Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Friends who want to keep us fat

A study came out awhile ago that said woman gain and lose if their close girlfriends did. Our family, spouses, boyfriends etc didn't matter as much as a girlfriend, even if she didn't live by us.

I have gained 100 lbs since I met my bfriend 12 years ago. I am not blaming her but it is interesting.

Her daughter is getting married in July and instead of helping me lose weight she does not comment about it except to say, "Oh brother" etc. When someone comments on my 48 lbs weight loss she'll then say yes, it's great but never will she mention it otherwise. I am smaller than her now and she doesn't like that.

When my daughter got engaged on new years she said, "now we can go mother of the bride dress shopping together in the big lady store!.

NO WAY!!

I handle it by not talking to her about my weight loss. It's too bad, we could be doing it together but she's not a good diet buddy. She submarines me.

Anyone else have a friend like this?? Mine has no idea about MF. My first day on MF we had the playoff party for football 2 weeks ago and I hid it!
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

We all have diet sabotagers in our lives. I make no response to their unsolicited comments, advice and criticism. I just keep on doing what I know is best for me and ignore them,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #3  

Height: 5' 7"

That's what I have been doing but it is very sad when it's your "person". The one you normally call when you have good or bad news.
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Maybe you just need to accept the fact that they can't relate to your goal and are not supportive because they just don't understand.

Last edited by bargoo; 02-03-2008 at 12:31 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm not on Medfast, but I can relate in a way. My best friend, who lives clear across the country from me, wasn't too supportive when I first started either. She came to see me for a weekend and teasingly called me a skinny b*tch and said, "at some point this weekend you're going to have to eat". I went out there a month after that and she was on me then again about "counting every single bite, it's irritating". Now, fast forward a year and a few months later, that girl is kicking my butt at Weight Watchers. She just had to make up her own mind. Give your friend some time to adjust, it's threatening when people in our lives change, especially if she has her own insecuritiy issues. She may be scared that if you get in shape you won't want to hang out with her anymore. Good Luck!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #6  
Yeah.....

S/C/G: 190/ticker/135

Height: 5'1''

yeah i know what you mean.. the only problem with me is, my best friend is my life partner.. and shes over weight just like me, but i want to lose weight and she says she does but she goes out and buys us girl scout cookies... and i have no will power to turn them down... i guess its just as much my fault as it is hers.. i just wish there was something i could say or do to get her on track with me... i wish there was a way that i could have more will power.. any help?
CapriPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

I can relate although it's not a friend, it's my husband. He eats sooo unhealthy and had no problems with it. He constantly buys high cal goodies. It's no wonder I'm fat.
Hope2BLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #8  

You know, sometimes you have got to pick someone else to share the good news or the bad news with.

It is very frustrating for me because I have a similar situation with my best friend of many years... it is just about impossible for her to say anything nice about my weight loss.. because of her own insecurities.

So, I've learned not to expect her support. I don't talk to her about my successes OR failures as far as weight loss.

I am just now trying to develop a plan on how to make boundaries we can both live with in regards to this, because this is important to me, and I MUST succeed. Failure is not an option.
itsablondething is offline   Reply With Quote