Weight Loss Support - Is your mom skinnier then you?

View Full Version : Is your mom skinnier then you?

horsey
02-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Is your mom skinnier then you? My mom is in her late 60s, but nothing's really new, she's been skinnier then me ever since I hit my late 20s. It's been a bit irritating to donate skinny clothes and have them look better on your mother. She's been a health nut her whole life, I of course rebelled and ate junk food, now I'm asking her questions about why she's skinner, has more energy... funny how these things go in circles. It's something about three meals a day, no eating out, no junk, organic foods, and if you cheat you go work it off within hours... she could have written the book French Women Don't Get Fat, although not French, it's her diet and it works. I'm just thinking if I keep eating right and exercising MAYBE I'll be able to keep up with my mom on vacations we go on!

mandalinn82
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Not anymore. My mom has been the same throughout my entire life, around a size 12. That used to be so much smaller than me, and now it is slightly larger. She has always focused a lot on exercise, though, and eating healthy foods...that is just where her body likes to settle weight-wise.

lilybelle
02-07-2008, 01:55 PM
My mom is no longer with us, but she was shorter and petite for most of her life. I now hear the complaints from my 15 yr. old DD that I am smaller than she is. But, like you mentioned, she eats junk food while I try to avoid it.

lumifan4ever
02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
My mom hasn't been skinny in YEARS!!! But now...I am starting to get as skinny as my teenage daughter. I'm not sure how she feels about it. We went to the doctor the other week and they weighed her. I said, "just another 9 pounds and i'll weigh what you weigh". Also, i will tell her to keep a size smaller juniors pants from what i wear now close at hand so i can try them on. I actually wear a smaller size than one of her "skinny" friends from school. She actually wore a pair of my dress pants to school one day and came home and complained they were too tight around her midsection and bothered her all day. lol. But...her body is in better shape than mine and that's what i'm really going to have to work on.

HarpoChicoGroucho
02-07-2008, 02:05 PM
My mom always has. She weighed in the 140's when she was PREGNANT with both my sisters and me. Her "fat' phase was about 15 years ago when she weighed 160, her highest weight ever. She's turning 50 this year, doesn't exercise, eats pretty much what she wants, and stays around 145. If she gave up her 4 cups of calorie-laden coffee every day (600 calories), she'd be back to her pre-pregnancy weight of 125 in less than 5 months. I tell her that all of the time, but she still refuses to drink any artificial sweetners. And my sisters and I have all been morbidly obese at some point in our lives. We got our dad's genes and overeating habits.

horsey
02-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't know... competing with your daughter? I don't feel that it's a competition with my mom. But as I get older I just wonder how she's done this. Nice skin, thin, positive energy... So I get ideas from her. Sometimes I tell her about the "latest" in weight loss that I read in books/magazines and it stumps her. Now I have a saying "whatever she does I'll do" without many questions. She has certain meals that she eats, always the same thing, rotating days. They say that about life long thin people, they aren't always cooking and trying recipes, they'll have the same thing for breakfast, almost the same lunch and will vary dinners.

PhotoChick
02-07-2008, 02:08 PM
My mom was always skinnier than I am. I inherited my father's (actually his mother's) body type - the Germanic, round, pink cheeked side of the family! :)

My mom was tall (5'10"), slim (always naturally around 130 lbs), with an athletic build (small boobs, narrow hips).

I am 5'4", inclined to gain weight around my hips and tummy, have boobs, etc.

After about age 11 or 12 I stopped being able to wear her clothes because my chest got bigger than hers! :) Shortly after that, everything except my height increased! Even when I was at my slimmest in college (123-ish), I couldn't fit into her clothes.

But then her father and her 2 brothers were all over 6'. And my younger brother inherited her body type as much as I inherited my fathers - my brother is 6'3" and a solid 200lbs of muscle. He's always been athletic and stayed trim. The BRAT. :D

rockinrobin
02-07-2008, 02:11 PM
My mom is also in her late 60's. She has been up and down in her weight all my life. At one point, about 20 years ago, she got extremely thin - only to gain it all back and then some (sound familiar?). Right now she is very, very heavy and it terrifies me. I can't imagine how terrified she was for her daughter, me, when I was so heavy.

It couldn't have been easy for my kids growing up with a morbidly obese mother. I sure hope that my kids have at least learned enough or at least something, from the changes I've made to our home and will never have to struggle like my mom and I did/do.

Zen Pharmacy
02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
My mom looks completely different from me. You wouldn't even guess we were related by photographs.

She's about 5'4" and maybe 110 lbs. Max. Shes very blonde and blue-eyed. She's got a boyish frame with no curves at all.

Seriously, I've been out with people with my mom who have blatantly asked if I was adopted.

horsey
02-07-2008, 02:13 PM
My mom says, that, think about what I'm teaching my little boy. He watches me eat healthy and exercise. Do we learn our habits from our childhood? From our mothers? Even those I had some junk food years, I still go back to the habits I was raised with. If I hadn't now and then I'd have gotten much heavier then I did! Rockinrobin, that's amazing the weight you lost. I'm amazed by stories on this site.

horsey
02-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I forgot about my dad's genes contributing to this, his family gained weight in the stomach BAD. Just like ME. I have my mom's long legs but I'm a mix of genes from both sides.

jmb1981
02-07-2008, 02:19 PM
my mom has always been small. looking at pictures of her when she was my age... ahh! i wish!! i, unfortunately, got my father's genes when it comes to how big i am. i do love that i am tall (more room for that extra weight to spread out), but i am "big boned". i took on my mom's eating habits, what you want when you want it, but since i took my dad's genetics i gained weight like no other! my aunts on my dad's side were all slim, not skinny skinny, but not big like me so i know that if i would have had better eating habits that i could have maybe been like them. oh well, now i have learned and i am teaching my daughter healthy eating habits (although my mom likes to let her eat what she wants when she wants it, i have had to address that with my mom before telling her that i don't want reagan to have to battle her weight like i have) and working on losing weight. i'll get there!

luposlipaphobia87
02-07-2008, 02:22 PM
My mother is 48 and she had always been small. She's a dietitian so she always eats healthy. She's a pack rat and I was helping her (more like forcing her) to clear out her old clothes. She had clothes she still fit into from high school! Hopefully once I lose all this weight I will have an easy time maintaining it like she does.

horsey
02-07-2008, 02:24 PM
They SAY in articles that women have gained about WHAT 20 lbs overall in the past 20-30 years... why is that? Are most of our mothers thinner then us? I look at teens now and many are overweight, when I was in high school, ok I'm admitting it was the late 80s, there were very FEW even slightly overweight kids.

horsey
02-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Maintaining - THAT's what my mom seems to understand. I've seen it over and over with her, she'll gain 5 lbs, and she has never owned a scale in her life, she just knows by the fit of her clothes... she gets to work, walks harder, cuts carbs back and viola, back to that same size she's been most of her life. Perhaps it's discipline, that word I don't like! Self discipline not to pig out here and there, go out to eat, grab junk food snacks. A life of self discipline?

souvenirdarling
02-07-2008, 02:28 PM
my mom was always around a 14, at heaviest a 16. Within the last year she's started smoking (boo) but as also, whether related or not, lost a good bit of weight. She still has a tummy vut has a lovely back, and is around a 10/12. She has a physical job, and just started brown-bagging lunch.

She's 5'8, and when she was my age, she was 125 pounds O.o Naturally skinny, but really skinny. It never used to bother me, but now it makes me feel that I should have better control of myself and more respect for my health.

daizylin
02-07-2008, 02:33 PM
She is smaller than me, now. But hers was health related, and she didn't lose it because she was trying to. She is so small now. I've always had something to hug and it's all gone now!

JayEll
02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
My mom was overweight in middle age, and it's no mystery why I have been as well. In fact, both my parents were overweight in later life. My mom developed diabetes. Later, though, as she became elderly, she lost weight. Food wasn't very interesting to her anymore. So then, the thing was to try to keep her weight up. Her diabetes went away when her weight dropped, and also, she was in an assisted living center where she went to exercise class every morning. (She had no history of exercise before this.) She died at 86 from old age.

At my highest weight, I weighed more than my mom did at her highest weight.

Jay

Rhighlan86
02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Well about two years ago I was skinnier than her and then with everything going on she is much skinnier than me and it kind of drives me crazy :lol: She used to be very overweight, but she has lost a lot because of Lyme's disease. Plus her eating habits aren't the best. I don't want to be skinnier than her because she is 5 inches shorter than me, but I would like to be her size (8).

horsey
02-07-2008, 02:55 PM
My mom's 2 inches smaller then me so I've analyzed and is this correct, 2 inches means I can be 10 lbs heavier then her? I'm 5'9, she's 5'7?

PhotoChick
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Americans as a whole are getting larger - not just fatter, but larger. Statistically, birthweights are higher now than they ever have been.

Part of that is that - despite the "obesity epidemic" or whatever you want to term it - we as a generation have more access to better, more nutritious foods year-round.

If you ever visit a museum that has items of clothing on display, really pay attention to the height and sizes. Or visit historical locations and see how short the doors were and how short the beds were. Just in the last 100 years, the average height around the world has increased by nearly 6" on average, with Americans being some of the tallest (Dutch and German fall next on the scale).

(channeling my inner anthropologist - one of my degrees)

peachcake
02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
My Mom eats terribly. She doesn't eat out much but her habits are awful. For breakfast she has a mocha with no actual food. Sometimes eh eats some lunch then big dinner. She sleeps a lot. Weird. She's about 168-170 and about 5'6. She's not real big though. She carried all her weight in her tummy and chest (as do I). She's a heavy smoker and that is my biggest concern for her health.

horsey
02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Jay I was just losing weight for vanity purposes then I watched the dvd of that Dr. who wrote YOU on a Diet, etc books. He showed what fat looks like around the stomach, talked about diabetes and heart problems. My mom has always gone on and on about my grandmother who had diabetes and how I shouldn't gain weight as it can be genetic. I never really listened but as I get older, I think more, I lost my dad to cancer, I want to live a long life for my boy... now I have to think about my mom aging and pray that all her years of extreme health habits that drove me half crazy will help her live into her 90s at least.

shelby897
02-07-2008, 03:02 PM
My mom has always been overweight, with eating issues she was kind enough to pass on to me and my sister!! :dizzy: At one point, for about five years I was a lot smaller than her (miss those days) but I'm also about 6 inches taller than she is. Every time I lose any weight, I feel incredible guilt that she is still overweight -- even though I try to help her out and she makes febble efforts to lose weight. Don't tell her I said this!! But I actually use her for incentive because I don't want to waste the next 30 years still trying like she does. :(

Shy Moment
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
This topic is interesting because it is starting to cause a small problem in my house. I weigh 14 lbs more than my daughter. She is built much bigger than I am and is a couple inches taller. I am about a 14 and she is about a very lose 12. She tried a pair of my size 12 Levis on the other day and while she could wear them, they were huge on her lol. I tried them on and while I can get into them, I like to breath to much to wear them lol. She is NOT as supportive as she was 44lbs ago. Now I hear " it is my diet foods ", I don't eat diet foods, " it is because I don't eat enough", I try to get all the required amounts of the four basic food groups in everyday, I eat a ton and sure don't do without my mountain dew a couple of times a week. " it is this, it is that ". It is I am eating right, she isn't. It is I am exercising, she isn't. It is starting to cause friction and I feel so bad about this. At the weight I should be, I will be much smaller than her. I am a very tiny person, she isn't. I wish I could figure out how to make her feel better but also let her know she needs to lose a few lbs. DO YOU KNOW it is considered child abuse if you tell your child they are over weight.

ennay
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
No, sadly.

My mom has fought her weight her whole life and the last few years has really struggled. She always ate healthy foods, but too much and she is a classic starve on a diet, then pig out person.

My mom and I were a lot alike.

horsey
02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I read in an article that we as mom's aren't supposed to talk much about weight issues... here's a funny little story. My boy is three and I've been counting calories, little ones seem to repeat mannerisms and things, so he picks up food items and pretends to look at calories, "oh, no, 1000 calories he'll say!" And then he's been getting on the scale, how much do I weigh? he'll ask me with THAT look, same as my look of "oh please scale"... I'm trying to explain to the boy he's supposed to EAT and gain weight, he's a little skinny right now. He's growing. At least he's a boy, how about passing along our weight complexes to our daughters? My mom passed along some ideal of perfection to me that I can't live up to...

crbowles
02-07-2008, 03:48 PM
My mom weighs more than me, but she is also taller (I'm the short one in the family). And she has always gone back and forth with her weight, as have I and she loves food. She laughs when I count my WW points. She tried to do it, but would never write anything down and wondered why she gained weight every week. LOL!

nelie
02-07-2008, 03:50 PM
My mom has spent her entire life struggling with her weight. I think the biggest she ever got was around size 20 but she is a petite woman so I think she may have never gone above 200. Ever since I was in elementary school, she has been "skinnier" than me. We basically both struggled with our own weights together for many years. Now though we wear around the same sizes, although she might be a size smaller in the bottom.

Up until a few years ago, she would always complain about being tired, too tired to exercise. Then she got a gazelle and started working out every night. Ever since then, she says she has more energy.

NightengaleShane
02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
When I was at my HW, my mom was MUCH skinnier than I was!

My mom had her share of struggles with her weight due to her limited capacity for physical activity (she has multiple sclerosis), but she found an eating plan that has worked for her. This plan made her go from 165 to 140.

But while she was busy LOSING weight, I was busy GAINING it! She was maintaining 140 pounds as I had let myself, uh, blossom, to 175+. It was quite depressing knowing my MOM was much thinner than me, as I had always been much thinner than her in my teen years. I never wanted to be "MOM SIZED" let alone 35 pounds MORE! ;) Like Jay, my highest weight was higher than my mom's highest weight.

:devil: Now, I am 12 pounds skinnier than my mom (2 inches taller also) and quite a few sizes smaller (she wears 8-10, I wear 4-6, plus the brands I buy are smaller than the ones she buys). :devil: I am also skinnier than my younger sister who has never had a weight problem. Now THAT makes me feel good! :lol:

beautybooty
02-07-2008, 04:21 PM
my mom used to be. i come from a family of competitive rollerskaters! :)

my mom has never been unsupportive of me but one time i overheard her talking to her friend on the phone after she started gaining weight and she said something that hurt me more than anything.

"i'm getting really big, it's horrible. i'm almost as big as my daughter."

she didn't know i could hear her but it was still awful. i knew that if i told her i heard her she would have been crushed, so i waited a long time to tell her that i heard her say it. it's a bad feeling when someone says something like that even when they honestly didn't mean to hurt you.

she is still a little smaller than me, so i give her clothes that are too small for me

TERAPET
02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Interesting discussion. My mom was overweight for as long as I remember. I would guess at least 60 lbs to maybe 90 pounds overweight. I never cared as a young child but I always worried about her health from when I was a teenager until she died of a heart attack when I was 28. (She was 65). Perhaps her heart health issues were not strictly due to her weight but of course it did not help. I used to ask her why she didn't join WW or go for walks like some of the neighbors. Those things did not appeal to her. I know she tried to be somewhat careful about what she ate but she really enjoyed a lot of social activities centered around food. The poor dear tried diet pills once when those were legal (probably about 1972)-I think they were amphetamines! Thankfully she did not stick with those. I struggle with weight also but I do try to always exercise and improve my eating choices. I hope I do not drive my kids crazy with my constant battle with myself to control my weight but it's not like I can ignore it.

lumifan4ever
02-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I am the shrimp of the family. My mom has me beat by about 3 or 4 inches and my baby sister who is 13 years younger than me has me beat by about 6 or 7 inches. I definately weigh less than both of them. Although, i have tried to help my mom learn how to lose weight, but she too doesn't ever write anything down or count a calorie or anything. And my baby sister says her husband likes her "plump". Well...i don't care what anyone else thinks, i want to be thin for myself and my kids. I don't want my kids to have their friends pick on them for having a fat mom and i want to avoid all the back and feet and diabeties issues that my mom and aunt have now. I want to be healthy, energetic and live a long healthy life for myself and my kids. And i don't look at my oldest daughter like it's a competition but she is just the size that i want to get down to. I actually look at her as my goal. I do tease her alittle but she knows it's just teasing and i certainly am not saying she's fat if i want to be the same size as her. It's actually a compliment.

trekkiegirl
02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
No, my mom is not skinnier than me. We've sort of been on this journey together. She lost 10 pounds early last year and has stayed there ever since. I don't know her exact numbers but she's a few inches shorter than me and I would guess in the 205-220 pound range. It's been nice having her to do this with. She's been a little frustrated at her plateau (I've been at one myself for about 6 months) and there's been differences in what we used to eat before last year and how mindful (or not) we were of it but neither of us are obsessing over weight or food. We're just trying to be more aware and figure out what we can do and see what happens. She is a youthful-looking 75 and doesn't have any major health issues...all she takes is Lipitor and the occasional otc arthritis painkiller. She's not without some aches and pains but her side of the family seems to have pretty good genes and longevity.

shantroy
02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
My mom has always been petite. When she married my dad 36 years ago she was 24 yrs old, 5'2" and 96lbs. She looked like Twiggy (the 70s model) but with boobs. I began weighing more than her when I was in 7th grade. I weigh more than her now, but I wear either the same size or a smaller size in clothing. After two kids, a bladder reconstruction surgery and a tumor revomal surgery, her abdomin has been sliced and diced more times than most, so she has very little muscle strength and ends up carring all her weight in her in that area. I carry my weight much more evenly.

While I'm as short as my mom :(, I inherited my dad larger frame so I'll never be as tiny as she was.

My mom is a relatively healthy eater, but like me she snacks. We both share a love of greasy salty foods. There was very little junk in our house and we ate a lot of lean meats and lots of veg. But we as my brother and I got older we tended to eat out a lot. Like 2 or 3 times a week. Now that it's just my parents at home they eat out way more so she's slowly gaining weight. If that continues we may end up the same size.

twirlandswirl
02-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Pfft, I'm French, and so is my mom, and we're both fat!

Although she's thinner, I think.

Glory87
02-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Is your mom skinnier then you?

My entire life, my mom has been a tiny little size 4 thing. I used to say "I must be adopted, my real mom is a size 14 somewhere out there." When my mom turned 60, she gained a tiny bit of weight (she hit 130 for the first time in her life - she's 5'4", she's since lost the weight). She was always a bundle of energy, didn't need a lot of sleep, fidgety, ate when she was hungry and forgot to eat when she wasn't hungry. She was from the south and ate lots of gravy and butter - but didn't go out to eat much or eat fast food or drink a lot of soda. A natural intuitive eater, I guess.

When I lost weight, I was amazed to realize I am built JUST like my mom. We have the same narrow shoulders, tiny ribcage, the same collarbones, the same cheekbones, the same legs, the same tiny wrists (and the same nose). I got my boobs all on my own (she got implants back in the 80s).

She did a good job with healthy eating habits when I was a kid - no soda in the house (milk or water were our choices), made a relatively healthy dinner every night (meat, starch and veggie) - I was just a boredom eater with a sweet tooth after college.

Here are some pictures from Nov 2006 when my mom came to Seattle for her birthday - I finally look like I could be my glamorous mother's daughter.

http://gloriana.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album07

*added a few more pics from Mother's Day weekend 2007*

drake3272004
02-07-2008, 10:46 PM
My mom is about an inch and half shorter than me, and she has always been skinny! Seven kids later and she is about 125 pounds lighter then me:dizzy: A whole other person!

Gale02
02-07-2008, 11:49 PM
My mom has always been skinnier than me. In fact, now that we're almost the same size, I can tell it's starting to bother her. I've lost a bunch of weight and she's gained some. Of course, she's 6'1" so her size 14 looks different than mine. I think that I used to be her token "fat scale" person without her even realizing it. Kind of like "Well, I may have gained a few lbs, but I'm not as big as Shannon." I don't for a second think she did it on purpose, but it's bothering her now that I'm not that person anymore. But, hey, on the bright side it's motivated her to try to take off the extra 40lbs or so she's put on in the last few years. Glad I can be of some help. :dizzy:

karmuz
02-08-2008, 10:01 AM
wow. yeah. this is actually kind of a touchy subject for me because of how my mother has treated me and my weight issues my entire life, but i'll post anyway...
my mother is thinner than i am. she will always weigh less than i do. she is 5' with a very tiny petite frame. she has never weighed more than 120lbs. I weighed 120lbs in 5th grade, and that was when her misunderstanding of me and my frame began. I am the youngest of three girls, and both of my sisters inherited my father's coloring (dark hair, green eyes, olive skin that tans easily) and my mother's build (tiny frames, though we are all around 5'4"). I inherited my mother's coloring - blond hair, blue eyes, fair skin, and my father's frame - broad shoulders, thicker waist, and a predisposition to gain muscle just by thinking about exercising. my sisters are 5 and 8 years older than me, but a good comparsion I guess would be when we were all in high school. at 18, my oldest sister was 85 lbs and a size 0, my other sister at 18 was a size 2, though I don't know what she weighed. When I was 18 I was 140lbs and a size 9, ergo I was the "fat" one. I was always the "fat" one.
amazingly, I am STILL the fat one, though my oldest sister is now a size 22, and my other sister and I wear the SAME SIZE clothing... I am still treated like the one with a weight problem.
My mother has never, and I doubt she will ever understand that I am ALWAYS going to weigh more than she will (again, I am very heavily muscled and big boned and she is teeny tiny. my wrists are literally twice as wide as hers). When I told her that I was wearing a size 10, she was incredibly proud - until I mentioned that my weight was "around 170ish" (i thought 180 would put her into shell shock, she is not aware of my highest weight, just a size).. my weight was unacceptable. I felt that the size I was wearing versus the number on the scale was a GREAT thing and it showed how fit and well muscled I am. My measurements are a little different now - my proportions are slightly different - but they're pretty darn close to what they were in high school which isn't so bad, to me, for 10 years later and almost 40lbs heavier.
Once I reach goal, I will be wearing a smaller size than my mother..but in her eyes i will never be "thinner" than she is because I will always weigh more.

BlueToBlue
02-08-2008, 07:33 PM
My mom was thin her whole life without even trying. When she was in her 30's, she was so thin my Dad (who is not a particularly large man) could put his hands around her waist and have his index fingers and thumbs touching. He once cracked her ribs just hugging her. In the pictures of her just days after she gave birth to my younger sister, she is stick thin. She married my Dad in her early 30's, yet by the time we were in junior high, my sister and I already were too big for her wedding dress (and we were both considered thin).

She never exercised. I never once saw her break into even a slow jog. She also didn't eat that great--not horrible but not great. When she was in her 20's and 30's, she worked as a ticket agent for the airlines and as far as I can tell, she traveled, ate out a lot (she once flew to Alaska just to have dinner), and drank a lot (she was a party girl). In her middle age she did gain some weight, all of it in her stomach, but she was still within her healthy BMI range. She did quit drinking once she hit her 40's, but not because of her weight. And once she had kids, she stopped eating out--she made dinner for us every night. But dinner always included a starch (pasta, white rice, or white potatoes) and was rarely anything low fat or low calorie. She just had a great metabolism. My sister and I probably both inherited a little of it, because neither of us has ever been that overweight, but neither one of us has ever been as thin as she was without trying. I've definitely got my Dad's beer belly (but, annoyingly, without the beer :lol:).

jellydisney
02-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Both my mother and grandmother weighed about 100 lbs when they were my age (I'm 24), which they both love to tell me repeatedly. However, both of them gained a lot of weight in their 30's and 40's and are still heavy (probably around 180-200 lbs). Lately my mom has been trying to lose weight, albeit slowly and only after she learned she had diabetes.

So while I'm not as thin as they were in their 20's, I'm also taking my cue to not be like them in my 30's, 40's, and beyond.

Isn't it funny how sensitive of a topic this is? There must be some inherently competitive behavior going on between mothers and daughters.

Lyria
02-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Yep, mum has nearly always been skinnier than her daughters (all three of us!) - she's about 5'7 and even now weighs about 118 pounds...her highest weight was after she had my youngest sister and that was probably about 130 punds!

At my anorexic skinniest I weighed 110..and thats the only time I've been lighter than her.

She's just always been that way. She eats like a bird and spends her days outside in the garden (2.5 acres of it) pottering around and her job is quite active (she runs around after pre-schoolers all day long) and her and my dad go for evening walks together.

She eats healthy foods...mostly salads and lean meats as they grow all their own veggies etc these days but she will still have pizza and cakes, biscuits etc and all full cream or fat...no skimping! She just seems to have a natural instinct to know when to stop or enoughs enough.

Granted all three daughters have a larger bone structure than mum...she is very fine boned. My sisters both have her shape though (they're all steriotypical "apples") whereas I got the pear stick :P

Having said all this while the scale says she is 16 pounds lighter than I am - we ARE the same size. I am becoming less the advocate of scale weight these days lol

vixjean
02-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Mom is about 10 - 15 lbs heavier than my current weight, but i am a pear, and she is an upside down pear, LOL! So she looks great in the jeans that can't fit me! It sucks, but how else would she have a hip pair of jeans!?!? LOL! =)~

redlight
02-12-2008, 08:11 PM
My mom hasn't been skinny in YEARS!!! But now...I am starting to get as skinny as my teenage daughter. I'm not sure how she feels about it. We went to the doctor the other week and they weighed her. I said, "just another 9 pounds and i'll weigh what you weigh". Also, i will tell her to keep a size smaller juniors pants from what i wear now close at hand so i can try them on. I actually wear a smaller size than one of her "skinny" friends from school. She actually wore a pair of my dress pants to school one day and came home and complained they were too tight around her midsection and bothered her all day. lol. But...her body is in better shape than mine and that's what i'm really going to have to work on.

You have a teenage daughter? Lumifan, I thought you were younger.

redlight
02-12-2008, 08:15 PM
My mom has always been thin, sometimes even too thin. The women on my father's side of the family tend to be tall and chubby.

JayEll
02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
redlight, where you been?? :wave: :cheer2:

Jay

savanahfloc
02-12-2008, 09:46 PM
yes it is so frustrating :(:dizzy:

redlight
02-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey Jay. I just got really busy and didn't check in.

BattleAx
02-13-2008, 12:52 AM
My mother has always been skinny but with a large-ish frame. She doesn't care to eat much. Sigh. Her food choices leave a lot to be desired, and I worry about her nutrition.

Now she's 80 and has dropped too much weight, and it's a concern.

I take after my father, who fought with his weight his whole life. He loved to eat.

Lovely
02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
First of all, I look absolutely nothing like my mother. I'm 5'9" and she's about 5'2". (She's also shrunk a bit with her old age... >_> so she's possibly shorter!) So, I'm naturally going to be larger than my mother, and probably weigh more than her in a healthy way.

We have, however, both struggled with weight our entire lives. She's lost a lot in the past couple years, and only has about 20 more lbs to lose to get down to a healthier range. I believe she was usually around a size 20, but is now down to about a size 16. Whereas, my highest was a size 24 and am only now a size 22.

On a side note: She's ALWAYS been supportive of my weight loss efforts. And I don't feel competitive with her in any way :) She's my mum & love her to bits. (Yay for moms ^^)

Wires and Waves
02-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Yep.

My mum was always thin growing up, spent about ten years in the overweight camp before slimming down over the last year by eating regular meals, walking every night and hitting the popsicles when she has a sugar craving. she went from a UK16/18 to a UK10/12 (so she's around a US 8/6.)

Being heavier than your ma is not cool, especially when she has to factor in the size of her chest and you're barely pushing a B cup. :p I've never been thin.

booskibabe
02-20-2008, 12:17 PM
My mom and I have very different builds - My shoulders have been broader than hers since I was a teenager. For most of her life she was about 110 and 5'2". This, despite having 7 kids! A week after delivering one of my sisters she was wearing a fitted size 3 dress. This drove me nuts in high school.
About 5 years ago she had a hysterectomy and gained weight from that. Since then I have been thinner, although I'm still the largest of my sisters. (One is a 2/4, one is an 8, and one was a 6/8 before she got pregnant. I've been a 10/12 for years.)
Very interesting topic.

Lola125
02-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I love this topic.
Mothers be good to your daughters!

I was raised by a size 4-6 mother who hated that she had 4 husky daughters.
None of us were ever obese -- size 10's / size 12's. We were made to feel that we were somehow less since we were bigger than her ideal.

The result is all of us still struggle with Body Image and self esteem. Two have full blown eating disorders.

I am breaking this cycle with my daughter -- who luckily is a very normal size/weight. We never talk about being over weight in our house -- we talk about being healthy.

It's hard though when you were raised by a stay at home Mom who only worried about staying a size 6!

Jasmine31
02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
This is a great thread! My whole life my mom struggled with her weight. She was 5'2 and like 95 lbs in high school though. After my brother and I were born if we didn't finish our food she would. I don't know exactly how heavy she got but I would venture to guess 250. She got big at different times. When I was a teen I remember her bing very big. I was 220 when I was 15 then lost down to 160 for a few years. By the time I was in my early 20's I was 220-240 and my mom was losing. lol That was embarrassing for me. She had always been big all my life and she was still overweight but not huge like she used to be. I was the huge one.

She got down to about a 14/16. Part of it was her health though. I remember one time in the hospital she was sick and almost died, she told me she was 139. I didn't believe it. I couldn't fathom it. WOW!

Anyhow she also had cirrhosis of the liver so even though she was getting skinnier her tummy was still huge toward the last few years.

My eldest dd is 15 and is 310 lbs. She is like 5'6. I am not happy about this and I have done everything to encourage good nutrition, dragged her on walks, everything. She has flat out told me and the doctor she doesn't care. :(

All I can think is how embarrassing it was for me in my 20's and my mom was skinnier, now my dd is 15 and we are nearly 100 pounds diffeernt. That would be terrible.

If my mom were alive now I know I would look thinner than her. I even have some of her old clothes and now they are too big for me. I am 5'4 she was 5'2. She passed on at 5'2 from the hepatitis. I miss her

Glory it was so nice seeing your moms pictures! I need to scan some of my mom.

lumifan4ever
02-20-2008, 01:31 PM
You have a teenage daughter? Lumifan, I thought you were younger.

awwww....redlight...thank you for the compliment. :hug: No...actually i have 3 daughters. i have one who is almost 17 and one is 8 and one is about to turn 6 this saturday. I had my first one a year after high school. I feel like i am younger than i am. I feel like i'm in my 20's but i'm really in my 30's. But thank you so much for the compliment and don't be a stranger!!!! :D

Altari
02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Uh...technically, yes. My mom is about 7 inches shorter than me, though, so it's not a fair comparison.

She was always quite thin until my grandfather passed away 21 years ago. She fell into a fit of depression and gained all her weight, then it crept up quite high. I remember her, when I was about 8 to 9 years old, just looking so puffy. She's dropped a lot of it between then and now, but her side of the family is made up of plump Irish women. :P

I inherited my father's genes (like so many others said). Tall, broad, naturally muscular - good German stock. Great for birthin' babies, not so good for keeping a socially appealing weight. Most women on his side of the family (by blood) are plumper, but even when we're not our doctors nag us to drop the pounds because our BMIs are too high (I'm shooting for 160 pounds but I recall being comfortable anywhere up to 180).

ElayneRae
02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I am SOOOO glad I am not the only person who feels that way. My mom has always been (and still is) beautiful. Men in their twenties would hit on her and ignore me, even when I was a teenager.
It's bothered me my whole life, but I thought I was being ridiculous.
:dizzy:

dgramie
02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
My mohter is thinner than I am. Mom always cooked healthy meals. Lots of time as a teenager I just chose to eat out. Mom is very active and works in her flower and gardens. i get my genes from my father.I am the heaviest of us girls. My sister is a health nut and another sister is on weight watchers. I guess I should have kept it off when i have lost it before.My oldest daughter is a rail. My youngest tends to gain and loose about 10lbs and at 5'3" it shows. I cant wait to be as thin as my sisters. I am also the tallest of us girls.

Nightingale68
02-20-2008, 04:45 PM
yeah, she has always been about size 10 and petite, me, Im a lot taller and bigger, have been all my life and just now I've stopped worrying and punishing myself about it
life is great
i can do this

doubtingJulia
02-20-2008, 04:58 PM
My mom has nicer legs than me but I have a better tummy, so I guess we're even.