Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/230.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Smile Can medication affect your efforts?

I think this question must have been asked many times... I apologise I was wondering how many people have been on antidepressants or antipsychotics and have had trouble losing weight?

I didnt think of this obstacle until somebody mentioned it to me yesterday. I hadnt thought that my medication might affect my efforts. I've tried so hard all day to stay positive while researching this, and my extremely high motivation past couple of days is still here.

I went to see a pharmacist today and asked her how my medication might affect my weight loss, and she said I should still be able to lose weight, but it may come off more slowly. This was a bit of a downer because i'd already worked out that at my general pace of 2-3 pounds a week (based on doing the same diet 3 years ago) i'd get to my goal in about a year.

She didnt specify how much "more slowly" was - If i'm only losing half a pound a week, say, then it'll take me 4 YEARS to get to my goal.

I've tried so hard to be positive last couple of days but now I find myself in tears of frustration at myself. I feel like I want to know all the absolute definite facts, though there might not be any - I suppose it would be different for each person. I want to know what to expect and I dont want to do my very best this week and weigh in next week to no avail.

I want so badly to be my ideal weight and I know I have to be patient.... yesterday it felt like a goal that was absolutely within reach. Today it feels like something that is totally unrealistic and could never happen ever.

I have 60mg Fluoxetine and 0.5mg Risperidone per day.
Have tried reducing Risperidone but severe anxiety returns. Am consulting therapist tomorrow to see what he suggests - may find a replacement.

Thank you so much for reading and i'm so sorry for babbling on, and thank you so much in advance if you reply.

Lilly xx
Little Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Weeeeelllll... I'm on the fence on this one, and here's why: it's possible that the variety of different antidepressants I was on (and off) for years hindered my ability to lose weight. It's possible. What DID change, was finding the RIGHT antidepressant, which helped my brain click into the gear necessary TO lose weight. I credit finding the right medication with about 80% of my success thus far. Without it, I'd still be tired, unhappy and fat.

So - can they hinder your weight loss? Certainly, if you consider the inability to focus on weight loss and the effort required to succeed as a hindrance, which it certainly is.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/199/120ish

Height: 5'2"

My doc did tell me my meds would affect my metabolism, but I'm on multiple medications for epilepsy, depression, headaches, and back pain. I was in a car accident when I was 13, really messed things up. I'm trying to low-carb right now and exercise at least 5 days a week and I'm losing. So, it's possible. When I first started the meds I'm on, I knew they could affect weight. I think I just said what the heck and ate all the time. It was definitly about attitude.

Missy
missymckibben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #4  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

I see both sides of the issue. I know several people who believe that their anti-depressants slowed their metabolism, but I actually credit mine with helping me lose weight. Without treatment, I was always agitated, and using food to self-medicate. My prozac has helped me manage that over-riding agitation, so it no longer dictates my food choices.

The way I think of it is this: antidepressants change the base you are working from. Your diet needs to be built on the base you are actually working from now and account for your metabolism and any emotional eating issues you have. Also, I'd caution not to get too caught up on replicating you previous weight loss sucesses. In my experience, each time is different and the trick is to work on what works now.

Good luck!

Last edited by Amarie2pt0; 02-13-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: I still can't spell... oh well
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #5  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hear, Hear, Amarie. Well said.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote