Exercise! - Starting C25k Mar 1 - Anyone with me?

Amarie2pt0
02-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi!

So, after much inspiration from some fabulous folks on here I have decided to start the Couch to 5K running program on March 1st. Anyone interested in joining me? It would be great to have support from others going through the same steps.

I've got a half a month to get ready (eg get my doc's OK, make sure my shoes are in good enough shape, get more walking in...) I am so excited! I'm committed to getting going slowly, and not pushing myself too far too fast.

:carrot: I hope you'll join me!

Amarie

zinkemomx2
02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I'll think about it. I have been trying to incorporate a bit more interval training on the treadmill. Monday I did 2 spurts about 2-3 minutes each of jogging. Then I about collapsed. Let me ponder for a while and I might be convinced.

GirlyGirlSebas
02-13-2008, 01:47 PM
I've been considering this for a while, so, yes, I will join you.

Amarie2pt0
02-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Yay! :yay:

caitbeans
02-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I will join you, i did day one, week on last Friday, but have been unable to make it to the gym becuase of weather and school- but I will do it with you!

Zen Pharmacy
02-13-2008, 04:00 PM
I'll join in! I've been debating the C25K for a little while now, and just haven't taken that extra push to actually do it.

I've helped out with several benefit races in town and always wanted to do it.

Yay for accountability.

jmb1981
02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
i might want to do it, but i have no idea what it is. what is it all about?? is there somewhere that i can find out more information??

Amarie2pt0
02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi! Can't remember the url, but you can just google "couch to 5K" I think the site is called cool running, or something like.

Also, uber excited that you can dowload free podcasts on itunes that a guy put together when he did c25k - with cues!

HeatherAngel
02-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Remember - slow, slow, slow - like turtles, ladies!! Best advice given to me, and absolutely true. You just have to run, not run like Carl Lewis! Your body WANTS to do this - you know it does! ;) - but if you do too much, too fast, too soon, you will end up injured and hating it, or worse, convinced that 'I'm not a runner'!

Good luck ladies - you can always repeat days, weeks, whatever - that's what's so awesome about the programme - HAVE FUN!! :yes:

EDIT: For those that don't know me at all - I was SO NOT athletic in ANY way. EVER. I started the C25K the first week of June '07, weighing over 240lbs. It was hard, but I stuck with it. I credit my running with keeping my weight loss going, for sure! I now run an average of about 15-20 miles a week :D Yes, ME! It can be done - good for ALL of you for committing to this! The C25K changed my journey, and my life. Corny, but absolutely true! ;)

RaluCat
02-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I would love to join you all!

Amarie, will you outline a plan/time line? And should we reach the 5k on treadmill or on track/trail/outside?

Can't wait to start running, cause I'm just a fast walker now (4 m/h)

zinkemomx2
02-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I said earlier I was pondering this. Heck with it! I am going to commit. Lets do IT!!

GirlyGirlSebas
02-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I said earlier I was pondering this. Heck with it! I am going to commit. Lets do IT!!

Yay! I'm very excited about this! Thanks for pulling us together, Amarie. Its so much more fun to have a group to share this new venture.

Heatherangel, Thank you for your encouragement. Yes, I do know you. I've read some of your posts about running. I credit you and Lisamarie for getting me thinking about this again. 20 years ago, I used to run 5 miles a day. Can you believe that I have actual dreams that I'm running again? Yep, I'm excited! And, the weight loss will be the icing on the cake.:D

Amarie2pt0
02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Yay! :yay: I am so excited! Thank you everyone for joining! This is going to be so much more fun than going it alone.

Heather - thank you sooooo much for your great advice! Any chance you'd be willing to be our C25K running angel? I know I'd love to have someone who has done the program around to help keep me on track (or treadmill) :lol:

All - I will be happy to put together a plan :) I was thinking we could start a thread each week with the week's schedule and can post about how we all do. I think it should be up to each of us to figure out how/when/where we are best able to do the actual activity.

So fun! I'm bouncing in my chair writing this!

karmuz
02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I am SO in!!
I was planning on starting Feb 1st - I'm all ready to go, new but already broken in shoes, all the podcasts downloaded to my phone (it has an mp3 player) but I had to give up my gym membership for financial reasons so i'm going to have to brave the cold outside and right now it's just a little TOO cold. hopefully march 1 will be warm enough(though wet the way things are going!)
theres a track at a park down the road from my house, and i'm going to start there but hopefully will build up to where i'm running TO the park and back (it's about 1.5 miles away)

dixied
02-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Count me in! I started it before, but I've gotten sidetracked. I'm attaching the C25K schedule that I borrowed off of coolrunning, if it helps anyone. I'm going to laminate mine and tape it to the treadmill. I use the podcast when I'm outside, but lately I've been indoors. Which surface do ya'll plan on running on, track or treadmill?

LeedaRenee
02-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Good luck ladies! Couch to 5k has also made me do things that I never thought possible. I just ran my first 10k! I am slow, but get faster everyday! Ya'll can do it!!!

Diva
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I just restarted week 1 and finished day 2 today but it's a struggle and I imagine I am going to have to repeat this week a time or two until I can adjust. I have a bad leg and foot so I have to build up slowly, so I'll join y'all too! YAY! I'm doing it on a treadmill and I can't go any faster than 3.5 and that just makes me sad. :dizzy:

zinkemomx2
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I'll be on the treadmill until spring. We won't thaw enough here to run outside until about April and that is if I am lucky.

I can easily walk the 3.5-3.7 mph when I'm up to it. And when I do my intervals I can jog at 4.5-4.7 for about 2 minutes on a good day the first time around. Every time after that I jog though I lose about .2mph.

I soooo wish I had a new treadmill. Mine is a 3rd time hand me down with manual incline and a dial to change the speed. I used to love reading while I walked and on this treadmill there is nowhere to put a book without accidentally bumping the knob and either slowing yourself to a crawl of flinging yourself off the end when suddenly you are going 8mph. Not fun or recommended, lol.

I am going to spend the next week working on WATP Walk and Jog and then try jogging more on the treadmill.

Amarie2pt0
02-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Dixie - awesome! thanks for posting the PDF. I will be outside on sidewalks... at least I will try. Otherwise treadmill.

Just 13 days left till March! Hahahah

NoVaVTFan
02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
To anyone who is thinking of doing the C25K - DO IT DO IT DO IT!! I started the C25K on January 2, and I am now on week 6 of 9 and I have to say I LOVE IT!! I have tried multiple times during my 25 years to run, but I never did it correctly - I tried too fast too quickly. I was determined to get really serious about exercise at the turn of this new year, and I thought the c25k was perfect for getting serious. I was really scared at first, and the first 2 weeks was really hard (I had been walking and doing WATP videos and the elliptical before that so I wasn't completely new to exercise but the first 2 weeks were still hard). Now I'm at week 6, and my next workout is run 25 minutes or 2 1/4 miles with no walking. Last week there was a workout to run non-stop for 20 minutes or 2 miles - I never thought I would be able to do it, but I did, and I felt so empowered. I am a little scared about the 25 minutes of non-stop running, but I know I can do it if I just push myself.

The best part about the c25k is that I have lost 7 pounds since starting it (good for me because my weight loss is really really slow - maybe like 3 pounds a month since October) and I have gone down 2 pants sizes since starting. I am really able to tell a difference in my legs since starting to run. I truly believe now that running is one of the best forms of exercise out there (not to knock walking - I still love to walk!). I don't think I'll ever be a "runner" or run a race, but I do think that the c25k is the one thing that will allow me to be able to run 2-3 miles without keeling over. Go for it ladies!

jamsk8r
02-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Yes, go for it! I put it off for a long, long time, because I had no workout clothes I felt comfortable wearing in public, no gym membership, no treadmill, etc. Finally, in January this year, I got my shoes, and decided to quit putting it off. I cleared a path, warned the kid, and started running through my house from one end to the other. I know, that's pretty silly, but it got me going, and I had no excuses left. So, if you want to be a runner, do it. You can do this!

Cheryl

mothermavis
02-15-2008, 09:54 PM
I'd like to join too, if it's ok, but I've already started, I finished week 1 yesterday.
I am using the treadmill, it's too icy to run outside here right now

GirlyGirlSebas
02-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I'll be using the treadmill. Unless I can get Hubby to do this with me. I'm too afraid of loose dogs to run outside.

Nori71
02-16-2008, 03:18 PM
I've been speaking with my personal trainer about starting to jog now. He told me to try it and to double up on glucosamine starting now. So, I'd like to try the C25K, very slowly, and if my knees start giving me problems I'm backing off until I lose more weight. I lost 100+ pounds 10 years ago and started jogging at closer to 200 pounds. It was CRAZY how I started losing and toning once I started jogging. I have to really push myself fast and hard on the elliptical to get my heart rate up now and I think jogging will help with that in a natural way since it's just my body moving without the help of the machine.

zinkemomx2
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I was running today!!!! I did 31 minutes and 1.7 miles total. It only averages out to 18 minute miles but I did intervals. Out of those 31 minutes I jogged/ran 12.5 minutes! Woooohooo! Usually at 3.9 mph. Sometimes faster sometimes slower. Approx total miles ran .81 miles so almost half my distance was running.

It is so weird how I can walk comfortably at 3.7 and at 4.2 if I try but as soon as you turn that walk into a jog at the same pace how different it feels. Does anyone else do that? Or am I weird?

GirlyGirlSebas
02-16-2008, 11:23 PM
It was CRAZY how I started losing and toning once I started jogging.

Oh, I'm hoping that happens for me!

Zinke, sounds like you're getting a great headstart. Congratulations!

zinkemomx2
02-17-2008, 01:27 PM
I decided this morning that I was going to see how long it took me to do the 3.1 miles. 3.16 miles in 60 minutes. No running today, just walking. My goal for the rest of the month is to shave a little (even if it is 30 seconds at a time) off that.

I did do interval walking for the first 30 minutes. I did my warm up, then every 90 seconds or so I sped up .2 miles an hour up to 4mph then worked my way back down to 3mph. Up and down, up and down. The last half hour was just concentrating on getting to the 3.1 miles. Usually I only do 30 minutes at a time on the treadmill so 60 was a stretch for me today.

ahill1979
02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I want to join you all in the C25K. I have wanted to do it before and have even started but I have never gotten past the first week. I think this support is exactly what I need to be able to do this. A big thanks to DIVA for posting about this in TBL black team thread. Without that post I never would have seen this.

Diva
02-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I want to join you all in the C25K. I have wanted to do it before and have even started but I have never gotten past the first week. I think this support is exactly what I need to be able to do this. A big thanks to DIVA for posting about this in TBL black team thread. Without that post I never would have seen this.

You are very welcome! :D

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t202/roni0467/Misc/sogladyoujoinedani.gif

mothermavis
02-18-2008, 05:32 AM
I did day 1 week 2 yesterday!
I went 1.56 miles. I am trying to make sure I got a little further/faster every time.

dollypie
02-18-2008, 04:02 PM
I am definetly in! I did the program January of last year and finished. Since then I had a baby in November. I loved running after I finished the program and ran until I was 7 months pregnant. I want to ease back into the program though. This will be great encouragement!

Karen68
02-18-2008, 04:15 PM
I would love to give this a try too! I have been working on my eliptical for a while and have been thinking about trying this. It sounds fun!

practiceliving
02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey all - I'm going to start Phase 2 of the conservative Couch to 5K (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/conservative_program.htm) on March 1st, so I'll pacing it differently than you all, but still working through it!

RaluCat
02-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm a walker (fast one - 4m/h even when I'm not exercising) and I "tried" the week 1 routine (60 sec run, 90 sec walk) on a treadmill and out. Outside totally rules girls! My favorite part is that time flies so quickly. But I have to admit I hate running or even walking on the treadmill - boring and the noise of running on loose wood planks, so I might be biased.

Even if I live near Seattle - where it... RAINS a lot - I will try to have my runs outside. I'll get to the 5k without realizing :)

caitbeans
02-19-2008, 06:36 AM
I started couch to 5K yesterday, I did week 1, day 1--so far so good!

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly
02-19-2008, 12:08 PM
i LOVE This program!! i have never liked running until now! I am currently in week 5 and i look forwrd to each running day!

Amarie2pt0
02-19-2008, 03:38 PM
So awesome! I think its great that everyone at every different level of the program can post and tell us how its going! Seeing the experiences of those of you already going is so inspiring! I can't wait to start, but am going to make my start day officially Mar 1. Trying to develop patience! Hahahaha.

Idealmuse
02-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi all

I'm doing something similar so I might join you. Its not C25k but a 13 week learn to run program. I'm on week 6 of 13, but for the last 6 weeks I think I'm going to have to repeat a bunch. I'm currently running 3 walking 2 rinse repeat for an hour.

GirlyGirlSebas
02-19-2008, 04:59 PM
I can't wait to start, but am going to make my start day officially Mar 1.

Me, too! I'm trying not to rush things.

zinkemomx2
02-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Me, too! I'm trying not to rush things.

I am really just doing my own thing right now. I jog until I can't then walk a few minutes. On the 1st I will join the rest of you on W1D1 and follow the program to the best of my abilities.

Like right now I can jog 2+ minutes but don't ask me to do it again for at least 3 minutes. I plan on following the jog 30, rest 90, repeat. Hopefully with those shorter rests I will see the results I want.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I am now and if for some reason I start to see dramatic improvement with the current way I might just keep doing what I am doing. Whatever is working best at the time.

Dea
02-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm in!!
I started walking/jogging about a year ago, and went from not being able to jog to the end of my street to gradually being able to jog for 30 mins and walking for 30 mins. However, I haven't been able to do it for a long while...weather being the #1 reason!! I am really excited about trying it again following a real program! Great to see so many TBL ladies here!
Thanks Amarie for getting this going! One more reason to look forward to spring!

mothermavis
02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
I did day 2 week 2 today! Yay me!

rainlips
02-20-2008, 01:12 AM
I would love to join you if I may.....I do alot of walking and sometimes I run so I would love to do this....Thanks again for posting diva

mothermavis
02-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Today is week 3 day 1 for me! I can't wait til everyone is going!

caitbeans
02-23-2008, 08:01 AM
I missed Day 3 Week 1 yesterday, I am going to try and do it this afternoon!

mothermavis
02-25-2008, 05:50 AM
So far so good, got day 1 Week 3 in on Saturday, day 2 should be tonight after work. I am loving it.

When you look at the plan, it looks like it should be not to hard, but the 3 minutes of continuous running was a stretch for me on Saturday, but I DID IT.

I was so proud of myself afterwards!

I signed up for a 5k April 5th.

Amarie2pt0
02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm getting excited everyone! March 1 is this weekend! I can't wait to start - I've been breaking in my "newer" running shoes by walking in them. My only worry is that I walk every day now, and the C25K program says to have a rest day in between. Those who've gone before - do you think it would be ok to still walk my dogs on the off day? They'll be crushed if I don't.

iriswhispers
02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
the rest day thing is just not pushing yourself too hard by trying to run every day - i'm sure walking your dogs or doing something else lower-impact like yoga or strength training is okay. definitely don't diss the pups. =)

i used to run and i've completed 5k's in the past, but i haven't run in over 6 months and i've been wanting to try the C25K program to get back into it, so i'd love to join! i really want to run the annual 5k for ovarian cancer again this year and it's the end of april.

GirlyGirlSebas
02-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Me Amarie, I asked this question on another thread and the response from the runners who begin with C25K....its okay to walk in addition to the initial 20 minutes and to walk on the off days.

GirlyGirlSebas
02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
i really want to run the annual 5k for ovarian cancer again this year and it's the end of april.

Iris, where are they doing the run? I've been watching for something on the NOCC website, but they don't have anything listed.

dangerouscurves76
02-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi all :^:

I'm so excited to join in. I've been wanting to commit to the C25K for awhile now. I'm not much of a runner and walking on the treadmill makes me want to scream. :tantrum: But I'm looking forward to sharing the journey with you all....one step at time.

Let's get ready to burn rubber!:woops:

iriswhispers
02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Iris, where are they doing the run? I've been watching for something on the NOCC website, but they don't have anything listed.

it's in philadelphia and it's organized by the sandy rollman foundation. i think the website is sandyovarian.org

caitbeans
02-27-2008, 04:37 PM
So yet again I have been derailed in the C25K, first time was for weather reasons and I wasn't able to get to the gym. This week is becuase I am sick, I tried to do it but with a chest cold I felt as if I would die. I will start up again on Sat, March 1st with all of you!

wennygrrl
02-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Yay!! I have been thinking of doing the C25K for a little while now. I was planning on starting in April due to the weather, but I think I can brave the elements and start on March 1 (it's supposed to be in the 40's) and when I HAVE to I will do it on the treadmill. I am a little nervous and I think I will have to up my joint support but I can't wait to try. I have never been a runner. Even as a child it was difficult, but I think it might be very freeing and give me the opportunity to get out of my own head.

mothermavis
02-28-2008, 06:08 AM
I finished week 3 last night, Week 4 looks like quite a jump!

If I need to , I will repeat week 3 first but I think I can do it!

iriswhispers
02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
y'all pumped for saturday? =)

mothermavis
02-28-2008, 09:25 PM
I can't wait til everyone is going!!

caitbeans
02-29-2008, 07:14 AM
I'm excited!!!!

HeatherAngel
02-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Hope you're all pumped up and ready for tomorrow, ladies - I'm so excited to see so many of you taking this up... remember - you don't have to be fast!!

And HAVE FUN!!! :D

dangerouscurves76
02-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi all! :D

I'm soooo pumped up and ready to get started with C25k tomorrow! I've been checking out dates and times for Spring 5k races all week. Most likely, I will register for Race Against Domestic Violence 5k scheduled for May 10th.

:goodluck: to everyone!

Amarie2pt0
02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Yay everyone! I'm so excited there's a group of us doing this together :grouphug: This thread is getting a little long so I'm going to post a new one for Week One - I guess officially it should start tomorrow, but I'm in the West and odds are some of you will be starting your program before I'm even awake!

Hope everyone will come on over to the new thread!