Weight Loss Support - What do you pay for your gym?

View Full Version : What do you pay for your gym?

JasonsLea
02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
How much do you pay a month for your gym?

peachcake
02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I pay $34 and I'm on a one year contract. It's like $45 if you do a month to month without the contract.

jellydisney
02-05-2008, 06:20 PM
I pay $45 a month for Gold's Gym. I used to go to Boston Sports Clubs for $75 a month (and that price was WITH a student discount). BSC had nice perks--had swimming pools, tennis courts, towel service, spa-like locker rooms, and flat-screen tvs on all of the cardio machines. But since switching to Gold's, my workouts haven't been any less enjoyable or less effective, so the savings is worth giving up the perks.

LadyNascar
02-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Mine is $29/month - 2 year contract - Gym is open 24/7

Look for discounts such as thru your employer or insurance carrier.

CapriPants
02-05-2008, 06:22 PM
i pay 20.00 for the whole house hold... pretty cool..

peachcake
02-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah, my gym lacks swimming pools and hot tubs and all that jazz. But I live in a small town, it's better than having to drive 15 miles to the gym.

jtammy
02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
$45 per month for the whole family. It's a community gym with NO frills. It's an "annual" contract, but the owner is very lenient if you need to drop out.

dixied
02-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Absolutely nothing. DH's health insurance pays for each of us a gym membership at participating gyms. I encourage everyone to check with their insurance benefits department to make sure you aren't overlooking this perk. It amazes me that even though it's FREE some people still won't use it.

If we did pay, it would be $45 (each) per month, with no contract.

nelie
02-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I have a nationwide membership to Ballys. I pay $100/year. I don't go anymore though because well the Ballys closest to me sucks and I rather work out at home.

Ilene
02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
26$ / month for each person... a contract you need to give 2 months notice if you leave... I live in a smallish town too... there are only 2 gyms one's too far(ish) :lol: just out of the way for me... and this one, the owner's a schmuck, I chose the schmuck :lol: ...

murphmitch
02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Family membership is about $50/month. We have a great community center with the works: pool, hot tub, raquetball courts, huge cardio & weight rooms, great classes and programs.

kisskiss
02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I pay $10 month to month at 24 hourfitness. I can go to any 24 hour, too. A family member added me to their membership--she pays $30 a month for herself and she gets a deal bc she's a teacher. I still get the same benefits as her though,so I guess I got lucky! : )

alliegater
02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Ugh, our nearby YMCA wants over $50 a month for one adult. I'd love to join but there's no way I can afford it right now :(

PhotoChick
02-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Individual membership - $35 per month. I could add my husband for $27 if he were interested. :)

horsey
02-05-2008, 09:27 PM
My "gym" is at home right now, I bought three sets up dumbells, a weight bench, an exercise bike, bands, stepper, a mini stair step, over 30 exercise dvds, a stroller (my boy's that I count as exercise equipment) and I'm about to add a bouncer/mini tramp to my gym. I moved too far from the YMCA that had child care so now I just work out at home. Local gyms here seem to charge $40-50 per month, seems high compared to what others are saying.

JasonsLea
02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Absolutely nothing. DH's health insurance pays for each of us a gym membership at participating gyms. I encourage everyone to check with their insurance benefits department to make sure you aren't overlooking this perk. It amazes me that even though it's FREE some people still won't use it.

If we did pay, it would be $45 (each) per month, with no contract.

Ahhhh, I remember when I was young enough to be included under my stepfather's insurance which included free membership. Turning 21 has screwed everything!

ChunkyDunker
02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
$96/month 1 year contract - couples plan for both of us.

BillBlueEyes
02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
$576 for 3 years at Bally's, paid in advance. Works out to $16/month.

Heated indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, roof top rubber track, numerous free classes, spinning, pilates, zillion cardio, standard weights and resistance machines.

[ Unlike Boston Sports Club @ $75/month, we bring our own towels. ]

CountingDown
02-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Oh, the pain of living in a small town. The "health club" is $90 per month. Two small "gyms" with few pieces of equipment are around $40 per month. Thus, like horsey - my gym is at home. I indulge in new DVDs every month (2-3), I have a body solid weight machine, a Gazelle, resistance bands, yoga props, "stretchies", and dumbbells. Oh, and a bicycle, and XC skis, and feet for walking ;)

cbmare
02-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm getting gym envy.

I intend to use the gym facilities when we are on our cruise. If I like what happens, I will seriously consider one. I wish Aetna, boobalah's insurance, would provide one. They do have a limited number of gyms in this area and really no savings to mention.

lilybelle
02-06-2008, 01:13 AM
We have a family of 4 and our family gym membership is $84.00 monthly.

vertigoskyy
02-06-2008, 02:14 AM
I go to a small gym now, have been for about 3 months, and I just signed a year contract making it $32 a month. It's a Fitzone, which I hear is kind of like Curves. Lots of cardio equipment, a weight circuit, lots of free weights, balls, bands, steps, ect, & tons of classes you can take. Tanning for an additional small fee.

I used to have a YMCA membership $63 for just me, or $90 for my family. It had tonnnnns of equipment, classes, also a pool and a bunch of fancy jazz, but I never really used any of it, so it was a waste of money.

I'm completely happy with my $32/month small gym...I use everything in it, so it's worth it!

jellydisney
02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
$576 for 3 years at Bally's, paid in advance. Works out to $16/month.

Heated indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna, roof top rubber track, numerous free classes, spinning, pilates, zillion cardio, standard weights and resistance machines.

[ Unlike Boston Sports Club @ $75/month, we bring our own towels. ]

That's a good deal. I'm in Metrowest, so no Bally's is near me :(

Pita09
02-06-2008, 08:20 AM
I pay $45 a month to go to a very nice gym located in a wellness center. All the cardio machines have their own TV's and there are 22 different weight machines, plus lots of other things I haven't learned about yet. :)

sharonrr1
02-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm getting gym envy.

I intend to use the gym facilities when we are on our cruise. If I like what happens, I will seriously consider one. I wish Aetna, boobalah's insurance, would provide one. They do have a limited number of gyms in this area and really no savings to mention.
Just to let you know going on a cruise and going to work out can be very challenging. My son and I both worked out on our cruise in Jan. Both of us felt dizzy after doing cardio. Weights were alright but not the cardio. We belong to the YMCA in a small town but have great equipment pool, courts and two locations within 15 miles of each for about $50 for the whole family. Individual is about $35. It also includes any classes that I wish to take.

ThePrettyOne
02-06-2008, 10:04 AM
My old gym, Lucille Roberts, was $300 when I paid for 2 years in advance. My new gym, Snap Fitness, is $49/month, no contracts, and unlimited tanning :)

lumifan4ever
02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
I go the family Y here in town. If I just wanted to go to a branch one (which was alittle out of the way) it was only $29 a month. But I prefered going to the Metro one and it was $40 a month. But their rates just went up to $45. My boyfriend started out paying for my membership November 2006 and this month will be my first month of having to pay for it myself. But I love this gym...and I want to keep going, so....guess i'll be finding a way to fork out $45 a month...at least until summer when I can take up jogging after work when the sun is up longer. I enjoyed going jogging right before the time change and wouldn't mind taking it up again. But our family y has all kinds of great things to offer. Classes, tons of cardio machines, lots of weight machines and free weights, they do have an outdoor pool and an indoor pool (which maybe i might end up using this summer, who knows)....and i can go to any Family Y that I want to no matter what state i am in. So..that's pretty cool.

souvenirdarling
02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
My local YMCA is 60 a month, which is very expensive, but the appeal is the unlimitted classes and swimming pool. My friend goes to a women's gym that's $360 for 14 months, but it's too out of the way for me to visit after work. I think I'm going to stick with the Y.

athenac
02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I pay $24 a month at L.A. Fitness, and the contract is month to month. It's a good gym, but since it's the biggest gym on my side of town, it's packed a lot of the time.

BlueToBlue
02-06-2008, 11:36 PM
I pay $25 a month for Bally's. But next August, when my three-year commitment runs out, my rate is going to drop to $7 a month (it was a deal I got when I signed up for a package of personal training sessions). Even at $25 bucks a month, I figure it is a great deal. I'm in there six or seven days a week, sometimes twice a day (if I do a yogo or stretching class in addition to my regular workout). So that's around $1 a day. I use all of the cardio equipment (except the recumbent bikes), the weight machines, the free weights, the dry sauna, and I go to the classes. When my sister and her family was staying with me, I even used the showers (4 adults and 2 kids = 1 very overworked 10-year old water heater :mad:). I try to use my gym as much as I can; I think of it as a contest to get the most for my $1 per day. But I do have to bring my own towels.

I also have a personal trainer. I try not to think about what I pay for that...it's a lot more than my gym membership, that's for sure! :lol:

sapphireheather
02-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I pay $85 a month, but that also includes weekly personal training sessions along with my unlimited access to the facility.

Jonsgurl0531
02-25-2008, 09:49 PM
I pay 40.00 a month for me and my toddler

JayEll
02-25-2008, 09:51 PM
I pay $27 a month for myself, on a 1-year contract.

Jay

nelie
02-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Even though I have an ultra cheap gym membership, I am considering joining a different gym that costs $66/month. The reason? It is about a mile from my house and I pass it every day to and from work. I try to be a pretty frugal person so it is taking me a lot of thought on whether or not to join.

Oh and the other alternative is a different gym near my house that costs $80/month.

I should also mention these are discounted membership fees. When I went to gym #1 to see what it would cost monthly without my 'special' discount, the fee was either $74 or $82/month (depending on level of commitment)

LittleMoonRabbit
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
$29.99- it's a small local place, but I like it a lot. good value.

Altari
02-25-2008, 11:10 PM
$35 @ SnapFitness. The only game in town. :P

Nori71
02-25-2008, 11:15 PM
31.00/mo at 24 Hour Fitness. They are moving in a couple months to a brand new facility that will include a pool, court and all brand new cardio and weight equipment. I double checked that my fees would remain the same after the move and they will. Sometimes they run "specials" - like prepay 2-3 years at a time for much less than the 372.00/year that I pay, and I'm thinking to "rejoin" during one of those specials if I can.

DH works at a hospital and they have their own fitness center (open to the public) and he pays a discounted $20/mo and that includes UNLIMITED personal training. They are very "current" with everything from BOSU to waterballs to kettlebells. I would go there for an additional $15/mo, but there is no child-care provided and I really like to work out while DH is at work during the day.

wisher
02-26-2008, 01:06 AM
I pay $53 a month at Gold's Gym. It's the biggest gym I've ever set foot in and super nice! It's kind of a stretch for me to pay for but I decided that I shouldn't be stingy regarding my health!

DaisyNicole
02-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I belong to an all women's gym, Victory Lady. I have a 2 year contract which is $15.95 per month. Plus my membership fee ($100) was wavied because of my health insurance plan. I love it because there are two locations in my city, one is right next to my work and the other is right next to my neighborhood!

GatorgalstuckinGA
02-26-2008, 08:50 AM
37$/month for bally's. When i lived in Savannah, DH work helped pay for the YMCA and all we paid was $10 for a family memebership...man do i miss that

Robin41
02-26-2008, 11:54 AM
$69 a month at a very snarfy "sports club". Much more than the 24 hour Fitness I was at, but it is 5 minutes from my house and that means I actually use it. The 20 minute drive to 24-hr gave me way too much time to come up with excuses not to go. New place has pools and saunas and personal tv's on all the cardio and is worth every cent.

Actually I figure I am saving so much money every month by not buying fast food and crap and going to the gym instead that I feel like I'm coming out way ahead financially as well as physically.

DaisyNicole
02-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Something to keep in mind, if you are on a limited budget or are a student the YMCA can take this into consideration. When i was in college (one without a fitness center) and still lived at home and worked part time, my YMCA dues were only $9 per month. (This was in about 2000/2001). They used a sliding scale to determine my membership.

junebug41
02-26-2008, 01:53 PM
$50/month for the Y. I pay $100 for my fiance and I.... I want us to look good on our wedding day ;) It's close to home and SO worth it.

mxgirl737
02-27-2008, 01:41 AM
I work at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.... The gym I go to is the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center (haha named after the guy that invented slim fast!!!---sorta funny, huh?)... Anyway, there are 2 gyms. It starts off at 25/mo---then if you use it 15 times in 3 months it goes down to 15/mo ---pretty sweet deal! I can't believe some people don't use it! It's 3 levels, includes 2 giant salt water swim pools, cycle studio, free trainers, free wellness coaches, free body analysis's, spa-like locker rooms, electric lockers, and flat screen tvs on all the machines. I mean, it's a fantastic deal!!! and definitely has helped me with losing my weight!

I used to go to anytime fitness ...35/mo student cost. I HATED it there. I really never went.

HarpoChicoGroucho
02-27-2008, 01:54 AM
I pay $0 -- I purposefully sought out a complex with a full fitness center when I was apartment hunting. I'm sure the cost is figured somewhere in there -- my gym is state of the art and has everything I need. We also have a private walking trail. Now I just have to actually USE them.