Do you have these in a size 8?"....that will feel awesome!

7. I want to feel sexy again. It's slowly coming back, but I want to really have that confidence back that used to be there. Not just for me, but for my husband's sake too.

8. I want to buy a bathing suit that compliments my figure, not one that covers the most. I don't know if I will ever be bikini ready, but a one piece can look nice on a smaller person.

9. I want to underwear shop and not have to worry about "control top" anything. I want to wear those skimpy things again that I used to wear when I was 19.

10. I want the sense of accomplishment that I did it. I took control of my life, and didn't let food rule me. I want my body to be a testament to others who are struggling with weight loss that it can be done, because if I can do it anyone can.

cbuggin22
02-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Cakes - I totally feel your #1 and #7. Glad to know I'm not the only one that wants to be sexy for their man...I'm sure every woman does, but it feels like a shallow goal sometimes.

bruniQ
02-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi Cakses and cbuggin,

in my humble opinion, if your reasons are meaningful to you, then they are not shallow :-)

To Success in the Quest!

best,
b

Tavinni
02-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Tavinni: :^:Your post just pulls at my heart strings -- it is so awesome that you are taking the bull by the horns now -- and confronting this situation with action! Tavinni - I dedicate this song to YOU!

I hope you dance:

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you dance
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some **** bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance

I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

Dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

(Tell me who)
I hope you dance

TO US!:cheers: WE ARE DOING THIS! :celebrate:

BEST,
B

Aww thanks so much BruniQ for your support, I love that song! Definately a song that I can relate to.

almostheaven
02-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Mine were:

1. Being healthy
2. Not being so tired all the time
3. Avoiding the diabetes and other health complications that run in my family from family members being so much overweight
4. Living longer
5. Better quality of life
6. Buying clothes off the $3 rack
7. Not complaining about how the clothes fit when in reality it was how I didn't fit the clothes
8. NOT seeing my tummy ;)
9. Being able to fit in smaller places, planes, bathroom stalls, small cars
10. And not having to squeeze out of small places when the jerk next to me parks so ya gotta have a canopener to enter/exit your vehicle. ;)

bruniQ
02-16-2008, 03:12 PM
:)lol almost heaven,

you made me think of those parts I can't see:censored:

best,
b

dgramie
02-16-2008, 03:33 PM
10- going off blood pressure medicine

9-not having to wear granny panties

8- not having my ankle swell

7-being able to fit into small booths

6- feel good about myself

5- finding my muscle under the fat...(i know its there somewhere)

4- be able to wear cute clothing

3- not have to worry about my heart

2- have lots of energy to chase grandkids( 1st due in oct.)

1-looking awesome when my daughters marry

bruniQ
02-16-2008, 03:58 PM
hi again debimitch :-)

I hope you knock em dead at the wedding and I hope your grandkids get pooped before you do! heeheeee

So how's it going? How are along are ya?

best,
b

Nori71
02-16-2008, 04:26 PM
5) i want my life to be an adventure. not a game of avoidance.

5. Summer is when my husband comes home for R&R from Iraq. He will have been gone for 11 months at that point, and I want him to pass out from shock when he sees me at the airport. I mean really (almost) die of shock!I cannot wait to hear how this goes when he gets home!!