Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Trail Mix Suggestions

View Full Version : Trail Mix Suggestions

baffled111
02-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi all,

I made a super-delicious trail mix the other day, with seasoned pecans, walnuts and cashews, raisins, dried cranberries and chocolate chips. It's really good! But it's also 187 cals for 1/4 cup. So I'm thinking I need a low-cal filler. Any ideas? Would popcorn work or would it get stale?

Thanks!

BlueToBlue
02-03-2008, 04:11 PM
hungrygirl.com (http://www.hungry-girl.com/) has a bunch of trail mix recipes that are lower in calories (around 100-120 calories per cup)--search the website for trail mix. They use popcorn, cereal, and those fruit puffs that are sold as baby food for fillers. Freeze dried fruit might also work as filler, it tends to be lower in calories than regular dried fruit, I don't know why.

CountingDown
02-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't like popcorn as a filler. It does tend to get a bit stale, and it doesn't hold its shape well if you you are back-packing it. I like cereal for fillers (usually adds some vitamins and minerals too) oh, and I love making home-made granola and using that.

gailr42
02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Yummo! I bought some at Costco that sounds just like what Baffled makes. It comes in at just about the same calories. Love it.

I bought a bunch of nuts and seeds and dried cranberries at Trader Joe's. I just sort of mixed it together and put it in a bag. Also yummo.

None of this helps to lower the calories, I know. I wonder if something like Kashi go lean would work - or would the "fiber twigs" get mushy.

horsey
02-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I didn't know about that Hungrygirl website, I've been trying to figure out how to shop better, that's helpful.

jtammy
02-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Baffled, Fiber One Cereal might make a good filler. It has about 120 calories for a cup. I think I would have to add the popcorn as I eat it. It would get stale if you added it to it and stored it.