South Beach Diet - The Weekend Chat 2/9-2/10

View Full Version : The Weekend Chat 2/9-2/10

cottagebythesea
02-09-2008, 08:05 AM
:coffee: Good Morning!

I'm waiting for everyone to get up and moving, they're a bunch of sleepyheads! Monica and Carley came out yesterday to spend the weekend with us, and we're planning a fun day of shopping for today.
Yesterday was fun, Dad called to say that he and Mom were really looking forward to spending the day with me, and they wanted to go to their favorite restaurant up in Reading for lunch. So we drove all the way up there to find the restaurant closed for renovations. They couldn't think of any other place to go, so we took the long way home, looking for someplace that looked good, and ended up at a restaurant very close to home! We had a good laugh about it, and it was a lot of fun. I know it just made their day, so I'm happy. Came home to find Dustin in our drive, putting new brakes on Andrea's car, and Monica called to say she and Carley were on their way. So we had a full house for supper!
I can hear Carley moving around, Jake just went up to get her. Look's like the day has started!

Ruthxxx
02-09-2008, 08:28 AM
My morning is cranked up too!
Plan for the day? Get dressed in real clothes instead of a robe! (Baby steps.)

CyndiM
02-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Good morning Cottage! Thanks for the coffee :coffee:

Sounds like you had a nice day off. I love just driving around in the country looking for interesting places to stop.

Today we're expecting, believe it or not, more snow. We are certainly making up for last year's winter. I'm going to run to the store and get ingredients for a pot of soup. Noting better on a snowy day than relaxing at home with a fragrant pot of soup cooking. I think I'll go for a white bean, rosemary soup with escarole. Lunch for the week!

My NSV this week was going to the outlet and buying all new under things. Mine were just getting silly. It's nice to be able to buy slightly more attractive bras again. Also bought my first pair of smaller capris. I was going to wait for warm weather but I can't resist a really good sale ;)

I have realized that my body shape now is the result of exercise. That's a little scary because I know I have to continue to exercise regularly or my clothes won't fit. I've never been a comfortable 12 so this is a new experience. I'm so grateful for this website - it may actually help me stay on track once I hit maintenance.

Have a great weekend Chicks!

femmecreole
02-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Happy weekend everybody!!

Cottage, so glad you got to have fun with your parents yesterday...even if the restaurnt trip was a bomb.

Ruth...great for you getting into "real clothes"! You are on your way!

Cyndi...yep, new "drawers" can really help to motivate..it's great feeling like a girl again, huh?

Me...nothing exiting happening here. Got up at 4 to work so I can play later on today when it warms up. Supposed to be a beautiful weekend, so I want to play in the garden. We are having a dinner party next weekend, so I want to start cleaning up the "winter ick" all around the house. Ordered a couple of cute dresses from Urban Outfitters last night (on sale!). It's nice to be able to get cute clothes again. Today is my "day off" from the fluidity bar, but I can notice a difference from it already. Still really liking it too. Last week I decided to take my resistance band to school with me and use it while the kids were busy. I can walk around the room checking on them while stretching away. I also found a 20 video online for resistance band workout while in a chair...so I can also do that when the kids don't need me. Might as well be using the time while I'm sitting there. When they need help, I can just put in on "pause" and come back to it!

The scale has not moved a bit lately, but I had on a pair of "new" pants yesterday that are an 8 and they have gotten pretty baggy (probably run big...those walmart pull on kind, but fit when I got them a month or so ago), so I guess this exercise thing really works, huh? (I have always been an exercise slug) I've have decided to once again put the stupid scale away. It's an idiot. My clothes are much smarter.

tomandkara
02-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Oh, look! I got in in the morning!

Linda, looks like you had a jam-packed family day yesterday! We love Reading; such a cute place. Glad you found a nice place to eat.

Ruth, you should put on your fanciest duds and celebrate your baby step! It's nice to have you back!

Cyndi, enjoy your soup. :T It really sounds terrific!

Cat, you're a workout maniac! Glad to hear you like the new bar so much!

I've got a three mile run on my list of things to do this morning, and then a shower of course, before we head over to my grandparents' for the day. They're really looking forward to seeing the kids and it'll be a nice day out. Then I have to stop by Michael's (OH MY WORD - SO EXCITED!) on the way home because I promised my brother I'd make his birthday cake (he turned 15 last week) and I've got a grand plan for a snowy mountain with a little snowboarder heading down the slope. He wants chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry (?) cake so I've got to get searching on allrecipes.com to figure something out.

Better get to it before the kiddos get up and need breakfast. Have a lovely weekend!

Kara

THINBYJUNE
02-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Good Morning Everyone-

I finally got my laptop back yesterday :carrot:. How did I survive before it? :lol:

Cottage Your day sounds lovely. Have fun shopping

Ruth :hug: Feel better and take it easy.

Femme Congratulations on finding exercise you like doing.

Kara Have a great time at Michael's.

I worked such crazy hours this last week I coudn't get here much but...Kim have fun with the family and Schmoodle :hug: I'm thinking of you and Gonna If there isn't another option for the MRI I'll be in Texas in March and April on business and I'll come hold your hand and threaten doctors, O.K.? :)

DF and I are leaving in 3 hours and 25 minutes for our weekend escape. I'm so excited; even if it is just a two hour drive. I got on the scale this morning and lost a pound. So far the weekend is off to a good start.

Kiko
02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Morning chicks!

Cottage Sounds like a fun weekend for you. I love being surrounded by family. :hug:

Ruth How are you feeling??

Kara I am out of the loop- are you back in the states? I haven't read posts this week.

Femme What is on your dinner menu for the party? Maybe I will drive on over-I think it is only 6 hours or so. :)

Thin Where are you all headed for the weekend?

Me- Pretty quiet weekend here. The weather is supposed to be beautiful, so I am looking forward to that. Abigail has a birthday party this afternoon, and other than church, that is the only scheduled event for the weekend. I need to get a meal plan together and get to the grocery store as well. Food on a budget this week, but we always manage to make it work!

Neko
02-09-2008, 10:33 AM
G'morning. :wave:

I'm being the bad mommy today and I just dropped my son off for basketball practice instead of sitting there and watching. But sometimes you sanity needs a break.

I have to spend the afternoon setting up for our packs Blue and Gold dinner tomorrow. Which involves moving tables, cleaning tables, putting table cloths on tables. Then tomorrow is the Blue and Gold. Our centerpiece will be cute, we made little Mardi Gras "floats" out of shoeboxes. Good thing I remembered my paper flower making skills.

Tonight we have a Game Night at church. It's fun. I'll have to remember to cut up some vegetables to bring because nobody ever brings healthy snacks.

tammie00
02-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Morning

Cottage--I love shopping!! HAHA My daughter used to tell my husband that our motto was "shop shop till you drop drop"

Ruth-Glad you are feeling better

Femme Can't wait till I can buy cute new clothes.

Kiko Good luck on your menu planning.

Kara have a great run and fun at the grandparents.

ME- Just hanging out at home today with the family. Making fish for dinner. I am officially into phase 2. I really enjoyed my orange yesterday!! YUMMY funny how an orange is what i missed the most. I am proud to say that dh has had mini chocolates like 3 muskateers(my fav) in the house for a few days and I HAVEN"T touched them and they are in plain site too. Hopefully this resolve keeps up.

Tammie

tammie00
02-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Neko sounds like lots of exercise. Hey we all need a break sometimes don't feel bad.

Schmoodle
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
You are a flock of upbeat chicks this morning! Just what I needed to get me going. I am alone again as the kiddies spent their Friday night at Grandma's, but I slept like a rock, no waking, and I think I could get used to my alone time every week! I've got an extremely optimistic list of things to do this weekend, so we'll see how many I get through, starting with a run to the grocery store. I am back on Ph1 this morning. We'll see if a week does the trick.

cottage, a day of shopping with the girls sounds so fun, I'm jealous!
kara, what about a chocolate cake with strawberry filling and snowy white frosting?
Cyndi, enjoy your new undies, your soup, and your snow. I've been kinda wishing for some snow, since we haven't gotten our two good storms for the year yet.
Happy dressing day, Ruth!
Cat, that's a great way to use your time to squeeze in some exercise! What do the kids think about it?
Dawn, have a wonderful weekend escape! Be sure and take pictures and tell us all about it.
Hi Kiko, hope your weekend is relaxing!
Welcome to Ph2 Tammie. Great willpower! Can I borrow some?
Hi Neko! Taking a break is what MAKES you a good mommy.

We've got a nice little group of 3FC friends going on facebook, thanks to KimStar. PM me if anyone wants to join us! LC and I are even using our REAL names!

GONNABE165
02-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Good saturday morning gang!

Today is a busy day with cleaners, eye apt and then dh & I are going to the new mall they built a ways away from where we live so that should be nice. The weather is suppose to be beautiful today!

Cottage your time with your parents sounded awesome. It's the lil thngs that matter the most. I hope you enjoy your company

Ruth glad to see your moving into the baby step phase

Cyndi way to go on that NSV

Cat glad to hear your exercise bar is working for you. Keep up the great work!

Kara enjoy your day!

Dawn you are such a sweet heart. Congrats on the 1lb loss! You guys enjoy your weekend

Hiya Kiko

Neko mommys need time to there self I would not call that mean

Tammie love that will power you have going on

Schmoodle good luck with phase 1. Facebook?

tammie00
02-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Smoodle I would love to share the willpower but not sure I have enough. LOL everytime I look at the chocolate I think we will be living near beaches this summer and would prefer not to look like the beached whale!! HAHA
Tammie

bellaluna
02-09-2008, 11:10 AM
In a rush this morning to get the boys to their activities but wanted to say hello and happy weekend to all!!!

Also wanted to say thank you for being so kind and welcoming since I'm pretty new to the Beach forums. :hug: The daily chats are just wonderful!

femmecreole
02-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Just buzzing in to say I just fixed some waffles with a mix I bought at the local organic food store. They were delicious...
they look pretty much SBD compliant...what do you think about the nutrition info??? (https://www.namastefoods.com/shopping/storefront/cgi-bin/item_list.cgi?Category_Id_Search=4&Product_Id_Search=2&Return_Cgi=category_list.cgi)
They were very light and crunchy. I added olive oil for the 2 TB they said to use. Put a little ICBINB spray on top and some agave necter. Made them in my belgian waffler maker, so figured 1/2 of a big old waffle was a tad less than one serving.

tkglenn
02-09-2008, 12:56 PM
good morning, nothing much going on. i weighed myself today and i am 10 pounds lighter. woo hoo. i am so happy. i am doing so good. all puppies are doing good so far. i'm not giving up hope on the two that have cleft lip. they are the smallest of the bunch but they are still doing fine. so is mama. she's a very good mommy to them. how is everyone this morning? haven't had time to read everyones thread yet.

CyndiM
02-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I had to share the yummy treat I discovered last night. I bought a can of Zhena's Gypsy Tea coconut chai. It's definitely pricey for tea but oh so very yummy with a little sweetener (I use agave) and milk (I use unsweetened soy). It smells heavenly and lasts for awhile so makes a nice after dinner treat with no guilt.

cottagebythesea
02-10-2008, 08:16 AM
:coffee2: Good Sunday morning!

We're up and waiting for our accountant to come, he's due here at 7:30 am. It was either take that appt. or wait til the end of March! He's a family friend who's been doing our taxes for years, and it's nice that he comes to our home to do them. :)
I think the rest of the day will be pretty low-key after the craziness of the past two days. But it was sure nice to have all the kids here. At least there's plenty of leftovers in fridge, so I won't have to cook today. :)

Ruthxxx
02-10-2008, 08:41 AM
:wave: from very snowy Delta! We have big Christmas-type flakes falling. So far this year we have exceeded the record and it's still only February.

The group are coming here for after Church coffee this morning. They are bringing everything but I do need to get exercised, dressed and tiddled up a bit so they don't think I'm at death's door.

Have a great Sunday!

tammie00
02-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Good Morning

Cottage that is great that the tax man comes to your house.

Ruth have fun witht the family.

I need to look for the agave sweetner. Everyone seems tolike it.

We are just hanging out at home again today. Need to do some laundry and straighten up some things.

Tammie

femmecreole
02-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Cottage: crunching numbers on a Sunday morning!...I can think of a lot of other things I'd like to crunch instead.

Ruth: Glad you don't have to get out in the snow. I'm sure company will brighten your spirits.

Me: Didn't get much done in the garden yesterday. Started feeling kind of "icky and tired" and achy. So I laid down for "just a few minutes" and slept for 2 hours. I NEVER take naps, so I knew something was up. Still felt kind of weak and achy last night. Feel a bit better today, but not just "right". I have not been sick once since starting SB and hope something icky is not coming on. Got up early to work, now have to go exercise and then hit the grocery store...the cupboard is bare.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

Tammie, we were posting at the same time...get some fun in inbetween laundry loads!

tammie00
02-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks Femme I don't have much todo as far as house work but if i do it today I don't have to do it tomorrow while the kids are at school and hubby is at work. I get to do what I want todo. LOL Hubby is finally going back to real time work tomorrow. YEAH!!!! He is in the military and had 30 days leave when he came home from Iraq and then has been working like half days and such. I love that he is home but I need ME time!!!!!

OK so I am making a commitment here I WILL go to the gym tomorrow!!! I will do atleast 30 min on treadmill or bike 3 times this week and I willl go to atleast 2 ab workouts. Since I am saying it here and I don't want to lie to you ladies I will do this. I haven't been to the gym in months!!!

Schmoodle
02-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Good morning chicks (huge yawn)...
DS had a friend spend the night and they kept me up until 2AM. I just made them some pancakes and me a nice BIG cup of coffee. I've got a huge pot of split pea soup on the stove, now what to do with the rest of the day? Maybe a visit to my grandmother, maybe finish the wallpaper... I'm just gonna go with whatever mood strikes me. I stayed completely on plan yesterday for the first time all week.

cottage, what did you buy yesterday? Let's have a show and tell!
tammie, I'll try your beach trick. Agave = yum!
Hope you had a good Saturday bella!
Cat, yum. Was one half of a waffle filling enough to satisfy you? I would be afraid I'd get started and wouldn't be able to stop. Hope you are not coming down with something. I thought of you yesterday because it was nice enough here to get out in the yard and do some tidying up. I wish you would come visit me for a week and help me plan my yard. I've really got to do some serious work out there this year. We've done so much on the house, we never seem to get out there to do more than mow and plant some tomatoes.
Cyndi your tea sounds heavenly! Where did you find it?
Ruth, I am in the mood for a little snow, please send some my way. You sound like you are getting back to your old self, is the knee less painful now?
Hi tk!

Have a good one chicks!

femmecreole
02-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Schoodle..yeah, 1/2 was enough. It was a belgian waffle, so kind of big. Do the ingrediants look ok to you? It's not something I'd eat every day, but as a Saturday morning weekend treat, it was really good. I didn't notice it kicking in any cravings either. I had a piece of catalope and a slice of fresh pineapple with it too since we ate around 10, so I combined breakfast and snack. I know pineapple is on the avoid or eat rarely list, but it was really good and not something I've had in 10 months. A real treat.

ixrayu
02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Good morning everyone. Sounds like everybody is having a good weekend.
I have just tried to catch up on laundry this weekend. Evan had his girlfriend over last night for a little while before they went to the drive in. Hannah has been Hannah all week end. Into everything and sassy.
Cat - I love LA. we are going down there the last weekend of the month to visit some of Gary's friends. We will be near the Texas La border.
Cottage- we had our taxes done last week. So glad we didn't owe.
Ruth - I'm new and nosy. If you don't mind telling, what happened?
Tammie - good luck with the gym this week. I'll be rooting for you. Can't wait until I get to go back around March 10.
I'm off to get a shower and cleaned up while Hannah is outside with Gary.

Schmoodle
02-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I guess it's one of those things that are not technically on-plan, but would be okay for an occasional treat if they don't affect you adversely. Like the Kashi frozen waffles - I'll have one of those maybe once a week with some peanut butter, and they seem okay for me. Yesterday I was watching Giada Laurentis, and she had a humongous belgian style waffle piled up with berries, oh it looked so yummy!
Mmmm pineapple, how I miss it. I would say once every 10 months qualifies as eating rarely!

I had decided what I wanted to do with my day, and was very excited! I've been wanting to join the YMCA near here that has a nice pool, and other facilities, and I thought I could take the kids up for a swim this afternoon, and make it a weekly Sunday afternoon event. Then a stop by my grandma's to take her some of my soup.
Just remembered DD invited a friend over to play though, so there goes that plan. Back where I started from this morning.

bellaluna
02-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Cyndi, thanks for the idea!

TK, congrats on the 10 pounds down!!! :carrot:

Schmoodle, the swimming plan sounds great for the future! And split pea soup simmering away, you're ready for the day!

Cottage, good luck with the taxes. (I'm now shuddering at the thought of preparing ours.) Way to go, getting them done today!

Ruth, have fun with your guests!!! And feel better!

Tammie, great gym commitment!!! You go, girl!!!

Ixray: hope you're having good weather in sunny LA (glamorous place to live...)!

Femme, that sounds like an elegant and wonderful waffle. (I had one bite of pineapple last night, too...it was on top of my burger...and delish.)

Happy Sunday, all!

CyndiM
02-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Good morning (oops, afternoon!) Chicks!

Cottage - Enjoy your afternoon and your leftovers :) Leftovers are the best.

Ruth - It's snowy here to, though sounds like you've seen a lot more. Last year was so mild here it's hard to wrap my brain around all this snow. Glad to hear you're up and about and entertaining :)

Femme - hope today is better. I'm just itching to get at my garden catalogs. I love hearing about your garden - gives me hope that the snow will melt here someday!

Tammie - you go girl! Gotta get time in for you. I was a crabby mom when I didn't make time for me.

Schmoodle - I found the tea at our co-op. The company does have a website that lists local stores. I had a mug again last night. It tastes so decadent :)

Sherry & Bella :wave:

We are off to a very slow start today. It's very windy and snowy so I think it will be an at home chore day. I did clean out my closet again this morning. I have so many really nice tops I bought at the end of the long sleeve season last year and now they are all too big. I've had several years at this size to accumulate a nice wardrobe, now it's all off to the thrift store. They love me there ;)

Okay, the washer is binging at me - time to move the towels. Have a good day all :snowglo:

GONNABE165
02-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Good Sunday afteroon my fellow chick friends!

Yesturdays eye apt was a success! My eye doc said my eyes respond better when I wear my contacts so she wants me to do that all this week and let her know of my progress on our follow up next week.

I have been to church already and dh & I are getting ready to have some lunch and then head to his softball practie where I plan to walk the track the whole time - I figure I can get in at least 10 miles.

Hope you gals are having a great day!!!!

cottagebythesea
02-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Taxes are done, and we even get a refund this year!!!! Afterwards we went out for a little grocery shopping and lunch, and now we're home for the rest of the day. I have to sew some badges on Amber's brownie uniform, but I plan to just curl up and read for the rest of the afternoon.

Schmoodle, a pot of soup on this freezing and overcast day sounds simply wonderful! Would you believe I've never had split pea soup? I'll have to find a good recipe and make up a batch one day - care to share yours?
I didn't buy anything for myself yesterday, I just bought several pairs of pajamas for little Tyler. He's growing so fast we can't keep up with him! Monica got a great buy on a coat, originally $259 marked down to $59! She bought a nice quilt wall-hanging and several other trinkets for Caitlyn to give as gifts to her host family when she goes to France next month.

GONNABE, I'm glad you had a successful visit to your eye doctor, at least you're getting some good news at last! Don't wear yourself out at the track this afternoon!

Cyndi, more snow? I'm kind of keeping my fingers crossed that Cindy and her family will get snowed in and not be able to drive back home tomorrow. That will mean an extra day off for me!

Bella, enjoy your day! How's your Phase 2 coming along?

ixrayu, hope you get your laundry chores all finished!

Cat, I hope you are feeling much better by now! Enjoy your gardening, I just can't wait until I can get outside and play in the dirt again! I was looking longingly at some packets of flower seeds at the market this morning.

tammie, I hope you get all your housework finished today so you can just play tomorrow!

ixrayu
02-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Bella - I live in Alabama. Sorry for any misunderstanding but I meant I love Louisana. I LOVE the food there specifically. Other than not having mountains (which we live on one) it is a lot like home. Sure wished I lived somewhere sunny and warm.
Back to laundry and tending to little Miss Sassy. Who told her brother's girlfriend that she liked this other girl better!!! The joys of a 4 year old.

Schmoodle
02-10-2008, 03:52 PM
cottage, if you like the fireside white bean and sausage soup, I think you would like split pea. I love it.
It's easy to make. If I have a ham bone or some ham hocks in the freezer, I boil it up the day before in a pot of water, strain it, take the ham off the bone and add back to the broth, then I like to refrig overnight so the fat rises and I can skim it. If not you can use store bought veggie stock and a piece of ham and do it all at once.
To the broth add 1 lb of split peas, a couple each of carrots and celery chopped, a chopped onion, ham (if not already in) 1 tsp thyme, a few bay leaves, additional water if needed to total about a quart. Bring to a boil and simmer about an hour or longer, until peas are cooked soft and fall apart and soup is nice and thick. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. I don't add salt until the end as the ham can make it salty enough.

Yesterday I chopped the veggies for the soup and also some red peppers, onions, and zucchini for a Taco Bake on Monday, and I accidentally threw the wrong veggies in the soup. Then I threw in the right ones. It turned out really well. I used to put some potatoes in my split pea, and the zucchini is a great substitute in this soup. Happy accident I guess, although now I have to chop more veggies for the Taco Bake!

I got a recipe from my sister-in-law for a red lentil and spinach soup she said was awesome, so I'll try that one next Sunday. I'll post it if it turns out really good. Yum, yum, bean soups are one of the best things about winter!

GONNABE165
02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Well I'm back from the park I walked the track for 70 minutes and I could have kept walking except dh was done with practice.

Cottage it's always nice to get a refund

I hope your felling better Cat

Gotta run now as dh wants to go to kohls for a new belt.

cottagebythesea
02-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the recipe, Schmoodle! I'm going to stop off at the store tomorrow morning, right after Curves, to buy a ham hock and a bag of split peas. If I didn't have to use up all these leftovers today, I'd make it right now. :) I hope your SIL's recipe is better than the one I tried for Red Lentil & Spinach Soup. I thought mine was lacking in flavor, although I posted the recipe on the boards here.

Barb0522
02-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm just back from the grocery store. I'm having two dinners of leftovers from the freezer and then have 5 meals to make from scratch. I'm not sure which I'll make tonight. The weather is so pretty I just don't want to be inside. The pool looks gorgeous. If the water was about 20 degree warmer, I'd go for a swim! Of course there is a cold front going through tomorrow night but I'll enjoy this while I can. I want to head to the nursery and start looking at plants for around the pool but I'm sure we still have a couple of freezes left so I had better wait.

Neko
02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Spent my whole day doing Scout stuff. The morning was Scouting Sunday. We went to church at the Methodist church that sponsors our pack, rather than our usual church. It was nice, the reverend made the whole sermon related to knot tying and the scout oath.

Our afternoon was the Blue and Gold dinner. My Den got their Wolf awards. Now that we're done with the major work we can spend the rest of the year working on some more fun belt loops and the World Conservation award. When I get my pics uploaded onto photobucket, maybe I'll post some here.

Unfortunately, I had to eat off plan at the Blue and Gold. I was there setting up for a couple of hours before hand and the dinner itself goes for 4 hours. I'm pretty sure chicken marsala and eggplant rollatini aren't South Beach, but I'll never make a fuss at an event. My only other choice would have been to eat nothing but salad for 6 hours. Now that it's dinner time I don't even feel like eating. Yet my husband and son can be hungry and order a pizza. :barf: