South Beach Diet - Terrific Tuesday Beach Chat

View Full Version : Terrific Tuesday Beach Chat

cottagebythesea
02-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Happy Faschnot Day! My mother traditionally makes dozens of doughnuts today and her place is like an open house with friends and family stopping in all day. I usually stay far, far away and will do the same today. My constitution has been wobbly as of late, and I sure don't need to be tempted by those fresh, warm, sugary cinnamony things! :(

How's the packing going, Kara? Tomorrow's the day, are you excited? It'd be nice if we could get together while you're home, but I know you'll be pretty busy visiting with your family and getting ready for Germany. I pray that God will be watching over you and the children during your long journey home.

Kim_Star060404
02-05-2008, 07:53 AM
WHAT?!!? :eek: I cannot believe that I'm poster #2 today!

Cottage: Great job staying away from your Mom's today. I couldn't be there without sampling some homemade doughnuts! I'll have to google Faschnot Day when I get out of class to see what it is - I've never heard of it. Anyhow - hope you have a great day!

Me: I actually made it up early enough to walk and come here and post! :carrot: That's a huge first for me. I'm hoping that it's a good indication that I'm becoming more committed to exercising most days of the week.

All I've got going today is class, work, class. I should be back home around 8pm tonight. Mondays and Tuesdays are definitely the hardest, but it will be worth it in the long run. I've just got to make sure and keep up with my homework and what-not. If I can get through the month of Feb. with all our company and going out of town, I think the rest of the semester will just cruise on by. :)

Well, off to post my exercise and then shower. Hope everyone to come has a great Tuesday!

tkglenn
02-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Good morning. Hello cottage. So far it's just us. I'm up early again this morning. DH decided he's gonna start going to work earlier so that he can get off earlier. My oldest has cubscouts tonight. Boy does he love going to it and I don't bother him with it either-----it's HIS time to do something on his own without younger brother following him. Well, off to take the kids to school but gotta give my 5 year old his ADHD medicine first. Good morning to the rest of you and hope all has a good day.

tkglenn
02-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Kim-I guess we were posting at the same time. Good morning.

femmecreole
02-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Ok, Cottage, splain...what is Faschnot Day??? It's Happy Mardi Gras Day here!

Sorry I didn't buzz in yesterday, but it was nuts here. News came out yesterday about an ingredient called "phthalaltes" that is found in many baby products. My biggest client produces organic baby products and we spent the whole day (till after 11 last night) fielding emails, press releases, updating her site etc to let all of her customers know that that ingredient is not found in the products. It was wild. I was on 'standby" all day long yesterday and today it looks like the same thing.

One really cool thing happened yesterday evening though. A client called to say she was sending her husband over with a cd for me to post on their son's site. I've known the family for years. Anyway, when he showed up at the door, I opened it and he said "Girl, HOW MUCH WEIGHT HAVE YOU LOST??What diet are you on???" (I haven't seen him in a long time.) I told him SB and he said "I gotta tell my wife about this one!!!" I had made chocolate chip cookies for the family right before he got there and was thinking about taking a bite of one. His comments made the cookies look nasty. gotta love it.

The weather here is so strange right now. It was in the 20's the other day. Yesterday it got up to 78 and felt like spring. I was in shorts and flip flops. It is supposed to storm today later on...not good for Mardi Gras revelers.

ah, lots of posting at the same time...Morning everyone!!!

amasam
02-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Hello -

I have not been in chat for a while, but do check in with the board most days. Today is day three of P1 - last night my body decided it was unhappy (TMI) :eek: so I did lighter excercise this morning, but am still sticking to to it.

It is an extra long work week - both tonight and tomorrow I have to go back from 8:00 - 11:00 pm. The good part is if I amnot home I will be less tempted to snack at home.

I hear it raining and it is supposed to be in the 50's today - unheard of in Erie in February. I am sure it will snow by the weekend, but yesterday it reminded me of srping....ahhh.

Have a wonderful day!
Ally

Schmoodle
02-05-2008, 08:25 AM
cottage, Faschnots are a big thing around here too. I never heard of them before I moved here. I think it's a PA/German thing, and the church across the street from me is Brethren, so every year they bring us some of those evil things. They brought some on Sunday, but luckily just two for the kids.
Poor Kim, the spring will be here before you know it!:hug: Just think of all you are accomplishing!
Cat, your friend's visit was providential! They were the fleur-de-lis flip flops I assume...
Ally, hope your long week passes quickly!
Have a great day tk!

I've got to get the kids off, but I'll be back to finish.

tammie00
02-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Morning Ladies

Cottage-Good luck on avoiding the doughnuts!

TK- Morning..Have fun at Cub Scouts

femme Woohoo on the comment!!!

ally Hope you feel better today.

Today I am doing some work calls and cleaning house. Take care
Tammie

tomandkara
02-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey all! I'm in the middle of packing those last few things that I always forget (almost left out the AWANA books and all of our shoes - AH!) but I wanted to check in and say hey. Thanks for the prayers, Linda! We sure could use as many as you all have to offer! The kids are really excited and I'm sure they'll be super good, but it *is* quite a long trip and we are saying good bye to Daddy for about six weeks, so I'm sure there will be rough patches.

Better get back to it before I leave something else important out! I'll get back on the boards as soon as I can. I just heard that Tom's dad (finally) got a cable modem, so he's out of the dial-up stone ages!!! Whew!

"See" you all soon!

Kara

cottagebythesea
02-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Cat, what a wonderful NSV and compliment! :) Faschnots are deep-fried donuts, as you've probably figured out by now. I've always been told that today is the day people pig-out on all the foods they usually give up during Lent. ;) Funny, I used to look forward to this day to gorge all day long, and now I think it's disgusting. This way of eating really changes our attitude on how we treat our bodies, doesn't it? :)

Kim, congratulations on getting your exercise in early today! Hang in there, your schedule will ease up soon!

tkglenn, how are you doing on Phase 1? Enjoy your day!

amasam, I hope you are feeling better today. Enjoy this mild weather, we're supposed to get up to the 60s today, and maybe even warmer tomorrow! Crazy, isn't it? :dizzy:

tammie, good morning! Want another house to clean? ;)

Kara, there you are! I was wondering if you'd check in today. :) God speed. :hug:

Schmoodle, looks like we'll both be trying to dodge the donuts today! Good luck!

Pacergal29
02-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Good Tuesday Morning to all! It's rainy and 56 here this morning, perfect weather for storms which are predicted later this afternoon.

Cottage WTG avoiding the goodies, I'm with you right now, couldn't be around them, my willpower is about nil now and I am working hard to get back on track!

Kim Good for you getting up early, you rock!

TK Hope you have a great day!

Cat don't you love those compliments!

Ally I'm with you, so ready for spring, I really want to get out walking again!

Schmoodle I think I may need you this month! Luckily all my refinance are FHA loans so we are streamlining them which makes it easier but 36 is still a bit scary!

Tammie good morning!

Kara Hope your day goes smooth! Don't forget the toothbrushes!

Me Funny story, one of the new girls here found out I lost weight and asked how, I passed on my SB book to her and she started Sunday. Oh she was crabby yesterday and now my boss is blaming me! LOL

On a sad note I got a call yesterday from one of my old bosses, he said one of the ladies I worked with lost her daughter (28) saturday and he thought I would want to know. They don't know a cause of death yet, apparently her son (6) found her in the bathtub and called his grandma and said "I think my mama is dead I slapped her and she won't wake up" My heart breaks for this family. Kind took the wind out of my sails yesterday.

But hey today is a new day! Have a great day chicks and I will talk to you all later!

THINBYJUNE
02-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Good Morning Everybody-
No time for personals... I am running incredibly late. Hope everyone has a great day and Kara have a safe trip home.

Schmoodle
02-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm back, kids delivered, house quiet for the moment.
Kara, have a smooth trip and check in when you are stateside!
Stephanie, sorry, we got our contract award yesterday afternoon, so I am employed for another year. You are on your own. good luck!
Happy cleaning Tammie!

All the awesome questions the newbies are asking made me wonder if I had forgotten some things from the SB book (or twisted things in my own mind so I would like them better), so I pulled the book out last night for a refresher. It has been a year since I last read it. I also stopped by the library in the next town and picked up some exercise DVDs to try. I'm going to attempt one at lunch. I've got a couple of the WATPs on reserve, but I have to wait until the bookmobile comes next week to get those. I don't think the bowflex is going to work out. Between my schedule and my friend's, it's going to be too hard to get in 3X/wk. I think I might be able to motivate myself better if I find something I can do right here when I've got a little time. I've got 9 days until I weigh in, and I'm really motivated to put in a stellar week.

bellaluna
02-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Stephanie, that's incredibly sad! I'm so sorry to hear that. :hug:

Kara, good luck with the final details--you're a strong woman!!! Six weeks, wow!

Cottage and Schmoodle, I am so glad that there isn't a faschnot celebration going on near me, eek!

And Cat, Mardi Gras Tuesday sounds like it will be supertempting too (but with that awesome compliment, bet you're feeling strong)!

Hi to Everybody :wave: hope your day is a good (doughnut free) one!

tammie00
02-05-2008, 09:27 AM
LOL Cottage my house is enough!! I just don't understand how it gets so messy. OH wait I have a husband and kids LOL If I could convince everyone to go around naked and not eat My house would stay clean HAHA!!!

Kara good luck!!

Congrats Smoodle on the contract!!

Morning to everyone else.
Tammie

only1naked
02-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Happy Mardi Gras everyone! I looked in the mirror this morning as I got out of the shower and realized that my body decided to dress for the Fat Tuesday occasion.

I want crawfish for supper! I wish I could find some around here.

GONNABE165
02-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Hiya chickies! I went to do my MRI apt and well I wasn't able to do it :( They put the mask thing on me and all I started thinking about was my dad & his radiation treatments and then I passed out so they had to bring me back out and when I came to I started throwing up so now it has to be rescheduled :mad: Other than that today is gonna be a great day!

Cat what a great NSV that was

Ally glad you checked in on us - you should do it more often

Kara good luck on finishing up. My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family for the trip :hug:

Stephanie sorry for your news :hug: and way to go on helping someone out with their new lifestyle

Schmoodle good luck on finding a workout that works for you

Only1 some crawfish would be delish tonight maybe cat can send us some from her hometown

Good morning to the rest of you gals I hope you have a great day!

bellaluna
02-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Aw, Gonna, that sounds like an awful experience! :hug: Hope you feel better soon...

GONNABE165
02-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks bella I just wish I didn't even have to do this :(

Pacergal29
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Oh good golly miss molly it is gonna be a long day, boss is in one of those bad moods where you can't even go near him! The new people don't know how to take it which makes it worse.

Gonna I feel for ya, sorry to hear you are going through such a rough time. :hug:

Kim_Star060404
02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Good morning all! Back from class and nothing to do at work, so here I am.

tkglenn: We sure were simulposting! I'd have caught you if I stuck around a little longer, but I HAD to hit the shower. It's awesome that your older son has a break from his little brother - I wish I'd had more of a break from my little sister some times! ;) I hope DH enjoys his new schedule.

Cat: That is an awesome story! I can't wait for those reactions myself. Hope you have a good day and find more ways to keep the cookie monster at bay!

Ally: Sorry that you had a cruddy Day 3 :hug: and sorry that you have to work so much! Hopefully it will all be over quickly.

Schmoodle: Thanks! I'm just trying to keep my eye on the prize. I'm glad the new book is coming out. I lent out my old SB book and it disappeared and the library doesn't have it. As soon as it comes in, I'll be reading it cover to cover. I love my exercise dvd's. In addition to WATP, I have the transFirmer series by the Firm, the weight watchers workout dvd (5 20-minute workouts) and the Windsor Pilates circle series dvd (has and AWESOME 50-minute cardio workout). My favs by far are the WATP though. Good luck finding some you like!

Tammie: Have a productive day! I like your idea of nakedness for a clean house, but we don't have kiddos yet, so that would probably lead to trouble! ;)

Kara: I remember the last time you were stateside that you didn't have a whole lot of internet access. Will it be the same this time? We sure will miss you if it is! Good luck getting everything together for tomorrow!

Cottage: Thanks :D

Stephanie: What a sad event. :hug: I will be thinking and praying about that poor family. WTG passing on the SB way of eating to your coworker (and how dare you make her grouchy!) ;)

Dawn: Sorry you were late! :hug: Have a great day!

bella: I love your name, btw. No donuts here - how about you? ;) Have a great day!

only1naked: Teehee, Fat Tuesday! Well, I guess I'm dressed for it, too, although I NEVER look in the mirror until fully dressed! :lol: Have a great day!

Gonna: Oh you poor thing! You really have had a rough time of it, haven't you? :grouphug: Hope next time you get that MRI done and out of the way!

Me: Things are going well. Class let out early because we have a test on Thursday, so it was just reviewing. It was snowing when I got out of class, so I'm hoping :crossed: that it will be enough to make the school close tonight. I don't want to go to Tech Ed. I had a talk with my professor at church Sunday and he said he really felt that this should be a web-class because our class meetings are pointless, but required by the school. I hope that the class ends up being that way - it would save me my Tuesdays. :)

Well, I just got a new cookbook, so I'm going to peruse it and see if there are any SB-friendly recipes in it. Hope everyone is still having a great day!

cottagebythesea
02-05-2008, 11:07 AM
GONNA, I sure wish you didn't have to go through all that, either. :( Can you go to a place that has an "open" MRI? Maybe that would help make it easier. :hug:

GONNABE165
02-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Thank you Stephanie & Kim I can feel your hugs. I hope you guys day gets better for you - hang in there

GONNABE165
02-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Cottage I originaly asked for an open mri but they say the lump is so small they have to do a closed one cause it's more in detail that way. I just wish I didn't have to do it at all - I just keep praying

pamatga
02-05-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't know if you all have left for your day. I will have to remember to log on earlier from now on.

I have never celebrated Mardi Gras so I don't know what that is like. I am not a drinker so I think it would have to be food if I were going to clean up the pantry which has not been my problem at all the past month.

My biggest challenge in following the Beach is having enough food to last. I have been going through some lean times financially and I had no idea that the challenge I would be facing with following my food plan would be having the right kinds of foods at all times. I have had to go off of my plan when I had no other choice and eat more carbs because I had ran out of meat, cheese, eggs, etc. And, I felt like I had failed. It has been really discouraging. Yes, if you eat more carbs you will crave sweets. If someone would have told me that I was "carb-sensitive" before I would have said I don't care whether I eat bread or not but I can't say that now. It does seem to be all or nothing with me. I am finding that out rather quickly.

I went on the official SBD website and I copied/pasted both the Phase One and Phase Two food plan. It says that you are allowed 1 TB of oil per meal per day. I got to wondering if I should also be counting my SBD approved margarine that I have on my toast as an additional TB of "oil". I think I should be doing that, don't you think?

Also, if we are eating the reduced fat string cheese as our protein snack, which I am continuing to do, where does that fit in with our daily dairy allotment? According to the official website we should only be having 1 1/2 c of red fat/non fat milk. If we have yogurt we should only be having 1/2 c at a time and that would also count as part of the "dairy" allotment!! Well, cheese is dairy but I really don't see where that fits in for the daily allotment. I think, as in my case, I could be overdoing the "dairy" since I am having the skim milk plus the cheese as a snack. What is everyone else doing regarding their daily dairy? And, what about some of these recipes that call for a lot of cheese? Are you having that instead of the milk? I love my skim milk and I have drank that for decades.

If you look closely at the food plan the only thing you can have unlimited amount is the lean proteins and the vegetables, if you so choose. The rest of it needs to be closely monitored. So, what I am saying is that if you don't watch what you are eating even if you are strictly following the plan, you could be in for a surprise on your weekly weigh-in.

I do hope the newest edition of the book will clarify some of these points because you can "overeat" on this food plan, contrary to how it is "promoted". I am beginning to think that I might be doing just that.

And, yes, I am hungry quite often on it. I am finding that I do need to eat the snacks and, NO, adding in more carbs is not the solution because then I gain weight doing that.

Sorry to hear about the MRI. I have had a couple and they freaked me out. I am claustrophobic and it doesn't help when you are heavier and you can barely fit in those tubes.

little chick
02-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Hey chicks, a quickie for me again today, it seems that is all I have time for. I have been working like crazy on my "Its a girl thing" ( which someone asked me before what it was, I don't think I answered, any way it is a mini trade show with business renting tables, and we are targeting women., so far I have 21 tables booked. But it is alot of work.)
Big Hugs to all you chicks and a big hello as well to all of the newbies, hopefully next week will be better. Talk to you soon.

bellaluna
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Pam: Aren't those charts great? I think they are the most important part of the plan...hope they are included in the new book. According to the food lists, cheese is classified as a protein, so you don't have to count it as part of your dairy. Also, while the protein and veggies are technically unlimited, they do suggest we eat 2-3 oz. of protein first, then go back for more if we want. With veggies, eat the minimums (4.5 cups per day), then more if we want. Hope this is helpful. I agree that it can be confusing...I've been researching and sorting out the SBD lists and things for a year now, even though I didn't actually switch officially to it until 1/1/08! :lol: Tried SB a few times before and just got too confused. But not this time. I've pitched my umbrella on the beach and I'm staying.

Gonna, can they give you something sedative-ish to help? I don't know much about MRIs. Wish you didn't have to go through it, either. :hug:

Kim, no donuts here, either! Tee hee. (And I love your avatar! Is that from your garden?)

Little Chick, good luck with your Girl Thing (it sounds so awesome...wish I could attend that).

Have a gentle rest of the day, all!

GONNABE165
02-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Pam the book can be a bit confusing thats why I say thank God for this site

LC thanks for checking in and good luck with your project

Bella I called the surgeon to let him know I couldn't do it and they said they may give me zaynax (sp?) I'll get a new day time on tomorrow so we will see - Thank you so much for your thoughts & concern

SAnativegirl
02-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I spent 40 minutes at mall walking! Yeah!
Then I went in McDonalds (drive thru too long) to
grab a couple side salads to go with my turkey
back at work desk. OMG-everyone around me was
ordering FRENCH FRIES- AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
You thought I had an affair with almonds-
french fries are my real love! I grabbed my
salads and ran as fast I could!

tammie00
02-05-2008, 02:18 PM
LOL about fries. I had to take dh some food today and I ordered him fries. They smelled so good but I didn't touch them. I popped a piece of gum in my mouth. LOL Thought about driving and holding my nose. I didn't really want them but they smelled so good. LOL

When I was in Germany at one hotel the mirror extended into the shower. So as I turned to rinse my hair I accidently opened my eyes. FRIGHTFUL FRIGHTFUL site. Needless to say the rest of the week I showered with the lights OFF!! HAHA

bellaluna
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Way to go, SA and tammie, fighting off the fries! Many gold stars for you! (Even just thinking about fries has me drooling! Yikies!)

Gonna, I'm so glad they may be able to help ease the stress a bit!

Neko
02-05-2008, 06:55 PM
ahhh. I can never keep up with the posts if I can't get on the morning.

Hi everyone. :wave:

Schmoodle
02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Don't worry Neko.
Just jump in and say hello.

KT39
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Happy Mardi Gras everyone! I looked in the mirror this morning as I got out of the shower and realized that my body decided to dress for the Fat Tuesday occasion.

I want crawfish for supper! I wish I could find some around here.

Only1naked---you have me laughing so hard that I think it counts as excersize! We must have worn the same outfit today....thanks for the laugh.....

Hope everyone had a good Tuesday.....I spent most of it driving with my SB friendly snacks....checked into my hotel and changed my clothes and hit the gym....it felt good.

Prayers sent for Gonna with the MRI and Kara with the move

GONNABE165
02-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I worked out tonight - I did a 23 minute jog on the treadmil and I feel great all my worrys and concerns left and I received nothing but energy. I feel myself when I workout.

I want to thank everyone for your concern as well as your thoughts & prayers for me for what I am going through You gals are awesome!!! :hug:

Good Night

CarCar
02-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Good evening everyone!

Just checking in for a quick hello. Got home late tonight and have some stuff to get done before trying to get to bed somewhat early (and ready to face the scale in the morning....ehhh)

I'll chat more tomorrow!