Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #1  
Hillary/Plan 4/No Lites

S/C/G: 258/253/180

Height: 5' 10''

Unhappy LAWL is disappointing me.

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this site and SO glad that I found it. I've been browsing for a couple hours and realized that I should post to get some support and hopefully tips, because I am LOST!!

Some background:

I am 22 years old, around 250 lbs (my weight fluctuates day to day, anywhere from 247-251) and 5'10''. I've struggled with weight since I was around 10 years old. About a year and a half ago I lived in a place where there was no LAWL and my mom was on LAWL here in San Diego. I know it's "illegal" but she sent me the materials and I went from about 265 down to 204 in less than a year. I was on the "Red" plan with no lites and near the end switched to purple on my own when I hit a plateau.

I started gaining weight quickly as soon as I got slightly off track, quicker than I had ever gained before. I graduated college in May 2007 and moved back home and decided I needed to get back on track. I attributed my struggle to not being a "real" member of LAWL and joined in early June, 2007. I was 258lbs then. I followed the plan to a T and desperately missed being 204. This time they put me on plan "Red 1". It didn't work at all for me, I lost 7 lbs which is better than nothing, but over a period of about 3 months. Then they came out with the new plan and put me on plan 4. I couldn't lose weight with that either. So they moved me down to plan 3 because it was so much food. I still couldn't lose weight. Then the lady I usually see told me that I should get LA Lites because they help with weightloss and I should see the numbers drop on the scaled. I decided to try that because i'm desperate to lose weight at this point and sure enough, still maintaining. So, I got pissed and stopped going for a few weeks because it didn't matter if I followed plan, I was stuck for a few months at the same weight.

Then I decided to go to the doctors. I thought something might be wrong with my thyroid because I was exercising 4-5 days a week and weighing and measuring and still, i'm around 250 lbs. My doctor performed a ton of tests on my blood and found out I have hyperinsulinemia (basically pre-diabetic) and put me on Metformin. This was supposed to help with my weight loss. I continued on plan for a couple more months, through December 2007 and still no movement on the scale. I was still between 253lbs and 250lbs.

I went back to my doctor and she put me on Phentermine to help jump start things. I put LAWL on hold because there was no way I could eat all that food while on Phentermine because it suppressed my appetite so much and I didn't want to waste my precious weight loss weeks further. In a month of phentermine I lost 2 lbs. I've been off of Phentermine for about two weeks now and have completely lost faith in losing weight. I've been continuing to work out but have been eating whatever I feel like because I'm so discouraged. And sure enough, I weighed myself yesterday and I'm still 250lbs.

I've been reading up on Hyperinsulinemia and basically found out it will be hard for me to lose weight forever. and I'm supposed to be on a low GI diet. However, I know from reading the nutrition facts on the lites that they are not good for someone with my condition. And now I'm stuck with around 50 boxes on my account and will probably end up having to sell them on ebay. I honestly wish I could get my money back since it isn't working, but I'm stuck. I wish It would work, but it isn't.

Have any of you gone through a similar situation? I really want to stick with LAWL and have it work, it's just so frustrating. It's been a little over 8 months now and i've lost about 8 lbs. But all of those 8 lbs were lost in the first couple weeks.

I just called to make an appointment with the nutritionist at a different location in San Diego, because the one I go to is filled with people that are pretty much clueless to what to do in my situation. I'm hoping a new center will help and have ideas for me.

Any tips/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your support. I'm lost here.

(I'm also posting this on the diabetes thread and insulin resistance thread)

Last edited by hillx; 02-08-2008 at 01:34 PM.
hillx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Hillx, normally the plan does work just like it did for you when you first tried it. You did lose over 60 pounds on it once. It is a sound plan and it sounds like you have additional health issues that are causing it to not work for you this time. That is really unfortunate. I don't know what the answer is, but it sounds like perhaps the La Lites are not good for you. Don't give up because you are not losing, since gaining could be a very real possiblity for you too, and I'm sure that you don't want that. It is likely that with whatever you have going on that if you hadn't been trying to lose, that perhaps you would have gained like crazy. I know it is frustrating for you, but do keep trying to eat as healthy as you can and keep exercising. Hopefully you will find an answer that will help you move the scale lower.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #3  
Hillary/Plan 4/No Lites

I didn't mean to say that I didn't thank LAWL doesn't work, because I know it does. I had such great success before. It just seems like the people at the centers have never seen someone with this condition or haven't been trained on how to deal with people that have certain medical problems. I would love for it to work for me, I just know my diet needs to be modified and they are not supporting me in finding an answer and my paid weeks are going down the drain... They just keep saying they don't know why I'm not loosing. I'm hoping the nutritionist can help me figure out what to do.

Thanks for your support. I will continue to try - and yeah i'm sooo glad i'm not gaining!!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #4  

Hillx, You did the right thing to make an appointment with the nutritionist. Most of the counselors don't know how to counsel special cases. We had one or two counselors where I was that were good at figuring out what plan to put people on, and the rest were pretty much clueless. You need to get to the bottom of it! Some councelors are just there to sell product and are not good at helping anyone who is not helped by using the products. Hang in there! There has to be an answer, even if it is that it is going to be very slow for you. Plus if you've been working out a lot, perhaps you've gained a little bit of muscle and lost a little more fat, so perhaps you are doing slightly better than you think you are. Are your clothes fitting any looser? Not that I think you are likely 250 of pure muscle or anything... but if it was another 5 pounds of fat lost, it would make me feel better about it.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #5  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I am insulin resistant, so I do have a bit of an idea what you are going through. In fact my Dr put me on metformin and phentramine too. I loved the high from the phentramine, but it did nothing for my weight. A few tips for the blood sugar issues:
1- Get a good serving of in cinnamin every day. You can take a few capsules of it or stir a teaspoon into your coffee, oatmeal, etc. Cinnamin is a natural way to help out blood sugar.
2- Make sure you are getting tons of water.
3- Always balance carbs with protein. If you eat a fruit, make sure you are putting a little protein with it like a string cheese or something. Same goes for bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. The protein helps to slow down the carb load.
4- Stick to whole grains when ever possible.
5- Absolutely DO NOT do the bars. Get a Dr's note and make them give you your money back for them. My Dr says that they have way too much sugar in them.

I hope that talking to the dietician helps. Let us know what you find out!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #6  

Katie, I didn't know you were insulin resistent.

Hillx, have you tried using the shakes instead of the bars? I have heard they are better for those who can't tolerate the sugar. Katie, do you think they have too much sugar too?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #7  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi Hilx Good for you for not giving up!!! I have trouble staying motivated, and I do NOT have health issues messing me up right now.....so I admire your persistence!!! Is the nutritionist you are going to go see a LAWL employee? I had no idea they had real nutrtitionists on site at some centers. Be sure he/she is for real before you take any advice to heart.

My best advice to you is to definitely see a nutritionist......and then come to this forum every day for support and ideas. There is such a wide varitey of people here, and soooo many useful real life ideas.......from people that are actually learning, by trial and error, how to get their health back.

And Katie is so right....if you have a Dr.'s note about your condition.....they have to give you your $$$$ back. They may not make it easy for you.....but it is worth fighting for, for sure

Best of luck to you.....and welcome to our little group of losers.....and friends
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #8  
Katie

Barbara- I am not sure about the nutritionals on the shakes, but I will say that I tried them briefly and felt like they were spiking my sugars just the same.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #9  
Hillary/Plan 4/No Lites

Barbara - I have gone down a pant size, so I know the working out is helping. Plus I feel way better and have more endurance than I did a couple years ago. Who know I'd love working out so much? I used to hate it! And no, I haven't tried the shakes. I'll look at the nutritional information and see... but I'm thinking from now on I'm going to steer clear of LA products unless they're super healthy (and I don't think many of them are).

Katie - I will try to get my money back for the bars. Thanks for all the suggestions. It's good to know there is somebody else in my shoes doing the same weight loss plan. Not that I'd wish illness on anyone, but its good to know I'm not alone. Thanks so much for your tips, I'll implement them and see if it helps.

Nicole - Yeah, the lady I'm seeing is a LAWL employee but she is also a nutritionist. I'm going to take everything she suggests with a grain of salt, especially if she tries to sell me anything. I'm hoping she's worked with other people in my situation before and might be able to help. I don't currently have insurance so i'm crossing my fingers that she is legitimate, otherwise i'll have to pay out of my pocket to see a different professional. But, it will be worth it in the end.

Thank you ladies so much for all your tips/support. I'll let you all know what happens after I talk to this "nutritionist" at LAWL on Monday afternoon.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #10  
Katie

Great picture! What is your name, by the way? Oh, most of our chatter takes place on the Losers and Friends thread. Come on over and introduce yourself there!
Old 02-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #11  
Hillary/Plan 4/No Lites

Oh, my name is Hillary. Forgot to mention that....

Cool, I'll check out that area, too.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #12  

Hillary, I know the shakes have all the protein and are a lot less calories. Actually I like the hot chocolat and the cafe au lait the best, way more than the shakes. But if they are too much sugar, they are too much sugar. I know there have been more than one person who has moved back to the old colored plans because the new numbered ones have too much carbohydrates for them to do well on. So perhaps they will move you back to Red or even Red 1, since you are exercising so much with no lites. I bet if you've lost a whole pants size that you've lost more than 8 pounds of fat!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #13  
Hillary/Plan 4/No Lites

Barbara, I just realized I forgot to mention in my original post that about a week before I started taking Phentermine I switched myself back to the old Red plan that I originally lost my weight on. The whole Phentermine thing made me unable to eat much and even the Red plan was crazy amounts of food for me to handle. That's the point at which I put my account on hold for a month and then sorta gave up.

I'm going to try to stick with the old Red plan if possible, I feel so much better on it, like i'm actually working towards something and not just stuffing my face all day. The ladies in my current center basically said they can't recommend me to go back to that plan, but I can do whatever I want because they can't stop me. They also mentioned I will no longer be given journals and will have to make my own because they no longer stock any of the old plan's materials. This seems kind of weird to me because I know alot of people that are either still on the old plan, or are on maintenance on the old plan. It is an option, It's just so easy with the pre-made journals. I'll just have to find a small notepad to carry around with me if I stay with that because I only have half of a red journal left. I will check the nutrition facts on those flavors your recommended to me on Monday. Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #14  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 216/208/140

Hillary - I would make them give you journals! I used the Plan 2 books when I was on Gold, just x'd through some of the circles. Or use a lower plan and add circles - they ended up giving me Plan 1 books for awhile (until I actually started Plan 1) and just added a circle for a fruit and veggie. The way I see it, you have paid them, make them give the things you need! And you know what you need to eat, but the journal, at least for me, is a good tool.

Sorry, don't know about anything else that you are going through...
whatazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 AM   #15  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 225/180/140

Height: 5'7

Good Morning ! I also admire your persistance I would have given up long ago. One of the other members in my center had the same isssues you are having and she took her plan to her dr and had him look it over make suggestion notes on the book itself as to the changes she needed . Then she took the book back to the center and they found the right plan for her. She started losing and has done quite well since then. She does check with her dr on every change that the center suggests before putting it into action though.
You have now found a great support team and bunch of friends that will be a very valuable asset to you and thats the biggest help of all. I also new here but have found that when I am having an issue staying on plan that if I look here someone else is having it or already did and can offer great advice on how to handle it without the giant chocolate bar. So once again congrats for your persistance and know we are all in this get thin and healthy mode together. WELCOME AND BIG HUGS lois
glenslady is offline   Reply With Quote