Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Exclamation This Weeks Healthiest Food - CAULIFLOWER

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Oh boy, I've been waiting for this one!!! It's just about my absolute favorite!
I know many of you don't care for it. Although I know LLV, we're on the same page on this one. It's sooo low calorie, sooo filling and satisfying. I eat it about 5 days a week. The prices vary on it greatly week to week and I sometimes spend more on it then I should, but I can't help it. I simply can't be without it. In fact, I don't know where I would stand weight loss wise if I haven't discovered this incredibly healthy veggie. I know it sounds dramatic, but it's the truth!!!

I usually cook it in a little chicken consomme for about 5 minutes. I like it fairly firm, though not hard and definitely not mushy. Though I know many people like to make "mashed" potatoes out of it. I also like to roast it.

I have finally converted my kids and company alike and soooo many of my clients to this favorite of mine by making it this way: Recipe courtesy of our own Sheila53 - I urge you folks to try it, even you cauliflower haters. It's INCREDIBLE. I don't even use the oil, I just lay it all on the baking sheet, sprinkle it with the spices and spray it with cooking spray. Oh and one head is never enough. Make more. MAQNIFIQUE'

Cauliflower Poppers

1 head cauliflower, cleaned and cut into bite size pieces
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (or normal chili powder for less heat)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 400
put cauliflower in a big baggie, add oil. Zip closed and shake to evenly distribute oil. Combine spices and add to cauliflower, close bag, shake. Bake on a baking sheet until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like cauliflower a lot but I don't eat it very often. I like it with curry and lots of spices. It is also good mixed with other veggies.

The recipe included with the food of the week looks awesome.

Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

* 1 lb cauliflower
* 5 TBS low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
* 1 tsp turmeric
* 2 TBS chopped cilantro
* Mediterranean Dressing
* 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
* 2 tsp lemon juice
* 2 medium cloves garlic
* sea salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Cut cauliflower florets into quarters and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
2. Press or chop garlic and let for 5 minutes.
3. Heat 5 TBS broth in a stainless steel skillet on medium heat.
4. When broth begins to steam, add cauliflower and turmeric and cover. For al dente cauliflower, cook for no more than 5 minutes.
5. Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss cauliflower with the remaining ingreients while it is still hot. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately.) Research shows that carotenoids found in foods are best absorbed when consumed with oils.
6. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

Serves 2
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Mmmm... I actually really like cauliflower.

My all time favorite way to eat it is with a spicy peanut sauce (not the most weight friendly choice.) I agree with Nelie, it's really good in curries! It's good roasted too.

I don't care for it mushy though.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #4  
LLV

Yep, you're absolutely correct, I love cauliflower, especially mashed. I just had cauliflower today for lunch, in fact
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote