Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #1  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Rewarding yourself

Does anyone else have a rewards plan for themselves?

I've heard that this is a "bad" thing to do... but i think it'll help motivate me.

My two short term ones are:

Under 190 lbs - get a pedicure
Under 180 lbs - get an hour facial

what about yours?
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

A "bad thing", I don't know. IMHO it'd be a "bad" thing only if you were to reward yourself with food (like, "nice, I've lost 10 lbs, let's have McDonald's for dinner"). Although I also don't go for beauty stuff as far as I'm concerned, because it gives me the feeling that I'm not "allowed" a new haircut and the likes as long as I'm overweight, so I prefer to use books or CDs as rewards. But whatever goes, as long as it gives you a good incentive to stay on plan and doesn't contribute to make you regain weight or something silly like this, it's all positive.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I haven't heard that this is particularly "bad" unless one plans to reward themselves with a giant pizza or something... In fact, I know many people have little treats such as new clothes, or trips planned for staying on track.

Other than an entirely new waredrobe when I get to goal... I don't have any mini-treats planned. But, maybe I should think about something that I want, but don't "need".
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, rewards are definitely not bad unless you are using food. Perhaps that's where you got the idea.

I have rewards set up for myself... Though usually I don't determine what they are until I hit goal and think, "hmmm, what do I want to treat myself to?" My first reward for being in the 200's (out of the 210's) was the new Jack Johnson CD. Next up I have a reward for being in the 100's (planned to be a tattoo), and then my 10% lost reward (planned to be a pricey rare book I want). Other than those I'm not sure yet
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Every 10 lbs I drop, I buy myself something I want. Usually I get something fitness related like a new sweatshirt or a balance board or upgraded mtn bike parts. For my big goal, it'll be a kayak!
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

When I lose 10% of my starting weight, I am getting a full-body wrap, which is supposed to be very good for people who are losing weight because it helps to tighten and firm skin...which might be a load of hooey but I think it sounds nice anyway!
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #7  
never say never

S/C/G: 215/ticker/165

Height: 5'6

i'm making a reward list for every 10 pounds. i'm halfway to my first reward out of 5. i like beauty products as rewards. a massage. a new perfume. new lip gloss or maybe having your makeup done professionally. beauty magazines or bubble bath. things like that are things i enjoy as rewards. i tend to enjoy more things i don't really need...just stuff i want.
polkadotfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 153/137/125

I would suggest you set goals for exercise or eating related goals instead of straight out weight loss. I'm giving myself mini rewards every 50 miles I jog (like buying 5 new songs off iTunes) with a big goal in mind if I get to 500 miles total over 6 months. I can imagine being really frustrated if I set my goals based on my weight, cause looking at the scale rarely shows the steady progress that one dreams about. But you have 100% control over how much you invest in exercise. Weight loss can be its own reward, but it's important not to get too fixed on the scale alone or you may get discouraged by completely normal fluctuations.
TigerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #9  
Goonies never say die!

Tiger... i really love that suggestion. I may have to modify my plan... but i think that i won't do that quite yet, at least until i am out of an obese weight/body fat %.

I have to think of a good treat when i move from the obese fat% to just overweight. I do like the idea of fitness related treats such as a new workout outfit or something like that.

jenny... regardless if that body wrap actually firms your skin... trust me.. it feels GREAT! I did a volcanic mud body wrap when i was on my honeymoon in Costa Rica... i felt so refreshed afterwards!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerSoup View Post
I'm giving myself mini rewards every 50 miles I jog (like buying 5 new songs off iTunes)
I love that idea!!

I am planning to buy a bead for my Troll Beads braclet when I lose below 200 lbs.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #11  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I wish I had goal rewards - but I don't...just when I'm feeling good...staying on track..etc...I get to go shopping...usually the clearance racks because I'm finding that I am moving thru sizes fairly quickly...but it's always fun and very rewarding to buy jeans a size smaller.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #12  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I sort of set up a reward that I can buy myself a whole new outfit at anthropologie when I finally hit my goal weight (well, new shirt and pair of pants/skirt...I am not made of money) I love their clothes but can't justify the expense...but if I can hit 140 then it'd be worth it to be able to buy smaller sizes and then the motivation will be there to maintain the weight so I can keep wearing it...and I told myself if I can at least get down to 150 by my birthday (May 30th) I can buy myself a nice bathing suit...if not I am going to just buy a cheap one. I think rewards help because you have something else to look forward to. We all want to look better but sometimes its hard to even notice the progress we're making because its so gradual...I think my friends notice my weight loss more than I actually do.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I'd been thinking about starting a thread like this one to get suggestions for rewards. My current thought is that for every 5 lbs dropped, I get something (my weight is coming off reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaallly slow so 5 is a lot!!). I'm thinking beauty stuff, $10 or less, a new eyeshadow or lotion or something.

I love hearing what everyone else is getting for themselves...the books/music seems like a really good idea, too...

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/270/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
Next up I have a reward for being in the 100's (planned to be a tattoo)
That is one of my rewards, also. I'm holding out until I hit my goal. Once I'm there, then I'm going to get a tattoo I've been wanting for a while now.
foucault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #15  
Goonies never say die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foucault View Post
That is one of my rewards, also. I'm holding out until I hit my goal. Once I'm there, then I'm going to get a tattoo I've been wanting for a while now.

I just made another thread about this... but for Valentine's day my husband is giving me 1/2 of the cost of the tattoo i am planning IF and ONLY IF i make it to my short term goal of 175lbs by May 10th.

YAY! what a reward!