Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: February 1 - 15, 2008

Mel
02-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Happy February:)

I heard big heavy splats on the skylights while I was doing my elliptical session this morning. When I ran out to get the newspaper, my legs went every which way when I hit the front walk at full speed. Freezing rain and ice :p I didn't fall (yay! balance training!) but sent my son, who is marginally well enough to go to school, back to bed. Figures that he finally hauls himself out on time and there is a two hour delay :dizzy:

Sorry for all my scale whining yesterday- it finally dropped this morning by a pound and a half. Making a whopping total of 3 pound in January :o

Sportsfreak- Those calories seem low for working out. I'm 5'2", weigh 126 and am 53. I have more muscle than is necessary- tons for a woman my age, and eat 1350 or so to lose at a snail's pace. My suggestion would be to up your calories by 200 on workout days for a few week, then add another 100. As you gain muscle, you probably will gain scale weight or stay the same- you don't want to lose weight, but build muscle. For that you need fuel! Don't be alarmed by eating more, but I agree that jumping to 2000 all at once may not work for you. No matter how many books are written, every BODY is individual and sometimes it just takes some trial and error to find what your body needs. You are headed down the right path!

Baf- How does your back feel? Could you sleep?

Off to get ready for work- no 2 hour delay there!

Mel

Meg
02-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Morning, Mel! We've got quite an ice storm here too, but I still managed to slip and slide my way to the gym. It was going to be Leg Day but my knee said NO NO! so I did a whole day of triceps for fun. I wouldn't usually spend a whole workout on such a small muscle group but it was Friday and I was feeling goofy. So I did every tri exercise that I could think of - cables, DBs, BB, and machines. Got my cardio done and now am waiting to see if my father's flight to FL is actually going to take off since I'm transportation to the airport.

Hope the back is feeling better, Baff!

sportsfreak
02-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Well up here in toronto there is a snow day so no school for me today :carrot:.

Mel I do get what your saying. I know that i am not eating enough to build muscle. I just finished loosing all the weight i want, now i just want to build muscle and shed the last bit of fat. Are you saying I should eat aroung 1500-1600 on workout days and then 1300-1400 on non-workout days, then after a few weeks I should increase the amount on both the workout and non workout days.

Unfortunaly I will not be able to start the plan in the book for a another week or more because i have to buy the equpitment so i can do the exersises:(.

elisa822
02-01-2008, 09:01 AM
sportsfreak - I'm in Toronto too yet I managed to make it to work just fine! ;) Enjoy your day off.

Mel - glad the scale had finally rewarded you! 3 lbs. for January is pretty good in the end, don't you think?

What a crazy snowy day here. I'm supposed to go to the gym at lunch (which is only at the corner) but I'm not sure that I want to venture outside. We'll see I guess.

Have a great day!

:D

baffled111
02-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Congrats Mel! 3lb is not bad at all. :)

Thanks for all the tea and sympathy, ladies. I variously medicated myself before bed last night, so I slept just fine. I was certain I would be good as new today, but actually my back is still killing me. This sucks! I have to teach today and spend hours at my desk reading and writing. I'm quite sure how I'm going to pull it off. Painkillers, I guess.

The one sunny element in this back thing is that it has given me new appreciation for my general strength. I can't bend over, but my legs are strong and I can squat down and I can use my ab muscles rather than my back muscles to move my torso around. This is nice.

At least bf will be back tonight!

Lifeguard
02-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Hello everyone! I would like to join your chat this month if that is ok? I have been working out hard with the weights since July & could use the extra support now that I am going it alone here in Costa Rica. Thanks!

Lydia227
02-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Mel: Guess where I am logging in from this morning? Stauffs. :coffee: DH took the day off, the kids are in school, and its a morning date. Congratulations on your loss this month. Personally, I think whining is warranted. I'm also glad to be corrected last evening. I was hoping I was wrong but when people start rethinking priorities i get nervous. ;)

Meg: No legs for me yesterday either. I tried, did get sl deadlifts in but that was it. I've since decided to take a rest day today since my knees felt a little more sore than they should have today. I think it was the cardio session on the AMT. I really need to stay off that crazy thing. It is the piece of equipment that was the last straw for my right knee in the first place. It's just so darn addictive though and a nice change from the elliptical.

Baffled: I can imagine it was not pleasant to wake up with Day 2 of the strained back. I really hope you are feeling better once the weekend hits. Really cool though how you've compensated for not being able to bend your back and found great strength in your quads and hamstrings when squatting. Not much of a silver lining :^:

Lifeguard: Jump right in, the water's fine. :devil: I wanted to tell you that I love your quote at the bottom. It's so very true.

Elisa: Few more weeks and it's vacation time. What a great idea to hook up with some girlfriends for a special birthday outing. Have a great time.

Nelie: Speaking of vacation, I loved your photos. I don't think that I had an opportunity to reply to them when they posted. You posted them sometime between the time I was moping about my knee and when I went under the scope. It looks like a beautiful place to visit.

I'm down today from earlier this week. Thank goodness but unfortunately tomorrow is going to be a carbfest from hades. My dad retired this week and the family is having a dinner for him on Saturday. Dining out is not the problem for me. Unfortunately, the part of Ohio I will be going traveling through does not grill chicken without a bribe and no meal would be complete without four starchy side dishes. Maybe I can slip my own meal in baggies, :dunno: It's a big group. No one would notice. :devil:

sportsfreak
02-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Just had a question regarding types of protien drinks. What type do you ladies buy if you do use them. I know i don;t want anyhting is creatine mono-hydrate in them, just a drink that can help me get addition portien in conjunction with my diet. I was looking at gnc's website.

how is the Next Proteins Designer Whey?

There are so many to choose from. Do you guys have any reccommendations on to which protien drink i should get. I just want to be able to mix it in milk or water.

I just need this drink to get in the extra protien the book requires me to have.

Thanks

baffled111
02-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I use Designer Whey. It's pretty inoffensive. I never just mix it with milk or water though: I always make a smoothie with yogurt and berries. (Although I have been known to use milk and chocolate syrup instead...)

Eves
02-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Okay, I'm officially joining you guys.

I've moved to an apartment complex that has a gym. It's not the greatest, but it's better than what I had in Peru. It has a treadmill, elliptical, 2 bikes, a stair climber, and a gazelle for cardio. But no free weights :(

For the machines they have:

One four sided machine with:

pec fly
lat pull down
bench press
an incline to do sit ups
hamstring curl/leg extension (sort of)

tricep press
leg press
shoulder press
arm curl
another lateral pull down
abdominal crunch
another ab one where you recline and your upper body sort of hangs
inner outer thigh machine

This stuff is okay, but I prefer to use free weights. Plus, there's not enough there for my butt. I'm trying to figure out some decent routines for what I have, but I can't think of anything that really replaces the squat or deadlift which are what I want to do. There's a bunch upper body stuff there, but next to nothing for my booty and legs (and trust me, my butt needs bulk).

I just may be in the weird just came back to the US funk. Or I may decide to go ahead and buy that gym membership (it would have to be on the 16th when I get my first paycheck).

In any case, my eating is right on track. Sort of. I forgot to buy bread or tortillas, so there went my grains. And, today I'm going for 100g of protein without any powder. I'm slowly increasing my protein so that my body doesn't decide to freak out. And as soon as they decide to plow, I'll go and get the rest of what I need. Sheesh!

Here's hoping for the best!

WaterRat
02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
:welcome: Archy! I've read a bunch of your posts from Peru, and really enjoyed them! Coming back to the US - and the mid-west! - must be a kind of culture shock. And weren't you just recently married?

A lot of us are currently enamoured of New Rules of Lifting for Women. You could probably do most of the workouts in it with the equipment at your apt, maybe purchase a couple of dumbbells.

Lifeguard
02-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Thank you Lydia.

Sportsfreak - I've got the Designer Whey right now - not too bad but I find it leaves a nasty after taste. Today I mixed it with milk instead of water & that did seem to be better, plus creamier. I REALLY like the NeoGennixx Protein Splash stuff. They've got some great flavours - but I can't get it down here.

I'm excited, we have a friend coming to visit this weekend & he's bringing "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" with him for me. Woohoo!

sportmom
02-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Freak - I also use Designer Whey, it's pricy, but worth it. Probably the least offensive. I can drink with milk, or with a smoothie concoction with water & strawberries.

Was also going to suggest - are you a freak for spectator sports or team sports? If team, can you get the rest of your team into the gym with you? If you're not, can you FIND OUT when the girl teams (soccer, lax, cctry, etc) do their workouts and slip in then? At least you'd be on neutral ground and not in enemy/jock territory. OK< that's my brainstorm for the day.

BAFF - I did the same thing to my back last spring, 2 days before I was to fly to New Orleans from the east coast. I just knew I would not be able to sit in an uncomfy airline seat that long, much less hoist my luggage around and do security antics. SO I canceled that trip and just tried to take it easy. Didn't do the heat or ice tho. I was truly gone and I was back to normal in 3-4 days max. I'm hoping the same for you. Since we injured it the same way (mine was either the stiff legged deadlift or the bent knee deadlift, not sure) there's hope that this will pass soon. I have permanent notes now on my workout sheet to not exceed the next lowest weight I used before the pull! It was that bad that i'm not risking it again!

Mel, glad you have been rewarded. We all get a little bit unnerved I think when the pros get baffled (ha! couldn't help myself!)

Happy Feb! All you should soon see relief at your overcrowded gyms - the first shoe to fall is the ones succumbing to the SUperBowl parties. The V-Day chocolate is only 2 weeks away to get the rest of em! ;)

sportsfreak
02-02-2008, 08:40 AM
sportsmom- I play many sports including hockey, squash, badminton. The problem arises that there is no dry land training for these sports I play. We just train for the game. Thanks for the advice though.

There is a gym that is located right next to the school LA FITNESS, my mom is also a member there but they refuse to give a discounted price. Before should could get any member for 20 a month, now its like 37.50. I'm going to try to get a membership here (save my money first) because its right beside my school and I can go afterschool.

Lydia227
02-02-2008, 08:50 AM
All you should soon see relief at your overcrowded gyms - the first shoe to fall is the ones succumbing to the SUperBowl parties. The V-Day chocolate is only 2 weeks away to get the rest of em! ;)

YES!:devil: Actually it hasn't been too bad at my gym with the exception of Saturday mornings. There are a lot of kid programs running then too so I don't the the SuperBowl V-Day combo is going to have an impact here.

Down another half pound this morning. I'm so glad to see this. I was looking at my stats from Fitday and found that I'm about ten pounds lighter now than I was last March. So there is still hope for me in trying to reach my goal for this June. :D

Archy: :welcome: to the forum and back to the States. It will take time to acclimate so be patient with yourself. DH used to travel a lot internationally for several weeks at a time. He was in a constant state of assimilation. :dizzy: About those LBWO. Perhaps you could purchase a couple of sets of dumbells to execute quad and hamstring exercises after you complete your cardio session at the fitness room in your complex.

Freak: I also use protein powder. A scoop goes into my morning oatmeal/cottage cheese mixture. I may also use a second serving in the afternoon for a midmeal if I'm busy. http://www.jayrobb.com/jayRobbProtein.asp
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2615315&cp=2167077.2522433.2615889.2169539&parentPage=family

The powders are just really pricey and honestly, I think eating clean proteins such as egg whites, cottage cheese and chicken breasts are great ways to incorporate the extra protein for building lean mass too. They can be prepared ahead during the weekend and available to you when you want them during the week.

Off to congratulate dear old Dad this afternoon. Wish me luck at the carb fest. I've already checked the menu online. I did see a a steak/grilled chicken breast combo so I think I'll be okay so long as I can convince them to leave the broccoli alone.

Eves
02-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Good morning everyone!

Today I am driving up to Chicago for a friend's bridal shower, so I want to get a good workout in. Since I'm just getting back into the swing of things I'll go for high reps low weight and on my Monday I'll start up with lower reps higher weights.

WaterRat - Thanks. Yes, I just recently finished up my dissertation field work in Peru. I just got married, and I just recently returned to the US for good exactly a week ago. It is a culture shock. I forgot how homogeneous the Midwest is. And to make matters worse, I'm still between English and Spanish, so if you surprise me I have no clue in which language I'll respond!

BUT, I have been following the discussion here on the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I do want to get it. On Feb. 16 when my paycheck comes in. And I've been looking through Craigslist Chicago to see if anyone is getting rid of some dumb bells. I need to get out of Resolution Season before I can find any of that, though.

Lydia - Thanks. My professor says that after being gone a year and going native (marrying one of the natives, he he) it will take a while.

I remember that I liked Designer whey. But only in my yogurt. I've finally found the box with all of my fitness notes and wow, it's weird. I have like 3 pages on online research for protein powder. What sort of freak was I a year ago???

nelie
02-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Archy - I am glad you can join us! You are just all over the place though, last I saw, you were in California? Now Chicago? How long do you expect to stay there?

Not much going on with me. I'm still fighting my own laziness. Its rough but I know I just need to push through and get back into my routine.

baffled111
02-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Morning everyone!

Welcome to LWL Archy!

Lydia, I'm with you: I do eat protein powder, but where possible, I prefer to get my protein from real food. Chicken tastes a lot better. :)

My back still hurts a lot today. It feels really, really stiff and sitting is uncomfortable. Grumble, grumble. I'm trying to decide if I should go to the gym and try to do some moderate cardio on the elliptical or whether I should just go the office and get some work done. Either way, it's a real pest and i haven't done any work or exercise in several days. Horsey, I think my problem wasn't the weight (although I did jump up 25lb from my usual weight) but not being careful enough about form and not doing a warm up. Usually I'll run for 5 mins or do 25 squats with the unweighted bar before I start. I just didn't feel like it though, so I threw a bunch of weight on the bar and started lifting. Now I've learned that lesson. :dizzy:

My gym is still packed. I think they're going to need to expand or something. On Tuesday after I finished my weights, I had to wait about 10 minutes before I could get on a treadmill for intervals. That sucked.

Have a nice Saturday.

elisa822
02-02-2008, 03:45 PM
My gym is also still a bit too busy for my tastes. Sometime soon they're starting some major renovations. While I have no idea how they do that and keep the gym open, when it's done I think there will be a lot more practical space and bigger rooms for classes.

Right now I can't get a treadmill at lunch unless I get there by 11:45 and you can only book a spot in yoga on the morning of the class. I used to call at 7:30 in the morning and now it's full by then. I have to leave myself a note to call at about 6:15 to be sure I'm in. Craziness but I expect it to drop back off soon.

Yes, superbowl tomorrow! My dh and I usually have some sort of fun superbowl food without going too crazy. I'm not sure what this year's menu is yet but it might involve homemade nachos (baked chips, ground soy, salsa and some light cheese). I'm trying to see if I can think of anything else. It's usually a somewhat healthier version of traditional superbowl foods.

The scale has been holding at between 129 and 131 and I'd be thrilled if I didn't have the 5 all inclusive holiday days in my near future. I'd love to drop one or two more before I go but I'm just not sure if it's possible.

baff - hope your back is feeling better soon! I think you've sufficiently scared me now to ensure that I warm up better than I do. I'm only doing 60 lbs. for the deadlifts but that's still a new weight for me.

Lydia - good luck with the carbfest! Let me know how you did...maybe you can inspire me!!

sportsfreak
02-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I do eat alot of protien in my diet. I only want to use this on the days i workout to help me get in the extra protien my body will beneeding. I have a hard time trying to eat 100g of protien a day. I can get up to 70-80 if im lucky.

Well today i stopped by the gnc to see pick up the designer whey. It was way to expensive at the store. Does anyone know of any online places that sell it cheaper.

Are there any cheaper brands that are okay to use. This one is a bit pricy for my budget.

Lifeguard
02-02-2008, 04:43 PM
You might just try other stores - I've found GNC to be one of the most expensive places. Or try your gym - at my gym he'll even give me samples of something new so I'm not committed to the full container if I don't like it.

Mel
02-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome Archy and Lifeguard! Wow, we have a well traveled group here!

Sorry I've been MIA- I have a nasty intestinal bug:p and have house guests this weekend (from Toronto).

Very half-hearted leg workout this morning with my leg partner who also has a stomach thing- we started out green and didn't really get any better.

drive by post-

Mel

Lifeguard
02-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Just got home from the gym. Usually when I don't feel like going once I'm there I get into it & or at the very least I feel great for getting it done but today I am just as grumpy now as I was before - ugh!

I did have a decent workout today:
Squats - these are getting stronger. I struggle with rocking at the bottom & have to really focus on staying tight there.
Step Ups ss Cable Pressdowns
Seated Rows ss Alternating Curl & Press
Good Mornings - added these in as I didn't want to do much cardio today thanks to my new blisters on my right heel. The hams appreciated it I think.
Wrapped up with 10 minutes on the bike.

Here's to tomorrow being less grumpy - lol!

sportmom
02-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Freak, Wal-Mart has a pp that to me, if 99% as good as Designer Whey. I've posted a pic of it. It's called Body Fortress 100% Premium Whey Protein. I'm guessing about 1/2 the cost of DW.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/hrbabe/200.jpg

sportmom
02-02-2008, 11:20 PM
OK, in other news, I'm reading a really really good book that I'm enjoying immensely. Reminds me of what people who train to be PT's would use as a textbook, maybe. Has anyone read it? http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Training-Lee-E-Brown/dp/0736060596/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202009324&sr=8-2

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/hrbabe/book.jpg

mkat321
02-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Mind if I join in here? after much procrastination I went today and purchased two weight benches {one adjustable incline bench that doesn't have leg attachment and one standard bench with lift bar rack and leg extension/curl bar} and a convenience pack of stainless hand weights.

I must admit that I haven't read much about the New Rules book yet,*ducks* but I've become a big fan of Tosca Reno since my beloved bought me her Eat Clean Diet book before he left for pre-deployment training last month. Picked up her Workout book today at Walden books as well, as a sort of jumping off point/guide book.

Mel
02-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Fran- that is one of the text books for the NSCA certification.

Welcome mkat! I haven't read Tosca's book, but regularly read her columns in Oxygen. I'm sure her workouts are great.

Rest day (cooking, cleaning, etc) for me. We are taking our guests to Longwood Gardens (http://www.longwoodgardens.org/) today- well, one of them, while the other one goes on a 2 hour run through Valley Forge Park. :p

Mel

nelie
02-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello all!

Yesterday, I went kettlebell shopping. DH and I checked a high end exercise equipment store that was in the same shopping center where we had lunch at. They had kettlebells but the handles were huge. They put a lot of weight in the handles making them hard to hold. I don't think those were designed with women in mind.

So we went to Dick's and they had the same brand Target has which is GoFit. They have most of the weight in the ball and the handles are manageable. So I got a 25 lb and a 35 lb kettlebell. The 35 lb is insane. I did some stuff with it yesterday but not too much.

My legs are sore today, not sure if it was the long walk yesterday morning or the kettlebells :)

Welcome mkat!! You have much better benches than me. All I have is a standard adjustable bench that cost $50 at Walmart.

mkat321
02-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Welcome mkat!! You have much better benches than me. All I have is a standard adjustable bench that cost $50 at Walmart.

IDK about that. One of the benches cost $39.98 and the other $49.98. both at walmart.

Lydia227
02-03-2008, 12:24 PM
MKAT: :yay: :welcome: :yay: You found a great place to hang out and get some helpful advice in adding strength training to your program. At least I think so. :s:

Congratulations on your loss of 40 pounds. :high: What a great accomplishment. I have not read Reno's book but am familiar with her. During my loss I used Body for Life as a reference. Maybe I'll check her out from the library. I can always use additional recipes . Good luck with strength training and let us know how you continue to progress on your mission.

Fran: Thanks so much for posting the book you are reading. I'm on my way after this to see if I can find it at one of libraries or bookstores. I have requested the New Rules from our library but I'm the 15th person in line to get it. There are 7 copies floating around the city so I'm hoping within a few weeks I'll have it in my hot little hands. I skimmed it at Borders but decided not to invest in it until I've decided there is new info in it for me. I have to say though that I really enjoy reading the conversational style in which it was written.

About that protein powder. Did I read that right on the label, 46g of protein. :yikes: How many scoops? I'll go find out myself. I would also like to find a less expensive alternative. Thanks for sharing. Now you made my day very busy as I add searching for these things on my to do list. :rofl:

Mel: You are just having a time right now. Hopefully this in only a short lived virus and you will be feeling less queasy soon.:hug: :chin: ~And yet she still got that workout in, amazing isn't she! :yes: ~ By the way, is it you doing the run you referred to this morning? If so enjoy the fresh air.

Lifeguard: Still feeling grumpy? :club: You did have a great workout, so good for you. Do a few squats for me tomorrow if you get the chance.

Elisa: I do not envy your gym arrangement. You are one dedicated and focused person to be able to call at 6:00am to reserve a space. Great example of how to adjust when necessary. :D

Freak: Love your name by the way. I sometimes have a hard time getting my protein levels each day too, especially in the beginning. One of the things that helped me was to make certain that I chose a good protein source with each meal/snack. If I need to eat something, it had to have a clean protein in it. Just keeping this in mind and making it a rule really helped me keep those levels more in line with my goals.

I don't remember but are you using fitday to maybe help track your macronutrient levels? You may be getting more protein than you realize. Just a thought.

I did get my workout in yesterday. Elliptical intervals for 35 minutes followed with ~sigh~ only 20 minutes of lifting for chest, bi and some tri work. A quick 8 minutes of core work on the mats and ~sniff~ no time for stretching.

I had to rush through this to make the drive back to Dad's party in time. NSV Alert: A friend of mine walked into the locker room just as I was packing up my bag to head out and said I looked pretty. :yay: Totally made my day. :D By the look on her face I could tell she was really sincere about this compliment. ~keep in mind she is accustomed to seeing me drenched in sweat, no makeup to cover my acne prone blemished skin and wearing one of three workout togs~

I was thinking about this and why this was a big deal. My DH tells me often as well as my sister and mother that I look nice when I actually dress. But "You look nice" kind of pays the compliment to what I have on and not really the person who is in the clothes. But her compliment struck me even though I know it means the same thing because it was directed to me the person and not the outfit I had on. :dunno: Semantics perhaps but she really made me feel nice that afternoon.

Okay, about the carbfest, we arrived at the restaurant an hour before our reservations with two small children in tow. :dizzy:~dang~ could have gotten my lats and traps in too had I known this ahead of time. I'm probably the only person who has had that thought in that restaurant. :devil:

Anyway we were in our reserved room for three hours through the course of the meal. I had two small glasses of merlot, one really small dinner roll no butter, fourteen pieces of chilled shrimp, steamed broccoli, and a small piece of Dad's cake. Like really small. DH was the one who cut it just for me. ;) I wanted two more pieces and Dad was happy to serve it up but I backed off and called it a night. I'm calling it a success considering all of the options that sat on the tables around me. :^: Okay maybe I could have passed on the merlot but did I mention I was there for three hours. :devil:

Okay, I've posted enough and will be quiet now.

Have a great afternoon everyone.

sportmom
02-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Lydia, I've never met you and I think you're a pretty & beautiful person. Always a constant force on here who is supportive, kind in word, and never ever snippy or critical of what others may be trying. That's why you're missed so much when you're not around. :hug: Talk about valuing you for the person inside and not for what you're wearing!!!

And I know you weren't fishing for compliments, but rather demonstrating another endearing quality which is sharing your deep thoughts with us and yet somehow, making yourself completely open with us without worrying about sounding vulnerable. Yes, a confident caring woman is a beautiful thing!

Lifeguard
02-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Great work Lydia - sounds like your father's dinner was a success. Nothing wrong with enjoying some wine - I'm assuming this is a once in a long while thing so I hope you enjoyed it!

I'm off to the gym with dh now. A little sore in my bi's from upping the weight in my curl & press yesterday. Feels good to know I pushed a little. Today is bench which is my focus right now. There is a bench press competition close to here in about a month that I would like to enter. I wish it was deadlift as well as that is my strongest lift but oh well. I guess this is my opportunity to focus on my bench & try to get my numbers up on it.

Lydia227
02-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Fran: :o Thanks Fran. Really. :hug:

Lifeguard: The wine was an occasional treat for both me and the kids. Interpretation, I was a little less concerned about making them sit in their seats for the entire three hours. They pretty much had the run of the room but so did their cousins. ;)

JerseyGirl69
02-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Poppin' in to say hello. Not much time these days. My Challenge started Saturday. I was reassessed and in 6 months have gained 5" of flexibility, improved my blood pressure bottom number, and of course improved strength, weight, and muscle mass.

I'll say one thing, we did the caliper test this time, in addition to the machine they use and the caliper has me at a significantly lower bodyfat %. My trainer is inclined to believe the machine, but the caliper has me at 182lbs of lean mass and 110lbs of fat mass for a bodyfat of 37.6%. The machine has me at 46% and 140lbs of lean mass. What do y'all make of that? Still, good % given I started at 52% last year.

baffled111
02-03-2008, 06:52 PM
What kind of machine are we talking about, JerseyGirl? I've only ever had the caliper test. I figure it's the same as a scale: as long as I use the same test administered by the same person, I can track progress, even if the numbers themselves aren't absolute.

Still no gym for me today. I did trudge a couple of miles through snow though to run some errands. It almost counts as exercise. I'm planning to go the gym tomorrow after work to do some cardio. My back should be good by then.

nelie
02-03-2008, 07:18 PM
JG,
Although Mel and Meg probably know better, I've heard its really hard to test someone who is morbidly obese and get an accurate BF % using a caliper test. The hand held (and machines you step on) are notoriously inaccurate for measuring actualy BF % numbers but they are good for measuring changes in BF%.

Meg
02-03-2008, 07:37 PM
You're right, Nelie -- calipers just don't work on us when we're morbidly obese. There are some studies coming out that use a specially modified caliper to try to get a more accurate BF reading, but they're not available yet. JG, I agree that your best method now is to use bioelectrical impedance in order to track changes over time. It may not be entirely accurate but it will show your BF changes better than any other method short of a dunk tank.

Good luck with your challenge! :)

elisa822
02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
JG - I'm as confused as you regarding BF% tests. The only thing everyone agrees on is that the trend is more important than the absolute number. I was tested not too long ago with whatever it's called when they just point something at your arm (and input your height and weight into the computer as well). I think it calculated me at 35% BF or something like that. Given my height and weight and the fact that I work out regularly - both cardio and strength training - I was obviously disappointed. I'm trying to let that go though, trying to improve, and then hoping to go back in a few months and see a better number! I say pick whichever method you want and see how it changes...any way you look at it, you're moving in the right direction so good for you!

So, I made it (sort of) through my superbowl dinner! This year we went for meatball sandwiches. To lighten things up as best as I could, we used lean ground beef meatballs, natural tomato sauce and I had one slice of provolone cheese over two slices of bread. Not the best but certainly not the worst superbowl meal. Oh, of course that's not it. I forgot, I also had some rice crisps instead of chips.

Lydia - that was a great compliment you received. I can never imagine a time when something like that wouldn't make me feel great. Sometimes I think I look nice, sometimes not so nice but "pretty"? That's just a nice word to hear. :)

baff - hope your back is "back" ;) to normal tomorrow!

I really need a good workout tomorrow! I skipped Friday (due to weather and laziness and work stress) so I hope to get in a good one tomorrow.

JerseyGirl69
02-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Part of me would like to believe the calipers, but I'm 287. So, no way I'm 36% b/f. I think part of it is my muscularity, there's nothing to grab on my thigh--it's rock solid, as is my tricep, but there's an inch on my waist.

Well, their scale/pc thing and my scale are the same brand and come in at about the same numbers. And I track this in Fitday, and yes, the trend is downward, so that's good. In 6 months I lost 33lbs, 5pts bodyfat, improved my BMR by about 100 calories and a host of good things. Nothing to complain about.

Atkins has impressed me as I just started up on it again after 10 years. Now I'm well armed with recipes to keep things creative and avoid "stirfry burnout". I'm down 2 lbs in 2 days. I'd like to see 4 by Friday. That would make me 285 and my goal for Vday was 280.

Tried spinning today for the third time since I started at the gym. Found a instructor who really focuses on making you understand what you're doing and why. I'll do it again. Did abs afterward and the arc.

Boot camp at 6am tomorrow.

I did tell you I intend to win this Challenge, didn't I??? PM me if you want the link to the blog about the challenge.

WaterRat
02-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Lydia - I'd have given up the cake before the wine! :rofl: Sounds like you made excellent choices - you likely not even see a blip!

sportsfreak
02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Well im having a hard time finding a canadian site that sells designer whey cheap. All the sites that i have looked at only ship cheap to the united states, and charge an arm and a leg for shipping to canada.

ELISA- im glad to see that you have presisted with good eating habits during the superbowl party. I myself had some vegetarian sushi and an apple. An add came up during the commercials showing the superbowl parites. The restraunts wre packed with wings, chips, ribs and more wings. It is insane.

Today i just realized that i am moving backwards instead of forwards. During the hoildays and then exam week i was thrown off my exercise schedual. I am noticing the difference on my body- in a bad way.My stomach is growing:( and muscles are shrinking. I need to get my act back together.

Lifeguard
02-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Jerseygirl - it sounds like you're making some great improvements. You must feel so proud!

Sportsfreak - I don't know what you mean by cheap but here is the link for my gym back home: http://www.ultimatefitnessgyms.com/ultimate_fitness_store.html They have good quality products & ship to Canada as that is where they are located.

Today my dh & I went to the gym together. It's kind of nice to finally have him on board with working out. He has such potential physically but he always seems to lack in motivation. This was the first time he was the one initiating going to the gym - a nice change I must say.

I didn't have a great workout today though. I got myself some nice big blisters from not wearing socks on Friday (forgot them) & wearing my shoes is miserable. But I did get a workout in & even moved my weight up on a couple of exercises so that is always nice.

Mel
02-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Good morning :sunny: <------NOT!

Cardio done, and I'll be at the gym at lunch time. My house guests are just packing up.

I still feel a bit queasy, but...oh well.

Lydia, good job at the carb fest. I agree with Pat. My weekend food didn't go so well- I need to really clean up the weekends.

Back tonight-

Mel

Eves
02-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Good morning everyone!

I am feeling like crap. Probably because of the carb/booze fest that was this weekend. Bacholerettes parties, sheesh! My body totally decided to freak out, so this morning I have a sinus cold, pink eye, and a queasy stomach.

ew.

I did get up to run, and somehow I was able to run 2 miles on the treadmill so that was exciting. It was much longer than I intended, so I'll do some arms upper back this evening. Exciting news is that I am joining a gym. It's only $20 a month and has a full complement for free weights. It has kettlebells, step up benches, and best of all, very few undergrads. I can't wait!

nelie - My family is in California, I now work in the Chicago area, my husband is in Peru, and I had a conference in Spain. If you can imagine, I was in all of those places in January.

WaterRat
02-04-2008, 02:26 PM
:wave: Good morning. It was -20F when I got up. Brrrrr. :sunny: is in the forecast however. If it only had some warmth associated with it!

Mondays are my worst day at work. There is a director's meeting EVERY Monday from 10-noonish; then I have another meeting at 2,for which I still need to finsih reading a 10 page report. Bleck. I'll be back sometime later. So looking forward to stress-relieving cardio after work.

kaw
02-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Afternoon, LWL. Too many posts to catch up, but just wanted to brag about a new PR on (flat) bench: 130! For 7 reps, even. Just 5 more pounds and I'll be benching reps with the big girl plates, which coincidentally is also body weight.

I chalk it up to the recent addition of YTWL to my routine. (Search on you-tube for description/demos.) Or, as I like to call them, ego-thrashers.

Work hectic, duty calls. Toodles.

Kim

PS: sportsfreak: can't help you on the whey in Canada problem, but I see Lifeguard already did. As for your other questions, I think most are addressed -- probably with whey (ha ha) TMI -- here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1927012&postcount=59

4rabbit
02-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi LWL,

I did workout 1a of nrwl today. WOWWWWW! My legs are trembling, I'm sweating and I guess I'm getting very sore as I type. Now to keep this up for the entire programme...and I'll lift like a godess!!!

for the rest an uninspiring weekend food was bad, exercise non existent. i have to get back in track, still have not lost my christmas pounds yet. But I'm pluggin on.

Have a reat day all,
Rabbit

Lifeguard
02-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Major headache today but I got 45 minutes of cardio in anyway. 20 on the bike & 25 on the treadmill.

Lydia227
02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Kim: Great job with your new PR. :high:
Rabbit: Nice to see you.

I'm getting sick with a cold/fever. First of the season. Took DSs to school and went back to bed. I am sooo grateful to be able to do that today. I hope to be back on my feet tomorrow. I've got commitments the rest of the week.

OMG. I almost forgot. I did stop to pick up some protein powder this morning. The guy at the register asked if there was an athlete in the family while scanning the giant vat of powdered whey. I said, "Yeah, actually, it's for me." :chin: "What do you do...." :s: I told him that I lift and he says "That's great, my mom does that a little too. It's really good for preventing osteoporosis.":rolleyes: :rofl: I lift for a lot of reasons but that's not the first one that comes to my mind. :cool:

I really hate buying this stuff in retail. It's time to have it delivered undercover to my back door. :D

sportmom
02-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Lydia, buy it at Wal-Mart with all your other regular household items. They don't give a fart about what you buy there! LOL

mkat321
02-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi all. :) Did my first workout tonight. Mostly triceps, biceps, gastroc/soleus, some lats and abs but the better portion of the ab work in the Clean Diet workout book requires a gym membership or a ton of money for machines :(. I need to find more free weight ab work, back work, etc.

kaw
02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Lydia -- that's a great story. I know retailers are just trying to be friendly, break up the monotony of their days, etc., but I really don't like to have conversations about the personal products I'm buying. (I still remember the first time I had to buy tampons for myself, from a male check-out clerk no less. I almost died from the sheer mortification of it all. Of course, I was a teenager, a condition characterized by a tendency to "almost die" from damn near anything.)

I have to admit that preventing osteoporosis is probably among the top 3 reasons I lift. If you saw the women in my family, you'd understand!

On that note, off I got to the gym. Have a great day, all!

Kim

Mel
02-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Lydia- order online. I buy from vitaglo. netrition, amazon. No comments ;)

Didn't get up for cardio this morning because I didn't sleep- on the other hand, I might as well have since I just looked at the clock every 5 minutes! :mad:

I may combine cardio with a full body workout at lunch- but work is overwhelming again...still....

Have a good one,

Mel

nelie
02-05-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm a bit sore this morning.

Last night I did a workout with my new 25 and 35 lb kettlebells. I forgot that DH gets nervous when I use hefty weights. I was doing half snatches (don't know what else to call them but you bring the kettlebell close to your body at shoulder height) with the 35 lb kettlebell and DH thought I was going to hurt myself somehow :) I'm sore today. Tonight I'll probably do a kettlebell DVD. I tend to alternate between freestyle and my DVDs.

Hope everyone has a good day.

mkat321
02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
holy carp my biceps & triceps are sore. my lower back tried to make me pay for working out last night but I rubbed some sweet orange oil lotion on it and it 'shut up and left me alone'

I'm going to do a TransFIRMation video later, focused on abs & lower body.

baffled111
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

I finally made it to the gym for a workout today. Hooray!! I took an ibuprofen before I went and I took it pretty easy while I was there, but it felt damn good to be making my body work. :) My back is feeling a bit achey now, but, to **** with it, I feel good!

Lydia227
02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
My back is feeling a bit achey now, but, to **** with it, I feel good!
Yep, that would be the endorphins speaking. Is the back getting a little better than last week?

No workout again today. Still sick. I'm taking a lot of coldeeze and staying indoors on this rainy day.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

JerseyGirl69
02-05-2008, 07:31 PM
So, today was the first real group training session for my challenge. It was nice to have the camaraderie, but I will miss the one on one.

The session also left me a little emotional (or is it PMS?).

My trainer months ago opened my eyes to how hard I am on myself. And that's like a virus and I feel it coming on right now. Why am I so competitive? Why do I think I have to be the best at what I do? Clearly I can't be best at all things. I accept that usually, such as God didn't bless me with dancing skills...I can swim to save my life, but don't take to it naturally, etc.

Well, today was a circuit of sprints, plyometrics and core work. During sprints, while I was moving at my fastest (I watched my form and was really taking to what I had learned about how to move faster), still two newbies moved slightly faster. I am reasoning with myself that one is 180lbs and the other 211 and that's a lot less than me. Of course an extra 70-100lbs will make me slower. I wasn't terribly slow, I was actually fast, just...well, you know, wanted to smoke 'em and I didn't. And I tired out sooner.

I'll use it as motivation, but it made me want to cry. I gave 110%, that's all I can ask of myself. I did smoke 'em with legs, steps, and abs (I've got 6 months of training over them, so I know the movements and my body)...I just want more out of myself.

In the long run, I really want to win and am trying not to allow myself to be too hopeful as I don't want to be sorely disappointed. I'm doing what I can. Atkins is moving the scale again, I'm working out hard. I can only control my choices and behavior and let my body do what it's going to do....

My hope? In two months I hope to lose 20-30 lbs and I hope that's enough bodyfat% to win.

Silver lining? Gotta look for that ..well, my visceral fat detailed on my scale report has dropped from 18 to 14 as of today, I am down 3lbs since Saturday, I had great form, moved fast as I could, persevered....

Mel
02-06-2008, 08:31 AM
baf- glad your back is a bit better! Take it easy and be careful, tho. I've found that once I severely injure a part, it is more prone to re-injury with little provocation.

JG- Stop being so competitive with others and compete with yourself (said the kettle, calling the b pot black!) Good luck :)

Cardio done- this morning I really could have slept! My legs are pleasantly sore from yesterday's workout and shoulders are on tap today.

Dh is leaving for a week away, and I'm trying to not fall into the pattern of lonely-tired-angry eating. A friend who is a recovered alcoholic talked to me about AA's "HALT": hungry-angry-lonely-tired as a trigger for drinking. Not much different from food!

Mel

Lifeguard
02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Jerseygirl - I think a little competitiveness is a good thing. I'm much more likely to really push myself if I think anyone is watching. The fact that you are aware of what is happening I think will help you not take it too far.

Mel - I've heard of the halt as well & have found it useful. It's amazing how often we want to eat just for those reasons.

I took yesterday off but today I'm back in the gym after my spanish lesson. I'm sooooo tired today but maybe I'll have a nap afterwards - lol. I need to figure out a better plan for sleeping at night - I'm not sleeping very deep.

sportmom
02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Man, I think HALT is the story of my life - can we add an R in there for resentment anywhere? DH goes to work by 5:30 every morning and comes home around 7. So I do the morning and afternoon & dinner routines solo. Get the fed & out the door, dinnered, and homeworked. In addition to MY ft job. That is totally my recipe - halt. I got a little better about a year ago and just said, take him out of the picture, don't rely & thus don't be disappointed. "Pretend" as if you were alone doing all this, and it made it better. If I only relied on myself, I was never disappointed. Maybe that will help some of us. Sorry for turning this into a counseling session.

WaterRat
02-06-2008, 03:25 PM
No need to apologize Fran. I totally hear you! And I don't have kids to factor into the equation. :) Removing the expectation, and thus avoiding the disappointment, really does help. Once your kids are older, things may get better.

Tonight is a NRLW workout, and abbreviated cardio. It's still really cold here, it was -18F at our house. We are at least out of the wind. Other places around here are having high winds, giving them -25F to -35F wind chills.

sportsfreak
02-06-2008, 03:34 PM
:carrot:Well there was another snow day for me today. Man what are the chances of 2 snowdays in 5 days. The last time our school closed for a snowday was 6 years ago:D.

Well i have decided just to buy the whey protien from GNC. I'm going to purchase their 10 dollar gold member card which will give me 20% off on all prices. I'm heading over to pick up the protien. However i am debating between 2 types. the first one is obviously designer whey and the second is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Double Rich. The ON 100% seems better in terms of protien by serving and it is cheaper. But the designer whey has more vitamins in it. I am not to tied down by price, i just want to buy a good protien powder that will not make me retain water.

nelie
02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Fran, I hear you...

I wake up earlier than DH, he is usually barely waking up when I leave. I have already been up for 2 hours walking the dog, making breakfast (and smoothies to go) for the day.

I get home and I'm alone for 2-3 hours (sometimes more). I usually do some chores, prepare dinner, etc. DH has been working 60-80 hour weeks for the past month so it is really crazy. So I eat out of boredom. Just me and the jar of peanut butter... or whatever else. I will usually try to exercise as well but I usually like to exercise after dinner and that doesn't happen. If I want to eat with him, I may need to eat at 9pm or so. And that is if he is home by that time. Oh well. It is sucky :)

elisa822
02-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I like these counselling sessions and could use some myself but the strange thing is, I'm the opposite regarding DH. He was away a lot in January and I actually was able to use this time to lose some weight. I think for me it's that I'm easily influenced and he's a bigger guy and likes to eat. I'm more of a natural grazer but I can't do that when he's around because it throws off all of our meals. It's tough to explain, it's weird, but I guess what I'm saying is that while my problems are different, I still hear what you're all saying. :hug: to everyone!

I've had a crappy week. :( Nothing horrible just a very busy work time, too much snow and missed gym sessions. I managed to get in a NRFL workout Monday and yoga yesterday but today I had a doctor's appointment and then had to miss my favourite gym class for the weather. I could have gone after work but I was trying to be a "grownup". The weather sucks, was getting worse and I thought I should be smart and go home. Tomorrow, another doctor's appointment and another missed gym session.

Finally, to continue the stress, I made the mistake of inviting my family over for dinner Friday during this crazy week. I should have known better. And all weekend I have a "school" session (I'm getting an accounting designation, long story, more stress).

So, to finish my therapy, if I can just make it to Monday I'll be good. Then, if I make it to next Thursday, I'm in Nassau and therefore great! ;)

Anyone want to tell me it was okay to skip the gym in a snowstorm? yes, I need other people to reassure me (more therapy anyone?)

baffled111
02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
It's okay to skip the gym in a snowstorm. Also a tornado, flood, hurricane, deathly illness, a nasty cold are all excellent excuses for skipping the gym. :)

Mel
02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Snow days in Toronto???? Is the lake effect turned upside down and you are getting Buffalo weather? I don't remember the city shutting down ever for snow in the years I lived there. Must be a wicked storm! Elisa, if schools were closed due to the snow, you can certainly skip going to the gym. Get out there and shovel :D Hang in there til next week- you can do it! Every time the "I can't take any more of this" feeling hits, close your eyes, think of the beach and palm trees and take five deep breaths of the ocean breeze. :dizzy:

Fran- I think the R is the anger. I've really tried to let go of that over the years...it is a counter-productive emotion...but it's hard. Really hard. sometimes when I feel it creeping up I have to consciously stop and think of my "gratitudes". There are some days I have to dig really deep to do this, but it does help me.

I just got home from taking dh to the airport. He's going to England to visit a cousin who is dying of (initially) colon cancer, so while I know I'm going to be fighting at least ALT, he really should be going. Except for a brother outside of Toronto, all his family is in England. on another note- please if you are over 50 or have a family history, go get a colonoscopy! This is a diease that shouldn't kill anyone :(

This post is getting more morose by the word!

I had a great shoulder workout today and ended with alternating db presses while balancing my butt on the domed side of a bosu with my feet up off the floor in a V position. I used about half the weight I normally use. This involves MAJOR ab work. The grande finale on rep 10 was my legs flying over my head as I toppled backwards off the bosu :o All I could do was laugh as about 15 people gawked at me. Good thing I'm not shy :p

Have a good one-
Mel

Lifeguard
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Mel - I would react exactly the same way. I think I used to drive my personal trainer a little crazy somedays when I would just laugh & laugh when I screwed up.

Snow in Toronto - did they have to call in the military again? I'm from Ottawa area & it was a running joke for a few years in Ottawa after Toronto had to call in the military after a snowstorm. Don't remember when that was.

I went to the gym today but didn't have a great workout. I started with deadlifts which went ok but then my energy just dived & I was sweating a ridiculous amount for the effort I was putting in. I ended up stopping things early & going home. I ended up crashing & sleeping for a few hours. I really gotta get this sleep thing sorted out.

WaterRat
02-07-2008, 02:26 AM
:wave: Here I am at 9:15 at night holed up in my little basement office. Even the cats have deserted me after umpteen times of being thrown off the keyboard (okay, politely removed :lol: )

I did a Stage 1A workout tonight after about 10 min warmup on the bike. It went well, and I increased weights on several exercises. This of course was after I sat through a 2 hour teleconference and 2 hours later a 2.5 hour meeting :faint: I ended up working til 6, and as Elisa says "being a grownup" I turned my car towards the gym and not home. :) And wow, there at the gym was DH! Nice surprise. He was just finishing up some cardio, after having a skating class. I need to get the man back into WL however..... So I did my thing and got home about 7:45, nuked leftovers - but very nice ones, salmon, ww pasta, braised kale - and declared I was done with anything resembling work!! Now of course, I'm really here to finalize some plane tickets..... And we filled out all our health and emergency contact, etc. stuff for our April trip.

Oh, and good news. Our former favorite housesitter Hope got married about 18 months ago and stopped housesitting. Her twin sister works at the gym, and I learned that Hope is separated from her DH (that's not the good news) and is living with not only her twin (who's DH is in the service in the mid-east) but they are both living with their older sister and her DH. So I sent Hope a note asking if she'd be interested in housesitting while we're in AZ. It'd be super - a known quantity! :crossed:

nelie
02-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Morning all,

I did a good kettlebell workout last night, many of the exercises went to failure and I was all wobbly afterwards. This morning, my legs are definitely sore. The good news is that the scale has started to move! The scale that has been about 10 lbs above my low weight for the past month decided to move this morning so it is a good day :)

Pat - did you figure out where you are stopping before your grand canyon trip? I have a trip in April myself, to San Diego to visit the family.

Eves
02-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Good morning everyone!

I'm happy to report that I needed a defibrillator to get my butt and hamstrings moving today. I'm thinking about getting those hemorrhoid pillows because my butt hurts so much. Squats, lunges, deadlifts, and step ups yesterday.

I've a bit disappointed because I've had to bring everything about 30 pounds down for legs and basically start all over for arms from where I was last year, but I have lost lean body mass and I need to get back in gear to save it. I think I over did it a bit yesterday, it didn't hurt at the time but this morning I am SORE. So I'm going to give my booty lots of protein, creatine, and rest.

I may do some arms and shoulders today, but it depends on whether I can actually walk to the car. Ooooh.

nelie - congrats on the scale moving. I'm sort of in the same place, yesterday I weighed in at 174 down from a high of 179 so I feel like I'm finally back to being able to lose weight.

Mel - It's very true about the colonoscopy. We blackmailed my Mom into getting one and she had polyps. Now she goes around telling everyone to get them because "it's like a Discovery special of your intestines".

On HALT - I fall for this every time. Right now not as much since DH is in another continent but when we were living together it was awful. I'd leave the house at 6:30 and be back by 4:30. He'd stroll out at 8 and back in at 6:30-7. My wake up call to this was when I had called him tell him that if he was going to be late, to call because I had supper ready (and half of it in my belly). I honestly have no clue how to fix this :(

Meg
02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
No kidding on the colonoscopies. A 52-year old friend of ours had her first one done recently and found out that she has Stage 2 colon cancer. Not good news, of course, but at least she caught it now and not in five years when it had spread everywhere. She had absolutely no symptoms. I had my first one done last year and it really wasn't that bad. Much better than the alternative!

Beachboundagain
02-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm new - trying to get my weight down with fibro in my way but am struggling on anyway - i'm going to buy that book about lifting for women? anyway, looks like a good one - might as well give it a shot

Where do you get the scale graphic?

baffled111
02-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Welcome Beachbound! I'm loving the NROLW program. It's sick and torturous and fun. (Now I sound like Mel!). By 'scale graphic' do you mean the ticker? You can add one through the signature portion of the control panel, but I believe that the powers-that-be have instituted a minimum-post requirement for signatures. You'll have to get to posting!

Nelie, I just noticed your ticker--only 3lb to onederland! Congrats!

I just got back from the gym where I did workout A of stage 2. It's really a killer. I'm practically unconscious by the time I get to the plank part. I had planned to do HIIT afterwards, but couldn't muster the energy. Today I increased the weights on the one-legged DB row and fell over about 100 times. But an older gent at the gym was fascinated by the exercise. :lol: He was concerned that my leg (sticking out behind me in the air) weighs less than the dbs I was holding and that decent balance was out of the question. Tee hee.

Yuck on the colonoscopies. Something else fun to look forward to.

Happy workouts, ladies. :lifter:

dixied
02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
delurking for a quick question....

Is the NRLW program okay for a beginner? I've lifted exactly once (last night).

dixied
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
delurking for a quick question....

Is the NRLW program okay for a beginner? I've lifted exactly once (last night).

Nevemind, Barnes and Noble emailed me a coupon this morning, so I went and got the book at lunch. :carrot:

sportmom
02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey Dixie!!!! Welcome!!! So glad you jumped over here. I think NRLW would be fine for a beginner and a great resource for you to get started the right way. THere are many others out there as well, so feel free to run any titles by us that you want to.

WaterRat
02-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Ditto on the colonoscopies! I've had 2 and both times had polyps removed. Soooo much nicer than finding worse problems later! Same with mammograms. Being proactive is much easier in the long run! :D

Welcome Dixie! I think NRLW is good. It shows all the exercises really well, and you can start with whatever weight is good for you and make good progress. It also suggests modifications or alternative exercises for some things. I'm trying to get my DH to try the men's version. He doesn't really like WL - but I'm working on him. He is in remission from a cancer that depleted the calcium in his bones and left him with ostopenia, and while he has built up his bone density, I'm sure that WL would increase it more. He does plenty of cardio, and like many active guys is quite naturally pretty strong - way more than me anyway. :lol:

Lifeguard
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Archy - you must be a glutton for punishment: squats, lunges, deadlifts & step-ups all on the same workout!!! No wonder you are sore.

I am reading the NRFLW & finding it very informative. I must admit I'm not yet at the actual workout just the info beforehand. My DH is interested in it too & I think he is going to read it after me - lol.

nelie
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Baffled, my ticker is from my low weight... (10 lbs ago). I will get there again.

Mel
02-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Archy- That's my kind of workout so I sure know that kind of sore :) do you find the creatine helpful? I always avoided it after seeing two women who had horrible water retention problems while using it. Have you tried using L-glutamine? It helps with cell repair and also seems to help with bronchial immunity.

Anyone else use creatine or glutamine?

baffled- Your back must be much better if you are doing one legged db rows. My turn, tomorrow. Try doing them on the flat side of a bosu- gives you a bonus hamstring, ab and calf workout :crazy:

Welcome Dixie and Beachbound again! Beach, I also have fibro and feel MUCH better when lifting regularly and eating clean. Now if I can just remember that when I open the refrigerator ;)

I did a whole session of planks, wood chops, incline crunches,more planks. different more planks, reverse planks, and 1 set of clean and presses. Planks on balls, plank on ball and bosu, planks on ball and bench...one foot, two feet...and the famous OOPS! no feet. My abs are already sore.

Mel

baffled111
02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
baffled- Your back must be much better if you are doing one legged db rows. My turn, tomorrow. Try doing them on the flat side of a bosu- gives you a bonus hamstring, ab and calf workout :crazy:

I did a whole session of planks, wood chops, incline crunches,more planks. different more planks, reverse planks, and 1 set of clean and presses. Planks on balls, plank on ball and bosu, planks on ball and bench...one foot, two feet...and the famous OOPS! no feet. My abs are already sore.

Mel, you really are a masochist! One legged db rows on a bosu? I don't think I'll ever have that kind of balance! I might be able to pull off one or two reps with really light weights, but I can barely pull off the set on the floor! But yeah, my back is much, much better. Good as new, really. :carrot:

Also, that plank session sounds dreadful. Those things (just the plain old version for 60 seconds) completely wipe me out!

I think I've contracted a new deadly disease this week. I don't know what the official medical name for it is, but the street name is Out of Control All-Consuming Ravenous Hunger. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm STARVING. Constantly. No matter how much or how often I eat. I'm eating maintenance calories (though not logging my exercise) and I am bewildered at how I can possibly be so damn hungry eating 2200 well-spent calories a day! (Well, about 250 of those will be for wine, but everything else is very sensible. My macros are even spot on today (40/30/30). I'm hoping this disease is temporary. I can't bear it.

Meg
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Could you be ... pregnant? :sssh:

elisa822
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Okay, while we're on the topic of colonoscopies, they are really not that bad. I wouldn't even blink if I needed another one, it was that simple. I had one fairly young due to other health issues that leaned toward colitis so I got checked out. Having the right doctor makes all the difference in the world. And I wanted to take the anastheseologist home with me, he was that good! ;) I was up and out of there within an hour and felt fine. Stopped at Starbucks on the way home even. :) If anyone in Toronto needs one done, I'll point you in the right direction.

The snow finally stopped here. Yes, they did call in the army once. I think that was 1999 and I definitely remember that. It has been a weird winter and I don't remember so many heavy snow falls. At least it was sunny today.

I'm still loving the NROL but I haven't put quite enough time into yet either. I'm still on stage 1 workouts and they're not easy. Fairly quick but I prefer to think of them as effective and a good use of time. Great compound exercises. Based on what baffled says, I can't wait until Stage 2.

nelie
02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Mel,

I fear your planks.... I should do some though. Last time I did, I was sore for a week.

baffled111
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Could you be ... pregnant? :sssh:

Good lord, I hope not! Before I was just hungry. Now I'm hungry and panicked!

But no, there's almost zero chance that I'm pregnant. (Thank god.)

Mel
02-07-2008, 11:01 PM
:rofl: That was the first thought that went through my mind, too, baffled :o On the other hand, I'm ravenously hungry most of the time and pregnancy would be a medical miracle (or disaster) in my case. Could it be those new workouts?

Mel

dixied
02-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Oh geez....I'm to the point in NRLW where he's telling me I'm doing too much cardio and not enough eating. I'm currently doing at least 60 minutes of cardio 5x a week and eating 600 calories less than the minimum he's advising. Did anyone else start from here?

I feel like I need to be retconned (sorry, geeky Torchwood reference), to wipe my mind clean of everything I know and start all over again. I'm determined to do this though, so if I slip back into old ways I need ya'll to kick me.

nelie
02-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Last night I did a good kettlebell workout. I'm getting so much better at squats! Of course I was majorly sore this morning.

I'm a dork though, went for a walk this morning with my pup and I tripped on an uneven sidewalk. I wasn't able to recover so I fell hard on my right knee (my 'good' knee). My knee was scraped up through my pants and my knee feels stiff. Luckily, I fell near the end of my walk so was only 20 feet from home. My pup gave me lots of kisses while I was on the ground :) So yeah I'm getting better at squats but today I can barely bend one of my knees.

So probably no kettlebells tonight (there are very few exercises that don't require squatting) but maybe some upper body weights.

baffled111
02-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Dixie, there has been quite a lot of discussion about the nutrition section on the NRLW message board. It might be worth a read. There's also, somewhere, a podcast by the authors during which they talk at length about the nutrition program.

http://forums.jpfitness.com/new-rules-lifting-women/

Lifeguard
02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the link Baffled - Dixie - I am having the same thoughts right now!

Nelie - did you tear your pants? It sounds like a few people around here are feeling a little less elegant lately. Hope it heals up quickly!

I'm in the process of regrouping my nutrition efforts. I have been following the Precision Nutrition plan but have not been so on plan the last few weeks. The NRLW is very similar so I'm finding it inspiring.

4rabbit
02-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi LWL,

About feeling ravenous hungry...same here, I'm definitely not pregnant so i guess it must be the NRWL workouts . !

I did the first week of stage 1 this week, and did yoga, 1 powerclass and 1 hour cardio today so I made it to my weekly goal of 5 hrs exercise!

Yay & cheers for myself,
Have a great week all,
Rabbit

Mel
02-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Good morning! It's a balmy 9 degrees out there. I dashed out to get the paper when I got off the elliptical and came back in with ice in my hair. One of my friends at work runs every morning at 4:30 am :eed: and I really wonder if she did it this morning. That takes far more dedication and masochism than I can muster.

Had a great leg workout on Saturday and am still quite sore. We got a new slide board at the gym and I "played" on that for 10 minutes before my workout parnter arrived. OUCH!!!! my adductors are gruesomely sore!

Do you all want to EAT EAT EAT when you are really sore? I was not starving, but obsessed by food this weekend. I stayed busy (shopped with a friend, painted the basement, went to the library with ds), but still just wanted more and more. Oh well, if I analyzed it all instead of just dealing with it, I'd still be 70 pounds heavier :p

Stay warm!

Mel

sportmom
02-11-2008, 09:10 AM
We are a balmy 12 here and it's a miracle we didn't get blown off our basement yesterday and last nite with 45 mph wind gusts. Makes it hard to sleep when the house is shaking.

It's too cold to get out of bed much less run outside - yikes!! You'll have to let us know if she did it. I would think her nostril edges would freeze up too, like your hair did.

Lydia227
02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
We've got 6 degrees here. :coolsnow: Just too cold. I'm finally getting over the strep infection I developed last Monday but still feeling tired. I think it may be Wednesday before I get my next workout in.

This morning I have a two hour drive back to my Dad's home in this frigid weather. My grandfather passed away Friday afternoon. To add to the "excitement" we are under a severe winter storm warning that spans the entire length of my drive. 6 to 9 inches of snow. :yikes: This takes effect this evening. My plan is to be back in Columbus by 6:00pm this afternoon.

Is it Spring Yet?! :tantrum:

Meg
02-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Lydia, I'm so sorry about your grandfather. :hug: Please drive very carefully ... we need you back in one piece!

dixied
02-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Will ya'll ban me from the board if I tell you that I laid around in the hammock re-reading NRLW all weekend and now I've got some great tanlines? ;) It's been 75-ish all weekend here in Pensacola and I made the most of the nice weather.

Lydia - Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I've got family up that way, so I know how bad the winter driving can be, please be careful.

kaw
02-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Snow in Ohio. Snow in Toronto. Here in Between Land, we're laboring under ... a dusting. It's hardly been a winter worth calling a winter. Yet: there's still March, and we always seem to get a doozy, right around the time the rest of the country is counting daffodils.

Back from the gym. Trying to get (re)motivated. The carrots I brought in for an afternoon snack are gone. Not much else to report. Ho hum.

Kim

Eves
02-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

It was a sunny and cheerful 5 degrees here when I went to my first session with my trainer.

Yes, after icing my BUTT, trying to give it tender love and care, I decided that instead of giving myself those nice leather boots for my birthday I'll give myself 4 sessions with a trainer so that I can get my freaking act together and not decide suddenly to train my butt into almost gelatinous submission.

Today was the first time I had a great meeting with a trainer. She's not only going to give me some great free weight work outs but she even thought of those times when I'm going to be in the field. She told me to get a pedometer and is going to give me a resistance band work out. Our first real work out session will be this wednesday, and I can't wait.

My resting heart rate was 58! I am 36% of fat :( She's figuring out my vo max, and I will see everything this Wednesday.

Is it sad that I am more excited about this than about the boots?

Mel - I'm a glutamine kind of person. I did hear about creatine and water retention and since a pinch of salt makes me keep 5 pounds of water, I stay away from it.

And yes, I did want to eat everything in sight. To make matters worse, my birthday was this Saturday and I basically chugged many margaritas and Mexican food. I can only be glad that this week I kept my calories between 1300-1400 in anticipation, but we'll see on Wednesday when I figure all of the extra water is out of me.

I have learned that I cannot control myself around guacamole.

Lydia - Sorry about your loss, drive carefully.

Lifeguard
02-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Archy - what a fantastic birthday gift!!! Going to see a personal trainer was truly the BEST thing I ever did for myself.

I'm loving NRLW! I really like the detail in which he explains the processes in our body. As a result I have decided to put together a set of cue cards for myself for my most frequent slip-ups (like not wanting to eat immediately after working out - just not really hungry). On one side I'm going to write the slip-up & on the other I'm going to write what this is actually achieving. When I feel like doing the slip-up I will just read the card & I think it will help remind me it's not worth doing (or not doing as the case may be). I'll let you know how it works for me.

Mel
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Is it sad that I am more excited about this than about the boots?

Nope! Unless you are walking around barefoot in that icy weather! Happy Birthday :balloons:

Lydia, hopefully you are now safely back in frigid Columbus. I'm sorry for your loss. Stay warm and get better :hug:

It was so cold today at work that I wore my long wool coat until noon when I went to the gym. And my friend did NOT run- she says she won't go out if it's less that 15 degrees :crazy:

Mel

srmb60
02-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Lurking cuz I hardly remember where my weights are .... must ... try ... harder ...

WaterRat
02-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Well, Mel, it actually got up to 15 here today! First time in over 2 weeks. It's about 10 now, at 9:30 pm. It feels sooo much warmer than 20 below. :lol:

I had a good cardio session tonight. Back to NRLW tomorrow.

Lifeguard
02-12-2008, 11:58 PM
I haven't been spending as much time in the gym for the last week as I should & today when I checked in on my gym's (from home) message board on my training log my friend & trainer had written "Stop your slacking! Don't forget about our deal!"

Wow - feel like I've received a well deserved slap. I really need to step it up again.

mkat321
02-13-2008, 12:26 AM
in the middle of my first workout post-flu and wow my arms are already sore after 2 exercises. This does not bode well. Oh well, must push through and keep working at it.

Mel
02-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Good morning! Major ice.sleet/rain and snowstorm here. I'm listening to traffic reports and it sound like one big accident out there across the eastern PA, Delaware and New Jersey area. Good thing my commute is about 4 miles.

Yesterday I did shoulders instead of my usual "wacky Tuesday". I can't go to the gym today because I have a mammogram and dexa scan, so my lifting week is compressed. Shoulders after a heavy chest workout on Monday was hard. I felt like a total wimp!

Dh is home- his plane landed just before the storm hit yesterday....whew!

OK, off to inspect the ice on my car.

Have a good one!

Mel

elisa822
02-13-2008, 08:35 AM
I only have time for a quick hello. Last week was crazy busy but tomorrow morning I'm off to Nassau for five days with a couple of girlfriends!! :woohoo: This weather is starting to get to me so I'm looking forward to some warmth (definitely) and some sunshine (I hope). Given how busy I've been, the workouts have been lacking a bit but I've managed to squeeze in a few. The food, though, has been okay and I'm at a good weight but afraid of the effects of the "all inclusive"! I'm hoping for my power class after work today, then it's off for a nice dinner with DH, since I'm abandoning him on Valentine' Day! ;)

I've packed a lot of workout clothes and would really like to think that they'll get some use while we're there. I don't want the only exercise to be back and forth to the bar or buffet. :D

Hi to everyone and, by the way, is it spring yet?

JerseyGirl69
02-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Like Mel, messy weather. Still, I had to drive iceslicked roads to go to the doc and get blood drawn. Timed it to my 1 day of rest a week, but have to admit HATE taking a day off. I'm feeling fine, so tempted to work out. But after last time nearly fainting, well, I just have to sit on my hands and hold out til tomorrow.

I'm down to 282. I had a goal of 280 by 2/14, which I will just miss, but at least I've found what works for me. Next goal will be 270 by mid-March. When that happens I will be at my college weight senior year (1991).

nelie
02-13-2008, 02:18 PM
I've been hit by something, seems to be very fluish. I'm laying low. Weather is crappy, I feel crappy, blah blah blah.

Lydia227
02-13-2008, 02:51 PM
That was really some kind of storm wasn't it?! The storm hit us first Mel. Fortunately, I made it home about hour before it started to hit.

Nelie, I think my post is going to be a lot like yours. Blah...has anyone else had strep as an adult? Silly question but really, after the antibiotic treatment the sore throat is gone but I am so dizzy that it wears me out to walk across the room. Not kidding. If this doesn't lift by the end of the week I'm really going to freak out and see my doc again. I hate this sick thing. I cant even remember my last workout. GRRRRRRRR.

Elisa: Have a great time on your trip. I'm sure that you will find a place to get a good workout in. If not you'll be so rested and relaxed when you get back that you'll be ready for a great workout week when you return.

JG: Congratulations on your loss. It looks like you are doing a fantastic job in the challenge even with all that has been going on. Good for you. :high:

sportmom
02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi Lydia, I had strep in december and found myself posting the same ? on my parenting board. I kept hearing I'd feel better after day 5 on the antibiotic but convinced myself i'd need another round of something else bc I just still could not get out of the bed. You know, one of those where you keep making promises about "how it's gonna be" as soon as you can get back to working out again? lol I did finally get out of bed by about day 7-8. You're right tho - the throat pain goes by pill #3, but the weakness hangs on for what seems like forever. Feel better. I hope I've relieved you some.

Lydia227
02-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh Fran you really have. THANK YOU! I was really concerned that there was something seriously wrong with me. Ok. I'll just be patient and hang out in my room a little longer.

You are right about all of those "As soon as I feel better I'll..." promises. I don't know why I give myself permission to eat poorly when I'm not working out but for some reason I really do. It's catching up with me too. Not much of a weight gain but there is some muscle loss. It's time for some warm weather NOW!

Okay, time to take another nap. :rofl:

WaterRat
02-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Lydia and Fran - I've had strep as an adult several times (and I don't even have kids to blame it on!) and it truly does lay you out cold. Sooooo tired.

Mel - have fun with your scans! I had both the end of last month, and silly people, they said I was normal. :rofl: What do they know? I was happy about the dexa though as both my mom and grandmother (and MIL) were humpbacked little old ladies, and I'm determined not to be!

Did NRLW Stage 1B excercises last night, increasing the weight on everything - including overhead presses woo-woo! Those are hard for me. I have one more session of each of the A and B exercises, which I plan to do on Thurs and Sat, and then move on to stage 2 next week. :) I took my DH the original NRL but so far he hasn't opened it......

4rabbit
02-14-2008, 05:48 AM
Hi LWL,

Huge NSV for me ... Instead of obsessing with guilt that I did no do NRWL 1a yesterday, as planned, I went and did it this morning before I showered and it was totally doable to fit it into my morning scedule!

AND... I was able to do 2 sets of 10 real pushups (so not the girlie pushups on my knees) !!!

Pat - great to hear you are on NRWL too.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Mel
02-14-2008, 08:25 AM
:bravo: Rabbit!

Pat, My mother and grandmother also have/had extreme osteoporosis, so I was relieved at my first scan 3 years ago to be told that I had bones of concrete. Hope they stay that way!. My mother was part of the original clinical trial of fosomax. She and I don't look like we share any genetic material, tho. Having been overweight does have some advantages....not many, but some. She's looked like a bird all her life.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Back workout for me. Salmon for dinner. I gave hubby STRICT instructions :no chocolate and no overpriced roses! A card will be fine.

I bought my own Valentine's gift to me yesterday: a pair of skis! I haven't owned skis in 29 years. I'm so excited :D The model is called "Burnin Luv"- I'm HOT!!!! :rofl:

Have a good one,
Mel

4rabbit
02-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Mel,

SKI's !!! how absolutely gorgeous!!! Are you in a ski-able neighborhood??? I used to go ski in italy but I have not been for over 16 years (XH had an injury that made skiing impossible for him so it was over for me too) I love to ski but I am very afraid to drive in hills and on snow, so it is not in my near future.

Just came home from the gym...DD went to dance class, and i did 1 hr on the treadmill, watching Tv. And I have progressed to being able to do 30 minutes at 7 kms/hr (a bit under 5 miles per hour )

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

WaterRat
02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Skis, hmmmm. I learned to ski as a young 20-something, and progressed enough to enjoy it and do easy intermediate trails. Then life changed, we moved, etc. and I did mostly X-country. Once we were living in Alaska, I didn't even do a lot of that - it's too dang cold most of the time! But 20 years ago (eek, I had to look it up, I remember because it was the winter of the Challenger disaster) I took a 6 weeks "Ladie's Ski Program" with two GFs. You got ski rental, all day lift ticket, a morning lesson and lunch for a set price. It was like starting over, but I was much more fearful than I had been at 21/22.... I made some progress, but basically I've not skiied since! Plus, it's gotten soooo expensive!

dixied
02-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I've been blah this week too! Sinus infection, I think, or perhaps someone has stuck an icepick in my ear, it feels that way at least.

Haven't started my NRLW program, or even done my usual cardio, so I feel even more blah-y. :headache: I have managed to put together my workout log binder and I haven't taken any sick days, so that should count for something. My eating has been a little bipolar this week. Lentils for lunch today, followed by a few hersheys kisses. I was upping my calories into the NRLW range, but I had intended to be working out too.

I've never been skiing. Even when I lived in WV where everyone skis, I never went. I'm barely capable of walking across flat ground, skis would be disasterous. I love the name of the skis though!

Mel
02-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I was much more fearful than I had been at 21/22

Ah, the immortality of youth. I unfortunately still THINK and act like I'm 20 and consequently have a lot of bumps and bruises. And I also discovered I no longer have bones of concrete. Damn genetics! :(

Did a good back workout today despite feeling pretty tired and worried about the dexa scan. Food was good until I started cleaning up the kitchen. That's why I'm now in front of the computer instead of finishing cleaning the kitchen :devil: My house is getting to be a disaster area. I guess I could go clean bathrooms without fear of finding food....I hope!

Mel

Lifeguard
02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Hahaha - I find that as I get thinner I get braver again. I'm more sure of my body's capabilities again.

It sounds like so many people are having a rough winter. I'll try blowing some warm air north for you all.

I went white water rafting all day yesterday. The only part of me that is sore is my butt from sitting on the raft (I swear it felt like a rock) but I'm exhausted & burned today!

WaterRat
02-14-2008, 08:33 PM
So, Liffe, what are you doing in Costa Rica? Living there? Permanently? :) We went there on vacation last year and had a super time - loved the white water rafting.....

baffled111
02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi all,

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRlyPvphqk

I want to do that!

Meg
02-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Wow! :eek: And look how deep she's going on the squats. I'm impressed!!

I couldn't help but notice what a cute round butt she has -- squats, anyone? :carrot:

nelie
02-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Holy crap... I've been trying to do overhead squats with my kettlebells and they totally suck.

Pat, we may make it to Costa Rica next year, we aren't sure.

WaterRat
02-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah, she looks good all over! My knees couldn't handle going that deep, but wow!

ETA: we were posting at the same time, Nelie. I recoomend CR - we loved it. :) Did I link you to my photos before? If not, PM me and I'll send you a Flickr invite.

nelie
02-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Yes Pat I saw them. Our original plan was to go last year except it got bumped. We were thinking of trying white water rafting this year so maybe if we do and i'm adventurous enough, we can try it down there. I'm a big chicken though :)

WaterRat
02-15-2008, 05:10 PM
The only person who went overboard when we went jumped in! You certainly do stand a good chance of getting wet though. :lol: It's Alaska where whitewater rafting gets interesting - they outfit you in a dry suit! And you'd better use the restroom first. It's a chore to get in and out of those things. There's an outfit near us that does a solstice whitewater trip - you start at 10 pm! Well, it may be light, but it gets pretty dang cold out on the water that time of night. You finish up about 1 am.

Lydia227
02-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Okay. I'm having a serious case of squat envy. Thanks Baffled. Don't you love the CrossFit videos though. Inspiring.

Lifeguard
02-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Great video - my squat is one of my weaknesses.

Ok - the solstice white water rafting sounds so cool - definitely going on my to do list.

We have just moved to Costa Rica. We are going to be here 2-3 years for dh's job. It's such a great opportunity!

Today I broke my pathetic break from the gym. If I didn't get pregnant this cycle I need to come up with better strategies to deal with the fatigue from the fertility drugs for next cycle. It's destroying my training.

WaterRat
02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
I hope you don't think that you'll feel less tired being pregnant.... :)

This (http://www.novalaska.com/) is the company that does the solstice trip

nelie
02-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Oh my pat.

We are looking at white water rafting trips in PA (Ohio Pyle?) and possibly WV. DH did one in NM last year and loved it.

Lifeguard
02-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks Waterrat.

I know pregnant = tired - but at least then it will be for a cause. Now it just feels like an empty promise.

4rabbit
02-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi LWL,

WOW! on the video link. Totally incredible. Anybofy has any idea how much weight this was? it looked like ginornmous to me. And yes, definitely a case of lift like & look like a godess.

That said, I did my 2nd week of NRWL, workout 1B this morning, and I did 36 mins elliptical with c25k week 8. I am getting a bit of energy bak, but unfortunately I also get very hungry so it is a struggle. weight is up again, and I my muffin top is really getting out of hand. Strenght of will....

Have a great day all,
Rabbit