Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 AM   #1  
The hotness! (AKA Kim)

S/C/G: 180/170/125

Height: 5'3"

Default A weight you just can't get past?

This is only my second post as a low carber! I have been utterly faithful to the WOE since January 1, 2008... I have never gone over 35 carbs per day, but usually hover around 20-25 and lost 10lbs in the first 3 weeks! Wahoo!! The reason I'm starting this thread is that right now I am at 170lbs... and have been here for over 2 weeks!! This seems to be the weight I can never get past. Last year while I was on a calorie reduced diet, I gave up because it took me 2 months to go from 170 to 165 and I lost all resolve. I refuse to give up this time no matter how long it takes! What I wanted to know is if anyone else have a magic number? A weight that as soon as you hit, you KNOW you're going to stall? Also, how you keep motivated when it seems like your body is against you?
The best ME I can be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #2  
The hotness! (AKA Kim)

I just wanted to add that since starting, I have not had any gaining. So at least I have that going for me, even if the scale won't go down.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I've got a few questions for you. First, although you may be "stuck" at a certain # on the scale....are you losing inches? Second, what exactly are you eating? Third, how much water are you drinking? And last but, certainly not least....tell me about your exercise

On the bright side, as you've mentioned, you aren't gaining so that is always a good thing!! And Dr. Atkins doesn't consider it an official stall unless its been 4 weeks with no loss on the scale or in inches
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #4  
The hotness! (AKA Kim)

I guess I was a little vague on the details... I'm all atkins. Focusing on lean protiens and TONS of veggies!! I've given up my 5 coffee a day habit, and only have the very occassional one now (with cream and splenda). I haven't changed anything from when I initially started losing, but maybe I should try something different... don't know how though without going off plan.

I am a water monster!! I drink a minimum of 4L a day. I'm perpetually thirsty. Always have been like that. As for exercise, I really could do a lot more than I do now. I walk and am generally active; walk to the store, housework, playing a little soccer with the boyfriend, and I am on my feet all day at work, etc. but no serious hard core workouts right now.

I just don't know. I hit 170 and it's a struggle from there on. I don't think my weird work sched. and sleeping patterns help things though. I read somewhere that people who get a solid amount of sleep every night loose more than us non-sleepers/cat nappers. Sometimes it's hard to get a good sleep though... like right now, I'm on a night shift 11pm to 7am.

Sorry if I ramble too much... but it's 5am here
Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Ok, my next question is, how much cream & how much Splenda? Do you eat a lot of cheese? Cheese is a common "staller" for a lot of people. Do you eat low carb products like dreamfields pasta? tortilla's? etc. What about peanut butter or nuts? If so, how much?

Concentrating on protein & veggies is a very good thing!! The majority of your carbs for the day should be coming in the form of veggies from the acceptable foods list as well as salads.

Sounds like your doing good with your water intake too! So many people neglect that. Do you drink diet soda's or Crystal Light?

Can you give me a sample menu of what you eat in 1 day for breakfast, lunch, dinner & any snacks?

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 02-10-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

JerseyGyrl can help you. Listen to her and read the book.

I always stall at the weight I was when I got preggers with my daughter, 160-164. But I stick with the program and eventually the scale just drops. Also, if you have spent a long amount of time at a particular weight, your body will look at that as a set point for you. You have to stay the course and don't give up. Try a few weeks just at 20 net carbs a day and no more.

JerseyGirl what do you think about Kim doing the "fat flush" as prescribed by Dr. Atkins in his book?
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #7  
The hotness! (AKA Kim)

I got off my horrid night shift, came home and slept for a couple hours and guess what.... 168lbs!! Wahoo!! Hopefully, I will really see some changes now.

As for the coffee, I have maybe one a week (probably less. When I kick a habit, I kick it hard!!), with about a teaspoon of cream and half a tsp of splenda. I don't do any low carb bars, breads, desserts or anything (except my little bit of splenda). I've seen jersygirl refer to this as being an atkins purist, and that is definitely how I want to do this. I do eat about 2oz of cheese a day. Maybe I'll cut it out for a while and see if it helps... but I LOOOVE it!! Haha. Likewise, every once in a while, I'll have a tablespoon of peanut butter to kill a craving. I don't know why it works so well for me, but that little bit can carry me through to my next meal without giving in to the evil valentines candy in my fridge (my MIL sent a TON). I even have the unsalted, unsweetend PB, but I'll give it up if it means seeing results!! I'll just have to get some damn will power... or get BF to hide all the heart-shaped pure evil...

Thanks for the advice!!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #8  
The hotness! (AKA Kim)

I forgot to add that I'll throw a typical menu up here when I have a little more time. Then maybe you'll see something that I don't.

Oh, and all water for me. No pop, crystal light, juice, iced tea, etc. I do have about one a day of decaf herbal tea, or hot lemon water (real lemons, not fake juice)...
Old 02-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

I just started today with the low carb plan, but thereīs two things that may be playing against you (Iīm really a newbie at this so pay more attention to Jersey, she has a PHD in Atkins lol)
1.- The 35 grams of carbs, as I understand u should stick to 20 net grams.. itīs almost double so maybe if you drop a little the carbs youīll start loosing again
2.- The TONS of veggies you are consuming (itīs basically the same as number 1, cause thatīs probably what gets ur carbs up to 35) as I read you should try to have max 3 cups of veggies (the low carb ones) or less if itīs the ones with more carbs..

As I said Iīm just a newbie so I may be wrong.. maybe the "wise" girls can confirm this!
Good luck!
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #10  

Last edited by Rafaella; 02-11-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafaella View Post
I just started today with the low carb plan, but there´s two things that may be playing against you (I´m really a newbie at this so pay more attention to Jersey, she has a PHD in Atkins lol)
1.- The 35 grams of carbs, as I understand u should stick to 20 net grams.. it´s almost double so maybe if you drop a little the carbs you´ll start loosing again
2.- The TONS of veggies you are consuming (it´s basically the same as number 1, cause that´s probably what gets ur carbs up to 35) as I read you should try to have max 3 cups of veggies (the low carb ones) or less if it´s the ones with more carbs..

As I said I´m just a newbie so I may be wrong.. maybe the "wise" girls can confirm this!
Good luck!

20 carbs a day is what Atkins recommends if you're doing Induction. 12-15 of those 20 carbs for the day should be coming from veggies & salad.

Unless you're eating very starchy veggies, going over 3 cups of veggies a day isn't going to hurt you. I have never measured my veggies or my salad....but....veggies & salad aren't what caused me to be overweight to begin with, it was all the bread, potatoes, rice, pasta & sugar.

So....enjoy your veggies and add a little butter or cheese sauce to them while your at it! Enjoy full fat salad dressing on your salad too...thats the beauty of Atkins!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 02-11-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #12  

Lol I didn´t get all the weight from extra salads either, but I do have a problem with portions, I know if I don´t measure I´ll go way overboard so I´ll just measure.
As I just started induction I will try to keep under 20 gr of carb.
Today I went to the supermarket and looked at the dressings and all had sugar or something with "osa" (sucralosa, fructosa, etc) so I didn´t buy any. I thought of that cheese that is like powder (queso rallado is called here) but then I remebered you said cheese could make things slower. Is light mayo ok?
Oh I bought turkey ham and when I got home I saw it had sugar too! Ohh they add sugar to everything (it´s the one you ask a guy to weight so I didn´t see the ingredients until I had the package)

I read in a Chilean Atkins forum a LOT of people complaining about the food, many of the stuff you have we don´t have here and it looks that they add sugar to everything!

Last edited by Rafaella; 02-11-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Rafaella - Just a thought as I am unfamiliar with Chili (other than the entree)...smile...so I really don't know about the foods there, but why not try making your own dressings...it's pretty easy and you can get lots of good recipes for lots of stuff at http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html. Also, you might do better buying "whole foods" (i.e., chicken, fish, beef, eggs). You can make some really good stuff and just store it in the frig for quick meals. Just a thought...hope the link helps you. Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Oh yeah...and "sucralosa" is probably what is referred to here as sucralose or splenda which is okay. "Fructosa"...is probably "fructose" which I believe is the naturally occuring sugar in fruit....so I think it's okay...all in all, check out the carb content...if it's more than 2grams per serving...you should probably chuck it!
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote