Carb Counters - Low Carb Chat: 2/4 thru 2/10!

View Full Version : Low Carb Chat: 2/4 thru 2/10!

CrabbyCakes
02-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Good morning ladies!

I thought I would get us started this week. How did everyone fare with Super Bowl foods or just weekend eating in general? I think I did pretty good. I had a small slip-up by way of a couple Dunkin Donut munchkins, BUT my scale has still shown a drop every day this week!

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Leenie
02-04-2008, 12:28 PM
:wave:

Have a great week everyone :hug:

Leenie

grapefruitisgrody
02-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm new and saying hi! :)

I'm on the "grapefruit diet" but it's very low carb so I think I fit here. :)

Puncezilla
02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Mornin' Crabby, Leenie and grapefruit, everyone.:wave:

Way to go to all you who survived the supperbowl partys. Luckily I Didn't have to wory about football party food. no football fans here.

I hope you all had a great weekend. My company didn't make it as her mother had to go into hospital for hernia surgery. So I spent the weekend hangin out with DH and he took two extra days off so we'll be working more on our house.

Lily, I hope you didn't crack your tail bone. I think you must be a very strong person (mentaly and physicaly).:hug:

aud
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
* . . . crawls into Thread with ice pack on head . . . aspirin bottle in hand . . . *

All my carbs came from frosty cans of Bud Light . . . SOBBED thru the commercial when the dalmation trained Rambo Hank the Clydesdale . . . *sniff* . . . *hiccuup*

Must go - the clackety clack of typing is hurting my head . . . .

WeightSmasher
02-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Good Monday Morning to all!! :( Why is it that the weekend goes by so fast!!

Well, :^: I did ok yesturday, not as good as I had planned to be. I ate BBQ meat, a little bit of chips and dip, and my Mother-in-law's delicious Velvet cake. I had no bread though, and only water!! Also, my portions were not what they should have been :nono: Last night I just felt so fat!!! But my husband told me "Hey you could have been worse and ate all the other bad stuff at the party." ;) That made me feel much better.

I got up this morning bright and early and went to the gym and I am back on track :carrot: Hopefully the scale will be good to me on Wednesday :crossed:

Well, ladies I hope you guys did better than me!! Have a good day!!

lynnar
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Hello,
I didn't do well at the Superbowl party. I got home around 6 and I was tired and hungry and there was all this dip in my house! You kind of have to have a few chips to eat dip, you know? I mostly just sampled a few, but still too many. I had some frozen chicken wings, so I put those in the oven and mostly ate those, but I had a couple of drinks (vodka and flavored water). Today I feel crummy and I totally deserve it. It didn't help that I forgot to set my alarm last night. I went to bed late anyway and DD15 came wandering into our room, a half hour after my normal wake up time. Good thing she remembered her alarm!
I went to exercise class, but took it easy. Couldn't seem to summon up the energy! I really need a good night's sleep tonight!!
I'm back on induction today. I'm pretty sure I'm out of ketosis, so maybe I can get back there! I just wish I had more time before my WI day (Wed.). I get discouraged with a bad WI and then it's all even harder.
So onward and upward and all that. Hope we all have a good week with lots of good eating and good weight loss! Lynn

Amy On a Mission76
02-04-2008, 02:18 PM
LOL @ Aud!! I had a great weekend. Had shows all weekend and my Sunday one was huge... $1500 in sales! Yeah baby!

I am eating more often, as I think that is what had stalled me a bit. Went to a SB party last night after my show, and did pretty well. I did have 2 beers, and a small portion of a wheat sub, but those were the only things I ate that really had carbs. Hoping that Wednesday WI will show a drop!! Keeping fingers crossed!

Happy Monday everyone!!

beach bum
02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Good Morning :) Ladies

I sure the new week for the chat is be constructed on and will appear on the board shortly. In the mean while,I use this chat instead.

Leo was very happy last night when the Giants beat the Pats. I was watching the whole game with him and I couldn't believe that the Giants got the last touchdown,only 20 seconds left of the game. DD called and say to Leo"not talking to that WOMAN, hope shes is eating crow"

Is crow on the Atkins/low carb allowed protein list. Not worried as My kids are teasers,my DD is really a Denver Fan and my DS is really a Philadelphia Fan. The only true blue fan is my darling Leo,hes been a Giant Fan for over 50 years.

Didn't eat any munchies are snack while watching the game so I hoping that i will have a good W-I this Wednesday.

LYNN-You had a very productive day,and congrats for taking control of what your were eating. Didn't know that your 2 DD's were dancers. I must check out the 3fc and see all the amazing stuff we have here about low carbing other than this thread.Super Bowl Parties are hard to come by,but according to what you ate there I don't think you did too bad. Excess cheese and a rum & coke I don't think will effect your weight. If you did that over and over again maybe,but not for one day. I was lucky as I didn't buy and extras for munching while wanting the game. The only food that I have is for my worked in food journal.

BAMBI-I'm a Patriots Fan and I get hit by my family for being one.Read about commands. Don't take any notice as it just a game. I'm not really a football fan but I most say that yesterdays game was the most exciting SB game I've seen in ages. The way the giants played was excellent,picking on Brady and won't let him throw the ball that far. You did great serving Low Carb foods. I didn't have a party going on so ,I just ate what I had planned from my food journal.

BaM-Big Congrats on your 4 lb weight loss. I wouldn't get on the scale again just one W-I and thats it ,is what I do. Getting on the scale several times a day is only going to lead to disaster in your mind and physic.I'm hoping for a good loss this Wed.

SC-Oh thats one thing I have to keep active,that the only way to survive. Not the type of person to sits around and watches TV. So sorry to hear about you aunt. I'm praying that my DH doesn't have that cancer return to him.He going to call our doctor for further -x-rays to make sure its scar tissue that the cat scan showed.

LILY-I know how you feel,I went thought that with my son,as I posted to you. Keep busy and try to get your mind off of it will help.Sending prayers your way,to keep your son in the Lords safe hands.You didn't need that gym with all the work you did yesterday.You must be black & blue from that fall. Try to take it easy,give your body time to heal, as you don't want to over due the pain.

Have a great morning

Hugs:) BB

beach bum
02-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I moved my post from this morning to the new week chat.

CC-Thanks for starting us up this week. I did good over the weekend in general and I didn't snack while watching the Super Bowl. I think transferring my W-I day to Wed. are helping me stay in control over the weekend. Well we'll see this Wed.Congrats on losing a little every day.

LEENIE-thanks for putting the Exercising Thread in the Sticky.

GRAPEFRUIT-The low carb woe is more than just fruit.Its a diet of protein,fat carb fiber. But you welcome if you want to be with us.

PUNCE--Sorry about your mom, sending prayer her way.

AUD-Oh Gee!! Your poor head.I'll be very quite,not to give you any more pain.Yikes!! How could you drink that much. Hope you're feeling better soon.

WEIGHTSMASHER-Sending you :crossed: crossed fingers for your Wed W-I.I sure one day is not going to hurt you just get back OP today and you be on your way.

AMY-You'll do good at your W-I also. Your 2 beers won't hurt. I had a German Hot Punch right after the game was over called Gluevine Made from burgundy wine,water,lemon, cinnamon stick,cloves.Bring all ingredient to a boil in a pot except for the wine,take pot off stove and add wine. Delicious.

Have a nice afternoon,Going to take my Rev Rolls off the cooling sheet

Hugs :) BB

stayincalm
02-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Afternoon all! I was a crave factory all weekend but didn't give in. I very, very rarely ever have cravings. Go figure there is a first time for everything. I think it had something to do with this Diane Mott Davidson mystery I was reading about this caterer who solves crime. Of course it includes many food descriptions and recipes. Thank God I finished that book at midnight last night. I must have cruised Jimmy's Youtube posts a dozen times hoping for something new. I still watched a few of my favs to keep me going.

Today has been pretty much like most. A string cheese and decaf coffee with soy milk/dash of cream/dash of da vinci syrup for breakfast. Chicken leg and cup of salad with ranch for lunch. 80 ounces of water so far. Don't know what I want for dinner yet. Maybe some of those leftover pork ribs or some of last night's pot roast.

Aud: Ouch. Normally I would recommend something like a bean burrito for hangovers but...I feel your pain. Well, actually, I don't feel your pain but I have been there!

Crabby: You got to eat a couple of munchkins and still lose weight? No fair! I'm happy for you though.

BB: I have my loss mojo coming your way for Wed.

Amy: Doesn't seem like much of a slip up. Keeping fingers crossed for you. Hey, it might keep your body off balance a little and actually benefit you. Kind of like calorie/carb cycling.

Punce: I'm with you. No football fans here so no SB challenges to the plan.
I was mundo hungry yesterday though. Of course, not until the evening. Normally I never eat after dinner and I swear I just could not get enough chow. All after 8:00 p.m. of course! First it was string cheese. Then it was a slice of tomato with a slice of mozzerella and a spritz of balsamic dressing. Then it was a chicken leg. Then it was decaf tea. Finally, at 10:00 I gave in and had a 1/2 cup of soy milk mixed with some water, da vinci syrup, some cinn and a sprinkling of powdered low carb hot chocolate mix. That helped me fall asleep though.

Lynn: How did the dancing daughters do?

GFG: Welcome. I hope you enjoy the other ladies here as much as I do. They crack me up. Especially Lily. Get it Lily? "Crack"? That was gross but we all need a chuckle sometimes.

New Product Alert: O.K. I ordered some of the liquid splenda that seems to be harder to obtain than an unflawed 8 carat pink diamond. It should be here late this week (unless I've fallen prey to some bizarre pick on desperate fat people internet scam). I'm concerned about the amount of granulated splenda DH is dumping into his coffee, his pudding, his flavored water etc. The liquid stuff is stronger and obviously does not have an binders that carry carbs in it. Just H20. I will let y'all know how it works out.

xo
SC

broadabroad
02-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Good morning from Thailand!

Glad to hear that you all fared pretty well at the Superbowl parties - sounds like it was temptationarama, and nobody went bonkers. Cool beans!

I, however, screwed up somewhat last night. I'd eaten a light lunch and a light dinner, and when I was heading home at 9.30 I found, for the first time since starting Atkins, that I was really hungry. I figured that in that case I should eat - evidently I hadn't had enough, I thought. Plus, it had struck me that the next day (today) I'd be on the class trip and obliged to eat nothing/high carb school picnic, so I'd better stock up on high protein picnic food. So I looked up some menus on Food By Phone (it's a phone delivery service with a shedload of Bangkok's restaurants) and ordered chicken satay, pork sausages wrapped in bacon, and a chicken'n'bacon caesar salad - the latter to eat then and there, the other 2 things to take for packed lunch/snack to school.

Well, the salad arrived with a whopping great crouton on the top. I scraped off the anchovies, chucked the crouton in the bin, and settled down to eat the salad. It was yummy. BUT it turned out to contain maybe half or a quarter of a cup of mini croutons. And I toyed fleetingly with the idea of sorting through the salad and picking out the croutons, and then thought 'sod it' and ate the whole thing.

And THEN checked the carb count on Fitday.

Sweet weeping mother of God. Yesterday's carb count has now shot up to 27.

Damn.

I'm breakfasting on some of the sausages with my scrambled egg, and they're very nice - but I'm suspicious of their contents. Sausages often have bread or whatever along with the meat. Still, they make a tasty change from my normal breakfast, and insh'allah they're not too bad...but the croutons, that I regret.

Still, I'm trying to look on it as a learning curve - next time, type in a note to say 'no croutons, please!'. Also - don't touch croutons with a barge pole!

Well, off to school to take my little buggers off on their class trip. Have yourselves a lovely day, ladies!

stayincalm
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey Fay! 27 is not bad. It's only a bit over the recommended 20. I just used my fit day but I'm having a devil of a time trying to enter things when I'm only using a teaspoon of something or half a cup. Aaaaggghhhh.

Have fun with the wee beasties today.

ox SC

laura02169
02-05-2008, 06:02 AM
Ahh...I am glad we are on to a new week - I did go bonkers Fay! It started Thursday with a party at work - lunch was fine but I finished it with a little ice cream. Half a donut on Friday and then the typical chips and dip with beer on Sunday! On the upside, I didn't eat dinner after the Thursday work party or anything before the game on Sunday. The scale has not caught up to me yet.

I have a lot of high-carb foods left over from Sunday, so I plan to bring them into work today and unload them on my coworkers. :devil:

I forgot to set my alarm too lynnar - well, thought I set it but apparently didn't. I slept an hour later then I normally do. Fortunately, I made it in work in time for my morning meeting (really, the morning after SB....should have been rescheduled!)

Despite the abundance of carbs this weekend, it was nice to host a party. I've been here almost a year and this is the first time I have had people over. I was starting to feel like a recluse!

Happy Tuesday!

RobinW
02-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Good Morning

Well, Ive been sick the last couple days. Some sort of 24hr intestinal thing "yuck" On the plus side, my pants are much much looser around my lower belly :lol:

Food wise....Ive been eating toast and yesterday I had a bit of plain pasta. This is the stuff I always eat first after a stomach that revolts for 24hrs. So, it all stayed down without any issues.....so today should be a good clean eating day.

So much for my weekend off.....I spent 1/2 of it in the bathroom :dizzy: Next weekend will be much better tho!! :lol:

Have a great day ladies.

lynnar
02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Good morning, I feel much better today after a day OP yesterday. I think I was feeling some blood sugar issues yesterday, but this is only a theory. But there doesn't seem to be a real reason for me to be so incredibly hungry around dinner time last night and then so incredibly tired after dinner. I ate about 3/4 of a rotisserie chicken for dinner and a slice of cheese. then I took my flavored water and sat down to watch T.V., but I was asleep in the chair almost immediately. I finally went to bed at 9 after snoozing through an hour of T.V. I did have a stressful weekend, but not that stressful!! Today I'm back to normal (I hope!).

SIC, the dancing daughters did good! The one who competes — DD15 — is in the high school group now (they grow up so fast!) and they got three first places for their three dances! So much better than 2 years ago when hers was the only group that wasn't qualified for nationals (It's not too hard to qualify since the whole nationals thing is a money maker for the company that judges!). But that time was pretty awful for her and everyone who had the misfortune to be around her. Nothing like listening to your kid cry herself to sleep in a strange hotel with absolutely no way to console her.

Just heard through DH that the 22 yo DD (who was at the dance thing as a teacher) has been rear-ended in the college parking lot. I'm trying to NOT call her until I know she's through dealing with the police etc. Evidently this was a hit and run of some kind. DH thinks it may have totalled her little car which may not be such a bad thing if the insurance pays out.

Yesterday I got a call from DS20 demanding to know why he wasn't getting a tax refund from the feds. I had to break the bad news: Yes, he does owe taxes and No, there's no way out of paying them. DS20 got an unpleasant lesson in real life. Evidently at least one of his friends is expecting a hefty refund so DS assumed he was also "entitled" (kind of key word for this generation!) to a refund. But, evidently, DS didn't fill out his W-4 the same way as his friend, so he's getting more money in his pay check and less of a refund. Oops. Poor DS. I really do feel sorry for him. Not sorry enough to give him money or anything. He's working as a bank teller which is a decent job for a college student, but he barely makes enough money to pay his bills. Since he's living within a few miles of his perfectly good bedroom at our house, DH and I aren't inclinded to help him with rent. I understand why he wants to live in his own apartment, but he needs to learn...

So today I have a networking lunch. (Is it Robin who writes about network meetings?) I'm hoping for a salad. I know there will be salads on the menu, but you can never tell when croutons may sneak in, right Faye? This is a New Orleans style restaurant and it's Fat Tuesday! Does Cajun cooking have a lot of croutons? Then I have hamburgers planned for dinner (and the leftovers will be breakfast for the week). So I should be OP for the next few days with no problems.

Lily, let us know how you're feeling after the chair mishap.

Gotta go work! take care, Lynn

Amy On a Mission76
02-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Robin, hope you are feeling better!

Amy On a Mission76
02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Lynn... Congrats to your daughters!

lynnar
02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Back to report that Cajun food (at least at this restaurant) doesn't include croutons, but it does come with wedges of garlic cheese bread that was very very very hard to resist. The salad was kind of small for me — I kept thinking about that commercial where the couple is at the fancy restaurant with the small portions and the man says, "It's like elf food." But (pause for a drum roll) I resisted the bread. Hurrah! I think I can get through the afternoon until it's time for the hamburgers!! Sure hope so.
Thanks Amy! See you all later!

lilybelle
02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone, I've read everyone's post, but I can't keep up.

I decided to go ahead and paint the laundry room and a spare bathroom yesterday. After 9 1/2 hrs. , I threw a fit cause the rest of this lazy-*** household wouldn't help. So, now the whole family is pissed at me. But, the painting is done for now. I am so dang sore I can barely move.

I weighed this morning and not a single lb. gone. It may be due to the muscle soreness and water retention. I get so frustrated with eating on plan and getting lots of exercise and no wt. loss.

lynnar, my 18 yr. old SD is here for the week from the Coast Guard. She went and had her taxes done this morning and found out that she won't be getting the refund she was expecting. Turns out, her own mother screwed her over by claiming her on her taxes. She didn't live a single day with her mother last year. It amazes me that a mother could cheat her own kid. But then again, it's the same woman that has claimed Shelbey for last yr., while Shelby lived 7 months of the yr. in MY home. She did the exact same thing to her DD, Whitney when Whitney was in college and raising her other 2 sisters. She claimed them all even though she lived in a different state. She also claimed Samantha, my oldest SD when Samantha was in college and we had paid her tuition, room and board and everything! I'm looking at it like this, she's the one that will pay in the long run cause all her kids will end up hating her.

Amy On a Mission76
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Woo Hoo... way to go on not eating the bread!!

aud
02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Reporting in here from Hangover Central - much better today - pounding water & back OP - but running too late to say much except I gotta go VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Have a SUPER super Tuesday everyone in the voting states - & a ROCK ON to Everyone Else!:carrot:

ttyal in the Wee Hours!:)

beach bum
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi Ladies:)

Got up late again,so everything I planned to do is being pushed back. I still ahave wash in the machine that has to go into the dryer.Leo & I already went out to vote at the Premieres.

Nothing new to report,except Leo has a an appointment with his reg doctor,this afternoon at 2:30 and I think the two doctors will discuss what they saw on the cat scan along with Leo up coming x-ray. He came home,saying the doctor will sent him for an x-ray tomorrow morning,but I have to use the car to sing in the choir for Ash Wed Mass. So Leo going to go after I get back.

Tomorrow is also W-I day,I hope I lost some thing as I as eating OP and exercising every day to boot. Even over the weekend I was good food and activity wise.

SC-Thanks for the mojo, for my W-I tomorrow. Speaking about the youtube ,I saw an Gregg McBride video on that site, about how he lost 250 lbs weight by just eating less and exercising more. I really believe he right.He said there no magic bullet you have to work on it. He doesn't believe in any weight loss programs,Just eat Less. Does that make sense??? I don't know what causes cravings,but you can't ignore them.So go to Linda's site and get a sub for those craving.Using fit day for a food that is 1/2 c=.5 and 1/4=.2///3 tsp=1tb so divide into 3. to get 1 tsp.

BaB-Sorry your carb crept up on you. I find that eating Protein or high fiber veggies like beans fill me up.But being on L/c we must forget the latter and stick to the protein instead.

LAURA-If your having problems with ice cream or donuts don't have them in the house. Like to posted to SC Go to Linda site you find lots of low carb snacks to sever your craving.

ROBIN-Sorry your not feeling well. I love raisin bread toast with a bit of honey on top,when i have a tummy or sore throat ache.Sending some [[[[healing vibes]]] Your way.

LILY-Sorry about your W-I Please don't give up, you did beautifully these last couple of weeks. It does sound like water retention,hang in there. I don't blame you, the kids and DH should help around the house.

AUD-We voted right after breakfast,and than things got back up.see above.

Have a great evening ,going to start supper

broadabroad
02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Crumbs, Lily, what a jerk that woman sounds! But you're right - her kids will end up hating her, and whatever she saved on her taxes is going to be cold comfort when she's old and frail and her kids hate her guts.

I'm really quite hungry now, damn it - only ate a small breakfast, as was in a hurry. Grr. I think I'll nip out during the Thai class (which is my noncontact time) and see if I can find something appropriately proteiny...but this will involve ignoring stalls and stalls of delicious carbadelic yummies lining the street, damn it - fresh pineapple and papaya and watermelon on ice, fresh cakes, spring rolls being fried before your eyes and chopped up and served in a wee bag with a splash of sweet'n'sour sauce, fried bananas...gah. Still, somewhere out there must be something appropriate. (It kills me that sushi is off plan. Kills me dead. I heart sushi. I know I can still have sashimi, but I like the combination of the fish AND the rice, damn it! And what about Miso soup - is that allowed? I haven't been able to determine - so many of the foods that are normal around here aren't listed in the book, and on fitday I find that you folks call things by different names - like rocket is called arugula, or something, and chipolata sausages are (I think) 'small link sausages...)

Anyway, yes - damn it. Wish I'd had bacon and eggs for breakfast. Wonder if this hunger is a result of the sausages? If they contained carby padding along with the meat, it's a distinct possibility...Damn. And I thought I was so good yesterday!

stayincalm
02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi All: Breezing in. Just got home from work (it is 7:30 here). Kind of down. Have been totally on plan and got scale readings of 219.5 this morning and 221.5 tonight. Tomorrow would be the technical weigh in day but things don't look good. Today was so zoo-like at work that I only got about 60 ounces of water in. Didn't get breakfast (I left the house at 6:00 this morning) and had a chicken leg and 1/2 a cup of salad for lunch. Too discouraged to eat dinner (and don't want to eat a full meal this close to eight). I'm just gonna skip it. Ketostix have been turning purple everyday for a month though. I'm just gonna keep on keepin on. I'm glad I have been weighing everyday though. If I got on tomorrow after such a super concerted effort (I've even been using my fitday) for the last two weeks I'd really be upset tomorrow. Jimmy Moore said he got on and off the scale all the time because sometimes all of a sudden he would just drop. That did happen to me last time. He also said he hit one ten week stall and instead of trying to find ways to break it he just stuck to his plan. I wish I had more of a consistent weight loss to look at and then I would feel better about doing that. Even though it's the right thing to do.

Peace out for tonight.
SC

lilybelle
02-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Hi ladies, I had to take Lacy to the ER tonite, she was having severe back pain and urinating blood. She passed a kidney stone after they gave her some Morphine. She's in bed, totally zonked out now.

I hadn't planned on doing any work today, but this evening I cleaned my formal dining room. It is where my son, Shane, had stored all his furniture. Shelbey helped me and we moved all the furniture and put it in our storage building. That room was bugging me cause Shane had dug through all his boxes to get everything he needed before he left to the military and nothing was put back up orderly.

Fay, you're right. In the end, she'll end up with kids that hate and for what, A little extra money from the IRS. What a trade off!

sylvia78
02-06-2008, 01:01 AM
This is just a quick post, I haven't read everything yet.

StayinCalm - You should never weight yourself at any time other than first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, preferable in the nude. If you weigh yourself during the day, you have the weight of the food and some of the liquids you had during the day. That could lead to a false weigh in.

broadabroad
02-06-2008, 04:44 AM
SC, you're doing a freaking AWESOME JOB! And I totally understand the disheartenedness, because I totally get that too - but you mustn't let it get you down! It's easy to focus on the weekly targets, but try to keep thinking about the big picture: you know that the way you're going to reach goal is by persisting with your eating and fitness plan, and that it IS going to be worth it in the end. And that all of us are going to have plateaus where we don't lose for one reason or another - because biology sometimes does the whacky. But don't give up!

bambifox
02-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Hey All! Good morning to ya! I'm so stoked this morning! I cheated and weighed in today...down another 2lbs to 173! yeah...yeah....yeah....!!!!

stayincalm - I agree with Sylvia that weighing in everyday will drive you nuts! I used to do this, and my weight fluctuates between 2 and 5 lbs on any given day. Maybe try cutting it down to once per week. If your staying in Ketosis...then you're doing just fine...believe me...the scale will move! I've done Atkins twice before and I went sometimes weeks with no move..then..BAM!...DOWN 5-7 LBS!

B.A.B. - Congrats at controlling yourself and not indulging in those carbolishous treats! Try not thinking about what you CAN'T have and think about all the YUMMY delishous things you CAN have (Linda's Low Carb baby!)...her recipes are so fabulous...you will definately not feel like your missing anything!

Lily - You look fabulous (new word of the day!)!!! Perhaps you are so close to your goal weight that you are building and sculping now. If this is the case, it may help to pay attention to all the new found muscles you see in the mirror...perhaps your body will settle in at a few lbs heavier because of all the new lushous curves the muscles create!!! stay in there girl!

Well...gotta go folks...work calls me!!! Have a great day all!!! Joyce

broadabroad
02-06-2008, 08:23 AM
(a little later...)

Well, pants. I decided to go to La Boulange, a rather lovely wee French restaurant/bakery near my school, for dinner. Generally I order the Salad Nicoise, which is fabulous, but this time I went for the Chef's Salad. I turned away the yummy fresh-baked-on-the-premises-and-still-warm French bread and sipped my soda virtuously - and then my heart sank when the salad arrived with some kind of sodding DRESSING all over it. Hadn't even crossed my mind! I don't *think* it was too carby, from the taste, and I'd be surprised if it were out of a bottle or jar - it wasn't mayo, but it was something not-sweet along those lines. But, honestly, I could have kicked myself for not having seen that one coming. Oh well.

Afterwards I went to buy groceries, and bought chocolates for people at school (it's been a stressful week, and I thought that might be nice), and stumbled across A BOX OF SPANISH SUGAR-FREE CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES!!!!!!!!!!!

Let us take a moment to stare and marvel.

A sugar-free product!

Not JUST a sugar-free product, though - sugar-free POSH EUROPEAN CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!

I checked out the back of the box, and gathered that the sweetener was maltitol, which I understand is less than ideal - but, frankly, this may be the only box of sugar free chocolates in the whole freaking country, and I'd be damned if I was re-shelving it.

I have no immediate intentions to chow down on said chocolates, but, damn, it's nice to have them there for In Case Of Emergency. Looks like there's about 4.5 carbs per truffle.

Tomorrow is Chinese New Year! I'm going to be wearing a truly FABULOUS ensemble in navy and gold. (I may even post photos, in fact, afterwards, so fond am I of this outfit!)

stayincalm
02-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Morning All 6:30 a.m. here. Thanks for the words of wisdom! Even though I was discouraged and not hungry because of it I went ahead and had salad, ranch dressing and heated sliced pot roast after I logged off last night. Can't fall into the skipping meals trap. I felt better after I ate anyway. Kind of like "screw it" I'm gonna eat dinner after 8:00 p.m. tonight and it will be OP. I even threw a handful of sunflower seeds into the salad. What a wild thing!!!

Lily: I'm so sorry about Lacy. Has she ever had this kind of problem before? Are the going to ultrasound for more stones or do they think there was only one? Lordy. Passing those things is supposed to be hellish. If she has any more I think they can try to dissolve them with ultrasound. Poor baby. Good for you in keeping busy. It is the best thing. Pretty soon you will have the cleanest house in the Country though. I had the same kind of response one time to a really desperate life changing event. It put me into a depression as well though but part of the depressive state was that my body went into hyper overdrive. I FELT my metabolism change completely. Like being on speed. I slept only 4-5 hours a night. Got up in the morning and ran a few miles, went to the gym too, then went to work, went to two gyms after work for two different aerobics classes, then went home and did projects like painting rooms, arranging jewlery, cleaning linen closets. etc. Having the things to do helped get me through it. The plus side was that freakish metabolism thing made me drop a freakish amount of weight. Of course, at the time I did not need to lose weight (God closed a door and opened a window but I didn't need to crawl out of it). I think I have a photo from that time around here somewhere. I look like my head is HUGE

Fay: Sounds like you did great my friend! And you found the sugar free truffles to boot. I would grab that box and head for the hills. You can cut them up and eat them slowly or have them as a special treat occasionally.

Bambi: Yay!!! Go you.

Syliva: I know about the weighing. I hate it but I get more freaked out if I don't weigh often because then I dread the weekly weigh in (fearing the scale will not be moving). Maybe I will try to just do morning weighins.

Aud and BB: I rocked the vote in the am too. BB mojo shout out for Leo's xrays.

Have a wonderful day all!!!

SC

broadabroad
02-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Heh. This evening it struck me, as I felt a little peckish, that snacks were not illegal. And that, in fact, the little box of crispy fried anchovies I bought a while ago was perfectly acceptable, consisting as it does of nothing but baby anchovies, sunflower oil, and salt. I've been using them to sprinkle on salads, but I thought - what the heck, they're supposed to be snackfood. And very nice they are too. But what CRACKED ME UP was my cat's reaction - suddenly woken out of a dead sleep, and doing his absolute utmost to get into the box. Really pushy, way pushier than is normally the case - he's pretty good about not begging for food, usually. But evidently he had decided that this was kitty food. Eventually, snorting with laughter, I caved and let him have a handful. He was BLISSED OUT. So I sprinkled some on his cat biscuits as a sort of garnish. Happy kitty.)

lynnar
02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey Fay, nothing like a blissed out cat! I gave our little dog some of the drippings from my hamburgers last night and wouldn't let the big dog push her out of the way and get them. I totally play favorites with the dogs, because DH favors the big dog who tends to be a bully, anyway. It's kind of amazing that we don't have huge dog fights!
SIC, I'm with the WI weekly people, but everyone needs to decide what's best for them. I can see where a daily WI would have it's advantages, but I also beleive that any WI with clothes on and food in the belly is automatically invalidated!
My WI was today and I had another maintain. Since I strayed over the weekend, I was relieved to see it was not a gain! I don't think I'm back into Ketosis yet and I haven't been using the sticks. I guess it's time to try them today. gotta go, Lynn

CrabbyCakes
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey Ladies, I've been a bit of a slacker this week, not as far as my plan, but with catching up on here. I've had a heck of a weekend and week so far and not in the good way. It's been one of those I-just-want-to-crawl-under-a-rock-and-sleep kind of weeks. On the good side of things I am down 4 lbs this week! That puts me up to 11.6 since Jan 14th!

Also BIG GRATS to bambi on your loss!!!

I hope everyone is well. I'll hopefully post more when I pull myself out of this funk.

WeightSmasher
02-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Good hump day morning!!!

Looks like everyone is doing great. I had my weigh in today and I am down 3lbs. YES!!! I whish it had been a little more but anything is great for me. Plus I think TOM is on it's way so that may have a little to do with it. I have been working out every single day and it feels great. This morning my husband had to go into work at 6:30 so I set my alarm to 4:30 am and I got up and went to the gym at that time. I had to be back before he left because of our little one. It wasn't bad at all I got up with no problems. I hope to keep this up and have no excuses of why I can't go to the gym.

Well, ladies keep up the good work and hope every one has a wonderful low carb day!!!

lilybelle
02-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi and Congrat's to everyone on the great WI's.

I'm happy today cause the insurance adjustor just left and they are paying for a whole new roof for my house, plus the roof on the deck, the gazebo and the well house.

SC, this is Lacy's first kidney stone. They did an US and didn't see any more stones. She still wasn't feeling up to par today, so she is staying home from school. Hopefully by tomorrow she will feel better. Also, for me, staying busy right now just seems like the thing to do. I don't want idle time to just sit and dwell on things.

Tonite should be fun, I'm going to play Texas Hold Em Poker with my friends. Hopefully I will win or at least not lose a buttload of money.

Fay, LOL at the blissed out cat. I made bacon and scrambled eggs this morning for me and Lacy. My Labrador's got the leftovers and they are quite happy right now.

RobinW
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Afternoon :)

Congratulations everyone on your losses, that's just awesome!! :bravo: :dance:

I didnt get on the scale today, but I did put my jeans on.....the flu diet has done its work. My new jeans were very easy to do up, and a bit baggy in the butt. A good sign!! I still didnt get on the scale tho.

Well, I met with a personal trainer today.........Im still thinking on this. Then I'll think some more....what she likes about me, is that I already know what to do, and how to do it. She would be that extra push to keep me in line, someone to check in with, and have keep track and make adjustments before I hit that wall of "tired". So, we'll see.

Not eating low carb, because food still isnt sitting very well in my belly. On the plus side......I havent had any coffee since saturday :eek: Can you believe it?!?!?!?!? I am going to try to stay away from the stuff. Ive been trying to cut it out to help with my reflux, so I dont see any reason to start back up, since it was only another addiction. Keep your fingers crossed for me, that I can keep the coffee away. :crossed:

Well, thats it, I need to get back to work........have a great day ladies!

beach bum
02-06-2008, 03:13 PM
HI Ladies:)

The weather wasn't co-operating this morning for Leo & I to go out.The fog was so thick that we can't see 1/4 of a mile.Leo will go to the Hospital for the x-ray tomorrow instead..

Not going on the scale,until Fri,as the meals I planned had to much sodium in them.Have to flush out the sodium with lots of water. Why don't I just look at the ingredients in a recipe or the box so close to weight-ins.I learned from the BL last night that 3 glasses of L/F or F/F milk per day not only a good source of calcium but also protein. Have to remember that in the future.

BaB-I went to a sushi bar once and never again,I Hate the stuff,but to each it own.I agree with Bambi,the Linda's web site has lot of delicious and healthy foods to enjoy.

SC-Don't go on the scale twice a day,its not worth the stress:stress: W-I early in the morning just when you get up,and gone to the BR.You'll get the correct reading in the morning,than in the evening. I found that out a a WW meeting .Thanks for the MoJo for Leos x-ray.

LILY -So sorry to hear about your DD Lacy.At least she passed the stone,I was there when I was young and that a very painful for a kidney stones.Sending Prayers that she resting comfortably now. That great news that your getting a new roof,and not having to pay for it.Have fun with your friends playing Poker.

BAMBI-Big congrats on your 2 lb weight loss you're do terrific.I would have W-I this morning but I had a salty meal,and now I'm trying to flush this sodium out.

LYNN-I tried to average out my W-I for the week and it didn't work for me as i stress when I saw the scale going up & down on different days,Now I W-I once a week.Congrats on a maintain,its better than a gain.I was too chicken to get on the scale this A.M. At least you went on and force the maintain.Congrats, for that.

CC-Thats fantastic,big congrats on you're 4 lbs weight loss. WTG for 11.4 on your weight total loss.

WS-Congrats on your 3 lb weight loss.You gals are doing terrific. Hope I'll be lucky this Friday.

Have to go,

aud
02-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi Everyone . . . I'm having a Funkenstein Week too crabbycakes . . . Hoping that HumpDay changes the trend. Going on Mega OT again - starting tonight - Grrrrrrrrrr BUT can certainly use the extra $$$. DD10 Tess wrapped her retainer in a napkin & spent an hour b4 work yesterday dumpster diving at the school . . . THEN - DH brought all the cafeteria trash bags on home and went thru piece by disgusting piece with her - no luck so $210 bucks out the window for another one.

I've been completely UNconscious lately - OffPlan (again) and Offschedule with my water and exercise . . . today is a new day & all that - yada yada blah blah. Get really tired of my predictable self . . . gonna keep plodding along though . . . foccussing on how much better off I am health & energy wise than if I ever tried at all, ya know? Same old excuse - these hormonal shifts are just totally kicking my a$$!

Sending some )))))))Vibes((((((( to clear up Leo's CAT scan, beachie!:hug:

Hang in there Poor Lucy! (Send me the excess morphine please lily?)

I'm ready to get busy around this house after reading along to lily & scalm! Famous Saying handed down several maternal generations of the aud-Clan: "Clean out a drawer." Simple but yet profound when life is a mess - took years to appreciate this saying - LOL!

Good to cya sylvia & ia about the scale!

Congrats to your dancing dd's lynnar!

WTG on the losses w/i's and hope you're feeling better robin.

To everyone struggling - that's where I'm at too . . . we'll get thru this together!

Puncezilla
02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Hang in there Aud ! I hope your Mega OT doesn't last too long.
:carrot::cb::broc: Some dancers to get you going.

Wow, Crabbycakes, Wieghtsmasher, You're both doing fantastic!

Lily , that's great about the roof, you must have good insurance. Have a blast at your pocker game! I hope DD feels better soon.

Robbin, Lose pants are awesome! even if it is from the flu diet. Way to go ditching the coffee.

Fay , I have to say, I agree with the cat, dried anchovies doesn't sound like human food to me either. But then I've never tried them. Post a pic of your fancy outfit, I'd love to see it!

BB, Good luck to DH with his scan. I hope the fog clears so you have a safe day for driving.

SC, I WI every day too, but only first thing in the morning, It works for me. I don't think I could wait a whole week.

Lynn, congrats to your DDs for the dancing. Maintaining is a lot better than gaining, so hang in there.

I'm down another Lb this morning, one more to go till I catch up with my ticker. I'm going to go on the treadmill now, even though I have ecxema on my toes that hurts when I put my runners on, I got some cream from the Doc yesterday but haven't been to the pharmacy yet. No more excuses. TTYL

Amy On a Mission76
02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Hello all! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday!

I am only on for a quick bit, as am going to dinner with a good friend. But HAD to come share my great news!!!!

I did my WI today and I am down 2.5lbs!!!! Woo Hoo No more stalling. It was the eating that did it, I ate more often and it worked. Thank you for the support and advice.

Chat soon!

Natalie03
02-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I didn't do so well during my Superbowl party. Of course, I hadn't done so well all week either. *sigh* I'm restarting this induction again and trying to be strict about it! Salmon for dinner tonight!

Puncezilla
02-06-2008, 05:58 PM
http://getmesmileys.com/smilies/cool0012.gif Way to go Amy!http://getmesmileys.com/smilies/party0010.gif

bambifox
02-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I was just watching the news and it's horrible!!! Has anyone here been effected by the deadly tornados that just hit? I hope not....uhhhh...I guess that's a stupid question...you wouldn't have computers to type on then..huh?? But just in case your computers survived the horrific event...let us know how your doing...I would hate to hear about another "Katrina"! Well anyways...I'm tuning out...tired, long day...and don't think my brain is functioning that well tonight...I'm just rambling...rambling...good night all! Joyce

lilybelle
02-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Joyce, my DH called from his work near Conway , AR. Tornadoes ripped through the town that was 10 miles from his Oil Rig. Luckily him and his co-workers were all safe. They did have some vehicles flipped over though.

broadabroad
02-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Fantastic weightloss news, Bambi, CC, WS, Amy et al! Way to go!

Natalie, don't beat yourself up. Sometimes it's difficult to get started with things. Look at this as a chance to analyze what things tripped you up on this initial crack at induction, and figure out how you can plan for them when you do it for real. Try and start for real next week, if you're ready - or, you could take a week or so to be eating in a generally low-carb way while PLANNING for Induction - purging your house of OffPlan foods, thinking about good strategies you can use when people try to sabotage you, or when events conspire to mess with you. And then, when you're feeling really prepared, Go For It!

Aud - oh, man, I'm so sorry you're in the funk right now. Stupid plateau! Stupid world! (I'm just dreading the plateaus, because I know how easily downcast I am myself, and I also know the damn things are inevitable...gah.) But keep on keeping on! ...gosh, I sound like Dory in Finding Nemo, don't I? "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Speaking of fish - heh, I know what you mean, Puncezilla. It took me a while to get used to some of the Thai snackfoods. But actually, they're a damn sight better than the Western ones in terms of protein - whereas our crunchy snacks are pretty much all carbs, here people have crunchy pork, crunchy seaweed, crunchy broad beans (and these are YUMMY, btw), crunchy cuttlefish and crunchy fish, all available plain or in interesting flavours. Of course, you have to watch out for sugar. Anyway, I like anchovies, so I thought I'd give the wee anchovy snacks a try - and they're yummy, and very healthy!

...what's all this business about tornadoes, then?

(scurries off to check google)

bambifox
02-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Lilly - I'm a little "out of date" with the abbreviations thing. What's DH? Is that dear husband?? If so, I'm glad he's okay. From what I hear, they are still finding people and many are missing. We were getting some wacky weather her in VA yesterday...it was a little scary.

BAB - Great advice to Aud. I agree totally. Just curious though...what made you move to Thailand. It must have been a culture shock. Most people don't have the kahooonas to make such a change. I know you'll pull through on this Atkins lifestyle cuz you've shown you can make huge changes...hmmm...cuttle fish....crunchy???? Sounds weird, but then again, we eat sardines here in the states so....hmmmm....

Aud - This is forever...so we've just gotta learn from our mistakes, plan and not be too hard on ourselves, cuz forever is a long time! Your doing great just to be here.

Good Morning All - Hope everyone has a great day!

RobinW
02-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Good Morning

alright.......Im starting to miss my coffee :( But I have discovered something. Not drinking coffee in the morning, keeps me from wanting something all day. Yesterday I filled my coffee cup with water. Water has been really really hard to get down since sunday. But yesterday, I managed 2 cups of water :cb: I know Im not drinking enough when Im only p'ing 4x a day :eek: Anyway...I am going to stay away from the coffee as best I can!!!

Amy~ WTG on your losses!! :cb: :cb:

Have a great a day ladies!!

bambifox
02-07-2008, 08:38 AM
RobinW - I heard on a nutrition program that coffee (in moderation) was supposed to be good for you. But if coffee is hurting you...then, you should stay away from it. I, for one, am a coffee drinker...but was drinking too much, so I just cut down to 1-2 cups a day. I used to drink 5-6 cups a day!!! My energy was fueled by coffee and diet soda. Now I drink 2 2liter per week soda and 1-2 cups coffee per day and 6 glasses of water and 1-2 cups tea.

Perhaps, it will be easier for you to wean yourself off the coffee. Anyhow...remember the important thing is to stay motivated and stay to your eating plan...so whatever helps those efforts...I say...go for it...Joyce

bambifox
02-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Lily - I just checked out your before and after pics. WOW!!! Your amazing...how great do you look???? Inspiring...absolutely inspiring! I can wait to fit into those skinny jeans too! smile.....Joyce

stayincalm
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
:( Just quickly popping in. As you can see by my ticker I'm back up to 222. That number has been showing for two days so I consider it official. No cheats. Only changes was upping calories from a maximum of 1100 to 1500. So frustrated. Feel like quitting. Having only an 8 pound drop after following induction for a full month must be the lowest loss in the history of Atkins.

Peace out.
SC

bambifox
02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey there...Sorry to hear your disappointment. I only lost 10 lbs for my first month on Atkins, but I saw a huge difference in the mirror.

Don't give up! Remember, this is a lifestyle change...key word being for "life"...which hopefully will be a very very long time!

Sounds like your counting calories and doing Atkins...this might be the problem. You may not be getting enough calories. When your on Atkins, the body needs those fats to burn or else you'll go into starvation mode (which I'm sure you've heard of before).

Also, remember the extra weight us woman gain every month during PMS.:o And....lastly, weight fluctuates daily...that why I suggest WI's once per week. But, if you need to do it everyday...try not to be too discouraged at the fluctuations. ONE THING YOU CAN BE SURE OF....EVENTUALLY THE SCALE WILL MOVE DOWN IF YOU STICK WITH ATKINS!!! There are things you can do to expedite it...re-read Dr. Atkins New Revolution... follow it precisely (induction) and step up the exercise...the scale may stall for weeks and then BAM...5, 7, even 10lbs gone...it's happened to many of us before.

Keep your chin up girl! Your on your way!:carrot:

:( Just quickly popping in. As you can see by my ticker I'm back up to 222. That number has been showing for two days so I consider it official. No cheats. Only changes was upping calories from a maximum of 1100 to 1500. So frustrated. Feel like quitting. Having only an 8 pound drop after following induction for a full month must be the lowest loss in the history of Atkins.

Peace out.
SC

RobinW
02-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks Bambi, I need to get off the coffee. It is really messing up my stomach. I have been taking prilosec for too long, and before that I was eating way too many tums. I know coffee was the main culprit. But so far so good. Im off to fill up my coffee cup with water :lol:

CrabbyCakes
02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
G'morning all! I am just popping in real quick to ask a question before I get back to my hectic office (uggggh).... anywho, after induction what has been your average loss per week (obviously not including any stalling). I know everyone is different, but thats why I am curious.

Also, in a side note, my bf of nearly 2 years and I are going through a break-up (mutual thing but it doesn't make it any easier) so I apologize in advance for my lack of, uh, being very chatty I suppose. Unfortunately (or fortunately) now I am micromanaging my diet as a distraction.

Amy On a Mission76
02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Lily, Thank God they are all okay!

Thanks, Puncezilla!

Amy On a Mission76
02-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Crabby... Sending you a big hug!:grouphug:
We are here for you!

broadabroad
02-07-2008, 11:36 AM
SC - Good lord, you poor soul. That's so frustrating! Have you considered trying a fat fast? Dr Atkins recommends it in his book for people who are having real problems shifting the weight - it's a bit extreme, but maybe it would help to kickstart your weightloss?

Crabby - I'm so sorry. Even when these things are mutually agreed upon, it still hurts your heart.

Lily, glad your DH is okay!

BAB - Great advice to Aud. I agree totally. Just curious though...what made you move to Thailand. It must have been a culture shock.

Heh. Okay, potted version of The Life Of Me:

Age 17: Finish High School. Being one of the youngest in the year, I just managed to squeeze into a Rotary Youth Exchange Program for 16-18 year olds, and so I took a gap year after getting my 'A' levels & went to High School in Canada for a year.

Age 18: Return to UK. Go to University in Scotland for 4 years, getting MA (Hons) in English Lang & Lit. During the summers, involved with voluntary summer school program in Romania (a couple of years after the Berlin Wall fell - Eastern Europe was a brave new world & very poor).

Age 22: Graduate from Uni. Go to Czech Republic for a year to teach conversational English in a High School (as I hadn't figured out what I wanted to do yet).

Age 23: Return to UK. Move to London with 2 lads from my Uni. Fanny around in London for several years, variously being a Recruitment Consultant, working for a Czech Beer Company, and being a secretary. Basically I was looking at having a job rather than a career - working 9-5, paying the bills, and getting to have fun in London the rest of the time.

Age 28: Decide to go into teaching. Have been thinking about it since working in Romania, and finally decided that the only way I'll know if it's for me is if I have a go. Head back up to Yorkshire, stay with family, temp for a year and save up, then go and do a year-long Post Graduate Certificate of Education, specialising in 5-11 yr age range. Love. It.

Age 30: Look around for job. Don't see anything local, can't imagine affording to live in London on a teacher's salary, & miss the excitement of being a stranger in a strange land. Accept a job at an International School in Cairo. Stay in Egypt for 3 years.

Age 33: Accept a new contract in Bangkok, Thailand.

...so here I am. I've been here a year and a half, and I've signed on for another year after that. Then I'm thinking maybe Japan or Vietnam...but we'll see where the wind blows me.

But I want to be a Canadian when I grow up. (If you have any pretty and eligible male or female Canadian acquaintances/relatives in search of an exotic English rose for a mail order bride, point them my way!)

After Egypt (and I do love Egypt, but it's very much a different world), Thailand seems very easy, actually. The language is a **** of a lot harder than Arabic, but the daily living stuff is very easy - it's definitely a 21st Century City. But it's not a WESTERN 21st Century City.

I do love travelling. I love the way that your sense of normal is continually challenged and rewritten. I feel like I'm continually learning about myself, as well as learning about the world around me - and while I'm young enough, and single, and have no responsibilities, I'm enjoying the freedom it affords me. And, God, I love teaching! Should have gone into it several years earlier than I did, but I'm glad I saw the light in the end! My kids are fab.

...anyway, sorry, didn't mean to write so much. All I was popping in to do was say HURRAH! For I went to the AGM of my Drama group this evening, and there was a mighty buffet spread and a free bar, and I drank soda water and restricted myself to the freshly carved ham and the chicken satay and some sticks of celery and cucumber. The tempting array of Samosas, Spring Rolls, Sausage Rolls, Crab Puffs, Rice Cakes etc etc etc I staunchly ignored. I'd been a bit worried beforehand, but it turned out to be fine.

lynnar
02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi everyone,
Excuse me while I ask a completely off topic and self-centered question. Who knows about food allergies? Here's the background. I decided about two years ago that it was eggs that was giving me a queasy feeling in my stomach, but I didn't completely stop eating them. It's gotten progressively worse and lately, I haven't eaten plain eggs at all (although having eggs in stuff doesn't seem to matter.) Yesterday I had a restaurant Chef's salad - lunch for a going away party - and I ate the hard boiled egg. I thought all the lettuce and meat would cushion it. I was as sick last night as I have been in my life and I don't really know why. When I had the queasy stomach all afternoon I figured it was the egg. I felt better by 7, so I ate a chicken breast for dinner. That's all I ate, a crummy chicken breast. By 10, I was really sick to my stomach which is very unusual for me. I've always had an iron stomach, never throw up--until last night. I seem to be O.K. today and ate hamburger patties for breakfast.

I think Lily said on this board that her shellfish allergy started out with upset stomachs. Does my experience sound like allergy? Or just a fast 24 hour flu? If it's the egg that made me feel that bad, I'll never eat another one!! It was that bad!!

I live within an hour of one of the towns hit by the tornados the other day. We've been incredibly lucky here (knock wood). Lots of scary weather passes right by us. DH and I were watching a movie on Super Tuesday because the election results get a little old. We didn't even have a bad storm. I was so surprised when I turned on the news at 10 and saw what had been happening not far from us.

CC, sorry about the break up. That's got to be tough. But "micromanaging" you diet isn't such a bad way to cope. I can imagine lots of much worse coping styles.

Same with Lily cleaning and painting. I wish I could divert stress into something positive! I'm more likely to be the one curling up with beer and chips and crummy television when life gets tough!

Well, I need to get to work, but if anyone has an opinion on my stomach issues, I'd appreciate it. I'm almost ready to go see a doctor about the allergy thing, but what kind of doctor do you see for food allergies? The same guy who gave me the good news about my sinus allergies ("you're allergic to everything"). Or the GP who talks more about his kids than my ailments? Thank God, I'm healthy since I have no luck with medical care!!

CrabbyCakes
02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
(I want to be Fay when I grow up)

lynnar - That sounds horrible! Unfortunately I know diddly about allergies. I hope everyone else is more helpful!!!

lilybelle
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
SC, sorry you've hit a rough patch but don't give up. We all have times that we gain and don't know why. But, you're getting healthier and that is what matters. BTW, 8 lbs. in a month is great weight loss. I've worked very hard at stayin on plan and exercising and only lost 4 lbs. this past month and again my wt. stayed the same this past week. It really does happen to all of us. Your body will release the extra lbs. when it's ready.

Joyce, DH usually stands for Dear Husband. Also thanks for the great compliment about my pic's.

CC, sorry about your break-up. Hugs.

Fay, wow it sounds like you've had an exciting life. All while I've spent my whole life in small town Oklahoma, LOL.

lynnar, My opinion is that you may indeed have developed an allergy to eggs. (my mom was allergic to eggs). I'd steer clear of them if I were you.

Robin, I need to join you in the crusade to drink less coffee. I also take Prilosec. Last night I was having an erratic heart beat, I knew it was from too much caffeine plus the stress I've had lately.

Someone asked about average wt. loss weekly after induction. I lost an average of 2 lbs. per week after induction. But, it really slowed when I got to about 20 lbs. from my goal I was only losing about 3-4 lbs. a month at that time.

beach bum
02-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Leo just felt to the hospital to get this x-ray taken. I'm sure once the doctors get the results Leo will be informed of what it actual is.

Going to W-I on Friday this week,because of the high sodium meal I had the other day.I'm going to be every careful,as I want to see some downward movement on the scale. I did very good with fasting having 3 meals instead of 6[meals & snacks]So maybe the scale will go down tomorrow. I don't think I'll hit my 5 lbs in 8 day mark that I'm participating on another board,but if I could lose something that would make me happy as I lost 3 so far and thats nothing to sneeze at.

LILY-Sorry for all the anguish your going thought with these tornadoes all around you.Hoping that subside soon.

ROBIN-Maybe you could flavor your water with a few sprinkles of crystal lite to get your water intake down. Just a thought.

SC-Don't talk that way of quitting, thats not allowed on this thread. Its a possibility that the 8 lb loss,you bod is resting and no matter what you try it won't work until your ready to lose again. Trust me I was there,and it can be very frustration.I lost 9 lbs since Jan1.2008 but now its slowing down.I even joined a Valentines challenge on another board and lost 3 lbs [1/14]and by 2/14 Valentines day I was suppose to lose a total of 8 I now have 5 to go,not going to make it. Adding more calories to to your meals might work,but than again it might no. Each of us has to find there balance.

CC-After induction my weight loss was very very slow,stalled some weeks and when I lost it was[.5].Sending you a lots of Hugs,:hug::val1:caring:luck2you:& good luck to you in all that happening.

Have to go dinner is ready

bambifox
02-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Crabby - Sorry to hear of your breakup...but as a "divorced" woman myself...if it's best for you...then...I'm not so sorry! Glad to see you hear...we can use your motivation as well! Whenever I go through a breakup I always imagine how fabulous I'm going to look, just walking down the street (with men hollering at me, of course) and bumb into my ex! aaaah!!!! that's motivation enough! smile! Oh yeah...to answer your question, I've lost about 2lbs per week after induction, but I agree with Lily, the last time I did atkins when I got within the last 10-15 lbs to lose, my weight loss slowed extremely to about 2-3 lbs per month!

Life change...so what's the rush! right ladies/gents (if there any????)

B.A.B. - FRIGGIN WOWWWWW! OBVIOUSLY...NO KIDS...You are living the life that (I think) every woman fantasizes about...then she wakes up to the sound of screaming kids! ha ha! Keep going girl!

aud
02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
I've done the mutual break-up thing crabbyc . . . still a stressful time as you said . . . emotions all over the map at any given moment - kind of like menopause - Lord, I am so. sick. of. menopause.

Just so sick of it.

Hang in there girl - yes, we're all here and have a wide variety of experiences to unload (LOL!:D), I mean SHARE with you if ya want. :hug:

Beachie - I'm still sending >>>>>>>"cloudy film"<<<<<<<< as an explanation for Leo's CAT your way!:hug: You are doing so great on the weight losses - Keep it UP! Missed Ash Wednesday services again this year 'cause I'm on nights . . . wish I could hear the choir . . . very haunting music this time of year.

Anyone giving up anything for Lent?

Weird about how the nausea hit you again hours later lynnar. Wondering since you've narrowed it down so closely to eggs if there isn't a test (sulfur?) a doc could easily do? Have you ever tried just eating the whites?

Tx for the support bambi & faye!:hug: Was just touched by it so here - means a lot to me.

AND so enjoyed reading your life over coffee Fay!!!!! One of my destinations b4 I die type places is Scotland . . . should it be? DO TELL!!!!

Yes, having kids certainly change the direction of our lives bambi . . . especially if you space them the way I did: One dd is 21 and the other is 10yrs!:o:^:

Don't think I've given weightsmasher or amy a shout out lately: HIYA GALS!:carrot: You're both doing great & I'm inspired by your Posts here in Doldrum Land.:cool:

How's Lucy lily? (Is my morphine on the way yet - OMGosh how I loved that drug the two times I've had it!!!) Yes, your b4 & after pics are awesome - think I'll look at ya to re-inspire myself right now - also need to get busybusy like you so I won't be so overwhelmed on the weekends here at what I've lovingly come to think of as NOT "Home Sweet Home" - but rather "The Cluttered **** Hole.":p

I'll start/re-start Induction with ya natalie . . . I've been so sucking lately - maybe a bud will help? Let me know.

Saving scalm for last - SOOOOO hoping you hang in there girl!!!:hug: I know its the pits. Been there. Are ya doing the mega-water thing? How 'bout exercise? We'll get thru this . . . I can't bear to have coffee in the morning w/o your Posts!!!:^:

beach bum
02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
AUD-Thanks for your good thoughts. I hope I can lose a little more this month.

SNACKS SNACKS SNACKS
Between each meal Thats what I'm giving up.Going to drink my milk instead at those times. I need my calcium & protein.

sylvia78
02-08-2008, 01:06 AM
StayinCalm = Why don't you post your daily food? Maybe you are eating too much protein and not enough fat. Or maybe you are eating too much too late at night. I found this happening to me. If I eat a full meal right before bed, it takes a few days for my body to adjust. There was a study of Japanese Sumo wrestlers. They eat the bulk of their foods right before bed. Are you eating late at night? Are you drinking enough water, if any water at all? Talk to us.

And try to only weigh yourself once a day, in the morning, before any drinking, before a shower, in the nude. Remember, if you weigh later in the day, you are not only weighing you, you are weighing the foods you have eaten and fluid that you have accumulated.

broadabroad
02-08-2008, 02:04 AM
B.A.B. - FRIGGIN WOWWWWW! OBVIOUSLY...NO KIDS...You are living the life that (I think) every woman fantasizes about...then she wakes up to the sound of screaming kids! ha ha! Keep going girl!

Bwah! Well, to be fair, I think that every woman fantasizes about being a damn sight slimmer and saucier and having some kind of hot romantic interest - if you were to ask me about my love life, it would be infinitely less interesting. More of a bleak and dusty desert, enlivened by the VERY VERY VERY rare spot of debauchery, but mostly populated by sandstorms and the occasional tumbleweed.

Lynnar, I don't know much about food allergies, but I do know that you can develop an allergy at any time in your life. A friend of mine developed an allergy to gluten and wheat which had results very much like those you're describing - so maybe that's the kind of thing that does usually happen when you eat the stuff you're sensitive to. :(

AND so enjoyed reading your life over coffee Fay!!!!! One of my destinations b4 I die type places is Scotland . . . should it be? DO TELL!!!!

Hmm - well, Aud, I do love Scotland to pieces, just as much as England, and I think that especially if you're coming from the New World that you'll get a kick out of visiting the UK. One of the things that really struck me when I lived in Canada was that there were totally different conceptions of time and of space depending on which side of the pond you're from. In the first few hours of me being in BC, my host pointed out with great pride a church "that's a hundred years old!"...and I blinked, and managed NOT to say "...er, my school dates back to Queen Elizabeth the First." (But on the other hand, people thought nothing of commuting for 3 hours to work and back again in BC - which, in the UK, would take you half way across England!) We take all our history for granted, and it's everywhere. St Andrews, where I was at University, is a particularly lovely wee place. It's tiny, and the cathedral has been ruined for centuries, and it's on the sea coast. The University itself dates back to...er, I think it's the 1300s, although it might be earlier. Anyway, old. And, yes, well worth visiting! (Haggis! Whiskey! Brawny men in kilts, with sexy accents!)

But, that said, if we're talking "See it before you die", I have to put a word in for Luxor, in Egypt. That's the most spectacular place I've ever been, I think. Floating over the River Nile and the Valley of the Kings in a hot air balloon at dawn...I mean, that's really something worth saving up for. Imho. (But I know Egypt isn't everyone's cup of tea.)

broadabroad
02-08-2008, 06:45 AM
...Not sure if I've sussed out this posting photos business, but here goes - this is what I wore to work yesterday, for Chinese New Year:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2366/2249748229_7e17dd2b55.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2354/2249755623_5596d5fb76.jpg?v=0

(Note my most excellent Batman handbag under my computer desk in 1st picture, and bare feet in second: we don't wear shoes indoors. It's a Thai thing.)

bambifox
02-08-2008, 07:34 AM
B.A.B. - What in the world are you talking about???...Your gorgeous, intelligent, whitty, great sense of humor....what the **** is wrong with these guys??? Well, don't know if you heard, but there is a worldwide shortgage of men. It's everywhere. Don't worry though...I find that nobody can love me better than me! When I'm okay with myself...I know the men will be lining up for my affections! smile. FYI - I would love to go to Egypt...I love exotic places and exotic men!...oh yeah...and that Nile stuff is great too!

P.S. - Love the Geisha girl thing...darling..simply darling!

Sylvia - How have you been?...haven't heard from ya in awhile. glad to see your back. I've learned about this "erythritol" sweetner that's natural and tastes great and no impact on blood sugar...so...no more maltitol for me!

Aud - We have something in common...I also have a 21 yr old dd and 8yr old (soon to be 9 this month) daughter! Two marriages! What the **** were we thinkin...spaced so far apart! But ya got to admit...the younger ones keep us on our feet. I find that raising my younger daughter...It's alot easier (I guess you learn so much from the 1st). I think sometimes though my older daughter needs me more than my baby! I also have 2 grands (age 2 & 3). There as cute as a button! I call them my 2 little second chances!

CrabbyCakes - How ya doin? Without sounding g@y...your a hot chick!...just keep imaging yourself at goal...in a few months you'll be saying...what was the *@*(^k thinking about...boy did he loooooose out! Hang in there girl! Don't forget to exercise! It really does help clear up the mind and makes you feel good (this coming from someone who hates to exercise!).

For everyone I missed....Top of the Mornin' to Ya! Joyce

RobinW
02-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Good Morning everyone.

Well, I spent the evening at the clinic with my husband, he had been suffering with wicked pain all afternoon. Turns out he has this thing with a big long name I cant remember, but it is the 3rd facial nerve that is causing all the pain. He took loritab(sp?) last night, but he said they didnt even put a dent in the pain. So he has to call today and see if they can do anything else for him. He is also taking antibiotics for it. Im starting to worry........I dont like it when things arent right with him. :(

Eating isnt good, more like it isnt enough....still loosing weight, but no exercise either.

Im off, things are just too crazy around here lately.

bambifox
02-08-2008, 08:23 AM
RobinW - Sorry to hear about your husband's pain. and yours as well. Maybe he should get a second opinion. Doctor's frequently misdiagnose. Try to keep your energy up (eat..I know it's hard), cuz he may need you more now. Take care...and keep us apprised of his progress. Sending [[[[[healthy vibes]]]]] to you and your hubby! Joyce

stayincalm
02-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Robin: I'm so sorry about your hubby. This sounds terrible. Especially pain that isn't going away with pain meds. I'm thinking of you and will send a prayer up this morning.

Fay you look adorable!

Lynn: Good idea ! I don't eat after 7:00 p.m. I usually drink 128 ounces of water or more a day. Dinner is typically smaller than lunch. Here is Monday through Thursday:

M: 1 cup decaf, black, 128 ounces of water, 1 cup salad with 2 tbsp full fat ranch dressing, one fried no batter chicken drumstick. One 5 oz New York steak and 1/2 a cup fresh steamed greenbeans. One .slice of swiss cheese

Tuesday: 1 cup decaf, black. 128 ounces of water, 1 cup salad with 1/2 cup tuna and mayo. One fried no batter chicken leg for a snack. Left over pot roast on a cup of salad. 2 slices of swiss cheese.

Wed. 1 cup decaf, black, 60 ounces of water, 1 cup salad with 1/2 cup sliced yellow pepper and 1/2 cup tuna and mayo. One ounce of string cheese. Poached chicken breast with 1 cup sliced steamed zucchini. One boiled egg.

Thursday: 1 cup decaf, black, 128 ounces of water, 1 cup of tuna and mayo. 2 slices of swiss cheese. 2 slices toasted trader joes flax bread (eight carbs for two slices). One hard boiled egg. 1 ounce cream and 1 ounce unsweetened soy milk in decaf coffee with two drops of liquid splenda. One slow cooked pork spare rib made with sugar free walden farms bbq sauce. 2 slices of thin sliced roast beef (cooked at home not the deli) for a snack.

This morning. Real Coffee with a splash of unsweetened soy, a splash of cream and a drop of liquid splenda.

As you can see, I kind of gave up the strict induction on Thursday. I've been doing it for a month and if I try to stick to that while seeing the scale numbers go up instead of down I won't be able to continue on the WOL. I plan to try to stick with pretty much induction levels for another month and see what happens. If I continue to gain then I don't know what I'm going to do!

Best to all.

SC

beach bum
02-08-2008, 10:31 AM

I'm in a rush this morning,just checking in to let you know i;m ok. Well post later.

Went on the scale this morning a & I up 1.Thought that would happen,even though I haven't been eating snacks in between or at night [gave up for Lent].Than I checked my fitday[calorie chart]
Where are my calories coming from? and I found that I'm way over my carbohydrates range. instead of being at 100-125 range when I lost, I was up to 145.This week I'm going to stay at the end of the range.

aud
02-08-2008, 02:19 PM
EATING AFTER WORK

EATING LATE AT NIGHT

MUST STOP THIS FOR LENT & BEYOND

So far it looks like the only thing I've given up for Lent is exercise!:^:

Doubling up on the Estroven . . . somethings gotta give with this funk I'm in - and SOON!

Fay - you are stunning! Just. stunning. Had my hair like yours . . . too wavy/curly - so recently went all spiky. Putting Egypt - Oriental Outfit & a faboo tattoo on my list of things to do now!:carrot:

It's MY YEAR this Year btw - Year of the RAT!:D

It's great getting to know ya bambif!:hug: You look too young to be a gran! LOL @ "2nd chances!":D Yeah, the strange breeding cycle is a trip . . . CANNOT keep up with dd10/Tess . . . she is infinitely more difficult to raise than dd21 Molly was tho' . . . I DO try to "enjoy" Tess more - something about knowing she's my last & all that - don't sweat the small stuff with her - but the two girls are literally diff than nite & day.

You're due/overdue for an Atkins WHOOOOOOOSH scalm . . . your menu sounds GREAT to me . . . how about exercise? A walk may be just what you need to shake it all OUT? Just a thought. Hang in there - I'm sure it'll be a huuuge drop when it comes.

Didn't mean to ramble gals . . . got another early (unpaid) meeting so must run - hope to cya ALL over the weekend :hug: - trying to get my groove back.:^:

lynnar
02-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Joining you all with my salad for a late lunch. Something must be working right because it's way after 2 and I wasn't totally starving for lunch! Just kind of hungry. Got caught up with work stuff.

SIC, hate to turn away credit, but it was Sylvia who said to post the menu. Looks great though. You probably are due for a big whoosh. Here's hoping.

Fay, I'm convinced! Luxor is on my Things to see list, so is Scotland, Thailand, even British Columbia! But my husband only wants to go to Ireland. His family is Irish (three or four generations back, of course) and his mother always went on and on about how beautiful it was. It probably is beautiful, but there's so much history in England, culture in France, sites to see all over the place. Why limit yourself? We're just now getting to the point where we travel a little, if we can decide where we want to go. Of course our traveling will always be dictated by price! He spends a lot of time on the Internet looking for cheap tickets. Nice outfit. I bet you had a good time!

Robin, sorry to hear about your husband. The worse thing is not knowing what's wrong! And not being able to fix what's wrong. Hope it gets all right.

My salad's gone, so I guess I need to get back to work. I have absolutely nothing planned for the weekend. I guess I'll do some serious laundry and maybe get the dogs out for a walk on the hiking trail. See you all later, Lynn

lilybelle
02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi everyone, I've been very busy. Had to take Shelbey to the bank to set her up a bank account. Then to the tax office to get her taxes done. Then back to the bank for some direct deposit forms that I had to priority ship to my son in the military. Then took Shelbey to work.

My eating has been off track for 2 day. Just a lot going on. Plan is to have an on-plan dinner and drink a ton of water. Don't imagine I'll make it to the gym tonite cause I promised to take Lacy to our high school basketball game.

I went out with my friend, Causha, last night. I normally never touch any alcohol , but I had one long island tea. It made me drunk and I felt pretty puny all night. But, I did have fun singing Karaoke.

Robin, Hope your DH has a speedy recovery, that sure sounds painful.

Bambi and Aud, my kids are 7 yrs. age difference, age 22 and 15. I now have 4 grandbabies age 3, 19 months, and 2 that are 8 months old.

Fay, great pic's thanks for sharing. Your blue eyes are so beautiful.

bambifox
02-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey all! Just winding down from a very stressful week! Whew! I'm really sooo happy with this diet...I absolutely have "supreme being" willpower. At work, my boyfriend came with a tray of 2 salsbury steaks, mac & cheese (homemade), and what looked like canned mixed veggies (yuk!). I had no problem telling him "I don't know what's in that steak...no thanks...not on my diet". He looked at me and said "Oh yeah..I forgot...that Atkins thing, right? don't wanna cheat??" (da!) I said, "hey...I'm serious about losing weight and "cheat", da!..the only person I'd be "cheating" is myself! If I wanna lose weight and get fit, I need to know what's going into my food and that I'm putting the right kind of food into my body!" He was impressed and through out the "buttered roll" on his plate. It was soooo friggin easy because, I so much preferred the delishous (Linda's low carb recipe) bourbon chicken salad I made at home, that it was worth the wait (lunch at 3pm)! yeah...me!

Aud - Same with me. My 21 yr old and 8 yr old daughters are night and day...but each manage to stress me out in their own unique way...hee hee...but ya gotta love 'em! My oldest will be 22 in May and youngest 9 this month. Damn...I'm getting old!

Lily - Wish you had recorded the karaoke after that Long Island! That would be funny! I love karaoke and long island ice tea too! I haven't drink in sooo long, that 2 sips and I'm Diana Ross! Don't ya just love getting drunk and singing karaoke...its like coffee and a cig! I'll reward myself with some drunken karaoke when I'm 10 lbs to goal...yeah!

BB - Sounds like your carbs are pretty high for Atkins, but anyway...I find if you up your cardio, it ofsets the extra carbs. Runners load up on carbs before a run...and they don't gain weight. Just a thought. Although my daily carb intake is probably about 20-30 grams, when I add fruit (which is not induction friendly), I always make sure to kick it up a notch with my cardio. It's my way of saying...okay...that orange is going to cost me an extra 5 or 10 min. on the bike/eliptical.

Stayincalm - Is that your total intake for the day??? Looks a little light on the calories, with no snacks. Remember, frequent snacking is good for weight loss. I don't think your getting enough fat nor calories...your body may be going into starvation mode.

Stay in there everyone...Joyce

bambifox
02-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Beach Bum - I found this quote on the Low-Carb Frequently Asked Questions. I hope this will help you and remind all who read it...

Common patterns of weight loss

From tracking a *lot* of people who become assimilated into the lowcarb lifestyle
(hehe...resistance is futile!) a pattern emerges....

the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported.

This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this.

OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks.

Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each! So... what gives?

Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin antidiuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occuring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite supression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing. From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging.

Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself ) is helpful.

Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet.

By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited. Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight.(whichever is the lower number)

Take-home message: Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occuring. Don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress!

aud
02-09-2008, 04:21 AM
I drank a Long Island Tea years ago with a full meal @ Red Lobster - my bf @ the time almost had to carry me out!!!:dizzy: (Don't think I was singing much -but who knows???) Glad you let loose lilyb!!!

I'd rather EAT than drink milk beachie . . . what gives? So far so good on my Lenten vow . . . sipping water here in the Wee Hours - gotta Great OP Day going that late nite eating would destroy . . . not sure if my renewed devotionals/increased prayer OR doubling up on Estroven has lifted me out of the depression/fog I've been mired in . . . just gonna keep doing both!:)

bambi tx so much for quoting the FAQ's . . . that's a Thread I haven't been to in so long . . . hope to make the time after housework this weekend - PLUS determined to eat clean & get my booty to the Y - Super Bowl kicked off the great exercise habit I'd gotten into on the weekends there.

I think I took lortab b4 I had my back surgery robin - isn't it very powerful? I may be thinking of Lorcet & Lorcet Plus (my ab fab FAVES for the sciatic nerve pain that was truly excruciating.:() lily will know. Your dh is going into my prayers tonite along with Leo's CAT scan - hang in there girl!:hug:

What time is it in Thailand dammit faye?????????????????? Where are you?

And what happened to Marie & bouncie???:?::(

Edited 'cause obviously I can't even TYPE about Long Island Tea w/o sounding drunk!!!!

bambifox
02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Good morning all! Today is weigh-in day for me. I cheated earlier this week and checked the scale. I am so stoked to report...I'm down another 1 lb for the week making my total weight loss 3lbs this week!!! YEAH..YEAH...YEAH!!!!

AND...my boyfriend's really diggin the new skinny'er me! I've got alot more energy these days (ifyaknow whatimean!)...Okay..don't wan't to gross anyone out this early in the morn. I'm just sooooo motivated. Nothing can stop me now!

Hope you ladies read that article I posted. I think I'm going to keep reading and re-reading it...especially when I hit stalls...which I know is probably coming soon! Look forward to hearing from you all! Only 22lbs to go! Yeah!!!! Joyce

beach bum
02-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Nothing new at my end.DH & I are going to watch golf this afternoon and I going to bake a black bean cake for Valentine Day. I wanted to have something[as I'm giving up candy] so I thought I give a try to a healthier various of cake. I know the beans are high carb but they have the fiber that I interesting in.

Joyce-Thanks for posting the Common Patterns of Weight Loss article for me and others.I really appreciate you taking time to find the article. The one thing I know is water retention that why I drinking 80 oz a day[1/2 my weight] and in the summer month much higher [96 oz]My problem is carbs,any kind. My doctor said I was carb sensitive and put me on the Atkins diet,but the carbs were too low for me,so on my own I started upping them gradually. I found that I lose on the weeks I have 100-125 grams.Hope I found my balance. Last week the carbs creped up to 145 and I gained.So this week I'm going back to my lower side of my range 100. I use fit day to track my carbs & calorie count.BIG CONGRATS on your 3 lb loss.You doing terrific on Atkins.I don't think the Atkins diet is working for me I still low carbing but leaning toward the other low carb diets that have higher carb counts. Have to have my fruits & High fiber cereal.

AUD-I"m the metal dragon, this year.All that metal is weighing me down. Doubling up on the Estroven,is that safe,be careful that you don't overdose.The Health web sites are saying 3 cups of milk per day & I saw that on the Biggest Loser also.Where it use to be 2 c per day.I learned from the BL is to chew S.F Extra gum when a craving for food pops up,and it works for me.

LILY-Glad that you could get out with your friend to let you hair down and enjoy your drink and Karaoke. So you went off for two days but you back OP and thats what counts.

ROBIN-So sorry to hear about your DH being in Pain. I know its hard to sit on the side and see whats going on and not to able to do anything to do for it.Sending good thought for him,that what ever it it goes away.

Have to go,have a nice weekend

Hugs :)BB

bambifox
02-09-2008, 12:35 PM
BB - Maybe Southbeach might be better for you...I hear there's no carb restriction on that. But whatever you do...remember, the scale does lie! Pay more attention to what you (and everyone around you) see in the mirror...and how your clothes fit, etc...that will tell you the truth about your progress! There IS more than one way to skin a cat (or be a "skinny cat")! Find your balance and remember to exercise...exercise...exercise...even if it's just a walk around the block...You will get there too girl!

Your sooo welcome. I was thinking of you and hoping that you would not give up cuz of the scale...When I look in the mirror I more than the 13 lbs lost...so I know the scale can be counted on for just so much... Joyce

aud
02-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Slowly getting into the 50's today . . . then gonna drop to the teens & stay there for a few days of rainy/sleet - YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAA!:carrot: So much weather FUN here in Missouri - never a dull freaking moment!;) Headed out for some yard work & to the trail but wanted to check in first -

I was up to 232 Monday - but thought it mostly bloat & was too depressed/lifeless to change my ticker. I DID do a lot of job related walking all week - and HAVE tried to "walk with a purpose" anywhere I go - instead of just shuffling along - LOL! Anyhoo, w/i yesterday on my unofficial w/i day @ 228 - all that depression and NO gain - soooo glad!:p

Setting some goals for myself - gonna try to be @ 225 on V-Day . . . and get back down to where I was @ Txgiving (212) by St. Pat's. Upping the exercise & water for starters . . . adopting bambif's attitude of "nothing can stop me" too. I read the article and found it to be soo true of my experiences - good reminders in there, as well.

Posting these weight goals are just to help me get a grip . . . seeing them here reminds me of how far I'd come & let old self destructive Holiday Habits way-lay me, ya know?

Hope you're enjoying you some golf, beachie! Anytime my dmil makes a cake and beans on the same day - my dfil always puts a scoop of beans on his cake - been doing it since he was a lil boy. May have to try your bean cake & take it to him - sounds like he'd LOVE!

lilybelle
02-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Hi ladies. I'm typing with one hand. I had a nightmare last night that I was being attacked and flung my right arm out and hit the damn wall. I'm not so sure that I didnt break a bone on the top of my hand. It hurts like crazy and I can't make a fist and wasnt' able to pump gas today so had to have Lacy do it. I went to the walk-in medical clinic for an X-Ray and they had closed 5 min's before I got there. I decided to just wrap it, ice and elevate and see how it feels tomorrow instead of spending all day today in the ER. I have been having some sharp nerve-like pains going up my right arm and my wrist and hand are a funny shade of green. Just leave it to me, the only one that could get hurt while sleeping alone. I'm just friggin accident prone. Some of you may still remember last summer when I had the pack of frozen ribs fall on my ankle and cause nerve damage to where I had to wear a plastic brace on my leg for several months. Oh, I called DH today and told him about my hand, he seemed very concerned once he finally stopped laughin at how I did it. LOL.

broadabroad
02-10-2008, 09:03 AM
!!! Holy cow, lily! Look after yourself, girl!

Must add a big thank you to Joyce for reposting the stuff from the FAQ - I found it v. useful too!

Go you, Aud, with the Purposeful Walking! Exercise really is The Way Forward!

Incidentally, colour me fascinated by this bean cake notion! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out!

So I had a bit of a low day yesterday - don't know why. It was Saturday, and rather than go to the gym I spent THE WHOLE DAY loafing around reading/sprawling on the bed and internetting. The whole. Damn. Day.

Which was a bad thing. And I ate more than I intended - didn't go off plan, but ate rather more than I meant to, vegetable-wise, and also made a chocolate raspberry shake from ice, whipping cream, a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa, a dash of raspberry essence and a sachet of Sucralose. Which was a needless indulgence. (But very nice!)

I realised, later, that I'd forgotten to take my supplements that morning. Looks like the Chromium (etc etc) pills DO do a pretty good job of supressing my appetite - I certainly noticed the difference yesterday, without them!

...really hope I've lost tomorrow. I do weigh myself every day - never used to do this, but I'm finding it useful on Atkins (if I've stayed the same/gone up, I'm motivated to stay on plan; if I've gone down, I'm also motivated to stay on plan! So it's win-win!) and this morning the scale was at 226. God, I hope it's still there tomorrow morning. But I'm trying to remind myself that even if it isn't, all I need to do is aim for an AVERAGE loss of 1-2lb per week. And that I've already lost more than that, so I can afford some plateaux.

Today was a better day, though. I started it off right, going to the gym for half an hour, making breakfast and remembering to take my various supplements, then a little later I went for Brunch at the Marriot Hotel with friends - they have a Trader Vic's there (this is an American chain, right?) and they do this fantastic Brunch Buffet with live jazz and MASSES of lovely things to eat - sushi, curry, roasts, all manner of fabulous breads and cheeses and salads and seafood and salmon and Thai food and homemade pasta put together ready-to-order and tempura and oh my GOD the desserts - all these zillions of fantastic gateaux and mousses and cheesecakes and tortes and home-made icecream with every conceivable topping for DIY sundaes or cones, and a chocolate fountain with fresh fruit to dip in it and all these gourmet truffles...AND an unlimited number of MaiTais or glasses of wine included in the price.

But I stayed on plan. For which I deserve a freaking medal. Stupid to go, maybe, when I couldn't enjoy it to the full - but this is a lifestyle shift, and it shouldn't mean that I don't go out any more. It's good to see that you can have a delicious meal (...okay, I really WOULD have enjoyed it more if I could have had some pasta/potatoes/rice, and a selection of miniature desserts...but it was still a very nice meal) and stay on plan. Go Team Me!

After that I went to the pictures (saw a Thai film called Chocolate about an autistic girl who kicks a lot of *** - great fun, girl power, makes you want to learn martial arts AND it's set in Bangkok, so it was fun to spot familiar sites!), then popped into the supermarket to buy groceries. Hadn't counted on the profusion of Valentine's Day choccies that were all over the freaking place :( - bought myself a bag of pork rinds and some macadamias for In Case Of Emergency, and told myself that if I really really wanted chocolate, I could have a sugar-free truffle when I got home. Found that worked well.

Came home and had a Chef's Salad instead - am now pleasantly full & not tempted to eat said chocolate.

...crumbs, I really am crap at brevity, aren't I? Anyway, I hope you're all having yourselves happy and successful weekends!

bambifox
02-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Good morning all! I did my 20 min. on my recumbent bike yesterday and something new...weights!!! Did 10 min. on upper body and wow!...I'm friggin dying of pain today! All these weeks of cardio and stretching and never had one pain the next day. I guess weight training hurts cuz its probably the most effective. Going to do cardio only today and give muscles a rest.

Lily - Do you think your dream could have had something to do with the drunken karaoke??? just kiddin....ha! On the serious note...I did something like that years ago. It took like a week for me to close my hand. Another time I was sleeping with my older sister (nothing freaky...just large family), and she just punched the sh*t out of me in the middle of the night. When I woke up I tried crying but was too tired and went back to sleep (incredibly funny...had to be there). In the morn, I asked WTF? She said she had a dream that I was running off at the mouth and she hit me...only it was in real life! Take care of that hand though...

B.A.B. - I'm proud of you!!! Go you! I think it is important to expose yourself to things like that. Just make sure you have yummy substitutes around so that you don't feel too deprived. BTW, that choco rasberry shake sounds devine!! I doubt the one day of rest/loafing will hurt you...at least you made good food choices and believe it or not...you burn more fat at rest than you do working out (so I've heard). You got back on the horse and that's what its all about...good job! Let us know your final WI...I'm routing for ya!
Joyce

aud
02-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I come from a long line of "sleep mishaps" - whole family walks & talks all nite! One Sis, from childhood on - would walk out the front walk to "get Dad the newspaper" - in the middle of the nite! LOL! Dad himself would come out of sleep swinging - mainly a result of WWII, I think:( - Other Sis has actually driven her car! I mainly run thru the house screaming/panic-just like my brother. All 5 of us talktalktalk in our sleep. No major injuries , thank goodness . . . and seems to have gotten better as we've all aged. I also take medication now. Hang in there (by one hand?;)) lily . . . might be time to visit the "one armed bandits" for a change of luck? Any casinos near you? (CAUTION: Long Island Tea + Casino = Bad Idea! ROTF!:p

Think we're having waaaaaay too much fun with lilys ONE drink here?

Naaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:devil:

Hoping the brevity bug never bites ya Fay - so enjoy your Posts/writing!:hug: *slurp*sip of Sunday Morning coffee* GREAT job @ the buffet! Yes, Trader Vic's is a chain here. Overdoing vegetables has never been a bad thing for me on Atkins - I think you'll do fine. Raspberry Ice DOES sound good. I'm getting ready to make a morning "protein shake" in my Magic Bullet: Crushed ice/splash of heavy cream/water/about 5 grams of carb peach yogurt/scoop of whey & soy protein powder.

I've got a "good" sore feeling going on bambiF . . . did upper body weights at the Y yesterday . . . the minute I hit age 40, I've learned to get the weights in or my metabolism is set on permanent "SLUG!":dizzy: Too bad I don't always get 'er done, dangit. Today I will do the lower body circuit - rest the upper. Main problem is to keep alternating lower/upper during the week.:( Just not making the time - must work on this!

My aerobics mainly are walking . . . spent an hour with the Manic Westie on the riverfront trail yesterday - it was hilarious. DD10 Tess ties her to her scooter & off we go - Ginger obviously thinks she's a CLYDESDALE! NEVAH wears out - which keeps me at a much faster clip, I'm glad to report.

The temp HAS dropped to the teens today as predicted . . . may do the elliptical instead of the trail - will just have to see later.

Can't get Tess awake enuf for church this morning - partly my fault - as a nite shift Mom I sometime keep her up too late 'cause I'm just so glad to spend time with her on the weekend, ya know? We went to the trail - then the Y and then travelled quite a distance to roam thru a mall til it closed! (I got her some cheap "heelies" that broke almost immediately (fortunately the wheels were stuck in the "out" position!) - I let her wheel around the mall until a guard came and sternly told me that heelies weren't allowed - I started to ask wth - they were sold in the Mall Kiosk for Pete's Sake - but didn't want DD to be witness to my civil disobedience mouth - LOL!:D We went to the show instead - saw "We Are The Spartans" - HAD to sit in the very front row - (think I'm still cross-eyed today:dizzy:) PG-13 I think 'cause it had the predictable guy-hit-in-the-groin jokes - but we laughed like loons and I let her skate in front of the screen until the credits/music were completely over. On the long drive home, we finished listening to The Best Short Stories of 2004-veryvery good audiobook.

Brevity bug sure ain't biting me . . . better run b4 I put everyone to sleep with my exciting Saturday - :^:

ttyal!

bambifox
02-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Aud - To **** with the "brevity bug"!!! I love sitting here (sipping my hazelnut coffee) listening to everyone's day to day! I bought my daughter heelies last year...this year...they just sit in the closet! Sounds like you and your dd had a great day! I'm taking my dd out today to the pet shop to look at dogs. She want's an "underdog" kind of dog! I told her if she gets all "A's" on her report card, I'd buy her one...well, she's being doing great in school this semester and I'm getting concerned...love the good grades, but didn't expect all A's so fast....really not ready for a dog! damn!

Lily - hope all this Long Island Ice Tea/sleeping disorder/drunken karaoke stuff puts a smile on your face...then at least us nuts have done our job!!!

Aud - Your right...it's a good pain, I think I'll try doing lower body today as well. Thanks for the encouragement! Joyceeeee

lilybelle
02-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Lol, thanks ladies, I do feel better today. Now that the swelling is done, I don't think it's broke. I can hold my coffee cup today, so I'm happy.

stayincalm
02-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi All: Sounds like everyone is doing great (except for poor Lily and her six round bout with the wall!). I can't believe the weekend is almost over. Next week is such a stressful week at work I'm dreading it. I have several night meetings and have to can someone (the thing I hate most in the world). Sorry I've been out. Had two funerals to go to this week and it put me in the dumps a bit. Anywho...I got the cooking done for the week (pretty much) yesterday. I made Linda's taco salad, some spicy buffalo wings, a big batch of ham and pureed cauliflower soup and about 15 ham and cheese roll ups. DH has been craving some fruit so since it has been a month on induction I picked him up some honeydew and mango slices. I also made some mock fried rice (grated cauliflower in place of the rice). It was really tasty.

Feeling the funk of the funerals (one for the father of a friend and one for the mother of a friend). Fills me with anxiety for my parents and aunt. Parents turn 80 this year and you all know the story of my aunt. I have had a terrible time sleeping this week. I finally broke down and took an ambien the other night but they give me nightmares so I try to avoid them.

Still hanging in there on induction (now week five) with the daily 1/2 to hour on the recumbent bike. Cravings are still occurring (like last week) but since I've been so strict I don't know what is causing them. I don't give into them but I'm sure not used to them. I started taking L-Carnitine and CoQ10 along with my other supplements in the hopes that the cravings will abate a bit.

I did go back to real coffee in the morning with my soy milk and some sugar fee hazelnut syrup (Hey, I can't give up everything or I will lose all motivation). I started using the rare gem of liquid sucralose last week but it is taking some getting used too (it is very easy to use too much!)

Love to all
ox
SC

bambifox
02-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Lily - Glad you got a kick out of our humor...was afraid we were going too far! Hope your hand is feeling a bit better today.

Stayincalm - Sooo sorry to hear about your friend's parents. I lost my dad to cancer in 12/97 and it's very rough...When your friends start losing their parents...it makes you think of your own family's mortality. Enjoy every moment you can with them...cuz life is not promised to any of us...
As far as the cravings go, I've been taking these fat pills (b-6, kelp, cider vinegar & lecithin)...that completely deminish my appetite. I've also heard that Chromium helps to naturally aid in appetite/cravings suppression. Maybe it would help to try some vitamins/minerals and see what works for you. I believe that when we "crave" it's because our bodies are lacking in some vitamin. Perhaps, if you find what your body is lacking, this should subside. Great to hear you are resisting your urges/cravings in the meanwhile.
Finally, I totally agree with you about giving up everything. I try not to think of it as "giving up" things...but making healthy "substitutions".

BTW, where did you find the liquid sucralose? Joyce

broadabroad
02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
SC - hang in there! So sorry about the funerals & I know what you mean about the whole awfulness of one's parents getting frailer. In my head, my mum is 36; however, since I myself am 34, clearly that just ain't true any more!

Anyway, this is just a quickie before I dash to work - wanted to say: TRA-LA-LAAAAA! I'm down to 226 lb!!! (Possibly 224 - I spent a long time squinting at the scales incredulously, and decided to go with 226 to be on the safe side.)

:carrot:

bambifox
02-10-2008, 07:10 PM
B.A.B. - Big Congrats!!!! Yeahhhhh You! Enjoy your day at work as you deserve it! Joyce

Bouncing
02-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi everybody. Sorry for being AWOL. I've got 5 days on plan and am starting to crawl out of the first-few-days lethargy. Starting. The appetite suppression has kicked in. Nothing sounds good. The only thing I know to do is plan some good, nutritious meals, and eat them whether I want them or not. Can't afford to start skipping meals. That always leads to carbs.

Brevity: I've never actually tried it, but it sounds highly overrated. Fay, I weigh every day too. It keeps me honest. Not weighing every day seems to be connecting to bingeing. Couldn't tell you which comes first. For me, they seem to be inseparable.

Hi Aud. And Lily. And Joyce. Sleep screaming. Sleep running. Sleep driving. Sleep fights. Don't y'all wake up TIRED some days?? Sleep breathing seems to be about all I can manage. Screaming, running, and fighting don't much call to me when I'm awake, either. Driving, on the other hand ... maybe. I certainly have arrived at my destination without remembering the trip. I was busy carrying on conversations with people who aren't there, yelling at our esteemed Public Servants, solving the world's problems, planning dinner, and listening to the radio. Good thing my autopilot works reliqbly. Probably got so well developed during all those years when I did the Death Commute for 150 miles a day thru Bay Area traffic...I also occasionally snap to attention when a deer runs out ahead of me and stops ("deer in the headlights" is NOT just a saying), wondering for a second exactly where on my route I am! This multiprocessing life is a hard habit to break. And speaking of breaking (braking?), why are there still deer? Silly things don't seem to have any sense of self preservation at all. Uncle Darwin, dear, I think you may have missed something. Please explain deer.

Finally, fiinally, there's a Day Five. I couldn't get to Day Two for ages. I guess it really is just a matter of getting right back up on the damned horse. I knew that, but sometimes it seems so fruitless. (Literally.) Can't wait for my energy to come back. The roses need pruning and the deck needs painted! Here in NorCA it went straight from snowdump to Spring. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 yellowjackets. Yet. Today one of the silly buggers tried persistantly to beat itelf to death on the sliding glass door. I dunno, maybe it watched the dog and thought I'd relent and let it in. Ffffft.

Gonna go away and make myself a perfectly unappealing salad just because I Should. Like I said, nothing sounds good. Alas, this too will pass.

broadabroad
02-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Five days! Fantastic! That's very nearly a week! Like you said, it really is a case of picking oneself up and getting back on the damn horse however many times it takes - good on you, Bouncing!

aud
02-11-2008, 04:14 AM
Come here for a new week of Low Carb Chat: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2048253#post2048253

(Which I've typed in the most irritating-eye crossing shade of Valentine Red known to cyber-kind!:p)