Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Angry TOM questions

Hey all,

I weighed in on friday morning at 218 (whoohoo). I always wait until I have the same reading (or lower) the next day to update my stats.

Well saturday morning, I weighed in at 222!! Geeze! Yes I had a slice of pizza the night before and a beer, but I had been following my diet to the "T" and had been a good girl and staying between 1300 - 1500 calories every day before and after friday *my friday cheat meal, and even a few beer may have made me retain a pound or two the next day, but would ALWAYS go down on sunday*

I did a TON of walking, and some time on my elliptical, and I'm STILL 222! WTH?? This am, I feel pregnant. My tummy is bloated and HARD.

I have 5 days left on my monthly birth control pills. And yes, this is the usual time I start getting my PMS symptoms. But geeze, 4 pounds?

Does this happen to you? What do you do in this situation?

Last edited by tamaralynn; 02-04-2008 at 08:30 AM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

What to do?? Hang tight. There's no way you put on 4 lbs of FAT from 1 slice of pizza and a beer. If it's TOM that's putting on the WATER weight, once it's gone, the weight will be gone too. I know it's hard, but be patient. Know that you've done everything right, take confidence in it. The scale is measuring what we weigh. And what we weigh WILL change from day to day based on TOM, the foods we've eaten (their content) and other factors. Don't let it get to you. Stick with the program. This too shall pass.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I can range from 0-5lbs when TOM comes. Your sticking to your plan so your doing all the right things. I find that if I eat any kind of pasta the scale goes up even if I follow my plan to a T. Pasta just isn't mez friendly. (even whole wheat)
I still eat it but I'm prepared to see the scale move up a bit (I tend to weight myself about everyday) but it's weird because it does go back down and I still lose weight. I don't know if the pasta cause a momentary weight gain but at the end of the week I still lose the same amount of weight if I eat pasta or not.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You just keep going, that's what you do. You might have gained something from the beer and pizza, plus water retention - but if you are following your plan, it will all work out in the end.
It's how you handle speed bumps that determines how successful you are. Don't let something like this derail you from your end goal.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Yep, I can definitely range up to 5 lbs. in a day around TOM. As the chicks have suggested, hang tight, it'll be okay!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #6  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm going through the same thing right now. I usually don't gain but the scale doesn't move down at all the week before and through about half of my TOM. I just chalk it up to water weight and I usually have a nice 2 or 3 pound lose after it's over.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I have a mini meltdown in the week leading up to my period (and it's never regular, so I never really know when to expect it). Not only do I feel like emotionally, I also "gain" 4ish pounds and it pretty much stays on until my period is over. Usually, though, my body likes to let go of weight after my cycle is over. I am not sure how this works, but it's discouraging, and then when it seems like there is almost no end in sight, I'm encouraged again.

So yes... I feel your pain. Don't let it get to you too much. Just know what to expect when you can and try to stay rational about it.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #8  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

It's definitely your period. I can fluctuate many pounds during this time.

An aside, is it uncouth to say period or menstruation? I just notice a lot of people here call it TOM as if the other words were dirty or something. I don't know.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #9  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

No, of course not, Blue! Call it whatever you want! I much prefer period myself

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Blue, it's funny you should mention that , because I call it by much franker terms in real life.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I still retain 5+ pounds around TOM, despite staying away from salt. The cells just hold on to that water I guess.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote