General Diet Plans and Questions - February SlimFasters

View Full Version : February SlimFasters

tleef
01-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Well Well Well...I bet some of you thought I had dropped off the face of the planet. Nope! Just off the wagon for a bit. I hope you're all doing well and I'm so glad to see so many new people on the SF thread. I'm hear to tell you that this plan works and it's the best plan I've used so far, especially when it comes to the price! LOL

I've been going practically crazy these past few months. Who knew planning your own wedding would be so hard? I've finally caved and hired an even coordinator who also happens to be a friend. I've picked up a second job as I really want to pay cash for everything and not use credit to get married. Just seems like a bad idea to start out a new life (even though we've been living together for like 2 years) with getting into debt. Either way I'm getting very excited and things are starting to really come together.

My gown is in but I have a grace period and don't go for my first fitting until March 28. So basically I have 8 weeks to get rid of another 15-20 lbs. I think I can do it if I keep losing at a rate of 1-2lbs/week. I gained back 7lbs over the holidays but have taken it back off in the last 3 weeks. Ideally I'd like to see 180 by the wedding (which is totally doable), but I would need to lose until my dress fitting and then stall until after the wedding on June 1 otherwise it will be too big by the wedding.

Anyhow I promise I'll keep in touch as I need all the support I can get with all the madness and I love to feed off of all of your positive energy.

BTW: Jax...do you know if Sheryl had her baby?

Cheers,
Tamara

SunshineRunner
01-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Long time no see Tamara - glad to see you are still around and working hard...been awhile since I saw you - but I am eating soooo much better since then (gosh, was it back in November??) incorporating more fruits, veggies, and whole grains into my diet.

My new food item this week is Kashi Vive cereal - it is pro-biotic - however, that's not why I got it - I got it for the fiber - 12 grams of it - and I LOVE this cereal - I haven't had a cereal this good in forever! I feel good and full after eating it and ...honestly...I wish it was all I ate right now....but that wouldn't be healthy would it? haha

Well, I'll leave you as I dream of my Rich Chocolate Royale for breakfast...yum!

tleef
02-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I did my weigh in today for SF and am sitting firmly at 202! I had a weigh in of 202.5 this week so I knew it would be around 202 for Saturday. That's 7.5lbs in three weeks of being back on SF. Yeah! :carrot:

I absolutely can't wait to see a ONE at the beginning of my weight. I can't believe it's only going to be a nother week or two for that milestone. My fiance is so funny. I put on my new size 16 pants to go to work this morning and he kept grabbing my butt (sorry if that's TMI) and then he said "How much more weight are you gonna lose?". I just laughed and told him "Hopefully another 15-25 before the wedding and then down to at least 150 after the wedding. My secret goal is to weigh less than him and that only means 165 or so. But I also know that that is still overweight for my height so I've got a lower long-term goal.

I missed working out last night because of a meeting, but I'm going to do my beach body yoga tonight when I get home and then do some serious house cleaning so it might not be too bad. I hope everyone has a good weekend and stays on plan despite all of the superbowl parties that will be going on. Just remember nothing tastes as good as healthy feels! (I know the saying is usually "thin feels", but I'm in this to change my life and get healthy, looking thinner is just a fantastic side effect!

Cheers,
Tamara

Karen31
02-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Hello everyone! I kind of got off track the past couple weeks but with the new month I'm getting right back on track and will have the 2 pounds that I gained gone in no time! Have a great weekend!

aprilcp12344
02-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow! I can't believe it has been a month already since I started SF!! What amazing results. 8.8lbs gone with the final weigh in tomorrow!

New month.

An even newer me!

Good luck with Febuary and watch out for the V-Day candy! I already told the BF no chocolate unless it's low fat... haha. You should of seen his face! Priceless.

Night everyone!

SunshineRunner
02-03-2008, 12:28 AM
I survived skydiving today!!! What a rush! I'm also down to minus 50lbs. as of today...which I wasn't expecting...so it kinda felt like a good milestone that re-confirmed my skydiving adventure...check it out:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/gatoramanda/100_1561.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/gatoramanda/100_1569.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/gatoramanda/100_1567.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/gatoramanda/100_1577.jpg

aprilcp12344
02-03-2008, 09:48 AM
OMG!! You are brave!! Congrats on both!! Surviving and losing!!

I've always wanted to try skydiving... It looks like alot of fun!!

You def. look like you had a blast!!

I lost another 2lbs this week puts me down almost 12lbs in the last month!!

I'm soo excited!!

Yay for all of us!!!

babygrant
02-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey everyone!
I started SF about four or five days ago and I LOVE it! Love it love it love it. I feel so much better physically and emotionally. I know it's only been a few days, but I do feel wonderful.

I started out at 194 lbs and now I'm 186.6 :carrot: (AF was here when I first weighed in though). i'm eating properly, but I am also not using salt on everything whereas before I used to salt everything, so I'm sure a lot of that is water weight.

my reasonis for doing this are for my kids mostly. I don't want my boys to struggle with the same weight problem I've had. And I want to live as long as I can to meet my grandkids, great grandchildren and possibly great-great grandchildren ;) I also just want to give myself some time as well. Since my oldest son was born four years ago I just put myself on the backburner. My needs would always come last, and by the time I met everyone elses needs, there would be no time for me. I need to balance things better so that everyones needs get met, because my health is just as important as my childrens.

Anyways, I love to ramble, so hope I didn't lose anyone :D

Angela

babygrant
02-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Gatoramanda - who is that guy strapped to your back when you were skydiving? Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeewee he's good lookin! ;)

jaxjob
02-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi all,

Amanda - looks like you had lots of fun skydiving. I did it once - on my own though, not attached to someone else. It was great but scary. I don't actually remember jumping from the plane - the training is military-like and it's all instinctive. No time to think! It was amazing though.

Well I am UP this week. I've been plateauing for the last month - no official weigh-ins since I've been missing my TOPS meetings (not due to my own choice - work and sick kids). Then for the last 10 days I've been sick - mostly dizzy and a sinus infection and have definitely gained. Slimfast RTD is back on my shopping list and I'm going to clamber decisively back onto the wagon. May have to send DH shopping since I'm still not feeling like I can walk around the store without passing out, but I'm going to be careful with what I eat. Having the RTD makes it more likely that I'll have slimfast for lunch - I am good at making shakes for breakfast but tend to be more hurried at lunchtime and I don't like the powdered stuff unless it's blended with fruit.

Tamara - good to hear from you again, you'll be into ONEderland right away. Glad to hear things are going well with the wedding plans, finances can be tricky though - I hear you on that one. I've not heard anything from Cheryl.

Well that's it for me. Aiming for a 6-8 lb loss this month and looking for that 155 (not overweight) marker by May. That will be one year since I started this bumpy journey and a good time to get there...

Snuggles to all,

bargoo
02-03-2008, 11:34 AM
gatormanda , congratulations on your weight loss and double congratulations on sky diving......I agree that is a great looking guy.

goincrazyinky
02-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone! I am curious to know what you slimfasters eat on a typical normal day and I would appreciate it if you could write down a sample day of your slimfast diet. Pretty please with splenda on top? I am beginning Slimfast and I drink the cappucino at breakfast and a boiled egg about an hour after that. How do you resist temptation to not leap into a birthday cake or not pick up those restaurant chips and dip when all those around you are stuffing their faces? It is not easy and I sure would feel not-alone if you all could share with me your daily plan and what you do to ward off the munchies. Thanks! Pat in Kentucky

bargoo
02-03-2008, 11:56 AM
gincrazyinky. Slimfast has a website and can give you free meal plans.
www.slimfast.com

babygrant
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Today's menu is this:

Breakfast: slim fast shake:
Snack: slim fast bar:
Lunch: slim fast shake, salad
Snack: apple
Dinner: homemade chili (loaded with veggies)
Snack: cantelope

tleef
02-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Good morning all,

My menu for today looks like this:

Breakfast: High Protein Meal Bar (didn't have time for a shake)
Snack: 1/2 cup frozen blueberries thawed, 1/2 med banana, 4oz yogurt
Lunch: MOG Bar, Large green salad w/ low cal dressing and 2 oz broiled chicken (leftover from dinner last night)
Snack: Cup a soup (veggie) and one serving low sodium wheat thins
Dinner: Pasta 2/ peanut sauce (recipe on slim-fast website) YUMMY! ! !
Snack: Strawberries & Sugar free chocolate pudding

I drink at least 2 - 3 litres of water a day which definately helps to stave off the munchies. I also have to do some serious self-talk when there is junk food left in front of me. But sometimes I have a cookie or whatever because I don't believe in denying myself anything. If I want it I have it and I add it into my nutritional tracker and count it for my daily totals. I even do this if I have drinks...those are usually high calorie days for me but deprivation leads to failure! Most of the time I can find a lower calorie alternative to the treat that I want.

Last weekend I had a movie night with my 15 year old daughter and we had cheeseburgers and coleslaw (slimfast recipe) for dinner plus I added some sweet potatoe fries. While we watched movies my "treats" were 1 x 100 calorie bag of OR Smart Pop and a Cadbury Thins Candy bar. I even drank some diet coke which my cravings for have all but disappreared since I got back on the high water consumption again. I felt like I had eaten a whole bunch of junk food but my calorie consumption was still well within my 1500 range and I knew that even though it's not as healthy as say veggies and fruit I felt like I had given myself a big treat and hadn't cheated so I didn't have to beat myself up over it.

I'll tell you another thing. One of the biggest bonuses for me since I work two jobs right now and can't always eat dinner at home. I love frozen dinners: Lean Cuisine/WW Smart Ones/Michelina's Advantage...they're all really good and with a big salad and a whole wheat roll I still get a yummy dinner and don't have to resort to fast food. The portion control is great, it takes all the guesswork out of it.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tamara

tleef
02-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Jax: Nice to be back. I know how much easier this process is when I can feed off of other people's positive vibes. It's fantastic to hear that everyone is doing so well with the SF plan.

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. I hope it passes soon. Rest, plenty of liquid and some good movies! LOL

Cheers,
Tamara

Karen31
02-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Amanda-- WOW!! :congrat: On the 50 pounds lost!! That is awesome!! And Skydiving:bravo: You are doing so wonderful!! You need to send some of that :dust: this way!!!

Tamara-- I remember seeing you for other slimfast threads! Welcome Back!

jaxjob --- I too am up the 2 pounds for the last 2 weeks. I stayed the same one week and then up the next. But I'm really going to get back on track and get those pounds and more off!

april and babygrant-- Congrats on your weight loss!

Bargoo-- Hello and nice to see you here.
I'm glad that there are so many people starting with the slimfast! hope everyone does great on it and lets keep this thread lively!!!

Have a great day!!

aprilcp12344
02-03-2008, 03:51 PM
This has turned into quite the busy thread!

I hope everyone does great this week on SF... Good luck!

sunny jo
02-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Hey karen,

Thanks for the warm welcome, I am so sad tonite with this trying and going no where, but so happy to hear from you , that is a good sign, new friends, slim fast this mo wt off for sure in Feb. off to bed now. start my day with slim fast and will feel better once I get rolling. as I am sure you know ,getting started is the hardest, but, have all my water in the house , cans of slim fast for my in the hurry when taken grandkids to school, and powder when need to mix some fruit or other healthy stuff into the powder. I am looking forward to getting to know you. Hello to all of you here . I do not have enough points to email in private.....lol...so Hi to you karen and talk to you soon.

Sunny Jo

sunny jo
02-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Hi, wanted to say again, I am so EXCITED to see how busy this thread seems to be, I can not wait to check in tomorrow and see how you all are doing. Off to bed , have a great day.

sunny jo

Karen31
02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi sunny jo, Just didn't want you to get lost in the January thread. I think you will find this thread is staying pretty busy with lots of encouragement and just plain lots of fun! I know we will all be anxious to get to know you. Have a good night!

sunny jo
02-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for helping me get in the right spot. Am I in the Feb gang now??? I will get the hang of this posting soon. This is new for me:o, so thanks for helping me out. :carrot: If I am not just toss me there and I will do better tomorrow:dizzy:....lol have a good nite.

sunny jo

SunshineRunner
02-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Ladies - the skydive instructor was HOT!!! He was Italian...yum! Super Yum! I skydived over Titusville, FL (about 90 minutes north of me on the east coast) and home of NASA...so I had a great view of NASA and the coast. It was unbelievable....I'm sooo amazed that I did it - I'm an adventurous girl...but have always been afraid of heights/roller coasters - etc....soooo...I'm not sure what happened, but I was invited and did it and I would most definitely do it again! It's fabulous!

Scale said 175.6 this morning...not sure why my weight is dropping so quickly this weekend...I'll take it - but if it's not there tomorrow morning...I won't move my ticker....I like to confirm these odd and unexpected results. I can't wait to see 162lbs..that is when I will be considered "Normal" and not overweight anymore! Yahoo!

For my diet plan - click on the link to the left for my blog...I update depending on my mood - but I have a sample plan on there and clearly what I am doing works for me. I focus on 1400 calories/day...reasonable amount of fat...high fiber (preferably 35+ grams/day) and Low sodium (if I'm under 2400mgs, I consider that a good day...it's really hard!)...I come up with different items that work into my meals every day....but I do have a SF every morning for breakfast and it feels like a treat to me. Yum!

Well, I'm off to bed...hopefully I have a few good dreams about my skydive instructor!

Have a great Monday everyone!

steph618
02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Sounds like everyone's February is off to a great start. I started Slim Fast last Tuesday. I weighed this morning and I am only down 1 pound. That's my fault though. I didn't eat very well over the weekend. We had a lot to do this weekend and I had a couple of fast food meals. I'm back on track today and hopefully by next week the scale will be done!

babygrant
02-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Still plugging away! I feel really good except for the bloat this morning. i'm not expecting the TOM anytime soon, but last night for dinner I ate 1/2 cup brown rice for the first time since I stared SF. I really don't know if my body handles grains well because I get REALLY bloated when I eat bread, so I haven't since I started. Any input?

sunny jo
02-04-2008, 10:27 PM
hello everyone,

Well i did it , sigh....lol. today was a good day, off to a good start. I felt a lot better and had more get up and go then I have in while. I had a high protein sf bar for lunch, first time I had that it was good and i was not hungry until dinner.
So how did you all do?
babygrant I have the same thing happen to me when i eat bread. I do not eat rice so sorry that i can not help ya on that one. Hope you are feeling better. Were is everyone....hello Karen....anyone out here....off to read and bed....nooooooooooooo hubby did not just tell me he picked up min choc. chip ice cream for me.....oh dear, nope not going to have any, but thanks hubby...lol.....

sunny jo

tleef
02-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Good day all!

Hope everyone is doing well today. I have been pretty good for the most part. I did have chinese for lunch yesterday, but I also had just salad for dinner with a little cheese (no starch). Tonight is SF menu...Dijon Chicken, Steamed Brocolli and my own sweet potato fries recipe. Yummy! Even the daughter and fiance like this menu.

I'm off the the gym tonight as I didn't go last night (Mon/Wed/Fri is the norm during the week) becuase of dinner with the in-laws. I forgot to bring fruit to work for my snack this morning, but I have a reserve of yogurt and cup-a-soup at work so I just had those.

I'm so excited at the prospect of hitting ONEderland that I have to keep myself in check to not under-eat. I know that sounds ridiculous, but while one part of my mind is telling me I'm hungry and it's time for a snack another part is like "Hey...if you don't have that snack you'll get there faster!". I know that I need to eat for this to work and if I want to be able to stick to it...but I still seem to try to sabotage myself by doing things like forgetting the snack that I know I need every morning.

I'll grocery shop tonight and then there won't be an excuse. I find I'm much more regimented when I can plan a week in advance.

babygrant: There is a possibility that grains don't agree with you, although rice isn't generally as harsh as wheat (like in bread). Are you drinking a couple of litres a day of water??? I find that if I stick to the SF plan but don't drink the recommended amount of water I get bloated and things tend to not "move" as well as one would like...if ya catch my drift. Make sure that you're taking is minimum two litres of water every day. I know some people include other drinks (tea and things like that) in their water consumption, but I don't. If I have a cup of tea that's fine, but I still take in at least 2 x 1L bottles of plain water every day. On days that I work out heavy or if it's hot I drink even more than that.

sunnyjo: Welcome and I hope you'll enjoy the plan as much as I do. One thing I wondered you said you had a high protein SF bar for lunch the other day...what else did you have? It's fine to have just a SF product for one meal a day (usually it's breakfast for me) but the rest of the time you should be supplementing with other things as well.

Lunch should be:
SF bar and sandwich w/ fruit
SF bar w/ yogurt and peanuts
SF bar w/ mini pizza
SF shake with chef's salad
SF shake with pbj bagel

Etcetera...

One of the major problems with the "old" way of using the SF plan is that people were much too restrictive (2 shakes a day + sensible dinner) and they fell of the wagon a lot. When SF restructured their plan they did what nutrition experts now Know for certain. Eating regularly timed meals and snacking on healthful foods between meals equals an easier, healthier way to lose and maintain your weight. Eating six times a day allows your metabolism to work it's best and doesn't leave you hungry and more likely to grab unhealthy convenience foods.

I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing...but I know how well this program can work if you use it's tools. Also, by logging EVERYTHING you eat in a day into the SF website (create a profile)...you can see if you're getting your RDI for most nutrients daily. I use it to find out how my fibre is doing as that seems to be the place that I'm consistently lower than recommended.

Cheers,
Tamara

aprilcp12344
02-05-2008, 04:43 PM
This week has been funny... My dad came up over the weekend and we had a huge spaghetti lunch, but I only had my nightly snack and some left over meatballs for supper. I've been feeling funny every since. I'm getting use to all the healthy food, that if I even touch the not-so-good stuff it messes with my stomach.

This weekend we are going to where he lives for his birthday. He's treating us all to Red Lobster.

Anyone have any tips for that day? lol.

I have to agree with tleef. I tried the old version a couple years back and gave up because I was always hungry. It was way too restrictive for me. Eating those snacks will make all the difference later. I really like the new program, it suits most people alot better.

For those os you who love ice cream. (sunnyjo) Weight Watchers has ice cream that comes in two packs. 150 calories each! And I believe they have mint chocolate chip... I prefer the chocolate chip cookie dough, and it is really good!! Taste just like the real thing!

Hope everyone has a great day! I'm off to supper and then to work out!!

Night!

AnnCan1111
02-06-2008, 07:20 AM
April, RedLobster has a lighthouse menu, you can look at it online before you go to the restaurant. The lighthouse menu is usually on the table with the flip thing, with deserts and stuff in it. I usually have the chicken, baked potato and seasoned broccoli. If you look at the lighthouse menu, you can pick before you go.

If you go to redlobster.com/menus/lighthouse/Default.asp?

The only problem with RedLobster is sometimes it can be really salty depending on the restaurant. I just drink more water and make sure my weigh in day isn't for a couple of days.

Enjoy

tleef
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Wooo Hooo! I weighed at 201.5 this morning. I'm so pumped! ONEderland is just around the corner. Official WI on the SF site isn't until Saturday and I'm finally going to go and have my measurements done.

Hope everyone is doing well. Updates from anyone? Challenges? Obstacles? Feel Good Moments?

Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey Slim Fasters~
I've just been trying out the Slim Fast shakes and bars and here are my problems:
1) They seem to have a ton of sugar, and not enough protien or fiber.
2) I haven't been eating enough fruits and vegetables because I've been eating the shakes and bars and I think this is why I have stopped losing weight.
3) I get really hungry, which makes me want to just eat everything in sight later.

Any suggestions for how to do better? I do like Slim Fast in that it is easy to get and cheap.
Thanks.

tleef
02-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi bethbeth...Welcome to the SF Thread! :welcome2:

Have you checked out he SlimFast.com website? They actually do a menu plan for you that you can play with if you don't like what's on for that day.

I keep track of every single thing that I put in my mouth on that site as well as my water intake and exercise. The bars are definately higher in sugar and lower in protein and fibre than say an Atkins bar...but for me they work in combination with the other foods that are recommended in my meal plan. I can look at a single day's intake and find out if I'm low in protein/fibre/calories/etc. or too high in fat/calories/etc. I also love that I can do a 7 Day average that shows how I'm doing weekly. I love that I can eat six times a day and I love all the food that I eat in a day. I eat a ton of fruits and veggies, lots of whole grains and a good amount of lean protein. I don't forbid any food...if I want chocolate I have chocolate, I just add it in to that day's count.

If you're getting hungry during the day you're not eating enough! Try eating lots of low calorie/high density foods. Salad are a great example of this. The OLD SlimFast plan was 2 shakes a day and a sensible dinner, but the sheer deprivation of a diet like that made it too hard to stick with and while lots of people had short term success...long term success was hard to obtain. The nutritionists and researchers got together and developed the new and improved SF plan which allows for a lot more food with still a modest weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week.

I have managed to lose 25lbs using SF...I'm never hungry (unless I wait too long for a meal/snack) and I've got more energy than I have in quite a while. I work out 3x week and even with that I can feel the difference in my body and energy levels. I started SF at the end of May 2007 and by July 2007 had lost 22lbs (226lbs to 204lbs). I stopped using the plan and started to make bad choices (although I don't think I really started to regain until late fall 2007) that I knew where bad choices and put back on 7.5lbs (back to 209.5). I restarted my diet almost 4 weeks ago and have already lost the weight I put back on plus a little (currently sitting at 201.5).

I know the program works, but I also know that when I don't eat as much as I'm supposed to I get hungry and Hunger=Disaster! I hope you'll go and check out the site and see what a daily menu plan for you should look like. Even if you decide not to use it as your daily log you can get some great recipes and ideas for snacks that will help fill you up without a ton of calories.

Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks a lot Tamara!
You're doing great on your wedding goal! I got married 7 months ago! Marriage is awesome!

SunshineRunner
02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Beth - I highly recommend looking at things outside of SF for your snacks. I only use the SF Shakes - I have one every single morning for breakfast - I have lost 52lbs since Sept. 23, 2007...wowza! SF plus a calorie goal of 1400, lower fat (I don't count, I just look for reasonable), lower sodium (under 2400 mg per day is what I strive for), and HIGH Fiber (this is the key for me - I get at least 35-40 grams/day)...have you tried Fiber One Granola Bars - I feel that they are like having a great dessert - yet they have 9 grams of fiber...I have one of those almost daily....I also go for whole grains and high fiber products, try my best to get in a couple of servings of fruits/veggies each day...and I workout 5 nights/week....it used to be really tough..now it's just great....you can read my blog for a sample meal plan :)

Good luck!
~A

tleef
02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree with gatermanda...I very rarely use SF products as my snacks, although once in a while I'll have a SF muffin bar. For the most part my snacks consist of fresh fruits and veggies or high fibre items. In Canada I just can't seem to find a lot of the products that you lucky folks get down south. My mom and sister live in MO, so sometimes I can convince them to send up a box with a bunch of stuff in it. I wish I could find this laughing cow cheese so many talk about but so far...no go.

There are a bunch of snack ideas on the SF website that DO NOT consist of SF products. Like Blueberries, Banana & Yogurt, Graham Crackers & Peanut Butter, Raisins & Almonds, Whole Grain Crackers & Veggies, Etc.

Hope everyone is doing well...I have my SF WI tomorrow and am finally going to get my measurements done (haven't since July or August 07). I'll update on Sunday.

Cheers,
Tamara

Karen31
02-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Good Morning everyone! Happy to see that everyone is doing good! I was happy to get on the scales this morning and I'm back down to my ticker weight! WHEW!! Got to get more serious about getting in the exercise!! Hope everyone has a good day!

Newlifestyle
02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Tamara, you can get laughing cow cheese at Superstore, no frills, and stores that sell presidents choice items. It is where the specialty cheeses are sold. Like havarti and things like that.
Also check walmart you might be able to get it there. I haven't checked there.

aprilcp12344
02-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Well... I had a poor week eating wise...

But...

I still managed to lose another 1 1/2lbs to meet my V-Goal 4 days early...

YAYS!!

Today is Red Lobster day... Wish me good luck!!

Hope everyone is doing great!!

Have a happy Sunday!

bargoo
02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I use Slimfast along with calorie counting. I reached my goal doing this and am still using Slimfast to maintain.Slimfast has a menu plan on their website, it is worth checking out.

jaxjob
02-11-2008, 09:06 AM
bethbeth - Slimfast stopped being effective for me when I began to use too many of their products. I do best on it with just the two meal replacements each day (sometimes only one) and using fruits/veggies as my snack, often combined with a little protein too. I do like the whole grain muffin bars and they are good if I'm rushed, but generally I find if I have too much slimfast product I do get hungry.

Well I was up on my TOPS weigh in, but now feel back in the loop again and ready to attack this properly. I restarted using the slimfast journal pages (printed from the website) - they are one of many tracking tools I've used, and probably the most successful. I did like fitday.com but found it too restricting to always have to be online to log (can't use the downloadable version since I have a mac) and have a good feeling for the food breakdowns now.

I have redesigned my goal and ticker too to reflect that. I want to be down to 155 (non-overweight BMI) by the beginning of May. Looking forward to it.

shelby897
02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Room for one more?? I started Slim Fast today -- again. I did it for a while last year and did really well but got a little too cocky I guess and thought I could do it on my own. Well, 30 pounds gained since I guess I was wrong :dizzy:

So, this morning I'm back on their website, hit the store to stock up and hope to end this year at my goal.

tleef
02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone! Well my weigh in on Saturday for SF website and Curves was 200lbs...but on Sunday when I hit the scale (can't seem to kick that terrible weigh every day habit)...I was 199.5! Wooo Hooo :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Newlifestyle: Thanks so much...I'll check out Superstore and see if I can find it.

aprilcp12344: I hope that things went well for you at Red Lobster, but it sounds like you're doing really well.

jaxjob: I'm in full agreement. When I depend too much on the SF products I can find myself looking to graze even between snacks. I'd much rather have a snack that's higher in protein or fibre than one of the SF snacks although I do keep them on hand "just in case". I also find that some of my best days are ones that I have a turkey sandwich, big salad and hard boiled egg for lunch as opposed to SF bar and ________. I love the convenience of the SF products...but sometimes I'd much rather eat "normal" food...the kind of thing I'll be eating when I hit maintenance...and other times I'm so thankful for the ease of the products. I very rarely eat SF products for snacks though.

shelby897: There is always room for more! :welcome2: Tell us a little about yourself.

I haven't updated my ticker as I'm getting a bunch of little x's instead of pictures right now. Will try again later.

Everyone have a terrific day!
Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Tamara~
Congratulations and welcome to Onederland! What an exciting milestone!

Shelby897~
Welcome to the SlimFast thread. Glad to have you!

As for me, I'm doing well. After several weeks of no real exercise, I am back on track and working out again. And I've lost 2 pounds!

Keep in touch everybody!

Beth

SunshineRunner
02-11-2008, 06:27 PM
BethBeth - Glad to see you back on track with your exercise - I find it best and easiest for me to schedule it...if not, I'm just not going to do it...it's how I have worked up to 5 nights/week X 2 hours per night. I'm actually starting to schedule in classes as well - this week it is Yoga & Cardio Kickboxing...I have never taken yoga - but the cardio kickboxing instructor at my gym is one tough cookie...mmmm...cookies...just kidding!

Tamara - Congrats!!! Now you have to keep checking back in with us and don't leave us hanging for months - we want to see you in the 180's soon!!! Don't stress about weighing every day - I don't know how you handle it - but it keeps me on track personally. I know - som people think it a bad plan...but hey - there is research out there that says people who step on the scale daily are actually more in tune with their weight and work harder to get to goal...not sure where I read that at - but I read it - and I'm doing well by weighing daily.

Shelby - Welcome! :hugs: Join our group and check in often - there is alway something to chitty chat about and lots of encouragement here.

April - how did Red Lobster go?

Karen - how are you doing? Not hearing from you as often as in the past... :(

As for me - I'm donig fine - TOM is here so scale is up a little - but that always drops off for me in a day or two...yay for knowing my flux. Weighed in for the Kmart Challenge on Saturday and was down 7lbs since last weigh in - 2 weeks ago....I'm bound and determined to win some of that cashola they are giving away. :) Went shopping on Saturday afternoon and got a new haircut (which I love by the way...simple layering...but it was a good cut...can't ask for more than that!) and I bought size 12 jeans from Express & American Eagle (clearance $20 jeans at that ...since I plan on getting down one or 2 more sizes)...in any case..that was wonderful!

Keep up the work ladies!
~Amanda

bethbeth
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Amanda~
52 pounds lost is amazing! You can be proud of yourself! And it's great to hear that you are treating yourself to new haircuts and new jeans! I think new clothes and haircuts really help us feel good about ourselves...which helps us lose more weight! My plan is to buy new underwear when I hit my birthday goal...I'm looking forward to it!

shelby897
02-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi everyone!! :D I'm sure you've all discussed this before -- but do you all stick right to the slimfast plan or have you tweeked it to yourselves? I'm on my second day and have a busy night, so I ate lunch and was going to slimfast my dinner -- do you think that's okay?

You are all doing so well -- even with red lobster, wedding plans, etc. Awesome. Send some of your SF skills my way, okay?? :dizzy:

About me -- I'm 37, married for almost 11 years, have two awesome boys and have my own part-time business from home (until I get my youngest to school this fall!!) And, somehow I've managed to gain 100 lbs since I met my husband 13 years ago -- where did it come from???!!!

jaxjob
02-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi Shelby,

I think most of us tweak the slimfast plan to some degree - at least after a while on it. It's fine to switch your meals around - I met my hubby in town today for lunch (veggie wrap and salad - yum!) so supper will be slimfast for me too. I think Amanda always does it that way. Just keep track of what works and what doesn't and you'll get the most out of slimfasting. That's why the food diary idea is SO important, not just for accountability (although it sure helps me there) but so you can really see what works and what isn't effective.

With you on the weight gain - where does it come from? For me it's been in the 10 years since having kids - my oldest is 10. Nothing fast, just creeping up and not keeping tabs on it. Thus I don't expect it to come off quickly - the reason I set May 1 as a goal is that I started this journey in May last year, so although it's been rocky (ups and downs) I'd like to see one goal met within that year.

Yesterday's day went well, it's good to be back on track.

didjaever
02-12-2008, 03:39 PM
How long have you tried SF?? I found that it took a good week before my body adjusted. I now have a shake for breakfast, meal-on-the-go bar for lunch, afternoon snack, sensible dinner and evening snack... I am at about 1200 a day and I am not hungry at all...

didjaever
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
I agree... the SF snacks are on average 140 calories. There are plenty of 100 calorie snack packs on the market that satisfy me. I especially like the 100 calories bags of microwave popcorn.

didjaever
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Goingcrazyinky:

Some people might say that I don't eat enough but as long as I eat my 1200 calories a day, I feel fine.

BREAKFAST
SF chocolate royale shake

LUNCH
SF meal-on-the-go bar (usually chocolate chip)

AFTERNOON SNACK
100 calories snack (100 calorie pack or 100 calories yogurt)

DINNER
Lean Cuisine or something that I can make that is about 300 calories

EVENING SNACK
100 calorie snack

I have resisted many temtations over the past several weeks. My boss came into the office one day with fried dough. He asked if I wanted some and I said no... the smell was enough to satisfy me. I said to myself, "why did you say no? Because it was the right thing to do." I have said this line to myself every single time I have felt temptations.

aprilcp12344
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
I think I did pretty well at Red Lobster...

I ordered a garden salad, skipped the bisquicks(sp?), ordered veggies instead of fries or rice, and had steamed snow crab legs and grilled salmon. Wasn't too thrilled about salmon as it was my first time trying it. So I only ate half. It was just to greasy for my taste. Loved the crab though.

This last week has been tipsy turny as far as my eating went. I managed to get in 5 days of exercise though. A new high for me!!

So I'm back on track today and so far am where I want to be as far as calories go. I usually eat about 1600 a day.

We just got a new apartment... right next door. We went from a studio to a ONE BEDROOM!!! I'm soo excited!! We move in this week!

I'm not a big fan of the SF snacks. I perfer my own as they seem more filling.

I'm glad to hear everyone doing soo well!! welcome to all the newer people... I'm glad to have you onboard our wonderful thread!!

SunshineRunner
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Ladies - I'm sitting here recovering from my workout...doing really well this week with them...last week I was kinda bummy and tired (PMS) and that prevented me from giving my all during workouts...I didn't skip any...just didn't stay as long as usual...but doing good now.

I'm half way through my TOM and I have tracked my weight daily since my start (9/27) so I know how my TOM flux with my weight...up a couple of lbs. right when it starts..then down to normal after 2-3 days...thank god for being back to normal...I also generally (fingers crossed) lose a couple of lbs. the last couple of days of TOM...so, yes, TOM is my dear dear friend.. ;)

For those with questions about how I eat...here is what I do...it's taken some time and label reading and perusing 3FC for new ideas...etc...but feel free to borrow my plan if you want...I have been very successful with it and can't help but feel like its the best thing in the world:

7:15am - Banana on car ride to work.
8:30am - SlimFast Shake
11:00am - Fiber One Granola Bar (yummy!)
1:00pm - Lunch - Sandwich, Kashi frozen pizza, Fiber Gourmet Pasta w/sauce, Cereal (either Kashi Vive or Fiber One Raisin Bran) some fruit or a veggie worked in here...oh..and when I have a sandwich - Pringles Light...I love chips :)
3:00pm - something in the 100 calorie range of snacks - 100 calorie pack, mini babybel cheese(50 cals), Sugar Free Pudding (60 cals), melba toast w/ Laughing cow wedge (95 cals)
5:00pm - another snacky item in the 100 calorie range
***7:30-9:30pm**** gym time
9:45pm - Kashi Vive Cereal or Fiber One Raisin Bran

***I eat between 1200-1400 calories/day - usually on the higher end of this***

Notes: I always drink my 8 plus glasses of water a day plus a sugar free fruit punch or two (10 calories)...the cereal, slim fast, fiber one bars are all really high in fiber and essential to my diet. I track my intake every day along with my exercise on thedailyplate.com - it's a life saver. Do I eat out? Yes, once a week...try to be healthy - but considering the sodium in everything out to eat...I assume I go way over the health-o-meter and call that a shot day...but I don't go home and have a huge bowl of ice cream either :) I don't feel bad on those days...I have to make time for family and friends and for many of us out there...that involves eating out...drinks..etc...I feel I can do that and not screw myself because I do so well every single day. I have dedicated myself to this...getting healthy...being healthy...staying healthy. I have no doubt everyone can do it - yes, willpower is key....you will have doubters and folks that won't help along the way...but bottom line is that I am stronger than that.

By the way - only 20lbs left to go!!!!

Peace :)
~Amanda

tleef
02-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Oh gatoramanda! You're doing so amazingly well! I started at 227 as well (although I didn't join 3fc until 226 so that's what I use for my starting weight. You're such an inspiration to us all. I can't wait to be able to say..."Only 20 lbs left to go". I'll take longer as I'm only 5'4" so my "Ideal weight" is a bit less than yours, but still you're doing so great and you should be extremely proud of yourself. :bravo: Oh and ps...I hear ya on that TOM thing, I'm always up (like right now) right before and for about the first day or two. I don't get too worked up about it though because I know that once the water retention goes away I'm usually back down the pound or so and then maybe a little more!

aprilcp12344: I'm glad to hear that you did well at Red Lobster. I know what a challenge it can be to try and stay on track while you're out socially with people who aren't watching what they eat. Congratulations on your new apartment! I dislike moving...although I'm thinking that just next door wouldn't be nearly as bad. Hope the moves goes well...keep us updated

didjaever: I think I would probably fall off the wagon if I was only eating 1200 calories a day! Good for you if that's what works. I need way more protein, fibre and greens than you're having in a day, but that's just what works for me. I'm on a 1500 calorie plan and the only time I have ONLY a SF is in the mornings...either a shake or high protein MOG bar. All of my other snacks/meals have lots of other food supplemented with a SF product (usually only at lunch). I also find that if I add berries to my shake on weekend mornings (because that's the only time I work out in the AM) I'm not craving carbs before my mid-morning snack. But like I said...we're all very different and our bodies all have different needs so if what you're doing works for you and you don't feel deprived of anything and you're meeting your Daily Recommended Intake of all your essential vitamins/minerals/etc. then good for you and keep up the amazing work!

Shelby: I think the best plan is the one you stick to! If it works better for you to do a SF meal in the morning, regular meal at lunch and a SF meal (with other food) in the evening...then that's exactly what you should do! Where did the weight come from? Well for me it was bad choices...really bad choices! I was eating out at least once a day (OMG) and never choosing the healthier items. Now the only time I eat out is at Subway (not often but when I do it's a 260 calorie Turkey on WW with no cheese, lots of veggies and low-fat honey mustard) and once every two weeks one of my coworkers and I (she's doing SF and Curves with me) go for Chinese food but only if we've stayed totally on plan and have worked out at least 3 times during the week together! I wasn't working out...EVER! And I have to tell you I was in a vicious cycle....I feel bad about myself so I eat, I gain weight so I feel bad about myself so I eat...and so on and so on. I was 135 when I got pregnant with my daughter (she's 15 now, I was 20), post pregnancy I never got lower than about 160 and between 1998 and 2007 I got up to 227! In 2000 I did the SF plan and went from 205 down to 175, but then stopped eating well and stopped going to the gym and put it back on and then some. I guess at that point I hadn't realized that it wasn't just a diet I needed it was a complete lifestyle change! Today I know the difference!

bethbeth: You'll have to let us know if you find some cute little undies that you never thought 6 months ago or a year ago that you'd ever buy! I found a bunch of clearance stuff a couple of weeks ago and bought a whole bunch of size 16 stuff (even though I know it won't fit for long...but at $5/pants or skirt, how could I say NO! LOL) and my first size 14 that I've had in a long, long time! What a huge NSV! I get to pick up my wedding dress this weekend and I'm anxious to see how it fits. My fiance promised me a pedicure at the spa (one of my favorite things) when I hit 30lbs lost...that's only 2 more lbs! Wooo Hooo! :carrot:

Jax: You're doing splendidly! A one year goal is amazing. I imagine if I hadn't fallen off the wagon back in August I'd be much closer! I also started just after the Cdn May long-weekend last year so just before my wedding this year (June 1) I'm hoping to have lost the better part of 50lbs...and then before I head to the Dominican in December for my girlfriend's wedding I'm looking to be at goal! SO has already promised me a tummy tuck once I hit goal and stay there for 6 months (talk about a huge reason to get there and stay there)...that would put me summer 2009 for the surgery. I may not need it (although I suspect from the pooch already that I will want it to get rid of the extra skin, stretch marks and tighten the muscles).

Anyhow I hope everyone has a great day. I'm still sitting at 199.5, but TOM is iminent! :devil: LOL

Cheers,Tamara

shelby897
02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
April -- Congrats on the new apartment -- that will be so nice to have the extra room.

Amanda -- Thanks for posting your day -- that definitely helps me get going in the right direction. I get nervous because it seems like Slim Fast's website is telling me to eat too much!! But I guess at 100 lbs overweight, I can't expect to eat two slim fast bars and a piece of chicken every day!!

So, I'm off to write down a menu for the rest of the week so I can keep better track. Hope everyone has a great day.

didjaever
02-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Tamara:

I forgot to mention that when I make a Lean Cuisine for dinner I always make additional veggies. In my 34 years of life I hae NEVER EVER wanted to touch broccolli. I always treated it as a creature from space but since I started dieting, I decided that veggies has to play a more significant role in my life. Guess what?? Where has broccolli been all my life....hehehe

tleef
02-13-2008, 12:21 PM
didjaever: - I hear that! I used to only eat carrots and corn (both high in starch and sugar)...now I eat green beans, brocolli, peas, spinach, all peppers, all root veggies, snow pea pods, avacados (yes, I know they're a fruit!) and tomatoes as long as they're in something...still don't like the taste of just tomatoes. I think it's important that you add those extra veggies to your LC meal. When I have a frozen dinner (Weight Watchers Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine, Michelina's Advantage) I always add a big salad and a whole grain roll to round out the meal.

Hey y'all...I just found a great website with a bunch of low-cal and low-fat recipes. The link is:

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/local/index.html

There is a second page of low-cal recipes at the bottom and you can also hit "recipes" at the top of the page to access all recipes.

If anyone tries any of them pls let us know so we can all get ideas for what's good. I really love the recipes on the SF site as well....Mmmmm

Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Hey everyone. Thanks for all your recent updates and postings!
Happy Valentine's Day.
Last night I went to the grocery store and it was FULL of Valentine's Day junk. I saw a bunch of guys buying chocolates and flowers...how nice for them. I was tempted to buy a bunch of chocolate and eat it all before I even got home...but I stuck to my shopping list of mostly fruits and veggies. I'm going to have to stay AWAY from stores today, though. Chocolate still sounds mighty nice.
This morning my husband surprised me with a box of cookies (not chocolate) and a big carton of fresh strawberries! He knows I have been working hard on my diet, so he thought I would like the strawberries, and that I could probably eat a few cookies. He tried hard, and I am proud of him. One seving of cookies (3) is 140 calories, so I made a new plan for the day so that I can eat one serving (yes, only one) of cookies and strawberries this evening and still come in just under my 1500 calorie goal. It's really not hard if I plan for it.
Anyway, I hope you are all having a great day and successfully fighting the urge to binge on chocolate (or whatever it is that calls to you).
Today another pound bit the dust...

tleef
02-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

bethbeth: I hear you about the chocolate...mmmmm chocolate. I allow myself one 100 calorie bar of Cadbury dark chocolate about once a week so that's not that hard to work in. You're 100% right though, it's easy to have the occasional treat as long as you alter your day to allow for it. I think it's very sweet that you hubby bought you cookies and strawberries. It's such a bonus when the important people in our lives are on the same page as us and instead of resisting the healthy changes we are making they embrace them. I hear so many sad stories of loved ones that are not supportive or are downright mean. Imagine trying to lose weight and feel better about yourself and your lifestyle and having an SO or other close person try to sabotage it all the time. I can't imagine! My fiance tells me he loves me and thinks I'm sexy regardless of my size. But he also knows that I feel a whole lot better inside when I know I look good on the outside and is very supportive.

I haven't gotten anything for V-Day yet except for some cute text messages that prelude to a nice evening. Of course TOM arrived this morning :( but I was expecting Mother Nature so it wasn't too big of a shock. I also know that once she's made her visit I'll probably be down another pound or two. LOL

I hope everyone has a good evening with their loves (be it your SO, child, pet or just a good friend). Try to stay OP, but if you can't don't beat yourself up about it...tomorrow is another day and while we may not make the best choices on a day like today at least we know that all of our hard work will not be undone by one poor meal choice or a couple of chocolates.

Cheers, Tamara

jaxjob
02-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Happy Valentine's Day folks,

Well I had my valentine lunch with DH on Tuesday so won't be doing the romantic dinner tonight. But that means not overeating. I was down a little at TOPS this week but not a whole pound so not changing the ticker. Down is down though - good to be heading in the right direction again. I celebrated by buying a huge bag of frozen strawberries to put in my morning slimfast shakes - looking forward to that for tomorrow. Yum!

TOPS has become fun since Christmas too (not that I've been able to go much) with little "themes" each week. This week was about making good choices and keeping a diary. Nothing new but it's fun to do the little scenarios with others. I'm hosting in two weeks and will be dealing with food labels.

tamara and bethbeth - I also like dark chocolate! We often have a big bar in the fridge and I will allow myself one square after supper if the rest of the day has been on plan. It's a treat that is easily worked in and an incentive too. I find with the small bars that it's too easy to eat them all, I have to suck the bigger square and it lasts for a while.

didjaever - I can eat 1200 calories a day no problem in the summer when we grill every day. It doesn't seem so easy in the winter though when the selection of veggies and salad items is small.

shelby897 - remember that you'll probably drop your calorie level as you lose, so starting too low doesn't leave much leeway. You need something you can stick with later too - maintaining is so much harder as you are working to stay still, not buoyed by the scale movement!

That's it for today. The boys have come home loaded with candy and are now out playing in the snow. Gotta get supper moving...

Karen31
02-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Hello Everyone. Hope everybody had a Happy Valentine's Day. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Alli with the Slimfast? Just wondering if it might give a good jump start.

SunshineRunner
02-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Karen I keep Alli on hand for the days that I eat a meal out of the house..or one in the house that I feel has a little more fat content than I like...maybe once or twice a week if that...I do have some of those infamous side effects...how well it works? I don't know...but I do like to have it around.

Shelby Glad I could help by posting my plan. Seriously...it works for me and that's all I know. I do workout 5 days a week for 90-120 minutes at a time...I schedule that into my day so there is no getting around it.

Valentine's Day - was good - DBF actually went out of his way to surprise me by going to cookinglight.com and finding a low cal recipe for some very delish asian bbq - he even bought low sodium soy sauce as he knows how much I watch my sodium. Checked the scale this morning and didn't gain any weight...even though mom was kind enough to send over 4 mini chocolatier peanut butter cups that were too die for...I only had one...will space the remainder out over the next week or so.

Treated myself and paid for 3 personal training sessions at my gym ...had the first one yesterday for Vday - needless to say I am sore today...but think I spent $99 very well for the 3 sessions...I feel good about my workout today...of course...not sure how much weight lifting I will get in tonight as I may just do cardio to let myself relax. ;)

Okay...hope everyone had a great OP Vday!
~Amanda

tleef
02-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Well I had a very nice Valentine's Day. Had a wonderful Mexican dinner and then shopped for some new clothes since many of mine are getting pretty baggy. Then we had a mini cinnamon bun and I got my handmade valentine! Awww...so sweet. He went through my scrapbook stuff and made me the sweetest card, so much better than store bought and I can scrapbook it into a wonderful page. After all this will be the only Valentine's day that we spent as an engaged couple.

The scale gave me 196 this morning...which is huge, but I'm going to wait for official WI tomorrow morning to change my ticker. If I am indeed at that weight then holy smokes! What a great week!

I'm going to clean my house today and get all my laundry done so that I can bum around for the rest of the long-weekend (we Canadians...or Albertans anyhow get Monday off for Family Day). I work on Sunday but with today off I still get three days off! Woo Hoo! I'm going to run over and get a workout in before I get started on the house.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey Everybody!

Amanda~ Wow, you have a great husband!
Tamara~ Congratulations on dropping more weight...you are doing something right!
Shelby897~ I've been enjoying reading your posts. Keep us updated on your progres!

I had a nice Valentine's Day. My husband and I went out to dinner, which was fun. I ordered something smaller than normal, and didn't worry about going over my calorie limit for the day since I've had such a great week. Since we went out for dinner I didn't open the cookies he gave me. I'll do that tonight for a Friday night treat. I'll share them with him :)
I'm hoping for some decent weather this weekend so I can go on some nice walks! I am so excited about having a 3 day weekend. I'm looking forward to extra sleep, watching some movies, and getting outside.
Have a nice weekend everyone!
Beth

aprilcp12344
02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
So this week has really blown.

Fridy around 10am I had to rush my BF to the ER.

He's 19 years old and has a collapsed lung.

Thankfully the great doctor we had was able to reinflate it. And he should make a full recovery. A long one though. We have been here since Friday and won't be leaving until probably Tuesday. The nurses are nice and let me stay over night in this amazingly uncomfotable chair.

With all the stress I lost 3 pounds in less then 24 hours. Which I know is not good. I've barely made 1000 calories all weekend. The stress is making me to sick to even eat. I'm not even hungry anyway.

I just want to take him back home, and out of this hospital.

Do my diet is needless to say, out the window for the time being. I am watching what I eat(when I eat) but I'm not even bothering to count calories because I know I am in the low , really low, range.

Oh and I went home to shower... Our fridge, well the outlit it was pluged into, died. So there goes all the diet food, meats, and everything else. That doesn't really bother me anyway. I love grocery shopping anyway.

Im glad no one else has had a crappy week. I hope it stays that way.\

I will check in later on, seeing his brother brought me his computer to use while I'm here with him. I'm not leaving until he does.

Have a Happy Monday tomorrow!!

bargoo
02-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your boyfriend, hope he will soon recover.Don't stress about your diet, just do the best you can.

tleef
02-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Good morning ladies!

I'm at work today (my part-time job), but it's a long weekend here and Sundays are always slow so I have lots of time to check out 3FC and some other sites that have great recipes etc.

April: So sorry to hear about DBF. I really hope that things are ok and that he gets to come home soon. I know how much I dislike being in the hospital wether it's as a patient or visiting. Definately not the funnest place to spend a weekend. Don't stress about your diet, you have other much more pressing things to worry about. Just be careful that you don't let yourself get into a tailspin once DBF is home. I find after a couple of days of not eating properly (especially when it's staying really under on my calories) it's really easy to overeat and then I beat myself up over it. Take care of yourself and try to eat some easy things that will give you some fibre and protein (SF bars are terrific for this) so that you're not starving your body of what it needs to feel nourished.

beth: I'm glad to hear that you had a nice Valentine's day with DH. How did you do with the cookies on Friday night? I was off plan yesterday as I went out for dinner with a friend that I haven't seen in 10 years! It was great and I was pretty careful not to overeat, but I didn't limit myself to anything and I had a couple drinks.

manda/jax/didjaever: How are things goin with you girls?

I picked up my wedding gown yesterday and I'm absolutely thrilled! It's so beautiful. I had originally tried on an 18 and it had fit like a glove so I ordered a 16 because I knew I'd be smaller by the wedding. It's a fantastic fit and I love it in the stark white (I'd tried it on in Ivory). I don't have my first fitting for 6 weeks and I'm determined to be down minimum 10lbs by then. I am going to aim for another 15-20 from April 1 - June 1 as well and because the dress is a corset back it should be fine. I'm very excited to have it now though...it's just one more thing out of the way and one step closer to being ready for this event! LOL So much work!

Cheers,
Tamara

tleef
02-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Well ladies...how was everyone's long-weekend?

I had a nice weekend. Got lots of stuff accomplished. I've decided that I'm going to try the Fat-Smash Diet for the next couple of months. I'm still planning on using the SF site to track my daily intake, but I'm going to see if this plan will help me to drop a little faster for the wedding. I guess it's a 90 day plan, which is fantastic for me as our wedding is 103 days away!

I'm going to start tomorrow, but I'll definately come back to this thread and let everyone know how it's going and see how everyone here is doing with their plan.

I fully intend to get back to the SF plan after the wedding (if I can manage to stay on the FSD for the full 90 days) to continue on to my goal weight (hopefully by the end of 2008).

Has anyone here tried it? Hope everyone is doing well.

Have a great day,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Everyone!

April~ I'm sorry to hear about your tough week. I hope things will get back to normal soon.

Tamara~ It's so exciting to hear about your wedding dress. I'm sure it's beautiful, and that YOU will be beautiful in it. I just got married 7 months ago, so I know how exciting dress fittings are! I felt like a princess!
Let us know how Fat Smash is going for you. I hope it will work well for you!

Nothing too new about me to say. My jeans are getting too big. This weekend I was joking about them with my husband and he called me "skinny girl." I said, "What did you call me?" He told me that since my jeans were too big, I must be skinny. I don't think I'm anywhere near "skinny" yet, but I do feel smaller than I was a few months ago!

SunshineRunner
02-20-2008, 08:50 AM
April I'm soooooo sorry for your rough week. Cheer up - things have to get better from here! Keep us updated on how Dbf is doing...and yourself...but focus on your family first!

Tamara Fat Smash! I've never done it, don't know the principles behind it....but I hope it gets you where you are headed for your big day! I'm just not good at being restricted by dieting rules...unless I create them..soo..I'd blow that sucker big time...but that's just me...good luck! But check in with us often!!!!

Beth I know about the jeans getting too big - my DBF tells me how thin I am getting and was when I was at your weight too...I think he did it for encouragement...but also any weight loss made me look thinner and that was a good thing! Keep on track and keep on getting smaller - it is fabulous! Just remember to shop the clearance racks for new clothes - seriously...I have been going thru sizes about once a month for the past 3 months...down to a 12 that isn't tight at all anymore...can't wait til I'm an 8 because then I'll know I'm home :)

As for me...not too much going on. Thinking about spending a weekend at not my beach but another beach about an 90 minutes north of me (Cocoa Beach) just for the **** of it and renting a nice hotel room with a friend...we'll see how I feel...because I have my Kmart weigh in on Saturday and can't do that until noon...I wouldn't be able to get out of town until then....but it could still be nice and relaxing. I have 2 new bikini's...yup...that's right..bikini's and I'm loving them. My butt is a little ucky looking in them...but I'll survive...I actually didn't vomit at the photos I took in them (to see if it was reasonable to be seen in them) which is good news....well..I'm out...hope everyone is doing well and/or better!

tleef
02-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Well I officially started the Fat Smash this morning. I think the caffeine withdrawal might kill me! :( I have a horrible headache already and the day has just started.

I had a big bowl of plain oatmeal topped with fat-free vanilla yogurt and fresh strawberries at 6am. The rest of my day looks like this:

10am - 4 Egg Whites topped with Homemade salsa

1pm - Homemade Vegetable Rice Soup

3pm - Fresh mixed Veggies w/ dip (dip is plain yogurt with herbs/spices)

6pm - 1 Cup Brown Rice & 1-1/2 Cups Homemade Veggie Chilli w/ beans

8pm - Apple

It seems like a whole lot of food and it's going to be interesting to see what it's like to live vegetarian for 9 days. I had to cook like a maniac last night and made the veggie chilli and the veggie rice soup as well as chopping all the stuff for the salsa. I made sure I had everything ready to go for the oatmeal this morning so I could just pop it on the stove and feed the birds while it cooked. I got up a little earlier, but it was still a stretch as I'm so used to just having a SF shake in the mornings.

We'll see how it goes...I'm hoping for 5lbs in the first 9 days and then I'll evaluate it again. I get coffee and meat back on day 10 as well as cold cereals (it's going to be hard to eat so much oatmeal for 9 days). I have some recipes to make oatmeal into granola, pancakes, muffins and cookies so I'm going to experiment with those this weekend.

I'll let you know how I make out with the sugar/coffee/meat withdrawal! LOL I'm not used to something so restrictive, but I'm going to try and do it for the 9 days. I have a friend that wants to try the wild rose cleans, but I don't know if I'll be up for it. After all I'm basically already eating the foods on the WR, just not taking the supplements.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Good morning!
Yesterday I just wanted to eat EVERYTHING. It wasn't even my TOM.
I did eat several things that were off my plan, going over my 1500 calorie limit by about 500. I also skipped out on my exercise. Oops.
Today part of me wants to jump back in the game and have a great food and exercise day, and another part wants to just eat whatever I want again today, as I'm feeling like I'm not going to make my goal for the week so why try? Grrr.
I wrote down everything I plan to eat today and the exercise I plan to do. We'll see if I can stick to it. My head somehow just got out of diet mode. Do you know what I mean?
Anyway, let us know how you're doing. Don't let us lose track of you.
Beth

Karen31
02-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi Beth, I know how you feel.... I've been like that for quite awhile but so far I haven't gained anything so that is a good thing. It just seems when I go to bed at night I have my day planned for the next day until I get up! But I have reset my weight to start over on the slimfast site tomorrow. I like to have Fridays as my weigh in. Today I am really trying to completely stick to my plan and get some exercise in too! Other than housework!!

Tamara, I don't know if I would be able to do the Fat Smash at all. I'm anxious to hear reports on how you are doing. Good luck to you.

Amanda, WOW! you are talking about spending the weekend on the beach and we're still shoveling snow!! We're supposed to get another 2 to 4 inches of snow tonight. It sure isn't good weather to have when you are hoping to have people come to look at the house! But I kind of have a "good feeling" that maybe we can get the house sold and moved back to MO. during the month of March! At least I have my fingers crossed!

April, sorry to hear abour your DBF. I hope things are much better now. Be sure to come and let us know.

Well, guess I'd better step away from the computer ---- otherwise the day will get away from me and I won't get done what I want to!

Everybody have a good day and I'll chec back in later.

didjaever
02-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Tamara: Congrats on your wedding dress!! You will have to post pictures after the wedding!!

Something doesn't seem right to me this week. For the past 3 weeks, I haven't lost anything and this past week, I am feeling bloated and it is not TOM. I am actually going to step up my calorie counter to 1400. I cannot lose my SF choc. royale shake for breakfast but I may switch my choc. chip granola bar to dinner and eat a sensible lunch for a week and see how things go.

didjaever
02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Tamara: Do you see yourself being able to incorporate SF back into the plan??

tleef
02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
OK...SO I'M A FAT SMASH FAILURE! LOL :o

I lasted a whole 7.5 hours and then gave up. I wanted a coffee and some crackers so bad that I said to heck with it...well actually here's what happened.

I ate my lunch and all the other stuff this morning and by 1pm I felt like my head was made of lead. I was having crazy cravings (never had those on SF) and so I called SO and almost started crying! His response was "Why are you putting yourself through **** when you've done so incredibly well on SF and you enjoyed what you were eating (so did he!...LOL)" So I realized he's right and while the Fat Smash looks good on paper and the results in the first 9 days are supposed to be 5-15lbs lost (is that really sustainable though???), it seems to be a quick fix and I'm looking for a healthy lifestyle that includes regular food and NO restrictions. If I want chocolate, I'm gonna have chocolate by golly! I'll fix it into my day, but I'm not going to deny myself and feel deprived.

I've lost 30lbs on the SF plan so far...and while it's a nice, easy 1-2lbs a week that is what they say is sustainable and healthy right? So I'm going to continue with the food I have with me today but I already had a cup of coffee and I think I may have some peanuts with yogurt this evening. Even with all of that I think I'm still about 200 calories under my 1500 for the day. I put all the food info into the SF site today and with all the food I mentioned earlier I would have only been about 1100 calories for the day. IMHO that's much too low for me to be able to sustain! Anyow I hope you don't all think I'm a failure and I'm still 100% on plan so tomorrow I'm back to my beloved Chocolate Royal Shakes and MOG bars! Yeah! :cheer:

Beth:I know how you feel. When TOM is close I'm a mess. But I just make sure that I make allowances for some fries (my downfall) or some chocolate or whatever. Just don't let one or two days turn into weeks and then start gaining, etc. It's a mean cycle and so easy to fall into. Keep your chin up and try one of my favorite "cheats"...1 x 100 calorie bag of smart pop and 1 x 100 calorie chocolate bar (only 200 total) or sweet potatoe fries with some dijon/sour cream/lime juice dip. Maybe one of those will do the trick for you and you'll still be OP.

Karen:I hope that you'll come back on board with us. The more of us that support each other the better!

didjaever:I have that bloating problem every once in a while with SF. I'm not sure what causes it but I make an effort to increase my fibre and eat lots of fruit which helps to "get things moving" if ya get my meaning. I also find that once I get over that stumble sometimes I'm down as much as 2-3lbs. Don't lose faith and keep in mind sometimes it's just a matter of INCREASING your calories for a couple of days or increasing your exercise. Exercise will also help with the bloating. Hope that helps.

Everyone remember! One Day Doesn't Undo All Of Your Hard Work! It's One Day That Turns Into A Week That Turns Into A Month...and so on. If you have an off plan day, just move on and make every attempt to get back OP the next day!

WE CAN SO DO THIS! ! ! :cheer: GO US!

Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Tamara~
Welcome back!
No, I don't think you are a failure, I think you are smart. Going for a quick loss sounds good, but in the long run probably isn't. My eyes have been wandering to some other things too, but I don't think I could do them. I can't be restricted too much, like you said. I know if I restrict everything, I will crash and burn and probably end up gaining more than I lost.
Anyway, I'm glad you're back with us! And I'm glad you have a SO that is smart and knows you.

jaxjob
02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi folks,

didjaever - I've been stagnant too. For me - TOM has been weird this month (perimenopause approaching, I think) and has been probably part of it, but not all. Food has been good - plan-wise, but I've been up and down in small amounts on the home scale. No TOPS this week since all the boys are home but we'll see how it's going next week. Sometimes I find the weight loss journey effortless and other times it's like walking uphill into a gale. Not sure why but you'll persevere and see those results.

Tamara - you can always incorporate some of the Fat Smash ideas into your slimfast plan if they seem to make sense. You are not a failure - you've lost lost lots of weight in the last few months! I know how it feels to want to mix things up a little - I did that last year when flirting with the Sonoma diet. Although it was more successful for me, I do find I do best on the less restrictive style of slimfast. I do eat most of my meals Sonoma-style though so it was a good diversion.

Karen - I find my day plan is stuck to until mid-morning, then I get distracted by something much of the time. I just have to get to it!! Exercise hasn't been great since the boys have the room downstairs in a huge mess.

Well for me it's been a slow week - the boys are home from school which changes routine etc. Generally I've been eating well though and it's been warm and light enough to have the BBQ out which always helps with healthy eating. So I'm feeling good about my plan even if the scale is slow.

take care all,

didjaever
02-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Tamara: Glad you decided to ax the Smash... it doesn't seem too realistic to me... Us SF'ers have to stick together....

tleef
02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
beth: I'm very fortunate that my SO is so supportive. He says he thinks I look great already, but it's about how I feel and he understands that. He's great though...I can be like "Hey, I'm going to try this super restrictive plan and eat only vegetarian for 9 days" and he's like "OK...is there anything I can do to help", but when I feel bad for not succeeding he just tells me I'm doing great and that he'll support me no matter what I do as long as I'm happy. That's why I'm marrying him! LOL

LOL didjaever! Agreed! :hug:

jax: Nice to see you posting again. Sounds like you have lots going on. I hope things settle down for you soon. The funny thing about the Fat Smash is that I already use most of the principals. I already eat loads of fruits/veggies, lean proteain, low-fat dairy and whole grains! I see now that it was just a super restrictive way of doing what I'm already doing.

On FS I would have only been consuming about 1000-1150 per day which IMO is much too low. I can consistently lose at 1500 so why the heck would I restrict myself that much! I'll tell you why...because just like so many Weight Loss "Programs" they tell you that you can lose XX number of lbs in this short of a time. It's why the "diet" industry is a multi-billion $$ industry. What I've learned is that there is sustainable weight loss done in a healthy manner without "Off Limit Foods/Drinks" and then there are the quick fix plans that restrict what you eat (not necissarily the amounts of food but the types). I do best when I can eat chocolate when I want it and just count it into my day. It's good to know that at 1500 calories I can drop if I hit a plateau or when I get smaller and need to fluctuate my intake to keep losing. At 1000 calories a day...there is nowhere to go.

I'm also making myself a promise to begin my Yoga Booty Ballet. I've been slacking off and only working out 3x a week at Curves so I'm going to up my toning workouts in a bid to look fantastic in my wedding dress for June 1.

Thanks for all the support everyone. I hope you all have a terrific day!

Cheers,
Tamara

southerndeb
02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
:) Hi SFers! I popped in a month ago and popped out. I'm back for good now. I have managed to lose 5lbs over the last month and kept it off. Not a big loss but I will take it.

Thank you for your welcome back in Jan. I look forward to the support.

A little about me- I do follow the SF plan. 2 shakes, snacks, and one meal (vegetarian):broc:. I exercise 2 days a week - plan to work up to 5 days. I need to lose 50-60lbs. I live in TN. Married with 1 child. Work part time, self employeed.

Wishing everyone a great weekend. I will check in next week.
Deb

tleef
02-22-2008, 04:37 PM
:welcome: back southerndeb! We're always glad to have one more slim-faster on board!

Congratulations on a 5lbs loss in one month. That is a nice healthy, sustainable weight loss. There are some terrific vegetarian recipes on the SF site and I have a couple that were on the old site before they revamped it but I had them printed. Let me know if you would like any of them and I'll start a SF Recipe thread.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi everybody.

Hi Deb! Nice to meet you!

Well, I'm a little dissapointed today. Only lost 1 pound this week and was hoping for 2. I know, I need to stay positive, and know that ANY loss is a good loss. But without putting up a -2 for the week, I'm not sure I'll make my birthday goal next week, as I still need -3 pounds by next Friday. But I'm trying to stay positive and work hard to stay on track this weekend. Who knows what could happen!

Anyway, hope you all have nice weekend on plan!
Beth

bethbeth
02-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Me again, ha ha!
I've been thinking and have decided that I am going to increase my calories per day from 1500 to 1600 for a week and see how it goes. I've read so many people on this website who say they increased their calories and lost weight. I also feel like my body maybe needs a little more than what it's getting. So...that's my plan, I'm going to bump up to 1600 starting tomorrow. We'll see how it goes! :)

jaxjob
02-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Tamara - I'm sure the low calories are what gets people off to a quick start on these diets. I remember when I did wave 1 of Sonoma, I was still tracking things with fitday at the time and the first few days were often sub-1000 calories. Sure I lost 8lbs - and didn't feel hungry, 'cos I was eating lots of veggies, but it's not sustainable. Plus if you are already on the weight loss journey you likely don't get the big water loss that generally happens at the beginning, so it's not as great a jump. Still, we know the slimfast works for you since you've done so well to date.

bethbeth - one of the reasons I don't like dated goals is that we beat ourselves up so much when we fail to meet them, if only by a few days. Realistically you'll still be doing awesome to hit that mark at the beginning of March too. :carrot:

Deb - welcome back, I too haven't been around for a while but have hopped back on the wagon after running alongside for a few weeks now. Good to see so many posts here!

Amanda - the beach, huh? Well not warm enough for bikinis yet and I'm thinking even when at goal I don't want to be baring that stomach - too many stretch marks for my liking, after three kids and carrying the extra weight for so long. A nice cute one-piece is more to my liking! But at least I feel more confident in a swimsuit now, although there's a way to goal still. I actually had to buy a new one last summer as my size 14 was falling off! Woo hoo.

Well today was a good day until the boys asked me to bake cookies. I "only" ate two but still more than today's plan.:devil::devil: I'll change supper around a bit to compensate.

Snuggles to all,

SunshineRunner
02-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Ugh. Monday. I'm so tired from my weekend at the beach. I drank a ton, ate a ton (healthy foods though - protein and veggies for the most part) and just overall had lots of fun. I am however exhausted as can be imagined. I actually came home last night and passed out at 9pm (I'm slightly insomniatic...so before 12am is odd for me) and got up for work at 6am...still tired. I didn't get nearly enough sleep this weekend...but a good time was had.

Drumroll please - even though I drank a lot this weekend...I continued to drop...down another 1lb to 170! That means I just have to do a little more work to reach my Feb. goal of being in the 160's! Exciting. The weight has really felt like it is just dropping off lately. I mean...I don't really ever go off plan (except for fun weekends like I just had...but I'm not into deprivation..soo...)and I exercise 5 nights a week....so I guess it's just all about my lifestyle anymore. I hear all the horror stories about the last few pounds being so difficult...I feel like it was the first few pounds. I mean...granted...I still have 15 to go...but hey...I haven't had major troubles up to this point...no plateaus (thank you!) etc....I overall feel really good about my weightloss journey. Okay..enough raving...onto everyone else...

Jax - it's been FOREVER! Sorry to hear it hasn't been the greatest month for you :( I know you have good times and bad times with this journey...are you working out at all these days? I mean..aside from keeping up with family and kids which although I'm not experienced with...I know must keep you really crazy!!!

Beth - I originally started out at 1200 calories and did an increase to 1400 calories about 2-3 months ago...I did not have any issues with the switch over and have steadily lost anywhere from 1-3lbs per week by keeping at 1400 calories. The fun part with my plan is that even if I go off track like I did this weekend ...I continue to lose because my body responds well to taking in over 1400 calories every now and then...which to me is it telling me it enjoys the change. :)

Tamara - glad to hear you are over the smashing. While I try not to knock other diets....I just could never be so restrictive with my lifestyle. Seriously...low carb would kill me...do not tell me I can't have something. I just can't forsee myself living a life without something - no sugar?? argh! I'd go insane...I wouldn't have a clue what doesn't have sugar in it??!?!? I just think its way to much work and life should be enjoyed more simply :) Keep doing what you've been doing and you'll be at wedding goal in no time. I'm sooo happy that you are out of the 200's forEVER!!!

SouthernDeb - welcome!!! Check back as often as you can - I find sooo much support here and new ideas all the time to improve my diet. Reminders to get in the right nutrients etc. I would not be where I am now without this group of fab ladies.

Didjaever - I just figured out how to say your s/n! Ha :) Good one! In any case..I highly rec. stepping your calorie counts up to 1400. Like I said to Beth - I started out at 1200 and increased to 1400 2-3 months ago and have just continued to lose steadily and did not see any weight gain from the increase in calories. Some days I do have to fight to get in all my calories - but that is mainly because of the foods I eat. I eat high fiber foods and those tend to be lower in calories (fiber is apparently calorie free...so..higher fiber = fewer calories) sooo...long story short...I average probably 1350 calories per day...but I aim to get as close to 1400 as I can each day. I log all my food into thedailyplate.com - I love it. What does your daily food intake consist of? I started out using all the SF products - shakes, meal bars, snack bars..etc...but now I only use the shakes (I actually have got to ditch the other products off on someone else before they go bad) and fill up on other items that have the fiber & protein that I aim to get into my diet each day. Post a sample of your day and maybe we will all give you some ideas.

Karen - snow - yuck! I am not in the least bit jealous of everyone who lives in the snowy areas. Cocoa Beach was beautiful this weekend. The getaway was perfect and I had a great time. It was cloudy...but we had fun nonetheless. Selling your house? I sell real estate for a living...I can't imagine selling it up north cause I hear that house shopping isn't very prominent this time of year...of course...selling here during the summer can be brutal..getting in and out of cars in the heat is awful...but I'm not your normal realtor - I wear flip flops and jeans to work in and if you don't like it...then move on...but I'm successful selling that way...so I guess it's good to be an "everyday" type of realtor...instead of the business suit type...plus....it's a helluva lot more comfy!

April - how are things going? How is the DBF? I Hope everything is better - my fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery.

Well...I think I did enough writing for one day...or one morning...talk to you all soon and make it a great week!
~Amanda

AnnCan1111
02-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi all reading your posts, I think I should up my calories, as I seem to have stalled in my weight loss and I am eating between 1100-1200 calories. I bought some slimfast and snacks, for those of you who have been following slimfast what works best to start slimfast? Would you recommend the powder or the liquid cans? Please help.
Thanks

didjaever
02-25-2008, 09:48 AM
gator:

I actually am down 2 more pounds since increasing my calorie intake last week. I am averaging around 1350-1400 per day. I am not going to change my ticker until the end of the week though. I went to a bday party yesterday and had a slice of pizza and a slice of bday cake...another small slice when I got home but I planned for this most of the week, so I think it will be ok.

I still going to remain faithful to SF. I have a choc. royale shake for BF and a choc chip granola bar for lunch...an afternoon snack...sensible dinner...evening snack. I stopped buying the SF snacks because they were higher in calories than something else I could choose...

My downfall now is almonds... I bought a pound of them thinking I would use these for a small snack and eat 5 or 6 a day but I cannot stop before 20 or more... I am thinking about tossing them in the trash.

Karen31
02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Good Morning! Amanda your weekend sounds WONDERFUL!! And all that enojoyment and still down a pound!:carrot: Congrats! We did show the house on Friday but still haven't heard anymore. But today is only Monday. I think I would be like you if I were in real estate---- I have never known why most dress up to much! I would rather be comfortable.

didjaever, Congrats on your 2 pounds loss too! :bravo: That is great! I really like the chocolate royale shake too. I have that every morning. And at lunch I like to have the french vanilla and put a cup of strawberries in the blender and make a smoothie! YUMMY!!

Anncann, I use the powder shakes but I'm home all the time. I do take the ready to drink cans when going on vacation. I just like the convenience. For a long time our grocery store up here in the mountains didn't carry chocolate royale so I bought the milk chocolate instead, but it isn't as good I don't think. BUT we finally got a Super Wal-mart this past Fall!! So now I have more to choose from.

Tamara, I'm with everyone else, I don't think that I would be able to do the smashing. I think that is why I like SF so much. I kind of like knowing what I'm going to have to eat for 2 meals out of the day but don't know if I could handle everything being completely planned out for me! With the SF there is some freedom there!

jaxjob, I'm really trying this week to get a exercise routine going of something. I have the ab lounge, a mini tramp, treadmill and a gazelle so I should be able to get a mini circuit going here at home!

bethbeth, try not to be so disappointed with one pound---:hug: I always look at it that is one less that needs to be gone! I know I would love to lose 2 or 3 a week but sometimes it doesn't happen that way. For the last several weeks I've been up and down with the same 2 pounds! :(

Hi deb, Welcome back. I'm still new here too but I've found this to be a pretty good group and lots of support!

Well, guess I'd better get busy. Have a good day everyone!

bethbeth
02-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey, it's great to hear from you all!

I have a few things to brag about from this weekend:
--my husband just HAD to stop at Taco Bell for dinner on our way home from running errands, which is my FAVORITE place to eat. I chose not to eat anything, and just watched him eat. I ate when we got home.
--My husband and I played tennis. It was kinda fun.
--I went jogging twice! I usually hate running, but somehow I felt inspired to do it, so figured I should go with it.
--Stayed on plan all weekend. (I ususally cheat a little on the weekend)
--Down another pound!

Amanda~ Great news. It's nice to be able to have fun and still lose!

AnnCan~ Nice to meet you! I actually haven't tried the powder stuff, just use the cans, bars, and every once in awhile a snack bar. I'm shooting for 1500-1600 calories right now, and doing good. I try to get a lot of fruits and veggies every day too. Hope you'll stick around and keep posting!

Talk to you all again soon!
Beth

tleef
02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Good Morning Ladies!

Well another week with no loss...still holding at 199. I guess this is my first plateau. Darn it! Oh well I've increased my exercise big time and have started using my stationary bike at home again. Hopefully that will boost things and I'll be able to report a loss when I WI on Saturday. Perhaps I'll do the opposite of what everyone else is doing and drop my calories to 1300 for the week and see what happens. I'm not going to get discouraged because I know that this is how it goes and eventually I'll start dropping again. I still have 3 months until the wedding so I won't get too worked up about it.

Karen: According to your ticker you're doing fabulously dahhhling!

didjaever: You're doing so great! Keep up the good work! :carrot: Sounds like the almonds may be an issue for you. I find when there is something like that that I have a hard time keeping portions with I make individual snack bags with ONE portion in each and I freeze all the portions. Then I have to thaw them (they usually don't taste as good frozen...LOL) so I find I only eat the portion I've thawed. Maybe try that as I know how expensive nuts can be so to throw out a bag would be a bummer.

AnnCann: I find that one of the best things to do when starting SF is to go onto the SF.com website and sign up. That gives you a meal plan that is easy to follow and you can substitute things that you don't like for things that you do like or even things that you just happen to have in the house. I usually have a shake for breakfast and then a MOG bar and either a sandwich & fruit or yogurt and peanuts for lunch. I usually try to have fruit/veggies and protein for snacks (apple & peanut butter, strawberries & string cheese, dry roasted peanuts & raisins, etc) I have found that the website is a terrific tool and even if I don't want to use SF products for a meal I can at least get the general idea of what I'm supposed to have as far as nutrition goes for each snack or meal. I also log all of my exercise and water intake on the site. I love that I can look back over the last 7 days and see if I'm too low on my fibre intake or protein of whatever...that helps to keep me on track. You'll find lots of terrific recipes as well. I also find that the folks on this forum really help to keep me on track and accountable...the support is amazing!

gatoramanda: You're also doing really well. Congrats on another pound gone forever! I've had weekends like that as well when I ate off plan and still lost a pound or so. I find that every once in a while upping your calories (especially if it's not with "junk") will boost my loss. Keep up the fantastic work!

jax: Good job on only eating two cookies! I figure as long as it fits in the plan and you can compensate with more veggies at dinner and a reduced starch or something then Great! I'm a big believer that in order for a lifestyle to work you can't deny yourself a goodie now and then. That's why it's so ridiculous that I even attempted the Fat Smash. The idea of going without bread/sugar/coffee even just for 9 days was just too much! I much prefer to work in a treat now and then.

beth: Don't get too worried about meeting your birthday goal. ANY LOSS IS BETTER THAN NO LOSS AT ALL and you're doing terrific! I think it may be just what you need to up your intake for a week or so and see what happens. It's good to have goals, but if you're only a couple pounds off your goal of 10 or whatever...you're still that much better off and lighter and healthier than you were when you started. Congratulate yourself when your birthday comes for being a year older and a year wiser/healthier!

I was totally thrilled yesterday whe I grocery shopped and found the Vitalicious muffins in the freezer case at Safeway. I had seen on the Cdn website that Safeway and Shoppers were going to start carrying them. It's just such a pain to have to order online by the case! I bought the Deep Chocolate muffins and they're outstanding. I had one last night as a snack. 100 calories/6 g Fiber/3 g protein and YUMMY chocolate! For those that don't know about them the websites are: USA www.vitalicious.com Cdn www.vitalicious.ca I can't wait until they start carrying more of the products. I'm also curious if Penny's low fat dessert will ever bring their products to Canadian shelves...also Fiber Gourmet Pasta. I'd like to try both before I commit to buying entire cases!

Anyhow back to work. Everyone have a terrific day!

Cheers,
Tamara

dgramie
02-25-2008, 02:09 PM
hello everyone.
guess you could say im a part time slimfaster. I keep it on hand for days when i dont have time to eat right. Or when i need that extra energy i get from them.
I lost 90lbs a few years ago doing slimfast. I used the website daily. But as we know if you stop doing something and go back to old habits the weigh comes back.
I am counting calories and use slimfast. I usually have 3or 4 shakes a week.
I am on week 5 and have lost 16lbs. I lost 10 the first week.
As for the almond addiction I can totally relate...someone had told me I needed more fiber and protien so i added an ounce of almonds in the afternoon. I could eat the whole can!!!! I have stopped buying them until I can control myself better with them.
I am eating around 14-1500 calories a day..some days less some days a bit more.
Slimfast is a good way to loose weight...
debi

AnnCan1111
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Hello everyone, thanks for the warm welcome and the great ideas. I think I will eat around 1500 cal at first and go from there.
This does seem like such a supportive site. You all seem to be doing really well. Congratulations.
Thanks again for all the great info.
Have an awesome day.

didjaever
02-25-2008, 02:35 PM
AnnCan: I use the cans only because of convenience and they seem to be thicker and taste better to me. I drink a can while driving to work in the morning...

bethbeth
02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
I LOVE almonds too! They're one of my new favorite snacks. When I bring them home from the grocery store I put them in baggies of 1 serving each. That way I know how many calories I'm getting and I don't eat the whole can. It's working great for me!

SunshineRunner
02-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Tamara - I'm jealous that you have vitalicious in stores near you! We don't have them around us (for that matter...no healthy stores at all or bigger retailers that carry them)....as for fiber gourmet pasta - I ordered it - I have the short cuts - got a whole case of them...let me tell you...and we all know I am a fiber addict..but this is a LOT of fiber....you have to be careful to eat only 1 serving (2oz) or you may be in trouble the next day...but the good news is that it doesn't weigh you down & is really good tasting...much better than whole wheat pasta....also - you can order the flavored ones and order as few as 3 bags....I just did that but haven't tasted them yet....I've just found that I'm not eating nearly as much pasta as I used to...which is good I guess.. :)

Well..I'm off to bed...until tomorrow!
~A

didjaever
02-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Are raw almonds really 160 calories for 1 oz??? That seems like a very high snack to me.

tleef
02-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Good morning...and cheers to the fact that it is NO LONGER Monday! LOL

I hope everyone had a terrific evening. I have to say I'm really enjoying this walking every evening with the SO and the dog. Used to be that SO walked the dog just around the neighborhood, but we have one of the best pathways systems in Canada in our city and we also live about a 5 minute drive from a really nice park that not only has great pathways but also a lagoon on one side and our biggest river on the other. This is where many of the Canadian Geese set up their nesting grounds and there are a ton of Mallard Ducks as well. It's neat becuase we've been walking just around the time that all the Geese are coming to roost on and near the river for the night. It's so amazing to watch whole flocks of them landing on the water. The noise level is incredible. We also saw a herd of white-tailed deer and that was pretty cool. They're so darn cute when they all pop their heads up at once and look at you with those beautiful eyes...I wouldn't want to mess with one but they seem to keep their distance (they were about 20 feet away) as long as we have the dog with us and keep to the pathway. I missed aquasize last night, but we did have that one hour walk so not too bad. We're talking about packing a lunch and walking from a city park to downtown this weekend...it's about a four hour walk, but like I said we have amazing pathways and most of them run along the river so it's really beautiful.

Anyhow...enough about Tamara the Nature Lover...LOL

gatoramanda: I really liked the deep chocolate muffins...really yummy. I love that so many companies are coming up with 70-100 calorie packs of stuff. However, that being said, things like Vitalicious are so much better for you than any of the say...Christie treats. It's nice to have Doritos or Oreos once in a while but in the grand scheme of things not all 100 calorie treats are created equally. The Doritos and things like that still have all that "bad" stuff in them. It's nice that Vitalicious and Penny's Low Fat D's are actually good for you, with fiber, low carbs/sugar alcohols and no "hydrogenated....high-fructose....blah, blah, blah". I'm really anxious to try the Fiber gourmet pasta. I know that SO absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt DOES NOT GET ENOUGH FIBER! LOL I'm a little low sometimes and I'm sure DD is as well. I'm ok with limiting my portion to a single, but it would be nice to mix it with regular for the rest of the family to up their fiber intake. I also found on the Hungry Girl site (www.hungry-girl.com)....which I've just discovered and absolutely LOVE...another pasta that is very "healthy lifestyle" friendly. It's called House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles (only 20 calories per serving!). If you go to the HG website and type pasta into their search engine and then read the link called "HG Food Fight - Guilt Free Pasta", it's pretty interesting. I love this new site and I get their emails daily now. I'm jealous that you have the FG pasta! LOL Now we can be envious of each other! Ha!

Anyhow I looked at my 7 day average on my SF tools online and see that I'm averaging about 1400 so we'll see if that combined with upping my exercise will help me to drop lower in the 190's. I've got this idea that if I can be 180 for the wedding it would be fantastic. If I don't get there I won't beat myself up as that is almost 20lbs in 3 months...but with the right food and a good amount of exercise I can get there or darn close!

bethbeth: We're totally on the same page with how to keep portions controlled. If there is something that I love I have to separate it into individual portions as soon as I get it home (thank goodness for Saran press & seal) or else it's just too much of a temptations to eat three portions at a sitting instead of one!

didjaever: I keep a six pack of the cans in my fridge for morning when I'm running too late to make a shake or if I'm low on MOG bars. They're super convenient and I love the Choc. Royale canned....it's so creamy and tasty!

AnnCann: Many of us have been doing SF for a while or have done it in the past. I did it years ago and lost about 30lbs...but then I stopped and maintained for quite a while, but McDonalds and other poor food choices put the weight back on. The old SF was so restrictive that it didn't allow a user to learn how to eat without the products. Now you can substitute any meal on the SF meal plan for "real food" although many of us enjoy the convenience of the products and so we use them in a pinch. It's also a good way to start off as everything is done for you and there is limited prep. I hope you'll continue on your journey with us as this is a terrific group with good ideas, good resources and a commitment to change their lives and get healthy!

debimitch: A few of us are in the same boat with stopping and resorting to old habits. But here we are and we're serious about getting healthy with the added bonus of slimming our waistlines! It's awesome that you lost 10lbs in your first week, but keep in mind that was probably a lot of water weight. Things should slow down and regulate in the next couple of weeks and you should start losing a nice sustainable 1-2lbs per week. 1500 Calories is the plan I'm on although I've dropped to 13-1400 this week to see if I can break the plateau I seem to be having at 199lbs. I hope you too will stay with us and we can all offer each other support when things seem like they're not working or it gets hard. We also all need a kick in the butt every once in a while and that can be a really good thing.

Hope everyone has an awesome day.

I was thinking...should we have an official WI day? We can start a thread and then every....what?...Wednesday....Friday...lets choose one. We can all weigh in on that thread. I don't change my ticker until I see a loss for more than one day on the scale so sometimes my ticker isn't as accurate as it could be. This will help us all be on the same page as far as accountability to each other....what say you girls???

Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi!

didjaever- Yeah, 1 oz of almonds are 160-170 calories, which seems like a lot, but I think is worth it. They have a lot of protein and kill my craving for a salty snack without eating something horrible like chips. I have also read some research that links eating almonds with weight loss. I don't know if I believe it all, but it was interesting. You can try to google almonds and weight loss and see if you can find it.

Tamara~ I'd be up for a weigh in thread. We could start 2 new threads for March (which is only 4 days away-wow!).

Beth

Karen31
02-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Good Morning Ladies, Well, I am really trying hard this week to keep my eating good and also add the exercise in. Last night I did 30 minutes on the Gazelle and this morning I have done 300 crunches on the ab lounge ( which is about 15 minutes) I plan to do another 30 minutes on the Gazelle as soon as I finish posting this.

I can't belive that it is already almost March!! WOW!! But Spring can't be far behind!! Can it??? I am so ready for Spring!

It sounds like everyone is doing good with their plans. Tamara, I live in the mountains in Colorado and I used to walk a lot. I would put Ginger (the red pom) in her snuggli ( didn't have Sissy yet) and would walk at least 3 miles each day. UNTIL I felt someone or something following me---- When I turned around there was a BIG silver wolf!! I'm sure he was probably thinking Dinner and dessert! Anyway, thanks to a car that stopped and turned around and finally got him to leave we were both OK and walked home FAST. This was on a main paved road too! So I've been leary of walking outside anymore. Plus there is still so much snow on the ground that it wouldn't be safe to walk right now anyway. We've moved since then but I did find out that up behind us there is always a "family" of bears. Nice to see..... but I think for now I'll do my walking inside.

Well, I am really hoping that I can show a loss when I get on the scales this Friday. I'm not sure why I chose Friday to weigh guess it just seemed a good day.

Hope everyone has a good day. I'll chat more later.

tleef
02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Well I think it's a great idea to wait until March 1 to do our first WI. What does everyone else think?

Karen: I live in Calgary which is only about an hour from the Canadian Rockies, but I have the advatage of getting chinooks here in Calgary. That is when the winds come off the Pacific Ocean, drop all of their precipitation in the Rockies (makes for great skiing) and by the time that wind gets to us it's a nice warm southern wind. In the winter we can go from -30 Celcius to about 0 in a matter of about 8 hours. We love it! The park that we go to is very much on the edge of a residential are so while we're always on the lookout for Coyotes and the likes, we're not too worried about larger beasties and I would definately never walk the dog down there alone, especially when the sun is setting. Also, because it's a residential park (a bonus of living in that neighbourhood) all of the pathways are cleared of snow/ice by the city. There are even public restrooms for walkers/runners and picnic areas that you can reserve by the day.

bethbeth: I agree! It's hard to believe we're almost into March. Like Karen I'm so ready for spring. I've already done a good amount of my spring cleaning and so it'll just be the landscaping that will need to be worked on as the weather improves.

You know it's funny...I see there is a post in the General Diet thread that ends wth...SlimFast Beware! LOL I realize that there are plans out there that also utilize meal replacements...but I can't imagine doing something that you basically drink ALL of your meals. Also...what happens when you reintroduce "real" food? This particular diet that is referred to in the thread looks like it's very similar to Medi-Fast which looks interesting (there are shakes/bars/soups/oatmeals/entrees like chili) but the price of these plans is astronomical! I can't imagine spending that much on a "diet". I really like that SF products are made with the average person in mind. You don't have to commit hundreds of dollars a month to their products. The site will give you alternatives for every meal that don't use any of their products. It's fairly inexpensive and you don't HAVE to order your meals online. Just go to the local supermarket and pick up a can or box of shakes or a box of bars and you're ready to go. No reordering...No planning a month in advance...No big dent to the chequebook or VISA. Needless to say...IMHO I don't think Slim-Fast has anything to worry about. LOL:D

Cheers,
Tamara

bethbeth
02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Ok, I ususally shop at one grocery store, but today I decided to go to another big grocery store in town to look for different things.

I found new Slim Fast stuff! Well, new to me. I just ate a strawberry cheesecake meal on the go bar. YUM. I would eat those even if I wasn't on a diet! I also got my first ever box of muffin bars, I chose blueberry. The store I usually shop doesn't have any. I can't wait to try them.

And, I also bought some baby food! I got sqash and sweet potato to try. They were about 50 cents each. They're not in jars, they're in little plastic cups. They are 35 and 70 calories each, and the ingredients are only the vegetable and water, so no other junk added. You can eat them cold, room temp, or hot and they're easy to take on the go. I'm excited to try them, and expand my options for convenient ways to eat more veggies, especially that I can take with me.

I'm excited about my new little treasures, since I usually get stuck in a rut eating the same things over and over.

Beth

tleef
02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
bethbeth: I also buy baby food...but with a little bit of a different agenda in mind. I but from a company in town that sells organic fruits/veggies that are steamed, pureed and frozen into ice cubes (Stage 1 and 2) and larger cubes (Stage 3 which includes all kinds of interesting things). I also started making my own this summer...butternut squash and gala apple/ sweet potatoe & pear/ brocolli / carrots / green beans, etc.

1. I have parrots and when I'm feeling lazy I just pop a chunk of birdie bread (always have some frozen) and a cube in the microwave and voila...morning breakfast for spoiled birds!

2. I sneak the Stage 1 and 2 cubes into other things I'm making. Chili, Spagetti Sauce, Meatloaf or burgers and lots of soups. I wonder if the family realizes that they're eating so many more veggies than they see! LOL

They don't ever question this because they assume all those cubes are for the birds and because I'm the only one that actually keeps tabs on what's in the freezer nobody is any the wiser. And FYI...who knew you could add about 200 grams of brocolli pureed into spaghetti sauce and not change the flavour...or at least not noticably.

I've tried the Strawberry shortcake ones...they're pretty good but my favorites in the SF bars are: Milk Chocolate Peanut, High Protein Peanut Butter Granola, Blueberry Fruit Crisp and the Chocolate Chip Granola! The last are my absolute favorite and I can only get them when my mom or sister ships them to me or I travel to the US...darn Canadian SF! LOL

gatoramanda: LOL...I see that you went and investigated that "other" diet thread. I also saw that Aphril had already somewhat set the record straight. It's good that even people that aren't on the SF plan still realize its value as an effective weight loss plan.

Cheers,
Tamara

SunshineRunner
02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Tamara - yes, I had to investigate - it annoys me when people think us S/F folks are just shake drinkers...ugh..they really are good for you - and honestly, I don't count the sugar intake because it does not suit me to do so - I know I get tons of healthy stuff into my body daily - but I'm not counting sugars as it's just not on my agenda...for me..not worth the time.

I'm trying to decide btwn. vitamuffins or vitatops...such a hard decision...I know chocolate is the way to go...and I love that they pack so much fiber in...I can't do that on my own even...so I'm ordering tonight!

I'm down for a weekly weigh-in...just let me know when y'all want to do it - I weigh daily (btw, it said 169.8 today...but I'm waiting another 24 hours or so before I make it officially into the 160's!) so it doesn't matter to me which day...I love how active our thread is getting!! Yay S/F!!!

Hmmmm...I'm getting addicted to shopping...someone found a $5.99 bikini set at Victorias Secret website and I had to go online and order...just because of the price - I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a nice bikini...but I'd have never paid full price for it....I ordered a medium...cause that's what my arse is fitting into these days! Yahoo!

Oh...speaking of bikini's...I'm sunburned..yep...we have a cold front coming thru this evening (I don't know...low of 65 F or something like that) but a FL cold front is no fun...so I had to go out and get fried today. Feels good...makes me feel good about myself...I was out for 80 minutes...hmmmm..I just feel good...of course, I was wearing sunglasses for half of that time..sooo..yes, raccoon eyes...but they will go away.

Well...I gotta get something in my belly!

~A

SunshineRunner
02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Tamara - I forgot to tell you - I'm a hungry girl fan...I've been getting her emails for a couple of months now..she always had good stuff coming in those! Oh...I just ordered the vitatops...12 deep chocolate (heaven I hope) and 12 corn muffins - figured those would be good with some dinners....sooo excited!

Karen31
02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey Amanda--- I just had to go to the Victoria's Secret website but I can't find that bikini that you were talking about! I checked out quite a few plus the sales but I didn't see anything--- a little help here?

And I know SF is always getting a bad rap--- but that is because most people think that they have to spend a fortune on something for it to work.. crazy huh!

I'll be back later....

bethbeth
02-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Amanda~
Yipee for 160's!! :)
Congratulations!!

tleef
02-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Amanda! Congratulations on the 160's! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

I'm also really glad that this thread has picked up. It's nice to have other people that are not only dieting but doing the same plan as you (or similar). It makes comparing notes that much easier. Plus I've had so much negative feedback from people about SF since they don't realize that the entire plan has had a major overhaul.

What I know without a doubt is IT'S WORKING FOR ME...and they say that the best plan is the one that you stick to!

I loved the deep chocolate vitamuffins...I wish they had the vita-tops in the stores as well. I think I'm going to order the sampler as it seems to have just about everything in it and then I can get a good idea of favorites and continue to order those online. I imagine that the corn ones would be fabulous with chili or some other southwestern type of food. I'm also really interested in the deep chocolate w/ pomogranate...Yum! I actually buy poms when they're in the supermarket (Nov/Dec here in Calgary) and then take them apart and freeze the fleshy seeds (you must all imagine that I have the most outrageous looking freezer). It's amazing what a small handfull of pom seeds can do for a sweet tooth and they thaw really well. My birds also love them.

I wish I could fit into a medium anything...you lucky girl. I know it will come and so far I've gone from a 20 down to a 16 in some things and even a 14 in one skirt. I can't imagine what it will be like to be able to shop all the time in regular stores again...it's been too many years and even the last time I still needed XL.

I tan at Fabutan as I find it makes me feel good to have some colour. Keep in mind in Calgary we get our first snow fall as early as late September and our last snow fall can be te last week of May! Yes that's right people in Canada we have 3 seasons! Winter! Summer! and Hockey Season! LOL

Karen: I agree that many people feel they need to spend a lot of money to feel like they're getting a good product. While I am not a big fan of the No-Name SF knock-offs (they just don't taste the same even though they're quite a bit cheaper) I'm also not going to go and spend hundreds of dollars on a plan. Lots of people lose all of their weight without ever buying a single meal replacement, I can't imagine using a plan that that is all you ever had! I like the convenience of SF and I think even when I hit goal I'll probably always have some around for a quick breakfast or whatever. I even found that I could handle it when I was sick and couldn't keep normal food down...talk about bonus!

I hope you all have a terrific evening!
Tamara

SunshineRunner
02-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Here is the link for the cheapy bikini at VS - http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/Sale/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=8S-219044&size=M&rfnbr=3690

Tamara - I agree with being on SF for life...I love it and look forward to it every morning! The mediums feel great as does shopping in the normal stores...although I keep spending too much money at the stores and things aren't fitting for very long these days....but I cannot control myself on that aspect.

Oh well....long day tomorrow! Have a great one everybody!

tleef
02-27-2008, 09:39 AM
WooooWeeee! I just got an email from Fiber Gourmet Pasta and they've had a minor problem with some batches of their short cut fettuccine. TOO MUCH FIBER! LOL So they're selling it off at a 40% discount...that's huge!

Here is the link: http://www.fibergourmet.com/FactorySeconds.aspx

Stock up and save a bundle! It's only the plain short cut fettuccine, but still at 21g of fiber per serving and only 120 calories...it's worth getting. I'm placing my order right away!

I had a good day yesterday except that I didn't get any exercise in :( I had to work both jobs so I just couldn't manage it. I intend to do a 1 hour walk with our pooch tonight and also a 1 hour aquasize class. It'll be interesting to see how my bathing suit fits ;)

Better get started at work, but look forward to hearing from everyone today.

Looks like we're going to start out SF Weekly Weigh-In thread on Saturday morning along with our regular monthly thread. So everyone can WI on Saturdays just for record keeping purposes...and to keep each other accountable. I joined a challenge in the Chicks up for a Challenge (10lbs by Easter), but nobody is posting so perhaps I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and be accountable to you ladies...who I KNOW will :kickbutt: when I'm not staying on plan but give me :grouphug: when I am!

Cheers,
Tamara

ps...my wedding invitations came from the printer this morning so I can finally get going with getting them out.

didjaever
02-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Tamara:

Thanks for the info from FiberGourmet... I just ordered a case and am excited to try it..... it looks good. I have had whole wheat pasta before and it tasted like wheat... but this fiber choice sounds good.

bethbeth
02-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Am I really obese?

According to the SlimFast website BMI calculator I am "obese". According to the calculator I will cease to be obese when I hit 182. Then I will be "overweight". I will not be "appropriate" until I hit 151.
First, I don't feel obese. I am definately overweight, but obese sounds a little strong. Second, is it true that I have to get down to between 115-151 to be labeled "appropriate"? I was thinking 160 would put me at a pretty nice weight.

What do you think? How do you determine what your goal weight should be? Do you agree with the BMI calculators?

Just wondering. Hope you all have a great day.
Beth

tleef
02-27-2008, 03:10 PM
beth: There are a lot of things that are not taken into account with BMI calculators. The biggest one is lean muscle mass. A bodybuilder would be considered obese or at least overweight by a BMI calculator but it doesn't take into account lean muscle.

I am at 199 right now and am definately obese...obesity is defined by a BMI of greater than 30 and I'm sitting at 34. My goal is 140lbs and that would put me at a BMI of 24 which is at the high end of Normal...almost on the flux of being "overweight". However, that being said, if I get to 150 and am nice and toned and feel good then I'll stop.

I think that the BMI is a good guideline...but that is all it is a guideline. I think it's about how you feel and what your bloodword says. Obviously a sedentary person would want to try and stay in the "normal" range as they're not giving their body the activity it needs. But an active person can be in the "overweight" category and look fantastic. I would say that anything in the high normal or low overweight is drastically better for your health long-term than in the obese category.

Don't let the word obese bug you too much...after all it's actually a medical term used to decribe someone with a BMI of more than 34 and at your weight you'll be in the "overweight" range soon enough! LOL

Tamara

SunshineRunner
02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm off track, I'm off track, I'm off track!!! If I must confess...it all started with having too much fun at the beach this weekend, eating out all day saturday & sunday...then anniversary dinner monday night...then out of town today so ate lunch out...ugh...this is not me...and I'm back on track tomorrow...just you know...kick my arse now and yell and scream at me...I'm soooo good at this and rarely have these weak moments...but I'm having it and it's not going away...I didn't even get on the scale today...which is probably the first time ever...ugh.

Karen31
02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Amanda, don't beat yourself up so bad!! My goodnes you have done wonderful and tomorrow you will be right back on track. Just look at as a little "BUMP" in the road and keep going!! I know I had to work hard to get myself back but it seems like I'm doing pretty good now. SO I know that you can do it!!

SunshineRunner
02-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Karen - thanks for the kind words...I just felt the need to confess last night...but I'm back in full swing today...of course mom is begging me to go to the county fair w/her tonight...so we shall see how that goes...and I'm going to the strawberry festival on saturday...but I'm back to wise decisions...and less junk! Just a brief lapse yesterday in the world of "I need chocolate!!!!"

Beth - those words are awful aren't they? Obese and overweight!!! Grrr...but let me tell you - it feels wonderful once you get out of those categories. But heck...I'm still overweight until I hit 162!!! I know I look good where I'm at now...but I could be better. Weird thing is that I'm wearing mediums and am still considered overweight....which I am...I had my Body Fat done at the gym last night and read in at 30.3%...which is actually lower than where I thought it would be...but in any case...from one person who started out obese to another...it feels really good to get out of that category!!! I'm never looking back!

Karen31
02-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Good Morning!
Beth, I know how you feel about "obese" I'm just 4'11" and the BMI chart on slimfast only starts at 5' so according to that I have to get below 150 to be out of the obese range! But like Amanda said --- it will feel so good to get out of each of the categories! I remember my brother a few years ago went to the Dr. and he wrote on the chart that he had "X" syndrome. My brother wasn't sure what that was but came home and did research and found out it was obesity! That was an eye opener for him and he started getting real serious about his weight. He says he started getting up at 4:00 am and "waddled" around the block (he didn't want neighbors to see him) And now he has lost over 100 lbs. and runs at least 5 miles each day! So that was his ah ha moment!

Amanda, thanks for link for the bikini. my daugter-in-law is a size 4:mad:;) and I knew she would really like to check that out. I called her as soon as you posted the link and can you believe they were sold out!!! I guess at that price they wouldn't last long! I had never really thought of them to buy from but I think I will keep them in mind so that when we get back to MO. and I want to spend some time in my brother's pool I can have a nice suit! Still need to lose more weight first though!

I bought the 20 Anniversary Edition of Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies and got them yesterday. I haven't had the time to watch it yet but I have them opened and jsut as soon as I get a few things done around here this morning I want to watch it. I may put one of the DVD's on just to listen to the music while I get some cleaning done. :dizzy:

Have a good day everybody and I'll check back later today!

bethbeth
02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
The last few days I have been looking into options for joining a gym or taking some classes (aerobics, step, whatever) somewhere near home. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything for less than $40 a month, and was about to give up on that idea. Then I found out yesterday that I can get free passes at work to a gym! And it's the nicest gym in town that is only about 4 blocks from our apartment. It has lots of classes, pool, free towels, all the nice stuff. It's nothing like the cheap $40 a month gyms I was looking at. So I got 3 free passes yesterday and can get more after I use them! I am SO excited! Now I can go for free! While I could easily get into the habit of going there 4-5 times a week for a couple of hours, I don't think that would be great for my marriage! So, I'm going to try to go once maybe twice a week, we'll see how it goes. And I'll keep doing what I have been doing at home the other days.
Did I mention that I'm really excited?!
Beth

tleef
02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Amanda: Glad to hear that you're back on track and I didn't have to come all the way down to Florida from the frozen north (we got about 2" of snow last night after being +14 celcius yesterday) to :kickbutt:...Oh wait! Darn, maybe that would have been a good thing! LOL Try to be mindful this weekend with all the activities and food options, but if you have a little slip then just get back at it the next day. Just be careful...I had a hard time getting back on track last summer and it resulted in Aug - Dec totally off the rails and a 7.5lbs gain! So just as long as you don't let a weekend become a week that becomes a couple weeks and so on...You're doing SO well and you're an inspiration to me! Keep it up!

Karen: That's too bad that you DIL couldn't get in on the sale...but VS usually has some pretty amazing deals again after summer to clear out bathing suit stock. I think it's pretty fantastic that your DB lost over 100lbs. Did he use a "diet" as well or just exercise? I'm always curious when I hear about such a substantial loss since at the end of my journey I'll be about 90lbs down I hope. My dad has been overweight all his life but I remember him joining Weight Watchers back in the mid-80's and he went from 240 to 150! He also took up running and played raquetball almost every day. He kept that weight off for a couple of years, but he stopped using the tools he learned from WW and started indulging in fried, rich food again as well as a fair bit of booze and the weight came back on. Now he's probably the heaviest he's been in his whole life...I'd guess somewhere around 300-350lbs and at his age (58 and NO I'm not saying that's old!) he should be taking care of himself as things get harder as you age...so I've been told! He's very much got the mindset..."You only live once", but all I can think is...so, why wouldn't you want to live as long as you can! Let me know what you think of the Sweatin to the Oldies set. I still haven't even cracked my Yoga Booty Ballet and I've had it for 6 months at least.

beth: I pay $40/month to be with Curves, but I'm ok with that for now. My contract is up in June so I think SO and I will join the same club as one of my close friend's hubby goes to as she'll be joining soon as well. She's currently pregnant with identical twin girls (36 weeks along and MASSIVE). Her last child was born at 31 weeks so her OB/GYN who specializes in high-risk multiples is shocked that she's still pregnant. They'll induce her if she makes it to 38 weeks. I'm so incredibly excited about those babies. **more on this below! LOL It's really cool when your employer makes it easy for a person to get active. I think ALL employers should have some program that assists their personnel in keeping active and healthy. Imagine how much money that would save over time. People that are overweight tend to have more health problems long-term...so to keep your employees healthy is going to not only same the company money but also the government health system (who should reward employers who participate). That's just my $0.02! I hope you love the gym...why would it not be good for your marriage if you went a couple of times a week? Surely your SO wants to see you healthy and happy!

OK...continued from above. I love that all of my girlfriends are having babies! I had my DD when I was just 19 and all my friends thought I was nuts...but it was what I did and it was hard, but she's a spectacular kid and I guess with having her so young I get to have fun being the "Cool Mom". It's been really fun and she tells me everything and when she tries to fib I can spot it right away (I told her when she was 2 and from then on that when she lied she got a dot in the centre of her forehead that only I could see, you should have seen her at like 8 years old trying to lie and cover her forehead at the same time) hilarious and it's still somewhere in her subconcious even now cause she gets this look when she's not being truthful). Anyhow as you guys all know I'm getting married June 1/08 and it's to DD's father. We got together in 1991, had DD in 1993 and then separated in 1997. We stayed really good friends and in 2006 we got back together. Our wedding date is the 17th anniversary of our first date! LOL How Old Am I! LOL Anyhow when we were not together I talked to my mom about getting my tubes tied and she said "but what if you meet your dream man and he wants children?" I said "MY Dream man won't want more children...he'll love that we will be able to go travel the world at 40 and DD will be grown and in University". Well I never did get the operation and then when SO and I reunited we both were adamant that we did not want more children we tell DD...Why would we, we did it perfect the first time! Now I get to live vicariously through all of my girlfriends who are having their first and second children (most in their thirties now) and think about how their kids won't even be in school yet and DD will be totally self sufficient...or at least grown up enough that we can go travelling and she can stay home alone. That's a long story but it gives you girls a little more background on me and mine.

Have a terrific day!

PS: Scale still isn't budging even with walking every day and keeping calories below 1300 for the whole week so far. Will have to see what Sat. WI says!

Tamara

bethbeth
02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey guys!
First off, Yippee, I made this months goal (see signature). I deserve a dancing carrot: :carrot: I love those guys! :)
I am so stoked to have hit the 20 pound mark. I had to weigh myself about 4 times this morning to believe it. I worked SO hard this last week to try to make it, but wasn't sure that I would.
I really never thought I could do this when I started trying to lose weight in November. When I started on 3FC about a month ago, I set 180 as the goal on my profile and ticker and really didn't even think I could do that. Today I updated my goal weight to be 160. It's a little scary to see my ticker change from saying "10 pounds to go" to "30 pounds to go", but now I have more confidence that I can do it. I know I will have set backs and get discouraged, but I need to just stick with it!
Tomorrow starts a new month and I'm excited to start some new goals. My goals for March are to excerise 1000 minutes and to lose 6 more pounds. I need to work hard!
Thank you guys for all your encouragement! I appreciate you a lot.
Keep posting! Do you have any goals for March?
Beth

Karen31
02-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Hello Everyone! It seems like it is pretty quiet around here today! Sure hope everyone is all OK!

Tamara, my brother did do really good with his weight loss and I'm really proud of him. He told me that he decided to drink the Glucerna shakes because they seemed to be more nutritious. I tried them and I just couldn't get past the taste!! YUCK!! He also told me that he ate lots of salads, and watched his portions. But he is also in the process of writing a book. He has said that he would like to see if what he did would help others. He has a lot written but hasn't got it formalized yet and he is pretty "secretive" about just how he managed to do all this. Even to me and the rest of the family. I LOVE HIM but I wish he wouldn't be so silent about it!!
And I love you story. It is similar to mine. I met my hubby and we got married in 1970. We had two sons and then life kind of happened and we ended up getting divorced in 1982. He went on with his life and remarried and so did I. Well, neither of those marriages worked for either of us. In August of 1992 I called him ( I was living in Kansas at the time) we talked for a few weeks then decided that we really wanted to be with each other. He came and picked me up and we got married again on New Year's Eve 1992. Funny how life works out some times!!

Beth, congrats on meeting your goal this month! I'm still doing some thinking about whether I want to set a goal for March or just take it one weigh in at a time. You have really done great!

Well, I got busy today and I haven't done anything on the Gazelle yet. So guess I'll go and do that and watch Ghost Whisperer too! I'll be watching for the new thread tomorrow and Good Luck to everybody for the new month!

karmuz
02-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Am I really obese?

According to the SlimFast website BMI calculator I am "obese". According to the calculator I will cease to be obese when I hit 182. Then I will be "overweight". I will not be "appropriate" until I hit 151.
First, I don't feel obese. I am definately overweight, but obese sounds a little strong. Second, is it true that I have to get down to between 115-151 to be labeled "appropriate"? I was thinking 160 would put me at a pretty nice weight.

What do you think? How do you determine what your goal weight should be? Do you agree with the BMI calculators?

Just wondering. Hope you all have a great day.
Beth

Beth,
I personally DO NOT believe the BMI calculators. They are just a tool, and a good measure for the general population, however, I know that I have never personally felt obese at my current weight.
According to most charts, I am 2lbs away from being "overweight" but slimfast tells me 4lbs.
so... the other week i bought my first pair of size 8 pants. how much of that is vanity sizing i don't know.. but i don't feel obese. my goal weight is still within the "overweight" category. i'm fine with that because i know how good i'll feel and look and that is all that matters.

SunshineRunner
03-01-2008, 08:00 AM
ok...I know we said we were going to start a weekly weigh in thread...well..I'm too hung over to be the one to start it, so when I'm more sober tomorrow, I'll come back and post once good ol T starts it...or beth...y'all are both sooooo active these days!! ;)

Anywho...I'm holding at 170lbs...but that is because I've essentially taken this week off ...Monday I'll be back full steam ahead...I can't complain cause even though I'm still a bit wasted from last night...I haven't gained any weight...and I've eaten like a cow this week...but I'm not really caring about that right now...anyways, have tons to fill you ladies in on and have lots I want to say...but mom is waiting for me to get her and drive 3 hours to the Strawberry Festival...sounds healthy right??? Sure...strawberry shortcake, milkshakes, chocolate dipped...ugh...trouble...but I like it :)

See you all tomorrow, have a great day...I will make time to catch up asap!!!

jaxjob
03-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi everyone,

We're getting really busy here. This week has gone reasonably well - scale at home says I'm down, except Thursday, when I had a blip up - of course that was TOPS day. So although the scale at home has me down a pound and a bit, I'm not changing the ticker until next week when it hopefully shows up at TOPS. Eating has been going really well and I've been feeling good about it too.

bethbeth - I use the BMI charts as a tool, to help me pick a goal and to see how things are versus average. I find them useful that way, but I'm only really going to define myself as having reached goal once I am happy with how my body looks/feels/performs etc. If that's above or below the goal I've currently selected, then so be it. I think you have to be happy with how your body is, if you feel the BMI charts unrealistic for you, then you are probably right. After all, we are all different. As for the ticker weight seeming a big jump - you can always do as you did before, and set your ticker for a smaller jump, then readjust it as you go. My goal is actually below my ticker end point, but I don't want that staring me in the face so I am keeping the ticker at 20lbs.

karmuz - I too have size 8 pants (actually my best fitting jeans), although I am sure they are larger than the old 8s in my closet (which are not stretchy and do NOT fit right now). I don't really care about the numbers, they are as useful (or not) as the BMI. It felt good when I bought them but since then I have bought other clothes in 10s and even a size 12 dress that fits perfectly. It will be a major event for me to get back into the old 8s but otherwise it's just another number...

Amanda - a week off now and then is OK. You've been going so hard since September. It's good to know that you can maintain too.

Tamara - we had a bunch of snow too - on Thursday, but it's all gone again now, back to ice on the sidewalks. DH is going to Calgary today to help his brother move to another house, so it should be OK to stay on plan for me with just the boys.

Breakfast time now and all the boys are hungry...

Karen31
03-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Good Morning everyone! Just a quick pop in this morning. I did lose a pound this week so I wanted to get that posted so I can account for it! I have changed my ticker and it felt good to move it down --- even if it was just a pound! Be back later!!