South Beach Diet - TGIF Chat

View Full Version : TGIF Chat

cottagebythesea
02-01-2008, 06:11 AM
:carrot: It's Friday!

We're having an ice storm right now, but it's supposed to warm up so this won't be around too long. The schools are on a 2-hour delay, so at least I don't have to be out there driving. ;) Maggie was well enough to be able to go back to school today, so I know she'll be happy with the delay, that means no pre-K for her. :)

I'm going to refill my coffee, anyone else want some?

femmecreole
02-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Cottage, be careful out there in the ice...brrrrrr!!! We had a really bad storm yesterday evening with tornado watch, limbs down, flooding etc. It stopped just in time for me to go to my photography class. I'm debating on whether or not to go for the last 3 classes as I will miss Survivor!

Nothing particularly fun happening here today...just teaching and then working here. I have some halibut defrosting for this afternoon. My husband has to work from 2:30 this afternoon till 11:30 tonight. He is taking another guy's place today so the other guy can go to a Mardi Gras ball. We will be off from school/work on Monday and Tuesday for Mardi Gras, so that's something to look forward to. I'll probably have to work since many of my clients don't live here and don't realize it's like Christmas...a big holiday.

I am kind of sore today from the fluidity bar workout yesterday morning, so may do WATP later today to try to loosen up a bit. I'm sure a hot bath and a couple of "exedrin back and body" will fix me right up.

tomandkara
02-01-2008, 07:44 AM
A hot bath is always in order, Cat! Enjoy!!!

Linda, glad to hear Maggie's feeling better!

I have got the worst case of the munchies today. So far I've been able to keep them at bay but my head is spinning from it! I'm stirring up a new jar of peanut butter so I can have some apple slices with peanut butter smothered on top as my evening snack. Isn't it funny that it feels like a treat to me? The peanut butter is so rich and...buttery...Love it!

Have a safe Friday!!!

Kara

femmecreole
02-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Kara, I had the munchies something fierce last night too when I got home from my class. I also ate a couple of scoops of peanut butter and that didn't do it for it for me...so I hit the laughing cow cheese and it didn't either. I finally made a big old salad and that did the trick. I was so busy earlier that I hadn't eaten since 2 and by 8 I was starving. I should know better, but was pressed for time.

tomandkara
02-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Must be something wafting through the air I guess. ;) My apples and peanut butter are tasting pretty good right now! But that's it. I'm stopping with this.

Kara

Schmoodle
02-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Wow, you guys were busy yesterday! Lots of threads for me to catch up on. The kids are on a two hour delay here too this morning, so I slept in a little. I was so beat from yesterday, so it was very nice. Today should be pretty low key and :carrot: it's Friday!

cottage, I can't wait to hear if you like the Toddy. It's awesome for lattes, and yesterday I put a little in the chocolate cheesecake smoothie. I haven't ordered my frother yet, but maybe I'll do that today.

Cat, Our committee meeting used to be on Thursdays and it drove me nuts to miss Survivor those nights. It's been moved to Wednesday's now, so it won't be a problem. Of course you can always watch it online the next day.

Kara, I had a little problem last night too, but I got up really early and had a really long day away from home, and didn't pack enough snacks, so when I got home I was REALLY hungry and had a huge dinner. Bean Soup, 3 Bean Salad, a glass of milk, then a little while later a few peanuts, then half a scoop of NSA ice cream. I was feeling kinda guilty and too full when I went to bed.

I'm going to go read all the threads and then I'll be back!

little chick
02-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Morning chicks... It has been a crazy unbelivable week for me. I don't even know how to explain it, other than it affects two little girls that I babysit and my heart is breaking for them.
I have been super busy with dance stuff. Which is making me crazy.
They are calling for the ice storm here to. Tonight into tomorrow. I will be glad when winter ends.
Well I have to dash need to make some dance related phone calls. I will try to pop back in later.

Kim_Star060404
02-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Hey everyone. Once again, TGIF indeed!

Cottage: Hope you all stay warm, especially those kiddos. They certainly don't need to be sick again! :( Anyways, have a great Friday and I'm glad you don't have to drive in that mess.

Cat: I probably missed several posts about it, but how is the fluidity bar working for you? Judging by the fact that you're sore, I imagine it's a good workout. I'm hoping to hop back onto the WATP wagon tonight. Being sick and walking doesn't work for me. Have a great day! How dare those clients not give you Mardi Gras off?! ;) It's so interesting how certain regions/cities/states, etc. take certain holidays and the rest of the country just has NO clue!

Kara: PB with apples has always been one of our household favorites. Such a simple thing, but SOOOO yummy. I hope the snack keeps the munchies away until bedtime!

Schmoodle: I'm with you celebrating Friday. It's been a looong week! I hope you have a great day! I'm behind on threads as well - I'm hoping to catch up this weekend if I get all of my homework done.

LC: I'm the opposite of you - I wish winter would stick around. Our winter has been SO mild! One big snow during Thanksgiving weekend and pretty much nothing else. I do hope that the storm isn't too bad and that you all stay safe and warm. I also hope the situation with the two little girls improves and that you're able to relax a little this weekend! :hug:

Me: Yesterday was the last day to pay property taxes without penalty and the end of the month, so we were swamped. I actually got to work at 6:30 am this morning to catch up. I think I'm almost done and had to take a break and have a cup of coffee with my SB sisters!

Tonight will be working out, I'll try three miles tonight, straightening up the house a little and doing homework. I missed some classes with my illness, so I'm needing to catch up. I'm right where I need to be for Statistics, but I'm behind a week in Tech Ed (we only meet once a week and I missed that meeting!) Dinner is leftover Taco Bake so that we can get as much done as possible before the "real" weekend.

Well, better get back to work. My bookkeeper gets here at 8:30 and I need to get some stuff on her desk by then. Always busy at tax time!!

Have a great day! ~Kim

Pacergal29
02-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Well as usual the weatherman was wrong! We did end up with a small amount of slush and it is snowing now but no where near the 6-9 inches they had us all fooled into! So yeah I am at work this morning. :?: Waiting for my son to check in because he I don't think is going to get as lucky in the snow department.

Cottage Glad Maggie is feeling better, be careful out there today!

Cat Thought of you lastnight watching the weather channel, glad you made it through ok.

Kara & Shmoodle I'm with you on the munchies, it has to be in the air! I'm blaming mine on the weather man, he had my body tricked into hibernation mode (forget I live right behind a grocery store and I am pretty sure no matter how much snow we would ever get I wouldn't starve!)

LC It's so hard to see kids go through rough times.

I guess since I am at work I should attempt to make it a productive day, check back with you all later!

Kim_Star060404
02-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Stephanie: My it's early for simulposting! :D Hope you have a great, productive day at work!!

Schmoodle
02-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Okay, I think I'm caught up now, and since I've blown an hour here, I guess I'd better get myself and the kids fed!
By the way, for snacks at my meeting yesterday, they had out bagels, cream cheese, donuts, and chex mix, but I was an :angel:

But first:
:hug: to Maggie!
pamatga, I'm sorry you're going through a tough time. Hope Mom is doing okay.
:wave: Sillyfluff, good to read you again!
tkglenn, we're here to help you any way we can.
Cat,, my DH sneaks fleur-de-lis into our decor wherever he can (that is, whenever I'm not looking). Not long ago, he brought home an iron work end table. It wasn't until I was dusting it, that I realized there were fleur-de-lis in the pattern! It's like Disney World here, with all the hidden Mickies! For Christmas, as a gesture of good will, I put some fleur-de-lis boxers into his stocking, but he hasn't worn them. Is that sacrilegious? I guess if they're okay on the feet, then they're okay on the tushie too!
Hello to the busy birds, Kim, Stephanie, LC! LC, give those babies a hug from us!

And an announcement, today makes two scale-free weeks for me, 2 more to go!
Also, I just realized it's February. I guess I am fully awake now.

GONNABE165
02-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Friday - Friday - Friday :woohoo:

My ticker looks horrible :( as I am up again in weight but all my clothes still fit the same :?:
My dh says it's probably because of all your going thru and the new meds and no exercise. Hopefully he's right and just not saying that to make me feel better.

Cottage glad to hear Maggie is feeling better. Good luck with your crazy weather.

Cat I hope the excedrin works. Enjoy your extra long weekend

Kara I just love peanut butter :T and I swear I could eat the whole jar at one sitting

Hiya Schmoodle& Stepahnie good morning

LC I hope everything works itself out

Kim you did make it in early today good for you. Enjoy your Friday

Tonight is friday dinner with the grandparents so we are going to Crispers and I am thinking of either soup or salad or both.

Be back to check in again

tomandkara
02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Hey morning chicks! I ate my peanut buttered apple (Hey, funny story, we went up to Seoul one day and went to the big aquarium there and at the snack bar they had "peanut buttered squid". ??? Tom said he had squid at darts one night and you're supposed to eat it with a peanut. He told me it really made it taste better. I can't even stomach the idea of eating squid - remember, I "turned" vegetarian because I saw my mom cleaning out the Thanksgiving turkey when I was a kid - so this was bonkers to me. Anyway, funny story. Peanut buttered squid. :lol:) and was smart enough to put away the peanut butter before I started eating, because otherwise I would've been dipping into it up to my wrists. But here I am, sitting here with my water being a good girl. :angel: Schmoo, you and I are just Beachy saints, aren't we?! Good job on avoiding those snacks at your meeting yesterday!

Gonna, glad to hear you're still on the mend. Kudos to your hubby for saying what he said. I'm certain he meant it! How sweet!!!

Stephanie, go forth and be productive! :dancer: That's us ignoring the munchies, OK?

Kim, good luck getting all your homework done! Glad to hear you're feeling better!

LC, hope everything works out with the girls. I know you'll do anything you can to help them!

:wave: Lisa! Just in case you're popping in. Miss you!

I need to make my breakfast for tomorrow so I'm ready to go when I get up. It's YOGA DAY! My last Saturday yoga in Korea. I need a smiley with one little tear running down it's face.

Did I tell you I did a spin class today? :bike: Really, it was an interval class but the cardio intervals were on the bike. I took a spin class once and couldn't walk for a week afterward because my bum hurt so bad. I'm exaggerating, but my tush was SO sore. I was scared to death today, but we just did five minute intervals so it wasn't bad. I still don't think I'll be signing up for a spin class anytime soon, though.

Off to make oatmeal.

Kara

missinmysoldier78
02-01-2008, 09:22 AM
HI ladies! Just checking in before my busy weekend.How crazy, I had to fight off the munchy bug last night also! Glad you all made good choices =)Have a great weekend.

tomandkara
02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh, dear, Nicole. It's certainly a world-wide epidemic! Was it a full moon or something?! Good luck managing your weekend! How's everything going with the man away?

Kara

missinmysoldier78
02-01-2008, 09:30 AM
YAY i GOT A sIGNATURE!

tammie00
02-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Morning Everyone. Today makes a full week on SBD. I did have one cheat day and had chicken wings but other than that I have done really well. I think I have lost about 3 pounds. HMM probably more but am slightly "stopped up" LOL I think my cravings are gone though. I want certain things but they are all legal on phase 2. Like it would have been nice to have a peice of toast with my egg and turkey sausage this morning but I didn't have to have it and I don't feel deprived without it.

Kara good luck on your move. We are moving in May to Ft Eustis VA. I am glad and sad all at the same time. I am tired of Ft Hood TX but I will miss some friends and such. This should be our last military move since we can technically retire this summer. We will probably retire in about a year and half.

I had the munchies last night too. I drank some milk since I didn't have any yesterday. I know that I get the munchies at night if I don't eat enough protein in the day.

I hope everyone with crazy weather today is able to stay warm. It's chilly here but very pretty and sunny. The wind yesterday was crazy it was about 30-40 mph.

I am off to menu plan and then to the grocery store.

tomandkara
02-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Tammie, you are so right about the protein! I had whole wheat waffles for breakfast instead of my usual eggs or oatmeal. That might have started the whole monsterofaday off on the wrong foot. I did have a humungous problem with Triscuits, come to think of it, so I wonder... Guess the kids will get to enjoy the rest of the waffles that are left over!

Yay Nicole! Beautiful ticker!

Kara

tkglenn
02-01-2008, 10:03 AM
good morning. well it's cold but sunny outside today. yesterday was really ugly. raining really hard with fierce winds and tornado warnings. I'm supposed to start phase one today but we planned to go to a really good steakhouse tonight. It kind of was something we planned before I chose to go on a diet. I don't know but some of you might know it, it's Logan's Steakhouse. If I start today, what can I eat from there? Or should I just save myself and start phase one tomorrow?

CyndiM
02-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi Chicks!

Quick check-in cuz I'm still on vacation and not supposed to be on the computer :) Sounds like we are missing an ice storm at home and leaving here in time to miss a snow storm. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get all our flying in between storms (and apparently the Super Bowl which was completely below my radar!).

I'm thinking I'll need a week of P1 when i get home. Turns out instead of eating everything in sight I have no appetite and have had to force myself to eat what little I have. My meals are not what they should be - not much vegetable content and some things I haven't eaten in 4 months. I'm looking forward to getting my body back on track.

Now I'm going to catch up a little and see what you all have been up to while I've been away :)

Cajun Girl
02-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Morning everyone!
Well I did well yesterday-- got all my water in, ate correctly and then decided to workout... so my fiance dedcided to by this Core Rhythm lating dance thing-- so a friend comes over - we clear out the coffe table -- and we start the Kick start-- well, not too bad although I quickly realize that I dont think I was meant to be a latin dancer!! but I get through it -- and got an ab work out from our laughter! SO then we say-- well lets try the 20 minute Quick Workout-- ladies-- I almost wet my pants laughing-- #1 its not just the three main moves that they teach you-- we had no clue what we were doing-- we were bumpin into each other, our moves were nothing like theirs-- so finally we just turn it off- although-- its buggin my-- I dont like thinking I cant master something-- I am gonna have to try again - with no one around! So we put in a pilates video-- I actually enjoyed that -- hard and muscles screamed for me to stop BUT liked that... my friend on the other hand had never done pilates and I got the giggles watching her face as we moved to another postiion...

Today, yes I can feel the sore muscles in my abs and hips the most.... but good feeling... I have my meals planned for the day and-- ready to complete another battle of the buldge today!

I am proud of all of you who made it through the munchies yesterday! Keep strong and please dont send that bug my way! LOL!

Good Luck to everyone this weekend!

TechieGrrl09
02-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I had the munchies too! It was horrible. I drank about 2 cups of milk, and then a ton of water. I was trying to get to sleep so I could be well rested for school, but I got stuck watching t.v. and sipping milk and stayed up 2 hours past my "bedtime". :(

Next week is going to be a big one for me. I have test almost every day. Shewwww. ;) But I am sure I will survive. My husband just thinks it is evil for professors to have a test the day after the Super Bowl. I do not think that any of my professors watch sports. :P

I can't believe it is Friday! Yeah! WooooOOOoooHoooooOOOooo! Kara, I made the oatmeal bars last night. I must admit I stood in the store staring at that huge box of dried milk thinking, "Boy, this sure is a lot of whatever this stuff is. I hate to buy it for one thing and then never use the rest of it". I bet I spend five minutes shaking the box and doing the math about how many times I might use it before I remembered your post to another member saying to go ahead and invest in it because you will definitely use it for the oatmeal bar recipe, again and again. Well, you were right. The oatmeal bars are excellent, and I am so happy to have them to grab running out the door for school. And I would have never bought that box of "stuff" without reading your post. :)

I hope everyone has a great day. I am all smiles, even though I am dreading going to classes today. I am all smiles because...

I just weighed...

and I have lost 5 pounds.

tammie00
02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
TK- You can have steak, chicken, or shrimp and steamed veggies. If your doing phase 1 avoid the bread basket and potatoes. Steakhouses to me are the easiest to eat on plan. Not as many temptations for me. I am happy with the steak and veggies. Now Italian and Mexican restraunts are not so easy for me.(and their my favorite!!! LOL

tkglenn
02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
tammie-thanks. so i can start today and not worry about feeling guilty tomorrow. i'm gonna go look for my recipe for breakfast this morning.

Neko
02-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Good morning. The nice thing is most of the ice seems to have missed Northern NJ, so it's just been rain. The only problem was it must have been icier in the very early AM, so the ramp from 287 to 23 was closed going both ways, I had to drive way up to make a U-turn so I could get to work.

Happy to say nobody smashed their little fingers last night witht the hammers. I was worried about that. Now all I have to do is plan a skit and a centerpiece for the Blue and Gold dinner. Our theme is Mardi Gras, does anyone have ideas?

I loaned my copy of South Beach to my co-denleader last night. She needs to lose some weight and her doctor recommended South Beach or Weight Watchers. I told her South Beach was free and she could even borrow my book.

Glad to see everyone made it through the munchies. Those late night cravings are the hardest part of watching what you eat.

tkglennSteakhouses are easy, just get a small steak and they always have some sort of vegetable side, usually broccoli. Caesar salad with no croutons is also allowable on P1.

Schmoodle
02-01-2008, 10:53 AM
tkglenn, good luck with your dinner out. If you can avoid the bread basked you should be fine. A lot of steak houses have a big salad bar, and you should be able to find things there too.

Cajun Girl
02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Neko!

What exactly are you planning b/c I can help you with idea for Mardi Gras!
and when it the event?

tomandkara
02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
TK, I'm a vegetarian and I actually like steak houses because they tend to have EXCELLENT salads. They've also been surprisingly accommodating in steaming veggies for me. Good luck!

Cyndi, glad to hear you're enjoying your vacation! Be safe on your travels home!

Cajun, you had ME laughing just reading about your workout. I used to joke that I'd burn as many calories laughing at Denise Austin as I would actually doing the workout. She cracks me up!

TN, :woohoo: You rock! Five pounds is awesome! :coach: "Munchies, be GONE!"

Neko, I'm sure our Louisiana gals will chime in for you. The only suggestion I'd have is to make masks, but I don't know if boys would be into that...

I'm off to bed. It's way past my bedtime!!!

Kara

GONNABE165
02-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Thank you Kara. Spin class those are tough. Enjoy your last yoga class.

Missin congrats you got your sig - I like that ticker

Tammie good luck with planning your menu. Dh and I are doing our tonight for tomorrows grocery trip

TK grilled & steamed options are the best, no bread or heavy sauces. Enjoy & good luck

Cyndi glad you poped in and I'm glad your enjoying vacation. Whats going on with you not having an appetite?

Hiya Cajun sounds like that is just the way to enjoy working out

Intech :congrat: on your 5lb loss I'm all :D with you

Neko way to help a friend out - hope it works for her

Dh just emailed me and may have to bail on our lunch date what to do now

Pearlrose
02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Good morning Chickies!!!

I got today off since I have to cover for someone tomorrow night at work, which is great because we got over 9 inches of snow, so I have a snow day with the kids today. We are going to go sledding in a bit

This morning I worked out and since everyone else was still sleeping after that, I went ahead and shoveled the front and back sidewalks. I am tired now....

I have to ask because I do not know what this stands for WATP- I am curious as to what workout this is?

Have a great day everyone

femmecreole
02-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Neko, since Fat Tuesday is REALLY about tradition and history, how about a skit (tableau) about the history of Mardi Gras? (http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/mardigras/mardigrashistory/mghistory.html) Most people that are not from here think it is only about drinking and catching beads in the French Quarter which is really NOT what the celebration is about. The drinking and flashing bit was a result of college-aged tourists turning it into a "free-for-all" and that's what the media focuses on. Mardi Gras is really about families celebrating together before Lent and is mostly a family event except for in the French Quarter which is a lot more "ribald".

HistoryChick
02-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Goodness it's busy in here!!:lol:

Well DH and I both have today off...we're SUPPOSED to be cleaning the apt...however I'm watching tv and he's playing on his computer and we're waiting for maintenance to come put in our new stove hood thingie...It's a blah day here...The rain is pouring buckets out. I need to go to the grocery store...I'll make it out there at some point today...I hope you all have a great day!:)

DFW Mom
02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Good morning everyone,

I'm 2 weeks into Phase One. (Saturday will be the start of Week 3) I'm thinking of doing Phase One another week. I've managed to lose 5 pounds, but I know I was was eating too many calories and/or too big of portions in the first week. However, that seemed to get me through the issues of a change in what I actually ate. This last week has been much easier and I think one more week will keep me on the right track. :)

It's good to see so many people around the same place I am on the Diet. I don't have my sig anymore since I'm still a "newbie", but my goal was 8 pounds thru yesterday and I ended up with 5. I must say, I'm very happy with that even though it wasn't my goal!!

On a family note... My son had his Pinewood Derby last Saturday. It was our first time as he's just in Cub Scouts for the first time. He won the whole thing!! We couldn't believe it and I didn't even have a camera with me...

I hope the weather clears up for everyone with snow and ice!!

Have a great day!! :hug:

ADAGIRL
02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
:carrot:Good morning Ladies. I am celebrating today because I finally dropped a pound!!! Every little bit gives me just that much more incentive to keep going!! I remember when I was younger and all I had to do to drop 5-6 lbs. was to give up ice cream and pop for a week!! Oh, to be young again!!:twirly:

Speaking of young, my middle daughter just crawled out of bed (12:00). I left her to snooze away this morning because we had our 3rd snowday this week. Poor kid, she turned 16 on Christmas Eve and the weather has been so bad that she hasn't been able to take her road test for her drivers licence yet. You've just got to love Michigan!! Anyway, I decided that shoveling out my 3 stall driveway was going to be my workout for today!!
Well, have a great weekend. I know that I will have to be very vigilant this weekend with my eating. Hubby is gone all weekend in Chicago, and this snowy weather just calls for comfort food:cookie:.
Sue

P.S. I really want a signature:D

PHinsUP!
02-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Good morning chicas,
I've been a little AWOL from the forum the past day or so...I've had my 2.5 yr old niece with me, and she keeps me busy.
Sounds like everyone is having a little trouble this week!
I think this weather is really playing a large part in everyone wanting to curl up with a book and some comfort food! I can't stand cold weather! I'm sooo ready for Spring, it rained and rained last night and was hovering just above freezing, so it was a miserable rain!

Today it's just chilly and muddy outside! at least it's stopped raining.

I've actually posted an exercise goal for this month...I set it very low that way I could actually, possibly meet my goal! LOL

I was about 4 lbs from my January goal..but I only weighed in twice and had set my goal kinda high.

Well...got tons to do...my niece is occupied right now..she love Caillou!
Talk to y'all later
Tina

Neko
02-01-2008, 01:34 PM
I think this weather is really playing a large part in everyone wanting to curl up with a book and some comfort food! I can't stand cold weather! I'm sooo ready for Spring, it rained and rained last night and was hovering just above freezing, so it was a miserable rain!

That's the weather in NJ right now. It's just coming down with no stop. I think I can go swimming outside underneath the trucks and trailers in the lot.

femmecreole Thanks for the information on Mardi Gras. I imagined it was all like the party in New Orleans or Carnivale in Brazile.

cajungirlThe Blue and Gold dinner is cubscouts big awards dinner event. Each Den (8 kids in mine) is responsible for decorating their table and doing a skit for the dinner according to the theme. There's also a cake decorating contest, but Ace of Cakes isn't looking to hire me anytime soon, so I'll keep my lousy decorating skills to myself. So all I need is a centerpiece and skit for second grade boys. Which is of course easier said than done. We're having a meeting next Thursday to do everything, the dinner is Sunday February 10th.

DFWmomCongrats on your son winning the pinewood derby. Is he going to regionals?

Cajun Girl
02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Neko - real simple... do you have a party city near you? if so they should have mardi gras decor all there--
you need to follow the 3 color theme-- purple gold a green theme.
you can get table cothes (plastic) in those colors-- you need beads, you need mask for the kids to wear-- hey, actuall they can make them if you want--- easy way-- get a stencil- I am sure you can find on online-- and use heafty paperplates--- cut out the stencil- hole punch holes in the side... and use string so they can wear them-- get purple gold and green glitter and let them go to town-- I would also add feathers-- kids like feathers... for decor-- Beads- did I mention beads.... let them wear them - have them splashed all out on the table... everything... also you can do a search on mardi gras and see the masks (the big ones) for decor if you cant get them at a party supply place--- then cut out of card board-- glitter them and make ones that look like them -- then get like a wooden (paint stirrer) stick and hot glue it on. I would do one one each side-- and get a piece of styrofoam wrap in purple gold or green - and push the stick through it -- little hot glue and there you go!
i would have a little stereo and play mardi gras music--let the kids dance around the table waving napkins, umbrellas, things like that - throw beads to the other tables...

Cake- well thats just easy!--- KINGS CAKE-- here is a recipe!
(well I will PM you that- it wont let me post the link)
just try not to eat it-- so good-- but REALLY not on the SB way of life!!
(aww- just thought about it, I cant have it this year!)

lets see for a tableau ( skit) : I couldnt agree more with Cat--- The history of Mardi Gras..... people often think of it as just a time to party-- but actually I consider it religious, and of course at the end -- the kids need to be in mask- and throw some beads just for the fun parts of it...
** if you could get a boy to dress as a girl-- you could have the King and Queen of the Mardi Gras be presented too! and some of the boys could act a jesters and run around an act silly!

GONNABE165
02-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I had a bit of an NSV today :carrot: which really helped with those crazy #'s on the scale. I went to lane braynt to make my cc payment and I saw a pair of pants I liked so I was gonna try them on and a woman there shopping said you look to small to be shopping here. I will take that as a complement :D

Cat thank you for the info I learned something new today

Jess I hope you & dh have a great day off

DFW :bravo: to your son

Adadgirl stay away from the comfort food it will only make you feel worse. Keep posting and you'll have your sig in no time

Hi Tina good luck with your goals

Check back in with yall in a bit

femmecreole
02-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Ok, Cajun Girl...I want to know exactly how many Mardi Gras floats did you have to make out of shoe boxes when you were a kid??? I think between my generation and my kids generation, we must have made a zillion of them.

And all the King Cakes!! I've bought a few just this season and didn't touch a piece (hey, if I'm gonna cheat, I'll go for something better than king cake!) but I must admit that the ones that are "stuffed" are pretty good. All of last night's parades were canceled and are rolling tonight and tomorrow during the day along with the ones already scheduled and I just heard it is supposed to storm on Mardi Gras day.

mandyleigh
02-01-2008, 06:14 PM
hey everybody.....

femmecreole and cajungrl...WOW>...do i remember making those shoe box mardi gras floats for the school parades....hadn't thought about those in a while!! Although, I work in a nursing home and we made mardi gras masks and announced the king/queen and the court today.....this is gonna be soooo much fun!!!

Today has been a heck of a day....every little thing has just about made me want to choke somebody!! lol....so much to the point that i called one of the chinese places around here and asked if they could make some fried rice with brown rice...now how terrible of me was that?! lol....don't worry...i haven't ordered any.....yet! lol

Barb0522
02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Neko - I don't know if there is a regional Pinewood Derby in the DFW area. I don't recall hearing about one. I know our district executive came to our derby and said that the times of the slowest boy in our finals was faster than most packs.

DFW Mom - What council are you in? Circle 10 (Dallas area) is doing Cub Olympians as the theme at Cub Day camp this summer. I'm not sure of what theme they are doing in Ft Worth which is Longhorn Council but they do a council-wide theme too. Your son can earn a lot at cub day camp. I run the North Trail Twilight Camp which is Richardson and Park Cities but I know most of the camp directors in Circle 10.

Hey, is there a January Results thread and I missed it?

I'm going to do a separate post about my day since it is so late already.

tomandkara
02-02-2008, 04:19 AM
WATP is Walk Away the Pounds. I forget who asked. It's a video series by Leslie Sansone - basically low impact aerobics. I really like them!

Kara