South Beach Diet - Will you be mine, Dr. Agatson?

View Full Version : Will you be mine, Dr. Agatson?

only1naked
02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
If you are planning to celebrate Valentine's Day, do you have any specific dinner plans, whether eating in or out? :val1:

At this point I am not sure what hubby and I are doing. I keep hinting for him to pick up some nice filets or lobster or something extravagant to eat at home. Not sure if he is up for cooking for me though.

KO
02-11-2008, 03:39 PM
We're going for Mexican and I already know What I'm having black bean soup and puerco guisado no rice we're going to have some wine and maybe dessert

tammie00
02-11-2008, 04:03 PM
We are not going out that night because the next night we have a big party type thing to go to.
Tammie

tomandkara
02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Well, since there are 7,000+ miles between us, there won't be any edible temptations on Valentine's Day. I *am* thinking about making a nice dinner for my in-laws, though, since they're being so nice to let us stay with them. I should search around the recipes and come up with something fun!

Kara

SCraver
02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
My honey buns has class on Thursday nights! So, I will get to spend the evening alone! :stress:

Neko
02-11-2008, 06:25 PM
My husband isn't the romantic type. So I shall be cooking dinner as usual.

femmecreole
02-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, hmmm...does a sack of oysters count as romantic????

Actually my oldest son's 24th birthday is Wednesday, so he decided he wanted a sack of oysters for his birthday dinner and can't come over till Thursday. I got him a new oyster knife and anvil not too long ago and he wants to play with it. A sack of oysters and strawberry shortcake...what a combo, but if that's what he wants, that's what he gets!

Schmoodle
02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Cat, under the right conditions, I think a sack of oysters could be very romantic. Aren't they rumored to be aphrodisiacs?

For us, with DH away, not much will be happening here. I got some goodies for the kids. Maybe I'll treat myself to a glass of wine or some chocolate. We'll see how weigh-in goes on Thursday.

But even when he's here, we don't get too worked up over Valentine's Day.

GONNABE165
02-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Cat oysters! can I come? I just love them. We did them on a regular basis before my dad got sick, I grew up next to the fire barrel with my dad cooking them I use to eat them only raw but now they have to be a lil cooked

Schmoodle ;) yes thats what they say abot oyster

As for me & dh we have reservations at the Chart House and I will get my usual fish & asparugus and of course the chocolate lava cake for desert

little chick
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
We are not doing anything. I have my dance class on thursday night. I don't think that they have cancled it. My DH is not at all into Vday, or romantic either on any occassion. lol.

cottagebythesea
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
We usually stay home and I make a special little dinner. This year I'm making a steak for Jake and salmon for me, with baked sweet potatoes and a salad. Dessert? Just use your imagination! ;)

amasam
02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
DH is out of town this week - which may be good, as I am on Phase 1 and today is his birthday and Thurs is V-day. If he were home, there would certainly be a planned cheat involved - certainly wine, and possibly a small dessert!

So I will be alone - reading, and staying on plan!

SAnativegirl
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Not sure. We SAY we're going out for glass of wine and appetizer somewhere. But usually we stay home with him cooking. i got him a neat card and a bottle of merlot.

dcapulet
02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Legal Seafood for us. My first time eating a fresh lobster!

Schmoodle
02-12-2008, 04:25 PM
cottage!:o

souvenirdarling
02-12-2008, 04:28 PM
The family of friends of ours throwing a big party at a hall on the 16th- multiple course meal, open bar. An Italian do. Lots of dancing. It will be a definite splurge.

only1naked
02-12-2008, 04:38 PM
dcapulet, yum!!! I am jealous. Watch out for the butter.

SkinnyDogMom
02-12-2008, 11:34 PM
DH is working way too many hours right now to get a project in on time to think about trying to go out. So, that leaves me thinking I should go to the grocery and find something to cook for us. I'm thinking salmon and shrimp, sweet potatoes and a big salad. Dessert will be the one thing I'm not sure what to create. He LOVES chocolate...so I think I will head over to the recipe section here and see if I can come up with something PH1 or PH2 to create. He usually takes me out to a fancy dinner. I think it will be nice to stay home, espcially since it got so cold here this week.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY LADIES!

cottagebythesea
02-13-2008, 07:36 AM
SkinnydogMom, for a yummy dessert idea that is also very special, how about dipping some strawberries into dark chocolate? This is also delicious with clementines or any other kind of fruit, too.

beachgal
02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I second the fruit dipped in dark chocolate. :T You could even cut up a bunch of fruit (I actually did this and added little pieces of SBD peanut butter cookies, too! :devil: ) to dip in dark chocolate fondue! I think fondue is such a romantic meal! :love:

DH is not much of a romantic...and I've, unfortunately, gotten used to it. :( After over 10 years of trying to encourage him by setting an example, I think I've finally give up. :shrug: I got him a card and suppose he'll get one for me. When he asked what I wanted to do, I told him that I wanted him to surprise me, but I don't have high hopes. :p My dad is a MAJOR romantic and always made the day very, very special for my mom and for us girls, too. Even when there was no extra money to be spared, he'd write up little love letters for us all and read the one to my mom out loud to the family. My mom would make a special dinner, we'd all have cards, and my parents would give us candy. It was ALWAYS such a special event for my family, which turns every holiday into a celebration. DH's family doesn't do much "celebrating" of anything, really. The most they ever did was to throw a family birthday party. On the day of the person's birthday, people might tell them, "Happy Birthday" but that's about it. :( I think that's terrifically sad and I refused to give in to it for years, but I think I'm tired of struggling against a brick wall. :( Guess, if we have kids, I'll do it for them, so they know how to really celebrate!

Gonnabe, I wonder if your Charthouse is the same as the chain? My aunt loves to take people to the one near her in Hawai'i (it's so lush and beautiful!) and DH and I loved to go to the ones on the coast in CA. Their mud pie is beyond divine. :drool: They also have an amazing salad bar at the one in Hawai'i...it even has caviar! :fr:

Kim_Star060404
02-13-2008, 11:56 AM
On Valentine's night I'll be doing Avon orders and homework and DH and I have an "appointment" at 8 pm to discuss our Financial Peace University assignment.

Friday night is our "Valentine's" dinner and we'll be having "Rancher's Steak Salad" with roasted asparagus and some wine. Yummy!

GONNABE165
02-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Laurie I'm not sure if it's the same chain. I had never been until dh & I got married & he took me there in a limo on our 1st anniversary and we go there every year on anniversary only so I'm not sure why he chose there for valentines

jillybean720
02-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Jeff and I decided not to get each other anything for V-Day so we could save our money for home improvements (we just moved into our townhouse in August). In lieu of a V-Day celebration, we will be budgeting for a new water heater, a new microwave and installation over our stove (we currently have a big microwave taking up all my counter space!), calling a plumber to fix the leaking overflow drain of the upstairs bathtub, replacing the kitchen countertops, painting the living room, refinishing the kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanity cabinets, buying a space heater for the entertainment room in the basement, new washer and dryer, expanding the basement 1/2 bath to add a shower, replacing the crappy carpet upstairs with hardwood...aah, the fun of home ownership :dizzy:

murphmitch
02-13-2008, 01:02 PM
I have to work til 7:30 but my husband will prepare our dinner...steak on the grill, salad, baked sweet potato, and mocha ricotta creme with SF chocolate sauce on top. Mmmm. My honey always gets flowers and a card for me. He used to get me candy until I told him no more. He even sends flowers to our two daughters and gets a butterfinger candybar arrangement with balloons for our son. He has done this as long as I remember, and my kids just love it.
I got him a card and some chocolate although he gave up sweets for lent. He'll just have to save it for later. Last year we ate our dinner in front of the fireplace at a card table. It was very romantic. I think we'll try that again. Very relaxing after a long day at work.

tomandkara
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Jill, that's a LOT to do in one day!

Kim, we did FPU, too. Great program!

Everyone's evenings sound so nice!

Kara

Kim_Star060404
02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Kara: We're loving it. I think this will be our best Valentine's ever, not because of anything but feeling empowered about getting our financial life in order. We're looking at being completely debt-free in 2013 except for the house. At that point, I'll be able to quit working - I can't wait!!

jillybean720
02-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Jill, that's a LOT to do in one day!
heh, we're not really DOing anything--just budgeting for all the things we want to do ;)

Kim_Star, I am jealous! I soooo wish we could afford for me to not work when we have kids, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. We're fortunate that the only debt we have is my car, my student loan, and our mortgage--Jeff's car is paid off, and he's never had a credit card, and I haven't used one in probably two years since I paid of all the credit card bills I'd racked up in college.

tomandkara
02-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Ah, that makes more sense! You know, staying home with the kids is a bit of a sacrifice, financially, but it's worth it in my opinion. When you figure in child care and what you'd spend in gas to get to and from work and wear and tear on the car...unless you have a really super-paying job, it almost evens out. We scrimp and save here and there, but we survive on one salary (and it's a military salary at that...up until last year we qualified for WIC!).

Kara

jillybean720
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately (well, depends on how you look at it if it's fortunate or not, I suppose), I make quite a bit more than Jeff, so without my salary, we'd likely be homeless--not to mention this is a notoriously expensive area to live in. I won't get too specific, but I'll say we make 6 figures combined and have no kids (except 2 puppies!), yet we can't even afford a single family home around here :o We may be moving in the future, though, to another area that's a bit cheaper (Virginia Beach). The only problem with that is that I currently work for government contractors, so most of the jobs in my field are here near DC. We'll figure it out when the time for kids comes in a few years :dizzy:

Sorry to hijack the thread!

SkinnyDogMom
02-14-2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the dipping fruit in chocolate suggestion...especially clementines and other fruits besides strawberries. I love strawberries dipped in dark chocolate but DH doesn't seem to enjoy them, but clementines are one of his favorite fruits.
I did go to the recipe sections of SBD, low carb and sugar busters. I found 2 flourless chocolate cake recipes. Both are similar and are like chocolate souffles. One called for raspberries added as a garnish. One was listed from Canyon Ranch Spa as the original source. I think I might try that one as the recipe only makes 4 individual cakes with 139 calories each IF you use real sugar, I will use splenda so the calorie count will be less.
Happy Valentines Day to all, I hope no matter where you are, who you are with or who you are without that you feel loved.

beachgal
02-14-2008, 10:31 AM
SkinnyDogMom, one of the mods has a wonderful recipe that makes two little cakes in ramekins. I've made them and was amazed at how satisfying one little cake can be! :T I didn't realize how much influence staring at the rest of a big cake is when you're eating a slice...but having one little cake makes you feel like you're eating something very decadent! :cloud9: