Old 02-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 314/215/135

Height: 5'4

Default ? about Caliorie counting

Ok I use 2 do WW for 3 years I had 2 stop do to finacial reasons , so know I am trying something new. This week I started the calorie counting, I have decided 2 do 1500 a day, but I am having a hard time hitting it I don't want 2eat just 2 get the calories in but I guess I am not as hungry as much cause I am eating better, even better then when I was on WW, now my ? is if I don't hit my caliories is that a bad thing? I know they say you need 2 eat 2 fuel your body but I am finally listening 2 my body and only eating when I am hungry, I want 2 lose I don't want 2 stall,

Plus the fact that I am working out everyday I am starting to run, up 2 a mile and want 2 do more,

Thanks for listening and for any help you may have,
its my time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

I figure my weight by what my ideal weight is. According the the BMI chart its between 120 and 140. I'm 5'11 I multiply 140 ( which is a realistic weight for me) by 10 and thats my caloric intake to maintain that weight. Hopefully I'll be used to only eating that much by the time I get there.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Did you read the Frequently Asked Questions sticky at the top of this forum? You might find some answers there.

It might be good to think in terms of a range of calories rather than a set number. For example, 1400-1500 per day.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You don't have to have the exact number of calories , try and get close or as Jay reccommends a range You will get better at calorie counting as you go along.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I understand where you are coming from - I have been there myself. How far off from 1500 are you. As others have mentioned, you don't have to be exact.

I will tell you from experience that you need to try and not go to low for too long or you can crash and burn. That has happened to me where after 4 days of eating too low, I would have one day of being famished.

There are times that I eat to avoid the potential burnout later. I ran into this just this week. I had a very busy week at work and had not exercised for 3 days. Then Thursday, I had this second wind at 8pm at night had a great workout. Well I was done after 9:30pm and was not hungry (workouts usually make me hungry but this was an usual night). I still went ahead and ate to get my calories at least up to 1400.

You are correct to listen to your body but there are going to be many more messages sent over the course of your weightloss.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #6  
Anime Cat Girl

S/C/G: 255/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I wish I had that problem! I have a hard time eating less than 1700 a day...
FluffeyNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I went to my medical dr yesterday and she did the same method to figure how many calories I should be eating. I should weigh about 130lb and she said to multiply times 10. She said to eat within a 100 calories either way.
She is also a believer in eating less for a few days and eating more for a few days...she also said to have a cheat day every other week. I really dont want a cheat day yet and i have been going for 6 days. I get to go to her office weekly and weigh and get my blood pressure checked. She thinks the weigh in will be good for me to keep me motivated and to make sure my blood presure med doesnt need to be lowered. I am excited about it. Plus she isnt charging me anything to get weight and blood pressure taken!!
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

That is a pretty great doctor that she is vested in your overall health that she would not charge extra for weighing and blood pressure checks.

I don't think you need a planned cheat day or meal. These can be slippery sloaps. I generally take them as I need them (which is not often) or as a special occasion arises (holiday, special night out etc.). I find these work better for me because they are less frequent but I know that I can enjoy them and be right back on track the next day. The important thing is not to get in a mind set that anything is permanently off limits or not allowed.

Best of luck

Lori

Last edited by lorilove; 02-02-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8"

Just make sure you're not going too low. I've read that people shouldn't eat less than 1200 cal/day.

Add some nuts to your diet, or avocados, or olive oil in your salad. Those are calorie dense food, but they're also very good for you and can help you reach your calories for the day.

Good luck!

Last edited by friendlykat4u; 02-02-2008 at 01:53 PM.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 314/215/135

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone, I am don't think I am to low, I have ranged from 1200 the first day that was the smallest, the others were 1350-1500, so I am not really sure.

I was eating healthy this week, I worked out good, I mean I even started running, and I didn't lose not even 1 lb this week , so that is kinda making me a little sad, I so wanted to go and eat all sorts of Junk food, but I didn't I mean I ate more then I should of but it wasn't real junk food, lol, so I guess that was good,

see I am eating but only when my body tells me it is hungry, and I know I have already said this but I don't want 2 eat just to get the caliories in, o well guess I will just keep pushing on and hope it will start to show,

Thanks again for your help
its my time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #11  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Keep the faith! I know it is frustrating to not lose, but with the added exercise, you may be retaining extra fluids, which affect the scale. You are doing GREAT! I know that you will see the results soon.

CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

I want to second what CountingDown said. When I workout I notice that I often weigh more the next day and there are times it will last a couple of days.

Do you measure? You could actually be building muscle with your increased activity which takes up less space. I have noticed weeks that I don't lose pounds I often lose inches. Inches are just as important as pounds to me because I am taking up less space in my cloths. LOL!

Are you feeling better physically? If you are you are taking steps in the right direction and the weight will eventually come off. Sometimes our bodies can be a little stubborn but it doesn't mean we are not making the right choices.

Just hang in there and continue to eat right and exercise. It will happen!
GrammyL is offline   Reply With Quote