General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #1  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Default LENT~ What are you giving up?

I am not trying to start any religous debates or arguments, just curious what (if anything) you are giving up for Lent?

My kids both gave up junk food (although I think their definition of JUNK is different than mine..lol)

I am giving up sugar!! I think if it is in the first 5 ingredient in something I will avoid it, plus the obvious which is not putting it IN/ON anything. Maybe that will help me get back into the swing of this healthy eating also....(I CAN HOPE)

So if you have given something up, what is it? Is there a reason for it? (besides religous)

Thanks!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #2  

I'm so bad, I haven't come up with anything yet, I'm giving myself until Friday to come up with something decent that I can stick to. I know, a few days late -- I was also thinking of doing something, instead of giving up -- my priest talked of this once -- maybe signing up to take people to doctors appointments or who can't take themselves or sneaking some little gifts to the senior apartment complex for treats outside a few doors.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm not religious in the slightest, but I've heard about Lent and I find it interesting. Would someone mind explaining why this is done?
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #4  

Lent includes the 40 days before easter -- I won't get into the whole meaning of the 40 days (don't want to make this terribly religious ) but the point of giving up something is to make a sacrifice. Like giving up meat on Ash Wednesdays and Fridays during lent. Kind of symbolic (at least to me) of a sacrifice made for us, that we could at least give up something we are addicted to.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #5  

Stilltryin -- how old are your kids? My son is 8 and I was wondering if he was too young to start getting into the whole "give up for lent" idea.

And, I think I've made my choice, feel so guilty being late with it -- I'm going to give up all the junk food I've been sneaking lately, strictly stick to the diet my nutritionist gave me and start volunteering more regularly.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #6  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi all -

This year for lent I am going to give up asking for more than I have been given. I'd like to spend the season cultivating a sense of appreciation for the life and gifts I have. In my traditions, Lent is not about making a sacrifice, but a time of reflection.

Layri - I was raised Episcopalian, and this link gives a pretty good account of what I was taught about Lent : http://www.newsongepiscopal.org/lent.htm Bear in mind, the traditions vary among the various denominations; a quick google search would, I imagine, give you an overview if you are interested. In my mind, the important thing is to respect the validity of everyone's own traditions.
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

I am giving up alcohol for Lent. I have been very reluctant to do this cause I think it will drive me crazy but maybe not. I am going to sorely miss my Chardonnay. My husband is giving up anything that is not healthy for him to eat so basically he is going on a diet for Lent. I guess he figures he will "kill two birds with one stone". All I know is I have lost my going out for lunch partner!
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #8  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb It is a time set aside for personal reflection and review

I am Catholic. I know that a lot of people think Lent is about "giving up something of the material world" but we Catholics have broaden that in recent years to include "giving up" a bad temper, saying things behind a person's back or being ungrateful.

As you get older and have gone through a few of these just "giving up candy or tv" isn't "enough". You long for going deeper into yourself. I realized while I was fasting and praying yesterday on Ash Wednesday how critical and judgemental I was. When you aren't stuffing yourself full of food, these kinds of self-revelations bubble up to the surface of your consciousness. My DH said he realized how selfish he was. (well I could have told him that LOL).

Since it usually happens at the end of the winter and right before spring happens in Mother Nature, others have also said it is a sloughing off of all the deadness we have as a person and being "renewed".

You don't need to believe in a specific religion to "observe Lent". I like to pick a book about spiritual or self growth to share with my DH. Then, we take turns reading the book aloud to each other and talking about it. It is amazing how the same book and the same words can mean something different to different people!

I have always found it to be a very profound spiritual time. I always learn something about myself.

Last edited by pamatga; 02-07-2008 at 03:34 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #9  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Thanks everyone, good discussion going so far.
Shelby, my kids are 15, 13, and 3. Obviously we do not have the 3 y/o give anything up, but we do tend to focus more on teaching her proper behavior during this time, like being more polite, please and thank you are definately more strickly enforced (not that they arent any other time, but just more conscious about it)
I think at 8 he should be able to give something up, or make some sort of sacrifice, or something like that. Ask your minister/preist what they can suggest for him if you are truely interested in getting him started. I know my kids had such a hard time yesterday with no meat....we had to go out to dinner, well thankfully it was a buffet where there was a lot to choose from, I had a big salad with crab and they "made due" with some vegi's cheese pizza and mac and cheese, plus smaller salads..lol
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #10  

I'm Lutheran and we don't give up something, but instead DO something for Lent, such as volunteer more, read the bible more, spend more time with family etc.

This year the pastor proposed something else having to do with fasting, but not fasting from food. She proposed fasting from the fast crazy life we all have, slowing down and simplifying things, even if only for the 40 days. This is one of the things i am going to do, to clear my life of the busywork and focus on what matter more.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #11  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

For Lent, I am giving up my ultimate pleasure:

Hint of Lime Tostidos.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm a former Catholic, but I still observe the calendar of the church.

My Lenten sacrifice this year is pretty basic: I'm giving up soda. I drink a Diet Coke every afternoon and sometimes one in the evenings when I'm home. So I'm giving them up and sticking to water and tea (and my single morning coffee).

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote