South Beach Diet - Way Out Wednesday Chat

View Full Version : Way Out Wednesday Chat

femmecreole
02-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Good Morning!
Hey, my first time starting off the day!

We had such a crazy afternoon yesterday, weather-wise. Big storm came up and blew limbs all over the place...even under my covered patio! Moved stuff into the hallway just in case we had to take cover, but it passed. Found out a little while later that a woman was killed a few miles from here while leaving a hospital. She was an outpatient and told NOT to leave the building, but did anyway and was sucked up into a tornado funnel in the parking lot, then slammed against a car. When it had passed, the hospital folks brought her into the ER, but she passed away. So sad.

On a better note, I discovered a great "salad dressing" yesterday. I made taco bake and wanted something "cool" to put on top of it. So I mixed GREEK yogurt with some dried dill. Then I added sliced cucumbers, avocado cubes and red onion. It was great...very refreshing on top of the taco bake. (also put lettuce and tomato on it.) YUM!!!
I was thinking for summer, mixing the yogurt, dill, cucumber and a little red onion in the food processor would make a wonderful salad dressing.

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Snow, ice, sleet, freezing rain, ice.......... we've had it all, and it's quite messy out there this morning. Schools are on a 2-hour delay and hopefully all the ice will be out of here by then. I enjoyed yesterday, though, as long as I was safe and snug in my own home. :)

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 07:17 AM
A cheery good morning to you, Cat! You beat me to it today! :)
I made taco back yesterday, too, and had some for lunch. That's a good idea, making a sort of taziki (sp?) to top it off. I bet it was awesome!

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Good morning chicks. I will make taco bake one of these days. It looks sooo yummy. I'm up early this morning. Had to take dad to the airport. The airport is about a 45 minute drive from here. DH and I are still not talking. When will all this craziness just go away? I try my hardest to be positive and do good in all I do and put everyone before myself and all I get is anger from DH and nothing but negativity from him. I don't understand how someone can live everyday like that. There is sooooo much to be thankful for. Well, nothing much else is going on here. It's alittle chilli outside but not too bad. It'll be another warm day I think. yesterday was terrible. Very windy and raining really bad.

Cat-you live in LA so we get really similar weather (I live in Houston---Yucky).

Everyone-have a wonderful day.

CyndiM
02-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Here too Cottage - except that we are in the middle of it. Everything is closed. They aren't plowing the roads because the snow from last night is keeping them from becoming skating rinks. Eek. I'm so glad I can just pull out my thumb drive and work at home on days like this.

Cat - Your dressing sounds yummy. I'll have to add it to my warmer weather list. We used to get the fat free Greek yogurt in large containers at the Co-op. Now they only have 6 oz containers. I can get all the fat included Greek yogurt I want but not the type we had been buying. I'm thinking about getting some cheese cloth and making my own. Has anyone tried that?

tk- sorry you're having such a frustrating time at home. It sure makes life challenging.

Now the coffee :)

Stay safe everyone!

Ruthxxx
02-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Good morning from snowed-in Delta! I imagine the plough guy will be along later. but, in the meantime, we are snowed in. I managed to get the deck door open for Hershey but it was a struggle.

Nothing on the agenda today except hang out with my dog and do the frassing knee bend exercises. I cannot drive my car until I have a 90º bend - not that I want to drive in this stuff!

Time for coffee - how did I forget that?

tomandkara
02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Good slippery, slidey, wet morning to you all! Looks like another run on the treadmill today. I am missing that indoor track I was pounding around in Korea...

Cat, you are a recipe genius! Thanks for passing along a great tip!

Linda, stay safe on the roads today!

Tawnya, focus on the kids and yourself. You can only control your reactions to your environment, so do what you need to to make your life managable.

Cyndi, I think Schmoodle makes yogurt but I don't know what the difference is between Greek and regular. I have yet to try the Greek kind, but it'll be on my next shopping list!

Ruth, enjoy your coffee! You should put on some fun music for doing your exercises. That's what I do for clean-the-house time!

Just floating on Cloud Nine here, hoping Tom's plans don't change for him again! I haven't been able to talk to him since last night and I'm eagerly awaiting his call this morning to fill me in on what happened while I was sleeping. I have a bit of a sore throat this morning but I couldn't care less as long as the rest of this move-school situation works out!

Kara

browneyedgirl77
02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey Chickas,
I haven't posted in the daily chat for awhile. I hope everyone is doing well. I've been pretty sick lately. Stupid asthma! The weather here in Ga has been weird to say the least. One day it's 40* the next day it's 75*. Of course, that's great for walks but not so great when you're asthmatic. Everything other than that is going well. DH will finally be home from school in a couple of weeks and then we are off to Germany too! My family is flying in from HI this week. Seems like I haven't seen everyone in forever. I would've really liked to have gone home. It was just way too expensive and just not enough time. I've been staying OP food wise but haven't been getting in all my snacks. I lost a bunch of weight but since I'm not sick anymore I'm sure I'll gain a bunch back.
Cottage and Cyndi- Here I am complaining about weird weather and you all just had a horrible storm. Don't I feel sheepish! Stay Safe!
Cat- that dressing sounds delish! I hope you enjoy it. That is such a sad story. Weird how one silly decision can make a world of difference.
TK-Sorry to hear about your DH. Sometimes the best DH is the one that's only around on weekends.Men!
Ruth- I'm glad to hear your surgery went well and you are feeling better.
Everyone yet to come:wave:!

Have a beachy day!
Pohai

browneyedgirl77
02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Hey Kara we were simul-posting!:wave:

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 09:12 AM
The schools all decided to close for the day, so it must be bad out there! I don't plan on going anywhere for a while. Cindy and I are trying to decide on a plan for the day. Right now she said they're pretty much stranded out there in the country with over an inch of solid ice on their drive.

Kara, you can make your own Greek yogurt by putting regular yogurt in a cheesecloth and letting all the excess liquid drain out. I've never done it, IMHO it's so much simpler just to buy it. But then I'm always looking for the easy way out, anyway LOL!

Ruth, you're sounding better and better every day! :) Enjoy the snow, and don't even think about going outside!

Cyndi, it's nice to be able to work from home when you have to. I'm really fortunate that Cindy is so accommodating to me when the roads are dicey.

tk, I sure hope you and your DH can work your way through this difficult time!

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 09:15 AM
:wave: browneyedgirl! This winter sure has had it's ups and downs, temperature wise. I'm sooo ready for spring!

tomandkara
02-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Oh, Linda, I used to do that all the time when the kids were babies! I'd buy the big thing of full fat plain yogurt for them, drain it, and then add fruit puree. They loved it and it didn't have any added sugar. Who knew I was so multi-cultural?!

Morning, Pohai! Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Enjoy your time with the family! If there's no housing available when you get to Germany, aren't you allowed to extend in the temporary lodging? Usually with a commander's letter you can stay longer than thirty days if you need to. Or at least that's how the Air Force does it. We're actually hoping to live OFF base, so we've got the opposite problem of trying to figure out how to navigate the German real estate market on limited bilingual skills...

Avery wants to "eeeee" (read: eat) so I'd better go feed her.

Kara

Schmoodle
02-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Kill me now! The kids are off again today.:( The only good thing about that is I don't have to get them up and moving right now. There isn't even any snow to speak of for them to play in.

Great minds think alike, cottage and Cat! I made Taco Bake on Monday. My favorite way is with lots of red peppers, onions, zucchini, and spinach, and green olives chopped up in the meat layer.
Hi Pohai, glad you are feeling better!
Cyndi, I haven't tried to make the Greek yogurt yet, but I bought extra milk at the dairy this week so I could make a batch of yogurt and give it a try. I've got to finish up the container I already have though.
Kara, hope you get good news!
tk, hope things are looking up for you today.
Have a good snowy day, Ruth. Is it a little better every day now?

Hope you all have a marvelous Wednesday. We're almost over the hump!

Neko
02-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Good morning!

tk Sorry to hear you're still having so much trouble with your husband. :hug:

femmecreole That recipe sounds great. I'll have to try it the next time I make Taco Bake.

Strangely, they cancelled school in my town for the couple of inches of slush we got. So my mother will have to watch my son while I get to drive half an hour to work.

little chick
02-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Morning chicks. Snow day here today as well. It is snowing like crazy but they say it is going to change to freezing rain and then rain. The school kids are all here and they have the game cube out and are gaming it up right now. They tend to get a little loud. Poor DH he is home to. And it drives him crazy when he has nothing to do...lol. I am feeling under the weather today a little on the wishy washy side. I hope I am not getting the flu. Well gotta to dash Hugs to all who needs them. Take care chicks I will try to pop back in later. For you chicks who are having the same weather stay safe and snuggly inside.

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
browneyedgirl-where in hawaii are you from? I'm from hawaii too and still have some family there.

browneyedgirl77
02-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Kara- I hope they let you live on the economy. DH and I wanted to as well but there were so many families choosing to live off-base that the government was going into debt paying for everyone. From what I've read on some military forums, they no longer allow families to live off-base only single soldiers. Extremely high ranking single soldiers. It's caused a huge housing shortage everywhere especially Heidelberg(not sure on spelling). I'm pretty lucky though. I have an "in" in Germany.lol My cousin and his German wife are stationed there. She can't wait to take me shopping. Sadly, she said they closed all the Walmarts.:( If worse comes to worse I can say that I will stay with them until housing becomes available. I'm just being paranoid. We had such a difficult time getting all the paperwork together to come here from GA that I'm waiting for something to go wrong. Just my pessimistic nature. Yes, I'm working on it. lol

Tk- I grew up in Waimanalo and then when my parents starting making lots of money we moved to Ewa Gentry.lol I consider myself a Nalo girl. I'm a proud Kamehameha Schools Alumni. Imua Kamehameha!!:D DH is from Kapahulu. We met before he joined up. If I knew then what I know now. I would have never let that happen. No, just kidding! I love military life. (a little sarcasm) Where do you hele from?

Pacergal29
02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
2 hour delay here as well. I am so ready for spring.

Cat I saw that story on the news this morning and thought of you wondering how you weathered the storm.

Cottage Stay safe today.

TK all we can do is try our best for our kids, I realized that years ago and try to always keep a positive attitude but dang can husbands make it hard at times. I'm right there with you though, we can be strong together!

Cyndi oh how I wish I could work from home!

Ruth you sound better everyday!

Kara crossing my fingers for you that things stay on schedule.

Pohai glad to hear you are feeling better.

Schmoodle sending you good vibes to get through the day with the kids home!

Neko & LC :wave:

Me I have a pile of work to do today and have been informed by my boss I best utilize the newbies or else! Problem being that just leads to questions and interruptions and it would be quicker in the long run for me to do it myself.

Thanks for everyones support yesterday when I was venting, its nice to have people that understand! Things still stink but the roaring woman in me will prevail!

Ok time to get my behind in gear. Have a great day ladies!

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
browneyedgirl-I from Wahiawa. I actually met my hubby in Japan. I had a baby and went to live in Japan with my mom (she works for DODs) and met my hubby there. Long story. He was in the marines and man, does he miss it. It drives me sooo lolo cuz he misses it soooooo much. I'm so happy I get one local friend here now.

GONNABE165
02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Good morning everyone! We had some of that crazy weather here lastnight but no damage to close to me so thats good. I have a pretty slow day here at work and no real plans for the evening.

You gals be safe out there and have a great day

phxsunflower
02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
good morning all.

Checking in. Just few before leaving for school. Sorry to hear that you are having snow days and mother nature is dumping on you. Just remember how beautifully green your surrounding will be in afew weeks. I don't know how you all do it...(as I am sitting in shorts).

Things are just chugging along. Trying to stay on plan but I think I need to kick myself back into gear and buckle down. Haven't strayed just losing motivation to try.

Ladies hang in there spring is coming.. Have a great day and a safe one.

beachgal
02-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey, all! Looks like it'll be a while until I can do personals again! Between people coming in the second I get into work and tons of people posting in here before 9:00, it's pretty hard to keep up! :faint: I do my best to read everyone, though. :grouphug: It's good to see the daily so busy!

We had a minor snowstorm last night, so I spent an hour shoveling. It was light, dry snow and there was only 2 inches or so, but boy did it make for a workout! We live on a corner lot with an extreeeeeemely long driveway, so I had my work cut out for me. When DH made it home (literally 2 minutes after I got back in the house), he asked, "did you use two shovels?" since he saw two leaning against the garage. I said, "One was for you--but you didn't show up." :s: He found that rawther amusing. :rolleyes:

I tried to go to a yoga class yesterday only to find that in the months it took me to get around to going, they'd changed the start time! So I missed it. Went home and, determined to do some yoga, ordered up a 10 minute workout from the On-Demand exercise channel! It was so awesome! I practically floated on a cloud for the next two hours and handled everything so much more calmly yesterday. My muscles felt less knotted up, too. Today I ache everywhere!!! :headache: I guess I really have gotten out of shape...if four downward dogs puts me in this condition, it's gotten baaaad! :o I need to start doing more than just cardio.

Off to the gym tonight--I may do the bike since I've been on the elliptical for weeks, but I have a busy night ahead, so I don't want to fuss around too much. Need to take a shower, make dinner, eat, and get to our Lenten Faith Formation series. It's a regional program that's kind of like Sunday School for adults. I get to see friends who go to churches in nearby towns, hang out with DH, and learn a lot. This year, all of the talks are on ways to pray. I'm looking forward to it!

Hope everyone has a good day and stays warm! :goodvibes:

browneyedgirl77
02-13-2008, 10:23 AM
TK- I had tons of family who lived in Wahiawa on Ohai Street;). Thank goodness they don't live there anymore. In fact, one of my cousins is the one I mentioned earlier who now lives in Germany. They rest of their hui now lives in TX just like you. Except they live in Tyler. One of my best friends still live in Whitmore Village. Such a small world. My DH drives me crazy too! Sometimes I like kick him in the okole! lol

Hey Schmoo! Check out your ticker. WTG!!:carrot: Hope things are going well with DH being gone.

beachgal
02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Phoenix, thanks for bringing a breath of spring air into the forum! :cloud9: Unfortunately, around here you shouldn't even THINK of spring until May. No kidding. :( We got a long haul ahead of us. But I really enjoy the snow and looooove the snow days! :love:

TK, I'm so sorry about things with your husband. Can you get him into personal counseling? Do they do things like that at the VA center? Or could you do couples counseling? It really helped my DH and me. Having someone neutral to help you work things out is really useful. I'm certain my DH deals with depression but he says he's fine and won't get help. On the other hand, I'm in a group for people with depression and anxiety and we have at least three regulars who are men. Only one was forced into therapy...so there is hope. If DH is taking out his frustration on you, it's just not right, even if he does have PTSD. Like Kara said, though, you can only control your reactions, so keep on seeing the cup half full and try to avoid him and his bad moods. :hug:

TK and BrownEyed, I'm not Hawai'ian, but my aunt has lived there for over 40 years. She lives in Kailua and I just love visiting her. :) It's wonderful to "hear" pidgin! :goodvibes:

Cat, I just LOVE tzatziki sauce!!! I could, literally, eat it with a spoon. :love: I never thought of using it on the taco bake, but I can see how it'd be good. Yumm! It makes an awesome dip, too. I usually make mine with regular yogurt, but I can see how Greek yogurt would be much less watery. Mmm!

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Ohai street----wow!!!! I 'member those days, no good. Yeah ohai st. is really bad. My aunty lives behind Longs drugs and foodland. I have relatives all ova. My braddah used to live Mililani but move mainland. Oh how I miss da Hawaiian food. Wow!!! Germany, that's even worse. But there's recipes online for Hawaiian food. I'm tryin' fo think where Tyler is.

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 10:36 AM
beachgal-yeah, he sees a couselor but keeps telling him all is well when it's not. DH very well knows its not. I'm really thinking about calling his counselor and telling him how things really are.

Kim_Star060404
02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey everyone! Hope you're all having a good Wednesday. I made it to work barely on time which means running late for me. Have to get caught up before the customers start rolling in. Have a great day!

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 10:47 AM
BrownEyed, I'm very curious........ is your name Pohai, or are you just meaning it as a goodbye sign-off? I looked it up and the meaning is "surround yourself with beauty". That is a thoughtful way to end your posts, and if that's your real name it's awesome! :)

Goooood morning, Laurie and Phxsunflower! You, too, Kim!

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 11:16 AM
browneyedgirl-there's some hawaiians here. every year there is an aloha fest and all da hawaiians get together. its kind of small but good to see other locals around.

tomandkara
02-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Schmoodle, maybe you could send your daughter over to the sleep-over girl's house? Good luck making it through the day.

LC, I can think of a couple things I'd put your husband to work on...toilets, cleaning out closets, scrubbing the fridge...nothing to do...men!

Neko, drive safely! Hope your son has fun with Grandma!

Pohai, we've had a couple people tell us that the gas might be more expensive commuting from off base, but other than that we haven't had any problems investigating it. Maybe it's a difference in the area?

Stephanie, good luck training today! Maybe after you get them all whipped into shape you can sit back with your feet up on your desk and just supervise?

Hey, Gonna! Enjoy your slow day!

Phoenix, you need to soak up some rays for the rest of us, K?!

Laurie, enjoy your Lenten Faith class! You'll have to pass on any pearls of wisdom! Do you think the soreness is maybe from the shovelling???

Good morning, Kim! Hope the customers give you a little break by meandering in late!

It's shaping up to be a bear of a day here. The kids are all in rare form. Avery hit Kadyn over the head with her water cup this morning, Connor is lost in some strange in-between-reality-and-daydream world, and Kadyn is yelling her head off about something. My word. Someone help me keep my sanity!

Kara

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Kara-welcome to my world. That is what it's like when I have all 4 kids by myself.

tomandkara
02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Usually they all don't break down at the same time. Maybe it's a full moon or something.

Turns out Kadyn was screaming because Avery closed the bathroom door while she was on the potty and she hadn't turned the light on. That Avery is trouble for not even being two yet! I think she did it on purpose.

I decided to get on-line to destress. Better for the waistline than chocolate.

Kara

Cajun Girl
02-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Goodmorning Ladies!

I hope all of you with the ice and snow - bunker down and be safe!
We have had pretty irratic weather here too-- but as the saying goes here" Welcome to Houston, if you dont like the weather- just wait 5 minutes!"

Well - this morning is started completely on the wrong foot! Well, I guess it started last night-- MY lovely fiance came home from class (in school to get PT certified) and ate dinner-( left over taco bake!) then runs out to his car to get some pants that he bought for work... well he left the front door open and my 2 lb yorkie (Thibodaux) runs to follow him .... he comes back in and goes to bed-- well for some reason I decided to stay up for about 15 more minutes-- and I got to find Thibi and tell him good night-- he is no where to be found-- which is not like him he -- then I hear this horrible bark at the front door -- poor little guy is just sitting there shaking!

Then this morning I get up- and its cold in Houston-- well, not as cold as you all with the snow and ice BUT cold for here! and I start a bath -- I have to be at work early b/c we are getting audited today--- (not in trouble here - jsut the yearly audit for the SEC)
I jump in the tub and the water is freezing cold--- I tell my fiance- there is not hot water - to which he grumbles---- Great now I have to take a cold shower-- I said excuse me-- I am soaking in a cold bath right now!

SO after hurrying and washing-- I jump out and go look at the hot water heater- and the pilot is not lit-- so I then check the gas stove-- no gas!

A guess a little background information is due at this point-- last week I noticed I had yet to recieve my Feb bill so I called and they told me that my account was closed - b/c someone called them to start a new account and gave my address(by mistake) which automatically closed my account on 12/20. They apologized and told me that my account would be restored immediately and that they would be out within the next few days to read the meter -- that there would not be a bill until the end of this month.

once at the office, I call Centerpoint- and they saw oh we are sorry - I guess that there must have been a glitch in the system - and the order to go out and read the meter - didnt go through- so they removed your gas meter!
We apologize -- and we will be out today -- but you must be home! I said I cant be there-- it is impossible today of all days!

So now-- I have to leave and be home by 3:30- b/c if I want a hot shower tomorrow - they are coming between 3:30 - and 9 tonight!

Lets just hope that this is the last of the bad luck I have today-- and nothing goes wrong in this audit!

Hope all you ladies have a good day and thanks for listening to me vent!

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
what part of houston?

browneyedgirl77
02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Cottage- That's a good question. It's my nickname. It's short for Pohaikehaulani which mean gathering/ surrounding heavenly mist. Technically, you aren't suppose to shorten Hawaiian names because it takes away from it's meaning but I'm not a stickler.

TK- Tyler is in E. Texas about 100 miles from both Shreveport, LA and Dallas. My mom is bringing me some poi, laulau and poke on Friday. I can't wait. I'm planning a cheat day. She's bringing some manapua too! It's super easy to make kalua pig and laulau but it's just not the same. I even make a sbd friendly lau lau with chicken breast. It's pretty descent but nothing like the real thing. I think what I miss is the Chinese and Korean food. At least they sale Aloha shoyu in the commissary and I don't have to deal with kikoman, yuck! I'm gonna have to ship some to Germany.;)

Kara- Yeah, I've heard about the crazy gas prices too. I also heard something about gas coupons/rations. I hope that's not true. I don't know if I could handle hiking in the snow to get my girls to school. It doesn't help that the Euro keeps gaining against the dollar. Last I checked it was $1.50 to 1e. I hope they raise COLA to offset it. I dled a copy of the study manual to drive in Germany. I hold a HI drivers license so I'm going to have to test when I get there. There are a whole lot of street signs I have never seen before. Definitely a lot more to remember.

Laurie- it was the "okole" that gave it away huh! lol!
:wave: Cajun, Stephanie and PHX.

browneyedgirl77
02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh goodness Kara,
My newly 3 year old does that to my 5 year old all the time. I think they put something in the water that is making our children too smart for their own good. Maybe it's the prenatal vitamins.:D I can't wait for my mom to get here. I need to de-stress bad!!!! I hope things get better with the kiddos.

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm in southeast houston. I make my own manapua. It tastes just like home. My mom taught me how. I know what you mean by its not the same. My best friend here is from waipahu and she makes guava cake and chantilli cake and haupia cake. I haven't tried it but i have the recipe. im afraid to make it and eat it all. I'm doing so good. I've lost 12 pounds so far and don't wanna ruin it. Man, making my mout watah.

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I think I miss Zippys the most and Dong Yang (have you been there?)

beachgal
02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
:lol: Yup, Pohai...I love that word! My aunty always said, "you have the cutest little okoles" to my sisters when they were little. ;)

Oh, Cajun, you (and Thibi!) are having the hardest time! Yikes!!! What an awful mess! I hope the Gas Co. compensates you somehow for this...I'd be livid! Glad Thibi was okay. Yorkies have such fine hair and so little protection from the elements! :brr:

Kara, :homer: duh!!! You're totally right, I bet...the soreness is probably from the shoveling! :lol3: Well butter my okole and call me a biscuit...I'm pretty out of it today!

TKGlenn, even though it might make DH mad if he hears, I think it's totally imperative that you call his counselor and tell her exactly what's going on at home. Do your best to just tell facts and leave your emotions out (I know...that's hard!) so that she trusts what you're saying and doesn't think that you're exaggerating. DH could be in serious trouble and if his counselor doesn't know, she can't help him. Plus, it'll help you SO much if she's able to get him back on track. :hug: Let us know how it goes. My counselor has said that, should we decide to get pregnant, she wants to see DH before delivery so she can fill him in on all the signs of postpartum depression. Then she wants him to watch me and call her immediately if I show any signs. I think you're in the position to do that for your DH here.

Bellaluna, I was rereading an old blog and you mentioned that you love to journal but aren't doing it as much now that you're on here. I wanted to suggest a compromise--if you look at the purple bar at the top of every page here at 3FC, you'll see a link to "Free Diet Blogs." I haven't used one in a year or so, so they may have changed, but when I was using them, not only did they give you a place to get your feelings out, but you were given extra support because others would read your blog and post comments, support, sympathy, etc. They might have good advice or just be able to commiserate. It really made me feel better to have that support! You might want to try it! If you do and want us to read it, just let us all know that you're doing it, okay? :hug:

beachgal
02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Ooooh, guava cake... :drool: Is there some way you could make it SBD safe? :chin: I think guava's allowed, right? :?:

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't know. I would have to check.

tomandkara
02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Cajun, glad your dog just stayed at the door and didn't start roaming the neighborhood! That's what my lab would've done. She'd have been out visiting all her doggie friends!

Pohai, your Korean food must be different than Korean Korean food. We tried *so* hard to like it but the only thing we really liked was the cucumber kimshi.
I heard the gas rations aren't that bad. But I did hear the drivers' test is hard. We've got the study guide, too. I really have to get on that!

Kids are calming down. Avery's napping and Connor is kind of doing his work. My hard boiled egg is finished for my egg salad wrap (in romaine) so I'm gonna go eat!

Kara

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Kara-I've been to Korea and ate korean food there and back home in Hawaii and it is alittle different. The taste to me is different. I love kimchi. back home they make a hot/spicy one and it is soooo good. Did u ever try meat jun? or kal bi? yummy!!!!!

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
oh sorry I forgot, you're a vegitarian (sp?). Sorry. That's the only Korean food I eat.

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Kara, do you have a lot of ice over there in NJ? It doesn't seem to be melting here at all. I just went out to the mailbox and was surprised that there's a solid sheet of ice coating everything.

As you can probably tell, I'm still home. Cindy told me she canceled all her appts. for the day and is just holing up with the girls. I told her to make sure they get their valentines finished for tomorrow. The cards are all finished, but they still have to put them in the special envelopes we made for them and write their classmates names on them. I thought about just driving out there, but I know the roads are going to be even worse out there in the boonies. I did tell her to call me if she needs me though.

There is absolutely nothing on TV, and I finished my book yesterday. The house is clean and laundry is done. Sigh....... :yawn:

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 01:47 PM
cottage-if you're bored, you're welcome to come clean my house. Hehehehehe.

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 02:14 PM
cottage-if you're bored, you're welcome to come clean my house. Hehehehehe.

Hehehehehe, I'm not that bored! Yet.

Schmoodle
02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
cottage, you've been quite the lady of leisure this week!
Pohai, thanks for the ticker comment. I needed that! I sometimes kinda forget how far I've come, since I haven't been doing so great since Christmas. I weigh in tomorrow and I'm just hoping I get to move it a smidge.
Cajungirl, hope you find yourself in some hot water soon!
Kara, wish I could but that's not gonna happen. Those kids have a mom that actually works, unlike me, who sits here and twiddles my thumbs all day (at least that what it seems like people think sometimes). Anyway, they are always calling my kids and asking if they want to play, which in polite society would be inviting someone to YOUR OWN house. Before I caught on, I would agree, then they would say their mom was at work and I'd need to come and get them and bring them over here. I caught on pretty quick, and now I ask WHERE and WHO'S DRIVING before I agree to anything. Oh, and FOR HOW LONG, because you never can be sure when or if they will get picked up. They already called and asked if I'd come pick them up from their sitter's house today. In the ice storm. Um, No. Oooh, that turned into a little mini-rant, didn't it?

Anyway, we do have a neighbor kid over right now, but at least I can send him home if I want to, and they have all been pretty good. I managed to get a couple of training modules done, and start cleaning the kitchen over lunch. Better get back to it, chicks, Wednesday is half over!

tomandkara
02-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Linda, everything seems to have melted here. Tom's step-mom came home for lunch and she said the roads aren't too bad now. It's been raining wet-rain since this morning, though. Last night it was sleeting, but it's all melted away now. I think it's in the 40s!

Tawnya, not eating meat really did limit my selection in Korea. Plus, trying to stay away from the white rice. Although it can't be too bad for you, since ALL the girls there seem to be super skinny... I generally ate at home before we went out anywhere, though!

Schmoo, you're a smart cookie! I'd have fallen for that kid trick too many times... You must have a fun house if they all want to come over!!!

Kara

browneyedgirl77
02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Kara- Korean food is a little different in Hawaii but I'm pretty used to Asian style foods. I actually like eating stuff like cuttlefish, bean sprouts, nori and a bunch of other weird looking stuff. It's actually more normal to me than down south home cooking. I mean I can whip up a mean kal bi but can't make corn fritters for nothing. lol

browneyedgirl77
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
TK- I'm so jealous, I can't make the bao for nothing. I must have tried at least 5 or 6 different recipes. It never quite comes out right. I should probably ask my mother-in-law but I'd rather not.;) Trying to get her to teach me Cantonese steamed fish was like pulling teeth. The messed up thing is that after she taught me I was like "that's it" lol. I really miss choi sum but I don't think they would let my mom bring it on the plane and Atlanta is 2 hour drive.:(

pamatga
02-13-2008, 04:19 PM
I just got back from visiting my Mom in ICU in Rochester, Minnesota. I was just trying to wake up and get back to working while you were all planning your days.

Mom is still in critical condition but she is also stable. I believe she knew I was there. Her eyes lit up when I talked to her. The stroke affected her vision so she is unable to focus so technically she can't see but she's not blind.

The one who really needs care (Mom is getting excellent care by her round the clock nurses) is my Dad. He drove over in sub zero weather in nothing more than a jean jacket, walked 2 blocks to the hospital and then didn't bring his medication. The roads were closed because of drifting snow so I ended up taking him to the emergency room so he could get enough pills for a couple of days then I insisted he stay with my DH and I in our motel room for the night. He still didn't want to stay another night so he left when it got around -6 below for the high on Sunday.

I am sure Mom will be in the hospital for many months........ she is alive but she has a long way to go. I am glad that I went. My poor sister was really having a tough time handling everything on her own. I told her to take those five days off and "decompress".

I stayed on plan as well as I could. I haven't weighed yet but I only ate once a day (yes I know.....) but I was more tired and frazzled than hungry. I am glad to be back and on a schedule although I have a mountain of laundry to do!

GONNABE165
02-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Pamatga :hug: my thoughts & prayers are with you and your family :hug:

Schmoodle
02-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Pamatga, glad you are home, safe and sound. I'm sure your visit did her so much good, but it was probably painful for you. :hug:

Schmoodle
02-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Hee, Kara, here's an update on the kid saga, the mom just called. She had gotten home from work and the son told her she needed to give him a ride over because we were expecting him to come and play. First I or DS had heard of it! She decided she'd better call and check fortunately! I vetoed the idea - too close to dinner and I've got stuff to do tonight.

Now cottage, what are you hearing about tonight's weather? Because I've heard we're to expect some more snow, and the temps are going to still be very low. You might have another day off and I might have another day of kids home! It is supposed to warm up tomorrow, so maybe it will all melt and they can go Friday and get in at least 2 days of school this week! And next Monday off too, ya know.

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Pamatga, you and your family are in my prayers. I'm glad your mother is in a good facility and getting the best care available. :hug:

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Schmoodle, you handled the kid situation well! Our house was always the one all the kids wanted to come to play, too. We always had a house full of kids and never knew how many were going to be staying for dinner every night. I actually miss those days, now that we're empty nesters!
I haven't heard the latest weather report, is it really supposed to snow?! I'm starting to feel guilty about being home, and I just know that Cindy is going out of her mind! She's not too good, being cooped up with the girls all day. ;)

I ventured out to the store when Jake got home, and the roads are in pretty good shape for now. I'm baking him his favorite cake to take to work with him tomorrow, and I didn't have any white flour in the house! And while I was mixing the cake, he was yelling from the other room "Don't you put any black beans or Splenda in it!" LOL! Gotta love them!

tkglenn
02-13-2008, 06:01 PM
browneyedgirl-my mom taught me to make manapua and it is sooo ono. It's the char sui one. You should have her send you some hawaiian salt and li hing mui. I have li hing mui for when I get sick and the salt (and li hing mui) for sore throat. You can't find those here in da states.

Neko
02-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Can somebody come over and remove the SF Reeses from my hands. :eek:

Schmoodle
02-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Neko! Back away!!!
You will have terrible gas all night! Now, you don't want that do you?

Neko
02-13-2008, 07:52 PM
That would probably bother my husband more than me..... ;)

SillyFluff
02-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey Everyone.
I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. Things have been so crazy. I'm still sticking to the plan but I've been maintaining so maybe I need to cut down on grains. Atleast I'm not gaining I guess. Well I'm off to do some stuff. Just wanted to check in. TAKE CARE

GONNABE165
02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I got off plan tonight as I went to my moms and we had a heart to heart crying talk as she is haveing a very hard time dealing with the death of my dad and in the middle of it the ice cream reared it's head and yes we ate it - at least toward the end we both felt better as we began to look back on the good things of my dad and celebrate his life so YES the ice cream was worth it cause the momen twith my mom made her feel alot better - we neeed that

I hope your night is peaceful.....Good night!

tomandkara
02-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey Tina! Glad to hear you've been maintaining! That's a hard skill to learn. You already know how to lose, so as soon as you set your mind to it, you'll be back on track!

Schmoodle, way to stand up to the kid! Seriously, sounds like they think they run the house, though. No wonder he tried to get one over on his mom. I say you put those kids to work if they're still home tomorrow!

Pam, we'll be praying for your mom and dad. Glad you got to visit!

Gonna, it's good to be there for family. I can't imagine being in your mom's shoes. Ice cream would be the last thing I'd be stressing over. I'm sure that having you to talk to was very special for her!

Neko, I second the gas pains warning! I once ate a half bar of sugar free chocolate and it was SO awful! My poor belly was rumbly and grumbly and not at all happy with me. Never again.

I don't know how many people are still reading this thread since it's nighttime, but we just heard that a close friend who's been very sick with a failing heart JUST came out of transplant surgery! Everything looks good and the doctor said he had maybe weeks left with his old heart, so this is extremely exciting news. He's only 30 years old and has two young boys and a wonderful wife. We were stationed together at the Air Force Honor Guard in D.C. and he just all of a sudden got really sick. But now he's definitely on the road to recovery! Praise God!

Kara

CarCar
02-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Ahh..ladies! I don't know where I've been.

I really need some new motivation! The last two days I've had some cheats and I feel like I may be slipping a little. Yesterday was my friend's birthday and we went out for Mexican food and margaritas. I had too many chips, 2 small tortillas with my fajitas (I'd forgive myself for that had it not been for the chips), and worst of all, 2 big margaritas. I ate on plan for breakfast and dinner, but I felt bad about lunch. I guess that would have been all a little more okay if I hadn't decided to have pizza for dinner tonight! So a few slices (at least on wheat) and 2 glasses of wine later I am feeling awful! I ate more than I needed - but it was tasting good. Then I came home and had some WW bagel chips with goat cheese, which I wasn't hungry for, but just wanted. Those are so in line with my old ways -- eat because it tastes so good.

I'm nervous for the weekend. I'll be at home visiting the fam and we are always very into eating/trying new restaurants/going out for dessert. I am really hoping I can find all my willpower again. I've been doing really well and would hate to stall my progress.

Sorry to rant about that, but it feels good to be back on the site, and since this is such a huge part of my motivation, I'm not sure why I went MIA so much lately (crazy nights spent at work to get projects done, yes, but I can and WILL make the time to be here). You guys are all so inspiring and just fun to read about (for lack of a better term), so I hope to be back on the boards starting now.

The good thing is...even with these cheats, the eating habits are so much better than before, so it's almost a relief to know that I can and do feel bad about this stuff.

I hope everyone is doing well...