Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #1  
All things are possible!!

Default Stretch denim

I am starting to hate this stuff! Two of my favorite jeans are made from stretch denim. The thing is - they fit me 17 pounds ago just fine, and they are fitting me now just fine, too. If I had been wearing jeans/khakis made from regular denim, maybe I would have noticed the weight (about 25 pounds) that I have gained in the last year or so. But no, these jeans just "grew" with me! UGH!

After I can no longer fit in these jeans, I will NOT be buying anymore jeans or khakis made from stretch denim or other kind of material.
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Personally,

I love stretch denim, if its the right kind. I like the kind that has a little stretch, not a lot. For some reason, regular denim and me don't mix. It tends to fall down on me. I guess I could get a belt but...

If you have really stretchy pants, I can see how they can grow or shrink with you.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #3  

To me, they rank right up there with elastic waist bands!! Not that all the other feelings (tired, stuffed, out of shape, etc.) shouldn't have told me I gained 100 pounds!! I got to the point regular jeans were for "traveling" (to school, store,etc.) and sweats/pj bottoms were for home, because they were comfortable!! The regular jeans didn't stop me from gaining weight, I still managed to go from a 12 to an 18 without batting an eye about buying up a size -- now I can't wait to start wearing my "down a size" clothes!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I'm a rigid jean gal. Hard to find recently. Luckily I have them in 3 sizes!

Last edited by Nori71; 02-02-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I hate stretch, i find it clings in places i don't want LOL, i'm a rigid denim girl too - I found 3 varying sizes at wal-mart sale, awesome trouser jeans that fall away from the leg and straight down, no clinging to the knee and showing the bulging thighs LOL -- and they were on sale for $9 whoohooo
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

I Loooove my stretch denim. I think we are talking about the same thing... I wear Venezia jeans and they have some spandex in the material I think. They look like jeans but they do "give" or cling in some places which I LOVE. Even as fat as I am, I have nice curves (even tho they are too huge) and I like how the jeans show my curvy hips. They do not have an elastic waistband tho so I can't grow too much in them.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

The current jeans I love that have a bit of stretch in them are VS, Eddie Bauer and Levis.

I hate hate hate elastic band pants though and would never wear them. I'm also not a fan of sweats.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #8  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

stretch jeans are horrid! they really emphasise my massive thighs because they stretch the material around them, id much rather have rigid jeans that are a bit loose, then they are gonna flatter my massive thighs not draw attention to them
burn them at the stake!
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #9  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

The only jeans I was able to wear at my highest weight were stretch denim. Now, I refuse to wear them on principle alone. Really though, I don't like the way they cling or the way they get saggy after a couple of wears. I only buy denim without stretch now.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

What I also like about my stretch denim is that I can throw them in the hot dryer and they fit me even if I lose 10 pounds. Maybe all jeans are like that though?? WHen I weighed 278 I mostly wore sweats, yuck.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #11  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

I have very curvy hips and rigid jeans usually don't fit comfortably over them without being too baggy everywhere else. Also, I have found that rigid jeans have way too high of a rise, so I'll stick with stretch denim...More comfortable and flattering on me. Even my size 5 sister wears it, so it's not just for us fat girls!
blueyedlvrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #12  
All things are possible!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedlvrgirl View Post
I have very curvy hips and rigid jeans usually don't fit comfortably over them without being too baggy everywhere else. Also, I have found that rigid jeans have way too high of a rise, so I'll stick with stretch denim...More comfortable and flattering on me. Even my size 5 sister wears it, so it's not just for us fat girls!
You're so right - these are for every size, that's for sure. It's definitely popular right now.

And they ARE comfortable. That's why I have so many pairs of jeans and khakis made from stretch denim. They are extremely comfy. I actually love wearing them.

For me, I guess I need pants that will actually FEEL TIGHT when I have gained some weight. When I'm totally out of the losing-weight mindset, I steer clear of the scale. I honestly had no idea that I gained 25 pounds in the last year. The shirts I wear are loose and baggy, so they all still fit after gaining that weight. If I would only wear jeans and pants made from "regular" denim or cotton, then I would notice when they become too tight. I hope that makes sense.
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 308/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

I hate stretch denim! I had a pair of rigid jeans that I adored! I wore a hole in the first pair , and grew out of the second . I still have the second pair! It's the only pair of "sentimental" jeans I have - I got rid of the rest of the ones that were too small. The thing that drives me nuts about stretch denim is that they fit great in the dressing room and then just long enough for me to take the tags off or lose the receipt. After that they stretch out and I have a saggy butt all day! Washing and drying them helps, but only for a half an hour or so, then they're all stretched out again

Although, I must say it's the lane bryant jeans that do that the most for me...I just got some from old navy that I adore and haven't done that yet! They're in the "Flirt" cut, but I'm sure it all depends on individual body type. I'm just glad I found some I like, since I can NEVER find rigid jeans anymore!
alliegater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

A fashion tip I read says that the stretch denim can actually make your butt look flatter because of the way the fabric stretches. A pair of properly fitted cotton-denim jeans are supposed to be better at emphasizing curves.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I like standard stretch denim, but I absolute hate the "denim lite" stuff the Avenue's been selling. It's much thinner than regular denim, and clingy in really unflattering ways. Honestly, I don't know what some of the designers are thinking.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote