Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/231/160

Height: 5'6

Question Healthy Pregnancy?

HI everyone!

I was wondering if any of you followed a food plan to not gain too much weight during your pregnancy! I am 6 weeks pregnant and was doing Medifast before finding out about the baby! I do not want to gain back the weight lost and i was hoping i could actually stay around the same weight during the pregnancy! I would like to stay under the 200 pounds, which is going to be hard especially since i am at 197. I was looking into following a version of the 3hour diet since the food is SO healthy and walking a lot! Any tips? With my first pregnancy i gained 50 pounds and i do not want to go back to 250... My child is now 18 months and i JUST reached Onederland a few weeks ago... Any advice? Please?
Floprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You are not going to be able to eat an extreme low calorie diet during your pregancy, such as Medifast, etc.

You can watch your calorie intake, but you need to be sure that you are eating enough to fuel your needs, as well as those of your developing baby. Medifast averages around 1,000 calories a day, and many plans such as calorie counting, Weight Watchers, and others average 1200-1800 per day. For an expecting mother, most references recommend eating 2000 calories per day on average, which is considered more of a "maintenance" level of calories, during your first trimester.

In the second and third trimesters, you would need to add 200-300 per day, because the last two trimesters is when the most size/weight development happens in the baby.

You cannot expect to start out at 197 pounds, and stay under 200 for a pregnancy. You simply can't, in most cases.

What needs to be understood, is that there are many changes that are going to happen weight-wise, that have nothing to do with fat. The baby will weigh 5-9 pounds on average. The placenta can weigh 1-2 pounds. The bag of amniotic fluid can add a pound or two by the end of the pregnancy. The uterus itself goes from the size of a lime, to large enough to house the baby, placenta, and the amniotic fluid. The uterus will weigh more than normal at the end of the pregnancy as well. Also, many women gain a full cup size or more in their breasts, and they get heavier, during pregnancy.

These reasons are why the recommended weight gain range (for women of average weight) are often in the 25-35 pound range, and 10-20 pounds (for women who are overweight). A lot of the weight gain has nothing to do with actual fat.

I recommend that you speak with your doctor, or a nutritionist, about your concerns. I recommend staying active-walking, prenatal workouts, etc. during your pregnancy. Have your doctor suggest a guide to eating that will help keep you more fit, but will be sure to keep you and the baby in optimum health during your pregnancy.

I understand your concerns, and I have been there myself. I have lost weight successfully, and have had to gain some back with each baby, and start over again. However, it is a temporary situation.

Please speak to your doctor, and see if he/she can recommend an eating regime for you to guide you through this. Some gain is normal and expected, but you might be able to stick with a guide, and with regular exercise, have a moderate weight gain for your pregnancy-rather climbing up 50 pounds. (A happy medium. )
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #3  

Thank you so much for your kind words! I will definitely ask the doctor next visit!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #4  
Goodbye Fat!

Floprieto, just to give you my story. I lost 6olbs before getting pregnant and still had 20 more to go. I spoke to my doctor about exercise and my diet. I exercised right up until little Lauren made her appearance and ate a healthy diet. I did gain 30lbs, but it all came off in 9 weeks. Definetly talk to your doctor first, but know the exercise helped me alot.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #5  

Thank you dolly! What kind of exercise did you do?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't know about her-but I did prenatal yoga (Crunch Yoga Mama), walking, belly dance, and prenatal a strength training workout. (Quick Fix Prenatal Workout)

Bought both of the dvds from Amazon-and I loved them!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #7  

Thank you aphil!