Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #1  

Default 1 Week on Deliciously Yours (eDiets) - My Honest Feedback

I just canceled my Deliciously Yours subscription after 1 week of food. Here's why.

While I LOVE the idea of diet delivery and the cost is not a big deal to me, I was greatly disappointed by one huge thing.

Almost *everything* that was sent to me contains partially hydrogenated oils.

Could someone please tell me what the point of this is? I go to great lengths to not put that crap in my body, yet a company that is supposed to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle has it in everything? Ugh.

Also, the chicken was totally gross - all pre-formed and chewy.

The other thing I have a gripe with is that they sent many things that I could just add myself for a fraction of the cost. A pre-packaged bowl of Raisin Bran. A Nutri-Grain bar. A hard-boiled egg. Etc. I am sure I was paying far more for that stuff by having them buy it, pack it and ship it to me in a big box. Yes, it's a convenience, but I also would love the option to do that shopping myself for the week.

All of that said, it's amazing to have everything right at my fingertips. There's NO guessing or wondering if I am eating the right things in the right amounts.

I strongly suggest that anyone considering a diet delivery plan check with them on ingredients. Please don't put partially hydrogenated crap in your body. No amount of fat loss is worth that.

If anyone has any specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer!

Laura

PS. I think I have lost weight, though I haven't done a weigh in yet. Now that I have gone through a week of proper portions, I am very confident I can do it on my own.
Lauraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #2  

I just tried to have lunch - Slammin Ham Sandwich. I grilled a chicken breat and some veggies instead. The cheese was dried up around the edges and the ham meat looked pretty gross. Even my hubby said he couldn't eat it - and he'll eat anything.

Oh, and high frustose corn syrup and enriched wheat flour in the bread. OY! Very disappointing.

Gosh, I have to be Nancy Negative about this... I just want people to know what they are signing up for! I am going to email the company - I will let everyone know what they say.

Laura
Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #3  

Oh awesome, this just gets better and better.

I was writing my email to the company and I was going through the ingredients of the food I have had and almost everything has this:

"Pomace Olive Oil (with 10% extra virgin olive oil)"

While I love olive oil and use it all the time, I had never heard of this kind. So I googled. I can't post links because I don't have enough posts, but I will cut and paste some of what I found.

Quote:
Pomace Olive Oil

Olive presses are unable to extract a residual 4% olive oil the olive pulp. A process of "hexane extraction" is able to chemically extract most of this oil, which is then refined. Used primarily to make soap.
Quote:
The third type of pressing requires heat and chemical treatment as any oil left in the POMACE [residue] is by now difficult to extract.

All kinds of processing can take place to extract olive oil by-products from the pomace. These are used in the manufacture of soaps, shampoos, conditioners, cosmetics and toiletries and are usually made from the lower grade refined oils. Some unscrupulous operators mix low-grade olive oil with pomace and call it pomace olive oil.
And the best, from a UK .gov website:

Quote:
The Food Standards Agency is advising that Spanish olive pomace oil should be withdrawn from sale and consumers should not use it.

What is Spanish olive pomace oil?

It is made from the residue left after producing virgin olive oil. It is the lowest grade of olive oil.

What is the problem?

High levels of chemicals that can cause cancer have been found in these oils by the Spanish government. This contamination is believed to result from the process used to produce this oil.

How could this affect me if I have used these oils?

We cannot be sure if there will be an adverse affect. We are all exposed to possible cancer causing chemicals as part of everyday life. Nevertheless, exposure to these chemicals should be reduced as far as possible in food.
Basically, what I found is that this oil has a very high burn point, so it can be used in frying. While some people do say it's okay to eat, and it apparently *is* used in restaurants, most people say to only use it to make soap.

So glad I ate this stuff.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #4  

I tried ediets for one week also, and boy that just almost rubbed me of my desire to 'diet' I thought the food was horrible, all those people raviing about it, so I psyched myself, got very excited and for what a square box of vegetable lasagna, please. I also had a problem with the slimy eggs, and still have some of the easy to buy yourself, prepacked cereal, oatmeal crap they sent me. What finally ended it for me was the goolash meal they sent, that was just inexplicably bitter. As you can see I am still pissed at the experience 4 weeks later, after cancelling, I decided to try another company because I really do struugle with portion control, I have been on DTG for 3 weeks, starting my 4th, and while some meals have been awesome, a few have been, misses, what I like about them, is their portion is slightly larger, and the food, chicken etc tastes better than anything I could make. I really need to stop telling people about them though, cause it seems they are expanding to fast, and next thing you know the quality suffers. BTW I am on their low carb plan, which is hard, because I don't get to try any of their yummy pancake with strawberry breakfast. I haven't lost as much as I can though, because I have cheated a little bit, but I hope I have learnt to control that better. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to add my 2 cents in.
oseybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #5  
Lose Weight in 2008!

Height: 5' 3"

I did it for a few weeks, and was not impressed. The food did not last a week in the frig either. There were some things that I thought were good, but the chicken was nasty!
BabyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196.5/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Lauraaa, I totally agree with you re scary ingredients in DY! What is up with that!!
noodlebean is offline   Reply With Quote